IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

dllcamo May 21st, 2012 10:46 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

From Schellsburg Pa.=close to Bedford Pa.

susie2u May 28th, 2012 10:32 PM

I am gardening in East Texas, I grow Heirloom veggies the organic way with lots of compost . Every season I grow something unusual or hard to grow for my area, this year it's Artichokes .

pjpshred May 29th, 2012 07:27 AM

Santa Monica, CA - small yard and city plot vegetable gardening. The Petaluma store is awesome by the way. I look forward to visiting the Mansfield store on a soon to be begun cross country trip.

AzGirl May 29th, 2012 11:23 AM

I don't think I ever chimed in here! I'm in Surprise, Arizona, which is about 25 miles northwest of Phoenix. I garden organically in my suburban backyard. I've just about doubled my garden space this year and with a couple exceptions am growing all OP heirloom varieties (mostly Baker Creek seed!). Happy gardening everyone!

ChristinaJoMD May 29th, 2012 01:45 PM

I live 45 minutes Northeast of Dallas, Tx. Now zone 8. By next month, I'll have 12 4x8 beds. I have 10 chickens(five that are laying). Trying to be a little greener, and curious to find out how much food I can grow. I am dreaming of irrigation system, with timer! Growing tomatoes, sweet potatoes, eggplant, peppers h & s, cukes, mexican sour gherkins, potato onions,masai green beans, chinese red noodle beans, and my fav.....garlic! Oh, and herbs thrown in.

ChristinaJoMD May 29th, 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie2u (Post 930184)
I am gardening in East Texas, I grow Heirloom veggies the organic way with lots of compost . Every season I grow something unusual or hard to grow for my area, this year it's Artichokes .

Me,too! Although, it's not going as well as I'd like. I would be interested to see how you do, since we may be close neighbors. I'm growing Purple of Romagna. If I can keep them alive through the heat and mulch this winter, hopefully they will flower next year. If you have any pictures, share! I can dream about what mine might become.

I sprouted some chayote squash (mirliton) and I'm seeing how that goes....

Tfhodges July 11th, 2012 03:04 PM

I live in Salem, Alabama, near Auburn University.

My wife and I have been gardening for about 25 years, and have been organic for the past 8 years or so. Since "discovering" heirloom tomatoes a few years ago, it's all we grow now, and lots of 'em. We save seeds and we preserve the garden bounty each year, enjoying the fruits of our labor year round. Recently, we've gone to about a 85% vegetarian diet due to all the factory farms and the **** our Corporate Masters have passed off as food for the past 30-40 years, not to mention the 100% more healthy way of living. Any meat we now eat is grass-fed, grass-finished, ABX- and hormone-free, and/or wild game and wild-caught fish. I am most proud that my 8-year-old daughter is learning how to provide fresh, healthy food for our family. I love my calling to homestead, even when the work seems overwhelming (the day job cuts into the fun much of the time ;o). The rewards are priceless. Looking forward to learning more about growing, preserving and preparing REAL food!

italigarden July 11th, 2012 03:47 PM

Elizabethtown or affectionately known as 'E-Town' Kentucky. 45 mins south of Louisville. (Where the movie of the same name with Orlando Bloom was filmed) :)

I do flower bed & container gardening until I can find a some good acreage and build.
I do tomatoes in the flower beds all around my back deck and pepper/cukes & herbs in big plastic containers. I tend to gravitate toward italian vegetables and have some imports growing.

GreenfieldBob July 11th, 2012 06:04 PM

I live in Greenfield, Indiana, just east of Indianapolis.
I have 2 small gardens, but went to the farmers market today.

reavilh July 11th, 2012 07:45 PM

I live about 60 miles northeast of Baker Creek.