IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

ADCarter1 April 7th, 2012 10:01 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

North of Baltimore in Maryland's beautiful farm country. And, although I am not religious, I thank the good Lord every day for allowing me to live on this little slice o' heaven.

Txsharker April 9th, 2012 06:32 PM

I live about fifty-five miles West of Houston in a tiny town sort of on the cusp of the Texas hill country. A great place to grow watermelons and okra! I'm a single dad and my three year old son plus myself mess around in our garden a lot. We don't really even care if anything grows to be honest. We both just like to be outside.

hippioflov April 9th, 2012 09:27 PM

Living the farm life in north Georgia. On our little farm we raise tons of veggies - I've been really lucky with beans, tomatoes, watermelons, and hot peppers - a few hens, and the occasional pig. We also have just starting to produce orchard and a few grape vines with plans to add more. I've seen very few Georgians here. :(

nelsonturner April 11th, 2012 02:29 PM

I live in the northern San Joaquin Valley in Modesto, CA. I've been gardening since 1968. Taught school for 35 years (science and math) and had a wholesale bedding plant nursery for about 20 years. I have purchased tomato plants once in 44 years (wanted Floramerica tomatoes and I didn't have any, so I bought a six pac and never grew them again. They were tasteless). Our area has almost perfect weather (climate) for growing vegetables. Hot, dry summers and mild winters. Plants slow their growth during December and January but grow well for the rest of the year.

nelsonturner April 11th, 2012 03:41 PM

I have 3 4 ft by 20 ft raised beds and the rest of my garden in 25 gallon cans and wine barrels (cut in half), plus other containers. The problem with lumber is that it rots. My raised beds and half barrels are made of wood. You shouldn't use wood preservatives as it could work itself into the crops you are growing. So, what to do? I have lined the wooden beds and barrels with black polyethylene. If you line the bottom of the barrels, make sure it can drain. Water-logged soil will kill most plants. I use black poly because the clear poly only lasts a year or two before uv light from the sun crystallizes any exposed poly. The poly will then shatter.

The general principle is that, if possible, have no lumber contact the soil and keep the lumber as dry as possible.

mikejrsmother April 12th, 2012 08:52 PM

Mid-Michigan here! So excited for my tomatoes this year! The Bonnie's Best that I ordered from Baker's Creek have come up wonderfully, and have true leaves now! I am planning on canning my fruits and vegitables for the first time this year (after canning just pears last year from our two trees)! Generally, just trying to stay away from GMO's because my son has over 25 food allergies, and this is the best way to keep his food the purest.

bixbyok April 16th, 2012 02:04 PM

Bixby, Oklahoma (Biggs-bee, if you're an Okie)
Bixby is considered "The Garden Spot of Oklhahoma" due to the fertile Arkansas River bottom soil and was made famous by the amount of produce that used to be grown here, and shipped out by rail.
We still pride on our produce, but sod farms have taken over as the main cash crop.

booboo April 28th, 2012 10:49 AM

I live in the valleys of SE Wales in the UK. I am originally from Atlanta, GA but moved to Wales about 7 years ago with my Brit DH. I've been re-learning how to garden in a totally different climate ever since.

Room To Grow April 28th, 2012 03:30 PM

I live in Plainville Ga...very close to jrljames..my husband and I live on 10 acres. I have only a small garden because I dont have a tractor or a large enough tiller to till more. I plant all heirlooms and buy from Bakers Creek. I dont use any pesticides. So I fight with the bugs all summer. Seems like there are new bugs every year to have to fight with. I love being out in the country and not right next to people. I dont think I could ever go back to living in a subdivision. Hey jrljames if you ever want to talk gardens give me a shout.
Deborah

moss April 28th, 2012 07:44 PM

We live in S. Georgia, where ferns grow wild and palmettos are common. Here to learn and make improvements.