IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

MileHighMike December 25th, 2011 12:29 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

I'm in Denver, CO.

KentuckyGardenGirl December 25th, 2011 09:52 PM

Western Kentucky here. I've only lived here two years- moved from the pacific northwest- and I'm still learning how to garden in the climate here. The weather, soil, pests, etc are SOOOO much different here so I'm doing a lot of talking to local gardeners about what works for them as well as lots of trial and error. Last summer was almost a complete bust so we'll be doing lots of stuff different in the coming season.

We hope to get over to your neck of the woods some day soon to check out the village.

LAC December 25th, 2011 10:46 PM

Born in Wisconsin, raised in the UP of Michigan................live in CT..New England....and have never looked back.

w8in4dave December 26th, 2011 07:45 AM

I was born and raised in S. Ca. , but have raised 4 kids and a garden in S.E. Michigan :) ...

roper2008 December 26th, 2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 868938)
I was born and raised in S. Ca. , but have raised 4 kids and a garden in S.E. Michigan :) ...

I was born in Louisiana, but raised in Southern California. What city were you
raised in? I was raised in Whittier.

Oh, I see Hawthorne.

Gary December 26th, 2011 03:25 PM

I was born and grew up in Spartanburg, South Carolina. With school and work I have lived in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Kentucky. I am retired after many years as Director Of Facilities at the Bellewood Presbyterian Home For Children founded in 1849 http://www.bellewood.org/ in Anchorage, Kentucky near Louisville, KY. I live several miles from the Home and continue to have contact with staff and friends there.

When I began having serious health problems I renewed my interest in gardening because of the therapeutic value. In the early '90s I had to undergo angioplasty and in 1995 I had a heart attack and had a triple by-pass. My recovery was remarkable and I was back to work early. Four years later I had a second heart attack and had a second triple by-pass; my recovery was long and difficult and I had to retire from my work.

The winter of 2000 I decided I would limit my gardening to growing mostly heirloom tomatoes. Not too long after this I attended the funeral of a dear friend who had grown up in Eastern Kentucky. There I met Jerry Cantrell, the new director at Bellewood Home where I worked for many years. He had heard that I was interested in growing tomatoes and mentioned that his Mama, Lettie, of West Liberty, Kentucky, had a tomato that I might enjoy growing. She sent me seed and I loved it so much I have been growing it ever since; I have shared seed with folks around the world. Lettie died in 2005 at the age of 96; "Granny Cantrell's German tomato is the only tomato she ever grew. Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange listed it in their 2007 catalog.

Some years ago I met Merlyn Niedens, master seed grower. Merlyn was my mentor and friend; I shared the Granny Cantrell seed with him and about 30 other Kentucky Heirloom varieties he listed with Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Merlyn died in May 2009 working in the garden with his tomato plants. What a great loss to us all; he preserved and produced many seed/plant varieties and we are all enriched by his many efforts!

My passion for growing and preserving heirloom tomatoes has not only made an impact for hundreds of gardeners but has been a driving force for me; My last triple by-pass in 1999 left me almost immobile in my recliner, depressed and forced into retirement. With the help of a friend we found some heirloom tomatoes and I discovered Thieneman's Nursery -- http://www.thienemans.com/ -- which I have assisted the last eleven years with planning the tomatoes and peppers to grow each spring. They give me nursery space to germinate my own plants and that is good.

You can discover "lost" treasures in unexpected places. Start a tradition in your family. Grow an heirloom flower, vegetable, shrub or tree and share your love of gardening with family and friends. It will live on and you will be remembered by it. What better memories to leave those you love!

Gary Millwood
Louisville, Kentucky

jcampbelljr December 26th, 2011 04:26 PM

Pensacola FL

roper2008 December 26th, 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 869063)
I was born and grew up in Spartanburg, South Carolina. With school and work I have lived in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Kentucky. I am retired after many years as Director Of Facilities at the Bellewood Presbyterian Home For Children founded in 1849 http://www.bellewood.org/ in Anchorage, Kentucky near Louisville, KY. I live several miles from the Home and continue to have contact with staff and friends there.

When I began having serious health problems I renewed my interest in gardening because of the therapeutic value. In the early '90s I had to undergo angioplasty and in 1995 I had a heart attack and had a triple by-pass. My recovery was remarkable and I was back to work early. Four years later I had a second heart attack and had a second triple by-pass; my recovery was long and difficult and I had to retire from my work.

The winter of 2000 I decided I would limit my gardening to growing mostly heirloom tomatoes. Not too long after this I attended the funeral of a dear friend who had grown up in Eastern Kentucky. There I met Jerry Cantrell, the new director at Bellewood Home where I worked for many years. He had heard that I was interested in growing tomatoes and mentioned that his Mama, Lettie, of West Liberty, Kentucky, had a tomato that I might enjoy growing. She sent me seed and I loved it so much I have been growing it ever since; I have shared seed with folks around the world. Lettie died in 2005 at the age of 96; "Granny Cantrell's German tomato is the only tomato she ever grew. Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange listed it in their 2007 catalog.

Some years ago I met Merlyn Niedens, master seed grower. Merlyn was my mentor and friend; I shared the Granny Cantrell seed with him and about 30 other Kentucky Heirloom varieties he listed with Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Merlyn died in May 2009 working in the garden with his tomato plants. What a great loss to us all; he preserved and produced many seed/plant varieties and we are all enriched by his many efforts!

My passion for growing and preserving heirloom tomatoes has not only made an impact for hundreds of gardeners but has been a driving force for me; My last triple by-pass in 1999 left me almost immobile in my recliner, depressed and forced into retirement. With the help of a friend we found some heirloom tomatoes and I discovered Thieneman's Nursery -- http://www.thienemans.com/ -- which I have assisted the last eleven years with planning the tomatoes and peppers to grow each spring. They give me nursery space to germinate my own plants and that is good.

You can discover "lost" treasures in unexpected places. Start a tradition in your family. Grow an heirloom flower, vegetable, shrub or tree and share your love of gardening with family and friends. It will live on and you will be remembered by it. What better memories to leave those you love!

Gary Millwood
Louisville, Kentucky

Thanks for sharing your story Gary. I remember you posting about Granny
Cantrell. Don't remember if it was here or on another forum. I have not
ordered from SESE yet, but will soon. Granny Cantrell will be on my order.
I think it was also you that was growing Zelma Zesta green bean for SESE,
if my memory serves me right.

w8in4dave December 26th, 2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper2008 (Post 868943)
I was born in Louisiana, but raised in Southern California. What city were you
raised in? I was raised in Whittier.

Oh, I see Hawthorne.

I was born in Hawthorne, we kinda moved around .. Lived in Lancaster, Gardena , a few other places :) Never been to whittier ....

Gary December 27th, 2011 07:11 AM

roper2008, I have not grown the Selma Zesta Pole Bean; I only have space for a few herbs, tomatoes and peppers these days. I have listed two sources I know for you.
Happy Gardening to us all!
Gary

Selma Zesta BEAN

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
http://www.southernexposure.com/selm...-g-p-1200.html

Heavenly Seed LLC
http://heavenlyseed.net/vegetablesAB.htm