IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

chickweed November 18th, 2009 11:01 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 408499)
I'm with chickweed on this one :p

Oh, goody! We're neighbors!

w8in4dave November 18th, 2009 11:03 PM

Yea!!!!

geeboss November 19th, 2009 01:14 PM

Across the street from Burke,VA 16 miles from DC my birth place. Just love eating fresh maters and reading.

George

w8in4dave November 20th, 2009 08:11 AM

I was born in Hawthorn Ca. :D I'm a Ca. girl at heart.. I heart Ca. :D

chickweed November 20th, 2009 10:29 AM

I am Virginia Bay Bunny. I heart the Chesapeake Bay (and I have the webbed feet to prove it)!

GardenChic November 20th, 2009 08:18 PM

I live in Atlantic Beach, FL...a suburb of Jacksonville...located in the the N-E part of the state about a mile from the Atlantic Ocean. We are in Zone 9A with sandy yet good soil, too much sun, and rain that can't make up it's mind.

I have seven informal raised beds made of cedar and found objects. My best grower so far has been the West Indian Gherkin Cucumers which seem to want to take over our entire lawn..crazy little buggers. I'm about to attempt pickling for the first time as well.

I also had decent luck with Wapsipinicon Peach, Riesentraube, Cream Sausage, and Speckled Roman tomatoes this year. Blue Lake Bush Beans and Fin de Bagnol did really well also. Purple jalapenos were cool, and the chiles are still growing.

We have an established orange tree that has the most delicious, juiciest oranges I've ever had. We have other small citrus trees, three figs, a peach, and an avocado...all young.

I also have "herb areas." Rosemary, mint, lavendar, lemongrass, lemon balm, oregano, basil, and more are always great growers for me. I have one side of the yard completely lined with rose bushes, a path leading to the pond with various flowers in shades of blue, purple, and white when in bloom, and tropical plants scattered about.

I sell BC seeds, plants, and produce at our local farmers market on weekends. I have fun trying out all kinds of varieties that BC offers. I have failed miserably on many, but I've had my share if successes as well. And I am really looking forward to starting my winter sowing with the help of Baker Creek soon!

Mariposa Gardens November 20th, 2009 08:32 PM

Born and raised in central Florida ( Tampa) I've been transplanted all over the south since marrying, learning to garden in different climes and soils throughout the last 20-something years. Been digging in the dirt and planting seeds since I was 6, and now have 6 acres of Upstate, SC zone 7 heaven, to garden on, along with a new 20x20 clearspan greenhouse ( with heat as of last week)...From bamboo to avocados from seed, you name it, I've probably tried to sprout it, grow it, try it....
We have a small herd of registered American Saanen dairy goats, using their milk for cheese, soap, and lotion making....Trying to get an organic herb market going here, along with fresh cut flowers to sell at our local markets during season.
Right now, working as a registered nurse pays the bills, but I am hoping for something greater when my greenhouse biz takes off.... :)

w8in4dave November 21st, 2009 12:16 PM

Welcome Mariposa :D Good luck with your greenhouse Biz :D

bdwireman December 22nd, 2011 01:34 PM

I live in the Panhandle of Oklahoma.

margez December 22nd, 2011 06:33 PM

I'm in Arizona, about 75 mi east of Phoenix.