IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

francine08 August 4th, 2009 07:03 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Hi,

Southern NH here, where we've been drowned for rain almost the entire month of June and into July this year! We have raised garden beds so the water wasn't too much of a problem, but the lack of sun was! Things are growing now, but everything is late.

Dara77 August 5th, 2009 12:12 AM

Hi, new here, just starting an organic garden in our backyard with my 82 year old grandma. Really excited about it. I live in Palestine, TX halfway inbetween Dallas and Houston. I have been enjoying reading this forum alot.

Kochsgarden August 29th, 2009 07:49 AM

Hi, I live in northwest Ohio, surounded by the great lakes. I live in a subdivison and have an average size lot. I have two gardens, both small one is 10x10 and the other is 8x12. The 8x12 is a large cold frame that I use for starting my peppers and some tomatoes. The 10x10 I grow tomatoes in the corners and fill in the rest with basil,carrots,cucumbers,and lettuce. In the next couple of years were going to be building a house with some land maybe 3 to 5 acres. With all that land I'll have a freezer full each fall.

tomatogeek September 17th, 2009 07:46 PM

I live in barnett mo

SLOHomemaker September 17th, 2009 11:45 PM

San Luis Obispo, CA checking in!

As a Navy brat with a Midwestern mom, we gardened in NorCal, SoCal, Central Iowa (where I was born), Northern Missouri and East-Central Alabama. I spent a summer with my Step-Granny learning about wild edibles (poke salad and dandelions, mostly) and choking down squash and beets slathered in cream and sugar (YUK).

When I was married the first time around, my boys' dad was a farmer boy from India and I learned about veggies from that part of the world. When we divorced in 1989, I tried to raise tomatoes in pots on the patio of our apartment. Learned that you need to actually water them regularly.

Now in SLO, ripped out well-established grass two years ago and trying to grow food. It is going ok; learned that wood bark draws sow bugs and diatomaceaous earth is not their favorite snack. Aluminum foil under strawberries is good. Orange oil, hot pepper flakes and soapy water are anathema to other various pests.

grapenut September 18th, 2009 12:41 AM

I live in western Oregon, fifteen miles west of Salem, I have 4.1 acres of land ( just got it 6 months ago) and have planted over 40 fruit and nut trees and about 60 fruiting shrubs; not counting 20 different kind of grapes and 4 Kiwi vines.:D

w8in4dave September 18th, 2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kochsgarden (Post 346649)
Hi, I live in northwest Ohio, surounded by the great lakes. I live in a subdivison and have an average size lot. I have two gardens, both small one is 10x10 and the other is 8x12. The 8x12 is a large cold frame that I use for starting my peppers and some tomatoes. The 10x10 I grow tomatoes in the corners and fill in the rest with basil,carrots,cucumbers,and lettuce. In the next couple of years were going to be building a house with some land maybe 3 to 5 acres. With all that land I'll have a freezer full each fall.

Kochsgarden I live in Temperance .. :D we are neighbors :)

linda clements September 18th, 2009 11:34 AM

from Linda Clements My husband has a lot of people in the Rome area. I would love to visit your gardens if we are ever up that way. I live in central Florida. You're right about bugs. I've always told everybody, "If a bug can't live in your home, you should move out!". I'll never worry about bug holes in the garden again.

MistyMornings September 19th, 2009 12:29 AM

The boonies in south central MI.

Avanti007 September 21st, 2009 05:47 PM

I love your quote!