IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

vegascowgirl March 31st, 2009 01:50 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Hello from just East of Forsyth,MO. Moved here from Nevada, but grew up all over the country. Here at the ranchstead we have a nice sized raised bed kitchen garden. Our horses and chickens supply the manure and more than a few good laughs.

Betz March 31st, 2009 07:31 PM

Castro Valley, CA, USDA zone 9b, Sunset zone 15. About 15 miles south of Oakland and 25 miles north of San Jose, located in the East Bay. I get mostly bay influenced weather, so things stay pretty temperate during the winter, though according to Pomology web site (http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/chillcalc/index.cfm) I get at least 600 chill hours.

rkintn March 31st, 2009 08:04 PM

I live in NW TN..about 3 hours west of Nashville and about 2 hours north of Memphis. Kinda boring but the weather's not too bad:) I have a couple of raised beds here at my house and a nice big garden w/my mom, sister and BIL at my sister's house.

KonaCarambola March 31st, 2009 08:12 PM

Hey Hey! From sunny Miami originally (Anybody down that way- eat a big ripe carambola for me... the ones we get here are hard and green and sad enough to make you cry- we had 2 trees in the back yard down there.... yummmmm... :)), but now a Tennessee transplant... about an hour and a half south of Nashville. It is incredibly booorrrriiinggggg- but hey! Cost of living is GREAT! :D

MukkRatt March 31st, 2009 08:20 PM

My home, on 2 and 1/2 acres, which I've named 'Boondox Paradise' is in the boonies and on the prairie-wetland terrain of Okeechobee, Florida. Don't let the pretty postcards fool you. They don't show you the mosquitoes, lovebugs, fire ants, wire grass, rattle snakes....well, you get the picture. I probably love it
because of all that and I especially love it after a wet storm and all the frogs come out with their little party horns and play them so loudly you can't hear anything else. Yep, it sounds like thousands of tiny party horns blowing and I'm sure the frogs are all celebrating after a good rain.

rkintn March 31st, 2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaCarambola (Post 252112)
Hey Hey! From sunny Miami originally (Anybody down that way- eat a big ripe carambola for me... the ones we get here are hard and green and sad enough to make you cry- we had 2 trees in the back yard down there.... yummmmm... :)), but now a Tennessee transplant... about an hour and a half south of Nashville. It is incredibly booorrrriiinggggg- but hey! Cost of living is GREAT! :D

Yeah the cost of living is good! Compared to where I'm at, you are living life in the fast lane LOL Welcome to TN:)

KonaCarambola March 31st, 2009 09:47 PM

Yes, I will have to say Mukkratt, I do NOT miss the mosquitoes and the sprayer trucks that follow them on HOT summer nights....

Thanks rkintn :) I've actually been here quite some time, I'm just coming around the past couple of years to where I can appreciate the slowness--- sometimes! :D It's not that bad, really, just a HUGE culture shock from a city that never sleeps to a town where the streets roll up at 8:30 and DONE (but.. but.. but... it's dinner time!!!! lol!)

gerry March 31st, 2009 10:22 PM

I retired from PSU, Portland, OR, where I had a sq ft garden about 15 years ago. I thought I know something about gardening in clay. Was I mistaken!
Now trying to develop vegetable beds in Big Orange Country (that's the clay, not the university! :) ).
Gerry
Knoxville, TN

KonaCarambola March 31st, 2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 252228)
Now trying to develop vegetable beds in Big Orange Country (that's the clay, not the university! :) ).
Gerry
Knoxville, TN

LOL! Isn't it, though?!:D

mythkat April 1st, 2009 08:11 PM

Stagecoach Nevada about 45 minutes south east of Reno. We have 40 acres of sagebrush, rocks and jackrabbits. I have chickens and ducks and will be putting in the raised beds this weekend. I'm lobbying for goats and rabbits but husband is a city boy and these things scare him. :p