IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

westward March 8th, 2009 02:07 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

North Central Idaho. I'm trying the Fireworks tomato this year. Keep the short-season varieties coming!!

SherryLee March 9th, 2009 03:14 AM

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. :) I am not sure where to purchase corn-gluten meal so I could try it. Any suggestions? I have a broadfork, and maybe that would work to dig up the J Artichokes. As for the Buddlias, I am going to cut some of them way back this spring, and see if that helps any.

I am looking forward to planting some of my heirloom tomatoes. Looking forward to spring!

SherryLee

[QUOTE=lovemygsd;233738]Sherry,
As far as the J. artichokes are concerned, if you can dig out the tubers you should be alright....For the crabgrass - handpull before it seeds if it is a small area. Keep your lawn as high as you can since crabgrass needs a lot of sun. You could also try corn-gluten meal as a preemergent but I cannot say of this works or not since I haven't tried it....The buddleia, I have no experience with, so I found a few links that might be helpful to you.]

texman March 9th, 2009 09:59 AM

East Texas-- I think of it as Eden.

Mr Grizzly March 9th, 2009 11:04 AM

Houston, Texas -jewel of the gulf coast.

salty gardener March 9th, 2009 04:37 PM

I live in Sooke BC, Canada.We are on a 2 acre parcel of land on Vancouver Island, and we raise crops to sell at our local market My interests include food history, heirloom tomatoes and beans, cooking ethnic dishes and writing( I am a freelance writer for various places). I discovered Baker Creek seeds last year, think they are fantastic.

looking forward to sharing things on the forums. Anyone have any experience raising walking stick cabbage? I just got some seed this year, planning to plant them like trees along the garden edge.

eastmtn March 20th, 2009 03:48 PM

high desert (over 6500') NM. Going to attempt container gardening inside wire enclosure - top, sides, and bottom. Lots of critters. Will plant wormwood around outside to discourage deer and gophers. Lots of sunshine and wind. The Al-Kuffa tomato seeds are germinating in less than 1 week. Thank you. We have a short growing season. We also have 19 laying hens. All the compost we need and the hens earn their own keep. Attempting to become more self sufficient.

Binaryluv March 20th, 2009 06:10 PM

Hohenwald, TN in middle Tennessee. Interests include gardening, boating and family!

comamma March 26th, 2009 09:17 AM

I live in the Colorado mountains. I grow tomatoes and peppers in a greenhouse for canning salsa. I also grow beans, peas, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, turnips, beets, onions, potatoes, carrots, summer squashes, and cukes. I am an herbalist so I grow several culinary and medicinal herbs. This year I am trying some new things, ground cherry, garlic, and okra. I also have a few flowers, but my heart is in growing food. I garden as organically as I can, and I grow everything from seed. I have found my tomatoes from seed are much stronger and healthier than any I had purchased in the past. I am really enjoying the wealth of information here, great forum.

ddhunter March 26th, 2009 11:16 AM

I live in Southeast Missouri in the Ozark Plateau, so I have clay and ROCKS! Totally alien from the loam that was my home in Eastern Arkansas. I love to raise tomatoes, peppers of all types, beans, summer and, my favorite, Winter squash. We live on 43 acres of timber and ROCKS! My wife is from here, so I guess I Kinda knew what I was getting into, but man, the ROCKS! I cleared the garden spot last year, did ok, but made amends with lime, wood ash, composts, and manures. Also removed lots of ROCKS!

tracerracer March 26th, 2009 05:56 PM

SW Oregon, now (6 yrs)....Growin' up went to 17 schools K-12 all in the PNW, 38 moves total (counting in town moves too ;) ), military 'brats' have nothin' on Schwabies.........Love where I live now, fairly certain I'd set my stuff on fire before I pack again. We have 3 acres, just enough to mess with without killin' yerself........I generally have 15-25 tomato plants, about 10 are new to me this yr, the rest...Goliath, black cherry, sungold, Cherokee Purple, pineapple are my standbys. I also grow 10 or so varieties of peppers. ONE zucchini is my limit ;) and frankly, whatever catches my eye............Glad too have found this site, and I have to say, Baker Creeks customer service certainly meets my standards (they tend to be high). Really glad I found them................T