IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

Garlicluvr February 25th, 2009 02:26 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

I'm in Maryland near the Chesapeake Bay. I grow a large vegetable garden every year and plant mostly Heirlooms. I also grow Garlic in raised beds, Blueberries, blackberries, and rasberries. I am starting a small back yard orchard this spring about 8 fruit trees peaches, apples, sweet and pie cherries, and plan to put in 8 or so grape vines. I grew up gardening, my grandparents on both sides had large vegetable gardens and fruit trees, and we had a garden most years. Just last year I moved from an apartment where I had just a small area around the patio to grow a few herbs and tomatoes to a place in the country with 4.5 acres and a couple of greenhouses. I am anxious to try new varieties of heirloom tomatoes, peppers and melons.

lovemygsd February 26th, 2009 03:02 PM

I live in Idaho and this is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while :) I'm on the cusp of 4b/5a in the high desert which presents some unique gardening challenges. We are extremely arid, hot days, very cool nights, windy (when I say windy it means we could farm the darn stuff here) at around 6000 ft.

I grew up in the garden and have been tending my own for about 5 years. I am a proud mom to a 2 year old and hope to pass on the gardening 'bug' to her. For my 'real' job, I work with invasive plant species/noxious weeds so if any one has any questions in that area, I might be able to help.

Glad to be joining some like-minded folk!

namaste

Jacquie February 26th, 2009 03:12 PM

I live in NorthEast Oklahoma...this is my 3rd year here and my first year with ALL heirloom seeds!
I have gardened in South MS, the MI thumb, Eastern PA, Naples, Italy, Ketchikan, Adak, and Bethel, Alaska!

SherryLee March 2nd, 2009 10:05 AM

:) Thank you so much for your offer to help with invassive plants and weeds. I am glad to take you up on your offer as I have been searching for some answers.

I have crab grass that I can't control running along the edges of my vegetable garden. I would love to do something to keep it out of the garden area.

I also have Jerusalem Artichoke that are invasive and I need to find a good way to keep them from spreading or keeping them contained.

I also have several Buddleia that are moving around in my garden. I don't mind a few and I love the variety of color, but want them to stay in one place. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
SherryLee

[[/QUOTE] For my 'real' job, I work with invasive plant species/noxious weeds so if any one has any questions in that area, I might be able to help.]

namaste[/QUOTE]

Michelle8 March 2nd, 2009 07:38 PM

I live in East TN. Have lived here my whole life,all 45 yrs of it. My parents are from the outskirts of Boston, Lynn. They moved here just before I was born. They had a garden once:) They discovered gardening wasn't for them. My father-in-laws cousin always had a big garden. I loved eating the food out of it. My mother-in-law taught me how to can. I have tried a garden 2x and failed miserably(can you say WEEDS). Last year I tried again with a new game plan. Of course the only plants I put in were the ones I got a Home Depot, although the bean seeds were heirloom from a local nursery. It was a huge success:) Now I am planting a slightly larger one. I have 6 blueberry bushes, planted 3 cherries, 3 apples, a plum and 2 peaches last year. This year I am planting 3 grape vines and 2 strawberry beds.

I started the garden and fruit trees b/c of the economy. I didn't and don't trust what is happening with food prices.

I have the whole family involved. The kids have to weed and pick. my 12yr old son loves pumpkins and he had his own patch that he kept up with. He loved the harvest and the pies!!

I am thrilled to be here and am learning soooo much.

tweed March 3rd, 2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemygsd (Post 230290)
I live in Idaho and this is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while :) I'm on the cusp of 4b/5a in the high desert which presents some unique gardening challenges. We are extremely arid, hot days, very cool nights, windy (when I say windy it means we could farm the darn stuff here) at around 6000 ft.

I grew up in the garden and have been tending my own for about 5 years. I am a proud mom to a 2 year old and hope to pass on the gardening 'bug' to her. For my 'real' job, I work with invasive plant species/noxious weeds so if any one has any questions in that area, I might be able to help.

namaste

Welcome to idig lovemygsd! :)

lovemygsd March 3rd, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLee (Post 233009)
I have crab grass that I can't control running along the edges of my vegetable garden. I would love to do something to keep it out of the garden area.

I also have Jerusalem Artichoke that are invasive and I need to find a good way to keep them from spreading or keeping them contained.

I also have several Buddleia that are moving around in my garden. I don't mind a few and I love the variety of color, but want them to stay in one place. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Sherry,
As far as the J. artichokes are concerned, if you can dig out the tubers you should be alright (or get some pigs - they love them!) Repeated digging should at least keep them under control

For the crabgrass - handpull before it seeds if it is a small area. Keep your lawn as high as you can since crabgrass needs a lot of sun. You could also try corn-gluten meal as a preemergent but I cannot say of this works or not since I haven't tried it.

The buddleia, I have no experience with, so I found a few links that might be helpful to you. I assume your buddleai is also referred to as butterfly bush or buddleja

I am PMing you the links since it won't let me post them as I am a new member

HTH!

fullmoon March 7th, 2009 02:11 PM

I live in Rhodes in Marshall county Iowa, 7 miles south of State Center in zone 5. Or 30 miles NE of Des Moines. I have 12- 3' wide by 50' long rows spaced on 7' centers(so my riding mower fits between) that grows a variety of vegies. I grow melons, tomatoes, squash,cukes and peas on trellises the 50' length of my rows. Also have 2'x50' row of asparagus(Purple Passion & Jersey Knight) and 6'x40' rhubarb along with 26 fruit trees including apricots,apples,sweet and pie cherry,Asian pear, reg pear, Japanese plums, peaches , nectarines, currant and gooseberry bushes. It keeps me busy during the summer but it's my passion!

South Africa March 8th, 2009 03:15 AM

i'm from Cape town South Africa.....3rd year buying seeds from BC and still trying to curb the urge to splurge.....very expensive with the current exchange rate....run a backyard nurseryfrom home and have been growing veg and herbs for 10 years. Supply a small amount of peeps with seed...hoping to expand this venture .
Warm regards
Shannon

American_Gardener March 8th, 2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South Africa (Post 237169)
i'm from Cape town South Africa.....3rd year buying seeds from BC and still trying to curb the urge to splurge.....very expensive with the current exchange rate....run a backyard nurseryfrom home and have been growing veg and herbs for 10 years. Supply a small amount of peeps with seed...hoping to expand this venture . Can you perhaphs advise on Phyto certificates and wholesale orders?
Warm regards
Shannon

Hi Shannon..

Nice to see someone from S.Africa here. I was just hearing about the severe drought you've been having there recently and another guy i know from Rheenendal was just saying today how it seems the black tomatoes are handling the drought the best. Also says he's starting to loose all the red, pink and green tomatoes to the extreme heat and UV rays.

I sure hope you're doing ok. Hope you're doing better than he is. I Love the pictures of your gardens too... It looks like a great little setup.

Anyways, You'll have to get ahold of someone on the BC staff to ask about the wholesale and certificate.. and I'm sorry i can't help identify that tomato pic either.

Just thought i'd welcome you to the forumn.. hope you'll stick around and tell us all about your gardening projects.

Dave