IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

Georgia Girl February 18th, 2009 04:44 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Leesburg, GA in the southwest part of the state....

WIshed I worked at Bakers Creek.

caminante February 18th, 2009 07:19 PM

An island off the coast of Washington State, within sight of British Columbia--snow-covered volcano to the east, Vancouver Island & the San Juan archipelago to the west. Our hottest summer temperatures get to about 78 degrees (rarely) and in the winter down to maybe 15 or so. Long, cool, wet springs and dry summers--practically no summer rain, but lots of cool cloudy days. Great for strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peas, beans, lettuce, cabbage...not so good for tomatoes, peppers, melons. Grandparents moved here over 100 years ago from Nebraska & Arkansas and I'm carrying on the tradition of planting watermelons every year for old times' sake. One year I got one, under glass, which I think is better than my grandpa ever did! Pretty area, but pricey nowadays; thinking about a move to Missouri or Kentucky where we could afford something bigger than our 2000 square foot garden.

Jennie_in_Iowa February 19th, 2009 02:43 PM

Oh my goodness! 69 pages of members!

I'm in Iowa. Hard to guess, I know. :p

I live in Des Moines and that's where my kitchen garden is, but I'm starting a CSA with some friends 45 miles north of me. So, I deal with both Zone 5 and Zone 4.

Retrocon February 19th, 2009 05:23 PM

Baltimore, MD!

gbwhite February 25th, 2009 02:22 AM

I live in Abington, PA. We still have possible snow for the next month and frost until April 15th. Going be trying Square Foot Gardening for the first time this year. I'm relatively new to gargening but my wife has tons of gardening experience.

daisy February 25th, 2009 02:48 AM

I'm in Chester Co. PA.

tweed February 25th, 2009 04:32 AM

Welcome to idig daisy! :)

Moabmoni February 25th, 2009 11:41 AM

I live in Moab, Utah which is in the southeast corner of Utah (four corners region). Moab is where Arches national park is - all the red sandstone arches and slickrock that you see on tv commercials. Gardening is a challenge here with the sandy arid soil and summer temperatures of 110+. But a challenge that I love. I am fairly new to heirlooms and trying to learn more. my 11 year old son is an avid gardener too. He loves to grow unusual veggies that aren't commonly found at the average gardencenter which is how I found Baker's Creek. He especially loves to grow purple veggies. Last year it was purple sweet potatoes and purple peruvian potatoes. I love all the information and experience that is available here!
Moabmoni

muppetcow February 25th, 2009 01:07 PM

I live in Omaha, NE. My garden is small. My dreams are big. The two often clash, but it's a fun ride.

feedmefarms February 25th, 2009 01:48 PM

I live in Freestone County (Central East Texas between Palestine & Waco, Houston & Dallas), Texas but was raised mostly in Brazil. We live on my fiance's ancestrial land. We actually live on a 200 acre portion of it but there are three different properties within a 5 mile radius that equal 1,200 acres. The portion that we live on belonged to his paternal great grandparents. The farm is officially 107 years old even though his family has had land in the area since 1857 or so. I just moved here last year, before that I was a restaurant owner & chef (did what I love to do) and before that I worked for the evil/dark side (AIG & AIM Investments, did what I had to do to make a paycheck) but could no longer stomach the business after 911.
We raise Brahman cattle (it's a family tradition) but want to return to our farming roots (his family raised peanuts, watermelons, sorghum, crowder peas and sold them at their general store). My family roots involve my mom (who is American) being raised on her grandparents East Texas farm.
I just ordered about 30 different seed varieties from Baker Creek, I am going to experiment and see what I can grow. I am new to growing so I am keeping my black thumbs crossed. I ordered a bunch of books from Baker Creek also so at least I will be well read on the subject if nothing else. I love Baker Creek's concept and decided they were the company to get my $$$$.
I love to cook more than anything else in this world and want nothing more than to prepare things that I have actually grown. If it turns out that we are good at this then I want to get into CSA farming in one way or another. I used to be the restaurant on the other side of the farmer and always was fascinated with people that can grow things!
I have lived and traveled all over the world but I am SO VERY happy to finally be on the farm!