IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

Patio Princess February 8th, 2009 11:09 AM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Chester County, PA (southeast PA, a Philadelphia suburb). Think I'm zone 6-7. All I know is that I'm always the green area of the last frost date map on the backs of seed packets, and my last frost date is May 15th! :D

Patio Princess February 8th, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camochef (Post 81464)
Howdy,
I live in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; zone 6b, on five acres, where I use a portion to raise heirloom tomatoes, leeks, peppers and tried sweet corn a number of times but the deer seem to get all the corn. Was sitting outside this afternoon staring at the snow covered garden areas, dreaming of this years crops, when ten deer (including 3 bucks) ran right within twenty feet of my bench. At least they never bothered the tomatoes or leeks. Had 81 varieties of heirlooms last year, and ordered seeds for over 65 additional varieties this year to add to last years. Just found this site today and am looking forward to being an active participant.

I LOVE Gettysburg! (I'm about 80+ miles away). I used to be a Civil War reenactor, and spent quite a bit of time there. Such a beautiful area...and such amazing history. (I don't like the traffic circle, though, I must admit!)

Desert Rat February 11th, 2009 12:43 PM

New to this so pardon my slips. I garden in the Phoenix area which can be a real challenge including clay soil, little rain and blazing summer temps but you go with what you've been given, improve on what you can and live with what you can't change. Fall, winter and spring are the best times to garden here but there are some varieties that do surprisingly well in the summer heat, just don't ever plan a vacation at that time.

hydroinoklahoma February 11th, 2009 12:49 PM

in the growing town of Broken Arrow Oklahoma .........do hydroponics.......soil and container gardening inside ......outside and in the greenhouse

love2garden February 12th, 2009 12:47 AM

I am Winona Mississippi about 90 miles North of Jackson and 90 mile south of Memphis Tenn.

turbomicah February 12th, 2009 01:32 AM

I'm from Batesville,Mississippi.
I grew up helping my Grandparents work in their large gardens.
I now live in the city and do not have good soil.
(Currently making raised beds to grow Heirloom tomatoes.)
I LOVE the idea of living off the grid! Especially since my family eats most
of our meat from deer & fish I harvest.
My cousing who is a transplant from San Fransisco,CA, keeps telling me I should
grow plants Hydroponically using pearlite and feeding the plants nutrients and water via an automated system. I'm hesitant, because I know I can grow Great Tomatoes....If I just had good soil, & I like doing things the Old School way.
What do Yall think about Hydro?

Micah:D

debb February 12th, 2009 11:09 PM

I'm from east central Nebraska. I live in a small town and grow anything and everything. We have beautiful soil here. Beginner with heirloom and look forward to spring and getting my hands dirty. Been gardening for many years.
I do organic gardening. I usually have several little people helpers.

troutbumMT February 13th, 2009 11:29 AM

Northwest Montana , Just west of Glacier Park. 2nd year gardening, last year most of veggies did quite well, even with lack of experience. Still got over 2' of white stuff on ground. Can't wait for spring!!!!

Mom February 13th, 2009 01:54 PM

Husband (Growing Boy) and I live in the piney woods of far East Texas, Panola County to be exact but I doubt anyone has ever heard of the little burg we live in.

LostPinesGal February 13th, 2009 04:09 PM

I live in the Lost Pines Region of Bastrop County, Texas. East of Austin, Texas. But don't say Hook'em to me, cuz I'm a Texas Aggie and married to one to boot. Gig'em!!