IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

frontrangemom February 1st, 2009 12:07 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Highlands Ranch, CO. We're just south of Denver, and boy the weather here is wierd. We had 70 degrees the other day. Two days later it was -5 overnight.... I just shake my head...who knew?

velcromom February 1st, 2009 04:08 PM

We live in the Sierra Nevadas near where gold was first discovered. We have a half acre that we are trying to squeeze the most production we can out of with the limits of our cc&r's... so no chickens.:( We have fruit trees, grapes and veggie garden. I'm hoping to put in berries and look at combining perennial vegetables into our landscaping. This is my first year planting heirloom varieties and I'm really hoping for good results and some seed that I can save.

ommama February 1st, 2009 06:36 PM

Coast range of NW Oregon. Loooooong cool springs. Drought summers. Great over-wintering weather for roots and cole crops. Spring and Fall crops do the best for me. Will try growing a decent melon in a greenhouse for the first time.

tweed February 1st, 2009 06:56 PM

Western North Carolina in Madison County.
I'm about 45 miles N-NW of Asheville and about a 25 minute drive from Tennessee, home and resting place of President Andrew Johnson.
I'm also close (15 minute drive) to the very small Appalachian Trail/tourist/rafting town of Hot Springs, NC. That's my moms hometown and my grandmother still lives there.
It's a wonderful place to visit if you are into the outdoors, natural living and Folk/Appalachian art.
Rocky Bluff campground,is 3 miles outside of Hot Springs on HWY 209. National Geographic Adventurer rated it one of the 50 best undiscovered campgrounds in America.
On summer Saturday nights, some campers often make bluegrass music that can be heard all over the campground..........and then they stop at 11:00 p.m. sharp.
Hot Springs is also home to the natural hot springs, which reportedly have healing powers. The springs have been renovated and can be rented by the hour.
www.hotspringsspa-nc.com
I believe that HikingonThrough visits Hot Springs on occassion.
This will be my second year of solely raising a garden.
Last year was a success although I am made some mistakes that I learned from.
I'm actually contemplating going all heirloom, with the possible exception of corn. I'm still debating that.
Darn........I'm rambling again.

Steve

Derek in NC February 2nd, 2009 02:48 PM

I live just south of Winston-Salem, NC and love all aspects of horticulture/gardening. I am a member of the southeastern palm society and am a collector of hort/gardening books. I mostly garden organically, to me it just makes more sense. I like to experiment with homemade pesticides and fertilizers made with things I can grow like comfrey, nettles and the like. My next project is to try and make an insecticide out of Poncirus trifoliate fruits.

Steelmouse February 3rd, 2009 01:38 AM

Hi,

I am new to the posting part......., have been lurking and enjoying the board for some time now. Gulf Coast of Texas, just a little south of the infamous Train :)
I am physically challenged, but intend to plant a raised bed this year. I had some great seeds from Baker Creek growing to beat the band when Ike came along and the wind just beat the dickens out of the peas and beans. I sure enjoy reading and learning from this board.

Betty

Bama mater February 3rd, 2009 02:57 PM

I live in Huntsville, North Alabama "Hockey Capitol of the South" Been gardenin all my life, early years with Dad, the last 23 years my own garden (Vegtables). Dads got 2 green thumbs, he grows everything, He's a longtime Volunteer at the Botanical gardens, I'm a little more stingy with my time. I was glad to find Baker Creek Rare seeds and alot of new Tomatoe varietys.
Jon

organicbaby February 3rd, 2009 06:13 PM

Another Alabama person here. I'm about as far south as you can go in AL and not get wet in the Gulf of Mexico. Finally getting a handle on our growing seasons and lovin' every minute of it! :D

mrtomatoexpres February 4th, 2009 01:03 AM

Wow only 6 gardeners from NY.

GunnarSK February 4th, 2009 01:12 PM

I live in Warsaw, the capital of Poland.
Previously, I have been in Denmark and gardened just outside the second city, århus. Now I will try to find/buy a plot to call garden here in Poland.
We have very short growing seasons here in northern Europe (most comparable to northern New England or Canada), but I want to grow potatoes, carrots, beans and onions (and probably something else), everything except the potatoes heirloom, possibly from Baker Creek.