IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

madcow April 15th, 2007 03:35 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

I am from Oak Harbor that is located on Whidbey Island in the state of Washington. It is accessible by ferry from the south end or by driving over the Deception Pass Bridge on the north end. The growing season here isn't that great but it is a beautiful place to live. I love it here (most of the time, lol). Below are some links that have pictures and information about the area.

http://www.peacham.com/nw2006/whidbe...ion/index.html

http://www.whidbey.net/nboynton/BusList.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_Pass_Bridge

You need a quicktime player for this last one. It is a 360 degree view from the bridge.
http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Was...assBridge.html

Kathy April 15th, 2007 06:18 PM

Hello, everyone. I'm from outside of Paris, Tx. in a farming community named Direct. We don't live there currently, but have in the past and plan to move back soon. We do, however live outside of Paris and are remodeling an older home of my husband's grandparents (deceased for many years). This is the first forum I have ever been involved in and I love it. I have been away from my computer for most of the last month and felt like my new friends were having a party and I couldn't go!!!! We have 4 large gardens in various locations--2 on our property at Direct, 2 at our church as well as 2 small ones at our house. We also help our grandaughter and her family with theirs. We grow corn, peas, beans, potatoes, many kinds of greens, onions, garlic, herbs, tomatoes, watermelons, cucumbers, squash and gourds. We lost a few tomato plants in the recent freeze and will replant this week--hopefully for the last time. I love to read where everyone is from and all the helpful info.

LarryS April 15th, 2007 07:02 PM

I live in north East Texas... Hot and dry in summer, okay in winter.
We are maybe 15 miles from the Lousiana state line, and 60 miles from Shreveport.

We (my wife and I) cultivete about a quarter to a half acre (havent measured it accurately) for fun, food, and friends.

Our warmest welcome to the group.

moonlilyhead April 15th, 2007 07:10 PM

Hi, I live in Central Arkansas near the beautiful Ouachita Mountains. My boyfriend and I have a 50 x 20 veggie garden, a large stand of banana trees and moonlilly bushes, a 36 bush rose garden (my baby) and I have a small 9 x 15 plot all to myself filled with strawberry plants, herbs, and spinach. We also plant sunflowers around the perimeter of our acre and a half. Instead of blood, we have humidity running through our veins!

MAAldrich April 16th, 2007 08:36 AM

Travelers Rest, SC. Usually a warm rainy place with tons of red clay and a last frost date in mid March. We had a pretty hard freeze easter week. Arg... my poor babies. And now the wind is gusting really badly blowing the life out of my corn :(

wrangler April 16th, 2007 04:08 PM

Good afternoon all. My family and I live in the eastern end of the San Gabriel Valley in Covina, California in a little valley with a (now cemented) creek along the back property line. All the cold air runs down hill into out little valley in the winter which makes us about 5 to 7 degrees cooler than downtown Covina at night. We are roughly a Zone 9b area. It's been a wierd spring so far with less than great germinating weather...

We are in one of the last equestrian areas in the community so we have roughly .75 acre with a 60 foot square garden in the back where the round pen used to be. It's a great spot to garden and hang out. Spent most of Saturday and Sunday afternoon after church out there. A good distraction to be sure! The kids usually sell off some of our veggies during the summer along with whatever egg production we still get from our aging hens. It's a nice slice of rural life in the middle of the city.

sammyqc April 16th, 2007 09:12 PM

Gatineau, Quebec Canada- a stone throw across the Ottawa River from the Nation's Capital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It's US zone 4, short growing season, too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer (when it finally shows up!) But I try. Recent convert to Heirloom veggies, found this site via a Missouri farmer's very entertaining blog, and it's a lot of fun. My favorite american is John Stewart, and it's been raining and snowing too much lately, which is why I've been spending too much time on the computer and not able to spend time outside. Glad to meet you all!

Rim Runner April 17th, 2007 12:59 AM

I live in the White Mountains of Arizona... just on the edge of the Mogollon Rim in a little town called Lakeside! It's right on the edge of the White Mountain Apache Reservation in the middle of the world's largest stand of Ponedrosa Pines. I live on 5 acres with two other school teachers and we now have close to 5,000 sq ft of fenced off garden area. We are at about 6500 feet above sea level and our frost free date is June 1st. This is my first year gardening up here, though I have had prior experience in the garden... Really enjoying this forum and all the wonderful here! I hope everybody as a good growing season this year!

hikingonthru April 17th, 2007 08:54 PM

Hello everyone. I live just down the road from MAAldrich in Anderson, SC. Born and raised here. Lived 8 years in TN (Jefferson City and Johnson City). After graduation, spent a little time in southern thailand (Nice place ain't it, Jere? Talk about fresh fruit and veggies! If I ever turn up missing, start looking there first!!:) ) We have the uiquitous red clay soil here, but we manage to grow some decent vegetables. I have been in the garden since I was able to leave footprints in the garden soil. This is really the first year I have wanted to go organic and am having to relearn a lot. I guess the worst problem I have is "the wilt" on my 'maters. Due to living "in the city" right now, I have to grow in 4x8 raised beds filled with "Fafard dirt" (ground up whatever) that must be heavily amended. I do have a garden plot out at "the old homeplace" where we grow grinding corn, peas, pumpkins and gourds. Am trying to get a good compost pile started as I am direly lacking in good compost - which would solve about 90% of my gardening woes. In addition to wanting to grow things naturally, I want to start to focus on regional heirlooms.

BTW, thought my corn and butterbeans were lost to the easter freeze, but went to the farm today to see about 85% of them standing good and upright! Hooray!

052039 April 17th, 2007 10:10 PM

HI EVERYONE - My wife of 49 years & i live 3 mi. no. of LOUISVILLE,KY in a small town of CLARKSVILLE, IND. this is where LEWIS & CLARK set out on a little excursion some years back thus the name....we have lived here 20+ years & love it...THUNDER OVER LOUISVILLE is this weekend & is the kick off for 2 wks. of pre-derby celebrations. it is the largest fireworks in mid-america
& thousands of people attend from all over. we have 2 children who live in the area w/us & 1 grandaughter - 19 yrs. old. we garden modestly now that it is just mom & me but we had a small weekend farm [11 ak.] & raised cattle, chickens & pigs when the kids were little. we are active fishing & gardening on a small scale & are thankful we can still do that @ 68.

052039 - BILL :D :D :)