IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

alchemist January 8th, 2007 05:01 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

I live in north central texas and garden organically. Biggest problem? Heat and getting half the years rainfall in and hour. Biggest joy? Long growing seasons and the view of a garden still going in November.

farmerjohnson January 8th, 2007 05:37 PM

West Liberty Kentucky

WiNancy January 9th, 2007 12:56 PM

Hi nice to see so many with the same interests! I'm Nancy , from central Wisconsin Zone 4.
I have been gardening since I can remember. My husband and I grow 75% of our own food, including chickens, eggs, beef cattle and soon sheep. I would consider us micro farmers as we only have 3 acres, but we have it well planned to meet most of our families needs. Many of my extended family is nearby and many of them are dairy farmers. So I barter labor and garden produce, as well as eggs for feed and milk.
I'm happy I found this forum and hope to gain many more growing and seed saving skills from all of you.

Two acre January 10th, 2007 11:06 AM

North Carolina

freeze12 January 10th, 2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluelacedredhead (Post 24575)
Dan, We used to live in the Niagara Region (Canadian side) but for the past 13 years we've been at the other end of Lake Ontario near Watertown, NY.

Welcome! I too love to experiment with veggies that are not recommended for this region. Some that I've tried have been Vidalia onions (miserable failure), okra and cowpeas (both did very well here). How about yourself? What experiments did well and what did not??
Wendy

Hi Wendy... Sorry for the late response but I have been having Computer problems.
I have also tried Vidalia with no luck. I also have problems with Slugs here so leafy veggies are a royal pain to Babysit as I have tried everything & now use Diatomaceous earth as a big bag is cheap & seems to work the best.Just for the fun of it I tried to grow Cotton & it worked...not real big heads but did grow (it was a hot summer) I also have no luck with Lavender. Now Tomatoes,Cukes,Peppers,Tomatillos,Melon all grow great here. I also grow Elephant ears & they do VERY well & are huge & sure do impress the neighbors!!!They all say My yard looks like a park!
This is My second season with "Baker Creek" and found them by mistake on the web & am sure glad i did as they are a fine company with great products!

freeze12 January 10th, 2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowerpower (Post 24665)
Dan, there are a few people from upstate here. I am near Oneonta. Stonysoil and slugslayer aren't too far either. How's the snow situation up there? I felt really sorry for you guys with all that snow. That is something that would happen here. So I sympathize.

This Winter so far has been great except for the big October snowstorm! The area has seen the warmest temps. in Buffalo history...so that is great for My VERY high heating bills!!

Katiepie January 11th, 2007 04:43 PM

Was born , raised and gardened in Ventura Ca. but then in VA to CT to FL now we live and garden in TN:-) McMinnville (non-organic nursery capital of the world:-/ )
Katiepie

Duncan January 11th, 2007 05:18 PM

I live just outside Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in a rural farming community.

I am fairly new to heirloom veggie gardening but love it! :-)

bluelacedredhead January 11th, 2007 08:53 PM

Hey Duncan, We're almost neighbours then, if you are just outside of the Capital?
Welcome to iDig!

mrtomatoexpres January 11th, 2007 11:44 PM

freeze12 great to see more ny gardeners:) :) :) :) :)