IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

farm48 December 30th, 2006 07:41 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Whoa, I get to be #301? I live in central Mo. South of Boonville, East of Pilot Grove. Bob

Phantomfyre December 30th, 2006 08:04 PM

Well, I've gardened in zones 3b/4a, 7a, 5b/6a, and now 5a. I'm in north central IL, I guess something like 60-70 miles west-southwest of Chicago. Just moved here this summer from NE Ohio, about 30 miles east of Cleveland (was probably neighbors with you, VickiW60 - we were in Geauga County), before that we were in central Virginia in a suburb of Richmond... BUT I will always be a MINNESOTAN at heart, where I'm from originally. :D We've moved around a lot for my finacee's job, but we HOPE we're staying put for a while this time. Moving stinks. Especially when you've got a large iris collection and horses to move! :rolleyes: But on the bright side, I'm well-traveled for my age. (If I recall correctly, I've got about a year on Jere...) :p

Diana

caascher2 December 30th, 2006 08:34 PM

I live in Va. Beach Va. Great place for a summer vacation if you like beaches and alot of history close by. Williamsburg only 1 hr away, and DC 4 hrs away. We have hot and humid weather in the summer, pretty mild winters so we can plant a nice late fall garden as well. I have gardened for many years but am new to starting my own seeds and heirloom gardening.
Carol

oldgaredneck December 31st, 2006 05:23 AM

Wife and I both Native Georgians, grew up about 20 miles from where we now live here in Crawford County just outside Roberta (really big town - one mile square! where everything still shuts down for a lunch hour:D )
I'm a US Army Veteran (1970 - 1980), medically disabled since 2003 with diabetes and emphysema, she's a "domestic engineer" (and my better half by far!)

Both of us grew up in a farming family and came by the gardening "bug" naturally.
Here on our almost 7 acres (our "Rainbow's End) we just bought this year we want to grow as many heirloom veggies as possible. Also growing flowers to feed the soul.
Plan to preserve as much food as possible for our use and sell the rest.
Adding compost and manure to this beautiful sand bed to hopefully accomplish those goals! :D

I have to take things slow:mad: because of my health, but do "git r done"!
Happy to have found this forum to share knowledge with and learn from our fellow gardeners.
Growing a garden is the best mental therapy there is!:D

buggyridgefarms December 31st, 2006 09:44 AM

We're located in central lower Michigan south of Edmore in potato country. Our sandy loam soils provide the ideal environment for potato production but they can be droughty and require frequent irrigation. We're avid gardeners and grow and can much of our own food. Our herd of Belted Galloway cattle, goats and pastured poultry provide us plenty of good compost to garden organically. We grow many annual and perennial flowering plants and numerous herbs with an emphasis on those varieties friendly to bees and butterflies. We prefer heirloom seeds but have tried a few hybrids as our area has many diseases such as powdery mildew. We are especially interested in vegetables, especially tomatoes that provide the most vitamins. I just stumbled across Baker Creek zHeirloom Seeds recently and completed our first order last week after receiving the new catalog. The new catalog is outstanding! Excellent work Jere!

Dug n Dirt December 31st, 2006 02:03 PM

We live in south-central Illinois, about 90 or so miles from St Louis.
Tresa has lived in this area for about weellll most of her lfe and I moved here in
'05. We move int a big old farmhouse in april '06 and were so busy (the house hadn't been lived inn for over a year) that we didn't get to plant very much.
It has been about ten years since I did any gardenig and I am really antsy for the planting and growing to start! (I'm having a really hard time keeping from starting seeds NOW.)
I am originally from Chatsworth, GA (near Dalton, and Chattannooga Tn), and remember helping my dad and grandparents with the planting, working, harvesting, preserving, and (mmm!) eating.
Good luck at BC and we are looking forward to ordering and planting.

finnteara December 31st, 2006 06:02 PM

Greenville, Georgia near Warm Springs

boston December 31st, 2006 06:41 PM

hey buggy Im in Michigan too. About 30 miles north of Lansing

fawnmeadow December 31st, 2006 07:47 PM

Peace Valley-White Church area 9 miles south of Mountain View, Mo. and not too far from Ceresone and Sweet Springs - Hi Gals!
Have gardened for many years and am on my third year on my garden here in Mo. Quite a change from sandy to rocky soil. I've really enjoyed being here on I Dig learning, getting some great ideas and making friends.
Phyllis

randycarter December 31st, 2006 07:49 PM

I live in Flanders, NJ which is about 50 miles west of New York City. I am just starting out in gardening and am learning alot from this forum.