IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

twohunnyz April 18th, 2006 02:07 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

western Washington state.

idigitathome April 18th, 2006 09:41 PM

I live in Scappoose,Oregon. I am interested in raised bed gardening. I do not currently garden this way, but would like to get started. I would like information on how to get started. I want to grow organiclly and with heirloom
seeds.

GardenBunny April 19th, 2006 02:45 AM

I live in coastal Georgia. I'm a recent transplant from southern Virginia. Gardening here is a bit of a change, but I love the longer growing season. I have seven children, who garden with me. We have basically turned our entire backyard into an heirloom vegetable garden :) I keep telling my husband that we need a much bigger place so that we can have acres of gardens, horses, goats, and rabbits.

AndrewK April 19th, 2006 04:14 PM

Here's a warm welcome to all the new members, I really hope ya'll enjoy it here! :)

NJGiardiniere April 20th, 2006 07:40 PM

SOUTHERN New Jersey...The part of Jersey for which the state is nicknamed.

uprooted_kentuckian April 22nd, 2006 06:50 PM

I live in the Coastal Empire (thats what they call it), just north of Savannah Ga. I'm pretty new to gardening, but I am trying to learn and prefer to work with heirlooms and be as organic as possible. By the way Jere, I appreciate the obvious work you have done in bringing together such a diverse selection of heirloom seeds. I have about 2 acres of open land to play on, so we'll see what kind of success or mess I can create.

Tvelt May 2nd, 2006 06:52 AM

I currently live in Sasebo, Japan. I have turned a few heads and broken a few base housing rules, but I have garden plots going wherever I have talked friends into letting me dig. The soil is beyond terrible and I can't find a full day of sun anywhere, but I am having a great time with all the seeds that I ordered from Baker Creek (some 30+ varieties) I have neighbors dumping their leaves and grass into my compost pile and am slowly improving the clayey, rocky industrial fill that I live on. I also talked the powers that be into letting me use half of an unheated greenhouse that sits on base property. Thus I have been harvesting since Since January and the first tomatoes ripened last week. Gardening here is an expensive and difficult prospect as Japan has very high prices and not much english. It is fun, however, and often I plant things just to see what will happen. Sometimes it dies, sometimes, it lives, and sometimes it seems to die only to take over again later.
Anyway, I live in a climate that would probably be somewhat similar to Charleston, SC with slightly more misery thrown in for good measure. First frost was mid December, last frost was early March, winter low was 27. Summers are very warm starting in June (and wet) with days in the upper 80's, nights in the upper 70s and plenty of rain. Throw in a couple of Typhoons in September and that about sums it up. Since I have done all of my previous gardening on great soil in the pacific northwest, this is a whole new thing. Any advice is appreciated.

AdelJeff May 2nd, 2006 09:34 AM

I live in Central Iowa. Last year was my first garden in 10 years. I grew all heirlooms 7 watermelon, 10 European, 8 American. 12 tomato varieties, 15 peppers, 20 lettuces and greens, 7 cuc varieties. Plus a few odd balls.

windsng225 May 9th, 2006 07:19 AM

Tvelt, welcome abord. I love this forum and the people here. For one thing you will get a lot of information and a lot of laughs. I truly think you will enjoy this.
How fabulous to live in Japan, what a great opportunity for you and your kids. All of us gardners have problems with our soil, some more than others. We amend and try to fix what was given to us and wait to see what happens. Hopefully things turn out better than what we expected. How great is it that you have the use of a non heated greenhouse, I would do practally anything to have something like that!
I could not give any advice, I am new at this also, and have my own challenges here in Ct. Your weather sounds a lot nicer than what we have here in Ct. Of course with the exception of the typhoons! You can keep those, I don't want them.
The only thing that I would recomend is to keep a gardning journal of what works and what does not. This way you can figure out why it did not work and if the problem could be fixed or not.
I also ordered a lot of seeds from "Baker Creek", am very happy with what I purchased, they seem to be very hearty seedlings. They give you a lot for the money. Good luck to you, have a good time, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Joyce

Brook May 9th, 2006 10:26 AM

Clyde, it's almost impossible to identify family heirlooms as to original variety name---assuming it even had one.

As a general rule, we name such heirlooms for the family we collected them from, or for a family member. Thus: Smith Pole Bean; or Mary Smith Stick Bean. Sometimes the family has a name for them. If so, we try and continue that name.