IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

runawayredhead March 22nd, 2006 05:52 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

Hi right down the road in lovely Omaha Ark. I'm across the lake from our friends at Long Creek Herb Farm.

Izzy Bluestar March 22nd, 2006 09:20 PM

I live on a dead-end road in rural Indiana. We garden organically, yet contend with big business farming and the chemical crazy farmers. It's not always easy, but we try to co-exist in harmony. Our area of Indiana is diverse...with rolling hills near a river, plus large expanses of open fields.

Alaskan Janet March 23rd, 2006 11:16 AM

Alaskan Janet

I live about 35 miles outside of Tok, Alaska, in the Alaskan Bush. My average winter temperature is around -30. I work in Tok, where the temperature during the winter can get to -70 or colder. I have just recently learned about heirloom gardening and am interested in learning more about plants that will grow here. I plan to pass on what I learn to several of my gardening friends who have expressed an interest in heirloom seeds.

DanaDW March 23rd, 2006 12:55 PM

Southern Nevada high desert, zone 8a. Home of quail, coyote, and caliche.

willworkforfood March 24th, 2006 06:47 AM

Piedmont North Carolina

Jwilson455 March 29th, 2006 02:42 PM

Central Wyoming :D

Mrs. Ol' McDonald April 5th, 2006 11:41 AM

I live in Cleveland, TN. It is in the extreme Southeast portion of the state.

Mary April 5th, 2006 01:17 PM

Hello, I'm from Oreana,IL.,just outside of Decatur, IL.Zone five.I enjoy gardening,and this forum very much.My garden is small,I want to make some raised beds,When it rains my ground is lower than my neighbors and the ground stay wet longer.I don't get to plant as soon as I want to. Hope every one has a great gardening year.
Mary

Photodeb April 5th, 2006 02:07 PM

Howdy all,
I live in Rockwall, Texas - about 25 miles east of Dallas. Moved here in 1987 from Grand Rapids, MI.
This is my first year at growing heirloom varieties, so I'm excited to be able to have this forum and the experience of so many great seasoned organic gardeners to learn from. I've learned so much from reading all the posts here, & even asked a few questions & had them answered from ya'll. Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate the advice & knowing we "newbies" can ask what may seem to be stupid questions & not being ridiculed for our ignorance.
I only have a small homesite here, but we are putting a bid on some land in Corsicana (about 60 miles from here) and it has 15 acres out in the country, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get it.
I found Bakers Creek - love them - (& linked to here from there) & now have 10 different tomatoes red, pink, striped, purple, minis; squash, peppers, beans, cucumbers, soybeans, radishes,watermelons, as well as lots of new herbs I'm trying too. I have some seeds to try that were sent to me from one of the gardeners here, thanks Zebraman. He was very generous with his bounty. I hope to be able to reciprocate come this fall when my harvest comes in. Can't wait to eat all this great stuff later this summer!
My DH is a bread nut, so with the help of Bountiful Gardens I'm planting a good many grains - Flax, Quinoa, Sorghum, 3 different wheats, buckwheat & 6 varieties of Amaranth (some grain, others greens). I also have two corns for cornmeal - Black Aztec & Bloody Butcher. So hopefully this fall I'll have some really unusual bread possiblilities.
I also am trying some "dye" plants to experiment with for some crafts too. I'll let you know how everything grows.
See you in the forums!
Debra

ihateweeds April 6th, 2006 01:20 PM

Chicago, Il. The area I am in at one time was all corn fields. My neighbor, who grew up when her dad had the farm, still lives on the property. They have the last chicken coop in the city. They now use it for storage, no chickens! Needless to say, I've got pretty decent soil around.