IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heirloom Gardening (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poll: Where do you live? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

gottagardyn October 15th, 2005 04:13 PM

Re: Poll: Where do you live?

I live in Fayetteville Arkansas and would like to turn my front yard into a Heirloom garden!! The whole thing!!! No grass anywhere-just vegetables and flowers and fruit trees.Wonder if I can get away with it.....hee hee hee!!! :D

karenz October 16th, 2005 06:21 PM

I live outside Slater, Missouri - we farm about 1000 acres of beans,corn, and cattle. I personally garden about 10,000 square feet with a "small " bit of help from family and pets! I grew up with gardening and have typically planted the "old faithful" varieties that are commonly available in retail stores. I have tried to do something new every year, and have only recently got interested in heirlooms. I consider myself an organic farmer, and try to use pesticides of any variety only as a last resort. I eagerly await my retirement from state employment so that I can devote more time to my gardening.

Maven October 16th, 2005 08:08 PM

Muenster, Tx (Due south of Oklahoma City, just into Tx) but we're building out on the Red River near Illinois Bend Tx on 100 acers.

HOMEsweetFARM October 19th, 2005 11:49 AM

SE TEXAS (Brenham... between Houston & Austin)
We live off the farm and operate a 65 member CSA. Over 100 varieties of vegetables, heritage laying hens, geese, ducks and Alpine dairy goats. Glad to find this community!

Brad

fatcat11 October 23rd, 2005 10:15 PM

I'm from Lisbon Ohio.I've been a gardener for 35 years like to do all garden stuff the organic way. I have a 8' by 32' leanto greenhouse attached to my garage that I raise all of my vegis and flowers in. Ilike to raise rose's for compition in our area.

tashak November 4th, 2005 10:31 PM

No. NV between Reno/Fernley/Carson City, elevation 4300". Late spring frosts, arid summers, windy. Spring and fall-to-overwintering-under frost netting are more productive than summer. Sandy stony alkiline soil, windy, variable weather, but I compost and am thankful for a neighbor who lets me handhaul their horse manure. Greens (especially turnip/chard/Asian) are productive.
I've enlarged my garden plots four to five fold from just for me to accommodate the food bank in a nearby small town, thanks to Baker Creek!
This food bank is really appreciative of fresh garden produce, and despite our four to six hour windy sandstorm this Tues., garden is still producing. (I had to hose it down the next day to see anything green.)
Summer crops did really poorly this year due to ten consecutive days of very high heat, so it was farewell tomatoes/hot peppers/squash/okra.
On the plus side, it is really easy to dehydrate stuff for food storage here!
Is anyone else in NV/AZ/NM/WY gardening under these arid windy conditions? Short season zone 6.

tashak November 4th, 2005 10:34 PM

Oops, that should have been 4300 feet. Apologies.

Joan November 8th, 2005 10:43 AM

HI Redbrick!
We are practically neighbors. Live just outside of Reading Pa.
Nice to meet you!

Silent November 8th, 2005 02:44 PM

My family and I are from Southwest Central Indiana.

I've been gardening since I was about 7 (thanks to my grandmother's help and influence). She was 'old-fashioned' in her gardening; composted, etc.... My parents used the fertilizers, etc... and nothing ever tasted as good as Granny's! When I was 13 my mother became ill so I took over the family garden, all three acres of it; sounds big now but with 6 kids and assorted others none of it went to waste. My family and I have just purchased a new home in a small town and are building raised beds, planning where to put our fruit trees, bushes, and so forth. I'm delighted to find this forum and look forward to meeting everyone.

GreenZone November 9th, 2005 08:14 AM

Silent,
Welcome to the forum. I too owe my predilection for gardening to my grandmother. When I saw your post it brought back such pleasant memories so I thought I'd write and thank you...
--Randel