IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle July 2nd, 2012 11:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Pepper--'Pep'--

Hope you got the AC installed, it's going to be a killer this time---and I am glad you are --"Sleeping Well".

The turf here in 'Bama, red clay, and the Green Foilage gets to me sometimes, but---

"Stay out of the Kill Zone"-------Ax.

axhandle July 2nd, 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 937804)
Ax: Your weather has been about the same as mine. Hot ,Dry, watering a lot, then to top it off had strong thunderstorms friday night 70Mph winds knocked out our power finally got power and some AC back last evening around supper time.

At 99 to low 100's temps over the weekend it was a bit steamy, with no electric, camped out in the shade in the yard and in the basement.

Trying to keep up with watering and shooting the bows when ever I get a chance.

Jeff

Yep, carbon copy, hot ,dry and shear winds got another Maple limb down and one Cherry---

BTW-Been fighting Japanese beetles for over a month,'Missus' Rosebush and 4 O'Clocks were inundated, at first got at least 100 off the rose, spray , and then a J.Beetle trap--it works---three neighbors put them up also (Team Effort), so thats about 20,000 sq ft of coverage.

Finally got A/C fixed --outside 105F--inside 91F---Rained today so I went outside and turned my face upward---nothing like it--got soaking wet , but my mind felt like it was awake again.

Good to hear from U--got Longbow out today, needs a 57" string---I'll either buy or make(pretty easy with a jig),getting you some things together , doing re-arrangement----finding stuff I never knew I ever had--Christmas each day-:)--Ax.

Ajla July 3rd, 2012 02:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 937784)
I knew you would know--;).

I'm not sure which is worse--chuckle-Maja or Tussy--:D

Attached:--

I'll keep her under my arm once she gets here! ;)

No poppies there!

axhandle July 3rd, 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 937936)

No poppies there!

Die Kroon , ins Arnehm?

The planes (Ins Himmel), are C-47 Cargo,(DC-3's "Dizzy Three") civilian designation),Brits named them "Dakotas", one of the best aircraft--ever--some are still flying-!, they were so well made.

Extremely good capture of time, on film--!!!

axhandle July 3rd, 2012 11:00 AM

Exceptiantly good morning , after Air went out for 5 days,and fixed--temp was 80F in basement, hooked up an old "Squirrel Cage" fan I had does it ever move some cool air.Rained, finally ---after about a months drought,humidity -up but garden needed a "Drink"---

Cleaning/Sorting out--Found one of my favorites--"The Keep" (Movie), 1983--Juergen Prochnow--It struck me for several reasons--

Romania, land of 'Mystique', the Carpathians--etc.

Most Salient dialogue(s)---

"It is a Language that has been lost for 500 years"
"The Crosses, never touch the Crosses"
"This was not built to keep something out, it was built to keep something--In"

A very good one--and my special scene--the room with the hand made tapestries only waiting for a breeze, the pitcher and bowl.

Ax.

tweed July 4th, 2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 937781)
Sir Tweed, You Rascal--how are you?! You always find the Good Stuff--

My comment:

Exceptional, in that Coca -Cola real formulae, is the worlds best kept secret,--

The syrup was shipped under strict rules and enforcement,which you have---10+-----

The 'Kicker", becomes--the final process and most secret ingredient added after the syrup was delivered, and during the process of making Coca-Cola--

Got a prize there,knowing your learned eye--you paid 5 'Bucks'--;):)---Ax.

Doing good, Ax.
Lost Dad in Feb.
Getting through it. Tough lick. All is good though.
To the Coca-Cola Syrup jug with original sticker in original box...................I wish I had your bargaining skills!..........I paid $20! LOL

Steve

Ajla July 5th, 2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 937974)
Die Kroon , ins Arnehm?

The planes (Ins Himmel), are C-47 Cargo,(DC-3's "Dizzy Three") civilian designation),Brits named them "Dakotas", one of the best aircraft--ever--some are still flying-!, they were so well made.

Extremely good capture of time, on film--!!!

I think this one is De Hoop Ax, that's where the parachutes came down.

axhandle July 6th, 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

No poppies there!

Aj,

This picture, turned out to be, much more than I saw at first glance.
Looking again, and enhancing, it is formations of :

C-47's and Gliders!, (Gliders are behind) looking at it, the C-47's were used as "Tugs" for Gliders, pulled them to near destination, the Glider Pilot would then disengage the tether, and then proceed to land the Troops onboard--

This pic , is a jewel among jewels---

axhandle July 6th, 2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

No poppies there!

Chuckle--Must get the 'Conker' out to her--;):)

axhandle July 6th, 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 938152)
Doing good, Ax.
Lost Dad in Feb.
Getting through it. Tough lick. All is good though.
To the Coca-Cola Syrup jug with original sticker in original box...................I wish I had your bargaining skills!..........I paid $20! LOL

Steve

Glad to see you doing well, under circumstances, I remember your note--and , indeed a tough time for anyone, losing someone one looks up to for advice , etc.---Indeed --"A Tough Lick".

At $20.00---You stole it---chuckle-probably go for 5x--or more--:

Origional Coca-Cola--by Atlanta Pharmacist--could only be had in Drugstores/Pharmacies/Apothecaries/ Chemists, and served under supervision of , --thereof--:

The syrup , which was complicated, in itself and composition, was there and the server, added the "Key Ingrediant"---which at the time was Cocaine--Thus Coca -Cola--"5 Cents the glass, cold and bubbly!"

Cocaine eliminated around 1906---"Todays bit of useless knowledge"---

P.S. You got a deal---

axhandle July 8th, 2012 07:30 PM

Tomorrow is supposed to be a cyberattack, from my homepage(news) I noticed an overview ---Gov't has supplied a couple sites to check and see if you are vulnerable--etc.Facebook and Twitter were forefront in mention--

If you can't --go to it---go to: dns-ok.us.

Ajla July 9th, 2012 11:09 AM

Lancey near Courville is the next project! :D

axhandle July 9th, 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 939109)

During the last week, postal service changed, now must fill out---"Custom Papers"--which they gave me, and take to "Designated Facility", about 3 miles away--O.K. No Problem--:),considering.

Gads, whatever happened to sending a 2 cent Postal Card?,--without papers--chuckle--:)

redneckplanter July 9th, 2012 02:04 PM

run silent run deep.lol

axhandle July 10th, 2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 939151)
run silent run deep.lol

The 'Silent Service'!--:)

axhandle July 10th, 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 939151)
run silent run deep.lol

One of the best movies, and I'll add:

Uncle, by marriage was in Carlsons Raiders--(USMC)-during the early years, most often they were dropped off by Submarine, he never talked much about it--But --'What an Adventure!'--

He talked about Pealilu etc., and eventually ended up in Japan, after the armistace
I know he wasn't a Spoofer because he asked me if I thought the radiation had anything to do with his Leukemia,--this was in '80's.Alsohe brought back a Japanese painting,---from the 1700's--Cousin, I think --still has it-

Take Care---Ax.

axhandle July 10th, 2012 12:18 PM

Re:, Weather--

July, 1954,(9 years old) weather report said, 105F--just the right temp to get out of the house!,---- we had already, foresaw, and planned; ("Our Escape"--)- which was going to be 115F, at the least--in the house--

"The Crew"--

Pathfinders--Led by "Thorns", so named because he never wore shoes,beat down Blackberry brambles in the Summer and skated on a frozen pond in the winter--barefooted-- Task--"clear the 300yards up to Turtle Hole", snakes etc.

Fin--Part 1.

Ajla July 11th, 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 939121)
During the last week, postal service changed, now must fill out---"Custom Papers"--which they gave me, and take to "Designated Facility", about 3 miles away--O.K. No Problem--:),considering.

Gads, whatever happened to sending a 2 cent Postal Card?,--without papers--chuckle--:)

I'll go for the black penny stamp! ;)

axhandle July 16th, 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 939109)

To the mountains!:)

axhandle July 16th, 2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 939509)
I'll go for the black penny stamp! ;)

Yes, I would like to have one, and also the one Guinea-:)

Ajla July 18th, 2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 940412)
To the mountains!:)

That where you were? :D

Ajla July 21st, 2012 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You should know the photographer? :)

axhandle July 21st, 2012 02:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 940869)
That where you were? :D

To the Carpathians, for two weeks:) --maybe to spot some of these, #2 Lexya -"Life as seen through my green eyes"

Thence to the Tatras in Slovakia for a bit of rest--:D

"The most beautiful things in the world cannot be see or even touched, they must be felt with the heart"
Helen Keller

axhandle July 21st, 2012 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 941548)
You should know the photographer? :)

Has to be this Lady--:)--Dorothea Lange--

redneckplanter July 23rd, 2012 12:48 AM

hey ya'lls where's gixx?

Ajla July 24th, 2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 941594)
Has to be this Lady--:)--Dorothea Lange--

Isn't she a wonderful lady? And a great photographer!
Looking forward to feeling the Tatra pictures! :)

Garlicluvr July 24th, 2012 10:12 AM

Hi Ax/Red/Aj: Havent been around here much lately so thought I would drop in and see how you all were doing. Like the pics Ax and Aj. Always did like Wolves, just something almost mystical about them.

Been shooting the bows a bit more some 3D shoots at the range, and tinkering with bows and arrows. When shooting this past sunday and retrieving an arrow stumbled onto a clutch of eggs, ground nest eggs light brown with speckles about chicken egg size. Was pondering what it might be when I heard some movement rustling in the brush looked to see a hen turkey trotting away, mystery solved.

Ax I have been seeing quite a few Wing Thunderbirds on Ebay lately from 40 up to 60 pounds.

Getting ready to purchase a fletching jig to start building my own arrows.

Jeff

axhandle July 24th, 2012 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 941841)
hey ya'lls where's gixx?

Gixx as in, Gixx?--chuckle

axhandle July 24th, 2012 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 942092)
Isn't she a wonderful lady? And a great photographer!
Looking forward to feeling the Tatra pictures! :)

Yes,! and the camera, !!---My Quest--for one like it--even if I have to make one!

Very Large Format, sheet film/ ----It sees what digitals -do not--:), and captures things that even the eye does not see--

Karel Plicka---One of my favorite B/W photographers--Europe.

Dorathea --She --'Captured" real life.----

Attached -G'Fathers Village, he was about 17 when he came to America,--'Low Tatras'-(There are High and Low Tatras)--

axhandle July 24th, 2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 942106)
Hi Ax/Red/Aj: Havent been around here much lately so thought I would drop in and see how you all were doing. Like the pics Ax and Aj. Always did like Wolves, just something almost mystical about them.

Been shooting the bows a bit more some 3D shoots at the range, and tinkering with bows and arrows. When shooting this past sunday and retrieving an arrow stumbled onto a clutch of eggs, ground nest eggs light brown with speckles about chicken egg size. Was pondering what it might be when I heard some movement rustling in the brush looked to see a hen turkey trotting away, mystery solved.

Ax I have been seeing quite a few Wing Thunderbirds on Ebay lately from 40 up to 60 pounds.

Getting ready to purchase a fletching jig to start building my own arrows.

Jeff

Sounds like what you describe--!-lucky you!--

Am going to have a look at the Wings--online--I miss mine--had to sell it to meet Family needs at the time, ('70's as I recall)---

Oh, Boy --are you going to have fun fletching---"Feathers of the Grey Goose"--next door neighbor wanted me to get rid of Crows in his garden, which I hope to soon, (Minor Malady) going on with me (Mobility)---may be able to send you some Crow feathers , along with the other stuff marked Jeff downstairs-

Very Good , to hear from you--became concerned, and as ever -yourlearned input---Ax.

axhandle July 24th, 2012 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great Uncle--broken English

"When you go in the 'voods- 'Body--(Buddy)---(Woods/Forest),-- you go like 'De Wolf,-- see 'everyting, hear 'everyting,and remember every 'ting(everything)--

American artist--Carpathian Wolf--as you withdraw away from the painting, the image is much more vivid--

Ajla July 25th, 2012 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 942175)
Yes,! and the camera, !!---My Quest--for one like it--even if I have to make one!

Very Large Format, sheet film/ ----It sees what digitals -do not--:), and captures things that even the eye does not see--

Karel Plicka---One of my favorite B/W photographers--Europe.

Dorathea --She --'Captured" real life.----

Attached -G'Fathers Village, he was about 17 when he came to America,--'Low Tatras'-(There are High and Low Tatras)--

Thanks! Didn't know him!

Garlicluvr July 26th, 2012 07:28 AM

Ax: Sorry to hear about mobility issues, hope things improve.

Uncle's health has detioriated and he cant get around the house without help so we found a home health aide to come in during the week when we work and my wife and I take turns staying home with him on the weekends.

Waiting on a new archery matt for the yard as I wore out the indian cord mat, even after soaking several times it doesnt stop my arrows well anymore. Had a few complete pass throughs from the 36 to 40lb target bows. I am going to let the boys shoot that one and maybe find or make something to put behind it to add some stopping power. It will stop the arrows from the kids bows at least.

Looking forward to fletching and building arrows, a little cheaper than having them done and easier to customize them. A little initial investment but after that cheaper. Besides I like fiddling with stuff.

Had pretty bad drought here finally getting some storms here, even my dogwood trees were hurting leaves withering before the rains came. Its been pretty brutally hot too. Plus side I guess is no grass to mow as a lot of it just burnt up.

Hope all is well with the family.

Jeff:)

Ajla July 27th, 2012 08:46 AM

Since you're not too mobile, I'll make you travel by picture!

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1726.jpg

axhandle July 27th, 2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 942658)
Since you're not too mobile, I'll make you travel by picture!

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1726.jpg

Love the building,dont recognize, what is it used for?
1668--the year---built to last!:)

axhandle July 27th, 2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 942477)
Ax: Sorry to hear about mobility issues, hope things improve.

Uncle's health has detioriated and he cant get around the house without help so we found a home health aide to come in during the week when we work and my wife and I take turns staying home with him on the weekends.

Waiting on a new archery matt for the yard as I wore out the indian cord mat, even after soaking several times it doesnt stop my arrows well anymore. Had a few complete pass throughs from the 36 to 40lb target bows. I am going to let the boys shoot that one and maybe find or make something to put behind it to add some stopping power. It will stop the arrows from the kids bows at least.

Looking forward to fletching and building arrows, a little cheaper than having them done and easier to customize them. A little initial investment but after that cheaper. Besides I like fiddling with stuff.

Had pretty bad drought here finally getting some storms here, even my dogwood trees were hurting leaves withering before the rains came. Its been pretty brutally hot too. Plus side I guess is no grass to mow as a lot of it just burnt up.

Hope all is well with the family.

Jeff,

Off and on thunderstorms for 2 months now,but drought--most all gardens are Kaput.

Stacked haybales make very good backstops--Mobility back now.

I hope Uncle gets better, didn't know you were taking care of him---Best to all--Ax.

Ajla July 28th, 2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 942780)
Love the building,dont recognize, what is it used for?
1668--the year---built to last!:)

Ax? You disappoint me! ;)
I'll give you another day before I give you a hint! :)

axhandle July 28th, 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 942852)
Ax? You disappoint me! ;)
I'll give you another day before I give you a hint! :)

The "Game and Challenge are Afoot!":)

axhandle July 28th, 2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 942884)
The "Game and Challenge are Afoot!":)

No hints for three days-:)--they are weighing cheese, now I have to find out which one and where--(Weigh House)----Gouda--;):)

Ajla July 29th, 2012 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 942892)
No hints for three days-:)--they are weighing cheese, now I have to find out which one and where--(Weigh House)----Gouda--;):)

100 points! :) You know that I've only now been there for the first time?
Very pleasant city! Next trip........?

axhandle July 29th, 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 942978)
100 points! :) You know that I've only now been there for the first time?
Very pleasant city! Next trip........?

I love puzzles, Aj---:)

axhandle July 30th, 2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 942298)
Thanks! Didn't know him!

One thing leads to another in my befuddled mind-:), your post of the pic by Plicka, mountain man sparked off some stories my G'Father related.

At 10 his job was to take the sheep up in the mountains at the beginning of Spring , and keep them thru Summer--then bring them back down in Fall----more laterThanks for the "Spark" to ignite my mind again.

Ajla July 31st, 2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 943177)
One thing leads to another in my befuddled mind-:), your post of the pic by Plicka, mountain man sparked off some stories my G'Father related.

At 10 his job was to take the sheep up in the mountains at the beginning of Spring , and keep them thru Summer--then bring them back down in Fall----more laterThanks for the "Spark" to ignite my mind again.

Other people's memories are just as precious as one's own! :)

axhandle August 3rd, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 943282)
Other people's memories are just as precious as one's own! :)

No truer words, Aj :)

Ajla August 7th, 2012 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or you prefer the boozing ladies? ;)

axhandle August 7th, 2012 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 944413)
Or you prefer the boozing ladies? ;)

Aj, thats the Kielbasa for the celebration!-:)

Gypsy band, some Flamenco and dance the Haijduk!:D

axhandle August 8th, 2012 05:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Welp, 'bout time--going to Coast , it's been about 15 yrs now----spent much of my youth there--on vacation--Attached 1962----I know the exact spot , and plan to take a pic---after all--50 yrs ago-:)

Much Seafood to be put on table, plan to cook at least one day, otherwise---My nature takes me to other endeavours,-G'son and I are going after a Shark or two, Snorkeling (Maybe some Flounder gigging)--etc.

'An there be, tales 'O Buried Spanish Gold, just offshore, --Spanish Shanty-'be 'tha lead"---;):)

axhandle August 8th, 2012 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 944728)
Welp, 'bout time--going to Coast , it's been about 15 yrs now----spent much of my youth there--on vacation--Attached 1962----I know the exact spot , and plan to take a pic---after all--50 yrs ago-:)

Much Seafood to be put on table, plan to cook at least one day, otherwise---My nature takes me to other endeavours,-G'son and I are going after a Shark or two, Snorkeling (Maybe some Flounder gigging)--etc.

'An there be, tales 'O Buried Spanish Gold, just offshore, --Spanish Shanty-'be 'tha lead"---;):)

Note date-It was a month before I got pics back---My,My---chuckle.

Ajla August 9th, 2012 12:38 PM

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1733.jpg

I got a sore bum going on a four our bicycle ride. Over the bridge, along the dyke, cross with the shuttle, and back the other side. Great fun! No fishing, but took my picnic! :)

axhandle August 9th, 2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 944869)
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1733.jpg

I got a sore bum going on a four our bicycle ride. Over the bridge, along the dyke, cross with the shuttle, and back the other side. Great fun! No fishing, but took my picnic! :)

I'll bet Aj, some of the bike saddles are rough!--had a Brooks saddle ,all leather on one of mine, like to have never gotten it broken in--saddle sores----And what was in the picnic basket--cheese, bread,etc-;):)

Plan to rent a bike when "Im Kuste'--there is a state park bordering the lodging, 1300 acres,--cycling, hiking trails, and the prettiest unspoiled environment on the "Emerald Coast" as it is referred to.

Last but not least:------"Ms. Tussy departed this p.m."--they didn't give me an ETA, but hopefully short.

" I have Silver in my hair, Gold in my teeth,---and Lead in my Bottom"-:D

Ajla August 12th, 2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 944957)
I'll bet Aj, some of the bike saddles are rough!--had a Brooks saddle ,all leather on one of mine, like to have never gotten it broken in--saddle sores----And what was in the picnic basket--cheese, bread,etc-;):)

Plan to rent a bike when "Im Kuste'--there is a state park bordering the lodging, 1300 acres,--cycling, hiking trails, and the prettiest unspoiled environment on the "Emerald Coast" as it is referred to.

Last but not least:------"Ms. Tussy departed this p.m."--they didn't give me an ETA, but hopefully short.

" I have Silver in my hair, Gold in my teeth,---and Lead in my Bottom"-:D

I'd never noticed those paintings on the bedroom walls before!
I know Leadbelly, but leadbottom too? :D
Ms Tussy, I'd almost forgotten her, hope she's a good sailor!

Ajla August 17th, 2012 09:16 AM

Surprise! Not only Tussy but also her sister arrived! I made them both welcome! :D
Thank you for the inlaid box, next project.... clogs?
And then the piece de resistance: the conker! I'm spoiled!

axhandle August 19th, 2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 945304)
I'd never noticed those paintings on the bedroom walls before!
I know Leadbelly, but leadbottom too? :D
Ms Tussy, I'd almost forgotten her, hope she's a good sailor!

I hadn't either--Vince and Theo--Rather a cozy little spot for a Snooze--I'm rather sparton , by nature anyway.

Hope Ms.Tussy and Sister got along o.k. during the trip-:D

axhandle August 19th, 2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 945920)
Surprise! Not only Tussy but also her sister arrived! I made them both welcome! :D
Thank you for the inlaid box, next project.... clogs?
And then the piece de resistance: the conker! I'm spoiled!

Pretty fast !
You have read my mind, again-:)--yes clogs next--after doodling for a year or so--.
The Conker is off the bush, in backyard from last summer----

Ajla August 21st, 2012 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd never heard of him before!

axhandle August 22nd, 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 946473)
I'd never heard of him before!

New one on me too:)--looked it up--"A Player With a Hermit"--he seems to like Mountain scenes--

axhandle August 22nd, 2012 09:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last week---'Im Kuste--Gulf Coast.

1. "The View From the Terrace"
2."The Only Hot Pink One on the Beach"---G'kids had a ball, and it came in handy!.
3. "Emerald Seas"---This section is known as 'The Emerald Coast', aptly named.

Garlicluvr August 22nd, 2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 946662)
Last week---'Im Kuste--Gulf Coast.

1. "The View From the Terrace"
2."The Only Hot Pink One on the Beach"---G'kids had a ball, and it came in handy!.
3. "Emerald Seas"---This section is known as 'The Emerald Coast', aptly named.

Looks like it was nice there Ax, hope you had a good time. Only one question where are the pics of the hot bikini girls? :D

Weather has cooled off here and rains came again so its been much more pleasant to work or play outside. Been mowing grass and playing with bows in between a few projects.

Put down ceramic tile in my laundry room, it had peeling linoleum that was a bear if not impossible to keep clean.

Taking care of uncle who I am afraid doesnt have much time left and getting the kids ready for school.

Shooting bows and grass mowing help me relax and destress some. Should have my new target today.

Hope all is well in Bama, If all goes well might get my Garlic in this fall.

axhandle August 22nd, 2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 946689)
Looks like it was nice there Ax, hope you had a good time. Only one question where are the pics of the hot bikini girls? :D

Weather has cooled off here and rains came again so its been much more pleasant to work or play outside. Been mowing grass and playing with bows in between a few projects.

Put down ceramic tile in my laundry room, it had peeling linoleum that was a bear if not impossible to keep clean.

Taking care of uncle who I am afraid doesnt have much time left and getting the kids ready for school.

Shooting bows and grass mowing help me relax and destress some. Should have my new target today.

Hope all is well in Bama, If all goes well might get my Garlic in this fall.

Jeff, how are you ol Buddy,--knew you have been very tied up-Uncle etc, let me know if you need anything.

Yep, pics of bikinis, Pen wouldn't let me take any--chuckle-:D

That floor work is a killer, SIL is good at it and I'll probably have to hire him out---tile--now that is a challenge!

Yes, the bow is a good diversion from stress/tension--focus on it and don't think about problems, otherwise you may start thinking problems the next time you try to shoot.--I recall Mr.Hill he shot 6 dozen each day 7 days a week--even up to 70+ yrs old--Be glad when you get your new target, still in pursuit of a string for the longbow--just hadn't looked too hard-:)

Drought hot and dry for about 6 weeks, then the Monsoons came, what the heat didn't get drowning got--

Went US 231 to the Gulf, ordinarily for about 200 miles, there were roadside vegetables, and fruit galore---about every 5 miles--I only saw less than a dozen the whole time.---Depressing.

Good to hear from you---Ax.

Garlicluvr August 22nd, 2012 09:17 PM

Ax: The floor work is tough even with knee-pads (a necessity for tile) hard on knees and back. Did it over a weekend, first day got the old ripped up and scraped and put down underlay. Next day laid and grouted tile.

Of course I ran in to a few issue, always do. While removing everything from the room discovered the laundry sink didn't have any cut-offs for water supplies. So had to run to the store and pick up a couple cut-off valves and faucet supply hoses, come back cut off main water supply to the house and install cut-offs on the lines.

Then when I re-installed the sink with the tile being about 3/8" to 1/2" higher than the linoleum the trap wouldn't quite reach far enough up into the sink tailpiece and I had a little flood the first time I used it. Off to the store again for new tailpiece to fix that.

Murphy's law I guess always some complication.

The very next week my kitchen drain sprung a leak, piece of metal drain pipe that tee's off to the dishwasher corroded all the way through, fell apart in my hand when I went to take it off. So another trip to Lowe's and more plumbing pieces but had it fixed by the next day.

Darn good thing I can do most repairs and home improvement projects myself. Saved enough just on the simple plumbing projects to buy another bow. With Plumbers charging $100 just to show up and $60 an hour or better after that.

Got the target tonight and after building a quick wheelchair ramp for the Uncle was able to get out and shoot four dozen arrows. Shot pretty well and like the new target. The center is replaceable too so a few years down the road when I shoot it out I can order a new core and just replace that.

If you end up needing a target other than hay bales, American Whitetail out of Indiana makes very good ones. I got the largest one I could order without having to go freight on shipping and having the shipping cost as much as the target. This one is 36" Square and about 18" thick foam and runs about $200 with free shipping.

I did end up buying a used Olympic recurve from a guy that shot in College but hadn't shot since. Bow was just sitting in his basement so got a good deal on the complete rig, riser, limbs, hard case, top of the line target sight and full stabilizers. All the bells and whistles. I do still like the longbows and simple one piece recurves better and shoot them the most. But the Oly bow is fun to play with too and I might shoot a little competition with it.

axhandle August 23rd, 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 946757)
Ax: The floor work is tough even with knee-pads (a necessity for tile) hard on knees and back. Did it over a weekend, first day got the old ripped up and scraped and put down underlay. Next day laid and grouted tile.

Of course I ran in to a few issue, always do. While removing everything from the room discovered the laundry sink didn't have any cut-offs for water supplies. So had to run to the store and pick up a couple cut-off valves and faucet supply hoses, come back cut off main water supply to the house and install cut-offs on the lines.

Then when I re-installed the sink with the tile being about 3/8" to 1/2" higher than the linoleum the trap wouldn't quite reach far enough up into the sink tailpiece and I had a little flood the first time I used it. Off to the store again for new tailpiece to fix that.

Murphy's law I guess always some complication.

The very next week my kitchen drain sprung a leak, piece of metal drain pipe that tee's off to the dishwasher corroded all the way through, fell apart in my hand when I went to take it off. So another trip to Lowe's and more plumbing pieces but had it fixed by the next day.

Darn good thing I can do most repairs and home improvement projects myself. Saved enough just on the simple plumbing projects to buy another bow. With Plumbers charging $100 just to show up and $60 an hour or better after that.

Got the target tonight and after building a quick wheelchair ramp for the Uncle was able to get out and shoot four dozen arrows. Shot pretty well and like the new target. The center is replaceable too so a few years down the road when I shoot it out I can order a new core and just replace that.

If you end up needing a target other than hay bales, American Whitetail out of Indiana makes very good ones. I got the largest one I could order without having to go freight on shipping and having the shipping cost as much as the target. This one is 36" Square and about 18" thick foam and runs about $200 with free shipping.

I did end up buying a used Olympic recurve from a guy that shot in College but hadn't shot since. Bow was just sitting in his basement so got a good deal on the complete rig, riser, limbs, hard case, top of the line target sight and full stabilizers. All the bells and whistles. I do still like the longbows and simple one piece recurves better and shoot them the most. But the Oly bow is fun to play with too and I might shoot a little competition with it.

Gads---plumbing touch one thing and everything else blows out-:), yep plumbing is nothing but a pain!. Tip--leak that will have to wait but need until major repair---Bondo--besides duct tape the best inventions of the 21'st century:D

Uncle used to shoot some competition, had everything on it including mercury stabilizers--intriguiging--. I don't doubt someone has come up with laser and infrared sights by now:)

Looked up Wing T-bird on e bay, your mention--there was one Exactly like my old one, got outbid!, will look in on the target--thanks.

axhandle August 23rd, 2012 01:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
"Im Kuste" Day 1 or two--I don't remember--No problem, why worry about what the date and time are on vacation.;):)

1. A sunset.
2."Storm at Sea"---about 20 miles out--Reminded me of the Bimini test.
3."Emerald Coast!"
4."Sunset"-1st day.

axhandle August 23rd, 2012 08:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Aj,

1.Then
2.Now--

Same spot, Eerde.

In 1, the bush grew to a tree.

Love this type of experiences in life---

Ajla August 24th, 2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 946915)
Aj,

1.Then
2.Now--

Same spot, Eerde.

In 1, the bush grew to a tree.

Love this type of experiences in life---

Where did you get those pics from?
Love the thunderstorm pic too!

axhandle August 24th, 2012 11:22 AM

Aj, the ocean/beach pics are from Vacation last week, Panama City Beach, Fl.The clouds are from what is known as a Squall,the dark band at the bottom, I estimated it at about 20 miles out!

The Then and Now--are from a site--"Market Garden Then and Now"

Ajla August 24th, 2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947011)
Aj, the ocean/beach pics are from Vacation last week, Panama City Beach, Fl.The clouds are from what is known as a Squall,the dark band at the bottom, I estimated it at about 20 miles out!

The Then and Now--are from a site--"Market Garden Then and Now"

I thought so! I grew up in Oosterbeek and as children we laid flowers in the airborne cemetry. They still have the Airborne march every year there.

axhandle August 24th, 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 947052)
I thought so! I grew up in Oosterbeek and as children we laid flowers in the airborne cemetry. They still have the Airborne march every year there.

Thanks, Aj for doing so, I know many of their relatives would love to know that.
Airborne Parade every year, WOW!

axhandle August 24th, 2012 07:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More Vacation Pics--
"The Red Sun was pasted in the sky like a wafer"
'Red Badge of Courage'--Stephen Crane.

axhandle August 24th, 2012 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aj,

This is one of the prettiest pictures I have seen----Oosterbeek.

axhandle August 25th, 2012 01:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
"Fishing at the Jetties"
1.G'Kids
2. "Rocky Racoon"--literally--Bandit gang home in the rocks, people put their beach stuff down ,walk off and the "Bandits" strike!, and run back to hideout!---It was funny.
3.Reinforcements--there were three.

redneckplanter August 26th, 2012 11:03 AM

jest checking in to say hi ya'lls.smiles

axhandle August 26th, 2012 01:16 PM

Plant, 'Ol Bean --how are you!
Thought of you and Pepper the other day--re: acorns---T'storm came thru and the neighbors monster oak got the top blown out---there is one more big one left so --acorns--
Good to hear from you--

Ajla August 27th, 2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947357)
Plant, 'Ol Bean --how are you!
Thought of you and Pepper the other day--re: acorns---T'storm came thru and the neighbors monster oak got the top blown out---there is one more big one left so --acorns--
Good to hear from you--

http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/man...nted_trees.php

axhandle August 27th, 2012 02:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 947486)

Aj,
As usual you come up with "Material of Merit", I will download the movie to disk--

Meanwhile:

This is the Village of 'The Robin Hood of Slovakia"--a few more later--Shepards View?---I'd say-;):)

And in the village--

Such Features!--I believe Karel Plicka made this one , but not sure.

axhandle August 27th, 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 946863)
Gads---plumbing touch one thing and everything else blows out-:), yep plumbing is nothing but a pain!. Tip--leak that will have to wait but need until major repair---Bondo--besides duct tape the best inventions of the 21'st century:D

Uncle used to shoot some competition, had everything on it including mercury stabilizers--intriguiging--. I don't doubt someone has come up with laser and infrared sights by now:)

Looked up Wing T-bird on e bay, your mention--there was one Exactly like my old one, got outbid!, will look in on the target--thanks.

Have a movie for you Jeff--"All the Pretty Horses"--Penelope is in it.

Note T-shirt my G'Son has on, a bit blurred, but had to shoot quick--:)

axhandle August 27th, 2012 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947545)

addendum--

Ajla August 29th, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947546)
addendum--

Fishing is a serious occupation! :D

Garlicluvr August 29th, 2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947545)

I like the T-shirt Ax. Think I have seen the movie but might be worth a watch again for Pen.

Hope you dont get too much damage from Isaac remnants. Stay safe

axhandle August 29th, 2012 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 947842)
Fishing is a serious occupation! :D

It is at that--:)

Son's creation, made from scrap metal weighs about 10lbs.

Garlicluvr August 29th, 2012 10:43 AM

Ax: You could throw a hurricane party.

Keeping busy here at work and home plenty of projects. Weather has been exceptional for the most part lately less humid and cooler. I feel fall coming and cant wait.

October is my favorite month, cooler weather and fall foilage, doesnt get much better.

axhandle August 29th, 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 947843)
I like the T-shirt Ax. Think I have seen the movie but might be worth a watch again for Pen.

Hope you dont get too much damage from Isaac remnants. Stay safe

Overcast here, light winds, looks like it will track NW then cycle NE around and above Ms., probably some rain and moderate winds---Thanks---:)

Garlicluvr August 29th, 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947845)

Nice rooster and those maters look pretty good too. There is a local guy here that does a lot of metal art. Statues of all sorts of animals, dinosaurs etc from scrap car parts mostly. Pretty neat.

axhandle August 29th, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 947849)
Nice rooster and those maters look pretty good too. There is a local guy here that does a lot of metal art. Statues of all sorts of animals, dinosaurs etc from scrap car parts mostly. Pretty neat.

Wish I owned a junk yard, would build a Rocket and put it in Intersteller Overdrive--:D

P.S. Big market here for that art.German Johnsons--almost the last of them--:(:)

axhandle August 29th, 2012 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff, A pic for you--down at Moundville ,Al---note what is in his left hand--

Ajla August 30th, 2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947845)

Takes after his dad? :)

axhandle August 30th, 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 948013)
Takes after his dad? :)

He is one who takes his abilities for granted, as a matter of course, and underutilizes it.Very good artist when the notion hits.

I'm a Dabbler compared to him--::D)

Cold in Holland yet?

axhandle August 30th, 2012 01:45 PM

To all:

G'son got a Scholarship to University of the Cumberland, Ky. (Sports and Academics) he's been in class for two weeks now, and settled in.
We commited to pick up the tab for books--only thing that wasn't covered--and it bothers Me--not, just thankful for his opportunity.

Ajla August 31st, 2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 948038)
He is one who takes his abilities for granted, as a matter of course, and underutilizes it.Very good artist when the notion hits.

I'm a Dabbler compared to him--::D)

Cold in Holland yet?

http://www.aggelen.com/airborne/airborne.html

Garlicluvr August 31st, 2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 947866)
Jeff, A pic for you--down at Moundville ,Al---note what is in his left hand--

Flint knapping? couldn't make it out clearly but looks about the right size shape for a spearhead or knife blade.

Something I have never tried but would like to sometime.

axhandle August 31st, 2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 948142)
Flint knapping? couldn't make it out clearly but looks about the right size shape for a spearhead or knife blade.

Something I have never tried but would like to sometime.

Have found several, plowed fields etc. About the right size for a spearpoint/short sword --so to speak.

I surmise from the pic, and the makers hands he is showing about the length of the handle--but knowing the versitility, could be used for both--or more--left palm, deerhide palm guard, two layers, and not shown--a deer antler for "Fleaking the Flint"---

axhandle August 31st, 2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 948131)

Aj,
Visited the site ,and I am so pleased that 'Remembrance', Sacrifice of the past, and Learning Lessons of the past, are still alive--there are many good people still about--

I envisioned you, as a young Lass, when I saw the pics of the young at the Ceremonies,---

Thank You for the link, I never knew it was available.

axhandle August 31st, 2012 12:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cayennes Anyone?---chuckle-just 30-50,000 Scovill's, mild--but enough to call the Fire Dept--chuckle--very good year--

Fresh off the vine and dried---:)

Ajla September 1st, 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 948196)
Aj,
Visited the site ,and I am so pleased that 'Remembrance', Sacrifice of the past, and Learning Lessons of the past, are still alive--there are many good people still about--

I envisioned you, as a young Lass, when I saw the pics of the young at the Ceremonies,---

Thank You for the link, I never knew it was available.

They had a good day for it, not too warm but sunny, no rain, and a splendid evening for the celabrations. I crossed the bridge but am going to read my book tonight!

axhandle September 1st, 2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 948339)
They had a good day for it, not too warm but sunny, no rain, and a splendid evening for the celabrations. I crossed the bridge but am going to read my book tonight!

Outstanding! Aj, sweet dreams--

axhandle September 1st, 2012 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 948393)
Outstanding! Aj, sweet dreams--

BTW, I know you are familiar with this fellow--:)

Ajla September 3rd, 2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 948395)
BTW, I know you are familiar with this fellow--:)

Not my favourite kind of music, but he's very popular here!
So why don't you have your Labor Day on the first of May like the rest of us? :D

axhandle September 3rd, 2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 948569)
Not my favourite kind of music, but he's very popular here!
So why don't you have your Labor Day on the first of May like the rest of us? :D

Just another day to me---:D

Gemini Jim September 5th, 2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 948569)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_day:

"The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would be associated with the nascent Communist, Syndicalist and Anarchist movements that, though distinct from one another, had rallied to commemorate the Haymarket Affair in International Workers' Day."

Ajla September 5th, 2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini Jim (Post 948813)
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_day:

"The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would be associated with the nascent Communist, Syndicalist and Anarchist movements that, though distinct from one another, had rallied to commemorate the Haymarket Affair in International Workers' Day."

Thanks!

Ajla September 5th, 2012 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 948590)
Just another day to me---:D

This is on the cover of the book I'm reading. Love the expression!
Do you know it?