IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

Ajla April 10th, 2012 03:37 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 914933)
Poplar it is!
Guess who came , Saturday!---and exactly, as I remember---Much thanksand as promised reciprocation--.

The mold, I remember your post on the big ones, and yes --another idea, goes along with the Die Vroon card--

Indebted to you --

P.S. Out of the 8 tulip bulbs from last year , appears that only 2 will make it--but maybe they are the strongest and next -at least 4 of each.

Ax

Glad she arrived! :)

axhandle April 10th, 2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 915168)
the world is alive right now.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.smiles

Mornin Plant, sounds like you are a bit Chipper today--good to hear from you.:)

Garlicluvr April 10th, 2012 11:19 AM

Ax: Still busy here had to get out the hoses and soakers this weekend to water my peas havent had any rain for a couple of weeks and they were thirsty. Will see if they make befor hot weather hits.

Have three fruit trees that should be arriving today or tomorrow. One to replace a peach that a buck used for a rub last fall and killed was just a yearling tree and I had taken down the fencing around it to prune and spread the branches some. Hadnt had any deer problems all summer but wouldnt you know as soon as I take the cages down some would show up.

Got another peach just because you can never have too many peaches.:D And the third is a pie cherry that brings me up to two pie cherries lost one of those to disease too and have been waiting to get enough cherries for a homemade cherry pie. Nothing like the store bought ones or those made from canned pie filling you can have those.

It now looks like my one Nectarine tree that was doing so well until the high winds during one of the hurricanes last year uprooted it did not survive the winter either so another tree to order. I righted that one the very next morning tamped the dirt back down around the roote and mounded some more on top then tamped again and staked it and it looked like it recovered fine but no buds or bloom this spring.

Asparagus is slowly making a few spears gave it a bit of water the other day too. Blackberry bushes look to be set for another bumper crop guess I need to order some pint and quart containers and start selling some this year or maybe gear up for blackberry wine. Got around 20 quarts last year, lots of pie, cobbler and jam.

Blueberries looking pretty good too need to add sulfur to all and fertilize with holly tone or other acid loving plant fertilizer. Grapes are finally filling out the arbor and have new sprouts. Things are shaping up pretty good. My oldest peach is beautiful and I got it pruned this weekend, grows like a weed so needs pretty heavy pruning every spring and thinning to keep it from bearing too heavy. Must have had a couple hundred baby peaches before pruning and will still need to be thinned later. I usually have to pick off about every other peach the thing is always so loaded.

Hope I get some rain soon or I will be watering a couple times a week to keep things alive.

Need to soak that archery target too and set it up so I can shoot more.

Hope all is well in Bama.

Jeff:)

Ajla April 11th, 2012 08:30 AM

http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm

This is where I hope to go on my next trip! :)

redneckplanter April 11th, 2012 10:01 AM

grow it baby grow it.

axhandle April 11th, 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 915276)
Ax: Still busy here had to get out the hoses and soakers this weekend to water my peas havent had any rain for a couple of weeks and they were thirsty. Will see if they make befor hot weather hits.

Have three fruit trees that should be arriving today or tomorrow. One to replace a peach that a buck used for a rub last fall and killed was just a yearling tree and I had taken down the fencing around it to prune and spread the branches some. Hadnt had any deer problems all summer but wouldnt you know as soon as I take the cages down some would show up.

Got another peach just because you can never have too many peaches.:D And the third is a pie cherry that brings me up to two pie cherries lost one of those to disease too and have been waiting to get enough cherries for a homemade cherry pie. Nothing like the store bought ones or those made from canned pie filling you can have those.

It now looks like my one Nectarine tree that was doing so well until the high winds during one of the hurricanes last year uprooted it did not survive the winter either so another tree to order. I righted that one the very next morning tamped the dirt back down around the roote and mounded some more on top then tamped again and staked it and it looked like it recovered fine but no buds or bloom this spring.

Asparagus is slowly making a few spears gave it a bit of water the other day too. Blackberry bushes look to be set for another bumper crop guess I need to order some pint and quart containers and start selling some this year or maybe gear up for blackberry wine. Got around 20 quarts last year, lots of pie, cobbler and jam.

Blueberries looking pretty good too need to add sulfur to all and fertilize with holly tone or other acid loving plant fertilizer. Grapes are finally filling out the arbor and have new sprouts. Things are shaping up pretty good. My oldest peach is beautiful and I got it pruned this weekend, grows like a weed so needs pretty heavy pruning every spring and thinning to keep it from bearing too heavy. Must have had a couple hundred baby peaches before pruning and will still need to be thinned later. I usually have to pick off about every other peach the thing is always so loaded.

Hope I get some rain soon or I will be watering a couple times a week to keep things alive.

Need to soak that archery target too and set it up so I can shoot more.

Hope all is well in Bama.

You are The Busy Man , Jeff

Yep--can't ever have too many peaches-:)

Daughters Asparagus bed is going wild, but as to yet , not yet for me--last summer the cupbord was getting bare, but some asparagus in fridge, heated it up a bit, and made a sandwich out of it, just bread, mayonnaise and asparagus.---fantastic!

Having the usual Blackberry Winter cool snap here right now, but not as harsh as past.

G'Dad had apple /fruit trees , down at the Old Place--may have mentioned the property was once a vineyard, owned by a Briton (Brittany), who made wine.
One day as a youth Dad pointed over to an area , one of the terraces, and a Peach tree--"I helped Ambrosia bury 12 dozen bottles of wine over there"--(This was in the '30's)---" I don't believe the Authorities found those"--Ambrosia got raided by the ATF--

Yep, Blackberry pie, wine and Cordial--good for the stomach and the lungs---;):D

Good to hear from you--

axhandle April 11th, 2012 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 915500)
http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm

This is where I hope to go on my next trip! :)

Only --under two conditions!--:)

Leave a coin in the wall at Van Goghs --
Have a real Absinthe!---(The Green Faerie");):)

axhandle April 11th, 2012 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 915536)
You are The Busy Man , Jeff

Yep--can't ever have too many peaches-:)

Daughters Asparagus bed is going wild, but as to yet , not yet for me--last summer the cupbord was getting bare, but some asparagus in fridge, heated it up a bit, and made a sandwich out of it, just bread, mayonnaise and asparagus.---fantastic!

Having the usual Blackberry Winter cool snap here right now, but not as harsh as past.

G'Dad had apple /fruit trees , down at the Old Place--may have mentioned the property was once a vineyard, owned by a Briton (Brittany), who made wine.
One day as a youth Dad pointed over to an area , one of the terraces, and a Peach tree--"I helped Ambrosia bury 12 dozen bottles of wine over there"--(This was in the '30's)---" I don't believe the Authorities found those"--Ambrosia got raided by the ATF--

Yep, Blackberry pie, wine and Cordial--good for the stomach and the lungs---;):D

Good to hear from you--

Speaking of Peaches, Jeff---Ahemmm--:D

Garlicluvr April 12th, 2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 915668)
Speaking of Peaches, Jeff---Ahemmm--:D

A peach of a different sort but just as sweet. :D

For some reason my mind keeps wandering to shakespeare. A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

Good morning here still no rain and having a bit of Blackberry winter too Yesterday and today breezy and chilly.

Jeff

Garlicluvr April 12th, 2012 08:37 AM

Ax: Another one that just does it for me. Hope the link works is Zooey Deschanel.
Dont know exactly what it is about her maybe the eyes.

[IMG]http://images.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0PDoS2P2YZPHkwACnWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBpcGszamw 0BHNlYwNmcC1pbWcEc2xrA2ltZw--/SIG=12832hrba/EXP=1334266383/**http%3a//msyeahh.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/zooey-chloe/[/IMG]

Garlicluvr April 12th, 2012 08:41 AM

Lets try one more time.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/up...10-26-53_0.jpg

Jeff

axhandle April 13th, 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 915788)

"Sheez A Byeeut:):)

redneckplanter April 14th, 2012 01:16 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am gonna tell mrs.ax.........rotfl

Ajla April 14th, 2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 915541)
Only --under two conditions!--:)

Leave a coin in the wall at Van Goghs --
Have a real Absinthe!---(The Green Faerie");):)

Shoot! Won't be able to meet the second condition! :D

FritzDaKat April 14th, 2012 10:55 PM

Careful Ax, don't fall in here too long. Sorry I couldn't find this in November. :D

http://www.alchemylab.com/

axhandle April 15th, 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 916352)
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am gonna tell mrs.ax.........rotfl

"Oh, Noooo!"--"Mr.Bill" (SNL):D

axhandle April 15th, 2012 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 916354)
Shoot! Won't be able to meet the second condition! :D

Aj, if you could after a couple you would see Giverny as Monet and Van Gogh did--:D

I would like to go there someday, it's pretty.

axhandle April 15th, 2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzDaKat (Post 916657)
Careful Ax, don't fall in here too long. Sorry I couldn't find this in November. :D

http://www.alchemylab.com/

Fritz, the link is the Cats Meow, will spend much time on that spot--!

axhandle April 16th, 2012 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
"Wo ist Aj?---Auf , Tanzen?"--chuckle.

axhandle April 16th, 2012 12:22 PM

"Kar Kare Korner"--chuckle--

Engines rely on:

1.Fluids.
1.1. Oil.
1.2 Coolant.--and a good water pump, with proper of same.

Secondary:

My windsheild Wipers don't work!---??
A Light came on in the dash--"How Long? and what was the Color?---usual answer --"I don't Know"

"The Oil light came on, What does that mean!?"
"Steam is comeing out of the hood", what is That!?--"

All a Chuckle of --"Matters Past"---Yes , I pulled many a wrench--

No wonder I have become getting from A to Z, on a bicycle--chuckle.

Ajla April 17th, 2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 917207)

Sonsbeek waterval??????

Pepper April 17th, 2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 917220)

Engines rely on:

1.Fluids.
1.1. Oil.

Secondary:

A Light came on in the dash--"How Long? and what was the Color?---usual answer --"I don't Know"

Pathfinder patch .

axhandle April 17th, 2012 07:47 AM

Pathfinders --yes--

You may have already left for Saigon, Pep--but as I posted elswhere, have a good trip and toss a little dust into the wind for me--"Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust"

axhandle April 17th, 2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 917526)
Sonsbeek waterval??????

Ja--:)

axhandle April 17th, 2012 11:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 917207)

Aj, The "Pathfinders", were in Holland before --6- June , 1944--somewhere there must be a Vestige, if not--then there will be.

They only existed for a very short time, then , but Very Important----Objective-

axhandle April 17th, 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 917220)

Engines rely on:

1.Fluids.
1.1. Oil.

Secondary:

Chuckle--Change the Oil and Filter,check Radiator,with a Specific Gravity meter,check Air Filter, , found at the local auto supply---It's called Coolant-Propeylene Glycol---Anti Freeze- if you wonder why your auto suddendly starts pumping steam out of the Hood, it 'Cause you haven't changed Oil and checked the S.G.:) of the Radiator--

axhandle April 18th, 2012 10:43 AM

"Spring Cleaning"--chuckle.
Means "re-shuffleing of accumulated articles into respective piles--":D

As long as one remembers which pile , What, is in,--then a Gold Star--;)

Began "Cleaning Out"--the biggest question always is --"Where do I put it?"-

Finding stuff I had forgotten about, real Oil Pigments (Art)--the whole case,assorted Lab Optics, including Front Faced Mirrors, out of a Perkin -Elmer Atomic Absorption analyzer,two cameras I lost track of some 20 yrs. back, c. 1950's Foreign Legion "Outcoat" , repleate with Insignia, wool)-(Vintage-Superb),--and thats just three boxes---in three rooms--haven't even got to the Good Stuff yet---:)

P.S. Got my two parts after some 10 yrs now , in from Iowa--to finish my B40 BSA--Oh ,Heck --Where am I going to to put it!""---chuckle.

axhandle April 18th, 2012 10:55 AM

Hopefully this--in the end run.

Bought mine back in the '80's ('63 Model, 350 cc single-road it and decided to re-do) it was all origional, fellow even had the battery retainer (Rubber) and other parts in a cigar box

axhandle April 18th, 2012 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 918115)
Hopefully this--in the end run.

Bought mine back in the '80's ('63 Model, 350 cc single-road it and decided to re-do) it was all origional, fellow even had the battery retainer (Rubber) and other parts in a cigar box

Pic---

axhandle April 18th, 2012 11:30 AM

Of ,Couse it is Spring,--Almost-

All of those tools 'O 'Tha Sod used last Summer have to be re-done/maintained-- Sharpen treat the handles with Linseed Oil--

A file in the back pocket to sharpen a hoe, better still a trident--two "Rags" one with oil, and the other to wipe off the sweat--Ignore me,--- chuckle just a reminder of the past--'50's, we got paid 50 Cents an Hour, and the Rows, to Be Hoed- seemed ---Neverending!!--Thats when I decided to take up Rocket Science--chuckle--

Garlicluvr April 19th, 2012 07:11 AM

I know what you mean on the spring cleaning been doing some myself. Finally got some much needed rain the day after I planted my three replacement fruit trees. Should help everything including my grass tremendously and give me a little break from watering.

Hopefully we start getting showers more regularly as I still have some new berry bushes to get established and some more asparagus. Bought some mor purple passion asparagus crowns and a few more blueberries, one each of red, white, and black currant bushes and a couple elderberries. Last years elderberries didnt survive the fall drought I had. Just have to figure out where the currants and elderberries are going.

Been busy with spring chores and boys sports one is playing T-ball and the other is playing flag football. Need to take some time to fling a few arrows again if I can find any.

axhandle April 19th, 2012 10:18 AM

Raining for the last week here, mild cold snap, Jeff at least once a day, Tornado Season is nigh.

Will have to try the PP Asparagus, for years nothing but Mary Washington, boy do Iike asparagus!.Elderberries, some of the best wine that can be made.

G'Kids--Senior in H.S., now Varsity Baseball, it's born in, he love's it.Team now goes to State Championships.Other G'son on Archery team, 1st year and much yet to learn--"G'Daughters basketball--Yep I know about time that one never has enough of--

axhandle April 19th, 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 918370)
Raining for the last week here, mild cold snap, Jeff at least once a day, Tornado Season is nigh.

Will have to try the PP Asparagus, for years nothing but Mary Washington, boy do Iike asparagus!.Elderberries, some of the best wine that can be made.

G'Kids--Senior in H.S., now Varsity Baseball, it's born in, he love's it.Team now goes to State Championships.Other G'son on Archery team, 1st year and much yet to learn--"G'Daughters basketball--Yep I know about time that one never has enough of--

BTW--years ago ran across some stuff called abrasive cleaner, bought all he had, (Flea Market) short supply only 4 sticks.

Roughly a 2x2x 6" block of what appears to be natural rubber- had a lot of clogged sanding belts, that would have ordinarily discarded, it works like a pencil eraser-- hold it on and watch the belt/diisc clean up!--amazing stuff!!

Maybe still not around but post the info off the label:

Columbian( Not Columbia, made in Sri Lanka), Abrasive Cleaner
Brinks and Cotton
10610 Freedom St
Garrettsville , Oh. 44234.

It's amazing.;):)

Garlicluvr April 19th, 2012 10:31 AM

Ax: My youngest 6 is playing T-ball for the first season. Seems to be taking to it and paying attention to what the coaches are trying to teach him so off to a good start. I played T-ball for a couple years and a couple more of little league. Enjoyed playing and sometimes wish I had stuck with it longer. Moved and then didnt pick it back up in the new town. I was probably pre-occupied with hunting fishing and raoming the woods.

Garlicluvr April 19th, 2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 918373)
BTW--years ago ran across some stuff called abrasive cleaner, bought all he had, (Flea Market) short supply only 4 sticks.

Roughly a 2x2x 6" block of what appears to be natural rubber- had a lot of clogged sanding belts, that would have ordinarily discarded, it works like a pencil eraser-- hold it on and watch the belt/diisc clean up!--amazing stuff!!

Maybe still not around but post the info off the label:

Columbian( Not Columbia, made in Sri Lanka), Abrasive Cleaner
Brinks and Cotton
10610 Freedom St
Garrettsville , Oh. 44234.

It's amazing.;):)

Have some here in the work machine shop. They do work well on belt sander belts. Bought the last ones only a few years ago so think they are still widely available. Good stuff.

Garlicluvr April 19th, 2012 10:38 AM

I see our spammer roberte is at it again in POF obviously just likes to act like he knows it all and argue. One of those who keep showing up, but dont really want to have an intelligent discussion just want to spout their rhetoric and tell everyone else they are wrong.

Couldnt resist the other day and broke down and let him have it a bit on his 6 things you should know about renewable energy thread. Think its best to go back to resisting the temptation to respond to an obvious blowhard and just let him carry on a conversation with himself.

axhandle April 19th, 2012 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sending you an Official Certificate Of Completion--Jeff--Mine is in the basement , as a reminder----and In The "North Tower";):)---Even Superman has his Fortress of Solitude"--

axhandle April 19th, 2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 918376)
Ax: My youngest 6 is playing T-ball for the first season. Seems to be taking to it and paying attention to what the coaches are trying to teach him so off to a good start. I played T-ball for a couple years and a couple more of little league. Enjoyed playing and sometimes wish I had stuck with it longer. Moved and then didnt pick it back up in the new town. I was probably pre-occupied with hunting fishing and raoming the woods.

"A Walk in the Forest", sometimes for more than a day, no hurry, side bag packed---yes , I don't know of anything more healing.

axhandle April 19th, 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 918381)
I see our spammer roberte is at it again in POF obviously just likes to act like he knows it all in argue. One of those who keep showing up, but dont really want to have an intelligent discussion just want to spout their rhetoric and tell everyone else they are wrong.

Couldnt resist the other day and broke down and let him have it a bit on his 6 things you should know about renewable energy thread. Think its best to go back to resisting the temptation to respond to an obvious blowhard and just let him carry on a conversation with himself.

Your Cognizance and Grasp are -"Spot On", Jeff.

axhandle April 19th, 2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aj,--

springfever April 19th, 2012 10:20 PM

Ax, I think I saw every small town in the area this last couple of years when our little friend played basketball. Very tiring, but worth it to support her. 2 more years. I can do this, I can do this, ha ha

Garlicluvr April 20th, 2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 918537)
Aj,--

Nice: Monet Ax

FritzDaKat April 21st, 2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 918378)
Have some here in the work machine shop. They do work well on belt sander belts. Bought the last ones only a few years ago so think they are still widely available. Good stuff.

First job: "House of Sandpaer" I was labor, my friends Dad was the owner, "we" made sandpaper belts. :D

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sanding-belt-cleaners/=h7h7u7

Garlicluvr April 23rd, 2012 07:36 AM

Hey Ax: Thought of you this morning when I heard Jimmy Buffett singing "Stars fell on Alabama". I guess Jimmy is origionally an Alabama boy from Mobile.

Got a much needed long steady rain this weekend started Saturday night and went all day Sunday and still some on and off showers today. We really needed it as my clay soil had turned to concrete and the loamy spots were dust.

The plants are loving it but still think it may be too late to save my peas this year. Potatoes should make Ok at least.

axhandle April 24th, 2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfever (Post 918672)
Ax, I think I saw every small town in the area this last couple of years when our little friend played basketball. Very tiring, but worth it to support her. 2 more years. I can do this, I can do this, ha ha

Yep--:)

axhandle April 24th, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzDaKat (Post 919283)
First job: "House of Sandpaer" I was labor, my friends Dad was the owner, "we" made sandpaper belts. :D

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sanding-belt-cleaners/=h7h7u7

O.K., Garnet --chuckle-:)

axhandle April 24th, 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 919921)
Hey Ax: Thought of you this morning when I heard Jimmy Buffett singing "Stars fell on Alabama". I guess Jimmy is origionally an Alabama boy from Mobile.

Got a much needed long steady rain this weekend started Saturday night and went all day Sunday and still some on and off showers today. We really needed it as my clay soil had turned to concrete and the loamy spots were dust.

The plants are loving it but still think it may be too late to save my peas this year. Potatoes should make Ok at least.

Gads , "Stars Fell on Alabama"--back in '50's -'60's every halftime at a 'Bama Game--Fireworks (The Stars), Majorettes and Cheerleaders, men wore suits and women wore their best,---All got their Moneys Worth--Good Times--Thanx for Memory.

P.S. The College Games , the old "One 'O Clock Kickoff";):)

axhandle April 24th, 2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 919921)

Yep know about Clay Soil, Red Clay--'Bama and Georgia--
Might seem repulsive to some, but I hauled in some sand and two truckloads of processed sewage (Cheap)--sterilized from the plant--has no nutriants but--soil conditioner that can't be beat for clay---

axhandle April 24th, 2012 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Caravaggio--

Who is Counting Coins-;):)?

axhandle April 24th, 2012 11:34 AM

"Broken Glass"

axhandle April 24th, 2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 920351)
"Broken Glass"

Attempting --"Spring Cleaning"-I came across a bottle, the cap was still on it and pierced by an icepick (Common Practice), then-Made by Coca-Cola--later it was not a Coke but O.K.'d by---

Anyway --"it was 1952, Saturday Morning Shootouts--10 Cents.

On a very hot day, we used to go by the 7-Up plant--sidewalk, look in and see the bottles being washed and filled, 7.5 oz.just the right amount,--not to mention the glass was cool--;)

axhandle April 24th, 2012 11:55 AM

Sat Morning--T.V.'s whats that?--We didn't have one, my best friend, some 5yrs senior always came over (Invite)-on Friday afternoon, to watch 'Tarzan', Bomba of the Jungle,
Jungle Jim, Charley Chan on their BW T.V.---'Thence -Down to the Creek, swim in the Water Tank, catch some fish and look for snakes--Glory Days --"Life is Gravy"

Mook April 24th, 2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 920360)
Attempting --"Spring Cleaning"-I came across a bottle, the cap was still on it and pierced by an icepick (Common Practice), then-Made by Coca-Cola--later it was not a Coke but O.K.'d by---

Anyway --"it was 1952, Saturday Morning Shootouts--10 Cents.

On a very hot day, we used to go by the 7-Up plant--sidewalk, look in and see the bottles being washed and filled, 7.5 oz.just the right amount,--not to mention the glass was cool--;)

Give me a Yahoo Mountain Dew...10 cents...put it in a brown paper sack please...and...give me 15 cents worth of that penny candy too...make it tootsie rolls...root beer barrels...mary janes...butterscotch...bazooka joe bubble gum.Late 60's...when a quarter was worth a quarter.

FritzDaKat April 24th, 2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 918128)
Of ,Couse it is Spring,--Almost-

All of those tools 'O 'Tha Sod used last Summer have to be re-done/maintained-- Sharpen treat the handles with Linseed Oil--

A file in the back pocket to sharpen a hoe, better still a trident--two "Rags" one with oil, and the other to wipe off the sweat--Ignore me,--- chuckle just a reminder of the past--'50's, we got paid 50 Cents an Hour, and the Rows, to Be Hoed- seemed ---Neverending!!--Thats when I decided to take up Rocket Science--chuckle--

A whole 50 cents an hour?
Heck for those Kings wages I may just have stayed at Maggie's farm.

;)

axhandle April 25th, 2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 920374)
Give me a Yahoo Mountain Dew...10 cents...put it in a brown paper sack please...and...give me 15 cents worth of that penny candy too...make it tootsie rolls...root beer barrels...mary janes...butterscotch...bazooka joe bubble gum.Late 60's...when a quarter was worth a quarter.

Ask, 'an Ye Shall , Receive--;)--Just happen to have such 'Victuals ' about--;)

axhandle April 25th, 2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzDaKat (Post 920592)
A whole 50 cents an hour?
Heck for those Kings wages I may just have stayed at Maggie's farm.

;)

Yep, Fritz, and then the 50 cent was .999 real Silver--

Coke bottles brought 2 cents.

Half pint whisky bottles --5 cents, Pints a Dime ( A Mercury;))

axhandle April 28th, 2012 04:59 PM

Und Wo ist Ajla?, Tanzen auf Giverny?

Pepper April 28th, 2012 09:13 PM

anybody know what a hippo was (not the animal )buy a gaint sour pickle for a nickle , dime for a big hunk or a black cow , or a chunkie ,,,,,,garlic and green onion lays potato chips , those were the days ...:D

axhandle April 30th, 2012 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 922183)
anybody know what a hippo was (not the animal )buy a gaint sour pickle for a nickle , dime for a big hunk or a black cow , or a chunkie ,,,,,,garlic and green onion lays potato chips , those were the days ...:D

"Pickle for a Nickle , or a Nickle for a Pickle"-

Lay's 'Tater Chips--best.

One for you--attached

axhandle April 30th, 2012 11:43 AM

Gold Camp--pic of a year ago.

Yes , there is more than gold--Fly Fishing, "Set Lines"- for supper, garnets galore,--and gold, ancient settlement, artifacts and Agronomy---Planted some tomatoes last season, down there, in between running a Highbanker, Japanese workers from local plant had a ball.

No, not commercial , just a couple days respite.

axhandle April 30th, 2012 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 922656)
Gold Camp--pic of a year ago.

Yes , there is more than gold--Fly Fishing, "Set Lines"- for supper, garnets galore,--and gold, ancient settlement, artifacts and Agronomy---Planted some tomatoes last season, down there, in between running a Highbanker, Japanese workers from local plant had a ball.

No, not commercial , just a couple days respite.

--Last year--Brother --'Ready to "Cut and Shoot":)

axhandle April 30th, 2012 01:27 PM

"The globe we shall compass soon.
Swifter than the wandering moon--"

"Willie"--c.1500's.

Pepper April 30th, 2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 922616)
"Pickle for a Nickle , or a Nickle for a Pickle"-

Lay's 'Tater Chips--best.

One for you--attached

Operation Market garden maybe ?????

axhandle May 1st, 2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 922840)
Operation Market garden maybe ?????

Spot on, Pep.

A Bridge too Far" was on last week, been years since I'd seen it.

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 11:28 AM

Chuckle--

'Missus Jumps up---"What time is it!"

"Don't know,-- somewhere between daylight and dark,all the clocks in the house are set to different times---"

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 519394)
Pandora's Box---:)

I go to the master clock, (In My Corner:)) set at CST--for the last 10 yrs--it's On Time.

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Miscellaneous Pics-

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 923376)
Miscellaneous Pics-

Last Pic-- Mike Strank---C (z)hech-Slovak-Came to America(Very early age ), joined The Corps--One of the one's in the following--

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 923382)
Last Pic-- Mike Strank---C (z)hech-Slovak-Came to America(Very early age ), joined The Corps--One of the one's in the following--

Con'td--

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ira Hayes--Native America--

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rene Gagnon--French

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 923391)
Rene Gagnon--French

1st pic.

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 12:33 PM

Franklin Sousey and Harlon Block.

All Americans---'Me Hats Off'---Mike died two days later and as I am aware ,only one made it off the Island.

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 923383)
Con'td--

I might Say--that The Medic in the foreground---

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Con'td--

I might Say--that The Medic in the foreground---Was a Medic--

axhandle May 2nd, 2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Con'td--

Medic--

axhandle May 3rd, 2012 07:00 AM

Sorry for the scattered posts, something was kicking stuff back and timing out so had to submit fast---too fast--:)

Ajla May 4th, 2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 922120)
Und Wo ist Ajla?, Tanzen auf Giverny?

April has been so wet and cold that Giverny has been postponed. :mad:

axhandle May 5th, 2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 923845)
April has been so wet and cold that Giverny has been postponed. :mad:

Should be prettier about last of May .

Yes, rain and the cold snap-- but not as severe as in past years.
Some planted early and the mild cold didn't affect plantings.

Got tomatos out and thriving:
Cherokee Purple--a Grower!
German Johnson--1950's taste tomato.

Tiny Tims and some heirlomm Tommy Toes.
Also Cayenne peppers!--Good to see you back.

Pepper May 5th, 2012 11:25 PM

My tomatos are growing like crazy .... Ax I am sleeping better no sleep aids in a WHOLE WEEK ! Will be putting in a new central a/c unit in my house may just let them put in a new heating unit to ,17 years old at least they will match up !life aint bad if you arent fighting it :).

axhandle May 7th, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 924293)
My tomatos are growing like crazy .... Ax I am sleeping better no sleep aids in a WHOLE WEEK ! Will be putting in a new central a/c unit in my house may just let them put in a new heating unit to ,17 years old at least they will match up !life aint bad if you arent fighting it :).

Pep,
That is the best news anyone could come across!--I'm glad the cycle is turning, and I know you feel better as a result.

I expect a bumper crop year this time on, about everything---unless drought hits early, good bit of rain here and everything going wild.

17 yrs, get 'er done, both of them--heat/AC.

Yep---
"Life is Gravy", after certain points in time-;):)

Ax

axhandle May 7th, 2012 11:17 AM

Kar Kare Korner--

Internal--the engine:

Has to have ---Fluids--oil and water to Run.----

Oil--I use Mobil synthetic, factory, but use your own judgement and pocketbook as to what you pour into it--i.e.:

Norton (Motorcycle) 850 cc, c.74----Down South , straight 50 Weight--no additives, --the 'Brits and others, already know about ---"Pickleing" a cylinder.---I might add--"Seagull" engines--Superb.

Follow the instructions, the factory has already done the "Homework'--

Ajla May 8th, 2012 11:20 AM

Klimt got censored, but this unflattering bum didn't? :confused:

axhandle May 8th, 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 924635)
Kar Kare Korner--

Internal--the engine:

Has to have ---Fluids--oil and water to Run.----

Oil--I use Mobil synthetic, factory, but use your own judgement and pocketbook as to what you pour into it--i.e.:

Norton (Motorcycle) 850 cc, c.74----Down South , straight 50 Weight--no additives, --the 'Brits and others, already know about ---"Pickleing" a cylinder.---I might add--"Seagull" engines--Superb.

Follow the instructions, the factory has already done the "Homework'--

Bi Pedals--includes humans--chuckle:

Good lube for bearings in Bicycles, two parts graphite one part Vaseline, mix well.
Sturmey -Archer back hubs, are the best, engineering, Quality Control--all--
notice the lube point--on the outside of the hub---just put oil in it---and "Pull Off'--:)

Norton 850 Commando--c.74, has an oil filter,surprise,-run 50 weight in it in Hot Weather,---

axhandle May 8th, 2012 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 924904)
Bi Pedals--includes humans--chuckle:

Good lube for bearings in Bicycles, two parts graphite one part Vaseline, mix well.
Sturmey -Archer back hubs, are the best, engineering, Quality Control--all--
notice the lube point--on the outside of the hub---just put oil in it---and "Pull Off'--:)

Norton 850 Commando--c.74, has an oil filter,surprise,-run 50 weight in it in Hot Weather,---

Attached---

axhandle May 8th, 2012 11:48 AM

Exterior/ Interior--

Exterior-Any Meguires products, any Turtle Wax, and when you finally think --'It's Right-- chuckle---put on Zymol---but before that put on your sunglasses --It's Superb.

Interior--Leather--Happend across 2 gallons of Neetsfoot Oil, from the '60's---treated seats 3 yrs ago--still supple--

Find a bar of your favorite soap--preferably--real stuff--homemade--and throw it in the back--everytime you open the door---Mine is Indian Heather--

woodwitch May 9th, 2012 09:41 AM

Hey have you all ever heard of a vining spinich? I bought a couple at the BC Fest. last weekend and now I am scratching my head as to what to do with them.

axhandle May 9th, 2012 10:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Some of my favorites:

1. Tulips---Yes and Holland survived during WWII-eating Tulip Bulbs.

bunkie May 9th, 2012 10:17 AM

eating tulips ax? tell me more.

axhandle May 9th, 2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunkie (Post 925209)

Holland became occupied, during the time, a key Crossroad , in some's mind, at the time--the Controlling Factions decided to use Starve Into Submission, tactics--Which , of course was an Underestimation---

Find the Movie, and watch----"A Bridge Too Far", that will answer most of your question.

'Kate Ter Horst'---

axhandle May 9th, 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunkie (Post 925209)

Holland became occupied, during the time, a key Crossroad , in some's mind, at the time--the Controlling Factions decided to use Starve Into Submission, tactics--Which , of course was an Underestimation---

Find the Movie, and watch----"A Bridge Too Far", that will answer most of your question.

'Kate Ter Horst'---

axhandle May 9th, 2012 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 925225)

'Kate Ter Horst'---

---Left Pic , Kate--right Liv Ullman, who depicted Kate , and I might add thanks to "Liv"---the facts remain the same--

axhandle May 9th, 2012 11:36 AM

Hmmmmm---

woodwitch May 9th, 2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 925201)
Some of my favorites:

1. Tulips---Yes and Holland survived during WWII-eating Tulip Bulbs.

I didn't even know you could eat tulip bulbs. I wonder how you cook them and if they taste good.

RozieDozie May 9th, 2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 925251)
I didn't even know you could eat tulip bulbs. I wonder how you cook them and if they taste good.

The deer ate all of mine. :( Doubt if they cooked them, though. :D

Ajla May 10th, 2012 01:04 AM

I tried them once at a war memorial, and they weren't half as bitter as cippolini, which are a hyacint? As they say here: Hunger sweetens raw beans! ;)

chickweed May 10th, 2012 07:34 AM

I wonder what the nutrient value is in tulip bulbs. Bulbs are self-sufficient, and we know how healthy for us onion and garlic bulbs are!

axhandle May 10th, 2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 925418)
The deer ate all of mine. :( Doubt if they cooked them, though. :D

Darn Wild Boar here, if thats not Barbecue , I don't know what is--

Don't mess with my Tulips--:)

axhandle May 10th, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 924901)
Klimt got censored, but this unflattering bum didn't? :confused:

Me too-:confused:,--Julia-:)

axhandle May 10th, 2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 925185)
Hey have you all ever heard of a vining spinich? I bought a couple at the BC Fest. last weekend and now I am scratching my head as to what to do with them.

Vining Spinich --thanks Wood--now I have something to explore--?Where did it come from(Origion?)

"I Always 'Havs to Have Me Spinach, and Karreks"---Popeye--