IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

Garlicluvr January 23rd, 2012 07:19 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Welcome back Ax. Been looking at Flintlocks at Cabela's and Dixie Gun Works think I have settled on a finished Kentucky rifle in .45 cal or a kit for a Pennsylvania Flintlock also in .45. both beauties kinda leaning towards the kit as I need a good late winter project.

They also carry the Kentucky or a tennessee in .36, .50 and .54. The 36 is tempting since this is mostly a fun gun for plinking, target and some small game maybe. The .45 is probably the most versatile big enough for deer or hogs still ok for small game and just having fun shooting.

I have a question Ax. how difficult is it to do a browning job on the barrell and other metal parts at home? Do the do it yourself kits work well?

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff:)

Ajla January 23rd, 2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881327)
Aj, re Post 5054--did I pass the test?:)

Ran across these the other day---Hmmmm--- and added it to the Project List, right under the Clogs--:) Have everything to do them with.

Tornado hit here about 4A.M--skirted about a mile N--moving NNE--after it passed, opened the bedroom window, and the rain falling on the Tin Deck Roof took me back to when I was a kid at G'Parents house--"The Land of Nod--:D

Flying colours! Wim Wenders is special.
I like buttermilk cornbread! ;)
Und die Wanderschuhe????

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 881335)
Welcome back Ax. Been looking at Flintlocks at Cabela's and Dixie Gun Works think I have settled on a finished Kentucky rifle in .45 cal or a kit for a Pennsylvania Flintlock also in .45. both beauties kinda leaning towards the kit as I need a good late winter project.

They also carry the Kentucky or a tennessee in .36, .50 and .54. The 36 is tempting since this is mostly a fun gun for plinking, target and some small game maybe. The .45 is probably the most versatile big enough for deer or hogs still ok for small game and just having fun shooting.

I have a question Ax. how difficult is it to do a browning job on the barrell and other metal parts at home? Do the do it yourself kits work well?

Appreciate any advice.

My pleasure Jeff, will tell you my experiences---no problem--

Browning is nothing but 'Controlled Rust"---the commercial stuff is nothing but a hoot and waste of money and time.

Ax's Capsule:--

Look up Cigar Humidors--(Cabinet Type)-- only for operation humidity/temp specs.

Some of the best barrels came from controlled environment cabinets--coat bore with Beeswax--!

Kits--Italy--i.e.Lyman-Uberti-etc--Superb!.
Spain --Beware!, shoots but looks like mud and made to sell--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881421)
My pleasure Jeff, will tell you my experiences---no problem--

Browning is nothing but 'Controlled Rust"---the commercial stuff is nothing but a hoot and waste of money and time.

Ax's Capsule:--

Look up Cigar Humidors--(Cabinet Type)-- only for operation humidity/temp specs.

Some of the best barrels came from controlled environment cabinets--coat bore with Beeswax--!

Kits--Italy--i.e.Lyman-Uberti-etc--Superb!.
Spain --Beware!, shoots but looks like mud and made to sell--

My ultimate--the one carried by Hawkeye, (Last of the Mohicans)--maybe two-- one .25 caliber and one in the origional caliber--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 10:26 AM

"The soft leather of an Officers boots are uncomfortable, and impractical, as I light my last 'Gaulouis', (The Heat even in the morning is stifling!) the train leaves in one hour, I have but 10 Francs in my pocket,--more than the regruts already passed out on the train platform, 'with not a single 'Sou in their pocket (Oh, Youth).

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881435)
"The soft leather of an Officers boots are uncomfortable, and impractical, as I light my last 'Gaulouis', (The Heat even in the morning is stifling!) the train leaves in one hour, I have but 10 Francs in my pocket,--more than the regruts already passed out on the train platform, 'with not a single 'Sou in their pocket (Oh, Youth).

I have an hour, the walk to the train is only 5 minutes.Precious time to kill,; a breeze blows down the alley, I follow it,--on my left --a sign, Rat du Mort--drop in for Breakfast , a Chartreuisse.

Down the alley, a box, for a Dinar marked Tea--pay and tuck it under my arm--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881438)
I have an hour, the walk to the train is only 5 minutes.Precious time to kill,; a breeze blows down the alley, I follow it,--on my left --a sign, Rat du Mort--drop in for Breakfast , a Chartreuisse.

Down the alley, a box, for a Dinar marked Tea--pay and tuck it under my arm--

In youth, Mom had this (1953) , a Teapot, on her top shelf--to me it was Alladins Lamp--it went by with ages , but yesterday at an estate sale it reappeared--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881453)
In youth, Mom had this (1953) , a Teapot, on her top shelf--to me it was Aladdins Lamp--it went by with ages , but yesterday at an estate sale it reappeared--

Along with that--despite 'Missus' --"best move against' "--

A Windsor/Sadler Teapot--Rose Bud--signed in Blue Delft ink---hmmm--

'Missus got interested in--Teapots----

;):)--for good reason.

chickweed January 23rd, 2012 11:19 AM

Did you get storm damage, Ax?

w8in4dave January 23rd, 2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881459)
Along with that--despite 'Missus' --"best move against' "--

A Windsor/Sadler Teapot--Rose Bud--signed in Blue Delft ink---hmmm--

'Missus got interested in--Teapots----

;):)--for good reason.

:)

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 881465)
Did you get storm damage, Ax?

No I didn't Chick, and thanx for inquiry.

I always think back,--morter rounds-- one to the left--one to the right-- the next one on top--so far down on 269-- they have hit all around me from 40 -300 MPH--guess lodi or?? someone looks after me--"Missus woke up at 3 am,turned on T.V.--(I rely on my ears and eyes)--It was "Chicken Little " there for 20 minutes, we met on the basement stairs, I threw an arm over her, lightltly, --all was well

Good to hear from you , tell Sir Ed --hello for me.

Garlicluvr January 23rd, 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881425)
My ultimate--the one carried by Hawkeye, (Last of the Mohicans)--maybe two-- one .25 caliber and one in the origional caliber--

I believe the ones in the movie were a Kentucky rifle or Pennsylvania very similiar with the latter usually being a bit longer. I like the looks of the Kentucky and Pennsylvania, Tennessee rifles arent bad either.

The Pennsylvania kit I have my eye on is made in Italy by Pendersoli. Finished one has browned barrel and I think I like the browned look on a muzzle loader, Looked at a Damascus barrelled 12 gauge double years ago that had the browned barrels a beauty especially in the Damascus.

I dont mind the Hawkens either and if I wanted a gun just for hunting would go with a Hawken or the shorter carbine length rifles.

I do like the long barrels and dropped stock on the Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Tennesee rifles and if you can find one with a curly maple stock all the better.

Thanks for the info on browning I know some of the home blueing kits are not so good. Best is a full submersion dip tank.

Garlicluvr January 23rd, 2012 12:07 PM

Ax: here is the link for the one I am eyeing.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...roducts_id=901

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave,

Back home as a kid, the "Lamp" was used every week--Mom measured Tea (Red Diamond was the only thing) out in the inner strainer, either poured hot water on top, or boiling in the bottom, put lid on and let it steep---It's a Halls origional-- got it yesterday hasn't been cleaned yet--

Most one finds has the right side almost rubbed off--Alladins Lamp?--;)

I know that they are a prize--Mom's never failed--maybe it's downstairs? or gone in time after I left home--

P.S. It makes very good tea.

Mook January 23rd, 2012 03:02 PM

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/008-13.jpg

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 881657)

Heavy Duty, Mook!!---got to go back to Dixie.

How be 'E?--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 881401)
Flying colours! Wim Wenders is special.
I like buttermilk cornbread! ;)
Und die Wanderschuhe????

Buttermilk cornbread--so fine--:)

Yes , Wim ist---

Ich hatte, am Spatzieren,gehen:)--also', Totter werde- ,krank, aber ausgeseichnet, chiurguerie'--sp --?--:)

Tornado this morning Aj, Red Sky last night--up at 4 AM.--ok here , much damage elsewhere.

And I have for you tomorrow, a recipe--

Ajla January 24th, 2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881737)
Buttermilk cornbread--so fine--:)

Yes , Wim ist---

Ich hatte, am Spatzieren,gehen:)--also', Totter werde- ,krank, aber ausgeseichnet, chiurguerie'--sp --?--:)

Tornado this morning Aj, Red Sky last night--up at 4 AM.--ok here , much damage elsewhere.

And I have for you tomorrow, a recipe--

Recipe??? Lentil soup tonight!
Weird weather! Glad you're OK!

axhandle January 24th, 2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 881882)

Erwtensoep met Worst en Kluif.

I am going to make this!--on my to do list!

As to the salad, it calls for Roumanian Green Pepper Salad, found in the same recipe book--yum sounding-:)

Am stumped, recipe calls for Gelderland Sausage?--which I gather is smoked pork sausage?-- none here, I can search and surmise, but , I want the true essence--!

axhandle January 24th, 2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 881882)

Ah, Ha Lentil Soup--can I fly over for Supper?!--:)

axhandle January 24th, 2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 881523)
Ax: here is the link for the one I am eyeing.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...roducts_id=901

Looked in to Pendersoli--you will be in good hands--perused the specs,--and a good one for you to put together, already browned, case hardening, etc.--I like the double set triggers--another story--Buy It!--

With 60 gr powder, .45cal, (Use pure silk patches) and barrel length of 54" should be able to Bark a Squirrel, or change a Grizzly's mind- -En Charge'--in a hearbeat.

Flintlock is fine , (French "Honey" ones are best)--- I like percusssion--but Jeff knows what hw wants, and will be carrying it--;):)---More later,--you got my black powder mind gears turning again--

axhandle January 24th, 2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 881657)

Mook,

If I could trade you a feather for that Nine Shot, top break--we'd both be tickled to death--:D

Garlicluvr January 24th, 2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881907)
Looked in to Pendersoli--you will be in good hands--perused the specs,--and a good one for you to put together, already browned, case hardening, etc.--I like the double set triggers--another story--Buy It!--

With 60 gr powder, .45cal, (Use pure silk patches) and barrel length of 54" should be able to Bark a Squirrel, or change a Grizzly's mind- -En Charge'--in a hearbeat.

Flintlock is fine , (French "Honey" ones are best)--- I like percusssion--but Jeff knows what hw wants, and will be carrying it--;):)---More later,--you got my black powder mind gears turning again--

I think I am going to do it. Some uncertainty when I called them as to whether the barrel is browned or not if it isn't I will do it myself, Plenty humid in Maryland so there should be no problem getting some oxidation going. Those Pennsylvania barrels are long 41 1/2" on this one.

And I do want flint this time as I have never owned or tried a flintlock. I have owned a percussion and like it too so there may be another percussion in my future too. If I don't like the flint I may just convert it to a percussion I know some makers like Lyman offer a kit with the percussion lock and nipple etc to do it.

I want the flint because I like to fiddle and experiment and try things that I haven't tried yet. I think the figuring it all out and mastering the process is half of the fun. Will also allow me to hunt primitive seasons in states like Pennsylvania that require flintlock.

Just have to hunt down a local source of black powder as most won't ship 1 pound quantities. Found a couple that will ship but you have to buy 25lbs for one place can mix and match grains. Another will let you order 5 lb quantities but you can't mix and match so I would have to buy 5 lbs each of FFFF priming powder and FFF or FF for main charge.

I think a 44 cap and ball revolver is in my future too and maybe a .32 cal or even .25 squirrel rifle.

axhandle January 24th, 2012 09:40 AM

Jeff,

If you are still "Undecided", I'll "Push the Envelope', with a donation of a 100 dollar bill, to the cause--:)

Get it--, and tell them to throw in some French "Honey " Flints, press for the best Round Ball mold, steel, they have as part of the deal, 'bout guarantee Dixie will oblige--;)--Good Folks there.

BTW--Got some Pillow Ticking patch material downstairs, it's Blue Stuff--just for the asking,--as usual Ax's --No Charge Guarantee--

Get It Jeff--

Garlicluvr January 24th, 2012 09:55 AM

Well Ax: I just submitted the order along with some flints some French Amber, some English, and some new Arkansas ones they had that had really good reviews. Will try them and see what I like.

Didn't order everything yet I do plan on eventually buying a round ball mold and other accessories, possibles bag, powder measures, vent pick, short ball starting rod lubes and cleaning supplies etc. Probably a heavy duty metal or fiberglass ramrod too. I will either pick up some round balls for now locally or order a couple of boxes to get started. It will be a bit before she is ready to fire as I have some finishing and final fitting to do.

Saw that many say the Italian Frizzens are a bit soft and recommend case hardening them so may have to do that.

I may take you up on that pillow ticking.

axhandle January 24th, 2012 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My next post would have been--thus--just to nudge you--;):D

"I have had , My 'Hawk" in my right hand, my straight blade knifee in my left--( Fingers yet --"Undecided")-- My Rifle is slung about my back, secured by my Belt of Days!"--

Good decision Jeff, you must keep me posted as to the progression--

axhandle January 24th, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 881971)
Well Ax: I just submitted the order along with some flints some French Amber, some English, and some new Arkansas ones they had that had really good reviews. Will try them and see what I like.

Didn't order everything yet I do plan on eventually buying a round ball mold and other accessories, possibles bag, powder measures, vent pick, short ball starting rod lubes and cleaning supplies etc. Probably a heavy duty metal or fiberglass ramrod too. I will either pick up some round balls for now locally or order a couple of boxes to get started. It will be a bit before she is ready to fire as I have some finishing and final fitting to do.

Saw that many say the Italian Frizzens are a bit soft and recommend case hardening them so may have to do that.

I may take you up on that pillow ticking.

Might have a few more things Lying About--gratis--do have a pair of English Made 'Locks 'An Plates from a double pistol --somewhere downstairs--

Re: Case hardening-- brush , only,!-- pieces do not grind or polish-sprinkle with carbon and ground dog bone (not a Tryst)--- wrap in leather, --with copper wire, put in tin can, ,crumple, and throw in fireplace--two days forth (No Less), extract can--

axhandle January 24th, 2012 11:02 AM

Mooks,

Indebted to you on sending me the post--"Foxhole/Razor Blade Radio-- have all components together, out of my scrap '30's - '50s Radios--good stuff- but my wire gauge--

Want one?--maybe by next Christmas,, maybe by 2020--;):)--"My sight, grows Dim, my Hands --oh well, thanks to Mook---and his appeciation --am off to finding my schematics for a "One Tube Radio"--Gads--

Thanx , Mook--

Maybe one day we will go On Safari, as we said back in my youth, You banging out that lever action,Jeff with a cancerted flintlock, and us faceing an Andeluson Spanish Fighting Bull--

Gads--"Life is Gravy"--

Garlicluvr January 24th, 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882009)
Might have a few more things Lying About--gratis--do have a pair of English Made 'Locks 'An Plates from a double pistol --somewhere downstairs--

Re: Case hardening-- brush , only,!-- pieces do not grind or polish-sprinkle with carbon and ground dog bone (not a Tryst)--- wrap in leather, --with copper wire, put in tin can, ,crumple, and throw in fireplace--two days forth (No Less), extract can--

Will keep you posted Ax. I do have access to machine shop at work and some nice buffing wheels for polishing the brass pieces, etc. I do plan to lacquer them after polishing.

As for case hardening I can use the wood stove, Dixie sells kastenite a pre-made case hardening powder pretty cheap about $6. or I can find the carbon/powdered charcoal and bone.

Should be fun.

P.S. looked up the Last of Mohicans gun it was a Pennsylvania Long rifle not sure on caliber but .45 and .50 were popular in the east where deer were the largest game, with the bigger .54 and .58 popular out west with mountain men who were more likely to encounter a grizzly or even moose or elk.

I always liked Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett as a kid and the mountain man movies/shows such as Jeremiah Johnson and Grizzly Adams.

Garlicluvr January 24th, 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882024)
Mooks,

Indebted to you on sending me the post--"Foxhole/Razor Blade Radio-- have all components together, out of my scrap '30's - '50s Radios--good stuff- but my wire gauge--

Want one?--maybe by next Christmas,, maybe by 2020--;):)--"My sight, grows Dim, my Hands --oh well, thanks to Mook---and his appeciation --am off to finding my schematics for a "One Tube Radio"--Gads--

Thanx , Mook--

Maybe one day we will go On Safari, as we said back in my youth, You banging out that lever action,Jeff with a cancerted flintlock, and us faceing an Andeluson Spanish Fighting Bull--

Gads--"Life is Gravy"--

Ax: I might have to bring the Hill or Ole Ben longbow along also and maybe the Mauser too.

axhandle January 24th, 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 882038)
Ax: I might have to bring the Hill or Ole Ben longbow along also and maybe the Mauser too.

"Would be , No Other, Party, Well ,Made":)

"In the "Deepest of Forests--,Lost,-- There is always a 'Way Out' "---;):)--

axhandle January 24th, 2012 12:59 PM

Doug Bader--DSO with Bar, PFC with Bar.

I dont know of anyone in that era, that had tin legs, who did -So Much, For so Little"

Sir Doug as done later-- he got his legs broken, early on, amputated later, fitted with Tin Legs" came back, and shot down so many 109's --"Over the Channel"--

axhandle January 24th, 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882084)
Doug Bader--DSO with Bar, PFC with Bar.

I dont know of anyone in that era, that had tin legs, who did -So Much, For so Little"

Sir Doug as done later-- he got his legs broken, early on, amputated later, fitted with Tin Legs" came back, and shot down so many 109's --"Over the Channel"--

Attached--his only fear was drowning, so imbedded , he insisted on having "Yank, Ping Pong Balls stuffed into his Tin legs, in case he got shot down --"Over the Channel"

axhandle January 24th, 2012 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882087)
Attached--his only fear was drowning, so imbedded , he insisted on having "Yank, Ping Pong Balls stuffed into his Tin legs, in case he got shot down --"Over the Channel"

Attached--

axhandle January 25th, 2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 882036)
Will keep you posted Ax. I do have access to machine shop at work and some nice buffing wheels for polishing the brass pieces, etc. I do plan to lacquer them after polishing.

As for case hardening I can use the wood stove, Dixie sells kastenite a pre-made case hardening powder pretty cheap about $6. or I can find the carbon/powdered charcoal and bone.

Should be fun.

P.S. looked up the Last of Mohicans gun it was a Pennsylvania Long rifle not sure on caliber but .45 and .50 were popular in the east where deer were the largest game, with the bigger .54 and .58 popular out west with mountain men who were more likely to encounter a grizzly or even moose or elk.

I always liked Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett as a kid and the mountain man movies/shows such as Jeremiah Johnson and Grizzly Adams.

Gads, Deja Vu--fun ,fun--access to a machine shop!---Outstanding! (SIL is a machinist, and outstanding one at that--already have three projects for him at present.

Polishing equipment, a must have --if you decide to buy--get Baldor--spent many hours back during my Blueing days, "over the wheel"--- find Brownells site, and the Final Polishing compound they sell (Name escapes me at the moment) it is superb.

axhandle January 25th, 2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882363)
Gads, Deja Vu--fun ,fun--access to a machine shop!---Outstanding! (SIL is a machinist, and outstanding one at that--already have three projects for him at present.

Polishing equipment, a must have --if you decide to buy--get Baldor--spent many hours back during my Blueing days, "over the wheel"--- find Brownells site, and the Final Polishing compound they sell (Name escapes me at the moment) it is superb.

Re: Last of the Mohicans--I would give, a "fine Double Eagle" for that one--it just fits my fancy--serious.

Acquaitance of mine--(Knife Makers Guild)-- knew the fellow that made almost all the Hawks, and Knives for the movie folks-Wonder where all that stuff is right now?--I best not think too hard on it--;):)

axhandle January 25th, 2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881909)
Mook,

If I could trade you a feather for that Nine Shot, top break--we'd both be tickled to death--:D

Bump--:)

Garlicluvr January 25th, 2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882363)

Ax: The Baldors are top notch. I also have a good old Van Norman Milling machine, the South Bend toolroom lathe, assortment of grinders and sanders from a nice floor mounted 10" Pedestal grinder to belt disk sander and even a Norton Precision tool room /small surface grinder with fine diamond wheel. Do All Bandsaw and metal cutoff saw.

I do have a nice selection of polishing compounds too tripoli, jewelers rogue, emery and some others in various grades.

Also have a nice selection of welding equipment, oxy-acetylene, Mig, Tig and a plasma cutter.

And 50 or more years worth of accumulated stock, scrap and hand tools. It is nice to have all of the right tools to do a job. I have complete standard and metric tap and die sets and even a pipe tap and die set. Not too much that I couldnt handle if needed. We do send the more complex stuff to the base machine shop which is state of the art as they can crank it out a lot faster.

I am excited to get the kit and will keep you posted on progress. Ordered some more accessories from Track of the Wolf another big Black powder site. They have some real pretty stuff on there and some antique fowling pieces and naval deck guns that are just neat. Some even at a reasonable price.

Garlicluvr January 25th, 2012 07:46 AM

Ax: On one of the blackpowder sites Dixie I think they carried a German Agate flint got good reviews so might have to try a couple too. Ever heard of them?

Ajla January 25th, 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881901)
Ah, Ha Lentil Soup--can I fly over for Supper?!--:)

I'm afraid they won't let you back on the plane!
This soup you eat with toasted bread, on which you've rubbed a clove of garlic :D , and which you've then sprinkled with olive oil!

I live in the province of Gelderland, the nearest thing to the sausage is maybe a Frankfurter? Do you have other types like that?

axhandle January 25th, 2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 882390)
I'm afraid they won't let you back on the plane!
This soup you eat with toasted bread, on which you've rubbed a clove of garlic :D , and which you've then sprinkled with olive oil!

I live in the province of Gelderland, the nearest thing to the sausage is maybe a Frankfurter? Do you have other types like that?

Best here, for the moment-- --Hebrew National, followed by Nathans (NJ-'Missus doesn't like them)-- the both of which, does not compare to what me and G'Ma made back in the '50's , but Oh Well--;)--still have the grinder and the sausage press--

axhandle January 25th, 2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 882380)
Ax: On one of the blackpowder sites Dixie I think they carried a German Agate flint got good reviews so might have to try a couple too. Ever heard of them?

German Agate--no I havent :)--but I have, Agate,-- probably the hardest stone I have yet to grind--Gads, It's Tough-- and makes good sparks--

axhandle January 26th, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 882376)
Ax: The Baldors are top notch. I also have a good old Van Norman Milling machine, the South Bend toolroom lathe, assortment of grinders and sanders from a nice floor mounted 10" Pedestal grinder to belt disk sander and even a Norton Precision tool room /small surface grinder with fine diamond wheel. Do All Bandsaw and metal cutoff saw.

I do have a nice selection of polishing compounds too tripoli, jewelers rogue, emery and some others in various grades.

Also have a nice selection of welding equipment, oxy-acetylene, Mig, Tig and a plasma cutter.

And 50 or more years worth of accumulated stock, scrap and hand tools. It is nice to have all of the right tools to do a job. I have complete standard and metric tap and die sets and even a pipe tap and die set. Not too much that I couldnt handle if needed. We do send the more complex stuff to the base machine shop which is state of the art as they can crank it out a lot faster.

I am excited to get the kit and will keep you posted on progress. Ordered some more accessories from Track of the Wolf another big Black powder site. They have some real pretty stuff on there and some antique fowling pieces and naval deck guns that are just neat. Some even at a reasonable price.

Jeff,

Go to Brownells site, the polishing compouds they have is called Polish -O-Ray--- they do not have petroleum in their formulations, which is the bane of a gun finisher.

For a mirror finish--#555--this stuff is amazing.

Their bluing salts are superb, ends up deep blue- black and rust resistance--unreal-- even with black powder.

One of the easiest and durable finishes for some applications is Parkerizing, according to the compund , you can get from grey to the old WWII mild green color.Fellow had me do his Browning shotgun in it, I at first said why do that to a Browning?--"Cause I want it Parkerized"--O.K. say's I, your piece.:D

axhandle January 26th, 2012 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Every one reflects--

My Best Friend , Johnny, passed on about 8 yrs now.Graduation pic, from the '60's San Diego.He was 18 yrs old, (he was Navy, I was Army) descendents were some of the first who were dumped out in S. Ga., Irish and English prisoners, the only one's who stood a chance of survival , in the New World.

Garlicluvr January 26th, 2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 882890)
Every one reflects--

My Best Friend , Johnny, passed on about 8 yrs now.Graduation pic, from the '60's San Diego.He was 18 yrs old, (he was Navy, I was Army) descendents were some of the first who were dumped out in S. Ga., Irish and English prisoners, the only one's who stood a chance of survival , in the New World.

Ax: Johnny and I graduated from the same bootcamp San Diego and I have a similiar pic about the same age 18 or 19.

Australia was origionally an English penal colony too. They survived pretty well.

My Grandfathers side was Irish, poor, tough and hard working. He was a good man despite being quite the rabelrouser in his younger days. Drank and fought pretty hard for a time. Wised up and settled down eventually. Think he got a scare when his best buddies wife divorced him (unusual at that time, she finally had too much of his drinking and abuse) and decided he better shape up.

I will look up Brownells site for the metal finishing and polishing stuff. You said salts for blueing not the liduid stuff?

axhandle January 26th, 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 882904)
Ax: Johnny and I graduated from the same bootcamp San Diego and I have a similiar pic about the same age 18 or 19.

Australia was origionally an English penal colony too. They survived pretty well.

My Grandfathers side was Irish, poor, tough and hard working. He was a good man despite being quite the rabelrouser in his younger days. Drank and fought pretty hard for a time. Wised up and settled down eventually. Think he got a scare when his best buddies wife divorced him (unusual at that time, she finally had too much of his drinking and abuse) and decided he better shape up.

I will look up Brownells site for the metal finishing and polishing stuff. You said salts for blueing not the liduid stuff?

My post of some two hours ago , did not "Post"--spent valued time typing, I dig does not , yet have their "Kit"/ pirorities togeher yet.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Real bluing (Hot Blue) is a saturated solution of basically sodium hydroxide, controlled temp--it's wicked stuff but well worth doing, I have used the liquid Cold Blue for touch up only , trying to do a whole firearm with it mine always was mottled.

Couple of tips --
1. Clean, clean clean.
2.Any steel wool you use ,first burn it off with denatured alcohol, it's oil treated.
3.Heat the piece gently right before putting on cold blue, this opens up the metal pours.
4.Don't use rayon --etc cotton balls, use cotton, and old clean T -shirts are indespensible.
5. After the desired color, clean with denatured alc agai, let dry heat gently again and apply good gun oil.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Johnny was an outstanding person, he had little fear of anything and immune to pain.

Told me once back in Ga. "he went fishing, but left the door ajar on the truck.
On the way back, he kept feeling something wiggling around in the floor board, a two foot moccasin.

"What did you do Johnny?, picked him up and drove home, made a nice hatband"

Cut the inside of his palm right by the thumb once, bout a 2 inch cut--he went inside got a needle and sewing thread stiched it up and went back to what he was doing.:)

When we in Ca. for a visit, the bus approached the bridge going over to Coronado, a transport plane was flying up the channel, stringing out Navy Seals--they were doing LALO, in the ocean.

BIL also graduated from "Dago":)

axhandle January 27th, 2012 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My "Hawk"-- according to where I am headed , I throw it in the back--in plain view--

The handle is left the way it is, for a purpose, the more its used the tighter the Hawk head becomes,and plenty of future leeway--also a tap or so will break it down for packing no wedges, no glue etc, put it back on and hit a stump--it's back in action--

Garlicluvr January 27th, 2012 08:24 AM

Nice Hawk Ax and I am famaliar with that handle style same as that used on Froes I have a couple one store bought one I made out of a leaf spring on the forge.

Also used on pick axes, mattocks etc.

Sounds like Johnny was a good one and tough. So was my grandfather got his hand caught in a grain auger wrapped it up and wanted to keep working co-workers convinced him to let them drive him to the hospital.

My project gun was in Laurel MD. last night so may get delivered today. All I have left to find is the powder and some finishing supplies.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 883389)
Nice Hawk Ax and I am famaliar with that handle style same as that used on Froes I have a couple one store bought one I made out of a leaf spring on the forge.

Also used on pick axes, mattocks etc.

Sounds like Johnny was a good one and tough. So was my grandfather got his hand caught in a grain auger wrapped it up and wanted to keep working co-workers convinced him to let them drive him to the hospital.

My project gun was in Laurel MD. last night so may get delivered today. All I have left to find is the powder and some finishing supplies.

Nothing beats a leaf spring off a truck, my relic digger, Brother made for me out of an International Harvester---leaf spring--all others dulled, or broke--

Already in Laurel, I'm excited!--

What kind of finishing supplies?--

Garlicluvr January 27th, 2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 883391)
Nothing beats a leaf spring off a truck, my relic digger, Brother made for me out of an International Harvester---leaf spring--all others dulled, or broke--

Already in Laurel, I'm excited!--

What kind of finishing supplies?--

Not sure yet if barrel is already browned maybe just some kastenite or case hardening supplies, if not bluing or browning agents. May also need a little for some other metal parts.

Also deciding what to finish the wood with I like tung oil myself either alone or with a coat of finishing wax. I also really, really like a shellac and wax finish for furniture. I have used it on a couple of pieces and it is now my favorite. A couple three thin coats of shellac slightly yellow or amber and then a thin coat or two of finishing wax very light then buffed to a nice deep shine. Pretty, has good depth and shows off the wood grain. I have never been much on stains or dark varnishes they hide the natural grain and beauty of the wood.

Being that I am partial to cherry, white oak, walnut and curly maple I dont want to cover up the natural color or figure. Sometimes the maple benefits from a touch of dye or stain but very light.

Jeff :)

axhandle January 27th, 2012 08:51 AM

Looked up BP-- sticker shock, some years back, (Many:D) DuPont was the only U.S. maker sold out in later years ??-Goex?--at the time $2.25 the one pound can-- don't waste money or time on Pyrodex--

the 41.5 inch barrel with 50 grs FFFG--should burn nicely.:)

axhandle January 27th, 2012 08:59 AM

Moons Ago--General Wilsons (CW) winter camp in NW Alabama--some 30,000 troops , Calvary, semi permanent base camp/headquarters for about 4 months, prior to the Alabama Campaign in the Spring.

Being refitted via the Tennessee River,amongst all, the new .52 Spencer, the obsolete arms, and other Equippage" were loaded up on cargo ships down at the landing, to be shipped back north.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 09:09 AM

Submitting in a hurry--Idig times me out-- too often!

Found many, many gunparts, everywhere, some yet to be identified, pawls, internals, even flintlock mechanisms--.52 Spencer , spent cartridges, and intact rounds --so many the weight would pull one's britches off:)

Johnny and I plotted a course one Friday, a hollow some two miles from base camp, jackpot!-- firing range, hulls out the gazoo, parts where the Armorers were taking the newly manufactured carbines, de -bugging and fine tuning--Gads it was dark by the time we walked out of there, so remote in the Forest--, much is still left.

Garlicluvr January 27th, 2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 883401)
Looked up BP-- sticker shock, some years back, (Many:D) DuPont was the only U.S. maker sold out in later years ??-Goex?--at the time $2.25 the one pound can-- don't waste money or time on Pyrodex--

the 41.5 inch barrel with 50 grs FFFG--should burn nicely.:)

BP goes from anywhere from $14 to $25 a pound now. Have to see if local stores stock it or just have BIL in PA pick up some. I did find one place that ships minimum 5lb order but you can mix and match granulations I need some 4F for priming and 3F for the main load looks like some use 2F in .45 cals most use 3F. If I have to mail order will get one or two pounds of 4F and the rest 3F dont need much priming powder.

That CW relic hunting sounds like fun I am close to some sites POW camp at Point Lookout is closest. Antietam/Sharpsburg, South Mountain, Monacacy, Boonsboro and Williamsport are all up around Frederick MD. pass on my way to PA. Even Gettysburg is not too much of a drive.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 883398)
Not sure yet if barrel is already browned maybe just some kastenite or case hardening supplies, if not bluing or browning agents. May also need a little for some other metal parts.

Also deciding what to finish the wood with I like tung oil myself either alone or with a coat of finishing wax. I also really, really like a shellac and wax finish for furniture. I have used it on a couple of pieces and it is now my favorite. A couple three thin coats of shellac slightly yellow or amber and then a thin coat or two of finishing wax very light then buffed to a nice deep shine. Pretty, has good depth and shows off the wood grain. I have never been much on stains or dark varnishes they hide the natural grain and beauty of the wood.

Being that I am partial to cherry, white oak, walnut and curly maple I dont want to cover up the natural color or figure. Sometimes the maple benefits from a touch of dye or stain but very light.

Jeff :)

After reading it, the barrel is already browned--good foresight-double set triggers Oh Boy--love 'em.

Stocks--left natural, regardless of wood,:

Tung Oil is my favorite Behr makes Danish Tung oil finish--superb stuff--but made for furniture.

Linseed oil , never cures, always sticky/ and or gummy, --good for tool handles, for the garden.

Shellac, and water don't mix--drop of water milky stain, it goes away--but.

My staple--Tru-Oil --Birchwood Casey made it for yes, specifically for gunstocks--

axhandle January 27th, 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 883429)
After reading it, the barrel is already browned--good foresight-double set triggers Oh Boy--love 'em.

Stocks--left natural, regardless of wood,:

Tung Oil is my favorite Behr makes Danish Tung oil finish--superb stuff--but made for furniture.

Linseed oil , never cures, always sticky/ and or gummy, --good for tool handles, for the garden.

Shellac, and water don't mix--drop of water milky stain, it goes away--but.

My staple--Tru-Oil --Birchwood Casey made it for yes, specifically for gunstocks--

Tru-Oil--the formulation appears to be the optimal formulae for gunstocks, all I have done becomes a superb finish, and weather proof.

You have to work with it, bare fingertips, palm of the hand,several coats rubbed down in between with 0000 steel wool, set it aside for a time oil it--and use it.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 883428)
BP goes from anywhere from $14 to $25 a pound now. Have to see if local stores stock it or just have BIL in PA pick up some. I did find one place that ships minimum 5lb order but you can mix and match granulations I need some 4F for priming and 3F for the main load looks like some use 2F in .45 cals most use 3F. If I have to mail order will get one or two pounds of 4F and the rest 3F dont need much priming powder.

That CW relic hunting sounds like fun I am close to some sites POW camp at Point Lookout is closest. Antietam/Sharpsburg, South Mountain, Monacacy, Boonsboro and Williamsport are all up around Frederick MD. pass on my way to PA. Even Gettysburg is not too much of a drive.

"Finest that can be had for the Frizzen"-4F-most of the fellows got a Mortar and Pestle, and slowly ground down the 4f.

5# BP--maximum Federal allowance--what a hoot:)

One # 4F--the rest as I see it, your barrel length,--3FG--

For a starter --40 gr 4F, 50 3F--Very strong hammer spring, good flints, silk patches -- I see no difficulty in your hands, "Barking a Squirrel" at 30 yards--no problem--More later--Ax.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aj, I know you have seen these--on the back of boats there--The Seagull-- Ihave 3 and parts of 3 more, 2HP-6Hp long and short shafts-- they are amazing!.

Garlicluvr January 27th, 2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 883437)
"Finest that can be had for the Frizzen"-4F-most of the fellows got a Mortar and Pestle, and slowly ground down the 4f.

5# BP--maximum Federal allowance--what a hoot:)

One # 4F--the rest as I see it, your barrel length,--3FG--

For a starter --40 gr 4F, 50 3F--Very strong hammer spring, good flints, silk patches -- I see no difficulty in your hands, "Barking a Squirrel" at 30 yards--no problem--More later--Ax.

Ax: The 5lb was a minimum order they only ship full cases. The other place I found it would only ship in 25lb lots minimum. Maximum amount the Feds let an individual order is 50 lbs at a time. I think even 25lbs would last me years maybe a lifetime unless i start shooting every week.

Thanks for the pointers I am familiar with Tru-oil already had some tung oil just didnt know how it would hold up to handling. Tru-oil it is.

I wasnt sure on the browning as they used the same description for the kit as the finished rifle and thought it may be a typo or oversight as most kits had unfinished barrels.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

1# --4 F, the rest 2F-I shoot 50 gr 2f with an Enfield-Pritchet bullet--

The Pennsylvania will --, barrel length- burn about anything put in it--.45 Cal a strong lock, and the man behind it--;):)

axhandle January 27th, 2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 883439)
Ax: The 5lb was a minimum order they only ship full cases. The other place I found it would only ship in 25lb lots minimum. Maximum amount the Feds let an individual order is 50 lbs at a time. I think even 25lbs would last me years maybe a lifetime unless i start shooting every week.

Thanks for the pointers I am familiar with Tru-oil already had some tung oil just didnt know how it would hold up to handling. Tru-oil it is.

I wasnt sure on the browning as they used the same description for the kit as the finished rifle and thought it may be a typo or oversight as most kits had unfinished barrels.

Wow, times change, my allotement was 5#--get it--

As I read it, browned barrel--yep most El Cheapo kits send you some waterpipe--that is not your case--Good choice--Ax.

axhandle January 27th, 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Re: Relic Hunting--you are in the middle of a gold mine there--and I say that in terms of getting out and finding something--not $'s.

I am continually haunted by some areas, I have been in, one was leaning/ resting against an old oak, fall day , crisp, wool shirt- Lit 'Me 'Pipe stuffed with Velvet Pipe Tobacco, after I dozed off got up and Metal Detector went off, two Union buttons, right under my feet!--Priceless.

Garlicluvr January 28th, 2012 07:36 AM

Ax: Kit arrived last night. I do have quite a bit of finishing/polishing work to do both wood and metal.

The barrel is actually blued and has milling marks on octagonal flats. Some of the other kits said barrel blued for rust protection bot not finished, looks like this is exactly what I got. I may need to even do a bit of draw filing to barrel flats to remove milling marks before polishing. The muzzle is crowned on inside towards bore but outside edges are still very sharp so will have to ease/round them with a file or the belt sander. And I will then have to refinish the barrel, think I am still leaning towards browning as I like the look.

Stock is what I expected mostly inletted and shaped but needs sanding and some final shaping. I have actually been thinking of doing a bit of carving on the stock and fore-end.

Brass is all pretty rough cast and needs shaping with file then polishing again what I expected. Need to disassemble her and start working on the pieces.

Lock and trigger assembly are pretty good as is brass on trigger guard will need polishing but otherwise pretty good.

Patch-box may need some more hollowing carving and brass needs a bit of final shaping then polishing.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't have enough to do but there is still plenty of work left.

If this one goes well I may tackle one of the beautiful kits I found at Track of the Wolf website. They are definitely not a beginner level all pieces bare and rough nothing assembled or fitted to stock, just some rough inletting for barrel and locks etc.

skiracer January 28th, 2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 883456)
Re: Relic Hunting--you are in the middle of a gold mine there--and I say that in terms of getting out and finding something--not $'s.

I am continually haunted by some areas, I have been in, one was leaning/ resting against an old oak, fall day , crisp, wool shirt- Lit 'Me 'Pipe stuffed with Velvet Pipe Tobacco, after I dozed off got up and Metal Detector went off, two Union buttons, right under my feet!--Priceless.

ghosts!

Ajla January 28th, 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 883890)
ghosts!

Ghosts? Is that what you think it is? I thought it was men's talk! ;)

skiracer January 28th, 2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 883953)

ajla,
apparitions out of the past that came when Ax was asleep and laid those buttoms at his feet. what else could it be? ghosts from a past war visiting a soldier from another war.

axhandle January 28th, 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 883868)
Ax: Kit arrived last night. I do have quite a bit of finishing/polishing work to do both wood and metal.

The barrel is actually blued and has milling marks on octagonal flats. Some of the other kits said barrel blued for rust protection bot not finished, looks like this is exactly what I got. I may need to even do a bit of draw filing to barrel flats to remove milling marks before polishing. The muzzle is crowned on inside towards bore but outside edges are still very sharp so will have to ease/round them with a file or the belt sander. And I will then have to refinish the barrel, think I am still leaning towards browning as I like the look.

Stock is what I expected mostly inletted and shaped but needs sanding and some final shaping. I have actually been thinking of doing a bit of carving on the stock and fore-end.

Brass is all pretty rough cast and needs shaping with file then polishing again what I expected. Need to disassemble her and start working on the pieces.

Lock and trigger assembly are pretty good as is brass on trigger guard will need polishing but otherwise pretty good.

Patch-box may need some more hollowing carving and brass needs a bit of final shaping then polishing.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't have enough to do but there is still plenty of work left.

If this one goes well I may tackle one of the beautiful kits I found at Track of the Wolf website. They are definitely not a beginner level all pieces bare and rough nothing assembled or fitted to stock, just some rough inletting for barrel and locks etc.

Jeff, appears you got just what you wanted--:)
Some inletting, grind and polish fittings--yep I enoyed it.

axhandle January 28th, 2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 883953)

It was a bit spooky on that little ridge--but I knew I was in good hands.:)

axhandle January 28th, 2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 883981)
ajla,
apparitions out of the past that came when Ax was asleep and laid those buttoms at his feet. what else could it be? ghosts from a past war visiting a soldier from another war.

Ski, and more credulance to the possibility/fact--they were both Infantry Coat Buttons--

w8in4dave January 30th, 2012 08:13 AM

Mornin :) Wow this place (not Ax's corner) has been so slow........ Or is it just me?

Ajla January 30th, 2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 884786)
Mornin :) Wow this place (not Ax's corner) has been so slow........ Or is it just me?

Is that why I haven't seen you in a while?
Are you going button picking too? :)

Garlicluvr February 1st, 2012 07:04 AM

Hey Ax how have you been? Got all of my brass parts filed, sanded and through first polishing stage and they are looking good. Just need to do a final buffing/polishing on all then laquer them. With tackle getting the machining marks polished out of the barrel next and then sanding on the stock.

Need to order the truoil. Also trying to find some thin lead strip for holding flints, heard it works better than leather. Shouldnt be too hard to find could even hammer out flatten some lead wire.

Ajla February 2nd, 2012 08:49 AM

Quick Ax, we've had a frost!

http://youtu.be/hyM2igrN-LM

axhandle February 2nd, 2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 885693)
Hey Ax how have you been? Got all of my brass parts filed, sanded and through first polishing stage and they are looking good. Just need to do a final buffing/polishing on all then laquer them. With tackle getting the machining marks polished out of the barrel next and then sanding on the stock.

Need to order the truoil. Also trying to find some thin lead strip for holding flints, heard it works better than leather. Shouldnt be too hard to find could even hammer out flatten some lead wire.

Thanks for inquiry , Jeff, been a touch and go with me chronically for several months, culminating in an ER visit,last Friday, and follow up procedure yesterday.

They put me in the Land of Nod-( Anesthesia ) twice.

Reports/ results today--nothing non-treatable-- guess I'll 'Be 'About for a while longer yet--:)

You are moving along rapidly on the kit, my bane was the brass parts, gums and sticks up everything put to it, when I did some blueing definately had to keep two sets of grits, polish, wheels etc--brass will ruin a blueing job, pronto.

Going to lookup Casenit--interesting, and felt well enough to scavenge about for you a bit down in the workroom--found some stuff I had even forgotten about!.

Christmas around here every time I start lookig!--Later--Ax.

axhandle February 2nd, 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 886126)
Quick Ax, we've had a frost!

http://youtu.be/hyM2igrN-LM

Aj,

Saw this and the mind gears started turning!--Gads what a treat--my kind of an Adventure.I have my woolens, silk scarf, and goggles packed--:), and already visualizing a tandem two seat racer, Brueenzyl Marine plywood, enclosed cockpit--oh well another day I can't seem to get a simple pair of Clogs done--;):D---but that's ok, as long as the Cobwebs and Rust stay out of my mind gears--I'm good--;):)

Dave would benefit from the vid also, she lives in the Frozen North (Michigan)

axhandle February 3rd, 2012 11:35 AM

Rather weak still,mind turning, as usual, took the opportunity to do something --discovered that a simple rearrangement of one's own clutter does wonders--moved and prioritized bikes for the Spring/Summer re-furb, some photos and about 4 books will do me for another two weeks or so--

axhandle February 3rd, 2012 11:47 AM

Rather weak still,mind turning, as usual, had to "do something"--later I guess.

Ajla February 3rd, 2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 886304)
Aj,

Saw this and the mind gears started turning!--Gads what a treat--my kind of an Adventure.I have my woolens, silk scarf, and goggles packed--:), and already visualizing a tandem two seat racer, Brueenzyl Marine plywood, enclosed cockpit--oh well another day I can't seem to get a simple pair of Clogs done--;):D---but that's ok, as long as the Cobwebs and Rust stay out of my mind gears--I'm good--;):)

Dave would benefit from the vid also, she lives in the Frozen North (Michigan)

Sorry to hear you haven't been well, but this design is really simple! Did you notice they stuck a pair of old skates underneath as gliders? Much easier to make than carving clogs!

axhandle February 3rd, 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 886751)
Sorry to hear you haven't been well, but this design is really simple! Did you notice they stuck a pair of old skates underneath as gliders? Much easier to make than carving clogs!

Yes I did--a week or so ago ran across some Batavus skates, attached--the gliders--and the design--simple anyone can do it!--

What struck me the most, the fun, navigate the frozen channels, up to the reservoir, have fun, test out the craft, go back by another channel to visit-return home to an ember fire ---und (undt)--Frisches Brot undt Heisse Suppa--;):)

Oh Yes,--"Vas Mehre?"--;):)

axhandle February 3rd, 2012 12:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 886742)
Rather weak still,mind turning, as usual, had to "do something"--later I guess.

Better late than never--:)--I quit counting at ten--came upstairs and started Louisiana Chicken Gumbo--Almost done--Thence--Off to the Land of Nod--for a spell--;):)

Rudge--superb.
Raleigh-superb.
Puch--Lighweight by Daimler.
Schwinn------The best!---

Sleep Tight, All---

Ajla February 5th, 2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 886766)
Better late than never--:)--I quit counting at ten--came upstairs and started Louisiana Chicken Gumbo--Almost done--Thence--Off to the Land of Nod--for a spell--;):)

Rudge--superb.
Raleigh-superb.
Puch--Lighweight by Daimler.
Schwinn------The best!---

Sleep Tight, All---

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...ogemel_wm1.jpg

That's what we need now! :)

axhandle February 6th, 2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 887403)

They are absolutely--FUN!--

It doesn't snow very often in Zone 7, but when it did, the whole neighborhood (As Youth) was up before dawn and went till night, if lucky the prime lasted two days, at most-.

Crashing down hills on Coca Cola signs,a piece of tin, even a few rocking chairs--

Three of us built something similar, with the help of some adults, never forget it--forecast was snow, we started two days before.

One Summer in boredom we came upon the idea, build a Pine Pole Slide down the hollow, somewhat akin to a railroad track, when greased --and in place, it was like Two Man Bobsled in 100 degree heat--

axhandle February 6th, 2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 884786)

No, Dave not just you--noticed same, maybe the Spring will bring some sprouts-:D

Meanwhile,---"Back at the Ranch"--"Missus got very interested in the two Teapots I brought in, quiet a Twinkle, and began to wonder which one Miss Poo might like, (Passed down)--

"Probably the English,( Windsor, Sadler) "Budding Rose" one , said I,---we'll see--;):)

Ajla February 7th, 2012 07:35 AM

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1554.jpg

Where am I?

axhandle February 7th, 2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 888282)

Sie sindt, da--:)

Beautiful pic, Aj--an ice cave; reminds me of an old mine I once explored--there is something about pure call of nature that is the best medicine for contentment in life.

Got your snow cycle built yet?;):)

axhandle February 7th, 2012 09:22 AM

Jeff,
Re: Inletting--

If you don't have any Prussian Blue --mix up some cold cream with Lampblack, out of the chimney, have found it works well, the cold cream keeps the area clean and the Lampblack scribes a good line.

axhandle February 7th, 2012 11:19 AM

Some Humor: (Autos)/Mechanics.

British and American

Bonnet--Hood.
Boot--Trunk

Sparking Plugs- Spark Plugs

Oil to Neat--Dipstick to Max level
Parrafin--Kerosene

Tip Over--Engine turns but not fire--
Petrol--Gas , Fuel.

Chuckle---Re-doing a '63 BSA B40 motorcycle, 350 cc Single--I get a Chuckle a day out of original 'Brit Service Manuals--

"The timing must be "Spot On"--piston at TDC, distributer --"at the loose"--a 6 volt light attached to the points""--Chuckle --it's Fun, I rode it some 18 yrs ago---:)

Ajla February 8th, 2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 888294)
Sie sindt, da--:)

Beautiful pic, Aj--an ice cave; reminds me of an old mine I once explored--there is something about pure call of nature that is the best medicine for contentment in life.

Got your snow cycle built yet?;):)

http://library.thinkquest.org/11529/

Ich bin hinter den Wasserfall! :)

But now every skating fanatic is hoping the eleven cities tour may be done!

axhandle February 8th, 2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 888749)

Good Morning , Aj.

I surmised you were the one 'Behind the Camera"-:)--It is really a good photo and to me a cozy place, as far out as that may sound.

The last real good time I recall (As Youth) was 1958, an Ice Storm covered the whole upper State---very unusual--was there fun?--Oh ,Absolutely, You Bet-!

Hmmm--Eleven Cities, will look up in a minute or so, Is Pushing allowed?--chuckle.

axhandle February 8th, 2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 888749)

I have lit the Incense!-- Freeze!--It must happen!--

Who is the picked front runner?

Would it not be a treat to board the Tandem Racer(We could hit at least 80 KpH!) of my mind, and follow the throng thruought it's route!

Such an Adventure!--

Ajla February 9th, 2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 888760)
I have lit the Incense!-- Freeze!--It must happen!--

Who is the picked front runner?

Would it not be a treat to board the Tandem Racer(We could hit at least 80 KpH!) of my mind, and follow the throng thruought it's route!

Such an Adventure!--

My BIL ofcourse! :) He went in '63, '78 and '97!
But it's not looking too good! :o

axhandle February 9th, 2012 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 889065)
My BIL ofcourse! :) He went in '63, '78 and '97!
But it's not looking too good! :o

I'm surprised, E.Europe sure is a mess right now, paralyzing cold and understand the Danube is all but closed.
So your BIL participated,--outstanding!.

Guess I'd be dressed warm enough.--:)

axhandle February 9th, 2012 10:14 AM

Jeff,
A fleeting thought--

Humidifer--Thrift shop.
Temp Control module-
"Box" (2x5 ft) of plywood with a glass door--observation. and Thermometer, built to fit the Humidifier on bottom.

With your skills, a day and a half--perfect Browned Barrels--;)

axhandle February 9th, 2012 10:15 AM

Jeff,
A fleeting thought--

Humidifer--Thrift shop.
Temp Control module-
"Box" (2x5 ft) of plywood with a glass door--observation. and Thermometer.

With your skills, a day and a half--

axhandle February 9th, 2012 10:52 AM

Rather a fleeting notion--

A Building--some 20x20 or 30 ft, Two Story-

Machine and Mechanics on first floor, storage. and a Corner on the Top-Well Insulated, a Stove).(Houses Books, a Desk,and 'Ameninties'-)--

Garlicluvr February 9th, 2012 11:44 AM

Ax: The building sounds nice. I want to eventually convert part of my equipment barn to a shop, blacksmith, machine shop, welding, etc. The main thing that it needs besides some insulation is a good sized power feed run back there 100 Amp minimum 200 would be even better.

I may attempt a humidifier box, have been wanting to build a steam box for years for steam bending wood could make one that would do double duty. Heck could even do it on the cheap and use rigid foam insulation board and a plexiglass or wood and clear poly lid.

Did that for a mini greenhouse for starting seeds worked well box of rigid foam duct taped together could glue it for a more permanent one. Wooden frame lid with greenhouse clear poly stapled to frame, a seedling heat mat with thermostat control for the heat source.

Thanks for the tip on the lamp black for inletting. Wont need it on this one as they did a perfect job from the factory on all of the inletting. Finished the brass parts and will laquer them this weekend. Now its time for barrel polishing to get out the machine marks them browning of barrel. Sanding and some final shaping of the stock in prep for finishing (got the try-oil). Other than that just re-assembly installation of the sights (dovetails are already cut may need a bit of final filing fitting.) and a little tweak on the hammer and she should be ready to shoot.

I need to bend the hammer a touch as the notch that the flint clamp is supposed to rest on doesn't touch the edge of the clamp so it doesn't hold the flint properly tries to squeeze it out.

Hope all is going well Ax.

Ajla February 10th, 2012 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 889114)
I'm surprised, E.Europe sure is a mess right now, paralyzing cold and understand the Danube is all but closed.
So your BIL participated,--outstanding!.

Guess I'd be dressed warm enough.--:)

Great picture Ax, but you forgot the pillow!

axhandle February 10th, 2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 889219)
Ax: The building sounds nice. I want to eventually convert part of my equipment barn to a shop, blacksmith, machine shop, welding, etc. The main thing that it needs besides some insulation is a good sized power feed run back there 100 Amp minimum 200 would be even better.

I may attempt a humidifier box, have been wanting to build a steam box for years for steam bending wood could make one that would do double duty. Heck could even do it on the cheap and use rigid foam insulation board and a plexiglass or wood and clear poly lid.

Did that for a mini greenhouse for starting seeds worked well box of rigid foam duct taped together could glue it for a more permanent one. Wooden frame lid with greenhouse clear poly stapled to frame, a seedling heat mat with thermostat control for the heat source.

For small bends,Kerfing works well and has been used in ship construction for centuries, used it to reinforce an antique chair once.
Thanks for the tip on the lamp black for inletting. Wont need it on this one as they did a perfect job from the factory on all of the inletting. Finished the brass parts and will laquer them this weekend. Now its time for barrel polishing to get out the machine marks them browning of barrel. Sanding and some final shaping of the stock in prep for finishing (got the try-oil). Other than that just re-assembly installation of the sights (dovetails are already cut may need a bit of final filing fitting.) and a little tweak on the hammer and she should be ready to shoot.

I need to bend the hammer a touch as the notch that the flint clamp is supposed to rest on doesn't touch the edge of the clamp so it doesn't hold the flint properly tries to squeeze it out.

Hope all is going well Ax.

Jeff,
The re-arrangement shop,blacksmith-etc. is exactly what I need to do, and scale back 'heavy operations'. Yep a 200 amp job is part of my notes for wiring.

Saw a documentary once, fellow on coast of France, routinely built 30-40ft. boats by himself. His steamer resembled one big , steam autoclave--15-20 ft.lengths went in to it.Kerfing works for small pieces.

Wow, no inletting touch up, quality kit!--Try that piece of lead sheet with the clamp.

Ax.