IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle January 4th, 2012 11:03 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

"First Fire"

"Missus gets cold, I burn up--Chuckle.

Two Mornings--A fire in the fireplace--Poplar to kick it off, Cherry to carry it on.;)

25F, ground near frozen, Dutch Oven on the Horizon-- some bullet pouring at "Late Night"--and "Sweet Dreams"--thereaftor;)

Mook January 4th, 2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873053)
Where Is Mook!??-- last post he was ill--Hope he is O.K. now,--bit concerned.

I'm still kicking...feeling a lot better...a little weak and haven't felt like posting much.

axhandle January 4th, 2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 873085)
I'm still kicking...feeling a lot better...a little weak and haven't felt like posting much.

Just good to hear from you, and 'Missus--

Somewhat down now myself--had some of the same--Cipro has cleared me up--considerably--5 days to go now--

Ax.

axhandle January 4th, 2012 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, Aj has not responded to The Silver Skates-:)

As is Me--Fresh Bread, a cozy kitchen-:)--and many memories--:)

Mook January 4th, 2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873077)
"First Fire"

"Missus gets cold, I burn up--Chuckle.

Two Mornings--A fire in the fireplace--Poplar to kick it off, Cherry to carry it on.;)

25F, ground near frozen, Dutch Oven on the Horizon-- some bullet pouring at "Late Night"--and "Sweet Dreams"--thereaftor;)

The wife and I burned a lot of wood a few years back...nothing warms you like wood heat other than coal.We burned a lot of different wood...oak,hickory,maple,walnut,chestnut,dog wood,birch,locust,sassasfras,beech,sycamore,poplar ,redbud,apple,hemlock pine and a few others.For high BTU's the locust wood was the best...for kindling the yellow poplar would catch fire pretty quick.

Mook January 4th, 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873044)
Find some Pillow Ticking--the old Blue and White stuff---priceless-best patches ever--

Yep, still looking for a 25-32 Cal percussion "Squirrel Rifle",--probably tote it around all day--and never fire a Shot--Another Walkabout, another day in the Forest--Solace, and Priceless--

I was in a black powder club here many years ago...we had around 30 members.Pillow ticking was what we used.I had several BP guns...a 50 & 54 cal TC rifle,50 cal TC hand gun and a TC 12 g shotgun.I sold them all except the 12 g.All of my guns were percussion.

Mook January 4th, 2012 12:51 PM

Here's a few pics of the TC 12g I purchased back in the late 80's early 90's...can't remember what year I purchased it.The gun came as a kit...I stained the stock with brown shoe polish and put on 3 coats of polyurethane...did very little work to the stock to get the metal work to line up.I haven't shot it for years.I shot #5 shot through it and slugs and round balls with 80 grains of FFFG powder.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/002-29.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/006-17.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/004-23.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/005-22.jpg

Mook January 4th, 2012 01:45 PM

A few more I have sitting around.

Rossi Puma 44 mag I purchased back in the early 90's.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/007-16.jpg

Winchester Model 94 30/30 made in 1964...one of dads old guns he gave me.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/009-14.jpg

SKS 7.62x39 given to me by my father-in-law

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/014-18.jpg

H&R 9 shot 22 given to me by my father-in-law.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/014-14.jpg

Browning 9mm given to me by my father-in-law.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/018-10.jpg

Mook January 4th, 2012 02:02 PM

Just in case anyone plans on breaking in...and your lucky enough to get by the dog.One of these guns will be ready and waiting for you...and yes...the wife can shoot better than I can...:D

axhandle January 5th, 2012 06:58 AM

Got some nice Iron there , Mook--the Rossi Puma --I like.44 cal!
Ran into a fellow selling 1953 Russian SKS--arsenal brand new --at $85--back when, now the prices are thru the ceilng even fo a chinese non mil,--really like that cartridge.

axhandle January 5th, 2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 873056)
to magical 5000.

Plant wins 'tha Seegar--the 5,000th calller!--:D

axhandle January 5th, 2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 873168)
Just in case anyone plans on breaking in...and your lucky enough to get by the dog.One of these guns will be ready and waiting for you...and yes...the wife can shoot better than I can...:D

SIL stored a trailer out front once for a few weeks--I put a cardboard sign on it

Warning, This Trailor is Boobytrapped!--and in glow in the dark paint also.:)

Ajla January 5th, 2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872662)
"Gretel und Hans"--

I learned something this AM.- and solved another puzzle--, on looking at the Skates --the design particularly the upcurved front--(Clog Pic, have my Poplar Blanks now)

Also--for you, a Face Powder box, from the same era--which I found in proximity--connecting the two--same home, same time--

P.S.--Lift the cover and it plays a tune, whilst putting on the powder--;):)

I learned on skates like that behind a kitchen chair! No such luck this year! 50 degrees and raining!

axhandle January 5th, 2012 08:19 AM

Darn, where's my Colt .44 Army!!??--Missus must have put it Up where I can find it--chuckle.

The fireplace has a lead pot on the side, a gang mold (.44cal) warming up--drops a dozen at the time--really love BP.

Enfield 1858--Parker-Hale Reissue not reproduction, they got the origional gauges, prints etc out of the Tower of London and remade some back in the '80's.

Bought a Two Band in the '80's, at first, shooting traditional Minies' would splatter them all over a barn side--Hmmmm says Me-- ordered an Enfield -Pritchett mold from Dixie Gunworks--Will take a Gnat off a Chiggers Rear at 200 yds now.

Favorite arm with CSA Snipers.

axhandle January 5th, 2012 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 873482)
I learned on skates like that behind a kitchen chair! No such luck this year! 50 degrees and raining!

Aj, you are light years ahead of me,I have never been on ice skates, and envy those who can.

BTW--Chuckle--How did you get on the cover of Esquire?--:D

axhandle January 5th, 2012 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aj, my first attempt was Cherry wood--made some mistakes , so went to Poplar, have my blanks, and paying more attention now--I scratch my chin at the straps-?? will they hold and not flop up and down??--Hmmmm--scratching beard, Me,--always something to keep my Brain Gears Greased--:)---It's what most important, the rest of the body follows--;)

axhandle January 5th, 2012 09:51 AM

"The Fair"-- a Play in at least, One Part--;)--Alabama, c.50's

Much activity amongst us, at 10 yrs old, working and planning--Returnable bottles, 2 cents , whiskey bottles 10 cent the pint, rake leaves, 25 cents the hour--

All in anticipation of seeing the WWII Spotlights signal, --the Fair Is Open!--could see them for ten miles.

We organized , the best Shooters went to the Galleries , in quest of the Horse Clock, the Cardsharps went after the Hawkers--the ball players went after the Milk Bottle Throw--and basketball expertise went to the Ring Throws--

The Communications Section went about , fast, picking up info as to how one gets ripped off--and reports back--

Un.

axhandle January 5th, 2012 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873512)
"The Fair"-- a Play in at least, One Part--;)--Alabama, c.50's

Much activity amongst us, at 10 yrs old, working and planning--Returnable bottles, 2 cents , whiskey bottles 10 cent the pint, rake leaves, 25 cents the hour--

All in anticipation of seeing the WWII Spotlights signal, --the Fair Is Open!--could see them for ten miles.

We organized , the best Shooters went to the Galleries , in quest of the Horse Clock, the Cardsharps went after the Hawkers--the ball players went after the Milk Bottle Throw--and basketball expertise went to the Ring Throws--

The Communications Section went about , fast, picking up info as to how one gets ripped off--and reports back--

Un.

Pic

axhandle January 5th, 2012 10:03 AM

Intermission--

"Humans love to be given Puzzles", there is little escape"

Anyone who loves adventure, another challenge, most 'Oft Scary--comes out on the other side, a better educated person.

axhandle January 5th, 2012 10:13 AM

"The Fairground gates open, 50 cents admission--rather Cold,, the Fog and Steam boils off the floodlights.The "Bullets" are going Round and Round--10 Cents!--Bullets are a ride,cylindrical two of them rotateing on an axis, and forward--at a very good pace--

axhandle January 5th, 2012 10:24 AM

Dieux

Reports from the "Forbidden Zone"--No Kids Allowed , reveal that many of Our Fair Town , "Officials: have been spotted lineing up at the Hootchie Cootchie Shows", not surprised, along with the Two Headed "Wild Man From Borneo" and the shrunken Head --from "The Deepest Bowels of the Amazon--

Chuckle--His 'Missus Faints", 'brought only back to Life by the prompt cracking of an Ammonia Vial!!"--

Oh, Boy '50's --Priceless.

redneckplanter January 5th, 2012 10:30 AM

now on to 6000?
chat er up ya'lls.lol

axhandle January 5th, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873457)
Plant wins 'tha Seegar--the 5,000th calller!--:D

Like Cuban Cigars,? actually King Edwards are my smoke--"In the "Handy , Five Pack"- Radio WWL ,New Orleans--'58-;):D

axhandle January 6th, 2012 12:07 PM

"The Yards"

Central Highlands--"Home of Mountain Mist"

Gads, but before I put the Cart before the Horse--Burma, early '40's --"The Purple Plain"--

"Greg Peck" (As a Mossy Pilot)--"Good Morning ,Doc"

axhandle January 6th, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873915)
"The Yards"

Central Highlands--"Home of Mountain Mist"

Gads, but before I put the Cart before the Horse--Burma, early '40's --"The Purple Plain"--

"Greg Peck" (As a Mossy Pilot)--"Good Morning ,Doc"

"Most Indeliable" scene from 'late '40' '50's---Peck is sitting on a rock, on R&R--sometimes Medically known as Battle Fatigue.

He is watching a local boy toying, with a lizard in the dirt.

"So, how are you?"
"Well ,--thanks, Doc"

"What is the boy doing?"

"According to how the lizard does, the boy determines if it lives or dies"

Quoted--Non-Verbatim--only from a movie ---but still, holds truth.

Ajla January 7th, 2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873493)
Aj, you are light years ahead of me,I have never been on ice skates, and envy those who can.

BTW--Chuckle--How did you get on the cover of Esquire?--:D

:)

axhandle January 9th, 2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 873155)
A few more I have sitting around.

Rossi Puma 44 mag I purchased back in the early 90's.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/007-16.jpg

Winchester Model 94 30/30 made in 1964...one of dads old guns he gave me.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/009-14.jpg

SKS 7.62x39 given to me by my father-in-law

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/014-18.jpg

H&R 9 shot 22 given to me by my father-in-law.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/014-14.jpg

Browning 9mm given to me by my father-in-law.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/018-10.jpg

Mook,

Never thought of brown shoepolish--makes all kind of sense.
12 gauge--first one I've seen--years ago--found a ramrod on the outskirts of Shiloh, Tn.Looked like someone had wrapped it around a tree, bent, almost a circle-- shotgun ramrod--well they had---after several years I ran across some reading that one of the most common mistakes , in the heat of battle was not taking the ramrod out before fireing--

Later, also it was early War, many CSA's were armed with shotguns--and flintlocks.On the eve of the Shiloh battle, the CS armorers were up all night converting flintlocks to percussion, friend of mine found what I called a failed attempt--in the same area--the old flintlock was so worn out, the Armorers scrapped it--

P.S. I like a product named Tru-Oil for stock finish--

axhandle January 9th, 2012 07:36 AM

Always loved the H&R 9 shot Topbreaks--very good stuff.

SIL brought me a Remington 552 Speedmaster last year- ---'70's --fellow sold it to him for $10.00--said it was "broke" and wouldn't shoot"----

SIL called me last week and said he shot it--Bent feed tube, hammer needed honeing--they flatten out over time and jam--mine did the same thing.

Buy all you find, the Speedmaster is the only one shooting S,L, and LR--interchagebably--and it only takes about an hour to fix one that "Don't Shoot";):D

axhandle January 9th, 2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 873482)

"Behind, a Kitchen Chair", the skates--caught my eye Aj,

I might comment,--Yes, it was a good lesson:

Here we were taught (In the South), 'Never go on Ice!"--- the most depth I saw was 6 inches , and that was the worst, around one half to a maximum of two inches was my norm.

axhandle January 9th, 2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 874881)
"Behind, a Kitchen Chair", the skates--caught my eye Aj,

I might comment,--Yes, it was a good lesson:

Here we were taught (In the South), 'Never go on Ice!"--- the most depth I saw was 6 inches , and that was the worst, around one half to a maximum of two inches was my norm.

___I still want to Ice Sail, the Wind, the Tiller ,--good Wool, good wood,-- a Basket ofCheese and Bread--and Always,an Adventure--:)

Garlicluvr January 9th, 2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 874805)
Always loved the H&R 9 shot Topbreaks--very good stuff.

SIL brought me a Remington 552 Speedmaster last year- ---'70's --fellow sold it to him for $10.00--said it was "broke" and wouldn't shoot"----

SIL called me last week and said he shot it--Bent feed tube, hammer needed honeing--they flatten out over time and jam--mine did the same thing.

Buy all you find, the Speedmaster is the only one shooting S,L, and LR--interchagebably--and it only takes about an hour to fix one that "Don't Shoot";):D

Sounds like he got a good deal Ax. Not familiar with the 552 speedmaster but will look it up. I have a Remington Model 580 bolt action single shot .22 that my Dad bought for me when I was 7. Nice simple and accurate shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. She still shoots good and will be passed on to one of the boys.

I have always liked the little ruger .22 revovler that comes with dual interchangeable cylinders one for 22 Long Rifle and one for 22 Magnum.

Mook you have some nice iron there, I like those model 94's in 30/30 or 35 Remington and The 44Mag does make a nice brush gun. My Uncle had one of the Rugers Semi-auto carbines in 44Mag had a tubular magazine and looked a lot like the 10/22's big brother. Made a nice brush gun for deer with those 240 grain hollow-points.

Jeff:)

Garlicluvr January 9th, 2012 11:45 AM

Ax: Pulled out the Howard Hill longbow yesterday and did a little stump shooting or just walking through the woods and shooting cans, trash etc. Was nice just to just fling a few arrows she still shoots pretty smooth and zings arrows pretty decent for only a 40lb bow. Buried a couple of field points almost 6" into stump-wood Maple but some was pithy and some sound.

I wouldt have any qualms with using her for deer hunting still plenty of oompfh to put a broadhead tipped arrow clean through a deer.

axhandle January 10th, 2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 874887)
Ax: Pulled out the Howard Hill longbow yesterday and did a little stump shooting or just walking through the woods and shooting cans, trash etc. Was nice just to just fling a few arrows she still shoots pretty smooth and zings arrows pretty decent for only a 40lb bow. Buried a couple of field points almost 6" into stump-wood Maple but some was pithy and some sound.

I wouldt have any qualms with using her for deer hunting still plenty of oompfh to put a broadhead tipped arrow clean through a deer.

Sounds like you did some Roving as we used to call it, enjoy the outdoors, look for a challengeing target and let 'er Fly!--

Hill Longbow, Zwickey broadheads--sweet combo, and plenty for deer--

Maybe a pic or so later, Rem. Targetmaster , the first rifle I ever shot--
Identical to the one G'Dad had, down to maufacture OCT, 1936.

Ajla January 10th, 2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 874882)
___I still want to Ice Sail, the Wind, the Tiller ,--good Wool, good wood,-- a Basket ofCheese and Bread--and Always,an Adventure--:)

I'd come with you, but I'd want hot chocolate, or pea soup, or glühwein! :D

axhandle January 10th, 2012 08:33 AM

Good Morning, Holland---

Ah, Ha Glogg!--so be it!---Pipeing Hot!, enough Chocolate to last a Fortnight, ---but the Pea Soup--not so sure--;):)---How about some of my Soup?--takes all day to make--You bring das Frisches Brot--;):)

axhandle January 10th, 2012 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aj, I keep drifting back to this painting--one of my most favorites--

P.S. Bring the footwarmer--;)

Ajla January 10th, 2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875259)
Good Morning, Holland---

Ah, Ha Glogg!--so be it!---Pipeing Hot!, enough Chocolate to last a Fortnight, ---but the Pea Soup--not so sure--;):)---How about some of my Soup?--takes all day to make--You bring das Frisches Brot--;):)

http://worldsoups.com/proddetail.php?prod=1076

You should try this, it's really good!

Ajla January 10th, 2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875263)
Aj, I keep drifting back to this painting--one of my most favorites--

P.S. Bring the footwarmer--;)

OK, that's got us organized, apart from one wee problem: There's no ice!

axhandle January 10th, 2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 875264)
http://worldsoups.com/proddetail.php?prod=1076

You should try this, it's really good!

And I will--similar tastes, you and I--gads, makes me hungry--

Bay Leaves--a "Must", Parsely a must,Celery Leaves--( the best part!)---celery hearts--new one to include.Love Leeks.

To reciprocate, in thanks--

Vegetable soup--a La--G'Mother--

Celery, including leaves, trim bitters off.
Tomatoes--lots--;)
Carrots--Lots--
Parsely--tsp.
Onion--only a thin slice
Garlic--one crushed bud.
Bacon Grease--one tsp.

Noodles--cook seperate till almost done, collander, and cold wash, set aside till later.

Ajla January 10th, 2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875279)

Bay Leaves--a "Must", Parsely a must,Celery Leaves--( the best part!)---celery hearts--new one to include.Love Leeks.

Tomatoes--lots--;)
Carrots--Lots--
Parsely--tsp.
Onion--only a thin slice
Garlic--one crushed bud.
Bacon Grease--one tsp.

Noodles--cook seperate till almost done, collander, and cold wash, set aside till later.

I only have to wait an hour and a half for supper!
But I better start cooking? Sounds like minestrone!

Autumn January 10th, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872895)
Autumn--sent you a note Sat--Twilight Zone Marathon, SY FY channel--still going today-- started at '60's and worked on thru.

Been watching Ax. Found I can't watch just before going to sleep, they scare me. Kids told me their fav is "Man on the Menu", they love it and watch it each time. Aaaagggg, actual recipes for serving Man. eeeeuuu. :eek:

axhandle January 10th, 2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875279)

Tomatoes--lots--;)
Carrots--Lots--
Parsely--tsp.
Onion--only a thin slice
Garlic--one crushed bud.
Bacon Grease--one tsp.

Bring water to boil, add carrots and celery--retain leaves till later.

Simmer--remember this is an all day soup-:), till carrots are sliced easily with a spoon, sprinkle in some garlic and parsely, at this point--easy on the salt, and maybe a peppercorn ,if so inclined, stir and simmer.

After an hour--add tomatoes,more celery leaves, rest of garlic and onion--and a bit more salt--

Simmer, and add noodles, I have found that Macaroni Noodles fill the bill, the best--simmer for 15 minutes and turn heat off--

The only thing left is--just before serving--bring the temp up to just short of boiling, serve in soupbowls, with bread--Thence --to the Land of Nod--

axhandle January 10th, 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 875281)
I only have to wait an hour and a half for supper!
But I better start cooking? Sounds like minestrone!

Oh, You--:):D

Not Ministrone, which I love--it's E.European--

BTW--hasn't been a freeze here yet either,during the day--some at nights--Fireplace is beginning to feel Ignored--;):D

axhandle January 10th, 2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 875284)
Been watching Ax. Found I can't watch just before going to sleep, they scare me. Kids told me their fav is "Man on the Menu", they love it and watch it each time. Aaaagggg, actual recipes for serving Man. eeeeuuu. :eek:

You 'an Tha "Missus--same thing:)

G'Daughter (7),loves it, however--the one with the Monkey on the Airplane Wing, Wm.Shatner--got to her--

By contrast--G'Son (Ranger),- (3)--throws a ball at the T.V. utters --something like "Monkey Fly", and goes off to find my wrenches and screwdrivers--

"Life is Gravy"

Chuckle, got to look up and see if--"Man on the Menu" was recorded--

"Sift and Glean"--Ax.:)

axhandle January 10th, 2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 875284)

Gads, Thanks Autumn--you just reminded me of "Blood Feast"--'60's Cult Classic, saw it at the Drive In--and later years ran across a copy--Probably one of the worst movies ever made--:D

G'Daughter was a bit skittish about sleeping across the hall, but she watches Buffy the Vampire Slayer--and I told her that Buffy was always there and awake-- when she was asleep--

Autumn January 10th, 2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875295)
Gads, Thanks Autumn--you just reminded me of "Blood Feast"--'60's Cult Classic, saw it at the Drive In--and later years ran across a copy--Probably one of the worst movies ever made--:D

G'Daughter was a bit skittish about sleeping across the hall, but she watches Buffy the Vampire Slayer--and I told her that Buffy was always there and awake-- when she was asleep--

Your a meanie Ax, if I did that to my 7-year old GGD, her Mom would scalp me. Little 4-year old "GGS went through the tool stage at your GS's age, too. Grabbed my hand while working on a faucet outside and walked to the back door, "I need a screwdriver". I loved that age. :D

axhandle January 10th, 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 875301)
Your a meanie Ax, if I did that to my 7-year old GGD, her Mom would scalp me. Little 4-year old "GGS went through the tool stage at your GS's age, too. Grabbed my hand while working on a faucet outside and walked to the back door, "I need a screwdriver". I loved that age. :D

Aint it Grand, :)--guess the label Grand means--"Those Who Know"--

Cannot!, keep Ranger out of my basement,---Paw Paws Tools--:)

By contrast--he had to go over to the Medical Center here, with Maw-Maw-- a transit cab--"When he got off the cab--he turned around and said --"Thanks, Mister"--to the driver-- I teared up when Missus told me that--

axhandle January 10th, 2012 11:22 AM

Give this one a "Whirl", --"Todays 'Bit 'O Useless Knowledge"--;)
Write down--12,345,679--and ask anyone person to say his favorite--Luck Number,--be it 3 or 7--or--?---Mulltiply it in your head by the number --9.

i.e. -3x9 = 27--

Ask to put 27 below 12,345,679--and divide it comes out 3--chuckle.;):)

tweed January 10th, 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875308)
Aint it Grand, :)--guess the label Grand means--"Those Who Know"--

Cannot!, keep Ranger out of my basement,---Paw Paws Tools--:)

By contrast--he had to go over to the Medical Center here, with Maw-Maw-- a transit cab--"When he got off the cab--he turned around and said --"Thanks, Mister"--to the driver-- I teared up when Missus told me that--

Nothin' like raisin' one right, Ax.
My little 4 year old grandson says "Thank You" without fail and I even heard him say "Yes Ma'am" the other day. :D
Of course he can be a little blunt sometimes also. (I have no clue where he gets that from. LOL)
He went to town with me the other day. He went to sleep on the way home and I laid him down and covered him up when we got here.
The wife, my step-daughter and me were in the kitchen when we heard this little voice holler "Hey! Could y'all keep it quiet in there? I'm trying to sleep in here"! LOL He's a booger.

Steve

axhandle January 10th, 2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 875363)
My little 4 year old grandson says "Thank You" without fail and I even heard him say "Yes Ma'am" the other day. :D
Of course he can be a little blunt sometimes also. (I have no clue where he gets that from. LOL)
He went to town with me the other day. He went to sleep on the way home and I laid him down and covered him up when we got here.
The wife, my step-daughter and me were in the kitchen when we heard this little voice holler "Hey! Could y'all keep it quiet in there? I'm trying to sleep in here"! LOL He's a booger.

Steve

Yep, life is grand , now--'Missus Told Me So"--chuckle--;)

Gads, a 'Walkabout", looms Nigh,--"Treasure lies beyond the Ice!!"--

Good to hear from you, and take care,--I still have my 283 Chev down in the basement--'Missus just don't understand mechanics--;):D

tweed January 10th, 2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875366)
Yep, life is grand , now--'Missus Told Me So"--chuckle--;)

Gads, a 'Walkabout", looms Nigh,--"Treasure lies beyond the Ice!!"--

Good to hear from you, and take care,--I still have my 283 Chev down in the basement--'Missus just don't understand mechanics--;):D

Hey now! What are you going to do with the 283?
I have a buddy at work who has a 1967 model 289 with the Fordomatic trans. The 289 is not the hi-po but nonetheless they are getting very, very hard to find.
He wants $700 for the pair, $500 for the engine alone.
Also, you are going to kick me when I tell you what I passed up on from another guy at work.
He had a 66 Ford Custom Cab PU. That is THE pretty one and it was the right colors, Red & White, but it was a longbed so I passed even though he only wanted $900 for it.
Dummy. LOL

Steve

axhandle January 10th, 2012 12:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Jeff--

I take particular note of--- the Safety---has to be hand cocked, (The Bolt) --and the safety has to be rotated--

Autumn January 10th, 2012 01:20 PM

"Sift and Glean"--Ax.:)[/QUOTE]

Ax, Could be "Recipes for Man", duh. :confused:

My little GG's asks, "What's your problem"?

I didn't have any change in my purse for his new pink piggy bank so pulled out a dollar, he folded and folded trying to get it through the slit. I told him, fold it one more time. "No, I'm going to spend it"!!! Ended that.

Ajla January 11th, 2012 07:02 AM

:confused: Cannot fool you, can I Ax? ;)

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1547.jpg

Notice anything in my room?

Garlicluvr January 11th, 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875375)
Jeff--

I take particular note of--- the Safety---has to be hand cocked, (The Bolt) --and the safety has to be rotated--

Interesting gun Ax, I love those little .22's. Had one I was supposed to inherit from grandfather on my Dad's side that was a beauty, Remington or Winchester cant remember which pump action with tubular magazine had an octagonal barrel with two sets of flip up rear sights one a coarser v-notch and one a fine target peep with vernier yardage scale. Similiar to those on the Sharps buffalo rifles.

Unfortunately communications got crossed and when Dad passed it ended up going to one of my step-brothers.

Ordered some more archery supplies from 3Rivers archery pretty decent outfit that specializes in traditional gear, even carry flint napping tools and obsidian if you want to go real primitive. Got some more Zwickeys, matching weight field points and a few of the Judo points for roving/stump shooting and some odds and ends.

axhandle January 11th, 2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 875374)
Hey now! What are you going to do with the 283?
I have a buddy at work who has a 1967 model 289 with the Fordomatic trans. The 289 is not the hi-po but nonetheless they are getting very, very hard to find.
He wants $700 for the pair, $500 for the engine alone.
Also, you are going to kick me when I tell you what I passed up on from another guy at work.
He had a 66 Ford Custom Cab PU. That is THE pretty one and it was the right colors, Red & White, but it was a longbed so I passed even though he only wanted $900 for it.
Dummy. LOL

Steve

Got it years ago, began re- building it out of a '67 Chev that was headed for the scrap.

Of course, me--I get started on something and say--well, bronze valve guides, "Power Pack" Heads, double row timing chain, cam--on and on--:D

It's slated for a 65 Pickup---but now changed my mind, rather have a short bed--Maybe one day I'll finish it, or let the kids squabble over it when I kick the bucket--

Tweed, on the trucks ,--thats "Two Strikes";):D---Love the '66 Ford truck--and yes the 289 is getting very scarce.

I cringe at the EPA--"Cleanup" some 10-15 yrs back--many classics gone to Captain Crunch"--pity.

axhandle January 11th, 2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 875363)

Steve

Golden Sound , Tweed--every day something new--priceless!

axhandle January 11th, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 875401)

"Sift and Glean"--Ax.:)

Ax, Could be "Recipes for Man", duh. :confused:

My little GG's asks, "What's your problem"?

I didn't have any change in my purse for his new pink piggy bank so pulled out a dollar, he folded and folded trying to get it through the slit. I told him, fold it one more time. "No, I'm going to spend it"!!! Ended that.[/QUOTE]

Thats a hoot--Have this bank, cast iron repro of back in '20's?--Man on a trapeze, spring loaded--put a penny at the base, and the fellow kicks it across the bank into a slot--failure rate--1/100--amazing.

Ranger's favorite toy--

axhandle January 11th, 2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 875662)
:confused: Cannot fool you, can I Ax? ;)

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN1547.jpg

Notice anything in my room?

Let's see now--scratching beard momentarily--:)---A flagon of Glogg on the table, very nice furniture, (practical/ functional--Hmmm got to look that style up),a foot warmer under the table--and a Pretty Lady taking a picture--

What did I miss?--:)

axhandle January 11th, 2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 874884)
Sounds like he got a good deal Ax. Not familiar with the 552 speedmaster but will look it up. I have a Remington Model 580 bolt action single shot .22 that my Dad bought for me when I was 7. Nice simple and accurate shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. She still shoots good and will be passed on to one of the boys.

I have always liked the little ruger .22 revovler that comes with dual interchangeable cylinders one for 22 Long Rifle and one for 22 Magnum.

Mook you have some nice iron there, I like those model 94's in 30/30 or 35 Remington and The 44Mag does make a nice brush gun. My Uncle had one of the Rugers Semi-auto carbines in 44Mag had a tubular magazine and looked a lot like the 10/22's big brother. Made a nice brush gun for deer with those 240 grain hollow-points.

552 was made until '88--then renamed the BDL.
The 580--another good one from Remington.

Single Shots--have downstairs what was known as a "Pig Rifle"-- sold by some obscure Hardware Co.--1900's.

The spring was taken out, the bolt a screw in type, etc--another one of my projects--Relatively well made, bore is good and action tight--the most notable feature is a Barrel Shroud, barrel enclosed in a tube,adds stability, but a Caveat--water--over time the inner barrel rusts--the old Mauser Gewher 88 rifle (8mm, black powder cartridge) had a shroud--Hmmmm-- load up some 8mm with Black Powder-- take it to the range , and check it out--should be fun--:)

axhandle January 11th, 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 875708)
Interesting gun Ax, I love those little .22's. Had one I was supposed to inherit from grandfather on my Dad's side that was a beauty, Remington or Winchester cant remember which pump action with tubular magazine had an octagonal barrel with two sets of flip up rear sights one a coarser v-notch and one a fine target peep with vernier yardage scale. Similiar to those on the Sharps buffalo rifles.

Unfortunately communications got crossed and when Dad passed it ended up going to one of my step-brothers.

Ordered some more archery supplies from 3Rivers archery pretty decent outfit that specializes in traditional gear, even carry flint napping tools and obsidian if you want to go real primitive. Got some more Zwickeys, matching weight field points and a few of the Judo points for roving/stump shooting and some odds and ends.

Gads, go offer him something even a Will Default--:)--- , octagonal barrel--twin rear sights,--I recall one in my mind--writing a note --to research.

Hmmm--Three Rivers--

axhandle January 11th, 2012 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875749)
Gads, go offer him something even a Will Default--:)--- , octagonal barrel--twin rear sights,--I recall one in my mind--writing a note --to research.

Hmmm--Three Rivers--

Look up Moundville State Park, Al.(About 75 miles from me)
Each year there is a N.A. Festival there, with all the lost arts being taught, by N.A.'s, handed down --one is Flint Knapping projectile points, and also Flintlock flints--etc--

tweed January 11th, 2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875712)
Got it years ago, began re- building it out of a '67 Chev that was headed for the scrap.

Of course, me--I get started on something and say--well, bronze valve guides, "Power Pack" Heads, double row timing chain, cam--on and on--:D

It's slated for a 65 Pickup---but now changed my mind, rather have a short bed--Maybe one day I'll finish it, or let the kids squabble over it when I kick the bucket--

Tweed, on the trucks ,--thats "Two Strikes";):D---Love the '66 Ford truck--and yes the 289 is getting very scarce.

I cringe at the EPA--"Cleanup" some 10-15 yrs back--many classics gone to Captain Crunch"--pity.

The '65 Chevy PU is a gorgeous one! Nice pick!
My sister in law still has her and my wife's late grandfathers old truck, which he bought brand new.
It's a 63 Chevy PU with the 235(I think) and a standard shift. It's that metallic looking mint green color with a white top. The interior is cream and tan.
The odometer show 54,000 original miles.
She runs great but needs a total resto.
Dewey used her as a farm truck and it has a crease in the bed. Also, he had someone weld down diamond plate over the original wood bed. Yikes.

Steve

axhandle January 11th, 2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 875775)
The '65 Chevy PU is a gorgeous one! Nice pick!
My sister in law still has her and my wife's late grandfathers old truck, which he bought brand new.
It's a 63 Chevy PU with the 235(I think) and a standard shift. It's that metallic looking mint green color with a white top. The interior is cream and tan.
The odometer show 54,000 original miles.
She runs great but needs a total resto.
Dewey used her as a farm truck and it has a crease in the bed. Also, he had someone weld down diamond plate over the original wood bed. Yikes.

Steve

Got to be kidding-:)--'63 Chevy with orginal In-Line--"Blue Flame "6"!!,(Best 6 ever built!) manual trans, with 54,000 miles----whowwwwh

If You Decide--;):)--which is the Clincher---buy it-- if--and I have some, yet "Unidentified" parts still in the box-- Gratis--some Ford ,some Chevy --and who knows what--Valves,bearings--etc--

Hmmmm--'Methinks a '63 Chevy Truck will win the Panamericana--yet--;)--serious.

axhandle January 11th, 2012 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"The Wayback Machine"

Great Uncles , 32-20, and it was used--;)

One of the origional----"Saturday Night Specials"

G'Dad gave it to me,back in the '70's-- it was his Brothers, along with history.
Re-Blued, honed the internals,and ultimately shot it--Resides in a special place now--

Dad told me--"If the bullet didn't hit, the blast and smoke would blind the opponent"--;):)

I found that the steel composition, was varied--Blueing--when the final product is lifted from the Vats--poorer steel takes on a reddish coloration--Oh , Well--chuckle--as long as it Shoots--Esthetics can wait--:)

axhandle January 11th, 2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875806)
"The Wayback Machine"

Great Uncles , 32-20, and it was used--;)

One of the origional----"Saturday Night Specials"

G'Dad gave it to me,back in the '70's-- it was his Brothers, along with history.
Re-Blued, honed the internals,and ultimately shot it--Resides in a special place now--

Dad told me--"If the bullet didn't hit, the blast and smoke would blind the opponent"--;):)

I found that the steel composition, was varied--Blueing--when the final product is lifted from the Vats--poorer steel takes on a reddish coloration--Oh , Well--chuckle--as long as it Shoots--Esthetics can wait--:)

Acuately forgot, momentarily--chuckle-(He Was a Miner)-G'Uncle was 5'1" tall--whip any two 6 footers, dig more coal,and out wit the finest--

tweed January 11th, 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875786)
Got to be kidding-:)--'63 Chevy with orginal In-Line--"Blue Flame "6"!!,(Best 6 ever built!) manual trans, with 54,000 miles----whowwwwh

If You Decide--;):)--which is the Clincher---buy it-- if--and I have some, yet "Unidentified" parts still in the box-- Gratis--some Ford ,some Chevy --and who knows what--Valves,bearings--etc--

Hmmmm--'Methinks a '63 Chevy Truck will win the Panamericana--yet--;)--serious.

I kid you not. Also, I almost forgot...........It's a Fleetside, not Stepside.
As soon as I figure out how to get our digital camera to take pics (size wise) that can upload here, I will post 'em up.
This truck is special.

Steve

axhandle January 12th, 2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875754)
Look up Moundville State Park, Al.(About 75 miles from me)
Each year there is a N.A. Festival there, with all the lost arts being taught, by N.A.'s, handed down --one is Flint Knapping projectile points, and also Flintlock flints--etc--

Jeff, visited Three Rivers site--wide variety--surprised to see a Magyar bow, always like the style.
Fellow from Hungary, world champ I think was a wizard with one, they do their shooting from horseback, much the same as the Mongels did.
Thanks for site---

axhandle January 12th, 2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 876058)
I kid you not. Also, I almost forgot...........It's a Fleetside, not Stepside.
As soon as I figure out how to get our digital camera to take pics (size wise) that can upload here, I will post 'em up.
This truck is special.

Steve

A once in a Jewel lifetime, get those pics up!--:)

Go to your camera menu, then image mode--select 1024x768--and hit ok.---if that doesn't work for you drop down another notch, I shoot all of mine with 1024x 768--works

Garlicluvr January 12th, 2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876159)
Jeff, visited Three Rivers site--wide variety--surprised to see a Magyar bow, always like the style.
Fellow from Hungary, world champ I think was a wizard with one, they do their shooting from horseback, much the same as the Mongels did.
Thanks for site---

Those horse-bows are getting a following here. Might have to try one one day.

Did you notice Ax the carry a couple different length bodkin points.

axhandle January 12th, 2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 876169)
Those horse-bows are getting a following here. Might have to try one one day.

Did you notice Ax the carry a couple different length bodkin points.

Got so carried away, I didn't but will go back later in A.M.
Ran into an older bow, at the gunshow a month ago--,longbow, fellow wanted $200, but didn't have a makers mark I could identify with.

Ever tried Flu-Flu arrows for Roving?--

Garlicluvr January 12th, 2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876171)
Got so carried away, I didn't but will go back later in A.M.
Ran into an older bow, at the gunshow a month ago--,longbow, fellow wanted $200, but didn't have a makers mark I could identify with.

Ever tried Flu-Flu arrows for Roving?--

No but need to get a few for roving and always wanted to try some aerial targets. If I was back in Kansas would have to try them out on pheasant with the bird or judo points.

$200 for unknown maker seems a bit steep, I got the 50# Ben Pearson Ole Ben on ebay for $100.

axhandle January 12th, 2012 07:47 AM

Don't have to chase the arrows as much,--

That Old Ben you have is a beauty--have to spend some time on e-bay before long--finding a bow in a thrift shop, flea market has become a rarity now, most all are compunds with gismos all over them--I like Vintage-:)

Garlicluvr January 12th, 2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876177)
Don't have to chase the arrows as much,--

That Old Ben you have is a beauty--have to spend some time on e-bay before long--finding a bow in a thrift shop, flea market has become a rarity now, most all are compunds with gismos all over them--I like Vintage-:)

I am with you on vintage. I do like the Bear Ausable for new ones and some customs but used is easier on the budget especially if you luck into a good deal. I still want one of thase Grimes Spitfires, and maybe another nice Wing really like the Wing.

axhandle January 12th, 2012 07:55 AM

Whil'st on my mind Jeff, signal arrows, the kids will like--basically a cane whistle--have them make their own, and its mounted on an arrow--sounds like a bottle rocket taking off--

Garlicluvr January 12th, 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876187)
Whil'st on my mind Jeff, signal arrows, the kids will like--basically a cane whistle--have them make their own, and its mounted on an arrow--sounds like a bottle rocket taking off--

Speaking of that Ax saw they had now come out with a screw in whistling point to turn any arrow with a screw in insert into a whistler.

axhandle January 12th, 2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 876186)
I am with you on vintage. I do like the Bear Ausable for new ones and some customs but used is easier on the budget especially if you luck into a good deal. I still want one of thase Grimes Spitfires, and maybe another nice Wing really like the Wing.

Wing T-Bird--I miss it,very fast bow, ebony black, and as I recall some red or white laminations at certain points.

Get it--:)

axhandle January 12th, 2012 08:07 AM

Jeff, spot checked e-bay--there are two T-Birds on now, one with 8 bidders at $51.00,
another bidding proceeding , but buy it now--$239.

The latter is identical to the one I had--62" 52#

Also a few Red Wing Hunters up for bid--

Ajla January 12th, 2012 08:31 AM

Are you sure it's not snowing over there?
Posts seem to get snowed under! :)

Garlicluvr January 12th, 2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876196)
Jeff, spot checked e-bay--there are two T-Birds on now, one with 8 bidders at $51.00,
another bidding proceeding , but buy it now--$239.

The latter is identical to the one I had--62" 52#

Also a few Red Wing Hunters up for bid--

Ax: Just looked at them the 51.00 one is a left-hand. Glad I got my Wing Presentation when I did one on there and bidding is up to $275, they do seem to be high demand, I lucked out a bit on mine had just been listed and had a reasonable buy it now price so I bought it on the spot. Ironically saw another a week or two later Presentation II the takedown version with hard case, a half dozen target arrows, sight , tools etc on and on. Decent price almost bought it but couldnt justify buying another when I just got one. Looking back i should have bought it.

The spitfires dont come up often I will have to check from time to time.

axhandle January 12th, 2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 876190)
Speaking of that Ax saw they had now come out with a screw in whistling point to turn any arrow with a screw in insert into a whistler.

G'Dad taught me how to make whistles, out of firehardened (While the potatos baked in the ground)--bamboo/cane , that was growing down at the creek, and another one back up the hill, it was a Laurel limb, I think--only a pocket knife--

A million does not buy that day!--:)--It was a Saturday,late Summer, the Sun --'Shown on the Moss and Dew, in the Forest"

G'Dads Blue Grey Eyes --reflected many things that day--including what his G'Dad passed on to him--

axhandle January 12th, 2012 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aj,

Last evening--'Missus Whopped Me with a Newspaper--Dozed off in front of the Fire, and the "Tele" "One of your favorite movies is on!"----Cherry Wood, 4 small ones, burned for three hours--

"Metro " was on the Tele-,--One of my favorites--Fritz had a grasp--

Folks, it was 1926---;):)

Ajla January 13th, 2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876285)
Aj,

Last evening--'Missus Whopped Me with a Newspaper--Dozed off in front of the Fire, and the "Tele" "One of your favorite movies is on!"----Cherry Wood, 4 small ones, burned for three hours--

What about: Der Himmel über Berlin?

Garlicluvr January 13th, 2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876263)
G'Dad taught me how to make whistles, out of firehardened (While the potatos baked in the ground)--bamboo/cane , that was growing down at the creek, and another one back up the hill, it was a Laurel limb, I think--only a pocket knife--

A million does not buy that day!--:)--It was a Saturday,late Summer, the Sun --'Shown on the Moss and Dew, in the Forest"

G'Dads Blue Grey Eyes --reflected many things that day--including what his G'Dad passed on to him--

Great story Ax and you are right no amount of money can buy experiences like those. Grandfather passed on some skills, tricks of the trade and many memories.

Garlicluvr January 16th, 2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876285)
Aj,

Ax: It has been cold here the last 4 days or so so been running the wood stove all day. Still nothing like a warm wood stove on a cold day.

Have the new percolator going on top the wood stove this morning and just now drinking my first cup of the day superb.

Ajla January 17th, 2012 08:18 AM

Ich glaube es gibt einer der seine Wanderschuhe wieder angezogen hat?????

redneckplanter January 18th, 2012 11:56 AM

gonna be tree time soon.lol

Garlicluvr January 18th, 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 879014)
gonna be tree time soon.lol

It is indeed Garrett I already have a couple on order for spring shipment a replacement Montmorency pie cherry and another peach tree ordered a Canadian Harmony to give it a try.

tweed January 19th, 2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 876263)

Mornin', Ax! :)
Dad made my first fishin' pole from the same thing. A Cane Pole it is called.
He also made me a spite wad blowgun from the same thing.
Guess he thought I might practice to join the military instead of taking it to school! LOL :D

Steve

tweed January 19th, 2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 877907)
Ax: It has been cold here the last 4 days or so so been running the wood stove all day. Still nothing like a warm wood stove on a cold day.

Have the new percolator going on top the wood stove this morning and just now drinking my first cup of the day superb.

So true and that is the best coffee there is right there, Jeff! :)

Steve

Garlicluvr January 19th, 2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 879464)
So true and that is the best coffee there is right there, Jeff! :)

Steve

Good to see you Steve: Hope all is well there. Looks like another cold spell here so the old woodstove will be going again.

Wonder where Ax is? Hopefully he is just on a walkabout or enjoying some family time.

tweed January 20th, 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 879510)
Good to see you Steve: Hope all is well there. Looks like another cold spell here so the old woodstove will be going again.

Wonder where Ax is? Hopefully he is just on a walkabout or enjoying some family time.

Yeah, I hope he is also.
Thanks for the well wishes. :)
I was looking at old wood/coal parlor stoves online the other day.
Them restored ones is HIIIIIIIIGH!

Steve

redneckplanter January 22nd, 2012 01:17 AM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.smiles

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875716)
Let's see now--scratching beard momentarily--:)---A flagon of Glogg on the table, very nice furniture, (practical/ functional--Hmmm got to look that style up),a foot warmer under the table--and a Pretty Lady taking a picture--

What did I miss?--:)

Aj, re Post 5054--did I pass the test?:)

Ran across these the other day---Hmmmm--- and added it to the Project List, right under the Clogs--:) Have everything to do them with.

Tornado hit here about 4A.M--skirted about a mile N--moving NNE--after it passed, opened the bedroom window, and the rain falling on the Tin Deck Roof took me back to when I was a kid at G'Parents house--"The Land of Nod--:D

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 876635)
What about: Der Himmel über Berlin?

This was a pleasant puzzle Aj, in looking it up the light bulb came on after "Wings of Desire" appeared, one further-Years ago I saw "Im Weiter Ferne, so nah"--80's remake---have to scrounge around and find my copy---good one.

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 877907)

Going to search Cabela's today, have two percolaters, but want one like yours-stainless---Fantastic for a Walkabout--:)

We had a fire two weekends ago all day and night, Cherry, it burns twice as long, little residue and puts off the kilocalories!--chuckle I even crack the window in the living room a bit to get that aroma.

Strange weather, here, tornado came thru at 4 A.M. but cut North of me--did some heavy damage about 20 or so miles out.

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 879463)
Mornin', Ax! :)
Dad made my first fishin' pole from the same thing. A Cane Pole it is called.
He also made me a spite wad blowgun from the same thing.
Guess he thought I might practice to join the military instead of taking it to school! LOL :D

Steve

Yep, we used to go cut Fishin Poles bring them home , tie a brick on the small end and hang them up to cure--straight and tempered, all in one.:)

Just found out a week or so ago--no license required to fish with a pole and live bait--

Back When, we used to make a "Rod and Reel"--cane pole, thread spool, big one some scrap metal and coathangers-we got pretty good at it after learning what a nice 2# Catfish could do to scraps and coathangers--chuckle--most of them ended up in the creek--:D

Undaunted, back to the workbench--apply what was learned.:)

Garlicluvr January 23rd, 2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 880395)
Yeah, I hope he is also.

Steve

Steve those restored parlor stoves are Pricey to say the least some beauties the high end ones were very ornate with lots of Nickel trim. I had a coal burning railroad style potbell in the Kitchen of an old place I used to live. The thing had too good of a draft and even dampered down as far as she would go would burn through wood faster that you could feed her. Had to burn coal as it would be a full time job to chop enough small chunks to keep it fed. When you opened her up she would draft so much she would roar like a locomotive and turn the heavy ribbed cast iron bottom a bright cherry red. A mini blast furnace but it would heat up that drafty old kitchen in a hurry.

House was built in the mid to late 1700's and added onto several times had tons of character and of course nothing was straight or plumb anymore. She was built solid though diagonal pine sheathing on the walls with lathe and plaster over that and the support beams/sills, etc were whole logs with the tops flattened and squared but left round on the bottom. Post and beam frame with rough cut lumber beams and wall studs many oak. Built lika a brick #$@# house as my mom would say.

Jeff:D

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 880941)
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.smiles

chuckle:D

Took G'Daughter up to park yesterday, an oak tree (Native , not planted, big)---bumper crop of acorns, and Sprouting!--Had scaley bark--?

Promised Pepper some acorns from here, and also yours for the asking.:)---there is a ton of them!

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 880395)
Yeah, I hope he is also.

Steve

Makes me sleepy just thinking about one, and has to have the rail running around the belly to prop the feet on--;):D