IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle December 22nd, 2011 02:59 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 867748)
yer closing in on 5000 ax.lol

Does that mean my 'Lectricity will be shut off--?!:D

axhandle December 22nd, 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 867787)
Sorry I am a little late on this one, Yes, Reddy, I second Ax's suggestion. Loved your poem, love all of your poems. I believe you could and should share your view of the world with others.

Merry Christmas Ax and All. Smiles as Reddy would say. :)

And to you also, Autumn.
Been a long year ,in some respects,but then again--why rush it?--says I.

I had posted an inquiry as to your whereabouts, a couple months ago--thought you had fallen ill.

BTW--Are all Christmas trees in NM--Sagebrush?!--chuckle--just nipping at you-:D

axhandle December 22nd, 2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867379)
How ,so Mook?--hope nothing serious--let me know--

No card,--got concerned--theft etc.--will go to local P.O. and get it tacked down from this end--Mulga , Al. P.O.

Rest---Ax.

Mook, it's somewhere in Atlanta, got there somewhere, 5th-8th., local P.O. person said they would track it down for me--

Hope the heck you get much better--soon.
Maybe the Holidays will help--take care --Ax.

axhandle December 22nd, 2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867546)
Merry Christmas , Dave--Hard to buy for you, however--here's a Hasselblad, rare--there are about a dozen left on the moon, by our astronauts.

Dean Martin--you are such a hoot , Dave--:)

Got the Halusky done yet?--:D--it's time.

tweed December 22nd, 2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867847)
Does that mean my 'Lectricity will be shut off--?!:D

I thought Reddy was talkin' about RPM's! :D

Steve

Ajla December 23rd, 2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867734)
Chimney drapes,?--Was Gibts?--:)--serious-- in close quarters, able to don the days dress, in modesty--?--tell me, Aj.
I can see a bed canopy--which is of the same material.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...er/th_sint.jpg

This is also by Jan Steen. The alcove and chimney without matching drapes?

tweed December 23rd, 2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 868058)

Mornin', Ajla!
Hey, you guys seem to be interested in art, so I have a question.
I recently picked up a painting at an antiques shop for $68.
I took the painting out of the frame and disccovered, behind the painting part of a New York Evening Sun newspaper, dated 1905 which I think was used as a backing for the painting.
After inquiring online, one lady said that she thought it was a print but was not sure.
She thought it was by a man named Theodore Richardson who was known for painting the Alaskan frontier.
Any way to tell if it is a print or original?

Steve

w8in4dave December 23rd, 2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867869)
Dean Martin--you are such a hoot , Dave--:)

Got the Halusky done yet?--:D--it's time.

Should of made some the other day .... Made homemade chicken noodle soup , brother in law had a hernia surgery. I made the soup and Dave spent the night at his house....

w8in4dave December 23rd, 2011 07:35 AM

got cold last night... I need to get my stealth cam out .... think a mouse came in...Was wondering why the cat was hanging by the back door... hmmmm

Autumn December 23rd, 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867849)
And to you also, Autumn.
Been a long year ,in some respects,but then again--why rush it?--says I.

I had posted an inquiry as to your whereabouts, a couple months ago--thought you had fallen ill.

BTW--Are all Christmas trees in NM--Sagebrush?!--chuckle--just nipping at you-:D

Naw, we had pines and pinons. In the desert in California we did use Smoke Trees for our Christmas trees. Very beautiful decorated. We akso made Bird Cages of a desert flower after it had dried and decorated those. :) You use what you've got, whatever. :):)

Sorry I missed your inquiry, nope, been a good year for health. Got a breathing machine two nights ago, makes a difference in energy. Know you went through that. Did it help? Have a wonderful Happy Holiday.

axhandle December 23rd, 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 868068)
Mornin', Ajla!
Hey, you guys seem to be interested in art, so I have a question.
I recently picked up a painting at an antiques shop for $68.
I took the painting out of the frame and disccovered, behind the painting part of a New York Evening Sun newspaper, dated 1905 which I think was used as a backing for the painting.
After inquiring online, one lady said that she thought it was a print but was not sure.
She thought it was by a man named Theodore Richardson who was known for painting the Alaskan frontier.
Any way to tell if it is a print or original?

Steve

You just may have a prize there, Tweed, what is the subject?(P.M. me)

Richardson--1855-1914--- and the 1905 newspaper give me a clue as to an origional---get it to an appraisor, only they will be able to tell--for sure, the one's on the net I saw--started around $4,000 US and up--

He usually signed his, at the lower left of the painting--T.J. Richardson---

If it is origional--You Lucky Dog!!:)

axhandle December 23rd, 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 867875)
I thought Reddy was talkin' about RPM's! :D

Steve

Chuckle--:)

axhandle December 23rd, 2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 868058)

This getting interesting, Aj.

axhandle December 23rd, 2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 868140)
Naw, we had pines and pinons. In the desert in California we did use Smoke Trees for our Christmas trees. Very beautiful decorated. We akso made Bird Cages of a desert flower after it had dried and decorated those. :) You use what you've got, whatever. :):)

Sorry I missed your inquiry, nope, been a good year for health. Got a breathing machine two nights ago, makes a difference in energy. Know you went through that. Did it help? Have a wonderful Happy Holiday.

Glad to find you in good health--good genes?--:)

Yes, on the breathers--I have the daily type, inhalor which helps the congestion.
And I have the CPAP, which has worked wonders for several years now, if I inadvertantly take it off at night--I can feel a big difference the next morning.

Stayed tired for years, didn't even seem like I'd even been asleep--BP up--etc.
All that by the wayside.

HH's to you also--- I still remember you talking about the canals/ irrigation(youth) you spoke of sometime last year.

Autumn December 23rd, 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 868187)
Glad to find you in good health--good genes?--:)

Yes, on the breathers--I have the daily type, inhalor which helps the congestion.
And I have the CPAP, which has worked wonders for several years now, if I inadvertantly take it off at night--I can feel a big difference the next morning.

Stayed tired for years, didn't even seem like I'd even been asleep--BP up--etc.
All that by the wayside.

HH's to you also--- I still remember you talking about the canals/ irrigation(youth) you spoke of sometime last year.

Glad the inhalator and the CPAP are making the difference. I am finding the same thing, had no idea how much energy I had lost due to tiredness from not sleeping well.

I have to respond to the reference to canals/irrigation. Without the "swimming holes" :) we would not have survived the hot summers in the desert. Spent most of our time in them. Now, they are outlawed. Would not want to be a youth at this time. Wonder what the kids do now??? Don't really want to know, might upset me. Olden days were the good times.

tweed December 23rd, 2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 868178)
You just may have a prize there, Tweed, what is the subject?(P.M. me)

Richardson--1855-1914--- and the 1905 newspaper give me a clue as to an origional---get it to an appraisor, only they will be able to tell--for sure, the one's on the net I saw--started around $4,000 US and up--

He usually signed his, at the lower left of the painting--T.J. Richardson---

If it is origional--You Lucky Dog!!:)

Ax, I bought it on a hunch.
I knew the frame was Art Neauveau (Gilded) and the subject matter (Inlets with two rough sailboats on an inlet with mountains in the background) and it was expertly matted.
I tried to post a pic earlier today but the pic was too large to post.
It is signed in the lower left, Richardson, and the signature is exquisite with clues.
Richardson is signed with sort of an old english R, but not exactly with a dot between the lower part of the legs on the R and the "s" in Richardson looks like an s kinda like the ones used in "SS" frm the Nazi's.
Hope that helps.

Steve

axhandle December 23rd, 2011 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 868344)
Ax, I bought it on a hunch.
I knew the frame was Art Neauveau (Gilded) and the subject matter (Inlets with two rough sailboats on an inlet with mountains in the background) and it was expertly matted.
I tried to post a pic earlier today but the pic was too large to post.
It is signed in the lower left, Richardson, and the signature is exquisite with clues.
Richardson is signed with sort of an old english R, but not exactly with a dot between the lower part of the legs on the R and the "s" in Richardson looks like an s kinda like the ones used in "SS" frm the Nazi's.
Hope that helps.

Steve

Well Tweed your hunch may just have paid off--IMO--

Scuse the kindergarten scketch--attached-- Notice the TJ and R--which is his hallmark--the remainder of R-ichardson is printed in a usual fashion.
Get 'Er to an apparisor--:)---Congrats---Ax.---and let me know--don't let em skunk you--;):)

axhandle December 23rd, 2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 868294)
Glad the inhalator and the CPAP are making the difference. I am finding the same thing, had no idea how much energy I had lost due to tiredness from not sleeping well.

I have to respond to the reference to canals/irrigation. Without the "swimming holes" :) we would not have survived the hot summers in the desert. Spent most of our time in them. Now, they are outlawed. Would not want to be a youth at this time. Wonder what the kids do now??? Don't really want to know, might upset me. Olden days were the good times.

Isn't it something--can't believe ,looking back how much good sleep I lost--Oh, well--it was like an overnight magic wand--

Youth days, then--priceless--I began several days ago drifting back to early '50's--as I said priceless, especially vivid was Turtle Hole-- the swimming hole down on the creek, when drought sat in we'd dam it up---;):)

tweed December 24th, 2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 868359)
Well Tweed your hunch may just have paid off--IMO--

Scuse the kindergarten scketch--attached-- Notice the TJ and R--which is his hallmark--the remainder of R-ichardson is printed in a usual fashion.
Get 'Er to an apparisor--:)---Congrats---Ax.---and let me know--don't let em skunk you--;):)

Mornin', Sir Ax.
I also forgot to include the fact that "Richardson" is follwed by a period, so I am trying to figure out why there is a dot between the legs of the R and then one after the signature?
To be honest, I am unfamiliar with Theodore Richardson and haven't looked for anything on him.
Also, I cannot afford to join places like artnet.com or any of those other sites.
However, I did spot some work by a genmtleman named William Dudley Richardson, who was known for painting in the Italian Alps, was from the UK
(1862-1929).
The boats in the painting I have are of an old world variety, not the type that would have been found in Alaska at the turn of the 20th Century. They are almost like longer gondola's with the sails on one end of the boat. In addition, there is something about the way the mountains are colored/painted/shaded that reminds me of the other works I have seen by William Dudley Richardson but I am not sure if it him or Theodore Richardson's work.
I have pics on the computer, but they aree too big to upload here, although I could try to drag them onto the page, but that might make the particular page just huge. What do you think?
The signature is absolutely "Everything" in identifying this piece of art.
BTW, I don't buy stuff because I think it is worth something, I buy it because I like it. :)

Steve

axhandle December 24th, 2011 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 868408)
Mornin', Sir Ax.
I also forgot to include the fact that "Richardson" is follwed by a period, so I am trying to figure out why there is a dot between the legs of the R and then one after the signature?
To be honest, I am unfamiliar with Theodore Richardson and haven't looked for anything on him.
Also, I cannot afford to join places like artnet.com or any of those other sites.
However, I did spot some work by a genmtleman named William Dudley Richardson, who was known for painting in the Italian Alps, was from the UK
(1862-1929).
The boats in the painting I have are of an old world variety, not the type that would have been found in Alaska at the turn of the 20th Century. They are almost like longer gondola's with the sails on one end of the boat. In addition, there is something about the way the mountains are colored/painted/shaded that reminds me of the other works I have seen by William Dudley Richardson but I am not sure if it him or Theodore Richardson's work.
I have pics on the computer, but they aree too big to upload here, although I could try to drag them onto the page, but that might make the particular page just huge. What do you think?
The signature is absolutely "Everything" in identifying this piece of art.
BTW, I don't buy stuff because I think it is worth something, I buy it because I like it. :)

Steve

We'll solve this riddle yet--:)

Got a couple things to look at in detail on the signature--The period at the bottom of the R --goes after the J., which is replicated in his signatures--the one at the end?

See attached--

Born in Me. spent most of time in Monterrey Peninsula, Ca in the winter, and Alaska summers.

tweed December 24th, 2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 868502)

Got a couple things to look at in detail on the signature--The period at the bottom of the R --goes after the J., which is replicated in his signatures--the one at the end?

See attached--

Born in Me. spent most of time in Monterrey Peninsula, Ca in the winter, and Alaska summers.

Ax? That signature is almost spot on, except there is no J before the R in mine. Man that is fantastic! Let me go back and look.

Steve

tweed December 24th, 2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 868502)

See attached--

Ax? You are a mastermind!
That is it!
The only difference is that The R in my signature seems to have a T in front of the R, although my wife says it is a J.
Good work, man!
Is it the work of Theodore Richardson, as we mentioned before?
Also, the medium and the clarity between the painting I have and the one you posted is night and day different.
But the signature solves it.
Incredible.

Steve

redneckplanter December 26th, 2011 09:13 AM

aewsome.smiles

Garlicluvr December 26th, 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 867559)
Merry Christmas ,Jeff--

U.S. WWII
Soviet, Baltic Fleet
German--Cruiser,,

BTW--"Pen" said to tell you hello--;):)

Thanks Ax, for the holiday wishes and the Pics. Always liked those russian Baltic fleet uniforms.

Hope your holidays went well. Things are very good here just busy with holiday cooking and building Lego sets for my youngest. Weather got a bit cooler here and I had to build a fire the last couple of mornings.

Give my condolences to Pen:D

Cashed in some of my credit card points for a Cabela's gift card and finally ordered my stainless coffee percolator so I will be set for any winter power outages. Also order some Zwickey broad heads just to have around in case I decide to do a little deer hunting or in case TSHTF, doesn't hurt to be prepared. Got a box of 7mm mauser or 7X57 just because the price was right.

I like to buy some here and there for emergency supplies. Have enough pellet gun ammo and .22 rim fires around to take care of all of my pest control and small game hunting for quite some time and I have the bows. Both are also good for just plinking and pleasure shooting.

Got a couple of new hand tools for Christmas, one can never have too many tools.:D

Jeff:)

redneckplanter December 26th, 2011 11:57 PM

on to 5000!
go team go!

redneckplanter December 26th, 2011 11:57 PM

this thread has become an axstitution!grins

axhandle December 27th, 2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 868631)
Ax? You are a mastermind!
That is it!
The only difference is that The R in my signature seems to have a T in front of the R, although my wife says it is a J.
Good work, man!
Is it the work of Theodore Richardson, as we mentioned before?
Also, the medium and the clarity between the painting I have and the one you posted is night and day different.
But the signature solves it.
Incredible.

Steve

With the 1905 newspaper backing, the 's' characteristic, and others you describe--color clarity--etc.--all collective clinchers to me--:)

He did some extremely striking work, maybe one day you can get a pic posted--really like to see it!

Ax

axhandle December 27th, 2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 869015)
Thanks Ax, for the holiday wishes and the Pics. Always liked those russian Baltic fleet uniforms.

Hope your holidays went well. Things are very good here just busy with holiday cooking and building Lego sets for my youngest. Weather got a bit cooler here and I had to build a fire the last couple of mornings.

Give my condolences to Pen:D

Cashed in some of my credit card points for a Cabela's gift card and finally ordered my stainless coffee percolator so I will be set for any winter power outages. Also order some Zwickey broad heads just to have around in case I decide to do a little deer hunting or in case TSHTF, doesn't hurt to be prepared. Got a box of 7mm mauser or 7X57 just because the price was right.

I like to buy some here and there for emergency supplies. Have enough pellet gun ammo and .22 rim fires around to take care of all of my pest control and small game hunting for quite some time and I have the bows. Both are also good for just plinking and pleasure shooting.

Got a couple of new hand tools for Christmas, one can never have too many tools.:D

Went well, thanks--G'Kids all had a good one.
Cabelas has some prime stuff,haven't ordered from them, but friend in Wyoming swears by them.
Zwickey broadheads and 7x57--

Back When-:)--we bought some surplus Mausers, from WWI--$10.00 for a non--sporterized and $15 for a sporterized, ammo $2.00 per hundred.Those things were so worn out, a thousand wonders they didn't blow up or blind us--

Many, many happy days roaming the strip pits all day long.

Tools-- oh absolutely, you bet--my first love---besides Pen--:D

axhandle December 27th, 2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 869207)
this thread has become an axstitution!grins

Got to sign up at RNA--been perusing it--
How was Christmas-?:)

redneckplanter December 27th, 2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 869255)
Got to sign up at RNA--been perusing it--
How was Christmas-?:)

oh you keep teasing me you sweet talker you...smiles
was good..kiddo got a new toy store....smiles
dad got a new set of awesome growlights and gardening stuff.smiles
how did ya'll make out ax?

axhandle December 27th, 2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 869322)
oh you keep teasing me you sweet talker you...smiles
was good..kiddo got a new toy store....smiles
dad got a new set of awesome growlights and gardening stuff.smiles
how did ya'll make out ax?

Did well, moneywise--
Went to an auction before Christmas, and got practically all gifts for about 1/5 the cost."G'Sons a pellet rifle each, me one of those headlights, trailer light set for SIL , 'Missus got some good stuff and only had to go out once to get a few things.

Going back to auction when the Tool Man Cometh--Craftsman, Snap-On etc tools--new--cheap.

The experience of observing the Bidders-Priceless---:D

Glad you and yours had a good one.

Garlicluvr December 27th, 2011 10:45 AM

Ax: I have a nice sporterized 7x57 mauser that I picked up from a local pawn shop when I was 16. Has a nice thumbhole stock of a lighter walnut with rosewood end cap and inlays. For $150 at the time it was a decent pick, mild recoil and reasonably accurate I can get 2" groups at 100 yards and keep them within 5" or so at 200.

It is one of those rifles that is just a pleasure to shoot, nice little deer rifle. The original trigger was awful though so had it replaced with a nice fully adjustable Timney trigger made a world of difference as she had a ton of creep before.

It may have been an Argentine Mauser not sure as I haven't done the research on the proof marks etc. I know the 7x57 was popular with the dutch farmers during the Boer Wars too. The late Jack O,conner liked it too and even some of the early english hunters in Africa used it for hunting antelope and medium sized African game. From what I have read in skilled hands it has even taken Elephant although I wouldn't recommend it for big dangerous game. I would want at least a 375 H&H mag for cape buffalo, rhino, elephant.

axhandle December 27th, 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 869368)
Ax: I have a nice sporterized 7x57 mauser that I picked up from a local pawn shop when I was 16. Has a nice thumbhole stock of a lighter walnut with rosewood end cap and inlays. For $150 at the time it was a decent pick, mild recoil and reasonably accurate I can get 2" groups at 100 yards and keep them within 5" or so at 200.

It is one of those rifles that is just a pleasure to shoot, nice little deer rifle. The original trigger was awful though so had it replaced with a nice fully adjustable Timney trigger made a world of difference as she had a ton of creep before.

It may have been an Argentine Mauser not sure as I haven't done the research on the proof marks etc. I know the 7x57 was popular with the dutch farmers during the Boer Wars too. The late Jack O,conner liked it too and even some of the early english hunters in Africa used it for hunting antelope and medium sized African game. From what I have read in skilled hands it has even taken Elephant although I wouldn't recommend it for big dangerous game. I would want at least a 375 H&H mag for cape buffalo, rhino, elephant.

You have a good one--, Despite Argentine, they were made at "Die Mauserwerks" and sold to Argentina--Military-- later years converted to sporting arms--dealers only bought the best of the lot and shipped them in for conversion.Most likely, yours was in a Home Guard Armory, infrequently shot and the works welled maintained--

Th 7x57 is nothing to sniff at--

axhandle December 27th, 2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 869401)
You have a good one--, Despite Argentine, they were made at "Die Mauserwerks" and sold to Argentina--Military-- later years converted to sporting arms--dealers only bought the best of the lot and shipped them in for conversion.Most likely, yours was in a Home Guard Armory, infrequently shot and the works welled maintained--

Th 7x57 is nothing to sniff at--

Made at "Mauser Werks" sold to Argentina--Ballistics--best-140Gr. PSP--"Core -Lokt"--9.5 Primer--Zero at 200yds--at 100yds +2.2 in., normal.

axhandle December 27th, 2011 12:37 PM

Strill trying to finish up (Amongst others)----'Mogambo', Clark Gable and as I remember Ava Gardner (Cast as a spoiled British ??)--the rifle as I recall was a "Rigby", bolt action somewhere around a .50cal., but not sure--Love "Rigbys"---

axhandle December 27th, 2011 12:46 PM

'Mogambo"--1953--the third star--Grace Kelly-- the best--of the movie--she sure beat Ava out--!

axhandle December 27th, 2011 12:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
C.'53

axhandle December 27th, 2011 01:19 PM

:)Sir Tweed--,

Came across a print, at $2.98, and it is an origional print from the '40's or 50's--British Fellow/artist--came over--painted Yellowstone etc.

Saw an etching by Albrecht Durer' one of the first--auctioned at $4,Million--heck if I would pay that--but some with more money and little ,sense--did--:)

axhandle December 28th, 2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 869413)
Made at "Mauser Werks" sold to Argentina--Ballistics--best-140Gr. PSP--"Core -Lokt"--9.5 Primer--Zero at 200yds--at 100yds +2.2 in., normal.

Jeff,
A light bulb came on last night--re, Argentine Mauser--be sure to check it out thouroughly--there was a 7.65 Argentine cartridge, and possiblebly it is one--researching for you( have to review the Argentine vs 7x57) don't want it to give way on you--

One way to be assured is to cast the chamber--I've had to do it--

Put a cleaning patch down the barrel up to the chamber, lightly oil the chamber then pour in melted parrafin, close bolt and let cool--retrieve cast and compare.

tweed December 28th, 2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 869448)
:)Sir Tweed--,

Came across a print, at $2.98, and it is an origional print from the '40's or 50's--British Fellow/artist--came over--painted Yellowstone etc.

Saw an etching by Albrecht Durer' one of the first--auctioned at $4,Million--heck if I would pay that--but some with more money and little ,sense--did--:)

Ha!
I know just enough about art to be dangerous! :D

Steve

axhandle December 28th, 2011 10:35 AM

Gads, Useless Knowledge 'O 'Tha Day--Two Etchings--prints/---

Caught my eye,--in a back alley, gold foil, rotate them --as usual get the light right--not familiar --but I liked them.--purchased, at .70 Cents , the each.

Research--Etchings, and prints , thereof--Lionel Barrymore--actor in 30's and '40's apparently very skilled at Etchings,--multi talented--

"Nantucket" and "Rocky Point"--I remember Lionel, most oft in the 'Dr. Kildare' series, gruff old Coot, in a Wheelchair-- but knew his trade---Dr Kildare learned a few things--;):)

axhandle December 28th, 2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
---One of My favorites,:

"Rejoice,'O Young Man"
"In Thy Youth"

Ecclesiastes---

I found this once , a broken bottom of a glass, engraved,--had the 25th.Infantry Patch--engraved ,also--really don't know ,--brought it back.

tweed December 28th, 2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 869894)
Gads, Useless Knowledge 'O 'Tha Day--Two Etchings--prints/---

Caught my eye,--in a back alley, gold foil, rotate them --as usual get the light right--not familiar --but I liked them.--purchased, at .70 Cents , the each.

Research--Etchings, and prints , thereof--Lionel Barrymore--actor in 30's and '40's apparently very skilled at Etchings,--multi talented--

"Nantucket" and "Rocky Point"--I remember Lionel, most oft in the 'Dr. Kildare' series, gruff old Coot, in a Wheelchair-- but knew his trade---Dr Kildare learned a few things--;):)

Good story!
You sound like me............ finding something you like......at bargain prices. :D

Steve

Garlicluvr December 28th, 2011 02:53 PM

Ax: you got me curious so did some research on the Mauser, mine appears to be a Belgian made model 98. Writing on receiver as follows 7m/m M. B. Slindee. Then it has a crown with the letter R underneath which means the barrel is rifled, under that is a Lion with the letters P V underneath which means it was manufactured for smokeless powder cartridges, Under that is a carrot or stylized capital A, under that is an oval with a crown on top and thew letters E L G in the oval which means the gun was manufactured in Liege, Belgium.

I hope it is 7x57 as I have owned it for years and fired 100 or more rounds of 7x57 through it. The fired cases have the same dimensions and shoulder angle as the unfired except that the neck is slightly expanded, enough that is slips over a new 7mm bullet without any drag. This may just be manufacturing slop or wear as even my .280 Remington Model 700 which i bought new has some expansion in the neck of the cartridge, some fired cases will slip over a new bullet without any drag and some have burs on the edge that will catch the bullet slightly.

A 7mm bullet won't go in the muzzle end of the barrel, the rifling lands prevent it so 7mm bullet has the right fit in the barrel, a 7.65 would probably be too big.

And the accuracy is pretty good under 2" at 100 yards maybe better with the right ammo, I mostly shot Remington 140 grain factory loads in it did try the 175 grain round nose a long time ago and they shot ok too.

Thanks for the info Ax.

Jeff

axhandle December 28th, 2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 869954)
Good story!
You sound like me............ finding something you like......at bargain prices. :D

Steve

Yep--;)

Anyone needs to wander off in a back alley,- who knows , the Genie in the Bottle-;):D-

axhandle December 28th, 2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 870029)
Ax: you got me curious so did some research on the Mauser, mine appears to be a Belgian made model 98. Writing on receiver as follows 7m/m M. B. Slindee. Then it has a crown with the letter R underneath which means the barrel is rifled, under that is a Lion with the letters P V underneath which means it was manufactured for smokeless powder cartridges, Under that is a carrot or stylized capital A, under that is an oval with a crown on top and thew letters E L G in the oval which means the gun was manufactured in Liege, Belgium.

I hope it is 7x57 as I have owned it for years and fired 100 or more rounds of 7x57 through it. The fired cases have the same dimensions and shoulder angle as the unfired except that the neck is slightly expanded, enough that is slips over a new 7mm bullet without any drag. This may just be manufacturing slop or wear as even my .280 Remington Model 700 which i bought new has some expansion in the neck of the cartridge, some fired cases will slip over a new bullet without any drag and some have burs on the edge that will catch the bullet slightly.

A 7mm bullet won't go in the muzzle end of the barrel, the rifling lands prevent it so 7mm bullet has the right fit in the barrel, a 7.65 would probably be too big.

And the accuracy is pretty good under 2" at 100 yards maybe better with the right ammo, I mostly shot Remington 140 grain factory loads in it did try the 175 grain round nose a long time ago and they shot ok too.

Thanks for the info Ax.

Jeff

Getting interesting, am bouncing back and forth on the Lion/Crown marks--Swedes used a crown, Czechs a lion, as well as other countries.

Sounds as if Liege, Belgium origional manufacturer--PV means smokeless powder --so it's been proofed with smokeless.---one away-:)

Can you post a pic? of the receiver and sights?--

Have encountered many with multiple stamps, went between countries (Captured etc)

Have a Nagant, Star (Tula) 1944/48 meaning made in 44 arsenal refurb, 1948.

Garlicluvr December 28th, 2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870069)
Getting interesting, am bouncing back and forth on the Lion/Crown marks--Swedes used a crown, Czechs a lion, as well as other countries.

Sounds as if Liege, Belgium origional manufacturer--PV means smokeless powder --so it's been proofed with smokeless.---one away-:)

Can you post a pic? of the receiver and sights?--

Have encountered many with multiple stamps, went between countries (Captured etc)

Have a Nagant, Star (Tula) 1944/48 meaning made in 44 arsenal refurb, 1948.

Ax: Will try to get some pics up. I assume B. Slindee may be the gunsmith or company that took the barreled action and sporterized it remember this one has a custom thumbhole stock and sporting rifle type staggered box magazine. No sights had drilled and tapped for scope mounts when I got it. The action and barrel are original military but nothing else is. I had to remove the stock to see all of the marks but they match a description of one I found on the web exactly and that one was a Belgian FN, only thing I didn't see were the letters FN.

It does list caliber as 7 m/m M wit a circle after the M, so I would assume 7mm Mauser.

axhandle December 29th, 2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 869890)
Ha!
I know just enough about art to be dangerous! :D

Steve

Yep, sometimes I shoot my own self in the foot:D
Get that Richardson verified--:)--I have a notion it is an original, and not a print.

axhandle December 29th, 2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 870113)
Ax: Will try to get some pics up. I assume B. Slindee may be the gunsmith or company that took the barreled action and sporterized it remember this one has a custom thumbhole stock and sporting rifle type staggered box magazine. No sights had drilled and tapped for scope mounts when I got it. The action and barrel are original military but nothing else is. I had to remove the stock to see all of the marks but they match a description of one I found on the web exactly and that one was a Belgian FN, only thing I didn't see were the letters FN.

It does list caliber as 7 m/m M wit a circle after the M, so I would assume 7mm Mauser.

Matters are gelling--

Indeed Belgian,---the Lion threw me momentarily, but that is a Nitro-Proof proofmark used after 1924.

ELG---Belgian Proof House.---if there is an E over a star somewhere, its the honcho of the proofs house stamp.

I'm banking on Slindee as being the Gunsmith who converted it.

A very good one---!, learned something new.

Ist year of college I ordered an SVT-40--from Numrich or ??--then just fill the order form out, send the money and in about two weeks delivered.

Also 200 rds of ammunition at $2.00 per hundred--

Package arrived --Tula Arsenal, 1941--the ammo--some of the best 7.62 x54R I have ever seen--Czech Tracer--shot almost all of it up--they are Green instead of red--but saved a box--it's still as good as the day it rolled out of Brno--!--:)

axhandle December 29th, 2011 08:59 AM

"Light"--
Rather ironic, I thought--Three days ago ran across two gold etching prints signed Lionel Barrymore--at anyones -first glance--"Quite Glitzy"--something from a chewing gum wrapper, stuffed into one of those cheapo Document Frames.

Rolled the Dice:@$1.40--chuckle.

Research--Lionel Barrymore, actor was astute in Etchings,(Harder Metal scribe , on softer metal--usually copper) many Gold Foil copies were made off of the original plate.

Albrect Durer is the Master of etchings , IMO, for the last 400 yrs, albeit the subject matter--'Be 'O Questionable Subjects.--:)

axhandle December 29th, 2011 09:11 AM

Etchings--and especially in gold foil--abbsolutely Genious!-- stand in front of one, then move to any side--the picture changes,----simple Physics--!! Light Waves can be bent, channeled, and focused.!!

Lawd, here I go again--reminded of Matters Past--the Optics and Instrumentation--

Before a Grid--there were expensive optics, quartz Prisms, etc--then the Grid-- extremely precise lines on an aluminum plate--thence many prints made from same, the grid could be rotated on the inside of the instrument , to select a particular wavelength of absorption--End result--in coherent terms--chuckle--"Your Blood Glucose is at 120 Mg/dl."

axhandle December 29th, 2011 09:19 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Etching--One is "Rocky Point", the other (No pic) --"Nantucket"

They are taken at the Compass angles-L-R--Up-Down--

There is no Silver in the foil, in natural light all one see's is gold.

tweed December 29th, 2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870332)
Yep, sometimes I shoot my own self in the foot:D
Get that Richardson verified--:)--I have a notion it is an original, and not a print.

Just curious, Sir Ax. What makes you think it is an original? I hope you are right! LOL

Steve

tweed December 29th, 2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870414)
Etching--One is "Rocky Point", the other (No pic) --"Nantucket"

They are taken at the Compass angles-L-R--Up-Down--

There is no Silver in the foil, in natural light all one see's is gold.

Fantastic find, Ax!
Ya know something you can do, Ax?
Go to www.pbs.org
Find the link to Antiques Roadshow
You can find appraisers, per genre, in the drop down boxes or categories.
Hope that helps.

Steve

axhandle December 29th, 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 870508)
Just curious, Sir Ax. What makes you think it is an original? I hope you are right! LOL

Steve

Depiction of Vividness,--as opposed to a "Print"--as I said Caught your learne'd eye,--the 1905 Newspaper--backing---Flat Nails when you took it apart?--dead giveaway--

Garlicluvr December 29th, 2011 02:21 PM

Ax: Pics of the Mauser. Overall both sides

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897730001

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897790001

More detail on receiver area

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897860001

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897870001

Jeff

Garlicluvr December 29th, 2011 02:24 PM

Mauser Part 2 detail of proof marks on receiver and bolt details.

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897820001

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897890001

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897910001

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897920001

Jeff

Garlicluvr December 29th, 2011 02:28 PM

Last group of mauser

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897750001

Close-up of fired and unfired cases.

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897940001

http://gallery.me.com/thedegraffs/10...13251897970001

Garlicluvr December 29th, 2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870338)
Matters are gelling--

Indeed Belgian,---the Lion threw me momentarily, but that is a Nitro-Proof proofmark used after 1924.

ELG---Belgian Proof House.---if there is an E over a star somewhere, its the honcho of the proofs house stamp.

I'm banking on Slindee as being the Gunsmith who converted it.

A very good one---!, learned something new.

Ist year of college I ordered an SVT-40--from Numrich or ??--then just fill the order form out, send the money and in about two weeks delivered.

Also 200 rds of ammunition at $2.00 per hundred--

Package arrived --Tula Arsenal, 1941--the ammo--some of the best 7.62 x54R I have ever seen--Czech Tracer--shot almost all of it up--they are Green instead of red--but saved a box--it's still as good as the day it rolled out of Brno--!--:)

Ax: got any pics of the Nagant or SVT-40?

axhandle December 29th, 2011 03:48 PM

Now thats a Honey!!!--good show Jeff!

Matters Gel, Liege, Belgium, proofed-- M.B. Slindee--convertor---If I didn't know better--a Fajen's Thumbhole stock-- the bolt cocking piece mystifies me yet-- to explore--offset box mag--7mm fantastic!--the sling--one just like it--my favorite the double tongue.

Very good --- the bore and chamber seem good, as the spent cartridge shows--little to no blowback, shoot on Jeff--and pass it on to Kids--it will still go on for many more years--:)

axhandle December 29th, 2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 870669)
Ax: got any pics of the Nagant or SVT-40?

Have to snap a few--l

axhandle December 29th, 2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870677)
Now thats a Honey!!!--good show Jeff!

Matters Gel, Liege, Belgium, proofed-- M.B. Slindee--convertor---If I didn't know better--a Fajen's Thumbhole stock-- the bolt cocking piece mystifies me yet-- to explore--offset box mag--7mm fantastic!--the sling--one just like it--my favorite the double tongue.

Very good --- the bore and chamber seem good, as the spent cartridge shows--little to no blowback, shoot on Jeff--and pass it on to Kids--it will still go on for many more years--:)

Now I recall, the safety(Referred to, by me--"cocking Piece")--Mauser toggle wouldn't work with a scoped arm, so looks like Slindee replaced it with something else--non the less effective--Much reminiscent of the Nagant safety--cocking piece.

Pics later--

Garlicluvr December 29th, 2011 06:31 PM

Ax: Received my Cabela's order with the stainless percolator, well made, zwickey broad heads and a box of PPU Serbian made 7mm Mauser ammo 139 grain soft points appear to be quality stuff. Wanted to try them as they are reasonably priced for 7x57, some of the Remington, Norma, Federal are around $25 to $30 a box these were $15 a box. Still hunting round prices if you wanted to shoot a lot would have to reload them.

The safety on the Mauser works with a scope barely not much clearance. The knurled knob on the end of the bolt is unique on this one, most don't have it.

tweed December 29th, 2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870531)
Depiction of Vividness,--as opposed to a "Print"--as I said Caught your learne'd eye,--the 1905 Newspaper--backing---Flat Nails when you took it apart?--dead giveaway--

Nope.
Not flat nails.

Steve

redneckplanter December 30th, 2011 01:54 PM

cabelas rocks!
smiles

redneckplanter December 30th, 2011 01:55 PM

i just picked up two old gardening related stereo views.smiles
one of a jackfruit tree and another cool one.

redneckplanter December 30th, 2011 01:55 PM

5000 here we come?
lol

Ajla January 1st, 2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 871155)
5000 here we come?
lol

Nah! It's only 2012! Have a good year everyone! :)

tweed January 1st, 2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 871871)

You too, Ajla! :)

Steve

redneckplanter January 1st, 2012 10:52 PM

5000 is soooooooooooooo close.lol

redneckplanter January 2nd, 2012 03:20 PM

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmp.lol
where is sir tender of loined?

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 870756)
Ax: Received my Cabela's order with the stainless percolator, well made, zwickey broad heads and a box of PPU Serbian made 7mm Mauser ammo 139 grain soft points appear to be quality stuff. Wanted to try them as they are reasonably priced for 7x57, some of the Remington, Norma, Federal are around $25 to $30 a box these were $15 a box. Still hunting round prices if you wanted to shoot a lot would have to reload them.

The safety on the Mauser works with a scope barely not much clearance. The knurled knob on the end of the bolt is unique on this one, most don't have it.

I love percolater coffee, it has its own distinct taste and aroma.
G'Parents kept two on the wood stove, His and Hers--G'Father like strong black, hot--G'Mother warm and mild.

Thats good ammo--stock up.--also should be some surplus around for plinking.

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 871871)

Happy belated New Year ,Aj--Found a frontspiece Illustration yesterday, Gretels New Skates--1935.

20's, today--fire tonight!;):D

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 871154)
i just picked up two old gardening related stereo views.smiles
one of a jackfruit tree and another cool one.

Great Uncles stereo disappeard years ago--remember looking at it--had some of wine vinyards, orchards etc--lots of them.

Hmmm--reminds me , have to get my old Magic Lantern out, have a few glass slides , but not many.:)

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 872308)
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmp.lol
where is sir tender of loined?

Here Me--:D

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 870678)
Have to snap a few--l

Will have a few posted today , Jeff--

Garlicluvr January 3rd, 2012 07:46 AM

Sounds good Ax. On a side note pigbomb has not reached Maryland yet. If it had wouldnt mind doing a pig hunt then a pig roast. Either with rifle of bow.

Ajla January 3rd, 2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872603)
Will have a few posted today , Jeff--

Gretel to please! :)

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 09:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 872630)
Gretel to please! :)

"Gretel und Hans"--

I learned something this AM.- and solved another puzzle--, on looking at the Skates --the design particularly the upcurved front--(Clog Pic, have my Poplar Blanks now)

Also--for you, a Face Powder box, from the same era--which I found in proximity--connecting the two--same home, same time--

P.S.--Lift the cover and it plays a tune, whilst putting on the powder--;):)

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 10:03 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872615)
Sounds good Ax. On a side note pigbomb has not reached Maryland yet. If it had wouldnt mind doing a pig hunt then a pig roast. Either with rifle of bow.

Pics

Of most interest--
1.Memorize the Cyrillics on the receiver , one day you will run across one--;)
2.Cartouches on the stock, passed by many a hand, to make sure servicibility.
3. Scope--and sights--/Sight Picture--
3.1--Took Pic Off Center--shows design-- it's off!-- reminds the shooter that he does not have the proper sight picture.(Parallax built in?)--Ingenius.
4.Action smooth as glass--totally different from Field Issue--

Looking into some local contacts on a Pig Bomb Safari--They are Here!--

Garlicluvr January 3rd, 2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872669)
Pics

Of most interest--
1.Memorize the Cyrillics on the receiver , one day you will run across one--;)
2.Cartouches on the stock, passed by many a hand, to make sure servicibility.
3. Scope--and sights--/Sight Picture--
3.1--Took Pic Off Center--shows design-- it's off!-- reminds the shooter that he does not have the proper sight picture.(Parallax built in?)--Ingenius.
4.Action smooth as glass--totally different from Field Issue--

Looking into some local contacts on a Pig Bomb Safari--They are Here!--

Very interesting Ax, was it possibly one of the sniper versions, would explain smoother action and passing through more hands/inspections. Very Nice Indeed

Did the scope come with the rifle or did you add it later? Again the scope suggests a sniper or sharpshooter version.

I will have to pick up a few more boxes of that PPU ammo along with another half dozen Zwickey broadheads, still quality and still razor sharp right out of the box. Forgot to order the glue on tapered adapters so I can use them on the aluminum and carbon arrows with screw in inserts.

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872695)
Very interesting Ax, was it possibly one of the sniper versions, would explain smoother action and passing through more hands/inspections. Very Nice Indeed

Did the scope come with the rifle or did you add it later? Again the scope suggests a sniper or sharpshooter version.

I will have to pick up a few more boxes of that PPU ammo along with another half dozen Zwickey broadheads, still quality and still razor sharp right out of the box. Forgot to order the glue on tapered adapters so I can use them on the aluminum and carbon arrows with screw in inserts.

Came origional, spotted it in a pawn shop--1944--the Cyrillics,as I said-- --Sniper-

Scope--1953--someone pawned it as "Junk"--because they didn't know-- the scope--was the only problem, took it apart to replace the leather washers--well worn--

See--"Enemy at the Gates"--;):)

Garlicluvr January 3rd, 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872699)
Came origional, spotted it in a pawn shop--1944--the Cyrillics,as I said-- --Sniper-

Scope--1953--someone pawned it as "Junk"--because they didn't know-- the scope--was the only problem, took it apart to replace the leather washers--well worn--

See--"Enemy at the Gates"--;):)

Ax: Is that the one about the Russian Snipers in Stalingrad?

Jeff

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872703)
Ax: Is that the one about the Russian Snipers in Stalingrad?

Jeff

Yep----

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872615)

They are here, not 10miles out--down in the areas of dense cover, very smart almost always a Night Hunt--they lay low during the day.

Looking back, to Georgia/Fla., c'72--the Russians--tusks from 3-5inches, mean as hades,black/Red hair--

Eventually communes with domestics, and migration North and NW--thru 'Bama--the ones showing up here have red hair, and all in between, some 5 " tusks showing up--150--300lbs average.

Bolder,park about 15 miles out--they just prance in--feed on whatever , snort at humans--thence in evening leave.
They are very smart--

Two fellows got 4 two weeks ago, one with3" Tusks, barbeque the next day, and a Pig in the Ground, rest wen to needy families.

I fully suspect--by genetics the ones that end up in Md will be 3 ft high, 400+ pounds and at least 5 inch tusks--these ae the Eurasians (Russian)--born to cold country adapt, and thrive.

Meanwhile--probably around 1Million here in 'Bama.

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:42 PM

Plant--Jim Bowies knife was made from a meterorite---

Black Powder:

KNO3--Potassium Nitrate
S--sulfer
Charcoal----Willow 'be 'Tha Best.

Reduce to the finest----seperately.

After applying the Formulae'-mix and dry on a flat sheet-dry-in the sun.

Break up the mess into 'Gauze"--metal strainers which seperate the grains--F,FFg, and FFg the finest,---F is cannon, FFg Rifle, and FFFg is pistol.

Tumble the grains in graphite, till smooth--Package.

Primers are copper cups with mercury fulminate-and others--just a brush all round inside.--careful!!-dry and coat the inside with varnish--thin coat--

Good Shootin!--:)

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 06:45 PM

Autumn--sent you a note Sat--Twilight Zone Marathon, SY FY channel--still going today-- started at '60's and worked on thru.

redneckplanter January 3rd, 2012 09:53 PM

5000 cmon ya'll.smiles

axhandle January 4th, 2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 872943)
5000 cmon ya'll.smiles

The clock will stop at 4,999---:D

Good site, that RNA--looks like a lot of previous posters there.:)

Garlicluvr January 4th, 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872893)
Plant--Jim Bowies knife was made from a meterorite---

Black Powder:

KNO3--Potassium Nitrate
S--sulfer
Charcoal----Willow 'be 'Tha Best.

Reduce to the finest----seperately.

After applying the Formulae'-mix and dry on a flat sheet-dry-in the sun.

Break up the mess into 'Gauze"--metal strainers which seperate the grains--F,FFg, and FFg the finest,---F is cannon, FFg Rifle, and FFFg is pistol.

Tumble the grains in graphite, till smooth--Package.

Primers are copper cups with mercury fulminate-and others--just a brush all round inside.--careful!!-dry and coat the inside with varnish--thin coat--

Good Shootin!--:)

Ax: I didnt know Bowie's knife was made from meteorite iron. Good stuff wouldnt mind finding a chunk or two.

Been looking at black powder revolvers for awhile they just look fun to shoot, the Navy or Army model 44's replica. Something with adjustable sights. Used to have a Cabelas brand hawken in .50 cal was fun and accurate to shoot with patched round balls and about 40 grains of powder. Could shoot her all day with that light load and it was surprisingly accurate with the round balls. Could still get 1 to 1 1/2" groupd at 50 yards, around 3-4" at 100 yards not bad for a round ball. Mine was percussion.

Used a conical bullet and 90 to 100 grains of powder for hunting loads for deer was plenty accurate out to 100 maybe even 150 yards. could getr just over 1" groups at 100.

I wouldnt mind getting a flintlock to play around with. Been looking at the Kentucky rifles in kit form, I also like the Lyman great plains rifle but cant remember if it is available in flint-lock. Havent decided on caliber with .45 or .50 I could hunt deer and plink. The squirrel rifles in .32 or .36 have always intrigued me too though and would be fun target/plinkers and of courser small game and garden pest guns. Not as easy as just pulling out the RWS pellet rifle but I like a challenge and have always liked playing with the more primitive weapons be they flintlock, bow or blowgun.

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 873035)
Ax: I didnt know Bowie's knife was made from meteorite iron. Good stuff wouldnt mind finding a chunk or two.

Been looking at black powder revolvers for awhile they just look fun to shoot, the Navy or Army model 44's replica. Something with adjustable sights. Used to have a Cabelas brand hawken in .50 cal was fun and accurate to shoot with patched round balls and about 40 grains of powder. Could shoot her all day with that light load and it was surprisingly accurate with the round balls. Could still get 1 to 1 1/2" groupd at 50 yards, around 3-4" at 100 yards not bad for a round ball. Mine was percussion.

Used a conical bullet and 90 to 100 grains of powder for hunting loads for deer was plenty accurate out to 100 maybe even 150 yards. could getr just over 1" groups at 100.

I wouldnt mind getting a flintlock to play around with. Been looking at the Kentucky rifles in kit form, I also like the Lyman great plains rifle but cant remember if it is available in flint-lock. Havent decided on caliber with .45 or .50 I could hunt deer and plink. The squirrel rifles in .32 or .36 have always intrigued me too though and would be fun target/plinkers and of courser small game and garden pest guns. Not as easy as just pulling out the RWS pellet rifle but I like a challenge and have always liked playing with the more primitive weapons be they flintlock, bow or blowgun.

Oh,Boy--Meteorites--"Missus and I went down to an old Fort site, Andrew Jackson--c.1812--I hunt like crazy with a metal detector--'Missus --"Doodles About" as usual--picks up a chunk of meterorite--embedded in a bank--where the dozer went thru--

"Missus $3,000"
"Ax--Zero--she does it everytime--:)

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 873035)

BP revolvers--back when--bought a Navy Arms --Colt 44 Army Kit--made by Uberti, Italy--superb.
Doing some gunsmithing at the time, as a diversion--lots of work--pics later that was 30 yrs ago--blued it after much polishing,etc--Deep Blue--only gun that hasn't rusted since I can remember--Nice Helft--natural pointability---it becomes an extension of one's hand , and not the opposite--

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873042)
BP revolvers--back when--bought a Navy Arms --Colt 44 Army Kit--made by Uberti, Italy--superb.
Doing some gunsmithing at the time, as a diversion--lots of work--pics later that was 30 yrs ago--blued it after much polishing,etc--Deep Blue--only gun that hasn't rusted since I can remember--Nice Helft--natural pointability---it becomes an extension of one's hand , and not the opposite--

Find some Pillow Ticking--the old Blue and White stuff---priceless-best patches ever--

Yep, still looking for a 25-32 Cal percussion "Squirrel Rifle",--probably tote it around all day--and never fire a Shot--Another Walkabout, another day in the Forest--Solace, and Priceless--

chickweed January 4th, 2012 09:58 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873042)

I'd go with the .45 Cal--good quality arm (Manufacture)--I stick with Lyman and Uberti of Italy--

Gads--:D--90 grains of FFg--!!:D--back down to about 50 --chuckle.

axhandle January 4th, 2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 873046)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

And so to you, Chick--Have followed your plight, of recent,--lost both my parents before I was 35--I miss them, and think of them each day.

The Frost in Virginia--Time to go to the Taverns of Williamsburg,a fine fire, a smoke, and at least 4 Flagons of brew--;):D

axhandle January 4th, 2012 10:16 AM

Where Is Mook!??-- last post he was ill--Hope he is O.K. now,--bit concerned.

redneckplanter January 4th, 2012 10:17 AM

and so now?

redneckplanter January 4th, 2012 10:18 AM

we count down?

redneckplanter January 4th, 2012 10:19 AM

to magical 5000.