IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle March 14th, 2011 09:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 729106)
Ax: My resident greenhouse wren is back and building a nest. It was nice to see her again.

Was out there building a mini-hotbox for my pepper and tomato starts. Wouldnt pay to heat the whole greenhouse for a couple flats of plants so I build a box of rigid faom insulation with a wood framed lid with clear poly stapled on and heat the whole works with my heat mat. Keeps it above freezing during the cold nights and since I have one of the thermostats for it cuts off when the greenhouse warms up during the day.

Wifes great-uncle used to be in the business ran a nursery selling veggie starts, flowers and landscaping plants. Ran three greenhouses at one time, we inherited the remaining two one of which collapsed in the snow winter of 2009/10. Still have the one full sized arched metal frame house that is pretty much indestrctable except for the poly which is easily replaced. Those bowed quanset type houses are strong. I use it for my woodshop, potting bench, storage and for starting my own veggies.

And a belated Happy Birthday to you Ax.

Jeff:)

You got a prize ,there, Jeff--property--and the property recognizes the "Caretaker"--The Wrens are there to keep an eye on you-

Quonsets--if 'Missus "Would Allow"--chuckle--I'd be living in one--a big one--:)

P.S. Take special care of the Elderberries--most good wine-;)

Garlicluvr March 14th, 2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 729113)
You got a prize ,there, Jeff--property--and the property recognizes the "Caretaker"--The Wrens are there to keep an eye on you-

Quonsets--if 'Missus "Would Allow"--chuckle--I'd be living in one--a big one--:)

P.S. Take special care of the Elderberries--most good wine-;)

Ax: Let me know if you need a few elderberries. Grapenut sent me a bunch of cuttings and it looks like they are all budding now so if I can keep them going and they all root good I have more than I need. I could send you some when they go dormant as bare root plants probably late winter/early next spring.

axhandle March 14th, 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 729108)
Actually I have been meaning to get one Ax ..... Thanks

Chuckle--get a racquet first, and hit yourself on the head--will remind you--:)

Sounds like you are progressing well.

And a Rod and Reel does wonders also--;)

w8in4dave March 14th, 2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 729116)
Chuckle--get a racquet first, and hit yourself on the head--will remind you--:)

Sounds like you are progressing well.

And a Rod and Reel does wonders also--;)

Ohhhh If we could get away and go fishing :D I'd let my splint get stinky for that :D

axhandle March 14th, 2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 729115)
Ax: Let me know if you need a few elderberries. Grapenut sent me a bunch of cuttings and it looks like they are all budding now so if I can keep them going and they all root good I have more than I need. I could send you some when they go dormant as bare root plants probably late winter/early next spring.

Will take you up on that offer--they used to grow wild everywhere when I was growing up--but haven't seen any for a long time now.
Dad always said --"Don't eat the Elderberries"--why?--heck if I know-they were good--

Wondering about Ski, noticed the Passiac River in N.J. has really caused problems, know he is on high ground , but maybe Boxed In.?

axhandle March 14th, 2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 729117)
Ohhhh If we could get away and go fishing :D I'd let my splint get stinky for that :D

Me Too ,Dave time to go catch a 'Chark-- (Shark)--

Will post you a note one day about the Shark Cult , down on the Gulf--talk about stories--One might think they were the origional-- Cap'n Ahab--:)

chickweed March 14th, 2011 11:20 AM

Morning everyone! Happy Birthday, AJLA!!!! Got the old green house torn down yesterday...woot! Bought a tractor....woot! Both parents to the point where most of my time is spent taking care of them or doing fire control on something they have done.....not woot!
Fresh Market is selling dandelion greens for 3.99/bunch.....I need to go harvest my yard!

w8in4dave March 14th, 2011 11:33 AM

Ohhhh my .. no more green house :( I guess if it is not usable Pffttt , Taking care of parents and fire controll is not good :( Is there a new greenhouse in the future??? 3.99 a bunch for dandelion bunch?? LOL are people crazy to buy that stuff at that price?? Yes I'd be harvesting your yard and any house close to you at that price :D Good luck Chick!!

w8in4dave March 14th, 2011 11:38 AM

Well after the dog drama this morning the phone ringing off the hook, I decided to bake cookies it was a small batch I only burned half of them :D Thats ok Dave has to work tonight then has 3 days off so he only needs enuf for 1 night about 8 cookies :D .. My problem I need a thermometer in my oven the number wore off the button so it is a guess at the degree .. Pffttttt I thought I brought one back from up north but , must not have ....

axhandle March 14th, 2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 729180)
Morning everyone! Happy Birthday, AJLA!!!! Got the old green house torn down yesterday...woot! Bought a tractor....woot! Both parents to the point where most of my time is spent taking care of them or doing fire control on something they have done.....not woot!
Fresh Market is selling dandelion greens for 3.99/bunch.....I need to go harvest my yard!

"And ,The Tractor"--??

Fellow across the road plowed up garden with a '47 International, door neighbor 66 Ford--with times apparant, I best go buy a Mil Jeep with attachments--

chickweed March 14th, 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 729200)
"And ,The Tractor"--??

Fellow across the road plowed up garden with a '47 International, door neighbor 66 Ford--with times apparant, I best go buy a Mil Jeep with attachments--

Bought it from the friend that we have been hiring to do work for us with it - he got a bigger one. Ford 1320. 4WD, diesel with four attachments. Bucket, bush hog, box scraper, aerator......Got another good deal (even better than the one we got on the Jag)!

And......I may be getting ducks this summer! They will be bigger than Yoda, so I won't have to worry about him hunting them! Fresh eggs and bug control....for all the tomatoes they can steal!

tweed March 14th, 2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 729213)
Bought it from the friend that we have been hiring to do work for us with it - he got a bigger one. Ford 1320. 4WD, diesel with four attachments. Bucket, bush hog, box scraper, aerator......Got another good deal (even better than the one we got on the Jag)!

And......I may be getting ducks this summer! They will be bigger than Yoda, so I won't have to worry about him hunting them! Fresh eggs and bug control....for all the tomatoes they can steal!

Chickster got a Ford 4WD tractor? Now I'm jealous! :D
OOPS!
BARGAIN ALERT!
Harbor Freight has an aluminum framed, 6x8 greenhouse for $250! It says 299 online but it's 250 at the store. Great deal.

Steve

axhandle March 14th, 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Wink on the Jag, and Ducks know what they are after--;)

Thought post on Dave Cark 5--the Jag -might give a flutter--:)

redneckplanter March 14th, 2011 01:57 PM

pigbomb turned 1000...................awesome...............smile s

axhandle March 14th, 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 729291)

Now you are an Android, I'm in envy--you got a stint--Hang very Loose ,Plant--the World Turns--;):)

Good to see you off the,-- "Table"--Ax.

axhandle March 14th, 2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 729229)
Chickster got a Ford 4WD tractor? Now I'm jealous! :D
OOPS!
BARGAIN ALERT!
Harbor Freight has an aluminum framed, 6x8 greenhouse for $250! It says 299 online but it's 250 at the store. Great deal.

Steve

Uh,Oh--Greenhouse Time--

How Be 'E, Tweed?--:)

axhandle March 14th, 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Got a good one--Fritz- can change the engines in less than a day--'course the Jag won't run as fast---:)

Regards to DH--glad for you both.

Pepper March 14th, 2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

And slug control !!!!

chickweed March 14th, 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 729499)
And slug control !!!!

Yesssss! The slug control was a big consideration. I have been trying to decide between chickens or ducks. The kid that helps in the garden told me that he is incubating the duck eggs and asked if I wanted ducks (and he will help build a shelter). The fact that this young man is raising the ducks....and the massive amount of slugs that they consume - made up my mind for me. And I think ducks would have a better chance of showing Yoda and the vampire cat who is boss!:D

Tweed - thanks for the heads up on the green house. All that is left of my old one now is the shelving.

redneckplanter March 14th, 2011 06:52 PM

i tried to get some other bionic parts but no dice.................grins

w8in4dave March 14th, 2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 729518)

Noooooooo Noooo Bionic parts is not so fun all the time hun!! Huggs!! I am glad your feeling better !!!

tweed March 15th, 2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 729443)
Uh,Oh--Greenhouse Time--

How Be 'E, Tweed?--:)

Me's be good, Sir Ax.....but tired.
What the boss doesn't get out of me, the wife gets what is left. :D
How be you?

Steve

Garlicluvr March 15th, 2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 729514)
Yesssss! The slug control was a big consideration. I have been trying to decide between chickens or ducks. The kid that helps in the garden told me that he is incubating the duck eggs and asked if I wanted ducks (and he will help build a shelter). The fact that this young man is raising the ducks....and the massive amount of slugs that they consume - made up my mind for me. And I think ducks would have a better chance of showing Yoda and the vampire cat who is boss!:D

Tweed - thanks for the heads up on the green house. All that is left of my old one now is the shelving.

Chick: I used to have ducks and really liked them, besides being very good at bug and slug control they have a lot of personality and are soo fun to watch. The way they would carry on after a good rain made nice big puddles for them in the yard, used to sound like duck Mardi Gras. They may look a bit comical and slow with their waddling stride but dont let it fool you when they see a nice grasshopper or june bug watch out they can snap them up faster than you can blink.

Mine used to form a skirmish line fan out across the pasture or wooded area along my creek and start walking and pushing out the bugs and snapping them up. Reminded me of deer or pheasant drives back in Kansas.

They lay pretty well too and are easy to raise. I also had some laying hens for eggs but they didnt free range as much ate bugs too but werent as fun to watch.

axhandle March 15th, 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 729291)

chuckle;):D

axhandle March 15th, 2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 729514)

Chick, slugs love beer--bury about half a can up to top in several places, they are drawn to it and crawl in and drown--it works.

Get some of those Chinese "Knotheads",(ducks) I call them--nothing will come around.

axhandle March 15th, 2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Guess they would have to code it --Elective Surgery--;):D

axhandle March 15th, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 729807)
Me's be good, Sir Ax.....but tired.
What the boss doesn't get out of me, the wife gets what is left. :D
How be you?

Steve

Quite well, and thanks, Sir Tweed.
Weather is very nice , so I plan quite a bit outside now, the Cabin Fever has been particularly bad this season.
Hope to get some resto work done on a couple of Motorcycles this spring--and yard sale some vintage bicycles.
Garden time too!!

Ajla March 15th, 2011 12:02 PM

I cannot keep up with you guys! I'll go back to my digging!

axhandle March 15th, 2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 730029)
I cannot keep up with you guys! I'll go back to my digging!

You can, just some side talk--Happy Birthday--Ax.

RozieDozie March 15th, 2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

:D I could use some bionic joints and muscles. OUCH! Mine hurt from 'tilling and digging.

Kids and Grands are here for Spring Break so we have some good helpers. Got all set to plant peas today, got everything together and went to the pea patch and it started to rain...... So much for pea planting now.....

Enjoy your week. I'll be back when kids are gone. Wish they could stay. :(

axhandle March 15th, 2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 730112)
:D I could use some bionic joints and muscles. OUCH! Mine hurt from 'tilling and digging.

Kids and Grands are here for Spring Break so we have some good helpers. Got all set to plant peas today, got everything together and went to the pea patch and it started to rain...... So much for pea planting now.....

Enjoy your week. I'll be back when kids are gone. Wish they could stay. :(

Planted peas and rain--what more:)--Evenin Rozie--

redneckplanter March 15th, 2011 09:03 PM

they always leave too soon rozie......sighs......
on to 3000 here.......smiles

axhandle March 16th, 2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 730302)
they always leave too soon rozie......sighs......
on to 3000 here.......smiles

How much R&R did they give you Plant?
I know medical advances allow faster recuperation, but sometimes Doc's get a little overzealous in some cases.The hurry, hurry world I guess---and insurance.

Ajla March 16th, 2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 730081)
You can, just some side talk--Happy Birthday--Ax.

Will a quick chat do as side talk? The sun is shining, it's quite warm, no good being inside!

axhandle March 16th, 2011 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well if all comes together--be going down to Gold Camp tomorrow.,weather is great--not too hot nor cold.
Brother and I decided to run a Highbanker (pic attached)--really tough mining--:D--crank it up and shovel dirt into it--

If no Gold then Garnets galore and 'Tha Days 'Outin--really a pretty place and site of a large Native American Village.

Gads, Cabin Fever this year has been bad, to say the least.

axhandle March 16th, 2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 730500)
Will a quick chat do as side talk? The sun is shining, it's quite warm, no good being inside!

Thats for sure Ajla-the temps this week have been in the mid 70's--much rain--4-5"-and slightly overcast--lot's to do!--:)

I know you are glad to see the new season, and --what comes from Ajla's Garden this year?

Ajla March 16th, 2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 730506)
Thats for sure Ajla-the temps this week have been in the mid 70's--much rain--4-5"-and slightly overcast--lot's to do!--:)

I know you are glad to see the new season, and --what comes from Ajla's Garden this year?

So far only greens, but delicious ofcourse! Don't forget your pan this weekend!

axhandle March 16th, 2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 730520)
So far only greens, but delicious ofcourse! Don't forget your pan this weekend!

Got it packed up--:)

Greens---I love Kale, (Siberian)--it just keeps on producing and survives even frost.
Grow any Kohlrabi?--or Brussel Sprouts--I'm envious if you do, the climate here doesn't support either, well at all.

Ran across some of my Trunk Stickers yesterday--one is "Hotel De Roode Leeuw", Amsterdam--

Getting my bicycles out now---best leg excercise and no gasoline!--:)

"Good Digging"---Ax.

chickweed March 16th, 2011 09:24 AM

This is all that is left of the old greenhouse and what is salvagable....I need to get the flotsam and jestsam packed up and out of the weather. We tore it down with everything still inside - because I could not get to anything until it was down. Good news....I will be able to see the peas grow up the trellis from the house, now. (Bad news is that I have not had time to plant them....maybe tomorrow if my parents can behave for a few days.)

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...dens/001-4.jpg

Garlicluvr March 16th, 2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 730501)
Well if all comes together--be going down to Gold Camp tomorrow.,weather is great--not too hot nor cold.
Brother and I decided to run a Highbanker (pic attached)--really tough mining--:D--crank it up and shovel dirt into it--

If no Gold then Garnets galore and 'Tha Days 'Outin--really a pretty place and site of a large Native American Village.

Gads, Cabin Fever this year has been bad, to say the least.

Ax: Glad to hear that you are finally getting out to the gold camp. I know what you mean about the cabin fever.

Supposed to hit high 70's low 80's here friday and I stopped by southern states yesterday and got my seed potatoes so hoping to plant them this weekend. That and I need to remember to do a dormant oil spray on the fruit trees before the buds break. They are swollen some already so I best get it done by the weekend too.

My Mom made it through the surgery welll and everything looks good CAT scan didnt sow any more cancer/growths and it was isolated to the part of the colon they removed. Just waiting for tox test on the growths they removed to find out if they were cancer or not.

axhandle March 16th, 2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 730529)
This is all that is left of the old greenhouse and what is salvagable....I need to get the flotsam and jestsam packed up and out of the weather. We tore it down with everything still inside - because I could not get to anything until it was down. Good news....I will be able to see the peas grow up the trellis from the house, now. (Bad news is that I have not had time to plant them....maybe tomorrow if my parents can behave for a few days.)

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...dens/001-4.jpg

Yard Sale--:D

Got any old Alchemy stuff there, Chick--I know a fellow who goes by the name of Ax.;):)

I know you have a Load on you,--parents and all--a few weeks of Sunshine, a walk in the Forest--I always found Solace.

Hang In---Ax.

axhandle March 16th, 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 730537)
Ax: Glad to hear that you are finally getting out to the gold camp. I know what you mean about the cabin fever.

Supposed to hit high 70's low 80's here friday and I stopped by southern states yesterday and got my seed potatoes so hoping to plant them this weekend. That and I need to remember to do a dormant oil spray on the fruit trees before the buds break. They are swollen some already so I best get it done by the weekend too.

My Mom made it through the surgery welll and everything looks good CAT scan didnt sow any more cancer/growths and it was isolated to the part of the colon they removed. Just waiting for tox test on the growths they removed to find out if they were cancer or not.

My encouragement is your mention of In Situ--Path Reports 3-5 days--only the Microscope has the final say--am guessing Polyps,--Benign--Chin Up!

axhandle March 16th, 2011 12:23 PM

People in Japan, --ORNL, in Tenessee and NASA in Huntsville, Alabama are working overtime to help with the Radiation, Guam and Okinawa--on the job--

I can give back a slogan(Japanese), learned long ago,and lived by it ---"Hard Work"--

chickweed March 16th, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 730537)

Praying for your mother!

axhandle March 16th, 2011 06:07 PM

Three comments, Re:--CCD Colony Collapse Disorder--The Bee's:
1.Natural parasites, Red Mites.
2.Pesticides that suppress the bee's natural immune system and ultimately their demise.
3.Humans that destroy the Hand that Feeds Them.

Last 5yrs, Bee Colonies have declined by 33%--10 yrs ago plenty, saw three last year, and only one so far.

Ask the Question--"Where are the Bee's?"--everbody turns their heads and starts mumbling--

Garlicluvr March 17th, 2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 730715)
Praying for your mother!

Thanks for your prayers all. She is doing quite well looks like they got it in time.

Garlicluvr March 17th, 2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 730811)
Three comments, Re:--CCD Colony Collapse Disorder--The Bee's:
1.Natural parasites, Red Mites.
2.Pesticides that suppress the bee's natural immune system and ultimately their demise.
3.Humans that destroy the Hand that Feeds Them.

Last 5yrs, Bee Colonies have declined by 33%--10 yrs ago plenty, saw three last year, and only one so far.

Ask the Question--"Where are the Bee's?"--everbody turns their heads and starts mumbling--

Ax:Part of the reason I went as natural or organic as possible. I dont like things like broad spectrum insecticides that kill everything who knows what the long term effects may be. Aslo dont use herbicide, prefer mulch and old fashioned pulling/cultivating. Mulch is my friend (saves me a **** of a lot of work anyhow:D)

I like my bees all kinds, bought some of the mason bee kits to put out. When you garden and have a home orchard you know just how important bees are.

axhandle March 17th, 2011 08:36 AM

I'm rather concerned here, been noticing lack of same for 5-6 yrs now--there are other pollinators, but I like my Bee's.

I live rural, not a huge Ag area one might expect lots of pesticides,----they have disappeared--I never use pesticides---makes one wonder about air quality and neutralization of the compounds.

P.S.--On the way to Gold Camp here in about another hour--expect to be cranking up a Highbanker about 10:30 or 11.---Take care ,and regards to Mom---Ax.

w8in4dave March 17th, 2011 08:47 AM

Morning E1 :D

axhandle March 17th, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 731260)
Morning E1 :D

Mornin Dave--going to 78 here today.

How is that Wheel project going ,last mention you were sandblasting it?

w8in4dave March 17th, 2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 731264)
Mornin Dave--going to 78 here today.

How is that Wheel project going ,last mention you were sandblasting it?

Not done yet ... Ax I think that was about the time hubbs decided to start working on the greenhouse again .... So I quit and started helping him .... well we all know where that ended but we are supposed to be up to 55 here today and a lil bit of sun coming in :D I stand corrected they said 68* whoo hoo!!

axhandle March 17th, 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 731267)
Not done yet ... Ax I think that was about the time hubbs decided to start working on the greenhouse again .... So I quit and started helping him .... well we all know where that ended but we are supposed to be up to 55 here today and a lil bit of sun coming in :D I stand corrected they said 68* whoo hoo!!

You'll have a heat stroke there, Dave at 68:D

Brother and I going gold mining here shortly, be in and around the creek most of the day.(Throwing my Fly Rod in too)I expect to come back--very sore--

chickweed March 17th, 2011 09:09 AM

Top of the day, All! Going green today....like everyday - not just wearing it!

w8in4dave March 17th, 2011 09:10 AM

Good luck Ax with the gold and the fishing :D I am sure I'll be sore also... Don't worrie our 68 is colder than yours... Air is still cool and the ground is still cool ... wind chill factor and all ... MAby sweatshirt or a light jacket ... The first few warm days are nice just not as nice as yours :D

w8in4dave March 17th, 2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 731279)
Top of the day, All! Going green today....like everyday - not just wearing it!

Ohhh yes I have to make my Corned Beef today :D Got it for 1.99 a lb at Krogers the other day :D

chickweed March 17th, 2011 09:30 AM

There were two big corned beefs in the fridge last night...they and a crockpot are no longer around. Must remember to kiss my husband for taking them to work, so I won't smell them! For those that like it....Bon Apetit!

Ajla March 17th, 2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 730528)
Got it packed up--:)

Greens---I love Kale, (Siberian)--it just keeps on producing and survives even frost.
Grow any Kohlrabi?--or Brussel Sprouts--I'm envious if you do, the climate here doesn't support either, well at all.

Ran across some of my Trunk Stickers yesterday--one is "Hotel De Roode Leeuw", Amsterdam--

Getting my bicycles out now---best leg excercise and no gasoline!--:)

"Good Digging"---Ax.

I seem to grow mainly what I cannot find on the market.
Were you there in the red lion with your trunk?

w8in4dave March 18th, 2011 08:41 AM

So how was the gold digging and fishing Ax? Morning everyone :D I cannot stay on long going to have my Gkids over well the kids to... So have to pick up my daughter today and go pick up some ribs and chicken for dinner :D and the potatoes my son in law loves so well LOL ... Going to be another nice day out today ..48 out now but only getting warmer .. Whoo Hoo!!

lalbers March 18th, 2011 05:16 PM

Got two truckloads of horse manure.....AND both hubs kids are here to help spread it around!!!

w8in4dave March 18th, 2011 11:26 PM

So Ax was sore from all the gold diggin I guess ... Hope your ok Ax ... MAby you spent the day cleaning all them fish you caught??

Garlicluvr March 20th, 2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 732229)
So Ax was sore from all the gold diggin I guess ... Hope your ok Ax ... MAby you spent the day cleaning all them fish you caught??

I didn't know Ax was a gold digger.:D

He may have stayed a few days or just be busy.

Morning all.

I got quite a bit accomplished yesterday planted twenty pounds of potatoes and the rest of my onions, plus a few radishes and beets. Tilled a new small garden plot then took the boys to the movies.

w8in4dave March 20th, 2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 732897)
I didn't know Ax was a gold digger.:D

He may have stayed a few days or just be busy.

Morning all.

I got quite a bit accomplished yesterday planted twenty pounds of potatoes and the rest of my onions, plus a few radishes and beets. Tilled a new small garden plot then took the boys to the movies.

He said he was going to go digging for gold and take his pole with him :D Now we know he is a gold digger lol ... You know it is my job to worrie , I do it very well I have grey hairs to show it! If there is nothing to worrie about I will find something :D
Wow you were busy :D I love that kind of busy!! Out of curiosity what movie did you see?? Mars needs moms?? I want to see that but some say it's not that great ..Some on tv anyway ....

chickweed March 20th, 2011 11:20 AM

Don't fret, Miss Wendy....Ax walks to his own drumbeat. He will be back with lots of stories, and maybe even a few fish!

Garlicluvr March 20th, 2011 12:09 PM

The boys wanted to se Rango they liked it but the wife and I didn't think it was very good. They saw ghostbusters for the first time the other day and now my five year old is running around saying "Who are you gonna call" LOL:D

w8in4dave March 20th, 2011 03:57 PM

LOL Thats funny Jeff!! When my two yr. when the cart fell the other day with my grandson it it...We get in the store and he said he wanted to "pop another wheelie" All I thought was .. I was glad he wasn't hurt, but outta the mouths of babes :D

axhandle March 21st, 2011 07:45 AM

"Back in the Barn"--a few early morning chores to do, be back later on this morning.
Got some pics of the 'Walkabout"--

RozieDozie March 21st, 2011 08:44 AM

Looking forward to the pictures, Ax.

Good Morning; it's cloudy here but the birds are singing. Laundry and yard work are on my agenda for today. At least I don't have to wash the clothes in the yard like my Grandmother did, although I will hang some on the line if the sun comes out.

I loooove the good smell of sheets and pillowcases hung on the line in the sun.

Garlicluvr March 21st, 2011 09:21 AM

Morning Ax and Rosie: Scattered showers and thunderstorms here this morning but the timing is perfect as I got my potatoes and the rest of my onions planted over the weekend plus a few radishes and beets. The rain will get them sprouting and give my peas and onions that are already up a boost too.

Asparagus spears have started poking their noses out of the dirt but still a bit slow and cautious like. I might have one or two ready to cut tonight. Think it is just now getting warm enough for their liking. But once they really start growing lookout those things can grow overnight.

axhandle March 21st, 2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 733729)

Good Morning; it's cloudy here but the birds are singing. Laundry and yard work are on my agenda for today. At least I don't have to wash the clothes in the yard like my Grandmother did, although I will hang some on the line if the sun comes out.

Rozie,
You just brought back some fond memories.
G'Mother washed G'Dads work clothes, sheets and pillowcases seperate, in the proverbial--"Iron Kettle"(outside with a hot fire underneath) and Octagon soap.He was a Coal Miner.

When those clothes came off the line, after a warm breezy day I'd help her bring them in just to get to smell them.--besides that, a Dime brought me a "Drink and a Cake"--down at the Stand.

Anyone who has never done this, has lost part of life.--

It's been beautiful here for a week---

Garlicluvr March 21st, 2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 733729)

I remember helping my grandmother take the clothes off of the line too Ax/Rosie fond memories and an unforgettable smell, one of those simple pleasures in life.

Looking forward to the pictures Ax.

axhandle March 21st, 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 733749)
Morning Ax and Rosie: Scattered showers and thunderstorms here this morning but the timing is perfect as I got my potatoes and the rest of my onions planted over the weekend plus a few radishes and beets. The rain will get them sprouting and give my peas and onions that are already up a boost too.

Asparagus spears have started poking their noses out of the dirt but still a bit slow and cautious like. I might have one or two ready to cut tonight. Think it is just now getting warm enough for their liking. But once they really start growing lookout those things can grow overnight.

Mornin, Jeff

A good start on the crops, Asparagus--envious--had a bed at the old place-that thrived--still there I surmise.

The only sp. here is ?Martha Washington?--forgot--what do you recommend?--
I love Asparagus.

axhandle March 21st, 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 733752)
Rozie,
You just brought back some fond memories.
G'Mother washed G'Dads work clothes, sheets and pillowcases seperate, in the proverbial--"Iron Kettle"(outside with a hot fire underneath) and Octagon soap.He was a Coal Miner.

When those clothes came off the line, after a warm breezy day I'd help her bring them in just to get to smell them.--besides that, a Dime brought me a "Drink and a Cake"--down at the Stand.

Anyone who has never done this, has lost part of life.--

It's been beautiful here for a week---

Forgot--went to hardware store Saturday, for the first time--they had Cherokee Purple tomato plants--Oh, Boy --am Excited--G'Son bringing me some more Walking Onion sets,all we all need now is a "Pig in the Ground" for a Luau and a Fandango---:D

w8in4dave March 21st, 2011 09:44 AM

Theres Ax... I was starting to get worried you found gold took you along time to get it to the bank or you were just busy cleaning all them fish you just didn't have time..
It is 50 outside right now :D To bad it rained all night lastnight and everything is soaked but hey It is 50 out right now :D

Garlicluvr March 21st, 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 733756)
Mornin, Jeff

A good start on the crops, Asparagus--envious--had a bed at the old place-that thrived--still there I surmise.

The only sp. here is ?Martha Washington?--forgot--what do you recommend?--
I love Asparagus.

Martha Washington is a fine asparagus I actually bought some seeds for it from BC this year need to find a place to sow them. My three year old bed was Jersey Knight an I like it well enough this will be my first year getting a full harvest so will know more after this spring/summer. I planted a new bed last year in Purple Passion havent tried any yet but have heard good things about it. I may sample one or two this year but have to let most of them fern out and get more established.

w8in4dave March 21st, 2011 10:03 AM

I also have some I have to get more established Jeff .. Last year I was so excited they came up..My Neice had a really long row of it when she moved into her new house (they hate the stuff) so she would give it to us, Well they decided they didn't want to bother anymore so they gave it all away to one of her husbands friend of a friend ... I was so disappointed she din't give any of them to us!! But thats ok I planted me some :D

axhandle March 21st, 2011 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 733758)
Theres Ax... I was starting to get worried you found gold took you along time to get it to the bank or you were just busy cleaning all them fish you just didn't have time..
It is 50 outside right now :D To bad it rained all night lastnight and everything is soaked but hey It is 50 out right now :D

Dave,

Did well on both counts--+ $100.00 on the gold,(even after expenses), four Bream (Keepers cooked for Supper--fire, iron skillit back at camp) and two Trout(let them go back).

Brother and I worked steady on the highbanker for four hrs, then broke the fishin gear out and "Hit 'Tha Creek"--;) already wet from the highbanker, and surpriseingly enough--not the least bit sore--

w8in4dave March 21st, 2011 10:15 AM

Beautiful Pic AX I may put that on my desktop for a while ... I am glad you made $ that had to be fun!! What a beautiful spot to go to! Sounds like a wonderful time and your not sore!! Maby next time you can overdo it :D Ok well I have got to get my hiney to the post office and do some screamin so TTYL :D

axhandle March 21st, 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 733772)
Martha Washington is a fine asparagus I actually bought some seeds for it from BC this year need to find a place to sow them. My three year old bed was Jersey Knight an I like it well enough this will be my first year getting a full harvest so will know more after this spring/summer. I planted a new bed last year in Purple Passion havent tried any yet but have heard good things about it. I may sample one or two this year but have to let most of them fern out and get more established.

Read on Purple Passion, should do very well there, Jeff---as a side note- at the old place --planted in a mixed mulch and red clay sandy soil, on a slope(?natural fill in)--only other variable was an underground spring, about 10 ft down--course I'm Sub-Tropical here.

axhandle March 21st, 2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 733791)
Beautiful Pic AX I may put that on my desktop for a while ... I am glad you made $ that had to be fun!! What a beautiful spot to go to! Sounds like a wonderful time and your not sore!! Maby next time you can overdo it :D Ok well I have got to get my hiney to the post office and do some screamin so TTYL :D

Feel free to do so--have some more--by the time you get back--:)

axhandle March 21st, 2011 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"The Environs"

skiracer March 21st, 2011 11:22 AM

Ax,
that creekbed is something right out of currier and ives. i can just picture someone with their back up against a tree, one leg up over the other, straw hat pulled down over his corn cob pipe and a bamboo pole with a red and white boobber on the end of the line just floating on the water.
Beautiful spot.

axhandle March 21st, 2011 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Mr. Tree"-- "It's Spring!!"

--on the way back to the camp

axhandle March 21st, 2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 733825)
Ax,
that creekbed is something right out of currier and ives. i can just picture someone with their back up against a tree, one leg up over the other, straw hat pulled down over his corn cob pipe and a bamboo pole with a red and white boobber on the end of the line just floating on the water.
Beautiful spot.

Ski,

Good to hear from you , sure beats jumping on a company of NVA with even a full compliment of a 1,000 rounds each---;)--Hang In---Ax.

Ajla March 21st, 2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 733819)
"The Environs"

Glad you had a good time!

axhandle March 21st, 2011 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 733853)

For You--I took the pic yesterday--the only one that came up after planting a year ago---The background is Rosemary--rather thrives here as mine is growing out of concrete, the stem is about an inch now-

Die Winde--dans, Cometh--:)

Ajla March 21st, 2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 733868)
For You--I took the pic yesterday--the only one that came up after planting a year ago---The background is Rosemary--rather thrives here as mine is growing out of concrete, the stem is about an inch now-

Die Winde--dans, Cometh--:)

Lovely! I saved that! Tulips need the cold, when the winters are very mild, they hardly bloom at all.

chickweed March 21st, 2011 12:32 PM

Wonderful pictures, Ax! Glad you had a great time! Hubs didn't put my car key back on the hook yesterday, and I just found it - in the washer after the second load of laundry. (At least it is not outside somewhere - he was on the tractor for hours and I looked outside forever this morning). Since I missed my field trip ....I am going to get in my field and plant some peas! Later, gater!

axhandle March 21st, 2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 733853)

I have to thank you ,Ajla---Roode--escaped me (Red),also I should have recognized Lowve---

Ajla March 21st, 2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 733877)
I have to thank you ,Ajla---Roode--escaped me (Red),also I should have recognized Lowve---

But were you there?

axhandle March 21st, 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 733873)
Wonderful pictures, Ax! Glad you had a great time! Hubs didn't put my car key back on the hook yesterday, and I just found it - in the washer after the second load of laundry. (At least it is not outside somewhere - he was on the tractor for hours and I looked outside forever this morning). Since I missed my field trip ....I am going to get in my field and plant some peas! Later, gater!

Uh, Oh--clean out the Blue Jeans--:)--Regards to Hubs,I know he is in Hog Heaven right now with the-- SitRep---some Haluski and Pagachi always put the fight back in one--;)

RozieDozie March 21st, 2011 01:02 PM

Beautiful pictures, Ax. We live on a 'gold bearing' creek, or so they say. You need a permit to pan and we haven't gotten around to it. There used to be a big gold mine not far from me; actually, it's still there, just not active.

I sure do remember that old wash pot and wish I had the one they used to use, but it's long gone now.

Jeff, I have 100 asparagus crowns in damp peat waiting for us to finish the raised beds. I ordered Mary Washington (there is a Martha, too), and Purple passion. I'm also planting seed, hoping to have enough for market, eventually.

The sheets are flapping in the breeze and I'm taking a break. This is glorious weather!

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 733872)
Lovely! I saved that! Tulips need the cold, when the winters are very mild, they hardly bloom at all.

Another pic, Aj--planted 6 two yrs ago and this one is the strongest--only survivor.Have to wait till next Jan, and I will plantmore--good ones are hard to find here.

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 733873)

Missus washed my keys once, thought it had ruined the controller--they are waterproof I found out.
Field trip?

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 733896)
Beautiful pictures, Ax. We live on a 'gold bearing' creek, or so they say. You need a permit to pan and we haven't gotten around to it. There used to be a big gold mine not far from me; actually, it's still there, just not active.

I sure do remember that old wash pot and wish I had the one they used to use, but it's long gone now.

Jeff, I have 100 asparagus crowns in damp peat waiting for us to finish the raised beds. I ordered Mary Washington (there is a Martha, too), and Purple passion. I'm also planting seed, hoping to have enough for market, eventually.

The sheets are flapping in the breeze and I'm taking a break. This is glorious weather!

There be Gold in the creek!--get with it--$1400/oz.
Door neighbor hangs clothes out every morning,never fails---the weather is beautiful!!!

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 08:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Few more pics from Walkabout--
1."Another adventure around each bend of the road"
2."Vanished America"--three pics--old theatre from 40's '50's--

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 733883)
But were you there?

I wish, Aj--I have my Steamer Trunk tho--:)
Also another sticker--Hotel Pension Noordzee, Noordwijk AAN Zee.
Have you been to either?--the Roode Leeuw looks like my kind of place--

w8in4dave March 22nd, 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 734527)
Few more pics from Walkabout--
1."Another adventure around each bend of the road"
2."Vanished America"--three pics--old theatre from 40's '50's--

Nice pics ax .. I guess thats when it started our fascination with "BIG" flat screens Ohhh no that was drive ins :D

w8in4dave March 22nd, 2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 733872)

My mom used to put the bulbs in the freezer when we lived in Ca. As a child I thought it was weird... I have some popping thru the ground as well as some other spring bulbs as we speak :D

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 734565)
Nice pics ax .. I guess thats when it started our fascination with "BIG" flat screens Ohhh no that was drive ins :D

I really miss the Driveins, especially the All-Night one's.
Many ,many happy days, as a kid, we'd go and I would get out and lie on the fender of the car, the engine heat kept me warm--

"Lets' all go to the lobby, and get ourselves a treat"

Dime popcorn and coke and a nickle bar of candy---for $3.00 one could have a big "Date".

axhandle March 22nd, 2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 734566)
My mom used to put the bulbs in the freezer when we lived in Ca. As a child I thought it was weird... I have some popping thru the ground as well as some other spring bulbs as we speak :D

Going to do that this time, Dave--it was the survivor--rather fond of that shade too.
Some wildflowers out by the driveway purple ones--they are all over the yard--tomorrow planting wildflower seeds out by the drive--love wildflowers.