IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle February 15th, 2011 08:03 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Door neighbor (80 yrs old) came over the weekend, he has a trailor that was made from a Model A Ford truck--(1928-31)it's intact--bed, differential, shaft axles, springs the whole thing.
Said he didn't need it, wanted me to research and sell it for him, split the cash.

It's been interesting,:

Replacement bed--New--$600.00,Ring and Pinion--New-$625.00--on and on--

So far I have only found one origional, just the bed, no running gear--on E bay starting bid $225.00!

Gads, I've lost track--there's Gold in them 'Thar Hills!, and I look back to the days when one could get a good 49-51 Ford sedan for $100.00 just about any day of the week--

The Motorhead is coming back out in me, again, no telling what will emerge in the next week or so.:)

Ajla February 15th, 2011 10:02 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Thanks for the card Ax! Did you notice Dave is a Kroon fan too? I had computer problems, then I don't always manage to log in here, and next week I'll be in Chartres again. But...... I'll keep trying!

axhandle February 15th, 2011 10:46 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I really liked the Tulip Fields, point of fact, Tulips are my favorite.

Glad to hear from you , thiught you may have fallen off the roof putting tar on the chimney--which I have done:)

A bit of a notion, Chartres', could you take a pic or so of some things others might not see?

I already have it framed--Zeiss Ikon, 6 Cm. Agfa and the Czech B&W Film--a breakfast at 6A.M., wait for the fog to lift, and the first light---

axhandle February 15th, 2011 03:22 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 711608)
Thanks for the card Ax! Did you notice Dave is a Kroon fan too? I had computer problems, then I don't always manage to log in here, and next week I'll be in Chartres again. But...... I'll keep trying!

Glad to hear from you , Ajla--however so infrequent--maybe you, i ,and Dave can get a Kroon Consortium going--;) as you know --I'm In--Dave has to get some wrist surgery done --I wander about, and only you know the workings of same--;)

Sounds like a Sound Idea--:)

w8in4dave February 15th, 2011 09:49 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Yes I have surgery done at 7 am tomorrow the 16th at 7 am...Yes I love tulip fields , I love windmills!!! :D sighhh I have to be at the hosp at 6 am..that is the butt crack if you ask me lol.. I do not do mornings well , specially if I cannot have my tea! Pffttt!

w8in4dave February 15th, 2011 09:51 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 711526)
Door neighbor (80 yrs old) came over the weekend, he has a trailor that was made from a Model A Ford truck--(1928-31)it's intact--bed, differential, shaft axles, springs the whole thing.
Said he didn't need it, wanted me to research and sell it for him, split the cash.

It's been interesting,:

Replacement bed--New--$600.00,Ring and Pinion--New-$625.00--on and on--

So far I have only found one origional, just the bed, no running gear--on E bay starting bid $225.00!

Gads, I've lost track--there's Gold in them 'Thar Hills!, and I look back to the days when one could get a good 49-51 Ford sedan for $100.00 just about any day of the week--

The Motorhead is coming back out in me, again, no telling what will emerge in the next week or so.:)

Wow Ax sounds like you and the neighbor will be bringing it in.. Whoo hoo.. just get your money for shipping.. or were you just checking out the prices?? Good deal tho ..your a nice neighbor :D

RozieDozie February 16th, 2011 07:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 712013)
Yes I have surgery done at 7 am tomorrow the 16th at 7 am...Yes I love tulip fields , I love windmills!!! :D sighhh I have to be at the hosp at 6 am..that is the butt crack if you ask me lol.. I do not do mornings well , specially if I cannot have my tea! Pffttt!

Saying a prayer for you, Wendy. Keep us posted.

RozieDozie February 16th, 2011 07:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 711639)
I really liked the Tulip Fields, point of fact, Tulips are my favorite.

Glad to hear from you , thiught you may have fallen off the roof putting tar on the chimney--which I have done:)

A bit of a notion, Chartres', could you take a pic or so of some things others might not see?

I already have it framed--Zeiss Ikon, 6 Cm. Agfa and the Czech B&W Film--a breakfast at 6A.M., wait for the fog to lift, and the first light---

:)

axhandle February 16th, 2011 07:14 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 712013)
Yes I have surgery done at 7 am tomorrow the 16th at 7 am...Yes I love tulip fields , I love windmills!!! :D sighhh I have to be at the hosp at 6 am..that is the butt crack if you ask me lol.. I do not do mornings well , specially if I cannot have my tea! Pffttt!

I forgot Dave, NPO for you tomorrow --it definately will be an ordeal for you.
Going outside today and do a NA Wellness/Luck Dance for you--:)

This is you Post-Op--:)

axhandle February 16th, 2011 07:20 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 712180)
:)

Mornin, Rozie--got your 'Damaters sprouted yet--Think I'll try some Krims this year in addition to the usual Rutgers.
next door neighbor has a greenhouse and gets stuff going early-one heck of a fellow and a real gardener still, at 80yrs old--he can outwork three of a third his age.--
Mid to upper 60's all week very nice days.

skiracer February 16th, 2011 07:22 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
hope everything goes well for you this morning wendy. sending positive energy and support.

axhandle February 16th, 2011 07:30 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Dave, usually people send flowers to someone in the hospital--here's some for you.
Tulip Field

chickweed February 16th, 2011 07:34 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Sending healing vibes to Wendy! Luv you, Sweetie!

axhandle February 16th, 2011 10:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Chuckle-- had a chuckle just now--truck pulls in to my driveway blows the horn 5 times, before I got outside they were in the middle of the main road--stopped--backed up --

Want to sell that truck?

Mebbe, a Thousand might do it.

Fellow on the passenger side with a toothpick in his mouth saw the Makarov in my pocket--"Would you take 6 hundred?

"Keep arguing with me and the price goes to $1500, driver says oh yea we gonna be back"

Best you didn't, don't honk your horn in my driveway asking something for nothing.

Civil discussion, yes--I already knew these guys are Pirating the neighborhood--at their igmo peril"

We got guns that shoot real bullets , and we know when to use both--;)

Just another day in 'Bama.:)

Garlicluvr February 16th, 2011 11:39 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Dave: Sending some positive thoughts your way also.


Ax: Decent weather here for February cant complain. Even looks like I may get my peas planted before the month is over. They always produce much better the years I can get them in by February or early March. Gives em a chance to beat the heat. Once it starts getting hot they are done.


Jeff:)

w8in4dave February 16th, 2011 06:53 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 712195)
Dave, usually people send flowers to someone in the hospital--here's some for you.
Tulip Field

How beautiful Ax TY .....

w8in4dave February 16th, 2011 06:58 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
TY E1 ...Surgery went well they had to re break it because it was healed... But I didn't get sick to my stomach of nothing....I did really good..yes I have a splint but cannot take the darned thing off!!! Nag dab it!! I was hopping!! but we got pics ..I don't have a scanner but I can take a pic of the pic that they gave up...nothing gross no worries just thought you'd like to see..later tho :D

redneckplanter February 16th, 2011 08:50 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 712344)
Dave: Sending some positive thoughts your way also.


Ax: Decent weather here for February cant complain. Even looks like I may get my peas planted before the month is over. They always produce much better the years I can get them in by February or early March. Gives em a chance to beat the heat. Once it starts getting hot they are done.


Jeff:)

GOOD LUCK............

redneckplanter February 16th, 2011 08:51 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 712289)
Chuckle-- had a chuckle just now--truck pulls in to my driveway blows the horn 5 times, before I got outside they were in the middle of the main road--stopped--backed up --

Want to sell that truck?

Mebbe, a Thousand might do it.

Fellow on the passenger side with a toothpick in his mouth saw the Makarov in my pocket--"Would you take 6 hundred?

"Keep arguing with me and the price goes to $1500, driver says oh yea we gonna be back"

Best you didn't, don't honk your horn in my driveway asking something for nothing.

Civil discussion, yes--I already knew these guys are Pirating the neighborhood--at their igmo peril"

We got guns that shoot real bullets , and we know when to use both--;)

Just another day in 'Bama.:)

GET EM AX..............

woodwitch February 16th, 2011 08:52 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 712607)
TY E1 ...Surgery went well they had to re break it because it was healed... But I didn't get sick to my stomach of nothing....I did really good..yes I have a splint but cannot take the darned thing off!!! Nag dab it!! I was hopping!! but we got pics ..I don't have a scanner but I can take a pic of the pic that they gave up...nothing gross no worries just thought you'd like to see..later tho :D

Glad every thing went well. Now rest!:D

redneckplanter February 16th, 2011 08:53 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL HOW DU WW...................

chickweed February 16th, 2011 08:54 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 712607)
TY E1 ...Surgery went well they had to re break it because it was healed... But I didn't get sick to my stomach of nothing....I did really good..yes I have a splint but cannot take the darned thing off!!! Nag dab it!! I was hopping!! but we got pics ..I don't have a scanner but I can take a pic of the pic that they gave up...nothing gross no worries just thought you'd like to see..later tho :D

Thanks for checking in, Sweet Pea! Sleep well!:)

Pepper February 17th, 2011 12:34 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 712289)
Chuckle-- had a chuckle just now--truck pulls in to my driveway blows the horn 5 times, before I got outside they were in the middle of the main road--stopped--backed up --

Want to sell that truck?

Mebbe, a Thousand might do it.

Fellow on the passenger side with a toothpick in his mouth saw the Makarov in my pocket--"Would you take 6 hundred?

"Keep arguing with me and the price goes to $1500, driver says oh yea we gonna be back"

Best you didn't, don't honk your horn in my driveway asking something for nothing.

Civil discussion, yes--I already knew these guys are Pirating the neighborhood--at their igmo peril"

We got guns that shoot real bullets , and we know when to use both--;)

Just another day in 'Bama.:)

Reminds me of a time working rig #3 f&W in zapata Tx in 83 it was about 0300 am me and David was sitting on the drill stem eating garlic baloney sandwichs drinking Lonestar Beer and a pinto station wagon pulled up two men got out one was wear a top hat swear he had on a top hat tattoos of skulls spider webs knives (prison ****) the one that looked like he should be taking up space on death row said we need a job and I said were full try evening tower , then he said we like working morning tower somebody is gonna have to leave , me and david looked at each other david then said go talk to the worm hand the "leader" asked why and I said hes the only one that doesnt carry a pistol and cant run the backhoe, david stood up and reach into his back pocket pulled out a old savage 32 auto and said one word blow . they left ,me and david bust out laughing . we saw them at the local beer joint didnt say boo to us , they were rubes, wanna be toughs . David was killed standing on a step latter putting up the rig flag he fell and hit hs head laid there and died bled out . he only fell 3 feet . that was on a junk rig a little double .

skiracer February 17th, 2011 06:20 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 712895)
Reminds me of a time working rig #3 f&W in zapata Tx in 83 it was about 0300 am me and David was sitting on the drill stem eating garlic baloney sandwichs drinking Lonestar Beer and a pinto station wagon pulled up two men got out one was wear a top hat swear he had on a top hat tattoos of skulls spider webs knives (prison ****) the one that looked like he should be taking up space on death row said we need a job and I said were full try evening tower , then he said we like working morning tower somebody is gonna have to leave , me and david looked at each other david then said go talk to the worm hand the "leader" asked why and I said hes the only one that doesnt carry a pistol and cant run the backhoe, david stood up and reach into his back pocket pulled out a old savage 32 auto and said one word blow . they left ,me and david bust out laughing . we saw them at the local beer joint didnt say boo to us , they were rubes, wanna be toughs . David was killed standing on a step latter putting up the rig flag he fell and hit hs head laid there and died bled out . he only fell 3 feet . that was on a junk rig a little double .

Interesting story Pepper. I would imagine you have a few from life on those rigs. i love a good story like that. Do you think David would have pulled the trigger if the other guy had made a move towards him. after all that and to die from falling off a three ft. high step ladder. he must have been alone when he fell to bleed out like that.

axhandle February 17th, 2011 07:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 712344)
Dave: Sending some positive thoughts your way also.


Ax: Decent weather here for February cant complain. Even looks like I may get my peas planted before the month is over. They always produce much better the years I can get them in by February or early March. Gives em a chance to beat the heat. Once it starts getting hot they are done.


Jeff:)

Do you have to use clotches ,Jeff up in Maryland?
Man I love those English/Sugar peas made up in to a salad.Here they do well if plated early enough--bout March anything after that is a dice roll.
Understand Russian Krims do well in cooler weather--I didn't get mine going last year till late and got only one tomato--they don't like heat, very good taste--the only pre-salted tomato around--

Post a pic later, bought an Onan Generator 3KW from SIL, really didn't need it but they needed the money.--What the heck--keep it in the Family, Says I--:)

Garlicluvr February 17th, 2011 07:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 712990)
Do you have to use clotches ,Jeff up in Maryland?
Man I love those English/Sugar peas made up in to a salad.Here they do well if plated early enough--bout March anything after that is a dice roll.
Understand Russian Krims do well in cooler weather--I didn't get mine going last year till late and got only one tomato--they don't like heat, very good taste--the only pre-salted tomato around--

Post a pic later, bought an Onan Generator 3KW from SIL, really didn't need it but they needed the money.--What the heck--keep it in the Family, Says I--:)

Ax: what are clotches?

And Good Morning to you.

Jeff:)

w8in4dave February 17th, 2011 07:45 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Yes Good morning everyone...kinda on my 2nd cup of tea :D

axhandle February 17th, 2011 07:52 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 712895)
Reminds me of a time working rig #3 f&W in zapata Tx in 83 it was about 0300 am me and David was sitting on the drill stem eating garlic baloney sandwichs drinking Lonestar Beer and a pinto station wagon pulled up two men got out one was wear a top hat swear he had on a top hat tattoos of skulls spider webs knives (prison ****) the one that looked like he should be taking up space on death row said we need a job and I said were full try evening tower , then he said we like working morning tower somebody is gonna have to leave , me and david looked at each other david then said go talk to the worm hand the "leader" asked why and I said hes the only one that doesnt carry a pistol and cant run the backhoe, david stood up and reach into his back pocket pulled out a old savage 32 auto and said one word blow . they left ,me and david bust out laughing . we saw them at the local beer joint didnt say boo to us , they were rubes, wanna be toughs . David was killed standing on a step latter putting up the rig flag he fell and hit hs head laid there and died bled out . he only fell 3 feet . that was on a junk rig a little double .

Pep I know you have seen the movie --"Second Hand Lions"-- your post reminds me of the scene in the cafe/bar when the thugs started heckling Duvall--

Wish I had my .32 Savage back, traded it for a Ruger 10/22 back in '65 or so, later on I inquired about it--"It's in the creek"--darn thing fell of the back of the truck seat and shot me in the leg, threw it in the creek"--.32 Savages bring good coins today.

It's tough losing someone who is close, and both gone thru stuff of life, my best friend died about 5 yrs ago after surgery--the only thing that keeps me from getting down is rememembering the stuff we went thru, the laughter, in short the good times.

axhandle February 17th, 2011 08:06 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 712993)
Ax: what are clotches?

And Good Morning to you.

Jeff:)

Bend up some mild steel 1/4 inch wire in a U shape--bout 8 inches or so, after you plant push the wire at intervals along the row--then drape good plastic sheeting down the row,over the wire bends--mini greenhouse, already planted-- and a headstart--leave enough leeway on the ends so you can adjust ventilation-

And it is , indeed, a good morning---

axhandle February 17th, 2011 08:15 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 712999)
Yes Good morning everyone...kinda on my 2nd cup of tea :D

Never heard of "Kinda Brand" tea , Dave--:D

I know you are doing well--just uncomfortable--Snooze Out--later today--the World Turns--Got to get that wrist going, the fish are biting--

P.S. Hope DH's back is better--but be alert --sometimes Sympathy Pain Syndrome sets in--

chickweed February 17th, 2011 08:15 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 713006)
Pep I know you have seen the movie --"Second Hand Lions"-- your post reminds me of the scene in the cafe/bar when the thugs started heckling Duvall--

Wish I had my .32 Savage back, traded it for a Ruger 10/22 back in '65 or so, later on I inquired about it--"It's in the creek"--darn thing fell of the back of the truck seat and shot me in the leg, threw it in the creek"--.32 Savages bring good coins today.

It's tough losing someone who is close, and both gone thru stuff of life, my best friend died about 5 yrs ago after surgery--the only thing that keeps me from getting down is rememembering the stuff we went thru, the laughter, in short the good times.


I made a big brunch last Saturday and watched Second Hand Lions with Ed - he had never seen it! A lot of reality in that movie!

chickweed February 17th, 2011 08:18 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Morning, all! How you be, Wen D!

axhandle February 17th, 2011 08:29 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 713026)
I made a big brunch last Saturday and watched Second Hand Lions with Ed - he had never seen it! A lot of reality in that movie!

Best movie in two decades--
Get the credit card out ,Chick--why not go out in a blaze of glory--attached.;):D

tweed February 17th, 2011 08:33 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 713026)
I made a big brunch last Saturday and watched Second Hand Lions with Ed - he had never seen it! A lot of reality in that movie!

That is an EXCELLENT movie!
Mornin' all.

Steve

Garlicluvr February 17th, 2011 08:43 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 713019)
Bend up some mild steel 1/4 inch wire in a U shape--bout 8 inches or so, after you plant push the wire at intervals along the row--then drape good plastic sheeting down the row,over the wire bends--mini greenhouse, already planted-- and a headstart--leave enough leeway on the ends so you can adjust ventilation-

And it is , indeed, a good morning---

I got it ax mini hoop houses or plastic row covers. I never tried them for peas, onions and other early crops. Peas tolerate cold pretty well anyhow and I rarely have any frost problems with them or onions.


I could see where they would allow one to get some things in earlier though.


I love Second hand Lions but then I have always been a Duvall fan and I really like Michael Caine also. If you are going to go might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Ax: I would love to have one of those Spads to play with!

The movie reminds me of one of my favorite books which has both very piognant moments on one hand and parts that have me ROTFLMAO on the other hand and many many lessons on life. Book is The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter, read it if you get the chance and havent yet Ax/Chick you would like it. The Grandfather is a great character.



Jeff:)

Pepper February 17th, 2011 08:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 712936)
Interesting story Pepper. I would imagine you have a few from life on those rigs. i love a good story like that. Do you think David would have pulled the trigger if the other guy had made a move towards him. after all that and to die from falling off a three ft. high step ladder. he must have been alone when he fell to bleed out like that.

only if he had a weapon david in high school was in golden gloves he could throw those hands . he laid there 30 to 50 minates ( according to coroner) he was behind the draw works nobody could see him . good friend

axhandle February 17th, 2011 09:07 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 713049)
That is an EXCELLENT movie!
Mornin' all.

Steve

How's the frozen N. Tweed?-Lawd I'm glad you are still going strong --despite your nightmares of driving along frozen rock walls on the side of a cliff--;):)

tweed February 17th, 2011 09:14 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 713100)
How's the frozen N. Tweed?-Lawd I'm glad you are still going strong --despite your nightmares of driving along frozen rock walls on the side of a cliff--;):)

LOL
It has actually been warm here the past 5 days! Even gonna hit 70 degrees later this week!
Unfortunately, have been battling a stomach bug since Monday.
Never fails. The Mrs. goes to school and whatever the kids have she brings home.
She was violently ill Monday and I got it. Boom!
Been sounding like a Big Rig Jake Brake.

Steve

axhandle February 17th, 2011 09:17 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 713066)
I got it ax mini hoop houses or plastic row covers. I never tried them for peas, onions and other early crops. Peas tolerate cold pretty well anyhow and I rarely have any frost problems with them or onions.


I could see where they would allow one to get some things in earlier though.


I love Second hand Lions but then I have always been a Duvall fan and I really like Michael Caine also. If you are going to go might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Ax: I would love to have one of those Spads to play with!

The movie reminds me of one of my favorite books which has both very piognant moments on one hand and parts that have me ROTFLMAO on the other hand and many many lessons on life. Book is The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter, read it if you get the chance and havent yet Ax/Chick you would like it. The Grandfather is a great character.



Jeff:)

Caine is a good character--Find "The Island"- ("Ye be Known as, "Two Barb")movie --Peter Finch--better known as the author of "Jaws"--absolutely my best selection as a candidate for-- #10 Downing Steet, better still "M" Section----(Real Life).

axhandle February 17th, 2011 09:32 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 713066)
I got it ax mini hoop houses or plastic row covers. I never tried them for peas, onions and other early crops. Peas tolerate cold pretty well anyhow and I rarely have any frost problems with them or onions.


I could see where they would allow one to get some things in earlier though.


I love Second hand Lions but then I have always been a Duvall fan and I really like Michael Caine also. If you are going to go might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Ax: I would love to have one of those Spads to play with!

The movie reminds me of one of my favorite books which has both very piognant moments on one hand and parts that have me ROTFLMAO on the other hand and many many lessons on life. Book is The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter, read it if you get the chance and havent yet Ax/Chick you would like it. The Grandfather is a great character.



Jeff:)

S.P.A.D-- Engine-- 1917--If and when, I can find--I have a pic of one down at the museum at Eglin AFB.

Made note of Little Tree-look up Ransom of Red Chief--by O'Henry--a real treat--might remind you of yourself--;):)

axhandle February 17th, 2011 09:37 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 713104)
LOL
It has actually been warm here the past 5 days! Even gonna hit 70 degrees later this week!
Unfortunately, have been battling a stomach bug since Monday.
Never fails. The Mrs. goes to school and whatever the kids have she brings home.
She was violently ill Monday and I got it. Boom!
Been sounding like a Big Rig Jake Brake.

Steve

Sounds like you just became the Wrestling Champ-- "Paul Boomer"--don't light a match--;):D

tweed February 17th, 2011 09:43 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 713129)
Sounds like you just became the Wrestling Champ-- "Paul Boomer"--don't light a match--;):D

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Well, I don't have any enemies, but you know what I mean.
Heck, I don't even get "The Two Minute Warning" which means that your stomach & intestines hit you with a pain that informs you that you are going to be using the bathroom in two minutes, make sure you are in one.

Steve

woodwitch February 17th, 2011 09:45 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 713066)

The movie reminds me of one of my favorite books which has both very piognant moments on one hand and parts that have me ROTFLMAO on the other hand and many many lessons on life. Book is The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter, read it if you get the chance and havent yet Ax/Chick you would like it. The Grandfather is a great character.



Jeff:)

Great book! It was also made into a movie which was almost as good as the book. It reminds me a an old Native American friend of mine who was taken from his tribe as a small child and raised in a church school. He had many sad stories to tell about his upbringing. When he finally got out off the school he returned to his tribe and had to learn his customs almost from scratch. He was a wonderful teacher and I used to help him tend the fire at sweat lodges because he was almost blind and needed a set of eyes. He taught me a lot about fire tending and the prayers that need to be said. He is now over 90 and living in a nursing home.

axhandle February 17th, 2011 09:48 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
ONAN--self descriptive, just need someone to juggle the SN and give me a year of Manufacture--An AJ model 3KW made in U.S.A.

axhandle February 17th, 2011 09:52 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 713135)
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Well, I don't have any enemies, but you know what I mean.
Heck, I don't even get "The Two Minute Warning" which means that your stomach & intestines hit you with a pain that informs you that you are going to be using the bathroom in two minutes, make sure you are in one.

Steve

Chuckle--10 seconds is about the outside bet--;)

tweed February 17th, 2011 09:54 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 713145)
Chuckle--10 seconds is about the outside bet--;)

If'n one's lucky.

Steve

axhandle February 17th, 2011 10:01 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 713147)
If'n one's lucky.

Steve

Fan That 'Hiney"--Lord knows-- Giardia Lamblia --"Shoot me now" ;):)

Garlicluvr February 17th, 2011 10:26 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 713124)
S.P.A.D-- Engine-- 1917--If and when, I can find--I have a pic of one down at the museum at Eglin AFB.

Made note of Little Tree-look up Ransom of Red Chief--by O'Henry--a real treat--might remind you of yourself--;):)

Ax: I am pretty sure I read that when I was in school but it has been some time will have to find it again.

Jeff:)

axhandle February 17th, 2011 05:19 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 713168)
Ax: I am pretty sure I read that when I was in school but it has been some time will have to find it again.

Jeff:)

One of those --"some time back" short stories , Jeff, absolutely priceless--my G'son fits the role--until the book is read, the title makes little sense--:)

Ajla February 18th, 2011 08:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I've got a flat roof, and get on it through the skylight, but it sounds good, doesn't it? I'm going to help a friend moving house, so really it's a working holiday! Be back next week!

Garlicluvr February 18th, 2011 12:40 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 713136)
Great book! It was also made into a movie which was almost as good as the book. It reminds me a an old Native American friend of mine who was taken from his tribe as a small child and raised in a church school. He had many sad stories to tell about his upbringing. When he finally got out off the school he returned to his tribe and had to learn his customs almost from scratch. He was a wonderful teacher and I used to help him tend the fire at sweat lodges because he was almost blind and needed a set of eyes. He taught me a lot about fire tending and the prayers that need to be said. He is now over 90 and living in a nursing home.

Woodwitch: I didnt know they had made it into a movie will have to look for it. Your friend sounds like a real treasure I bet you learned a lot from him.


Jeff:)

axhandle February 18th, 2011 03:29 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I knew it two days ago--neighbor 80yrs old plowed his garden today,bout quarter acre, planting potatoes tomorrow.
He always says every year--"Oh, I'm not going to plant near as much next year"--usually ends up more-:) as soon as he plants the potatoes he'll come over and plow mine up, '66 Ford tractor-he's probably the best neighbor I ever had.

Intend to do a photo doc on him this year--he can raise the produce!!!

axhandle February 19th, 2011 07:48 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Planting usual Rutgers tomatoes before long, experimental Krims(again) and maybe some Cherokee Purples.
Multiplying onion bed,more garlic, some squash and peppers,radishes and some Blue Lake bush beans.
Usually get in a bit of corn, Silver Queen but undecided yet--got a bit of time left.

w8in4dave February 19th, 2011 09:34 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Morning everyone :D

axhandle February 21st, 2011 06:49 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 714591)
Morning everyone :D

Good--belated-- mornin , Dave --hows the hand?

RozieDozie February 21st, 2011 06:58 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Good Morning! Wendy, hope your wrist is better.

Ax, I'm trying to stick to OP Heirlooms this year but I'll sure miss that Silver Queen corn. :) I'm doing Country Gentleman and Yellow Bantam. The Rutgers are all up. I had some old seed so I planted doubles in some pods. Now I have double plants because every one of them sprouted. At least now I have some to share with the neighbors.

axhandle February 21st, 2011 08:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 715766)
Good Morning! Wendy, hope your wrist is better.

Ax, I'm trying to stick to OP Heirlooms this year but I'll sure miss that Silver Queen corn. :) I'm doing Country Gentleman and Yellow Bantam. The Rutgers are all up. I had some old seed so I planted doubles in some pods. Now I have double plants because every one of them sprouted. At least now I have some to share with the neighbors.

Mornin, Rozie--

My all time favorite corn,(I like them all), is Truckers Favorite--
The corn in N.Georgia cannot be beat,--? soil, variety ??--next time I go up am talking to the roadside farmers--it's "Special".

You got Rutgers sprouts already!--I'm behind--got to "Ketch-Up":)

Neighbor plowed the weekend and planted potatoes, brought turnips and greens over last Friday, he's usually up by 0500 but I think he may have overdid it a bit over the weekend--after all he's 80 yrs old, but can work the socks off a mule.

Got a few Chores to do, be back later this A.M.--Thanks for update---Ax.

axhandle February 21st, 2011 08:19 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Jeff, If you drop by--in the market for a bandsaw--mine broke.

About a 9" throat--somewhere in the $2-300 range (maybe scratch my chin on an industrial at the right price)--Quality brand is what I'm looking for, construction, standardized sawblades, replacement parts--etc--

Appreciate your expertise in the matter--Ax.

Garlicluvr February 21st, 2011 10:47 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 715801)
Jeff, If you drop by--in the market for a bandsaw--mine broke.

About a 9" throat--somewhere in the $2-300 range (maybe scratch my chin on an industrial at the right price)--Quality brand is what I'm looking for, construction, standardized sawblades, replacement parts--etc--

Appreciate your expertise in the matter--Ax.

Ax: I will have to do a little research as I haven't looked at them for awhile. I like Laguna tools stuff but they make mostly floor models higher end and are out of that price range. Some of the larger Delta, Jet, Grizzly are still good a lot of the smaller ones and table top units are now all China made.

Cant beat an old DoAll if you can find a used one got a 1950's model in the shop at work still make parts and still going strong.

I will look at some of my tool sites and see what I can find.


Jeff

Garlicluvr February 21st, 2011 10:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I have had a fairly productive long weekend got the 5' tiller attached to the John Deere, fixed my backpack sprayer and replaced all of the rubber hose pieces that were starting to crack. Now I can do that dormant oil spray.

Bought my pea seeds and onion sets, will try to plant this week. I plan on pruning the grapes and apples today and maybe tilling the pea patch.


Jeff:)

tweed February 21st, 2011 10:56 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 714525)
Planting usual Rutgers tomatoes before long, experimental Krims(again) and maybe some Cherokee Purples.
Multiplying onion bed,more garlic, some squash and peppers,radishes and some Blue Lake bush beans.
Usually get in a bit of corn, Silver Queen but undecided yet--got a bit of time left.

All the way around, Rutgers is hard to beat.
Bought myself a small, 3 tier wire shelf at Lowe's yesterday to start seeds on. Will probably wind up buying one more.
Set them on tables in the sunroom window and add some lights.

Steve

axhandle February 21st, 2011 11:55 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 715909)
All the way around, Rutgers is hard to beat.
Bought myself a small, 3 tier wire shelf at Lowe's yesterday to start seeds on. Will probably wind up buying one more.
Set them on tables in the sunroom window and add some lights.

Steve

Get two or three more, Tweed, stagger them, Rutgers will go till first frost.

axhandle February 21st, 2011 03:54 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Heck of a week--chuckle--Temps from mid '60's to low '70's --actually got a few things done today--:)

Can't really complain, back when the prayer 'O 'Tha Day was "Give me Salt and Water--I'll sleep when tis is over":)

lalbers February 21st, 2011 07:23 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Took Della our for our walk- had 2 inches of new snow last night- I like looking at tracks. Saw some bunny tracks, comming out from under a log, out to the road, then feather marks on the snow- and no more bunny tracks! Hawk had a good dinner

Garlicluvr February 21st, 2011 09:23 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Bunnies luck ran out.

Ax just bought a copy of How to build a tin canoe off ebay for $15.00. Looked on amazon first and they wanted $75.00 for a new copy, apparently it is getting hard to find. Ebay one was used hardcover from a bookstore in Portland Oregon.

Should be here in a week or so.


I got my grapes and apple trees pruned and pea patch tilled up, just have to plant them peas and onions. May get a little snow tonight or tomorrow morning but supposed to warm back up to forty by Wednesday and fifties by thursday friday so still decent pea planting weather.


Gotta stop looking at guitars on ebay before I buy another. Need to play the two I already have. My nine year old is on his second year of guitar lessons and starting to get pretty good. He may inherit one of mine soon.


Jeff:)

tweed February 22nd, 2011 02:04 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 715950)
Get two or three more, Tweed, stagger them, Rutgers will go till first frost.

Good advice.
Goin' for broke on the garden this year.
Gonna leave 'em slack jawed.

Steve

chickweed February 22nd, 2011 05:50 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Good Morning, All! It is cold, windy, raining.....the dogs are back inside and we are all going to take a morning nap!

w8in4dave February 22nd, 2011 06:44 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Morning E1 I stayed at a friends house..ice every where and we didn't have electric..pfffttt stupid storm man it is horrible out there

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 06:48 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 716295)
Took Della our for our walk- had 2 inches of new snow last night- I like looking at tracks. Saw some bunny tracks, comming out from under a log, out to the road, then feather marks on the snow- and no more bunny tracks! Hawk had a good dinner

I can see it now, hawk in the tree, buffing claws --swoop--:)

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 06:56 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 716376)
Bunnies luck ran out.

Ax just bought a copy of How to build a tin canoe off ebay for $15.00. Looked on amazon first and they wanted $75.00 for a new copy, apparently it is getting hard to find. Ebay one was used hardcover from a bookstore in Portland Oregon.

Should be here in a week or so.


I got my grapes and apple trees pruned and pea patch tilled up, just have to plant them peas and onions. May get a little snow tonight or tomorrow morning but supposed to warm back up to forty by Wednesday and fifties by thursday friday so still decent pea planting weather.


Gotta stop looking at guitars on ebay before I buy another. Need to play the two I already have. My nine year old is on his second year of guitar lessons and starting to get pretty good. He may inherit one of mine soon.


Jeff:)

Tin Canoe---being a "Salt" you will enjoy, the kids will too.
It's been in high '60's to '70's here all week, my Maple trees are budding--but Almanac predicts a bad one in March, like the blizzard of '93.
Son plays guitar at one time had a Les Paul, don't know if he still has it or not--his "good" one is downstairs--will have to look in on it.

Have my Uncle's violin along with the receipt dated 1936, $60.00 then, a chunk of change.Wish the heck I could play it--maybe one day.
Left you a note Re; Bandsaw advice--back several posts.

Good to hear from You and good planting.

chickweed February 22nd, 2011 06:58 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 716508)
Morning E1 I stayed at a friends house..ice every where and we didn't have electric..pfffttt stupid storm man it is horrible out there

Soooooo......living off the grid is not for you, eh? :D

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 07:00 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 716465)
Good advice.
Goin' for broke on the garden this year.
Gonna leave 'em slack jawed.

Steve

Door neighbor planted potatoes the weekend--he is biting the bits.
Try some Krims--they are supposed to be cool weather plants--interesting--they have a naturally salty taste--Be careful up in those hills--

P.S. Daytona, won by a 20 yr old driver--thought that was neat--

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 07:01 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 716493)
Good Morning, All! It is cold, windy, raining.....the dogs are back inside and we are all going to take a morning nap!

Mornin, Chick--thought you had fallen off the Earth--

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 07:02 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 716508)
Morning E1 I stayed at a friends house..ice every where and we didn't have electric..pfffttt stupid storm man it is horrible out there

Sounds like a bummer ,Dave.Hows the hand?

w8in4dave February 22nd, 2011 07:03 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 716519)
Soooooo......living off the grid is not for you, eh? :D

Not so much!! Well not when it gets down to 12 and feels like 3 anyway.....maby in the middle of summer????

w8in4dave February 22nd, 2011 07:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 716523)
Sounds like a bummer ,Dave.Hows the hand?

Hand is healing , not swollen anymore, feels more in the way than anything eles..cannot w8 till this thing comes off !!! Not till the 2nd tho..... Pffftttttt

chickweed February 22nd, 2011 07:13 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 716522)
Mornin, Chick--thought you had fallen off the Earth--

I have been lurking...just did not feel well. My back muscles are so crunched up that we have put the chiropractor on retainer and he has been beating me back to functioning. The "trigger point" muscle mass under my right shoulder blade was so knotted that the knot was visible under my skin....and for three days my right arm pounded from the pain and my right hand tingled and hurt from low circulation. The left side was getting to that point. Doc says it has been coming on for awhile and is probably tied to an old whiplash injury. I have to be extra careful for awhile when I lift and pull on things (like Mom's walker and Yoda). I tried "gentle manipulation" yesterday - I did some raking!

w8in4dave February 22nd, 2011 07:18 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Chick Dave just is now getting over a pulled muscle , he is so hard headed , the doc said moist heat, I used moist heat when I had back surgery actually I had to use moist heat then ice ....but sounds like you may have to have some moist heat hun...I sure hope what ever you try works and you feel better soon .......

chickweed February 22nd, 2011 08:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 716525)
Hand is healing , not swollen anymore, feels more in the way than anything eles..cannot w8 till this thing comes off !!! Not till the 2nd tho..... Pffftttttt

LOL! I would actually prefer it in the winter - I can build a fire and put on more covers. Summers are killing me with no ac, when even at night the temp is in the steamy 90s. I am "partial grid".

chickweed February 22nd, 2011 08:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 716539)
Chick Dave just is now getting over a pulled muscle , he is so hard headed , the doc said moist heat, I used moist heat when I had back surgery actually I had to use moist heat then ice ....but sounds like you may have to have some moist heat hun...I sure hope what ever you try works and you feel better soon .......

I am alternating ice, heat, moist heat. My muscles are more like spasm knots. There may be scar tissue from the whiplash incident. The chiropractor is using multiple methods of manipulation, including electric current, all the way up into my neck. I think I may be coming home with a T.E.N.S. machine, soon. I am tired of having my body stop me from being active! It hurts when I pick Fox up, and he just does not understand why he was getting less lap time - so I pick him up, anyway.

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 09:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 716533)
I have been lurking...just did not feel well. My back muscles are so crunched up that we have put the chiropractor on retainer and he has been beating me back to functioning. The "trigger point" muscle mass under my right shoulder blade was so knotted that the knot was visible under my skin....and for three days my right arm pounded from the pain and my right hand tingled and hurt from low circulation. The left side was getting to that point. Doc says it has been coming on for awhile and is probably tied to an old whiplash injury. I have to be extra careful for awhile when I lift and pull on things (like Mom's walker and Yoda). I tried "gentle manipulation" yesterday - I did some raking!

Nerve bundles and trigger points--I have three--one is a minor genetic defect in lower back pelvis--aggravated by jumping out of helicopters.

Orthopedic Doc Friend injected it with Saline,(some do Novacaine)--it does the job--nerve bundles sometimes have a mind of their own--especially where you described.

Take care ,--'Lode 'Aint Life a Trip"---;):)

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 09:12 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 716539)
Chick Dave just is now getting over a pulled muscle , he is so hard headed , the doc said moist heat, I used moist heat when I had back surgery actually I had to use moist heat then ice ....but sounds like you may have to have some moist heat hun...I sure hope what ever you try works and you feel better soon .......

Polish are Hard Headed---Hmmm--:D

Garlicluvr February 22nd, 2011 09:13 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 716518)
Tin Canoe---being a "Salt" you will enjoy, the kids will too.
It's been in high '60's to '70's here all week, my Maple trees are budding--but Almanac predicts a bad one in March, like the blizzard of '93.
Son plays guitar at one time had a Les Paul, don't know if he still has it or not--his "good" one is downstairs--will have to look in on it.

Have my Uncle's violin along with the receipt dated 1936, $60.00 then, a chunk of change.Wish the heck I could play it--maybe one day.
Left you a note Re; Bandsaw advice--back several posts.

Good to hear from You and good planting.

Ax: I left you a note on bandsaws too that you may have missed as it ended up on the bottom of the page and tweeds next post started a new page. I will have to research a bit on smaller ones as I havent looked at bandsaws in awhile as i have not been in a place to buy one. I eventually want a large floor model for the woodshop wouldnt hurt if it was variable speed and could do double duty wood and metal.

If makita makes a small bandsaw might be a good bet all of there portables tools, mitersaws, drills, etc are top line. Rigid also makes pretty good stuff as does Milwaukee I have some of both.

I want one for resawing and cutting out contours in woodshop. I like the Laguna tools saws but they are out of the $200-$300 range and bigger than you are looking for. Grizzly saws got the best reviews in fine woodworking last year and they make pretty good stuff.


Jet and Delta larger saws are also good as is Rikon, I am a little leery of their smaller table-top stuff as it is all chinese made now.

One of the best ever and still made metal cutting or all purpose industrial bandsaws is DoAll have a 1950's model in my work machine shop still going strong and its been used hard, can still get all of the parts too. If you ever find a running used one snap it up, I certainly will if I ever come across one.

Still cant beat South Bend Lathes or Bridgeport Mills a few american companies still putting out high quality stuff. Of course the Germans and Japanese make some good machine tools also. Scandanavian countries putting out good welding machines have a couple ESAB machines at work and an ESAB Plasma cutter they are nice machines.

Good day all I got about 1/2" of sleety snow, but back up to fifties by the weekend, I am in planting gear now.

Jeff:)

tweed February 22nd, 2011 09:32 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 716520)
P.S. Daytona, won by a 20 yr old driver--thought that was neat--

Yup.
Bayne is from Knoxville, which is only about 8-90 miles from here.
Kid has a good head on his shoulders.
I thought that Martin-Allmendinger, in tandem, were by far the fastest duo until Michael Waltrip wrecked half the darned field.
Nevertheless, good to see the 21 Wood Brothers car back in Victory Lane! :)

Steve

skiracer February 22nd, 2011 09:52 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 716630)
Yup.
Bayne is from Knoxville, which is only about 8-90 miles from here.
Kid has a good head on his shoulders.
I thought that Martin-Allmendinger, in tandem, were by far the fastest duo until Michael Waltrip wrecked half the darned field.
Nevertheless, good to see the 21 Wood Brothers car back in Victory Lane! :)

Steve

I thought it was a good race. entertaining to say the least. i felt bad for what happened to that guy who was in the lead.

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 10:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 716630)
Yup.
Bayne is from Knoxville, which is only about 8-90 miles from here.
Kid has a good head on his shoulders.
I thought that Martin-Allmendinger, in tandem, were by far the fastest duo until Michael Waltrip wrecked half the darned field.
Nevertheless, good to see the 21 Wood Brothers car back in Victory Lane! :)

Steve

Horsepower and Torque, "the engines have the H.P.. and the Gals have the Torque"--Talladega just up the road--unreal--two weeks before and two weeks after--;):)

tweed February 22nd, 2011 10:16 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 716654)
Horsepower and Torque, "the engines have the H.P.. and the Gals have the Torque"--Talladega just up the road--unreal--two weeks before and two weeks after--;):)

You should rent camping spaces, ax. :D

Steve

woodwitch February 22nd, 2011 01:00 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
The kid winning the race made me $50 on a race draw. I got his name and I am going who is Bayne. Everyone laughed and said who know he will never win. Ha ha I am now $50 richer.

skiracer February 22nd, 2011 01:22 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
congrats wood! that is a stroke of luck. did the other guy who was leading with a few laps left get disqualified because he changed lanes to early. good for you.

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 03:09 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
"Justa 'Letta Me go for once, We make them to Go,-- 'Notta Stop--the Rules are so much talk"

"Hey'-a Gieusuppe--'Looka 'dis Cam"--Twinkle in the Eye"

Gotta give Gieusuppe credit---A work of art, and Rev's like hades--;):)

P.S. This is the back of the vehicle--not the front--:)

axhandle February 22nd, 2011 03:50 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Greek Chicken for 'Sup,--maybe a bit--'O T.V.--only a piece of toast today--'Pig Out--Say's I"--;):D

"Life is Gravy"

lalbers February 22nd, 2011 04:33 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Daytona? Cars going round and round and round? Booooring. TV off. (Ducking)

w8in4dave February 22nd, 2011 09:28 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 716611)
Polish are Hard Headed---Hmmm--:D

I know right?? Try telling him that... LOL

tweed February 23rd, 2011 01:12 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 716789)
The kid winning the race made me $50 on a race draw. I got his name and I am going who is Bayne. Everyone laughed and said who know he will never win. Ha ha I am now $50 richer.


The Wood Brothers always put a good car together for Daytona or Talladega.
Same as Furniture Row, as evidenced by Regan Smith this year and the past runs and qualifying efforts of Joe "Front Row Joe" Nemecheck.
Bayne was fast and smooth in all the practices, the 125's and then the 500.
Looks like he took David Pearson's advice to heart.
Smart lad.

Steve

axhandle February 23rd, 2011 07:22 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 716923)
Daytona? Cars going round and round and round? Booooring. TV off. (Ducking)

Sorta like Cabana boys with one foot nailed to the floor--they go round and round.

axhandle February 23rd, 2011 07:35 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 716613)
Ax: I left you a note on bandsaws too that you may have missed as it ended up on the bottom of the page and tweeds next post started a new page. I will have to research a bit on smaller ones as I havent looked at bandsaws in awhile as i have not been in a place to buy one. I eventually want a large floor model for the woodshop wouldnt hurt if it was variable speed and could do double duty wood and metal.

If makita makes a small bandsaw might be a good bet all of there portables tools, mitersaws, drills, etc are top line. Rigid also makes pretty good stuff as does Milwaukee I have some of both.

I want one for resawing and cutting out contours in woodshop. I like the Laguna tools saws but they are out of the $200-$300 range and bigger than you are looking for. Grizzly saws got the best reviews in fine woodworking last year and they make pretty good stuff.


Jet and Delta larger saws are also good as is Rikon, I am a little leery of their smaller table-top stuff as it is all chinese made now.

One of the best ever and still made metal cutting or all purpose industrial bandsaws is DoAll have a 1950's model in my work machine shop still going strong and its been used hard, can still get all of the parts too. If you ever find a running used one snap it up, I certainly will if I ever come across one.

Still cant beat South Bend Lathes or Bridgeport Mills a few american companies still putting out high quality stuff. Of course the Germans and Japanese make some good machine tools also. Scandanavian countries putting out good welding machines have a couple ESAB machines at work and an ESAB Plasma cutter they are nice machines.

Good day all I got about 1/2" of sleety snow, but back up to fifties by the weekend, I am in planting gear now.

Jeff:)

Jeff, I appreciatre your expertise---

Makita does good stuff and the Grizzly name comes to light.
Back when I was strapped for cash, bought a Chinese one--absolute junk, blade would fly off, no way to keep any adjustment screws intact--pot metal--the base even fractured--never again.


About decided to go for broke and get a combo wood/sheet metal industrial 14 ", set me back a bit but am to the age I don't want junk anymore.

You mentioned DoAll, if memory serves me thats what we had in Woodshop back in Jr.High, another fellow, twice as big as me kept heckling me and we got in to it--threw him up aginst the bandsaw cast iron--and fixed his elbow up real good--:)

Will keep you posted in my search--

P.S. Temps been mid '60's --70's here for a week--got some English Peas to plant--Ferry Morse-sp.Wondo--going to plant them early as the heat kills them out down here.

Again--Thanks

Garlicluvr February 23rd, 2011 07:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax: Did a little digging on small bandsaws, looks like people like the Grizzly 9" bandsaw pretty well, Jet 12" got decent reviews also and the Rikon 10" and 12" got real good reviews.

I would check Grizzly site or just google for pricing and vendors. I know Woodcraft carries the little Rikon saws and the Jet are pretty common. The ones I saw were all under $300, most under $200 so you shouldnt have any trouble finding one in that price range.


Any of those three (Grizzly, Jet, Rikon) should be decent saws. I would avoid the Delta as it got several bad reviews.


Jeff:)

chickweed February 23rd, 2011 07:37 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I am with Lalbers on this one. They chase their own tails for hours, make a lot of migraine inducing noise, stir up dust......and never get anywhere. How can you even tell who is leading?

Garlicluvr February 23rd, 2011 07:41 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax: Wando is what I planted last year and am planting again this year good pea and they tolerate heat a bit better than most. I am going to try and plant mine Sunday weather permitting.

Even if it is a bit early and freezes again or gets real wet and seeds rot it is no big deal as I bought another pound bag from Southern States the other day $3.29 for the pound cant beat it. I still have a half pound left from last year, so if I lose the first batch I just replant.


Jeff:)

Pepper February 23rd, 2011 07:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 717395)
Ax: Did a little digging on small bandsaws, looks like people like the Grizzly 9" bandsaw pretty well, Jet 12" got decent reviews also and the Rikon 10" and 12" got real good reviews.

I would check Grizzly site or just google for pricing and vendors. I know Woodcraft carries the little Rikon saws and the Jet are pretty common. The ones I saw were all under $300, most under $200 so you shouldnt have any trouble finding one in that price range.


Any of those three (Grizzly, Jet, Rikon) should be decent saws. I would avoid the Delta as it got several bad reviews.


Jeff:)

Rigid and ryobi have recondition stores in houston there are there are 3 In houston I have bought from them They are as new come with a 1 year warranty . I bought a finish nail (16) gauge ridge 49.00 its not a brad nailer , a 18 volt rigid lithium drill 79.00 had a case and 2 batteries and charger ,2 sanders belt 79.00 and finish in the corner for 14.00 a nice foster bit set 12 pc for 19.00 those are new .And a homelite log splitter 179.00 works great . Try craigslst for tools also Estate sales are one one the best places to buy tools (auction only)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.