IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

chickweed January 9th, 2011 08:15 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Lisa - that must have been an awesome sight!

Ski - those photos are hilarious - I love the first one!

lalbers January 9th, 2011 08:46 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Road trip to my place? that'll work- I'll fire up the hot tub, bring in a load of wood for the wood burner in the guest cabin- we can all pitch sleeping bags, and be mellow.
We could also go to the caribbean.

skiracer January 9th, 2011 10:23 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 690118)
Road trip to my place? that'll work- I'll fire up the hot tub, bring in a load of wood for the wood burner in the guest cabin- we can all pitch sleeping bags, and be mellow.
We could also go to the caribbean.

lalbers,
sounds like you have a nice place. are you anywhere near kit carson national park?
lisa and i ended up there one day while going on a cross country camping trip on our honeymoon. we were sleeping in our IH Scout and during the night, it was pitch black out, we hear some terrible growling and screaming. some animal was killing some other animal. i didnt bother shining a light because i didnt know what it was and didnt need to attract it to us whatever it was. in the morning there was a lamb or sheep about 30 ft. from our scout and it was completely torn apart. never saw what did it. do they have bears around there or could it have been some type of mountain lion or puma or another big cat. what do they have around there that could do that.

lalbers January 9th, 2011 10:57 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
ski- Kit Carson park is a few hours from us.
There are bears and cougars around here, as well as porcupines, skunks, elk, mule deer, squirrels, chipmunks, birds, eagles, hawks and others. We live with them, and they with us. I have walked these mountains for years, and seen bears and cougars, and they do not bother me- and I don't bother them. Della, my current dog, and my other dogs have never bothered them- they know their neighbors. I love this country, and feel safe walking outside in the middle of the night. Probly can't say that about city dwellers.
Actually, when hubs was in nursing school, we had our travel trailer in Kit Carson Park for a bit while he was doing clinicals- no hook ups- we were living on the edge, so to speak. OMG- a few nights it was so cold, that you couldn't put a piece of paper between us, we were cuddled so close.. Hubs is a good heater!

skiracer January 9th, 2011 11:54 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 690204)
ski- Kit Carson park is a few hours from us.
There are bears and cougars around here, as well as porcupines, skunks, elk, mule deer, squirrels, chipmunks, birds, eagles, hawks and others. We live with them, and they with us. I have walked these mountains for years, and seen bears and cougars, and they do not bother me- and I don't bother them. Della, my current dog, and my other dogs have never bothered them- they know their neighbors. I love this country, and feel safe walking outside in the middle of the night. Probly can't say that about city dwellers.
Actually, when hubs was in nursing school, we had our travel trailer in Kit Carson Park for a bit while he was doing clinicals- no hook ups- we were living on the edge, so to speak. OMG- a few nights it was so cold, that you couldn't put a piece of paper between us, we were cuddled so close.. Hubs is a good heater!

funny that you mention about the cold. i remember that night it was very cold. i dont think you could have slipped a piece of paper between us either that night.
the wild animals dont bother me. i love them. just remember it as a very very cold pitch black night and the growling was pretty loud. poor goat or lamb was really getting ripped apart.

redneckplanter January 10th, 2011 01:33 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
evening ya'lls...smiles

axhandle January 10th, 2011 11:27 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 690245)
evening ya'lls...smiles

Evening, Plant had to go off air last evening--the storm knocked out the server.

Anything hit you?--roads here ar about 1 inch ice covered by 1 inch snow---I'm not going anywhere , anyway--:)

chickweed January 10th, 2011 11:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Thanks for checking in, Ax- been concerned about you. Stay hunkered down! It is heading this way, and I am afraid that we are in for an ice event, too. Hate it when that little weather alert button on my task bar won't quit blinking!

Garlicluvr January 10th, 2011 11:41 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 690534)
Thanks for checking in, Ax- been concerned about you. Stay hunkered down! It is heading this way, and I am afraid that we are in for an ice event, too. Hate it when that little weather alert button on my task bar won't quit blinking!

Stay safe Chickie. I hate ice storms but I will be Ok still have plenty of firewood in case the electricity goes out. I have had to cook on the woodstove before and can do it again, have plenty of candles too.


Jeff:)

lalbers January 10th, 2011 12:05 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Light snow here- supposed to get to -20 or so tonight. It's ok- we have plenty of wood and food. Running out of little umbrella's, tho....:(

Garlicluvr January 10th, 2011 12:09 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 690567)
Light snow here- supposed to get to -20 or so tonight. It's ok- we have plenty of wood and food. Running out of little umbrella's, tho....:(

Thats Ok lablers after three or four good drinks who cares about the umbrellas anyway. You could always recycle them.:D

chickweed January 10th, 2011 12:10 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Lol, Lisa! Right now I am more concerned about finding my big, sturdy umbrella. Those little collapsible dollar store ones are no good in ice and wind - and I have to keep Yoda dry!

woodwitch January 10th, 2011 12:16 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
4-5 inches of snow so far and still coming down hard.

skiracer January 10th, 2011 12:18 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 690526)
Evening, Plant had to go off air last evening--the storm knocked out the server.

Anything hit you?--roads here ar about 1 inch ice covered by 1 inch snow---I'm not going anywhere , anyway--:)

not worth trying to go out even on ice like that Ax even with 4 wd. stay in and enjoy wifes company. they're forecasting that storm to move right up the east coastline. not sure about ice storm here in nj but predicting 6-8 in. of snow.

lalbers January 10th, 2011 12:21 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 690575)
Lol, Lisa! Right now I am more concerned about finding my big, sturdy umbrella. Those little collapsible dollar store ones are no good in ice and wind - and I have to keep Yoda dry!

Can't you use his ears for that?

axhandle January 10th, 2011 12:36 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 690534)
Thanks for checking in, Ax- been concerned about you. Stay hunkered down! It is heading this way, and I am afraid that we are in for an ice event, too. Hate it when that little weather alert button on my task bar won't quit blinking!

Daughter and Son , about 30 miles N. got 6 inches of snow, highly, highly unusual--We got caught in the slurry belt--sleet,rain snow then dropped down to below freezing.When this happens here there is thunder and lightening due to the varied mix of temps and conditions.

All is well--it's headed your and Jeff's way.

Thanks---Ax.

axhandle January 10th, 2011 12:39 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 690582)
not worth trying to go out even on ice like that Ax even with 4 wd. stay in and enjoy wifes company. they're forecasting that storm to move right up the east coastline. not sure about ice storm here in nj but predicting 6-8 in. of snow.

Hadn't been two cars by since last night--the "Locals" are having a blast in the Pickem up Trucks , 4 wheelers and even bicycles.

Roads are officially closed. Yep--it's headed in your direction.:)

axhandle January 10th, 2011 12:41 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 690574)
Thats Ok lablers after three or four good drinks who cares about the umbrellas anyway. You could always recycle them.:D

Flu Cure:

Take two glasses one with water a third full. Pour three fingers of vodka, tequila etc--in the other, throw the water away and drink the booze--:)

skiracer January 11th, 2011 08:51 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
here are 3 pics. fairly well know painter who at times used vegetables to create portraits of famous early Italian royalities as was commissioned as an artist for the Hapsburg Court for 25 years. i'll show 3 of his more well known portraits in this style and see if we need further clues.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/1455/pic1xy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8950/pic2fo.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/941/pic3nb.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chickweed January 11th, 2011 09:32 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Would you, perhaps, be referring to Giuseppe Arcimboldo's Feast for the Eyes?

Garlicluvr January 11th, 2011 09:37 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Looks like Chick got it again. All I know is that fish guy is kinda creepy and the twig guy in the middle is quite warty.:D

Guy did have some serious talent though. All I can say is he must have been smoking some real good stuff.:D

Jeff:)

w8in4dave January 11th, 2011 11:07 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 690843)
here are 3 pics. fairly well know painter who at times used vegetables to create portraits of famous early Italian royalities as was commissioned as an artist for the Hapsburg Court for 25 years. i'll show 3 of his more well known portraits in this style and see if we need further clues.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/1455/pic1xy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8950/pic2fo.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/941/pic3nb.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LOL Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w8in4dave January 11th, 2011 11:08 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
3rd one must be for Lalbs...it is sea food!

skiracer January 11th, 2011 11:20 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 690860)
Would you, perhaps, be referring to Giuseppe Arcimboldo's Feast for the Eyes?

very good Chick! and that was pretty fast. who is this masked woman? Do you get the "Smithsoniana" magazine Chick?

skiracer January 11th, 2011 11:22 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 690864)
Looks like Chick got it again. All I know is that fish guy is kinda creepy and the twig guy in the middle is quite warty.:D

Guy did have some serious talent though. All I can say is he must have been smoking some real good stuff.:D

Jeff:)

not sure about what he was imbibing one way or another Jeff. Some said he was "mad" but maybe he was just loaded instead!!

chickweed January 11th, 2011 11:52 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 690926)
very good Chick! and that was pretty fast. who is this masked woman? Do you get the "Smithsoniana" magazine Chick?

I have been known to subscribe. And I love weird!

chickweed January 11th, 2011 11:54 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 690919)
3rd one must be for Lalbs...it is sea food!

I think the third one is lalbs self portrait:D

Garlicluvr January 12th, 2011 01:01 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 690943)
I think the third one is lalbs self portrait:D

LOL Chick

Is Sir Ax still locked out? Then again with the ice and snow in Bama may have lost power.

We miss you Ax come by soon. If you dont who knows what kind of mischief we may get into on your thread!:D


Jeff:)

chickweed January 12th, 2011 01:44 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I will come clean....I read the Smithsonian mag online....the artist is featured this month. Even my pea brain could remember seeing those pictures! I am not smart - just an insomniac.

skiracer January 12th, 2011 01:51 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691136)
I will come clean....I read the Smithsonian mag online....the artist is featured this month. Even my pea brain could remember seeing those pictures! I am not smart - just an insomniac.

excellent mag. i receive the paper copy everymonth. the online is great for when you are in front of a computer. so that was just luck then! still good retention but those paintings would be hard to forget. he was / is a recognized well thought of painter of that period.
i've got a few in mind that i post more of the way Ax did the one of vermeers with the milk pan. alittle bit at a time and a clue now and then.

lalbers January 12th, 2011 02:19 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I only see one shrimp, and no little umbrella's, so this guy is not an artist I'm interested in:) No shrimp cocktail dipping sauce either.

Dawn this morning, still in bed, Cato, the trained attack kitten came upstairs (-17 last night)- I'm still sleepy, not paying much attention... She jumps on the bed- leaps from my arm, up to the celing fan overhead- Ok, I turn on lights- she's brought a bird inside. Me- no contact lenses on, fumbling around to find said bird, while Cato, and Taffybug are also searching. I found bird- panting- held it in my hand where it was warm and safe (Cato and Taffy still hunting)- didn't seem hurt- opened the window- and out it flew. Cato was looking very injured- why did you let my bird go?

chickweed January 12th, 2011 02:36 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 691152)
I only see one shrimp, and no little umbrella's, so this guy is not an artist I'm interested in:) No shrimp cocktail dipping sauce either.

Dawn this morning, still in bed, Cato, the trained attack kitten came upstairs (-17 last night)- I'm still sleepy, not paying much attention... She jumps on the bed- leaps from my arm, up to the celing fan overhead- Ok, I turn on lights- she's brought a bird inside. Me- no contact lenses on, fumbling around to find said bird, while Cato, and Taffybug are also searching. I found bird- panting- held it in my hand where it was warm and safe (Cato and Taffy still hunting)- didn't seem hurt- opened the window- and out it flew. Cato was looking very injured- why did you let my bird go?

You are a good woman! You deserve little umbrellas.:)

lalbers January 12th, 2011 02:39 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
How about a cabana dude with shrimp cocktails? (I know, I'm obsessed. It's cold outside, and I want to go to the Caribbean)

skiracer January 12th, 2011 03:00 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 691164)
How about a cabana dude with shrimp cocktails? (I know, I'm obsessed. It's cold outside, and I want to go to the Caribbean)

good friends i grew up with have a restaurant on Anguila in the British West Indies. the restaurant is called "Luna Rosa" and alot of actors, writers, rich boys and girls hang out there during the season. the beaches are rated the best in the world and my friends beach footage is right next to the one that was rated #1 a few years ago. one of my best friends runs the joint during the high season, right around now, and is the greeter and seater when you come in. he's one of the smoothest guys in the world. 67 and could be in the movies and can get you whatever you want. he's been home for Christmas and New Years and is going back down in next week. so anytime after next week ladies and i can set up a place to stay and set you up with my buddy Joe Rocco. he'll make sure you get a nice place to stay and whatever else you need.

lalbers January 12th, 2011 03:19 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Did someone say road trip??????

skiracer January 12th, 2011 03:39 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 691188)
Did someone say road trip??????

he's one of those easy going guys that loves to serve and take care of people. and anguila is one of the nicest places in the world. there is a hotel there that has a small casino and a small shopping center.

lalbers January 12th, 2011 03:59 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
You are a very evil person, skiracer- I just googled scuba diving in Anguila, BWI- I want to go!!!!!!!!! Thanks

tweed January 12th, 2011 04:01 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Woo Hoo! I'm back!

skiracer January 12th, 2011 04:05 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 691219)
You are a very evil person, skiracer- I just googled scuba diving in Anguila, BWI- I want to go!!!!!!!!! Thanks

you cannot believe how blue and clear the water is there. you can see 20-30 ft. down without any problem. and very hot.

lalbers January 12th, 2011 04:13 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I don't do hot (well, I am, but that's beside the point):) Ambient temps there are nice, water temps are nice, visibility in water is really good from what I've read, reefs are healthy- If they have cabana dudes, well- ladies???????

skiracer January 12th, 2011 04:20 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
it gets hot there. google "CusineArt Resorts" or google map "anguila, british west indies". jet to san juan and boat or small plane to anguila.

woodwitch January 12th, 2011 04:30 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 691236)
it gets hot there. google "CusineArt Resorts" or google map "anguila, british west indies". jet to san juan and boat or small plane to anguila.

You are such a tease Ski. That would be heaven.

skiracer January 12th, 2011 06:14 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 691248)
You are such a tease Ski. That would be heaven.

i am wood. anguila is as nice as it gets down there but there is not alot of nightlife other than the CusineArt Hotel, which is first class and has gambling and a nice night club and a few other restaurants with some nightlife but not much. its for enjoying the beach and the water and the sun. i think there are homes for rental. 5-7 women could probably find one that they could afford for a week. you can walk to a beach from anywhere in a few minutes. you can buy food there and cook in if you wanted and buy booze right there or in San Juan and bring it in. nice place to just lay back. definitely not vegas.

chickweed January 12th, 2011 06:17 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Is Ski trying to get rid of us?

lalbers January 12th, 2011 06:45 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I'm game to go, even if he doesn't want to be our token cabana dude! Oh, that sounds nice right about now---- beaches, seafood..... Not into gambling, (too cheap), but scuba diving- yes!

skiracer January 12th, 2011 06:49 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691358)
Is Ski trying to get rid of us?

Chick,
Im trying to broker the trip. i'll be the tour guide and activity specialist besides i have the best connection on the island. the group buys me a ticket and i go along to supervise and make sure that everything goes as smooth as silk.

chickweed January 12th, 2011 06:49 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I am concerned about Ax. They really got slammed in his area.

tweed January 12th, 2011 06:56 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691393)
I am concerned about Ax. They really got slammed in his area.

Yup.
Heavy, heavy ice.
Hope he and hisun' are ok.

Steve

lalbers January 12th, 2011 06:57 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ski wants to supervise 6-8 women????? woah!!!:)

skiracer January 12th, 2011 06:57 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 691386)
I'm game to go, even if he doesn't want to be our token cabana dude! Oh, that sounds nice right about now---- beaches, seafood..... Not into gambling, (too cheap), but scuba diving- yes!

scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing, big game fishing for a number of different fish, and putting a chaise lounge out about a foot deep and laying out while the waiter brings you whatever it is you want to eat or drink. you could rent a scooter or get a driver and be at any of the numerous beaches in 10-15 mins. easy to do a different beach everyday. i like the north side and my friends restaurant is on the north side. i go down once a year for a few days or a week and we get pleasantly drunk every night and then dry out during the day in the sun. start up again around 3 pm and keep going late into the night. hit the beach around 10 am and dryout until 3 pm. im skiing right now but sometime around the mid of march i try to go. out of season and much cheaper. no rich and famous but everything else is the same.

lalbers January 12th, 2011 06:58 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ski- activity specialist ( she's trying not to snicker)- really, tell me about the diving and facilities there

chickweed January 12th, 2011 06:59 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 691392)
Chick,
Im trying to broker the trip. i'll be the tour guide and activity specialist besides i have the best connection on the island. the group buys me a ticket and i go along to supervise and make sure that everything goes as smooth as silk.

Works for me. Just make sure we have surf casting gear - I don't dive.:D

skiracer January 12th, 2011 07:10 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 691410)
Ski- activity specialist ( she's trying not to snicker)- really, tell me about the diving and facilities there


lalbers,
I thought activity specialist work catch your attention. I'm sure that a boat and all the equipment can be rented with someone that would be able to take you out for a great diving experience.

Chick,
some of the best fishing in the world for a number of species. again there are a number of different people that would supply the boat and equipment to go out.

axhandle January 13th, 2011 07:45 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I see Idig got back up.

chickweed January 13th, 2011 07:47 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax! Good morning! We have all been very concerned about you. Did you make it thru the storm unscathed?

axhandle January 13th, 2011 08:03 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691694)
Ax! Good morning! We have all been very concerned about you. Did you make it thru the storm unscathed?

Good Morning--point of fact ,yes--actually a rather delightful four days.:)

My wanderlust has been bugging me for about a month, and I took advantage of the weather to get outside--strange as that may seem.

Didn't go off the property--roads closed --despite no power loss I cooked some Dutch Oven Camp Stew in the fireplace, cast some bullets, hauled more wood onto the porch,etc. made friends again with Mother Nature.

I did have a bit if an adventure--and still pondering it--I had a "visitor which I call "The Thing"--am pretty good at tracking and tracks --but this one has me very puzzled------

Will post pics and some more description--in next post.

Thanks for thoughts ,and did the storm hit you?

chickweed January 13th, 2011 08:26 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
It missed us Ax. We got ice - but minimal and no measurable snow. All was good,here.

axhandle January 13th, 2011 08:37 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
3 Attachment(s)
May not look like much to some, but "Black Ice" is our problem here--snow, sleet and rain fell about 33 degrees, melt--temp fall at night--an inch of solid ice--went for three days like that melt refreeze.

1.On the way to the local service station, fellow down the road.
2.Looks like a washing machine ran over, the hosepipe was frozen and trapped the cold, pavement melted around it--took me aghast when I saw it--the washer is upstairs!
3."Snug as a Bug"

axhandle January 13th, 2011 08:44 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691700)
It missed us Ax. We got ice - but minimal and no measurable snow. All was good,here.

It shut Atlanta down--literally--worlds largest air traffic facility, they got hit worse than us here.Most snow reported was in NE Alabama, 8 inches --highly unusual.
Chuckle--lots of Auburn fans didn't make it to Arizona--some of the tickets as , the grapevine says--$20,000 per seat--not me--:)

Some real chuckles on the news--pics folks sent in to local station--my favorite
two girls one with a half gallon of milk the other with a loaf of bread--halter tops , shorts and barefooted jumping around in the snow.!My kinda gals--:)

Glad you didn't get hit too bad wonder how the rest up that way fared?--Jeff, Ski, Tweed etc.

Garlicluvr January 13th, 2011 09:40 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I am fine here Ax: didnt really get much of anything 1/2" of snow and a bit of ice in the mornings/evenings but thats it. They are somewhat used to ice here and salt the main roads well so they are usually fine.

Glad to hear that you are Ok.

Funny how being stuck in the house, snowed in etc. can bring us back to nature and often is a pleasant experience. I dont like long power outages as my house is mostly electric but other than that dont mind storms. I have the woodstove and always have wood so I can manage usually have a full tank of chainsaw gas and full tank of diesel in the John Deere for any storm cleanup.

I need to change my all electric situation. I do have oil heat but without the electric blower and ignitor doesnt do much. I would like gas or propane stove, oven and water heater but wife's great uncle who lives with us is terrified of them so will wait for now, not worth all the conflict.


Jeff:)

axhandle January 13th, 2011 10:33 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 691739)
I am fine here Ax: didnt really get much of anything 1/2" of snow and a bit of ice in the mornings/evenings but thats it. They are somewhat used to ice here and salt the main roads well so they are usually fine.

Glad to hear that you are Ok.

Funny how being stuck in the house, snowed in etc. can bring us back to nature and often is a pleasant experience. I dont like long power outages as my house is mostly electric but other than that dont mind storms. I have the woodstove and always have wood so I can manage usually have a full tank of chainsaw gas and full tank of diesel in the John Deere for any storm cleanup.

I need to change my all electric situation. I do have oil heat but without the electric blower and ignitor doesnt do much. I would like gas or propane stove, oven and water heater but wife's great uncle who lives with us is terrified of them so will wait for now, not worth all the conflict.


Jeff:)

Good to see it--noted the blizzard was set to hit NY and knew you may have been in the path.We have nat gas and only ran it a total of about half a day for the last four,, fed fireplace and living room stayed about a nice 72 degrees, cut utilities to boot.:)

Posting pics/etc on my-- visitor--"The Thing" I call it--any expertise appreciated --this one has me stumped.

woodwitch January 13th, 2011 10:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
[QUOTE=axhandle;691696]Good Morning--point of fact ,yes--actually a rather delightful four days.:)

My wanderlust has been bugging me for about a month, and I took advantage of the weather to get outside--strange as that may seem.

Didn't go off the property--roads closed --despite no power loss I cooked some Dutch Oven Camp Stew in the fireplace, cast some bullets, hauled more wood onto the porch,etc. made friends again with Mother Nature.

I did have a bit if an adventure--and still pondering it--I had a "visitor which I call "The Thing"--am pretty good at tracking and tracks --but this one has me very puzzled------

Will post pics and some more description--in next post.

Glad to see you back. As to your visitor Big Foot?????:eek:

axhandle January 13th, 2011 10:49 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
6 Attachment(s)
"The Thing"

Two mornings ago it came in from the NW traversed about 100 feet by the car almost in a straight line,, then on to the sidewalk.

"It" paused on the sidewalk right outside the middle bedroom window(note tracks "feet" are side by side.

Proceeded down the sidewalk made a round thru Misuus' flower bed , struck out in a straight line due N, about 75 ft, then came about NW for another 100ft practically where it came in.

"It" has two legs, a stride of 25 inches(see pics) and feet roughly half my size 9.5.

Am a fair tracker/tracks this one has me scratching my head, any notions appreciated.

If it's a stranded Alien thought I might invite them in to Chew the Fat--:)

Ignore pic 1 , punched in the wrong one.

axhandle January 13th, 2011 10:53 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
[QUOTE=woodwitch;691787]
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 691696)
Good Morning--point of fact ,yes--actually a rather delightful four days.:)

My wanderlust has been bugging me for about a month, and I took advantage of the weather to get outside--strange as that may seem.

Didn't go off the property--roads closed --despite no power loss I cooked some Dutch Oven Camp Stew in the fireplace, cast some bullets, hauled more wood onto the porch,etc. made friends again with Mother Nature.

I did have a bit if an adventure--and still pondering it--I had a "visitor which I call "The Thing"--am pretty good at tracking and tracks --but this one has me very puzzled------

Will post pics and some more description--in next post.

Glad to see you back. As to your visitor Big Foot?????:eek:

It was ,at that,glad to see you didn't get whacked there, caught up on reading and watching about 4 hrs of Our Gang comedies on TCM.

Slept like a log too--:)

P.S. "The Thing" posted.

woodwitch January 13th, 2011 10:59 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Weird tracks Ax. They are round which makes me think maybe horse with a long stride which makes it look like something with 2 legs. There are some gaited horses that move both legs on the same side at once. Was there still only 2 tracks when it stopped? If so I am going with alien.

chickweed January 13th, 2011 11:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Or hogzilla trying to disguise himself as a horse.

axhandle January 13th, 2011 11:27 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 691801)
Weird tracks Ax. They are round which makes me think maybe horse with a long stride which makes it look like something with 2 legs. There are some gaited horses that move both legs on the same side at once. Was there still only 2 tracks when it stopped? If so I am going with alien.

Just two--and a straight line, not offset.
Door neighbor has horses, will ask this thing is two legged.

axhandle January 13th, 2011 11:28 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691804)
Or hogzilla trying to disguise himself as a horse.

Hogzilla on a Pogo Stick!--wish I had gotten some pics--:D

chickweed January 13th, 2011 11:28 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
A lost penquin?

lalbers January 13th, 2011 11:44 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I'm going with an alien on a pogo stick equipped for ice/snow Hey, I live in NM, we have alien's here all the time.

Garlicluvr January 13th, 2011 02:49 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 691792)
"The Thing"

Two mornings ago it came in from the NW traversed about 100 feet by the car almost in a straight line,, then on to the sidewalk.

"It" paused on the sidewalk right outside the middle bedroom window(note tracks "feet" are side by side.

Proceeded down the sidewalk made a round thru Misuus' flower bed , struck out in a straight line due N, about 75 ft, then came about NW for another 100ft practically where it came in.

"It" has two legs, a stride of 25 inches(see pics) and feet roughly half my size 9.5.

Am a fair tracker/tracks this one has me scratching my head, any notions appreciated.

If it's a stranded Alien thought I might invite them in to Chew the Fat--:)

Ignore pic 1 , punched in the wrong one.

Satyr? or maybe El Chucacabra!:D


Snow fairy?


Jeff:)

Autumn January 13th, 2011 03:07 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Mornin' Ax, kanguru, large snow bunny, hope it's and alien, would love to sit down with one.

axhandle January 13th, 2011 04:17 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 691943)
Mornin' Ax, kanguru, large snow bunny, hope it's and alien, would love to sit down with one.

Don't know yet what it is/was but still pondering.
Be neat to talk to an alien.--:)

axhandle January 13th, 2011 04:26 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 691821)
A lost penquin?

Unless proven otherwise --I'm beginning to think it's one of these.--:)

And in keeping with I dig--it's a pic from "Johnny Crows Garden"--one of G'daughters favorite books, and mine--

axhandle January 13th, 2011 04:27 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Any one heard from Ajla,? lot's of flooding in Europe last week or so --hope all is well with her.

skiracer January 13th, 2011 09:15 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
well known painter. first clue could narrow it down because of the style but then many have tried to mimic that style so it could be a number of different painters of that period and style. looking for the painter and the name of the painting.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7590/renoir1.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

w8in4dave January 13th, 2011 11:20 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax it is amazing what goes thru your yard and you never know it.... we have just found out that our neighbors dog has been going thru the field , across the creek and coming in the barn to eat our cat food... we see the kids playing in the creek and it does run thru our property and that fine but their dog has been sneaking over and eating the catfood .. we can see the tracks leading from their house! But we gave them the dog a few years ago and well he thiks he owns both propertys now.. So we just keep the barn doors shut so Jack cannot come in :D

axhandle January 14th, 2011 08:00 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 692194)
Ax it is amazing what goes thru your yard and you never know it.... we have just found out that our neighbors dog has been going thru the field , across the creek and coming in the barn to eat our cat food... we see the kids playing in the creek and it does run thru our property and that fine but their dog has been sneaking over and eating the catfood .. we can see the tracks leading from their house! But we gave them the dog a few years ago and well he thiks he owns both propertys now.. So we just keep the barn doors shut so Jack cannot come in :D

Mornin, Dave--absolutely about 3000 acres of timber was cut about 5 miles from me ran the wildlife out, sightings here Turkey, Coyote,Deer--etc came in to the area.
Right now, my bane is an Armadillo-- he's tearing my back yard up big time.

Chuckle--the dog--he knows Dave puts out fine foods---:)

Been fishing lately?--I'd like to wrestle a Musky or Sturgeon right along now.

axhandle January 14th, 2011 08:10 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 692122)
well known painter. first clue could narrow it down because of the style but then many have tried to mimic that style so it could be a number of different painters of that period and style. looking for the painter and the name of the painting.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7590/renoir1.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A.Renoir:)--will let someone else ID the painting---one of my favorites in later years.

Good Shot,Ski!

axhandle January 14th, 2011 08:12 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Mystery solved on "The Thing":eek:---it's was a Fox, heck really wanted it to be an Alien.---:)

axhandle January 14th, 2011 08:20 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 692277)
Mornin, Dave--absolutely about 3000 acres of timber was cut about 5 miles from me ran the wildlife out, sightings here Turkey, Coyote,Deer--etc came in to the area.
Right now, my bane is an Armadillo-- he's tearing my back yard up big time.

Chuckle--the dog--he knows Dave puts out fine foods---:)

Been fishing lately?--I'd like to wrestle a Musky or Sturgeon right along now.

By the way, Dave did this one up for you--Re: Paris, Texas--Travis(Harry Dean Stanton) coming out of wandering in the Texas desert, one of the opening scenes in the movie.:)

Poor guy, relationship gone wrong he just lost it, after she left.

chickweed January 14th, 2011 08:50 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 692122)
well known painter. first clue could narrow it down because of the style but then many have tried to mimic that style so it could be a number of different painters of that period and style. looking for the painter and the name of the painting.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7590/renoir1.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is on the tip of my tongue! My favorite painting style.....Come on brain - engage!

Garlicluvr January 14th, 2011 08:54 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 692282)
A.Renoir:)--will let someone else ID the painting---one of my favorites in later years.

Good Shot,Ski!

Ax: Love Renoir too. Definately French Impressionist, not positive about Renoir, is it the Water Lilly painting by Monet?

Jeff:)

chickweed January 14th, 2011 08:57 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I want to say Monet....but what do I know?

Garlicluvr January 14th, 2011 08:59 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I know chick style is easy but there are several painters it could be. Monet, Renoir, Cezzane even.


Jeff:)

chickweed January 14th, 2011 09:10 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 692316)
I know chick style is easy but there are several painters it could be. Monet, Renoir, Cezzane even.


Jeff:)

The clue is in "mimicing the style"? And the bridge is not the typical arched bridge...

axhandle January 14th, 2011 09:49 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 692311)
It is on the tip of my tongue! My favorite painting style.....Come on brain - engage!

C'mon, Chick it's 'tha Corn on 'Tha Stick--you can get it---Renoir painted early on in drabber pigments then discovered more Aniline ones--

axhandle January 14th, 2011 09:56 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Not stealing Ski's Thunder right now ,---but 'Methinks(nudging things along:)) Renoir might have run in to Monet in his early years--

axhandle January 14th, 2011 10:00 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 692354)
Not stealing Ski's Thunder right now ,---but 'Methinks(nudging things along:)) Renoir might have run in to Monet in his early years--

Adjunct--Renoirs later years-my favorite--among others--

Chuckle--"and where does one put themselves in the painting?"

chickweed January 14th, 2011 10:02 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 692354)
Not stealing Ski's Thunder right now ,---but 'Methinks(nudging things along:)) Renoir might have run in to Monet in his early years--

It reminds me of Monet's Charing Cross Bridge.

axhandle January 14th, 2011 10:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 692357)
It reminds me of Monet's Charing Cross Bridge.

"Reminding" is not good enough--:D

chickweed January 14th, 2011 10:26 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 692359)
"Reminding" is not good enough--:D

Well....is it Charing Cross Bridge?:D

Garlicluvr January 14th, 2011 10:27 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Well Ski/Ax: I am still stumped. Color tones remind me of Monet or early Renoir and I know Ski really likes Renoir. The clue makes me lean towards Monet. I think I have the bridge nailed down but cant find the painting. It appears to be the bridge over the Seine, found Van Gough and Sisley paintings of same.

Still stumped.

Jeff:)

skiracer January 14th, 2011 10:29 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
[B]I must add that what you see there is only a part of the painting i have in mind. that bridge is in the background. you're warm with the painters and the period which has its own name./B]

skiracer January 14th, 2011 10:31 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
the style could definitely be applied to several artists but this one is his own. i'll enlarge the clue area on the pic later on.

axhandle January 14th, 2011 10:53 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 692373)
Well....is it Charing Cross Bridge?:D

Nope, It's a Renoir--bless his Soul--:)

axhandle January 14th, 2011 11:00 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 692374)
Well Ski/Ax: I am still stumped. Color tones remind me of Monet or early Renoir and I know Ski really likes Renoir. The clue makes me lean towards Monet. I think I have the bridge nailed down but cant find the painting. It appears to be the bridge over the Seine, found Van Gough and Sisley paintings of same.

Still stumped.

Jeff:)

Monet became Renoirs aspiration--but Renoir finally discovered "Blue Pigments",

Focus on Renoir , not Van Gogh nor Sisley, the Seine--a favorite haunt of Renoir--albeit, he had Rabies--just a side chuckle.---:)

w8in4dave January 14th, 2011 11:06 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Is it just called the Bridge ??? By Renoir?? You said it was just part of the pic ....

w8in4dave January 14th, 2011 11:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Alphonsine Fournaise On The Isle Of Chatou............... Haaaaaaaaa!! HEhehee what do I win?
http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/Pierr...Of-Chatou.html



well Ax your lucky someone has a flat tire ..... I just got the answer and you didn't notice.. LOL are you helping some poor young lady that has her skirt up or?? LOL Your so nice to help :D get the donut ......

axhandle January 14th, 2011 11:15 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
"Intermission Time"--(Co Kola, Popcorn,go to RR, and get some Gum)--"Missus woke me up and said--"Somebody had a flat tire out front"

Well, what can I say----

Credits--Greg Hidebrandt--"Eat your heart out turkey, I'll take care of this one", no Corvette deserves being Stranded on the Roadside"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.