IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle January 4th, 2011 09:44 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686407)
Ax - we need "tha hunt"! Getting my 1/4 share blank angus delivered tomorrow - need pork, now!

Man, O Man--Angus--One of my favorites.
I can see the hindquarters of a porker sizziling on the spit right now.:)
I'll see the hunter again, and some others by way of getting access to some property, the farmers are about fed up with getting their crops rooted up and loosening up now.

w8in4dave January 4th, 2011 11:15 PM

I'm sorry I heard Angus and thought it was the dinner bell ..... :D

axhandle January 5th, 2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 686492)
I'm sorry I heard Angus and thought it was the dinner bell ..... :D

Chowdown time at Chick's--:)
Been ice fishing lately Dave?---I always had a phobia about frozen over ponds,never got cold enough here to really freeze deep.

chickweed January 5th, 2011 07:53 AM

All are welcome at Chick's! Bring your shovels and we will have a garden party!

Garlicluvr January 5th, 2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686638)

On my way down Chickie.:D Just kidding but I do have a new digging spade to break in, Christmas gift and hasnt even gotten dirty yet. I need to break out the file and sharpen it up so it is ready for tree planting in the spring.

Jeff:)

Garlicluvr January 5th, 2011 07:58 AM

Good Morning Ax: How are things in Bama?

axhandle January 5th, 2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 686641)
Good Morning Ax: How are things in Bama?

Rather well, thanks and you?
Discovered last week I had been walking around with pneumonia, Doc is fixing me up tho--now I will get the promised parcel to you before long--

Incidentally have you visited the Constellation in Baltimore Harbor?
I went aboard the Constitution, sister ship, some years back---amazing--The crew is Regular Navy, assigned to that task alone, the dress ,mannerisms, etc are all period.

axhandle January 5th, 2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686638)

We'll dig a pig pit and bake it for a day and a half--tomato, onion, pork and beef kabobs.
Drooling already, I miss Summer.

chickweed January 5th, 2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 686651)
We'll dig a pig pit and bake it for a day and a half--tomato, onion, pork and beef kabobs.
Drooling already, I miss Summer.

Works for me!
And Jeff....don't tease me.....bring that spade!:D

Garlicluvr January 5th, 2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 686649)
Rather well, thanks and you?
Discovered last week I had been walking around with pneumonia, Doc is fixing me up tho--now I will get the promised parcel to you before long--

Incidentally have you visited the Constellation in Baltimore Harbor?
I went aboard the Constitution, sister ship, some years back---amazing--The crew is Regular Navy, assigned to that task alone, the dress ,mannerisms, etc are all period.

Ax: Glad to hear that the Doc fixed you up. No hurry on the parcel. I have been doing pretty well glad the kids are back in school at this age they can be a handful after awhile. Especially with being cooped up due to some pretty bitter weather they were going at each other pretty bad as brothers will do.

I havent been on the Constellation yet but did see it from the pier. Next time we go down to the inner harbor I need to make it a point to take the tour. The boys have been wanting to go on the submarine they have down there so will have to do both.

Garlicluvr January 5th, 2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686652)
Works for me!

We will have to get together sometime. I was waiting for you to get that bobcat skid loader you wanted.:D Didn't Ed get it for you for Christmas?;)

axhandle January 5th, 2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686652)
Works for me!

Mornin Chick, and how is the Commonwealth of Virginia today?

I ran across a forgotten book two nights ago--Colonial Williamsburg--a pictoral--did it ever bring back fond memories.

One of my fondest was walking towards Wm&Mary on the right side of the street--a Tavern Wench was thrown out, practically on top of me, and the ensuing ruckus in the street--they really put on a show there.--love it.

P.S. and I made a boo-boo(Re:your pics) it's the Magazine and not the Armory, but guess I can claim a cluttered mind:D

I can't remember which Tavern it was Raleigh or Wetterburns--I want to say Raleigh--they are opposite each other as I recall.

axhandle January 5th, 2011 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Chuckle "O 'Tha Day"--I have to take my hat off, So "Appro Po" in todays madness----Kudos to the submittor---

w8in4dave January 5th, 2011 11:37 AM

LOL Ax...now that is Funny!! No puking in the toilet??? Hehehehee no lifting if the leg ... LOL Heheheheee

chickweed January 5th, 2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 686661)
We will have to get together sometime. I was waiting for you to get that bobcat skid loader you wanted.:D Didn't Ed get it for you for Christmas?;)

LOL! He got me a Kindle, so I can read about it....

axhandle January 5th, 2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 686792)
LOL Ax...now that is Funny!! No puking in the toilet??? Hehehehee no lifting if the leg ... LOL Heheheheee

And, I might add--"no Spewing in the Herbs" sign---:)

chickweed January 5th, 2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 686663)
Mornin Chick, and how is the Commonwealth of Virginia today?

I ran across a forgotten book two nights ago--Colonial Williamsburg--a pictoral--did it ever bring back fond memories.

One of my fondest was walking towards Wm&Mary on the right side of the street--a Tavern Wench was thrown out, practically on top of me, and the ensuing ruckus in the street--they really put on a show there.--love it.

P.S. and I made a boo-boo(Re:your pics) it's the Magazine and not the Armory, but guess I can claim a cluttered mind:D

I can't remember which Tavern it was Raleigh or Wetterburns--I want to say Raleigh--they are opposite each other as I recall.

I knew what you meant. The Magazine is often called the Armory. Wenches get tossed out of the Raleigh Tavern quite often. It is used extensively for programs. Wetherburns is opened by uncostumed volunteers on a limited basis - but the garden behind Wetherburns is awesome. Just a little side tidbit....I know from firsthand knowledge that both taverns are haunted. And Tarpley's Store, and George Wythe's house, and Peyton Randlolph's house, and the gardens at the Governor's Palace, and the Capitol, and the theaters in the Visitor's Center, beyond any shadow of doubt- the Geddy House, and even a stretch of the Colonial Parkway...There are a lot of documented hauntings.....but those, I have experienced. I love that place! I love to roam the streets after dark.

axhandle January 5th, 2011 12:13 PM

Clue to "die Nagel"--"Frisches Brot", Frisches -"Milch"--Hint , Hint:):D--and all poured by very well made and glazed pottery--

Dave and Ajla already know the answer--

Dave--the window panes--remember-the light comes in from the left and illuminates the kitchen.

Garlicluvr January 5th, 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 686790)
"Chuckle "O 'Tha Day"--I have to take my hat off, So "Appro Po" in todays madness----Kudos to the submittor---

I love that sign Ax.

Garlicluvr January 5th, 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686813)
I knew what you meant. The Magazine is often called the Armory. Wenches get tossed out of the Raleigh Tavern quite often. It is used extensively for programs. Wetherburns is opened by uncostumed volunteers on a limited basis - but the garden behind Wetherburns is awesome. Just a little side tidbit....I know from firsthand knowledge that both taverns are haunted. And Tarpley's Store, and George Wythe's house, and Peyton Randlolph's house, and the gardens at the Governor's Palace, and the Capitol, and the theaters in the Visitor's Center, beyond any shadow of doubt- the Geddy House, and even a stretch of the Colonial Parkway...There are a lot of documented hauntings.....but those, I have experienced. I love that place! I love to roam the streets after dark.

The confederate POW camp down the road from me at Point Lookout is also quite haunted. Many sightings of soldiers in the actual camp area and a female ghost that walks the beaches. The light house also has many sightings. I used to have to go through there to the Navy land at the end of the point to do maintenance about twicw a year. Would go in the lighthous often but never actually saw a ghost. I did experience some cold spots and such just no sounds or visual signs. The park rangers had almost all seen something at one time or other though.

They have a ghost walk down there every year around halloween.

I wouldnt mind spending the night in the lighthouse. They are not reputed to be evil or bad spirits just benign ones.

axhandle January 5th, 2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 686813)

"Thence--We Swagger Together":D

I have to go back one day after reading the book I found last night, reminders--I really love the street characters--can't throw them off--no way--:)

axhandle January 5th, 2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 686877)
I love that sign Ax.

Thought it was pretty neat.
Re: Ghosts/CW etc--will post a Spine Jerker tomorrow.

Hope you and yours are well.

axhandle January 5th, 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 687076)
Thought it was pretty neat.
Re: Ghosts/CW etc--will post a Spine Jerker tomorrow.

Hope you and yours are well.

P.S. I read some once on Point Lookout--good opportunity for a metal detector.:)

chickweed January 5th, 2011 06:46 PM

The Peyton Randolph House in CW is the only place with really bad spirits. They don't use it for any kind of evening programs anymore, and security guards always go in pairs - and never use the stairs alone. There is one that haunts the east theater in the visitor's center that slammed me against a wall one time. I reamed him out and told him that I was not afraid of him and he never got physical again. That guy is selective. He only gets aggressive with white women. It is believed that a lot of the ghosts in CW are not from Colonial times, but later. That one however, wears a tricorn hat - on two separte occassions I saw his shadow against the theater wall. He was walking down the stairs. The first time it happened, I thought it was the projectionist. Until I remembered that he was long gone - and did not dress in costume. And that I was the only coporeal being in the theater.

axhandle January 5th, 2011 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 686819)
Clue to "die Nagel"--"Frisches Brot", Frisches -"Milch"--Hint , Hint:):D--and all poured by very well made and glazed pottery--

Dave and Ajla already know the answer--

Dave--the window panes--remember-the light comes in from the left and illuminates the kitchen.

Another piece of the puzzle--

axhandle January 6th, 2011 08:22 AM

Last clue--answer tomorrow morning:

The painters name rhymes with Veneer

axhandle January 6th, 2011 08:33 AM

Was hunting CW relics about a mile into the forest on a sunshiny early fall day.
General Wilsons winter camp and remnants of the quarters were everywhere,I sat down for lunch, the bids were chirping, insects buzzing around all the noises of the forest.
Had taken a couple bites when all of a sudden everything went silent, could hear a pin drop--ever have the feeling someone or something was watching you, from the brush?--well so it was--I slowly got up, packed my grub and very softly exited the area--after I got enough foilage in between me and It--I broke into a fast trot.

Sasquatch?, Union soldiers spirit--heck if I know--but I had my .45 in my right hand and metal detector in the other---"Just a Gittin It":)

Garlicluvr January 6th, 2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 687170)
Another piece of the puzzle--

Ax: even without the clues I recognize this one. Vermeer's Milkmaid.

axhandle January 6th, 2011 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 687399)

Jeff wins 'Tha Seegar --it is indeed--and Vermeers Masterpiece tag.

axhandle January 6th, 2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 686660)
Ax: Glad to hear that the Doc fixed you up. No hurry on the parcel. I have been doing pretty well glad the kids are back in school at this age they can be a handful after awhile. Especially with being cooped up due to some pretty bitter weather they were going at each other pretty bad as brothers will do.

I havent been on the Constellation yet but did see it from the pier. Next time we go down to the inner harbor I need to make it a point to take the tour. The boys have been wanting to go on the submarine they have down there so will have to do both.

I'd tag along if I were there--love it.
Went abord a Russian Skorpian Class sub once in Ca.Very interesting--you could even operate the periscope on your own.Spartan, no frills typical Russian, but a deadly craft.

U.S.S. Drum (WWII) is down at battleship park in Mobile--talking about claustraphobia!--the ship's office and shower were about half the size of a broom closet.

Pepper January 6th, 2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 687386)
Was hunting CW relics about a mile into the forest on a sunshiny early fall day.
General Wilsons winter camp and remnants of the quarters were everywhere,I sat down for lunch, the bids were chirping, insects buzzing around all the noises of the forest.
Had taken a couple bites when all of a sudden everything went silent, could hear a pin drop--ever have the feeling someone or something was watching you, from the brush?--well so it was--I slowly got up, packed my grub and very softly exited the area--after I got enough foilage in between me and It--I broke into a fast trot.

Sasquatch?, Union soldiers spirit--heck if I know--but I had my .45 in my right hand and metal detector in the other---"Just a Gittin It":)

I have had that feeling before , hairs on your arms and neck up ,slight copper taste in mouth . yep about three years ago camping in river bottom had that feeliing , dog never moved 10 MM cocked ready layed there for about 2 hours listening dog never moved no ears up Pepper (my late dog) could hear an ant fart never moved but I knew someone/something was there didnt stay me and my son packed up and went home .

skiracer January 6th, 2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 687399)

good work Jeff!

axhandle January 6th, 2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 687443)
I have had that feeling before , hairs on your arms and neck up ,slight copper taste in mouth . yep about three years ago camping in river bottom had that feeliing , dog never moved 10 MM cocked ready layed there for about 2 hours listening dog never moved no ears up Pepper (my late dog) could hear an ant fart never moved but I knew someone/something was there didnt stay me and my son packed up and went home .

Yep, Pep--the one's where you can't see it , but can feel it are the spookiest.
Interesting on the dogs response.

Garlicluvr January 6th, 2011 11:52 AM

Those are great stories Ax and Pepper. I have gotten that watched feeling a few times in places and did the same left rather hurredly. Couldnt pin down what was wrong but something just didnt seem right. I have always believed in ghosts/spirits/presences and that there are good and bad.

Thanks Ski it happened to be one I am familiar with and have seen recently.

Ax: Those WWII subs were cramped, the modern ones are spacious in comparison but still cramped. I wouldnt want to serve on either, I prefer being on top of the water.

axhandle January 6th, 2011 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took this Xmas Day on the way to kids homes---Coal Tipple, c.'50's ,wanted to get out and explore(wanderlust is setting in), bbut figured I'd ask permission first.
Ignore the date--Missus' Christmas present

Garlicluvr January 7th, 2011 09:44 AM

Good morning Sir Ax: Hope life is treating you well.

Cant complain here Life is good.

I do need to break out the Nikon again it has been gathering dust for awhile.

Ordered some snow chains for the front wheels of my John Deere, just in case we get heavy snow like last years 30". The little tractor got me dug out but even in 4WD I did loose traction some times and have to dig her out a bit with the shovel.
Got the chains with the aggressive bar-grip, front wheels have standard auto tires 205 70 R14 so chains were not too expensive for them. Hate to price ones for the rear Ag-tires.

My mind is all over the place this morning. Want to get my asparagus bed cleaned up this weekend. Been waiting for all of the ferns to die off so I can hack them down and burn them off.

I hope all is well and good in Bama

Ajla January 7th, 2011 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 687598)
Took this Xmas Day on the way to kids homes---Coal Tipple, c.'50's ,wanted to get out and explore(wanderlust is setting in), bbut figured I'd ask permission first.
Ignore the date--Missus' Christmas present

Is that what it is?

axhandle January 7th, 2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 688076)
Is that what it is?

Sure is Ajla, thanks for Euro version--saving the pic, and,-- with your permission.

Growing up, in one of the biggest coal mining areas of the State--the streets were at first, natural soil, then Coal Slack, then when things got really modernized--Tar and Gravel---.Back in to the tipple, load up and good warmth.

I attach a pic--Me and "Fritz"--we spent many,-- and, all weekend adventures, together at G'Parents home--"Fritz" took care of me---

Goofy Me-have to find the pic----Any "Jennifers' there during the cold weather?--
Looks like we might need them this Winter.---unseasonaby cold this year.

Ajla January 7th, 2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 688094)
Sure is Ajla, thanks for Euro version--saving the pic, and,-- with your permission.

Growing up, in one of the biggest coal mining areas of the State--the streets were at first, natural soil, then Coal Slack, then when things got really modernized--Tar and Gravel---.Back in to the tipple, load up and good warmth.

I attach a pic--Me and "Fritz"--we spent many,-- and, all weekend adventures, together at G'Parents home--"Fritz" took care of me---

Goofy Me-have to find the pic----Any "Jennifers' there during the cold weather?--
Looks like we might need them this Winter.---unseasonaby cold this year.

What kind of Jennifers were you thinking of?

axhandle January 7th, 2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 688057)
Good morning Sir Ax: Hope life is treating you well.

Cant complain here Life is good.

I do need to break out the Nikon again it has been gathering dust for awhile.

Ordered some snow chains for the front wheels of my John Deere, just in case we get heavy snow like last years 30". The little tractor got me dug out but even in 4WD I did loose traction some times and have to dig her out a bit with the shovel.
Got the chains with the aggressive bar-grip, front wheels have standard auto tires 205 70 R14 so chains were not too expensive for them. Hate to price ones for the rear Ag-tires.

My mind is all over the place this morning. Want to get my asparagus bed cleaned up this weekend. Been waiting for all of the ferns to die off so I can hack them down and burn them off.

I hope all is well and good in Bama

Mornin, Jeff-- Snow Chains--"Lawdy Me!" am envious in one respect and, respect in the other.--:)

A Corollary, here is mud, Red Clay in 'Bama--and in Ga., and Louisiana,--(talk about Gumbo!!)--carry an extra 5 gals. of gas, if after three wreckers, much 'Cussin-- throw the gas on , light it , and walk off a better person.:)

Garlicluvr January 7th, 2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 688100)
Mornin, Jeff-- Snow Chains--"Lawdy Me!" am envious in one respect and, respect in the other.--:)

A Corollary, here is mud, Red Clay in 'Bama--and in Ga., and Louisiana,--(talk about Gumbo!!)--carry an extra 5 gals. of gas, if after three wreckers, much 'Cussin-- throw the gas on , light it , and walk off a better person.:)

LOL Ax: That reminds me of a story. Hunting and fishing buddy of mine up in Alaska, good guy but had a bit of a temper. We were out hunting Ptarmigan, parked his scout on the side of the road, icy area. We return from hunting a hilltop and he cant get traction as both of his back wheels if not all four are sitting on ice. After about twenty minutes of rocking it throwing anything we could find under the tires etc it is still just spinning. He gets so worked up he hauls off and shoots out his own back-side windshield. Might have even put a couple rounds of 12 gauge birdshot in her.

I was glad he wasnt upset at me.:D Laughed about it later, he admitting that sometimes his temper gets the best of him.

axhandle January 7th, 2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 688112)
LOL Ax: That reminds me of a story. Hunting and fishing buddy of mine up in Alaska, good guy but had a bit of a temper. We were out hunting Ptarmigan, parked his scout on the side of the road, icy area. We return from hunting a hilltop and he cant get traction as both of his back wheels if not all four are sitting on ice. After about twenty minutes of rocking it throwing anything we could find under the tires etc it is still just spinning. He gets so worked up he hauls off and shoots out his own back-side windshield. Might have even put a couple rounds of 12 gauge birdshot in her.

I was glad he wasnt upset at me.:D Laughed about it later, he admitting that sometimes his temper gets the best of him.

Priceless Moments in Time--my Friend was borderline Dyslexic, half Irish, and a very controlled temper to be same,--should have heard the expletives on the occasion he got fed up--:)
Really miss him.

chickweed January 7th, 2011 05:10 PM

The eagle has landed! Ski sent me a beautiful Barlow knife as my reward for guessing Ajla's puzzle! His clues were clear, but it took me awhile to figure it out! I am going to get a photo of it later if the alligators nipping at my butt - and my sickly husband allow it. It will be posted no later than tomorrow morning. Thank you Ski!

axhandle January 7th, 2011 06:50 PM

Congrats--life's rewards--Ski is a good man.

Hone the Barlow up-- it's a goody--:)

axhandle January 7th, 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 688096)
What kind of Jennifers were you thinking of?

Chuckle--my talk for Jenevers--:)

Garlicluvr January 7th, 2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 688367)
Chuckle--my talk for Jenevers--:)

Ax: Are you sure you werent thinking Jennifer Anniston?:D

I could use a couple of those.;)

skiracer January 7th, 2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 688348)
Congrats--life's rewards--Ski is a good man.

Hone the Barlow up-- it's a goody--:)

well thank you Ax. and back at you for sure bud. that Barlow is a nice pocket knife that the Knifecenter gave me as a bonus since i do a fair amount of business there. handle is inlaid teak in the oval outside ring, inside that a maroon reddish color oval, and inside that the inner area is turquoise. two blades, one long and one short. typical barlow model. nice knife for Chick. she earned it by beating us guys quite handily.

chickweed January 7th, 2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 688394)
well thank you Ax. and back at you for sure bud. that Barlow is a nice pocket knife that the Knifecenter gave me as a bonus since i do a fair amount of business there. handle is inlaid teak in the oval outside ring, inside that a maroon reddish color oval, and inside that the inner area is turquoise. two blades, one long and one short. typical barlow model. nice knife for Chick. she earned it by beating us guys quite handily.

Aw shucks! But I think I lied about the picture by morning....I gave my box of AAs to Mom the other day - and of course, I forgot to buy myself more. So the lecture I gave Mom about always having spare batteries on hand is coming back to bite me! And the camera needs batteries! I am so proud of the knife - I dared DH to touch it! That is Chickie's fresh herb knife! And as soon as I can get my hands on the right size batteries...

skiracer January 7th, 2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 688400)
Aw shucks! But I think I lied about the picture by morning....I gave my box of AAs to Mom the other day - and of course, I forgot to buy myself more. So the lecture I gave Mom about always having spare batteries on hand is coming back to bite me! And the camera needs batteries! I am so proud of the knife - I dared DH to touch it! That is Chickie's fresh herb knife! And as soon as I can get my hands on the right size batteries...

you better keep a firm hold on that Barlow Chick. DH just might "eminant domain" it on you.

chickweed January 7th, 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 688404)
you better keep a firm hold on that Barlow Chick. DH just might "eminant domain" it on you.

I don't THINK so! I don't touch his chain saw or the lawn tractor - and he doesn't touch my special knives. I don't even let him sharpen my Wusthof chef's knife. Some things are sacred.:D

skiracer January 7th, 2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 688439)
I don't THINK so! I don't touch his chain saw or the lawn tractor - and he doesn't touch my special knives. I don't even let him sharpen my Wusthof chef's knife. Some things are sacred.:D

Its funny that you mentioned that. in my office at home i have three old antique oak desks and oak chairs. the type that swivel. on one of the desks i have a large number knives of all types. all fixed blades of varying lengths and styles. that is my knife desk. i like them like that so that i can see and pick them up anytime i want and i know exactly how they are arranged and exactly where they are at. so i come home and everything is changed around and im about to go ballistic. but i ask lisa where are all my knives and she points to under another piece of furniture and there is a large trunk. in there she says. so i pull it out, quite easily, and open it and there arranged 10 times better than I would ever arrange them are my knives each one wrapped in cloth in their sheaths and / or in the original box. so nice and out of the way and now i can use that desk for anything that i want to. maybe another computer setup or anything. more room. i missed by a hairsbreath of making a jerk out of myself by going off before i took the time to look at what she had done for me. im quite happy with what she did out of love but darnit i still get that feeling when someone messes with my stuff, especially the guns, bows, or knives. that was a close one. i know how you feel about your knives and how your husband feels about his equipment. its amazing how we live together all these years.

axhandle January 7th, 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 688391)
Ax: Are you sure you werent thinking Jennifer Anniston?:D

I could use a couple of those.;)

Well, since you brought it up---maybe a Jennifer with my Jenever--:D

axhandle January 7th, 2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 688474)
Its funny that you mentioned that. in my office at home i have three old antique oak desks and oak chairs. the type that swivel. on one of the desks i have a large number knives of all types. all fixed blades of varying lengths and styles. that is my knife desk. i like them like that so that i can see and pick them up anytime i want and i know exactly how they are arranged and exactly where they are at. so i come home and everything is changed around and im about to go ballistic. but i ask lisa where are all my knives and she points to under another piece of furniture and there is a large trunk. in there she says. so i pull it out, quite easily, and open it and there arranged 10 times better than I would ever arrange them are my knives each one wrapped in cloth in their sheaths and / or in the original box. so nice and out of the way and now i can use that desk for anything that i want to. maybe another computer setup or anything. more room. i missed by a hairsbreath of making a jerk out of myself by going off before i took the time to look at what she had done for me. im quite happy with what she did out of love but darnit i still get that feeling when someone messes with my stuff, especially the guns, bows, or knives. that was a close one. i know how you feel about your knives and how your husband feels about his equipment. its amazing how we live together all these years.

Chuckle --it's a trip--Strange noise late one night--grabbed the .45 and went down the hall--some varmit outside.

Next morning--"Dear did you take the clip out?"
"Yes I took it out and put it in the sock drawer"--

Good thing it was a false alarm, otherwise I'd been swatting someone else's bullets with an empty piece.:D

chickweed January 7th, 2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 688483)
Chuckle --it's a trip--Strange noise late one night--grabbed the .45 and went down the hall--some varmit outside.

Good thing it was a false alarm, otherwise I'd been swatting someone else's bullets with an empty piece.:D

LOL! That is funny! Now....but thank goodness, you did not need the clip. I have never understood the rationale of having a gun for protection and not keeping it loaded. IMO, if you can't have it accessible and loaded, then you might as well not have it - rely on something you can actually use (iron skillets come to mind). I doubt if an intruder would call a time out while you find the ammo and load it!:D

tweed January 8th, 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 688483)

Reminds me of my late grandmother who was in her 70's at the time.
Used to be that everyone kept their doors unlocked with one exception.......When "Convicts were on the loose".
Well, just so happened that some were on the "loose" and grandma had secured the house for the night.
In the middle of the night she awoke to some noise.
She reached into the headboard and retrieved her trusty .38, but not her glasses.
Upon seeing a silhouette of a head (without her glasses mind you) she instinctively quick aim & fired the S&W.
She turned on the light, only to discover that she had shot her hanging flower pot into a million pieces! :D

Steve

skiracer January 8th, 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 688499)
LOL! That is funny! Now....but thank goodness, you did not need the clip. I have never understood the rationale of having a gun for protection and not keeping it loaded. IMO, if you can't have it accessible and loaded, then you might as well not have it - rely on something you can actually use (iron skillets come to mind). I doubt if an intruder would call a time out while you find the ammo and load it!:D

Chick,
I would not underestimate Ax's proficiency and ability at having that piece and the ammo in a spot nearby him that he would be able to lock and load in no time. I wouldnt feel sorry for any intruder thinking he was going to have some easy pickins at Ax's compound.

w8in4dave January 8th, 2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 688731)
Used to be that everyone kept their doors unlocked with one exception.......When "Convicts were on the loose".
Well, just so happened that some were on the "loose" and grandma had secured the house for the night.
She reached into the headboard and retrieved her trusty .38, but not her glasses.
Upon seeing a silhouette of a head (without her glasses mind you) she instinctively quick aim & fired the S&W.
She turned on the light, only to discover that she had shot her hanging flower pot into a million pieces! :D

Steve

Now that is funny!! Wonder if she was able to save the plant??
I used to clean a friends house , as I was making the bed fluffing pillows I came across a handgun under the pillow......Aghhhh talk about scaring me to death!! So I never fluffed that side again lol........

tweed January 8th, 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 688782)
Now that is funny!! Wonder if she was able to save the plant??
I used to clean a friends house , as I was making the bed fluffing pillows I came across a handgun under the pillow......Aghhhh talk about scaring me to death!! So I never fluffed that side again lol........

Can't remember, W8in.
Do remember that we laughed long, hard & often repeating that story.

Steve

axhandle January 8th, 2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 688499)

Missus always unloads , if I forget, when the G'kids come over.

axhandle January 8th, 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 688731)

Steve

Hilaroius.---and I remember my G'Ma "convicts on the loose" thing too Tweed, back when.(Got a major State Facility about 15 miles from me.)
Too bad times have gone from leaving the front door open and keys in the car to what it is now.

axhandle January 8th, 2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 688772)
Chick,
I would not underestimate Ax's proficiency and ability at having that piece and the ammo in a spot nearby him that he would be able to lock and load in no time. I wouldnt feel sorry for any intruder thinking he was going to have some easy pickins at Ax's compound.

Chuckle --I had one round ,in the barrel--locked and loaded --Missus now reminds me the G'kids are comeing over.
Thanks,Ski and I wager no less in your 'hooch"--;):)

axhandle January 8th, 2011 05:26 PM

Neighbors heard a shotgun blast inside this fellow's(backhome) house.
They ran over and found him sitting on the couch-- grinning,-- and the T.V blown to bits.
"What happened R.J.!!???"

"I just outdrew Matt Dillon"

axhandle January 8th, 2011 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Talk about getting "Cornfused" one New Years night.

skiracer January 8th, 2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 689016)
Chuckle --I had one round ,in the barrel--locked and loaded --Missus now reminds me the G'kids are comeing over.
Thanks,Ski and I wager no less in your 'hooch"--;):)

some days i wish someone would give it a try Ax!;)

chickweed January 8th, 2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 688772)
Chick,

LOL, Ed! I am not doubting Ax at all. Just a general observation about so many people I know of that buy guns for personal protection and keep them in the nightstand - and put the bullets somewhere else because they don't want a loaded gun in the house:confused: Better be able to bluff!

chickweed January 8th, 2011 07:14 PM

I have batteries for the camera....and a picture of the knife. I used the CF catalog as a backdrop, because if it were not for Baker Creek, I would not know Ed. Plus - it is my kitchen herb knife, and what better back drop than a seed catalog!
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...dens/012-1.jpg

Isn't this beautiful?

skiracer January 8th, 2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 689144)
LOL, Ed! I am not doubting Ax at all. Just a general observation about so many people I know of that buy guns for personal protection and keep them in the nightstand - and put the bullets somewhere else because they don't want a loaded gun in the house:confused: Better be able to bluff!

well Chick, you can never be to careful and accidents do happen. i keep mine in a drawer with six shells right next to it in the drawer. i put a lock and a hasp on the drawer and i am the only one with a key to that lock. lisa hates it and what she hates even more is that i would pull the trigger in a heartbeat if i got the vibe that it was necessary. but if someone with bad thoughts were coming in i dont have to tell you the alternatives. but this is a bad day to be talking about guns and shooting anyone. its a shame someone didnt have one in their pocket when this lunatic went off today. some lives may have been saved.

skiracer January 8th, 2011 07:29 PM

i made that last post before i had a chance to see that you had posted a pic of the Barlow. looks great chick, nice job with the pic and setting up the backdrop. good looking pocket knife. i know you will keep it honed.

axhandle January 8th, 2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 689156)
I have batteries for the camera....and a picture of the knife. I used the CF catalog as a backdrop, because if it were not for Baker Creek, I would not know Ed. Plus - it is my kitchen herb knife, and what better back drop than a seed catalog!
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...dens/012-1.jpg

Isn't this beautiful?

It's a "Doozie"--

Garlicluvr January 8th, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 689017)
Neighbors heard a shotgun blast inside this fellow's(backhome) house.
They ran over and found him sitting on the couch-- grinning,-- and the T.V blown to bits.
"What happened R.J.!!???"

"I just outdrew Matt Dillon"

Ax: That is just classic.:) Gunsmoke was one of my Dad's favorite shows.

Garlicluvr January 8th, 2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 689171)
but this is a bad day to be talking about guns and shooting anyone. its a shame someone didnt have one in their pocket when this lunatic went off today. some lives may have been saved.

Ski: That is exactly what my Dad used to always say. He and my step-mother always carried but thankfully never had to use it. He was a small town Sheriff for a time. (think Mayberry even had his deputy called him Owl reminded me a bit of Barney Fife.)

axhandle January 8th, 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 689313)
Ax: That is just classic.:) Gunsmoke was one of my Dad's favorite shows.

Actually happened in my home town---My Uncle absolutely would not miss a single episode.

"We gotta get home in time for Gunsmoke":)

chickweed January 8th, 2011 09:38 PM

Sorry guys....when I made that post I did not know about the shootings. I had been sleeping all afternoon with the History Channel in the background. But, knowing me.....I would have made it anyway....

skiracer January 8th, 2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 689323)
Actually happened in my home town---My Uncle absolutely would not miss a single episode.

"We gotta get home in time for Gunsmoke":)

did you ever meet a more standup guy than marshall dillon? did he ever get around to kissing miss kittie. did that question ever get answered. the air and sexual overtones surrounding their relationship was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

redneckplanter January 9th, 2011 12:10 AM

howdy to ya'll in ax's corner...smiles

skiracer January 9th, 2011 12:26 AM

hey red, looking for some safe and quiet refuge? its a war zone out there in the hinterlands.

chickweed January 9th, 2011 12:38 AM

My father won't miss a Gunsmoke rerun, now. Because of the dementia, he thinks that he has never seen any of them before. Not even the ones that he watches now as reruns of reruns of reruns!

chickweed January 9th, 2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 689388)
did you ever meet a more standup guy than marshall dillon? did he ever get around to kissing miss kittie. did that question ever get answered. the air and sexual overtones surrounding their relationship was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Ed - he never kissed Miss Kitty. She kissed him on the cheek, once. He never used the f word either. No sex, no nudity, no foul language.....how did that show survive!:D

skiracer January 9th, 2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 689489)
Ed - he never kissed Miss Kitty. She kissed him on the cheek, once. He never used the f word either. No sex, no nudity, no foul language.....how did that show survive!:D

they were before we all became so educated, urban, and civilized chick.

chickweed January 9th, 2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 689492)
they were before we all became so educated, urban, and civilized chick.

I am ready to backslide, then. Never thought I would say this, but I have become quite fond of Walker, Texas Ranger reruns. I never watched it while it was on originally. There is something comforting in seeing justice prevail, bigotry overcome, clothed bodies, boundaries on public affection, not hearing profanity......
And that Walker has a cute little bum, too!

redneckplanter January 9th, 2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 689479)
hey red, looking for some safe and quiet refuge? its a war zone out there in the hinterlands.

i drropppppp in here from time to time smiles..........

axhandle January 9th, 2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 689388)

True so True---wish stuff was still like that in the media of today--we'd have less problems, all 'Round.

P.S. I think Chester was a might jealous.--:D

axhandle January 9th, 2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 689472)
howdy to ya'll in ax's corner...smiles

Mornin, Plant.

axhandle January 9th, 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 689479)

Glad it's "Outside the Wire"--;)

axhandle January 9th, 2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 689489)

I remember that one---vividly--

axhandle January 9th, 2011 11:06 AM

Well, ice storm supposed to hit this afternoon--coming out of Ms. and straight across to Atlanta.
Already got my "Kit" together--let 'Er Rip!!!

chickweed January 9th, 2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 689708)
Well, ice storm supposed to hit this afternoon--coming out of Ms. and straight across to Atlanta.
Already got my "Kit" together--let 'Er Rip!!!

Stay safe and warm Ax!

skiracer January 9th, 2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 689699)
Glad it's "Outside the Wire"--;)

this is one of the only really peaceful outposts in the entire zone Ax. must be all the mounted 60's inplace. but i think the real reason is you Ax and the strong positive vibe you spread "inside the wire" here.

woodwitch January 9th, 2011 04:29 PM

This is a safe place to hang out. No boogie men. Thank you Ax.

chickweed January 9th, 2011 06:32 PM

It is where I come....thanks from me, too, Ax.

skiracer January 9th, 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 690030)
It is where I come....thanks from me, too, Ax.

pretty soon we'll have all the ladies "inside the wire" here and we'll make a quilt.

woodwitch January 9th, 2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 690037)
pretty soon we'll have all the ladies "inside the wire" here and we'll make a quilt.

Oh no I can't sew. Can't we just bake cookies?:D

lalbers January 9th, 2011 06:54 PM

Ah- a nice, cozy place! Glad I peeked in. Hi, guys!

chickweed January 9th, 2011 07:09 PM

I can't sew either! But I make a mean monkey bread.

chickweed January 9th, 2011 07:09 PM

Hi, Lisa!

w8in4dave January 9th, 2011 07:13 PM

Chick are you feeding the monkeys bread?? LOL :p

skiracer January 9th, 2011 08:03 PM

on the lighter side!

Ah, this is nice!
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4...yingondog1.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I love a good shoe!
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9...gieinshoe2.jpg

what cat mom?
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/538...tingoncat3.jpg

naptime buddies
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1056/kittyondog4.jpg

<*********************************************** *>

lalbers January 9th, 2011 08:09 PM

Hopefully Chick's not feeding Yoda to someone:) Della and I just went for a run/ride on the snowmobile, and down on the dry lake below us were 8 cow elk, lying down for a nights sleep. We didn't disturb them, they just looked at us. Also saw turkey tracks- have some wild bird food out- maybe they'll come around again.

woodwitch January 9th, 2011 08:13 PM

Maybe we ought to just hide out here until spring. Lisa can invite a few cabana dudes and we can sip foo foo drinks. Haaaa that sounds like a good hideout.

chickweed January 9th, 2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 690053)
Chick are you feeding the monkeys bread?? LOL :p

YeP! they love it with cinnamon!