IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

jbest123 December 1st, 2010 01:06 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER

An antique re finisher received a civil war field desk to restore. He made detailed drawings of all the parts and asked me to make him six desks. Well, I made seven and there is one setting in my living room.

http://www.jbest123.com/woodworking/...vilwardesk.jpg

skiracer December 1st, 2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664984)
Missus and I found this, the weekend, 1890's,and what better a piece to write Memoirs on, do some Pen and Inks--I'm good--My Pelikans,pen tips, and E'Special Paper finally came to me--Und , "Wo Binst, Ax"---chuckle always the man behind the Camera--

I've always known this type of desk/secretary as a Texas High Boy. Some may call it something else but here is something out of one of our antique furniture guides and price catalogues detailing some examples of them and what they are worth. Our book is kind of old so these prices are most likely on the low end. This type of desk/secretary was typical and abundant around the end of the 19th century and they made them out of oak, cherry, walnut, mohogany and a number of combinations of these woods and a number of different styles. I see where a couple of the drawers werent in the drawer openings. Did you take them out or were they missing when you found the piece? Anyway it looks to be a nice piece regardless.
If I were going to clean it up I would take some denatured alcohol and a very fine grade of steel wool, perhaps #0000 or #000 but nothing coarser, and gently rub the surface with the alcohol and steel wool. then wipe that residue off with a cotton cloth and alcohol. do not swamp any glue joints with the alcohol as it may loosen the glue. a slow gentle process.
If I were going to put a price on it I would think somewhere between $350/450 from what I see from your pics and what I know of the market for this type of furniture. Of course that is with the full compliment of drawers. its becoming harder to find them anymore and especially in decent condition.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7...xashighboy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

skiracer December 1st, 2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 665718)
An antique re finisher received a civil war field desk to restore. He made detailed drawings of all the parts and asked me to make him six desks. Well, I made seven and there is one setting in my living room.

nice piece and work john. is that a water or oil based varnish finish or some sort of tung oil?

Autumn December 1st, 2010 02:04 PM

lov the twin beveled mirrors Ax, looks like something very special. bet the missus likes it 2.

jbest123 December 1st, 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665748)
nice piece and work john. is that a water or oil based varnish finish or some sort of tung oil?

I only tried water based stain and finish once and did not like it. The finish is Jacobean stain and either tung oil or Deft with a pumice rub. John

skiracer December 1st, 2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 665761)
I only tried water based stain and finish once and did not like it. The finish is Jacobean stain and either tung oil or Deft with a pumice rub. John

it looks good and clean work. i love tung oil and use it almost exclusively now on all of my work except tabletops where i need a high gloss hard protective finish.

axhandle December 1st, 2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 665718)

Absolutely gorgeous, John--I believe I have seen similar ones in some of the CW articles and pics.
It's a beauty--Ax.

axhandle December 1st, 2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 665756)
lov the twin beveled mirrors Ax, looks like something very special. bet the missus likes it 2.

They are the origionals, thick and the old silver cyanide process--only two little specks.
We hardly ever splurge on things, but we both had to have this one.
Hope you are well--and thanks for post---Ax.

axhandle December 1st, 2010 03:09 PM

I got stuck on Behr's Swedish Tung oil finish, my favorite--and for those things away from water--Orange Shellac--

axhandle December 1st, 2010 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665746)
I've always known this type of desk/secretary as a Texas High Boy. Some may call it something else but here is something out of one of our antique furniture guides and price catalogues detailing some examples of them and what they are worth. Our book is kind of old so these prices are most likely on the low end. This type of desk/secretary was typical and abundant around the end of the 19th century and they made them out of oak, cherry, walnut, mohogany and a number of combinations of these woods and a number of different styles. I see where a couple of the drawers werent in the drawer openings. Did you take them out or were they missing when you found the piece? Anyway it looks to be a nice piece regardless.
If I were going to clean it up I would take some denatured alcohol and a very fine grade of steel wool, perhaps #0000 or #000 but nothing coarser, and gently rub the surface with the alcohol and steel wool. then wipe that residue off with a cotton cloth and alcohol. do not swamp any glue joints with the alcohol as it may loosen the glue. a slow gentle process.
If I were going to put a price on it I would think somewhere between $350/450 from what I see from your pics and what I know of the market for this type of furniture. Of course that is with the full compliment of drawers. its becoming harder to find them anymore and especially in decent condition.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7...xashighboy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sharp eye, and thanks ,Ski I posted the wrong pic--it lacks 1 lock,(already located one) an escutcheon and a key--otherwise all there.

Double thanks for price and finish info,--I came in 'in the Black' on this one--:)

Autumn December 1st, 2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665793)
They are the origionals, thick and the old silver cyanide process--only two little specks.
We hardly ever splurge on things, but we both had to have this one.
Hope you are well--and thanks for post---Ax.

I could tell by looking at them they were original, lucky find Ax. Plus, you and missus had the joy in finding it. Nice to know when to splurge...was just reading the post by Herb asking for prayers, Herb is in my prayers as are your son and his family. All is well here, still cutting back but things are good. Kids all have their jobs and are working hard to hang onto them. No time to whine or complain, better to shine at what you do. A good time for families to pitch in and help each other. Stay well and continue those fantastic finds.:)

skiracer December 1st, 2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665797)
Sharp eye, and thanks ,Ski I posted the wrong pic--it lacks 1 lock,(already located one) an escutcheon and a key--otherwise all there.

Double thanks for price and finish info,--I came in 'in the Black' on this one--:)

Lisa and i are antique hounds. you got yourself a primo piece. first time i have seen one like this with the two oval mirrors at the top. If you have a problem locating a key or an estecheon or a handle pull put a pic of the piece you need and I just might have one lying around in my box of stuff or might run into the one you need. ive got a load of that old hardware. and no charge and no problemo if i have it in the box. we are always going to estate and garage sales and flea markets so i see and come across alot of the old hardware.

Garlicluvr December 1st, 2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665794)
I got stuck on Behr's Swedish Tung oil finish, my favorite--and for those things away from water--Orange Shellac--

I am a fan of tung oil too and also of a shellac and wax finish. I do three to four thin coats of shellac buffing between each one then topcoat with finishing wax and buff to a nice deep luster. Gives the finish a nice depth and if it dulls a bit with time just buff apply another thin coat of finishing wax and buff out.

Again that desk is a beauty Ax, and unique with the oval mirrors.

Jeff:)

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 665842)
I could tell by looking at them they were original, lucky find Ax. Plus, you and missus had the joy in finding it. Nice to know when to splurge...was just reading the post by Herb asking for prayers, Herb is in my prayers as are your son and his family. All is well here, still cutting back but things are good. Kids all have their jobs and are working hard to hang onto them. No time to whine or complain, better to shine at what you do. A good time for families to pitch in and help each other. Stay well and continue those fantastic finds.:)

You sum to have a very strong constitution, Autumn, am glad things are at least going uphill for you.
I think of you often, and reflect back on a post or two---"Get out in the Rain, on a dusty road and smell the earth, it washes one's soul clean"--Ax.

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665860)
Lisa and i are antique hounds. you got yourself a primo piece. first time i have seen one like this with the two oval mirrors at the top. If you have a problem locating a key or an estecheon or a handle pull put a pic of the piece you need and I just might have one lying around in my box of stuff or might run into the one you need. ive got a load of that old hardware. and no charge and no problemo if i have it in the box. we are always going to estate and garage sales and flea markets so i see and come across alot of the old hardware.

Indebted to you--attached pics ---when you have time to look.

The lock for the desk, as I found on a supplier was called Desk Lock--guess? they were standard as the measurements were , as I extrapolated a fit.
The Pen Box (attached pic) knob is not glued nor screwed in, the whole thing was turned on a lathe.!

There is a place about 5 miles from me, a concrete bldg,about 2000 sq ft. went in a couple of times, the old fellow has since died and the bldg is still there with contents.
Ski, you wouldn't believe what is there, merchantile from ages still in the box, brass, bronze, iron you name it--stacked to the ceiling and little paths throughout---not new stuff either talking vintage and antique, stacked to the ceiling.

Have been trying to locate owners, and reasonably surmise it's tied up in a will or ??Bldg is maintained, and locked up.

Heck I'd move in, throw a bunk and hot plate in and live there--

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 665936)
I am a fan of tung oil too and also of a shellac and wax finish. I do three to four thin coats of shellac buffing between each one then topcoat with finishing wax and buff to a nice deep luster. Gives the finish a nice depth and if it dulls a bit with time just buff apply another thin coat of finishing wax and buff out.

Again that desk is a beauty Ax, and unique with the oval mirrors.

Jeff,
Sorry it took me a while to post this--for you and Little One--excuse the roughage of the diagram.I will post measurements of mine a bit later--it is a youth bow simple construction and a good teacher for younger ages.

P.S. A pic you will appreciate--detail of lock, all mortised in.

Pick up some Hide Glue--the old reliable--amazing stuff.

Be darned--post bow diagram later--really miffed at microsoft-pic- software , it can lose things in a heartbeat-

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go--

Garlicluvr December 2nd, 2010 08:01 AM

Thanks for the bow info Ax. I may be able to repurpose the cherry lamination I broke and make a shorter kids bow out of what is left.

I like the mortised in locks. I am a big fan of traditional joinery, Mortise and tenon, dovetail, dado, and rabbets along with some glue and/or pegs/pins where needed. I love timber framing joints, my dream is to build a timber frame house, and maybe barn also.

As a practice project I want to do a timberframed swing-set/playground for the boys.

Used to have an adz somewhere but it may have been lost in one of my moves or divorce. I also had a functional broad axe, I still have a good broad axe head just needs a handle and sharpening. Also have a nice big slick 3 1/2" wide blade and several good large timber framing chisels.

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 666161)
Thanks for the bow info Ax. I may be able to repurpose the cherry lamination I broke and make a shorter kids bow out of what is left.

I like the mortised in locks. I am a big fan of traditional joinery, Mortise and tenon, dovetail, dado, and rabbets along with some glue and/or pegs/pins where needed. I love timber framing joints, my dream is to build a timber frame house, and maybe barn also.

As a practice project I want to do a timberframed swing-set/playground for the boys.

Used to have an adz somewhere but it may have been lost in one of my moves or divorce. I also had a functional broad axe, I still have a good broad axe head just needs a handle and sharpening. Also have a nice big slick 3 1/2" wide blade and several good large timber framing chisels.

Cherry splits along the grain, brittle for combat, good for ornamental.

I have my G'Dads "Track Adze"--used for laying down rairoad ties--Adze on one end and a hammer on the other to drive spikes in--Love the Broadax.

A note , in passing--structures--Locust pegs-square--in a round hole of the structure-pounded in by a hickory mallet---never worry about 70 mile an hour winds again--

If, by chance soak some seasond hickory staves in kerosene, for the winter--next summer-a pleasant surprise--

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Wo, ist Ajla?!!"--
Rather a fine Frosty 'Morn here in Dixie"---"I thought we might go out for a stroll, by the market,haggle a bit, in the fortnight of Icey Winter-- purchase some wares, and return to a cozy Kitchen, a Board Game --Perhaps--;) and a "Good Sleep"--after all---;)--we earned it---Ax.

Caravaggio--"The Cardsharps"

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 10:19 AM

Rather -factual, romantic --appreciative---:

"Paw, Paw",(Last Weekend) I brought you something" ( He had a bag full, and gave me one--;)-chuckle)

"Oh" 'an, what be that--?"

"Onions that walk, they make under the ground, and from the top"--Egyptians!

He is a jewel, dark hair, dark eyes, mind of an Alchemist--comeing over to spend the night, 9yrs old,--
Reciprocation---Broke out the Bottle Rockets , and Black Cats--firecrackers, should be a nice weekend--;):)

Ajla December 2nd, 2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 666276)
"Wo, ist Ajla?!!"--
Rather a fine Frosty 'Morn here in Dixie"---"I thought we might go out for a stroll, by the market,haggle a bit, in the fortnight of Icey Winter-- purchase some wares, and return to a cozy Kitchen, a Board Game --Perhaps--;) and a "Good Sleep"--after all---;)--we earned it---Ax.

Caravaggio--"The Cardsharps"

Good painting! The market is tomorrow and I don't haggle! Even some snow fell!
Now if Gunnar stops blowing that icy wind our way, I'll go for a brisk walk!

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 11:06 AM

Well, been up since 0330, Gz and Chaq,just got their Ears an Eyes Opened-----Hmmmmm-(A slam styorfoam--"Cuppa"----)-"How 'Bout some Beluga Caviar for Breakfast, 'an dont try to Outflank, me,chuckle--much in Reserve.

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 666294)
Good painting! The market is tomorrow and I don't haggle! Even some snow fell!
Now if Gunnar stops blowing that icy wind our way, I'll go for a brisk walk!

Boy, Poland is getting hammered!

Ajla December 3rd, 2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 666912)
Boy, Poland is getting hammered!

It is too! Did you hear about those cars being stuck in the snow and a bear walking up to them? :eek: I had a good walk in the bit of snow that fell, but it's starting to thaw already!

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff some of my "wanta do's"--bodkins, rope cutter, and a Swallowtail,Swallowtails designed to get caught up in horse harness etc and cut them up.
Other day you mentioned roll cage etc--the interstate here is great--the drivers--mostly insane--drove it for 18yrs, no accidents but to give you an idea it's called Malfunction Junction in the State jargon.
I threatened once to buy an old '67 Caprice, weld the doors shut and install railroad tracks all 'round.:)
You are a very learned person, versatile, knowledgeable and hands on--stay that way--the earth needs same.

Ski--Seen the new ordnance put in the field--programmable individual grenade launcher-- it can be programmed by the user for air burst, etc
A far cry from the old H&R "Thumpers" we had--had a guy who could knock a coconut out of a tree at 75 meters, just reflex shooting.

Ajla, since it's snowing there , ever made snow ice cream?--just clean snow, cream and sugar, a rare treat for us down South.

Got real cold here this morning --30 degrees--:)

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 666927)
It is too! Did you hear about those cars being stuck in the snow and a bear walking up to them? :eek: I had a good walk in the bit of snow that fell, but it's starting to thaw already!

Saw that, rather spooky.There was a truck accident up North, motorists were backed up for miles and most had to spend the night stranded.
Wow, guess I shouldn't complain about it not snowing here much.

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 10:50 AM

Missus dropped a very pleasant surprise on me this morning--she bought tickets to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert next Sat.
Last night she said I have a surprise for you, but I won't tell you--you know how the story goes--couldn't resist telling me.
I'm excited!!!

chickweed December 3rd, 2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 667042)
Missus dropped a very pleasant surprise on me this morning--she bought tickets to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert next Sat.
Last night she said I have a surprise for you, but I won't tell you--you know how the story goes--couldn't resist telling me.
I'm excited!!!

Oh - you are going to love that!

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 667046)
Oh - you are going to love that!

Had heard of it ,Chick--looked it up and it looks right down my alley--we don't splurge much at all-- but had some good breaks here in the last 6 months--guess it's time to play "Ketchup"
Tell "Bronco" hello for me and give Yoda &Co. a pat.

Ajla December 3rd, 2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 667042)
I'm excited!!!

Thought you were going to say Trans Siberion Express! Now that's on my list! Saw it once where it left from Paris, a dream train!

Garlicluvr December 3rd, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 666945)
Jeff some of my "wanta do's"--bodkins, rope cutter, and a Swallowtail,Swallowtails designed to get caught up in horse harness etc and cut them up.
Other day you mentioned roll cage etc--the interstate here is great--the drivers--mostly insane--drove it for 18yrs, no accidents but to give you an idea it's called Malfunction Junction in the State jargon.
I threatened once to buy an old '67 Caprice, weld the doors shut and install railroad tracks all 'round.:)
You are a very learned person, versatile, knowledgeable and hands on--stay that way--the earth needs same.

Ski--Seen the new ordnance put in the field--programmable individual grenade launcher-- it can be programmed by the user for air burst, etc
A far cry from the old H&R "Thumpers" we had--had a guy who could knock a coconut out of a tree at 75 meters, just reflex shooting.

Ajla, since it's snowing there , ever made snow ice cream?--just clean snow, cream and sugar, a rare treat for us down South.

Got real cold here this morning --30 degrees--:)

Ax: Thanks for posting the pic of the arrow points. I have seen a few places that offer cedar arrows with the bodkin points. That top one if I remember right is for piercing chain mail.

Thanks for the compliment you too Sir Ax are quite knowledgable in many many areas and an invaluable resource.

I saw the article on the new grenade launchers, very high tech and kinda take a lot of the skill and guesswork out of the equation. As they used to say when I was in trying to make them idiot proof or sailor proof.

Hope you enjoy the concert Ax. Cold here have had the wood stove puffing, I do love that woodsmoke smell and coming in from the cold to a nice hot fire.

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 667162)
Thought you were going to say Trans Siberion Express! Now that's on my list! Saw it once where it left from Paris, a dream train!

I would dearly love to board that one Ajla, it's said, a life's dream travel--

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 667194)
Ax: Thanks for posting the pic of the arrow points. I have seen a few places that offer cedar arrows with the bodkin points. That top one if I remember right is for piercing chain mail.

Thanks for the compliment you too Sir Ax are quite knowledgable in many many areas and an invaluable resource.

I saw the article on the new grenade launchers, very high tech and kinda take a lot of the skill and guesswork out of the equation. As they used to say when I was in trying to make them idiot proof or sailor proof.

Hope you enjoy the concert Ax. Cold here have had the wood stove puffing, I do love that woodsmoke smell and coming in from the cold to a nice hot fire.

Appreciate your comment, I have been one to share about anything I have, including some of my "Todays Useless Knowledge"--:)

Man, O Man just a few more weeks and the Cherry Yule Log goes on the fire--I love it---

A good man with one of the older Thumpers could really put a world of hurt on the adversary.Most of them made by H&R as ,I recall.

While on my mind you mentioned shooting a .41 cal. pistol how do you compare it with a 9mm? never shot a .41, but fired a Dirty Harry once--

Garlicluvr December 3rd, 2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 667444)
Appreciate your comment, I have been one to share about anything I have, including some of my "Todays Useless Knowledge"--:)

Man, O Man just a few more weeks and the Cherry Yule Log goes on the fire--I love it---

A good man with one of the older Thumpers could really put a world of hurt on the adversary.Most of them made by H&R as ,I recall.

While on my mind you mentioned shooting a .41 cal. pistol how do you compare it with a 9mm? never shot a .41, but fired a Dirty Harry once--

Ax: The 41 mag felt pretty much the same as a 44 mag couldn't really tell the difference, both loud as hades and both have a pretty sharp recoil even in a large frame revolver. Both were ruger blackhawks. A heck of a lot more umph! than a 9mm. Were you possibly thinking of the 40 S&W which is primarily and auto round? Haven't fired one but from what I have heard about the same as a 9mm.

The 41 Mag is a rimmed revolver cartridge like the 44 Mag and 357 Mag. They jump a bit so not the quickest to get back on target. Wont do any rapid fire with them thats for sure.

The most enjoyable was the tweaked out Model 1911 .45 he had. Even with somewhat hot hand loads very pleasant to fire and super accurate.

Garlicluvr December 3rd, 2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 667162)

Sign me up I am in too Ajla and Ax would love to ride that train or the orient express.

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 667489)
Ax: The 41 mag felt pretty much the same as a 44 mag couldn't really tell the difference, both loud as hades and both have a pretty sharp recoil even in a large frame revolver. Both were ruger blackhawks. A heck of a lot more umph! than a 9mm. Were you possibly thinking of the 40 S&W which is primarily and auto round? Haven't fired one but from what I have heard about the same as a 9mm.

The 41 Mag is a rimmed revolver cartridge like the 44 Mag and 357 Mag. They jump a bit so not the quickest to get back on target. Wont do any rapid fire with them thats for sure.

The most enjoyable was the tweaked out Model 1911 .45 he had. Even with somewhat hot hand loads very pleasant to fire and super accurate.

The .45's are my favorite, one good combo.
Speaking of blast--ever shot a CZ-52?-- little 7.62x 25 cartridge,, but loaded with submachine gun ammo-- ear protectors.!!

The CZ-52 is the only 7.62 x 25 that can handle the sub ammo--they are a piece of work,--roller block mechanism patterned after the MG-42 machine gun-mechanism,-- ugly as mud, but flat shooter, high velocity and control all in one.

axhandle December 3rd, 2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 667492)
Sign me up I am in too Ajla and Ax would love to ride that train or the orient express.

Absolutely, You Bet!!!lets all get seats on both.

Ajla , if you make it to the Trans Siberian--I'm gonna be mighty envious--;):)

Garlicluvr December 3rd, 2010 09:11 PM

Ax: Check out this site when you get a chance tons of info and history, my favorite metalworking and blacksmithing site.

http://www.anvilfire.com/index.htm

Ajla December 4th, 2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 667492)

It must have been the Orient Express I saw in Paris, the Trans Siberian leaves from Moscow I believe. It's a long way though, ideally we would need a fourth person to be able to play cards? I'll bring the jenever! :)

axhandle December 4th, 2010 02:16 PM

I think the two(Siberian/Orient) would stitch together rather well.
As I gather the Trans Siberian is rather spartan in accomodations, a cross section of people and cultures--sort of an arduous , interesting, long, journey.

After such, board the Orient for pure opulance----what better a cross section of life, and experiences of a lifetime.

About a month away should do it--:)

axhandle December 4th, 2010 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big Boyz Toyz again, didn't buy but found a 1957 Lambretta Scooter yesterday, been in storage, origional condition--needs minor res-to.Runs, stops.
Asking price too much--but will haggle.

Attached pic is a '58 model restored.

Neato--down to the market or groceries---

Pepper December 5th, 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 667489)

A 10 mm is a 40 cal and on the same power level as 41 mag which is a revolver round devel did make a 41 auto (devel)great gun expensive (also made the 45 )a company made a long slide 9mm mag and a 45 mag (grizzly)was made for 1 year (didnt catch on )the different in a 44 mag and a 41 mag is pretty big in terms of power I have all the blackhawk pistol cal includeing the 357 / 9mm convertable also the 32 Hr mag whichs also will shoot 4 or five other 32 cals (if you can find them) a 9 mm is a good cartridge not a great one it gets better if you load a heavy hollow point for home protection or use a glazer round , the 357 (110 grain or 125 )is one of the best self defense rounds ever a 45 is very good also if you can control the roll , I personally use a 10 mm colt delta elite 170 grain make the do bad DRT . lol A wilson 45 apc is about the best you can carry . or a sig 229 40 cal is very good also .rambling sorry .

Garlicluvr December 6th, 2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 668685)
A 10 mm is a 40 cal and on the same power level as 41 mag which is a revolver round devel did make a 41 auto (devel)great gun expensive (also made the 45 )a company made a long slide 9mm mag and a 45 mag (grizzly)was made for 1 year (didnt catch on )the different in a 44 mag and a 41 mag is pretty big in terms of power I have all the blackhawk pistol cal includeing the 357 / 9mm convertable also the 32 Hr mag whichs also will shoot 4 or five other 32 cals (if you can find them) a 9 mm is a good cartridge not a great one it gets better if you load a heavy hollow point for home protection or use a glazer round , the 357 (110 grain or 125 )is one of the best self defense rounds ever a 45 is very good also if you can control the roll , I personally use a 10 mm colt delta elite 170 grain make the do bad DRT . lol A wilson 45 apc is about the best you can carry . or a sig 229 40 cal is very good also .rambling sorry .

Pepper: I have heard the 10mm are nice cant get them here anymore although they were the rage 10 years ago or so. Gun store guy said they took them off the market because the FBI now uses them as their main service sidearm and took them off the market for the general public. Doesnt really make sense to me to pull a cartridge/caliber off the market.

I know the 44 mag has quite a bit more energy than the 41 mag but as far as shooting it I couldnt really tell much if any difference in recoil and general handling between the two.

I have always liked 357's and the 45's for a handgun for home defense etc. I also like a nice 12 gauge with buckshot either one of the side by side stagecoach guns or a 870 pump.

Pepper December 6th, 2010 07:53 AM

The 10 mm now isnt what it was 15 years ago it was down powered after the fbi agents said they couldnt control recoil so they went to the 40 cal , ( a 10mm short sort of down powered )they went to the 10mm after 2 or 3 agents were killed or wounded after shooting a do bad I believe 6 times with a 9mm ( it was in miame Fl) glock , IE witness , colte and 1 more cant remember the other one still offers the 10 mm. best performce is when it is brought up to industries loads (the original loads )by hand loading, opps rambling again :D

axhandle December 6th, 2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 668685)

Ramble on, Pep--:)---you have some "Pearls" here.---Ax.

axhandle December 6th, 2010 08:16 AM

Mornin, Jeff---

axhandle December 6th, 2010 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"The Ugly Duckling"--and I chuckle,-and a wink--
1.Best steel produced in 1953, Skoda.
2.Detail of "Rollerblock" mechanism.

A Tip, look at the top of the slide, there appears ding or punchmarks- #1 is the best and graded on down--this one is a #2.

Even the #4's can group 2 inches at 25 yds.

"Todays Bit of Useless Knowledge"---;)

Garlicluvr December 6th, 2010 12:48 PM

Morning Ax: The Swedes made the best steel for years the secret was the charcoal fired furnaces. Carbon from the charcoal leaches into the steel creating a superior steel.

Cant get the Swedish charcoal steel anymore except in small quantities the same with the charcoal iron (wrought iron) great stuff for architectual and ornamental work. Wrought iron does not oxidize or rust like steel does, therefore it last much longer especially in coastal areas where salt air does a number on steel. The outside of the wrought iron will oxidize some then it stops. Charleston South Carolina has some beautiful wrought iron work and it has held up well over the years.

Wrought iron is the preferred material for any outdoor ironwork, or anything besides tools. Just cant get it except for scrap from old bridges, structures as it hasnt been produced in this country since about the 1920's. Still one place at least in England that produces wrought but prices and shipping are prohibitive.

I have been trying to find someone with some to sell, every time I see one of the old wrought iron ships anchors that many coastal town shops and such have for decoration I stop and see if they want to sell it. So far no luck. Many of these early anchors and the chain were wrought iron again the resist corrosion much better than steel.

Ax: My woodstove burned pretty steady all weekend, smell of cherry in the crisp air was nice. I would love to have one of the russian or swedish stoves. Thats all I need though another project to add to the already lengthy list.

Garlicluvr December 6th, 2010 12:50 PM

Also Ax: if you have never looked up the process of making Damascus or woot steel do so it is fascinating. Evidently it was a closely guarded secret up until the early 1900's.

axhandle December 6th, 2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 669143)
Morning Ax: The Swedes made the best steel for years the secret was the charcoal fired furnaces. Carbon from the charcoal leaches into the steel creating a superior steel.

Cant get the Swedish charcoal steel anymore except in small quantities the same with the charcoal iron (wrought iron) great stuff for architectual and ornamental work. Wrought iron does not oxidize or rust like steel does, therefore it last much longer especially in coastal areas where salt air does a number on steel. The outside of the wrought iron will oxidize some then it stops. Charleston South Carolina has some beautiful wrought iron work and it has held up well over the years.

Wrought iron is the preferred material for any outdoor ironwork, or anything besides tools. Just cant get it except for scrap from old bridges, structures as it hasnt been produced in this country since about the 1920's. Still one place at least in England that produces wrought but prices and shipping are prohibitive.

I have been trying to find someone with some to sell, every time I see one of the old wrought iron ships anchors that many coastal town shops and such have for decoration I stop and see if they want to sell it. So far no luck. Many of these early anchors and the chain were wrought iron again the resist corrosion much better than steel.

Ax: My woodstove burned pretty steady all weekend, smell of cherry in the crisp air was nice. I would love to have one of the russian or swedish stoves. Thats all I need though another project to add to the already lengthy list.

I buy, and use, anything stamped Sandvik.
Likewise anything ,Skoda--as my G'Dad said, "Skoda was made over Brown Coal"--and he should know, first job at 12 yrs.old--and before he came here .

axhandle December 6th, 2010 03:46 PM

Chuckle, Jeff--the only way to grt to one's list , is to start back at #1.
Too much time on our hands---and a big question mark--?--;)

axhandle December 6th, 2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 669144)
Also Ax: if you have never looked up the process of making Damascus or woot steel do so it is fascinating. Evidently it was a closely guarded secret up until the early 1900's.

Friend made Damascus, his Dad made a Trip Hammer out of a 6 cyl.Chevy crankshaft--ran the N'Hood --Nuts---:)

axhandle December 6th, 2010 04:17 PM

'To Lighten 'tha Fare 'O tha Day:
Doc friend was in England c. early '40's.

American Fighter Pilot got shot down over the "Channel", busted his jaw up good, had to wire it together:

"Little Miss Brit (all acknowelements ,due) Nurse, first time:

"Good Morn, it's time for tea"

MMMMMM---said the Pilot.

"We must serve it on the backside,since you can't swallow", now can you roll over?"

MMMMM-Ummm--

"Oh, Dear I am sorry, is it too hot!!??"

MMMMM-- Ummmm--No, It's too 'Thweet--

Chuckle--Leave it up to US "Yanks" as Doc said----

Garlicluvr December 7th, 2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 669230)
Friend made Damascus, his Dad made a Trip Hammer out of a 6 cyl.Chevy crankshaft--ran the N'Hood --Nuts---:)

Dont imagine the neighbors cared for the noise much. I eventually want a good power hammer, both for heavy grudge work and for damascus Aka patternwelded steel.

Japanese swordmakers used a similiar process in the early days, later switched to laminated blades. I have some swedish laminated blade knives also Normark good blades. I have some Sandvik saws and cabinet scrapers, also very good steel.

I believe my anvil is swedish also.

I read that the true or origional damascus was actually made using a somewhat different process. Heard that they immersed a faggot (strip of iron folded over and over) of pure wrought iron in molten cast iron and carbon from the molten cast combined with the pure iron to form steel. After removal from the molten cast iron and cooling the whole works was heated folded and forge welded into billets.

Another Burrrrrrrrr day here 28 degrees and 15 to 20 mph winds. Need any more Ice cubes Ax, I can send you a bunch.

axhandle December 7th, 2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 669734)
Dont imagine the neighbors cared for the noise much. I eventually want a good power hammer, both for heavy grudge work and for damascus Aka patternwelded steel.

Japanese swordmakers used a similiar process in the early days, later switched to laminated blades. I have some swedish laminated blade knives also Normark good blades. I have some Sandvik saws and cabinet scrapers, also very good steel.

I believe my anvil is swedish also.

I read that the true or origional damascus was actually made using a somewhat different process. Heard that they immersed a faggot (strip of iron folded over and over) of pure wrought iron in molten cast iron and carbon from the molten cast combined with the pure iron to form steel. After removal from the molten cast iron and cooling the whole works was heated folded and forge welded into billets.

Another Burrrrrrrrr day here 28 degrees and 15 to 20 mph winds. Need any more Ice cubes Ax, I can send you a bunch.

Folded steel, and many hands--the best--It is said that the Grand Master of Samurai Swords , "Quenched the last, in Human Blood"--

I really like the Scallops in the blades, application of especial clay to the edges -applied by a brush before final temper--I 'Oft wonder--powdered bone sprinkled on the clay scallops, and clamped by leather-- fired--then buried in sand for some length of time--Hmmm--let me know what you find out--;)--Ax.

axhandle December 7th, 2010 11:07 AM

P.S. No Thanks on the ice cubes, tha Missus comes to bed and says--"Feel how Cold I am"--chuckle--and I might say, popsicles for feet?;):D--

axhandle December 7th, 2010 11:24 AM

Need a bit of Update, help, here.
Wrenches, sockets-etc---years of them--recently Kobalt, Snap On --und so Weiter--whats the best out there? So far, over the years many "bad wrenches , result in scabbed knuckles"

And a Whitworth 7 sixteengths is not anywhere an English Gauge7/16--

Garlicluvr December 7th, 2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 669793)
Need a bit of Update, help, here.
Wrenches, sockets-etc---years of them--recently Kobalt, Snap On --und so Weiter--whats the best out there? So far, over the years many "bad wrenches , result in scabbed knuckles"

And a Whitworth 7 sixteengths is not anywhere an English Gauge7/16--

I would say that Snap-On and Mac tools are top of the line but quite pricey. I still like Craftsman not as good as the previous two but they do still raplace or repair them no questions asked.

skiracer December 7th, 2010 11:44 AM

i guess if i were a professional mechanic i would want the best but for my personal use Craftsman (Sear) suits me fine. They usually hold up good over time and like my dad would do twenty years later if one of their tools broke return it for a new one. Cant beat that can you? I own plenty of sandvik hand saws and chisels. good stuff but any of them are only as good as the individual using and taking care of them. just like a weapon. must be kept like you keep your women. Clean and well oiled.

axhandle December 7th, 2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 669804)
I would say that Snap-On and Mac tools are top of the line but quite pricey. I still like Craftsman not as good as the previous two but they do still raplace or repair them no questions asked.

The Span On truck runs qiute frequently here,suits my fancy, and experience--'Missuas wants to know, whats for Xmas?--

Garlicluvr December 7th, 2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 669809)
I own plenty of sandvik hand saws and chisels. good stuff but any of them are only as good as the individual using and taking care of them. just like a weapon. must be kept like you keep your women. Clean and well oiled.

Ok Ski you almost made me spew coffee with that last comment. :D

Your statement about them only being as good as the individual using and taking care of them applies to most things. Sharp well maintained tools work much better than dull neglected ones.

I find this to be particularly true of handsaws, I never knew how well a properly set and sharpened hadsaw can cut until I bought a couple of quality tenon and dovetail saws. Using them is pure pleasure unlike many of the dull and abused handsaws I used growing up.

I often buy old Disston and Atkins saws at auctions, flea market, etc and have a local Amish guy that owns a sharpening shop cut new teeth and sharpen them. It is amazing how well they cut and how little effort it takes. I also taught myself to file sharpen and set teeth.

Gotta take care of your tools if you want them to work properly. This also applies to ones women.:D The well lubed doesnt hurt either.;)

axhandle December 7th, 2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 669809)
i guess if i were a professional mechanic i would want the best but for my personal use Craftsman (Sear) suits me fine. They usually hold up good over time and like my dad would do twenty years later if one of their tools broke return it for a new one. Cant beat that can you? I own plenty of sandvik hand saws and chisels. good stuff but any of them are only as good as the individual using and taking care of them. just like a weapon. must be kept like you keep your women. Clean and well oiled.

,in more than one respect--"Take care of equipment, and it will take care of you".

The Sears Guarantee is hard to beat, would just like to know who makes them--got some Crafstman tools that I had back in the '60's still good.

"John , "D"--Son of a Mechanic--he could build two "6"'s and an Eight-- in one day--

"Hand me the wrench, John!!"

"No, Not that one ,John, the one with the "D", 'onit--John---D!!"

Thus the Legacy---

skiracer December 7th, 2010 12:16 PM

i also have a number of old Disston hand saws. they are very good and were considered the best in their time. my dad instilled the concept of keeping your tools clean and the ones that required sharpening always sharpened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 669825)
Ok Ski you almost made me spew coffee with that last comment. :D

Your statement about them only being as good as the individual using and taking care of them applies to most things. Sharp well maintained tools work much better than dull neglected ones.

I find this to be particularly true of handsaws, I never knew how well a properly set and sharpened hadsaw can cut until I bought a couple of quality tenon and dovetail saws. Using them is pure pleasure unlike many of the dull and abused handsaws I used growing up.

I often buy old Disston and Atkins saws at auctions, flea market, etc and have a local Amish guy that owns a sharpening shop cut new teeth and sharpen them. It is amazing how well they cut and how little effort it takes. I also taught myself to file sharpen and set teeth.

Gotta take care of your tools if you want them to work properly. This also applies to ones women.:D The well lubed doesnt hurt either.;)

axhandle December 7th, 2010 04:38 PM

The final test for a sharpened hand saw--a sewing needle must slide down the length--even if it took all day long--:)

Ajla December 8th, 2010 08:10 AM

Only men talk again! Oh well, I'll go join the ladies on: I want to make surprised, if they'll have me? ;)

axhandle December 8th, 2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 670420)
Only men talk again! Oh well, I'll go join the ladies on: I want to make surprised, if they'll have me? ;)

Ajla, let me clear the Air.

I do not look at gender, actually I abhore the notion, everyone is welcome in Ax's Corner.

Garlicluvr December 8th, 2010 09:43 AM

Ajla: Yes we were talking tools and such but you are always welcome. And we dont mind discussing two or three subjects at a time, Art, Nature, etc.

BTW Good Morning Ajla and Ax.

axhandle December 8th, 2010 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Can you bring Molly Mole/ (the Orient Express Trip), such a friendly one, in my mind, and travels.
I would bring Tomaz, but he is still a Nomad, no focus and rather bad at Cards--;)

Next Frame--my Interpretation--

ovenbird December 8th, 2010 10:37 AM

Hope things are all good in your corner, Ax. Merry Christmas.

skiracer December 8th, 2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Dont know why but i never thought that you were a woman. did you ever state that before this? if you did i never saw it. anyway it doesnt make a difference. i can see your point in not being that interested in talking shop or tools.

axhandle December 8th, 2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovenbird (Post 670534)
Hope things are all good in your corner, Ax. Merry Christmas.

Thank You, and to you, and yours--have the best---

axhandle December 8th, 2010 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 670554)
Dont know why but i never thought that you were a woman. did you ever state that before this? if you did i never saw it. anyway it doesnt make a difference. i can see your point in not being that interested in talking shop or tools.

Ajla has many talents and knowledge, and is always welcome here---and we have a date to sit on these benches:

Ajla December 9th, 2010 04:12 AM

I don't always know the sex of a poster either Ski
And Ax, if that is the way you play cards, I'll leave the pack at home!
I think Molly would like to take the southern route, that ends up in Beijing,
if that's OK with you guys? :)

Garlicluvr December 9th, 2010 08:03 AM

Ajla: Sounds good to me.

Ax: Even colder here this morning 19. Glad i dont have to do outside work today would be freezing something off. Weather man says a little warmer tomorrow and maybe 50 saturday with some showers. Crazy weather, if it doesnt rain saturday I need to get my dormant oil spray done on all of the fruit trees been too cold lately.

axhandle December 9th, 2010 08:08 AM

Good Morning, Holland!!--
No Ajla, I don't cheat at cards or anything else--I had rather -- cheat the cheaters--

Molly Mole, such a pleasant person to be on a trip with--give her my regards.

Bring Woolens, Goose Down and Jenever to the "Siberian" , rumored it gets "Chilly" this time of year--;)--and the Vodka--leaves something to be desired.

Now, I have a puzzle for you--got a Delfts (Genuine Made in Holland on the bottom), mug its not coffee--because above the ship is the logo--Heineken.

Dilemma is this--Baumann is lettered in at the bottom, below the ship, it's painted and glazed in--/Pub name?--special order?

chickweed December 9th, 2010 08:15 AM

Yikes! What is with this weather?! December is supposed to be cool, chilly, feel like it is freezing.........but not frozen over! The local news show that I watch on tv is showing the phone number for marine wildlife rescue agencies. Sea turtles are being rescued and taken to the Va. Aquarium to spend the winter. This cold weather is killing them. Little Yoda had hidden his sweater somewhere in the house.Two days ago, he was whining to go out - and had the sweater in his mouth! (Turns out that he is not as dumb as rock, after all).

axhandle December 9th, 2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 671126)
Ajla: Sounds good to me.

Ax: Even colder here this morning 19. Glad i dont have to do outside work today would be freezing something off. Weather man says a little warmer tomorrow and maybe 50 saturday with some showers. Crazy weather, if it doesnt rain saturday I need to get my dormant oil spray done on all of the fruit trees been too cold lately.

Went out yesterday morn at 0600--22F--in Dixie--frost--'Methinks a good winter this year.Door neighbor(80 yrs old), has not been out spraying lately, he is my Guide--

Weather persons--chuckle--the 50/ 50's--as I call them.

"Missus and I are looking forward to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra treat this weekend, supposed to be cold and rainy--have to agree--crazy weather--in younger days-ingnored --but now--Hmmm--"Dear, where did you put my wool Ferrari Scarf?"--chuckle I'm not dead yet---;):D

axhandle December 9th, 2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 671133)
Yikes! What is with this weather?! December is supposed to be cool, chilly, feel like it is freezing.........but not frozen over! The local news show that I watch on tv is showing the phone number for marine wildlife rescue agencies. Sea turtles are being rescued and taken to the Va. Aquarium to spend the winter. This cold weather is killing them. Little Yoda had hidden his sweater somewhere in the house.Two days ago, he was whining to go out - and had the sweater in his mouth! (Turns out that he is not as dumb as rock, after all).

Went over to the bank the other day ,Chick--waiting at the drive thru-off to my right--in a small clearing was a cat,pretty one, his house had been put there, insulated, people have been dropping off food etc.and even clearing the underbrush off, abandoned by someone--my heart went Twang--think we might adopt him--and at the least--make sure of existance for the winter.
I used to fill the truck up with good blankets, socks etc, and go put it out down at the courthouse lawn for the street people, if the County wants to arrest me for dumping----then so be it--!!

Hmmm--Yoda the clever Fox--the master is a rock---;):D

Ajla December 10th, 2010 06:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Enjoy your Trans Siberian!

chickweed December 10th, 2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 671142)
Went over to the bank the other day ,Chick--waiting at the drive thru-off to my right--in a small clearing was a cat,pretty one, his house had been put there, insulated, people have been dropping off food etc.and even clearing the underbrush off, abandoned by someone--my heart went Twang--think we might adopt him--and at the least--make sure of existance for the winter.
I used to fill the truck up with good blankets, socks etc, and go put it out down at the courthouse lawn for the street people, if the County wants to arrest me for dumping----then so be it--!!

Hmmm--Yoda the clever Fox--the master is a rock---;):D

That is so sweet, Ax. If people have gone to that much trouble, the cat may be feral and not let you get close to it. We have one that we feed, that won't let us touch it. He will let us know if we forget to put food out - loudly. It plays with our critters,but won't take the hint that we are okay. Ed always leaves one of the cellar vents open- it is under the covered porch. Any stray is welcome to wander in and cool off/dry off/ warm up.... and we get mousers!

Garlicluvr December 10th, 2010 07:42 AM

I have taken in quite a few strays both cat and dog over the years and fed many others. They often turn out to be the best pets and mousers. I kinda like mutts and mixes often better than the purebreds.

I guess the same can be true of people, the mutts and mixes are often better, kinder people than the purebreds.

axhandle December 10th, 2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 671677)
Enjoy your Trans Siberian!

Thanks for solving my puzzle, Ajla.:)

Yes the Orchestra is tomorrow afternoon, and on reading Greg Hildebrandt does some of their art work--he and his brother are some of my favorites.

Stay warm, it's going to be around 40F come tomorrow afternoon, and I have my wool scarf for the walk to the concert hall---:)

Thanks again--Ax.

axhandle December 10th, 2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 671684)
That is so sweet, Ax. If people have gone to that much trouble, the cat may be feral and not let you get close to it. We have one that we feed, that won't let us touch it. He will let us know if we forget to put food out - loudly. It plays with our critters,but won't take the hint that we are okay. Ed always leaves one of the cellar vents open- it is under the covered porch. Any stray is welcome to wander in and cool off/dry off/ warm up.... and we get mousers!

Someone even took a pet transport cage and sealed it off with duct tape to keep the weather out--going to swing by there on the way downtown.

Garlicluvr December 13th, 2010 07:37 AM

Morning Ax: you are colder than me this morning, but dont worry our temp is supposed to drop again after tomorrow. May actually get a white Christmas this year.

Is that woodstove stoked up yet? Cherry Yule Log?

I hope you enjoyed the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Have a good one Ax.

axhandle December 13th, 2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 673275)
Morning Ax: you are colder than me this morning, but dont worry our temp is supposed to drop again after tomorrow. May actually get a white Christmas this year.

Is that woodstove stoked up yet? Cherry Yule Log?

I hope you enjoyed the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Have a good one Ax.

Supposed to be in the Teens here till Thursday, then jump to mid '50's .Snowdrifts about all day off and on.The NE portion of state may get1-2 inches.

Got the log ready, family will be here off and on Christmas week then Christmas eve and day, the log.Meanwhile, burning some oak and a few pieces of cherry.

I would really like to have a Jodl(Norway), soapstone, they are supposed to be premier.

Have something I need some advice on, will get a pic today, downstairs in the furnace room there is a big wood burner, never used it but people before us installed it so it could heat the whole house, pipe in to ductwork.
Never seen one like it.

Watch out for Black Ice, and be careful--

P.S. Trans -Siberian--Outstanding!!!!

Ax

chickweed December 13th, 2010 08:01 AM

Good morning, Ax! Did you enjoy the concert as much as you thought you would? Here is a picture one of my friends took from Yorktown, looking towards Gloucester Point. I think it is a really cool shot of what living on the York River is like! The brick building on the the right is part of The Virginia Institute of Marine Science.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...emanleslie.jpg

axhandle December 13th, 2010 08:16 AM

Neat--O--got to find my pics of Yorktown--unique swinging bridge there, the 5'' gun on the foredeck is a real wicked piece of machinery, and I love Marine Labs.

Concert--Oh, Absolutely, You Bet!--more than I expected--the musicians are some of the best I've seen and heard.
Laser lights, fireworks, male and female vocalists-, backdrops-and the theme--well Greg Hidebrandt does their illustrations-- one of my favorites.;)

Evening, well spent--3hr concert, and they more than give one their moneys worth.

P.S. and more than one tribute to Troops--they also donated to the Childrens Hospital here in town.

Hope weather there stays tolerable for you and DH--I know his flightime will be limited, and Kitty Cat over by the bank is doing well---

Garlicluvr December 13th, 2010 09:29 AM

Nice Picture Chick: I remember manning the rails.

axhandle December 13th, 2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 673284)
Good morning, Ax! Did you enjoy the concert as much as you thought you would? Here is a picture one of my friends took from Yorktown, looking towards Gloucester Point. I think it is a really cool shot of what living on the York River is like! The brick building on the the right is part of The Virginia Institute of Marine Science.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...emanleslie.jpg

P.S., Chick the booms reminded me of the one's at the concert the other night.

Jeff, I know you have seen the mock up of a British Warship over at Yorktown--amazing how small in statute the people of the day, and the Marines had to be a minimum of 5' 8".

Read the ships log, Constitution, over at Boston--one of the Marines was incorrigible, about every week, logged in "Pvt.----- 9 lashes,fighting"
"10 lashes, insubordination"--on and on--wonder they didn't Keel Haul him, maybe they did--;):)

Garlicluvr December 14th, 2010 07:36 AM

Morning Ax: Back in the deep freeze today 18 degrees and feels like 4 with wind chill. Brrrrrrr. Again I am thankful I dont have to work outside today.

Did fire up the chainsaws the other day and cut up some down or leaning trees out in the woods for firewood. Got some decent cherry and locust for next years fires.

axhandle December 14th, 2010 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 673936)
Morning Ax: Back in the deep freeze today 18 degrees and feels like 4 with wind chill. Brrrrrrr. Again I am thankful I dont have to work outside today.

Did fire up the chainsaws the other day and cut up some down or leaning trees out in the woods for firewood. Got some decent cherry and locust for next years fires.

Oh, you "Swabby" -You--and meant in good nature.

The Locust,---"much fine pegs, squared off, in a round hole,--they will Hold"

Attached--pic of the basement furnace--dormant since'84--we moved in some 18 yrs ago--piped in to house ducts, blower /etc--220 Volt box installed.

axhandle December 14th, 2010 10:36 AM

Hmmmm--Scratching Beard---"Where should I start today?'--the embers of 'tha night, be still glowing" The Hearth is but ,Warm, and

"And my Friend, Heart Mouse,what do you intend to glean of this visit.?"

"Nothing" said Mouse.

Garlicluvr December 14th, 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 674081)
Oh, you "Swabby" -You--and meant in good nature.

The Locust,---"much fine pegs, squared off, in a round hole,--they will Hold"

Attached--pic of the basement furnace--dormant since'84--we moved in some 18 yrs ago--piped in to house ducts, blower /etc--220 Volt box installed.

Ax: Is that a coal furnace? Wood?

My buddy has a whole house woodburning furnace, in addition to the oil fired hot water main furnace with radiators.

I do like the feel of radiant heat and you get all of those interesting pipe pinging expanding noises.

He burns the wood furnace full time once it gets real cold saves him quite a bit of money each winter as the wood is free his place is very wooded many mature oaks and hickory and several of his neighbors let him cut on their land. Usually has five to six or more cords sitting around.

I have used locust for pegs, also white oak both quite good.

Garlicluvr December 14th, 2010 08:59 PM

Bump due to spammer in da hen house.:D

axhandle December 15th, 2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 674117)
Ax: Is that a coal furnace? Wood?

My buddy has a whole house woodburning furnace, in addition to the oil fired hot water main furnace with radiators.

I do like the feel of radiant heat and you get all of those interesting pipe pinging expanding noises.

He burns the wood furnace full time once it gets real cold saves him quite a bit of money each winter as the wood is free his place is very wooded many mature oaks and hickory and several of his neighbors let him cut on their land. Usually has five to six or more cords sitting around.

I have used locust for pegs, also white oak both quite good.

Wood Burner--if I can ID it, then can get some parts--has the circulating fan, all ductwork in place, the folks here before us installed it but never used it, some rain got down the pipe and rusted some of the innards.--never seen the logo before and thats all I can find as to I.D.

Hickory--BBQ--and Bows---:)
OAK--heat--

Acquaintance of mine(went to school with him) bought a log cabin--origional and had it moved to lake property--"Dog Trot" type thought I might do a photodoc of it--my real goal--getting access to his car collection--about 35-40 of them--Big Boyz Toyz---he wanted to hire me to do upkeep at one time, but other matters kept me from taking the task.

axhandle December 15th, 2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 674448)

Acknowledge there, Big J--Over and Out--

As Zorba said---"I have a clever nose for the metals";)

axhandle December 15th, 2010 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Christmas Time!--had to have one-($20.00)-70th anniversary--wish I had my origional '51 model back--but I do have the scope off of one from the '50's I had.

The one's then would shoot a hole thru a tin can, and the can was steel then (the Pump model would shoot all the away thru both sides,, Daisy reduced power sometimes during the late '60's .I think.

Many "Safaris" back--;)

Ajla December 15th, 2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 674448)

And here I was thinking this was where the cockerels are hiding out! :)

axhandle December 15th, 2010 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 674698)
And here I was thinking this was where the cockerels are hiding out! :)

Bwaaat--chuckle--How is Holland today?