IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle September 20th, 2010 08:53 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 620896)
If only autumn is a time for mischief, POF would be a far quieter place!
You know my favourite bench by the stream, I bet there are loads of mushrooms on those mountains, sweet chestnuts too! Über un aus?

I do, and the mushrooms from the forest---superb, not available(:)) except in certain circles,--No Mutefkas--(wisdom from my G'Father)--

I really like chestnuts, especially around last of October, I sit at the fireplace, roasting them, "pittering about", tinkering, and reading.

P.S. The bench by the stream holds a special focused view, Castle ruins--"What Treasures, Lie There!"

Garlicluvr September 20th, 2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 621701)
Up to more than I can handle at one time--:)

Am ,I glad this is the last grasscutting---only a half acre, my JD 110 mower does the trick, very well,-time to winterize.

Posting something for you on your ,Photo Thread -Re: Photo filters.

Thanks Ax I will look for it. I did get a chance to look up Naval Oaks in Pensacola. interesting.

I was aware of the use of live oak in shipbuilding Old Ironsides USS Constitution a good example. Some tough wood and pretty trees. I was not aware that the Navy propagated them from acorns and actually started a plantation.

Jeff:)

Ajla September 20th, 2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 621715)
I do, and the mushrooms from the forest---superb, not available(:)) except in certain circles,--No Mutefkas--(wisdom from my G'Father)--

I really like chestnuts, especially around last of October, I sit at the fireplace, roasting them, "pittering about", tinkering, and reading.

P.S. The bench by the stream holds a special focused view, Castle ruins--"What Treasures, Lie There!"

There's no bench there????:confused:

axhandle September 20th, 2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 621733)
There's no bench there????:confused:

You are sitting on the bench--;):)

axhandle September 20th, 2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 621727)
Thanks Ax I will look for it. I did get a chance to look up Naval Oaks in Pensacola. interesting.

I was aware of the use of live oak in shipbuilding Old Ironsides USS Constitution a good example. Some tough wood and pretty trees. I was not aware that the Navy propagated them from acorns and actually started a plantation.

Without Naval Oaks, in Pensacola , we might be having "Tea", and lifting a "Pinkie Finger"---;)

Ajla September 20th, 2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 621744)
You are sitting on the bench--;):)

I'm not! I can feel damp slippery pebbles where I'm sitting! :(

axhandle September 20th, 2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 621747)
I'm not! I can feel damp slippery pebbles where I'm sitting! :(

Slippery pebbles, I know, from more than one respect---

Garlicluvr September 20th, 2010 10:01 AM

Ax: Something else that may interest you. When I worked with my friend Billy doing the historical restoration projects, he got a contract to make cypress shingles for a historical church restoration in South Carolina. The cypress logs that we ended up using were old growth timber that had sunk to the bottom of the Mississippi and were later dredged up. Some huge logs three to four foot diameter, neat stuff to work with.

He used a large chainsaw to cut off 18" sections of the log then we split them first with a sledge and wedges then split the sections or wedges into rough shingles with a froe and mallet. They were so waterlogged that when you drove in the wedges they would squirt out water, but still very sound.

After rough splitting you would square up the sides with a broad hatchett then used a shaving horse and drawknife to flatten the bottoms and taper the tops of the shingles. I got paid a dollar a shingle, Billy made $2 a shingle at something like 5,000 to 6,000 shingles for the roof.

They wanted everything done the original way with period tools and appropriate tool marks.

I enjoyed it but at the rate I could make them it didnt pay all that well. You get faster with time of course.

Ajla September 20th, 2010 12:02 PM

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...ger/th_006.jpg

Wo bin ich?

redneckplanter September 20th, 2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 621854)

is ein lawnmowerenen?