IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle August 20th, 2010 09:35 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 599924)
That's great Ax, wish i could have met him. I have a chunk of osage orange that is destined for a longbow some day, Havent made time to work on it yet though.

With me it is usually a matter of too many projects and too little time.:D

Jeff

Osage is superb for longbow's outside of Yew--make sure you have good tools the stuff is like steel--:)

I'll post some stories Mr.Hill related all along--he was a treat to talk to, he's interred not too far from me, maybe I can get some pics on a Photo Safari/Walkabout, I have planned for the Fall ---he was an icon

Garlicluvr August 20th, 2010 10:13 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 599933)
Osage is superb for longbow's outside of Yew--make sure you have good tools the stuff is like steel--:)

I'll post some stories Mr.Hill related all along--he was a treat to talk to, he's interred not too far from me, maybe I can get some pics on a Photo Safari/Walkabout, I have planned for the Fall ---he was an icon

Yeah it is hard but I have good sharp tools and even a shaving horse for the shaping work, also riving tools froe and mallet.

Good thing is if I ever need any more Osage, just have to take a trip back to Moms house in Kansas. They planted osage in most of the hedgerows out there, used to burn it in the wood stove makes nice hot coals like hickory.

Jeff:)

axhandle August 20th, 2010 11:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
There is a lot there, they planted fenceline with it a lot in Arkansas and Missouri--grew so thick--also the thorns, "make a Rabbit squeal" trying to get thru it--beautiful wood.

Garlicluvr August 20th, 2010 12:31 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax: You ever read any of Aldo Leopolds writings? You may appreciate this.

"Out of the clouds I hear a faint bark, as of a faraway dog. It is strange how the world cocks its ear to that sound, wondering. Soon it is louder: the honk of geese, invisible, but coming on.

The flock emerges from the low clouds, a tattered banner of birds, dipping and rising, blown up and blown down, blown together and blown apart, but advancing, the wind wrestling lovingly with each winnowing wing. When the flock is a blur in the far sky I hear the last honk, sounding taps for summer.

It is warm behind the driftwood now, for the wind has gone with the geese. So would I--if I were the wind."
Aldo Leopold

Jeff:)

axhandle August 20th, 2010 05:53 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
No, I haven't but now, going to--right down my path, past and present--Thanks---Ax

axhandle August 20th, 2010 06:47 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
What a day--special--Missus and I went to eat--Anniversary.

I'm stuffed.:)

Garlicluvr August 20th, 2010 10:40 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 600427)
No, I haven't but now, going to--right down my path, past and present--Thanks---Ax

Glad you had a good time Ax.

If you can get a copy of A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold either in print or online that is one of his best. Library probably has it.


Jeff

axhandle August 20th, 2010 10:44 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 600691)
Glad you had a good time Ax.

If you can get a copy of A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold either in print or online that is one of his best. Library probably has it.


Jeff

Thanks for the lead, tooka lot off me searching when I could be reading it-:)

Ax.

w8in4dave August 20th, 2010 10:52 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
sharing with you ax :D .. Papa and Colton..We call him lil Mr. ....Papa is putting up a used barn he got from his brother... Lil Mr. is helping...Kinda lol

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...g/2649ea4c.jpg

w8in4dave August 20th, 2010 10:54 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 600477)
What a day--special--Missus and I went to eat--Anniversary.

I'm stuffed.:)

Happy Anniversary !!!!!!!! :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.