IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle May 29th, 2012 09:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 930073)
have a good holiday my friends.
and many thanks to all of you patriots who answered the call.

And , those who supported same--I don't know of anything more important to a G.I., than knowing that they are supported in mind and action.

axhandle May 29th, 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 930243)
Ax: Got the Groves Spitfire and shot some arrows through her shoots accurate but I think the string it came with is a bit long or stretch as the brace height isnt correct. I should get the new string I ordered for it today or tomorrow, then I will start set-up and tuning.

Went to Wife's Nieces wedding in Milwaukee over the weekend, went well but put me a bit behind on things.

Hope all is well in Bama.

Jeff:)

Spitfire!--one fine bow.
Measure length of bow, nock to nock, best done with a tape measure, follow the curves, etc.

Subtract 4 inches for competition string, that is the string length, a T-square will tell, if too long, twist the string, to get the proper height.--

Lawd, Weddings--:)--Am reminded of some of Grand parents descriptions, most lasted a week, three days at minimum----Great Uncle danced the soles off his boots.---:)

Rather well in 'Bama, April (Tornado Season) went by without incident,(Extremely Strange) last year, on the 27th--decimated many square miles around me--

Regards to Family.---Ax.

axhandle May 29th, 2012 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 930253)
Mornin Ax :) Off today to go help cut trees down, Hope your weekend was wonderful! See ya soon :)
Wendy AKA Dave LOL

Well, Good Morning Dave--

Yes, trees--had to get SIL over to take down a Maple--BTW--extremly good wood--for making things-:), and fireplace---

I know by now , you have mastered the Nikon--;):)---attached is the Maple, in the process of being taken down, but the Bluebirds love the branches---

Ajla May 29th, 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 930288)

Yes, trees--had to get SIL over to take down a Maple--BTW--extremly good wood--for making things-:), and fireplace---

I know by now , you have mastered the Nikon--;):)---attached is the Maple, in the process of being taken down, but the Bluebirds love the branches---

You could carve some clogs with that maple wood! :D

axhandle May 29th, 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 930290)
You could carve some clogs with that maple wood! :D

Chuckle----you already know, Aj--:)

axhandle May 29th, 2012 11:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 930288)

Dave,

Look in manual, find, camera mode--can change the light the camera, sees--

Same pic, different modes--

Garlicluvr May 29th, 2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 930283)
Spitfire!--one fine bow.
Measure length of bow, nock to nock, best done with a tape measure, follow the curves, etc.

Subtract 4 inches for competition string, that is the string length, a T-square will tell, if too long, twist the string, to get the proper height.--

Lawd, Weddings--:)--Am reminded of some of Grand parents descriptions, most lasted a week, three days at minimum----Great Uncle danced the soles off his boots.---:)

Rather well in 'Bama, April (Tornado Season) went by without incident,(Extremely Strange) last year, on the 27th--decimated many square miles around me--

Regards to Family.---Ax.

Ax: AMO length is marked on bow 69" so I ordered a couple of 65" strings, should put the brace height at 7" which is what I found when I researched what the proper brace height should be. Now it only measures 6 1/4" and string looked well used and stretched so needed a new one anyhow. Even with the non-flemish strings you can twist them to shorten.

I believe the bow maker Harold Groves still holds the world record for the longest arrow shot, made with one of his Spitfire bows. Mine is a nice little 35# target version. Shot one of the better groups I have gotten in awhile with it the other night and that with a slightly long string.

Has a simple sliding one pin sight slides for elevation and has white background to mark yardages, screw adjusts for elevation. Tried the sight for a bit then the origional stick on hoyt pro rest plastic arrow support broke was probably 15 plus years old or more and brittle. Replaced it with a stick on flipper rest I had which changed impact point, since then it shoots left so may go back to a hoyt style rest when I get the new string.

Waiting for the string to make that decision and finish final tuning. Ironically I shot the tightest group barebow without using the sight, all six arrows in the yellow, three in the inner-most or X ring. Guess I an getting the hang of instinctive shooting.

Did notice shooting the 3D or even field targets at unmarked or uneven yardages the guys shooting the multi-pin compounds with all of the gizmos have trouble. They are used to know exact yardages pre-set pins and not having to estimate anything. For them a 43 yard shaot instead of an even 40 can throw them off, almost like some have never had to hold over or under a bit, like one would do with an open sight or even scoped rifle sighted at 100 when shooting a deer at 75 or 200, even 300 yards.

Jeff

axhandle May 30th, 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 930317)
Ax: AMO length is marked on bow 69" so I ordered a couple of 65" strings, should put the brace height at 7" which is what I found when I researched what the proper brace height should be. Now it only measures 6 1/4" and string looked well used and stretched so needed a new one anyhow. Even with the non-flemish strings you can twist them to shorten.

I believe the bow maker Harold Groves still holds the world record for the longest arrow shot, made with one of his Spitfire bows. Mine is a nice little 35# target version. Shot one of the better groups I have gotten in awhile with it the other night and that with a slightly long string.

Has a simple sliding one pin sight slides for elevation and has white background to mark yardages, screw adjusts for elevation. Tried the sight for a bit then the origional stick on hoyt pro rest plastic arrow support broke was probably 15 plus years old or more and brittle. Replaced it with a stick on flipper rest I had which changed impact point, since then it shoots left so may go back to a hoyt style rest when I get the new string.

Waiting for the string to make that decision and finish final tuning. Ironically I shot the tightest group barebow without using the sight, all six arrows in the yellow, three in the inner-most or X ring. Guess I an getting the hang of instinctive shooting.

Did notice shooting the 3D or even field targets at unmarked or uneven yardages the guys shooting the multi-pin compounds with all of the gizmos have trouble. They are used to know exact yardages pre-set pins and not having to estimate anything. For them a 43 yard shaot instead of an even 40 can throw them off, almost like some have never had to hold over or under a bit, like one would do with an open sight or even scoped rifle sighted at 100 when shooting a deer at 75 or 200, even 300 yards.

Jeff

Jeff,
Look up Turkish Flight Arrows---distance.
A trick--puts strain on the lower limb, but shoots like a rifle, only use in a pinch--:
Knock an arrow, place all fingers-- below---the nocked arrow, aim and shoot---:)

axhandle May 30th, 2012 09:47 AM

Instinctive Shooting---

Mr.Hill was sitting on the front porch, bow in lap, arrow nocked--focused across the ----rural road.

All of a sudden the bow came up, only a few degrees of his lap, and the arrow flew.

"That was my last arrow, would you mind going over there and getting it for me"

The arrow impaled a Ground Squirrel which was eating up the garden--

Don't know of anyone hence, with such acuteness--

axhandle May 30th, 2012 10:02 AM

The movie---"Tembo" :

In the Olden Days--chuckle--The stars always went with the movie--in person.
"Tembo" came to town---Hard Earned Cash got you in the theatre--20 cents, I was there at age 7 or 8---
Before the movie--there was always a live performance--on stage.

Mr. Hill shot dinner plates thrown in the air, then saucers, shot a cigarette out of one's mouth,an apple and thence a prune off of the stagehands head.

Then the Silver Screen appeared (Projecters turned on)--"Tembo"--Rogue Elephant --taken down by a Bow.