IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle May 10th, 2012 08:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 925466)
I tried them once at a war memorial, and they weren't half as bitter as cippolini, which are a hyacint? As they say here: Hunger sweetens raw beans! ;)

Always-

woodwitch May 10th, 2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 925517)
Vining Spinich --thanks Wood--now I have something to explore--?Where did it come from(Origion?)

"I Always 'Havs to Have Me Spinach, and Karreks"---Popeye--

Look up Red Malabar Spinich. I did a little research on it and it looks interesting. I am planting it today. Might thought on this is if it vines maybe I can keep the critters from eating it because it will get to tall for them to reach the leaves. It also likes it hot which is A GOOD thing. Now if I can just keep the critters out of it until it get bigger I will have it made.

axhandle May 10th, 2012 09:06 AM

Absolute Favorite Onion---Known as:

Walking /Spreading Onions--Down South

Egyptian Onions--also.

Plant one it propogates to at least 5, at the bulb, a stalk appears, along the way and with a a little Curly Kew at the top---it eventually falls over to the ground , and germinates.

Had a bed for 5 yrs, low maintenace, they took care of themselves--searched for two years for indiginous one's finally found them in Mississipi--$1.79/ lb, at the Co-Op---eat one and you'll never want any other kind--

woodwitch May 10th, 2012 09:10 AM

I have heard of walking onions but have never planted any. BTW there is a thread in the trade forum here on the spinich. I guess you can start it by cuttings.

axhandle May 10th, 2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 925519)
Look up Red Malabar Spinich. I did a little research on it and it looks interesting. I am planting it today. Might thought on this is if it vines maybe I can keep the critters from eating it because it will get to tall for them to reach the leaves. It also likes it hot which is A GOOD thing. Now if I can just keep the critters out of it until it get bigger I will have it made.

Now This!,---Becomes interesting!--Noticed "Nightshade"--a minor consideration--looked at pics--"If it Climbs, It Dines"--'Cept for poison oak.:)

Keep me posted.--

BTW--Jeff, Garliclver --is the Oracle on Garlic--most versatile plant put on Earth-

chickweed May 10th, 2012 09:42 AM

Ax- I love my walking onions! Taking care of my parents and dealing with my own health issues has made it all but impossible for us to have a normal garden. We lost almost everything last year, and have not been able to plant anything but a few basic things that we bought as seedlings from a neighboring organic, heirloom grower. Ed is trying to manage the basics in the raised beds and I am relying on deck gardening this year, so the tough, perennial and self seeding and propagating plants are our prides and joys. (Daddy has had 2 heart attacks and renal failure this year, Mom has taken two nasty falls - I never know when I will be living in hospital chairs for days on end).
In addition to the walking onions, what else do you suggest for a self sustaining veggie garden?

axhandle May 10th, 2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 925535)
Ax- I love my walking onions! Taking care of my parents and dealing with my own health issues has made it all but impossible for us to have a normal garden. We lost almost everything last year, and have not been able to plant anything but a few basic things that we bought as seedlings from a neighboring organic, heirloom grower. Ed is trying to manage the basics in the raised beds and I am relying on deck gardening this year, so the tough, perennial and self seeding and propagating plants are our prides and joys. (Daddy has had 2 heart attacks and renal failure this year, Mom has taken two nasty falls - I never know when I will be living in hospital chairs for days on end).
In addition to the walking onions, what else do you suggest for a self sustaining veggie garden?

I really don't know of anthing better r.e.: Onions than those, --across the board in terms of Cuisine and garden.

Asparagus--To date-Only Mary Washintons, which Daughter has a one year bed,already producing, and I gave Her some--? "Purples"---Asparagus goes for 30 yrs, plus.

Corn--North Georgia White Corn--

Hops--Saaz--be sure to get both genders.

axhandle May 10th, 2012 12:14 PM

'Americana'--c. '50's-School and Learning (Real Stuff), was Monday thru Friday-Math,Art, Well Placed 'Mischief'--

Saturday Morning!--at the theater--'cost a Dime--Shootouts, Popcorn and a drink--10 Cents,(And thats 20 Cents!) and always left with the Fact--"How does the Hero get saved from the Villians"--

axhandle May 10th, 2012 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 925600)
'Americana'--c. '50's-School and Learning (Real Stuff), was Monday thru Friday-Math,Art, Well Placed 'Mischief'--

Saturday Morning!--at the theater--'cost a Dime--Shootouts, Popcorn and a drink--10 Cents,(And thats 20 Cents!) and always left with the Fact--"How does the Hero get saved from the Villians"--

Re:--About 50 Clicks , S.E. of me a '50's theater-

redneckplanter May 10th, 2012 01:23 PM

grow on! post on!plant on!
smiles