IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle February 22nd, 2012 09:29 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 895678)
Yep,--Strange Brew in the weather, again--here, rains one day 40 degrees,next day 70--no wonder seeds get "Mixed Up"--Soil here on my plot is topsoil, one's who built the place, left it in place--thank goodness.

As I say--and before me --"Too Wet to Plow"--G'Dad said --"After April 24th"--

Thanks--Ax.

Whoops, Mulberrys--My all time favorite, used to leave the house going to ball practice, and dropped by the Mulberry tree--It grew on a bank by a little stream, the railroad track was above it--?? Gravel fertilizer--Quien Sabe?--But I do know, that I have yet to taste anything approaching them.

Ajla February 23rd, 2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 895685)
Whoops, Mulberrys--My all time favorite, used to leave the house going to ball practice, and dropped by the Mulberry tree--It grew on a bank by a little stream, the railroad track was above it--?? Gravel fertilizer--Quien Sabe?--But I do know, that I have yet to taste anything approaching them.

April 24th in the old country, that would be?
Red or white mulberry? White is too sweet,
red you cannot eat secretly, it stains so much! :eek:

FritzDaKat February 23rd, 2012 02:38 AM

Heck I'm not in here much anymore these days, but I figured I'd pop in and give folks a peek at where my heads been caught up as of late.

For a good number of years I've devoted a boatload or two of my mental energies towards developing what I felt would be an ideal "system of survival" for going off grid,,, frankly I really like the plan I have in mind and have no fear of want once I find my land,,, but as I've also been reflecting alot on world events and affairs and find that the more I look at it,,, the more it all boils down to, the global issue overturning national economies, sending families to the streets or morgues worldwide from associated health risks or financial difficulties throughout all of human history has been a combination of the lack of regional abundance and a high cost of shipping due to being hamstrung by the high cost of fossil fuels.

It was great when they first hopped on the petrochemical bandwagon,,, the technology was easy and Oil was everywhere,,, even out in the desert "where no one could grow crops" as a source of biofuel,,, but that ship has sailed, hit the iceberg and we are about 2" from finally going under it seems,,,

BUT when you look to the majority of people seeking to find alternate means they often seem to have a need to push the tech level to a "Star-Trekkish" extreme when if they would simply sit down and review past technologies like producer gas generators or even methane production which leaves a very rich compost at the end of its decomposition,,,

they may have thought this system out,,,

Lemmie know what ya'll think, or if you want a link to the white house wall where I put it up. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/notes/ziggy-...50574402413741

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me
Simple design I think is sound in principal, let me know your thought's on it,

The primary stage is the simple method of disassociation of water by electrical current, effectively separating the Hydrogen and Oxygen from the Sodium electrolyte in the process with a scraper device to remove the collected salt from the anode (Anode/Cathode,,, it's been a while since I made Hydrogen, sorry.)

The initial chamber would be large, 2-3,000 gallons or more and set to process about 150 GPM or more as final design and desired output would dictate. Initial power derived from a Stirling engine & / or a producer gas plant but more derived later in the cycle,,,

A ball valve to drain off the super saturated saline from time to time for commercial use after a little more processing.

Secondary stage is simply the re-association of the two, and why not in an engine to get more power to fuel the first cycle with?, the exhausted water can be passed through some of the bio char from the Producer gas plant and when later dried could be the very fuel to drive the producer gas generator in a rocket stove styled burner assembly helping ensure a more complete combustion to reduce any negative ecological impact in the process.

The water is then collected in a series of retorts, each of which are heated by 10'' diameter parabolic lenses and mounted in the typical oil refinery style mezzanine for ease of access for cleaning and maintenance.

The Retorts then percolate the purified water (lack of minerals or minimal deposits at best) up to a heat exchanger (maybe even more energy from Peltiers to feed back in?) where it condenses and cools and feeds into the next retort in the line,,, all we're doing is using solar heat to slowly pump a line of water up a hill essentially, (Geothermal may be useful in other areas like Inyo county CA.)

Run these circuits to a suitable height with which to run a turbine and create enough parallel, redundant lines as needed to establish sufficient flow to the process as well and we have all the needed power to loop back into the header for our local freshwater irrigation system wherever you want it to run. And more than easy enough to insert catalytic capture modules in the mix for specific atmospheric toxins or take the more organic path of Aquaponic filtration solutions. (Yea', I've been at this design in theory for a while I guess.)

The overall goal was to simplify the "Greening the Desert" process with additional irrigation without taking more from local aquifers as seen with the Vegas / L.A. water disputes,

an underlying goal would be to not only provide these nations that killed their soils for the sake of the Global Agricultural market with the necessary biomass to reestablish their soils, but to lay the foundations for these nations to lead production in Biofuels and sustainable Agriculture methods,,, of course we can do it in the southwest too (Or Midwest, or East just as well,,, or Satellites for Monsanto to make Frankenfoods on till they can prove the Creature is just a misunderstood soul after all. And it throws NASA a nice bone while I'm at it.)

I'm taking a bit of a different twist in my approach to it's presentation though, not just waving a banner to "legalize it" or anything silly like that but rather outlining the incurred costs of Oil and Atomic power due to spills, superfund sites and general catastrophes in the acquisition of the raw material and it's overall impact on the globe as a whole system first.

Secondly the focus shifts to the simplicity and low cost of sourcing the biomass via the Agricultural sectors, pointing out to those who cry how the land could be used for food and don't understand how companion planting works that they just need to do more reading on "modern methods" of agriculture and how my overall plan for renewable energy will in fact as it's "Pollutant" give us the very base components we need to replenish ALL the barren soil on earth.

Activated Carbon, suitable for agricultural use or any other like water filtration or human consumption as a Toxin absorbant is the byproduct from a Producer gas generator when properly designed (Producer gas to run retrofit coal powered plants)

Compost is the final product from Methane production in the usual digester I'm going to hazard the guess that you've seen.

Mix the two and you have in essence, a perfect growing medium which will retain up to 90% more of the nutrients as they break down into a bio-available form within the pulverized carbon, which also serves as a perfect home to the beneficial microorganisms and myco-organisms plants just love,,, the supply output would be endless, we could make flotilla farms to drift out near the oil derricks and grow fuel and food right alongside the whales using the same water desalinization plant design I had thought of for Death Valley.

As a result, the EPA now has all available materials to simply cap off the superfund sites and a readily available fuel source to provide transport for the mix and so do the Oil Industries if they heavily invest in land (Oh wait, they have millions of acres on hand they cant touch already, ;) ) Exxon will have all the absorbant to soak up any other spills on hand all the time,,, excess crops (what a phrase there eh? excess crops)

And all previous concerns over emitted carbons to the atmosphere become void as we will now be putting the bulk of that carbon which would have otherwise been released while using fossil fuels back into the soil where it should be.or using it for water filtration and intergalactic teraforming projects,,,

I even laid out a brief outline of an investment plan just to be sure everyone will feel comfortable with the idea this will make them money not loose any, emphasizing on an expanded consumer market, leading to happy shareholders through exponential commercial growth once renewable resources are adopted globally in the Plastics & textiles industries as well,,, many raw materials would come from the producer gas plants for them as well as the Methane stations at nearly a nill cost,,, Overall the system when viewed as a whole will roughly double the capacity of the earths Ecosystem to filter out and process pollutants naturally,,, more so if we take advantage of the examples of the floating city of Dubai and spread the process out to sea.

Almost feels like I have a job again. lol

FritzDaKat February 23rd, 2012 11:07 PM

Whoops,, typo,,, thats a 10 foot diameter parabolic lens,,, not even a perfect one,,, surely easy enough for the descendents of the creators of the Sphinx I'd think.

Wow it got quiet in here today?? ;)

axhandle February 24th, 2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 896060)
April 24th in the old country, that would be?
Red or white mulberry? White is too sweet,
red you cannot eat secretly, it stains so much! :eek:

G'dad never planted till after that date, and it never failed me.Usually about mid week of April thru part of May, there is a cold snap,(Blackberry Winter it's called) enough to nip buds and kill sprouts.

I always go out to the blackberry patch out back, and keep an eye on the buds, when they flower, you can bet on a cold snap within a few days to a week.

Red ones!--:)--Some of the girls in neighborhood, made sure to eat the red ones, to them it was "Lipstick"---boy do I get a chuckle each time I recall the pictures in my mind--:)

Ajla February 24th, 2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 896511)
G'dad never planted till after that date, and it never failed me.Usually about mid week of April thru part of May, there is a cold snap,(Blackberry Winter it's called) enough to nip buds and kill sprouts.

I always go out to the blackberry patch out back, and keep an eye on the buds, when they flower, you can bet on a cold snap within a few days to a week.

Red ones!--:)--Some of the girls in neighborhood, made sure to eat the red ones, to them it was "Lipstick"---boy do I get a chuckle each time I recall the pictures in my mind--:)

I bet you chased them around the mulberry bush too! :D

axhandle February 24th, 2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzDaKat (Post 896455)
Whoops,, typo,,, thats a 10 foot diameter parabolic lens,,, not even a perfect one,,, surely easy enough for the descendents of the creators of the Sphinx I'd think.

Wow it got quiet in here today?? ;)

Oh, No Fritz, I'm reading your post--Stirling cycle-yes.

Swedish made refrigerators--run off of kerosene, about a gallon per week, as I understand they work on the old Ammonia Cycle, principle, thats all that was around in the 40's 50's and it got stuff---cold.

Moving water up a hill--no energy required, self contained and about 3 moving parts-- Ram Pump--

You've thrown out a whole semester here, give me a day or so--;):D---Mercy!:D

axhandle February 24th, 2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 896514)
I bet you chased them around the mulberry bush too! :D

Aj, You made my day!--Sometimes I need a spark to re ignite my memory banks--Thanks--:)

"Here we go 'round the Mulberry bush"
"The Mulberry bush"
"So early in the Morn-ing"

Next time I go out to Old Town, going to ride by and see if any vestiges are left.

P.S. Chuckle--They just didn't understand I had a pocket full of Muberrys to give away--:D

Hairy Moose Knuckles February 24th, 2012 07:32 AM

Me to Ax!

Before my uncle Joe passed, he showed me a letter from Bonnie Parker. This was before she turned ganster. She was somehow related to my Grandmother. After he passed away, there were several relatives cleaning his house and going through things, but nobody was able to find it. I would have liked to have had that piece of history. I do have a letter that my uncle wrote while he was overseas during WWII. He told me he wrote it in the middle of the night while on duty. it is written in a circle and it's hard to read, but it's stamped with date. I took it and had it enlarged so I could read it.

axhandle February 24th, 2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Moose Knuckles (Post 896525)
Me to Ax!

Before my uncle Joe passed, he showed me a letter from Bonnie Parker. This was before she turned ganster. She was somehow related to my Grandmother. After he passed away, there were several relatives cleaning his house and going through things, but nobody was able to find it. I would have liked to have had that piece of history. I do have a letter that my uncle wrote while he was overseas during WWII. He told me he wrote it in the middle of the night while on duty. it is written in a circle and it's hard to read, but it's stamped with date. I took it and had it enlarged so I could read it.

Oh, absolutely, you bet!--That Bonnie was 'Piece'O Work!.--Worth looking in to from a geneology standpoint--

The WWII, interesting--I'd like to see that one--any idea where he was Stationed?

During the time, G.I's could even take a piece of cardboard from a K-ration carton,, write their letter on it, and drop it off--It got delivered, Back to the Staes--postage free.

Keeping up with your Rebel project, Ostrich Saddle-and maker--prime stuff.