IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

Garlicluvr January 23rd, 2012 08:19 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Welcome back Ax. Been looking at Flintlocks at Cabela's and Dixie Gun Works think I have settled on a finished Kentucky rifle in .45 cal or a kit for a Pennsylvania Flintlock also in .45. both beauties kinda leaning towards the kit as I need a good late winter project.

They also carry the Kentucky or a tennessee in .36, .50 and .54. The 36 is tempting since this is mostly a fun gun for plinking, target and some small game maybe. The .45 is probably the most versatile big enough for deer or hogs still ok for small game and just having fun shooting.

I have a question Ax. how difficult is it to do a browning job on the barrell and other metal parts at home? Do the do it yourself kits work well?

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff:)

Ajla January 23rd, 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881327)
Aj, re Post 5054--did I pass the test?:)

Ran across these the other day---Hmmmm--- and added it to the Project List, right under the Clogs--:) Have everything to do them with.

Tornado hit here about 4A.M--skirted about a mile N--moving NNE--after it passed, opened the bedroom window, and the rain falling on the Tin Deck Roof took me back to when I was a kid at G'Parents house--"The Land of Nod--:D

Flying colours! Wim Wenders is special.
I like buttermilk cornbread! ;)
Und die Wanderschuhe????

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 881335)
Welcome back Ax. Been looking at Flintlocks at Cabela's and Dixie Gun Works think I have settled on a finished Kentucky rifle in .45 cal or a kit for a Pennsylvania Flintlock also in .45. both beauties kinda leaning towards the kit as I need a good late winter project.

They also carry the Kentucky or a tennessee in .36, .50 and .54. The 36 is tempting since this is mostly a fun gun for plinking, target and some small game maybe. The .45 is probably the most versatile big enough for deer or hogs still ok for small game and just having fun shooting.

I have a question Ax. how difficult is it to do a browning job on the barrell and other metal parts at home? Do the do it yourself kits work well?

Appreciate any advice.

Jeff:)

My pleasure Jeff, will tell you my experiences---no problem--

Browning is nothing but 'Controlled Rust"---the commercial stuff is nothing but a hoot and waste of money and time.

Ax's Capsule:--

Look up Cigar Humidors--(Cabinet Type)-- only for operation humidity/temp specs.

Some of the best barrels came from controlled environment cabinets--coat bore with Beeswax--!

Kits--Italy--i.e.Lyman-Uberti-etc--Superb!.
Spain --Beware!, shoots but looks like mud and made to sell--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881421)
My pleasure Jeff, will tell you my experiences---no problem--

Browning is nothing but 'Controlled Rust"---the commercial stuff is nothing but a hoot and waste of money and time.

Ax's Capsule:--

Look up Cigar Humidors--(Cabinet Type)-- only for operation humidity/temp specs.

Some of the best barrels came from controlled environment cabinets--coat bore with Beeswax--!

Kits--Italy--i.e.Lyman-Uberti-etc--Superb!.
Spain --Beware!, shoots but looks like mud and made to sell--

My ultimate--the one carried by Hawkeye, (Last of the Mohicans)--maybe two-- one .25 caliber and one in the origional caliber--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 11:26 AM

"The soft leather of an Officers boots are uncomfortable, and impractical, as I light my last 'Gaulouis', (The Heat even in the morning is stifling!) the train leaves in one hour, I have but 10 Francs in my pocket,--more than the regruts already passed out on the train platform, 'with not a single 'Sou in their pocket (Oh, Youth).

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881435)
"The soft leather of an Officers boots are uncomfortable, and impractical, as I light my last 'Gaulouis', (The Heat even in the morning is stifling!) the train leaves in one hour, I have but 10 Francs in my pocket,--more than the regruts already passed out on the train platform, 'with not a single 'Sou in their pocket (Oh, Youth).

I have an hour, the walk to the train is only 5 minutes.Precious time to kill,; a breeze blows down the alley, I follow it,--on my left --a sign, Rat du Mort--drop in for Breakfast , a Chartreuisse.

Down the alley, a box, for a Dinar marked Tea--pay and tuck it under my arm--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881438)
I have an hour, the walk to the train is only 5 minutes.Precious time to kill,; a breeze blows down the alley, I follow it,--on my left --a sign, Rat du Mort--drop in for Breakfast , a Chartreuisse.

Down the alley, a box, for a Dinar marked Tea--pay and tuck it under my arm--

In youth, Mom had this (1953) , a Teapot, on her top shelf--to me it was Alladins Lamp--it went by with ages , but yesterday at an estate sale it reappeared--

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881453)
In youth, Mom had this (1953) , a Teapot, on her top shelf--to me it was Aladdins Lamp--it went by with ages , but yesterday at an estate sale it reappeared--

Along with that--despite 'Missus' --"best move against' "--

A Windsor/Sadler Teapot--Rose Bud--signed in Blue Delft ink---hmmm--

'Missus got interested in--Teapots----

;):)--for good reason.

chickweed January 23rd, 2012 12:19 PM

Did you get storm damage, Ax?

w8in4dave January 23rd, 2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 881459)
Along with that--despite 'Missus' --"best move against' "--

A Windsor/Sadler Teapot--Rose Bud--signed in Blue Delft ink---hmmm--

'Missus got interested in--Teapots----

;):)--for good reason.

:)