IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

Garlicluvr January 19th, 2012 09:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 879464)
So true and that is the best coffee there is right there, Jeff! :)

Steve

Good to see you Steve: Hope all is well there. Looks like another cold spell here so the old woodstove will be going again.

Wonder where Ax is? Hopefully he is just on a walkabout or enjoying some family time.

Jeff:)

tweed January 20th, 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 879510)
Good to see you Steve: Hope all is well there. Looks like another cold spell here so the old woodstove will be going again.

Wonder where Ax is? Hopefully he is just on a walkabout or enjoying some family time.

Yeah, I hope he is also.
Thanks for the well wishes. :)
I was looking at old wood/coal parlor stoves online the other day.
Them restored ones is HIIIIIIIIGH!

Steve

redneckplanter January 22nd, 2012 01:17 AM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.smiles

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 875716)
Let's see now--scratching beard momentarily--:)---A flagon of Glogg on the table, very nice furniture, (practical/ functional--Hmmm got to look that style up),a foot warmer under the table--and a Pretty Lady taking a picture--

What did I miss?--:)

Aj, re Post 5054--did I pass the test?:)

Ran across these the other day---Hmmmm--- and added it to the Project List, right under the Clogs--:) Have everything to do them with.

Tornado hit here about 4A.M--skirted about a mile N--moving NNE--after it passed, opened the bedroom window, and the rain falling on the Tin Deck Roof took me back to when I was a kid at G'Parents house--"The Land of Nod--:D

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 876635)
What about: Der Himmel über Berlin?

This was a pleasant puzzle Aj, in looking it up the light bulb came on after "Wings of Desire" appeared, one further-Years ago I saw "Im Weiter Ferne, so nah"--80's remake---have to scrounge around and find my copy---good one.

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 877907)
Ax: It has been cold here the last 4 days or so so been running the wood stove all day. Still nothing like a warm wood stove on a cold day.

Have the new percolator going on top the wood stove this morning and just now drinking my first cup of the day superb.

Going to search Cabela's today, have two percolaters, but want one like yours-stainless---Fantastic for a Walkabout--:)

We had a fire two weekends ago all day and night, Cherry, it burns twice as long, little residue and puts off the kilocalories!--chuckle I even crack the window in the living room a bit to get that aroma.

Strange weather, here, tornado came thru at 4 A.M. but cut North of me--did some heavy damage about 20 or so miles out.

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 879463)
Mornin', Ax! :)
Dad made my first fishin' pole from the same thing. A Cane Pole it is called.
He also made me a spite wad blowgun from the same thing.
Guess he thought I might practice to join the military instead of taking it to school! LOL :D

Steve

Yep, we used to go cut Fishin Poles bring them home , tie a brick on the small end and hang them up to cure--straight and tempered, all in one.:)

Just found out a week or so ago--no license required to fish with a pole and live bait--

Back When, we used to make a "Rod and Reel"--cane pole, thread spool, big one some scrap metal and coathangers-we got pretty good at it after learning what a nice 2# Catfish could do to scraps and coathangers--chuckle--most of them ended up in the creek--:D

Undaunted, back to the workbench--apply what was learned.:)

Garlicluvr January 23rd, 2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 880395)
Yeah, I hope he is also.

Steve

Steve those restored parlor stoves are Pricey to say the least some beauties the high end ones were very ornate with lots of Nickel trim. I had a coal burning railroad style potbell in the Kitchen of an old place I used to live. The thing had too good of a draft and even dampered down as far as she would go would burn through wood faster that you could feed her. Had to burn coal as it would be a full time job to chop enough small chunks to keep it fed. When you opened her up she would draft so much she would roar like a locomotive and turn the heavy ribbed cast iron bottom a bright cherry red. A mini blast furnace but it would heat up that drafty old kitchen in a hurry.

House was built in the mid to late 1700's and added onto several times had tons of character and of course nothing was straight or plumb anymore. She was built solid though diagonal pine sheathing on the walls with lathe and plaster over that and the support beams/sills, etc were whole logs with the tops flattened and squared but left round on the bottom. Post and beam frame with rough cut lumber beams and wall studs many oak. Built lika a brick #$@# house as my mom would say.

Jeff:D

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 880941)
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.smiles

chuckle:D

Took G'Daughter up to park yesterday, an oak tree (Native , not planted, big)---bumper crop of acorns, and Sprouting!--Had scaley bark--?

Promised Pepper some acorns from here, and also yours for the asking.:)---there is a ton of them!

axhandle January 23rd, 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 880395)
Yeah, I hope he is also.

Steve

Makes me sleepy just thinking about one, and has to have the rail running around the belly to prop the feet on--;):D