IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:31 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 873035)
Ax: I didnt know Bowie's knife was made from meteorite iron. Good stuff wouldnt mind finding a chunk or two.

Been looking at black powder revolvers for awhile they just look fun to shoot, the Navy or Army model 44's replica. Something with adjustable sights. Used to have a Cabelas brand hawken in .50 cal was fun and accurate to shoot with patched round balls and about 40 grains of powder. Could shoot her all day with that light load and it was surprisingly accurate with the round balls. Could still get 1 to 1 1/2" groupd at 50 yards, around 3-4" at 100 yards not bad for a round ball. Mine was percussion.

Used a conical bullet and 90 to 100 grains of powder for hunting loads for deer was plenty accurate out to 100 maybe even 150 yards. could getr just over 1" groups at 100.

I wouldnt mind getting a flintlock to play around with. Been looking at the Kentucky rifles in kit form, I also like the Lyman great plains rifle but cant remember if it is available in flint-lock. Havent decided on caliber with .45 or .50 I could hunt deer and plink. The squirrel rifles in .32 or .36 have always intrigued me too though and would be fun target/plinkers and of courser small game and garden pest guns. Not as easy as just pulling out the RWS pellet rifle but I like a challenge and have always liked playing with the more primitive weapons be they flintlock, bow or blowgun.

Jeff:)

Oh,Boy--Meteorites--"Missus and I went down to an old Fort site, Andrew Jackson--c.1812--I hunt like crazy with a metal detector--'Missus --"Doodles About" as usual--picks up a chunk of meterorite--embedded in a bank--where the dozer went thru--

"Missus $3,000"
"Ax--Zero--she does it everytime--:)

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 873035)
Ax: I didnt know Bowie's knife was made from meteorite iron. Good stuff wouldnt mind finding a chunk or two.

Been looking at black powder revolvers for awhile they just look fun to shoot, the Navy or Army model 44's replica. Something with adjustable sights. Used to have a Cabelas brand hawken in .50 cal was fun and accurate to shoot with patched round balls and about 40 grains of powder. Could shoot her all day with that light load and it was surprisingly accurate with the round balls. Could still get 1 to 1 1/2" groupd at 50 yards, around 3-4" at 100 yards not bad for a round ball. Mine was percussion.

Used a conical bullet and 90 to 100 grains of powder for hunting loads for deer was plenty accurate out to 100 maybe even 150 yards. could getr just over 1" groups at 100.

I wouldnt mind getting a flintlock to play around with. Been looking at the Kentucky rifles in kit form, I also like the Lyman great plains rifle but cant remember if it is available in flint-lock. Havent decided on caliber with .45 or .50 I could hunt deer and plink. The squirrel rifles in .32 or .36 have always intrigued me too though and would be fun target/plinkers and of courser small game and garden pest guns. Not as easy as just pulling out the RWS pellet rifle but I like a challenge and have always liked playing with the more primitive weapons be they flintlock, bow or blowgun.

Jeff:)

BP revolvers--back when--bought a Navy Arms --Colt 44 Army Kit--made by Uberti, Italy--superb.
Doing some gunsmithing at the time, as a diversion--lots of work--pics later that was 30 yrs ago--blued it after much polishing,etc--Deep Blue--only gun that hasn't rusted since I can remember--Nice Helft--natural pointability---it becomes an extension of one's hand , and not the opposite--

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873042)
BP revolvers--back when--bought a Navy Arms --Colt 44 Army Kit--made by Uberti, Italy--superb.
Doing some gunsmithing at the time, as a diversion--lots of work--pics later that was 30 yrs ago--blued it after much polishing,etc--Deep Blue--only gun that hasn't rusted since I can remember--Nice Helft--natural pointability---it becomes an extension of one's hand , and not the opposite--

Find some Pillow Ticking--the old Blue and White stuff---priceless-best patches ever--

Yep, still looking for a 25-32 Cal percussion "Squirrel Rifle",--probably tote it around all day--and never fire a Shot--Another Walkabout, another day in the Forest--Solace, and Priceless--

chickweed January 4th, 2012 09:58 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

axhandle January 4th, 2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 873042)

I'd go with the .45 Cal--good quality arm (Manufacture)--I stick with Lyman and Uberti of Italy--

Gads--:D--90 grains of FFg--!!:D--back down to about 50 --chuckle.

axhandle January 4th, 2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 873046)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

And so to you, Chick--Have followed your plight, of recent,--lost both my parents before I was 35--I miss them, and think of them each day.

The Frost in Virginia--Time to go to the Taverns of Williamsburg,a fine fire, a smoke, and at least 4 Flagons of brew--;):D

axhandle January 4th, 2012 10:16 AM

Where Is Mook!??-- last post he was ill--Hope he is O.K. now,--bit concerned.

redneckplanter January 4th, 2012 10:17 AM

and so now?

redneckplanter January 4th, 2012 10:18 AM

we count down?

redneckplanter January 4th, 2012 10:19 AM

to magical 5000.