IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

Garlicluvr January 3rd, 2012 12:23 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872669)
Pics

Of most interest--
1.Memorize the Cyrillics on the receiver , one day you will run across one--;)
2.Cartouches on the stock, passed by many a hand, to make sure servicibility.
3. Scope--and sights--/Sight Picture--
3.1--Took Pic Off Center--shows design-- it's off!-- reminds the shooter that he does not have the proper sight picture.(Parallax built in?)--Ingenius.
4.Action smooth as glass--totally different from Field Issue--

Looking into some local contacts on a Pig Bomb Safari--They are Here!--

Very interesting Ax, was it possibly one of the sniper versions, would explain smoother action and passing through more hands/inspections. Very Nice Indeed

Did the scope come with the rifle or did you add it later? Again the scope suggests a sniper or sharpshooter version.

Jeff:)

I will have to pick up a few more boxes of that PPU ammo along with another half dozen Zwickey broadheads, still quality and still razor sharp right out of the box. Forgot to order the glue on tapered adapters so I can use them on the aluminum and carbon arrows with screw in inserts.

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872695)
Very interesting Ax, was it possibly one of the sniper versions, would explain smoother action and passing through more hands/inspections. Very Nice Indeed

Did the scope come with the rifle or did you add it later? Again the scope suggests a sniper or sharpshooter version.

I will have to pick up a few more boxes of that PPU ammo along with another half dozen Zwickey broadheads, still quality and still razor sharp right out of the box. Forgot to order the glue on tapered adapters so I can use them on the aluminum and carbon arrows with screw in inserts.

Came origional, spotted it in a pawn shop--1944--the Cyrillics,as I said-- --Sniper-

Scope--1953--someone pawned it as "Junk"--because they didn't know-- the scope--was the only problem, took it apart to replace the leather washers--well worn--

See--"Enemy at the Gates"--;):)

Garlicluvr January 3rd, 2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872699)
Came origional, spotted it in a pawn shop--1944--the Cyrillics,as I said-- --Sniper-

Scope--1953--someone pawned it as "Junk"--because they didn't know-- the scope--was the only problem, took it apart to replace the leather washers--well worn--

See--"Enemy at the Gates"--;):)

Ax: Is that the one about the Russian Snipers in Stalingrad?

Jeff

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872703)
Ax: Is that the one about the Russian Snipers in Stalingrad?

Jeff

Yep----

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 872615)
Sounds good Ax. On a side note pigbomb has not reached Maryland yet. If it had wouldnt mind doing a pig hunt then a pig roast. Either with rifle of bow.

They are here, not 10miles out--down in the areas of dense cover, very smart almost always a Night Hunt--they lay low during the day.

Looking back, to Georgia/Fla., c'72--the Russians--tusks from 3-5inches, mean as hades,black/Red hair--

Eventually communes with domestics, and migration North and NW--thru 'Bama--the ones showing up here have red hair, and all in between, some 5 " tusks showing up--150--300lbs average.

Bolder,park about 15 miles out--they just prance in--feed on whatever , snort at humans--thence in evening leave.
They are very smart--

Two fellows got 4 two weeks ago, one with3" Tusks, barbeque the next day, and a Pig in the Ground, rest wen to needy families.

I fully suspect--by genetics the ones that end up in Md will be 3 ft high, 400+ pounds and at least 5 inch tusks--these ae the Eurasians (Russian)--born to cold country adapt, and thrive.

Meanwhile--probably around 1Million here in 'Bama.

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 07:42 PM

Plant--Jim Bowies knife was made from a meterorite---

Black Powder:

KNO3--Potassium Nitrate
S--sulfer
Charcoal----Willow 'be 'Tha Best.

Reduce to the finest----seperately.

After applying the Formulae'-mix and dry on a flat sheet-dry-in the sun.

Break up the mess into 'Gauze"--metal strainers which seperate the grains--F,FFg, and FFg the finest,---F is cannon, FFg Rifle, and FFFg is pistol.

Tumble the grains in graphite, till smooth--Package.

Primers are copper cups with mercury fulminate-and others--just a brush all round inside.--careful!!-dry and coat the inside with varnish--thin coat--

Good Shootin!--:)

axhandle January 3rd, 2012 07:45 PM

Autumn--sent you a note Sat--Twilight Zone Marathon, SY FY channel--still going today-- started at '60's and worked on thru.

redneckplanter January 3rd, 2012 10:53 PM

5000 cmon ya'll.smiles

axhandle January 4th, 2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 872943)
5000 cmon ya'll.smiles

The clock will stop at 4,999---:D

Good site, that RNA--looks like a lot of previous posters there.:)

Garlicluvr January 4th, 2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 872893)
Plant--Jim Bowies knife was made from a meterorite---

Black Powder:

KNO3--Potassium Nitrate
S--sulfer
Charcoal----Willow 'be 'Tha Best.

Reduce to the finest----seperately.

After applying the Formulae'-mix and dry on a flat sheet-dry-in the sun.

Break up the mess into 'Gauze"--metal strainers which seperate the grains--F,FFg, and FFg the finest,---F is cannon, FFg Rifle, and FFFg is pistol.

Tumble the grains in graphite, till smooth--Package.

Primers are copper cups with mercury fulminate-and others--just a brush all round inside.--careful!!-dry and coat the inside with varnish--thin coat--

Good Shootin!--:)

Ax: I didnt know Bowie's knife was made from meteorite iron. Good stuff wouldnt mind finding a chunk or two.

Been looking at black powder revolvers for awhile they just look fun to shoot, the Navy or Army model 44's replica. Something with adjustable sights. Used to have a Cabelas brand hawken in .50 cal was fun and accurate to shoot with patched round balls and about 40 grains of powder. Could shoot her all day with that light load and it was surprisingly accurate with the round balls. Could still get 1 to 1 1/2" groupd at 50 yards, around 3-4" at 100 yards not bad for a round ball. Mine was percussion.

Used a conical bullet and 90 to 100 grains of powder for hunting loads for deer was plenty accurate out to 100 maybe even 150 yards. could getr just over 1" groups at 100.

I wouldnt mind getting a flintlock to play around with. Been looking at the Kentucky rifles in kit form, I also like the Lyman great plains rifle but cant remember if it is available in flint-lock. Havent decided on caliber with .45 or .50 I could hunt deer and plink. The squirrel rifles in .32 or .36 have always intrigued me too though and would be fun target/plinkers and of courser small game and garden pest guns. Not as easy as just pulling out the RWS pellet rifle but I like a challenge and have always liked playing with the more primitive weapons be they flintlock, bow or blowgun.