IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

skiracer December 7th, 2011 10:39 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 861533)
It's December 7th., 2011.
December 7th, 1941--"A Date that will live in Infamy"

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto warned the Japanese Government against an attack against the U.S.--in my mind--much wisdom there.

A Tribute--posted here--

"To Souls , Lost,--

Pearl Harbor---"Pearl" and 9/11's---

"Distant Hoofbeats , on Crimson Sod"
"All Souls Known, to God"

I was reading an article by "Pat Buchanan" this morning regarding the events leading up to the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor. It was based on a book by Herbert Hoover. Worth reading. It portrays another side of the story regarding the week by week events leading up to the Japanese invasion. It seems that the Japanese weren't of the mindset to invade or go to war with the USA but that Roosevelt and higher ups in his administration were deadset against drawing them into war with us with a number of their actions across the board. It seems that it could have been averted if Roosevelts Adm. exercised a more equitable stance towards Japanese requests from us. The name of the book is: Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's History of the 2nd World War and It's Aftermath. I havent read it yet or even own it yet but Buchanan's article seemed quite interesting and portrayed a view not well known about the events that brought Japanese involvement and their invasion of Pearl Harbor.

axhandle December 7th, 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 861543)
Can you tell me a little bit about this stove Ax ? It was given to me by my father in law...military issue I think...made by Rogers Akron Ohio.Looks like an old coleman stove and looks like it burns coleman fuel or unleaded gas.He was in Korea and Vietnam...thats about all I know.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...oot/004-22.jpg

Yep, give me a day or so,:)built in Akron, resembles --Scandinavian engineering,, maybe Mountain--

axhandle December 7th, 2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 861546)
Brazilian Rosewood. Very dark in color and very hard. Absolutetely needs to be predrilled at every fastener whether it be nails or screws. Beautiful wood but very expensive and hard to work with. Not worth it in my estimation. Can get the same look with Mohogany at much less price and so much easier to work with. Even with Mohogany you would still have to predrill for your fasteners.

"Santa Maria"--!! some of the hardest wood, from Brazil--and the best for floors--have your tungsten tools, ready--Caranuba and Montand waxes--at hand--never worry about walking on a floor --again-!--'An 'Tha Missus loves the Gleam--;):)

axhandle December 8th, 2011 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 861550)
Yep, give me a day or so,:)built in Akron, resembles --Scandinavian engineering,, maybe Mountain--

Yep US, backpack stove--many ,many made in WWII and used in Korea, etc also.

You should be able to find a stamp on the aluminum canister--and or the stove itself--

I remebered yesterday, that I had a canister downstairs---but no stove--:)

As to fuel, most Mils were made to burn about anything, Coleman fuel would be my choice.

Nice prize there ,Mook--and documented--

axhandle December 8th, 2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 861548)
I was reading an article by "Pat Buchanan" this morning regarding the events leading up to the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor. It was based on a book by Herbert Hoover. Worth reading. It portrays another side of the story regarding the week by week events leading up to the Japanese invasion. It seems that the Japanese weren't of the mindset to invade or go to war with the USA but that Roosevelt and higher ups in his administration were deadset against drawing them into war with us with a number of their actions across the board. It seems that it could have been averted if Roosevelts Adm. exercised a more equitable stance towards Japanese requests from us. The name of the book is: Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's History of the 2nd World War and It's Aftermath. I havent read it yet or even own it yet but Buchanan's article seemed quite interesting and portrayed a view not well known about the events that brought Japanese involvement and their invasion of Pearl Harbor.

Yep, we knew minute by minute what was going on, and the inevitable
Japanese ambassadors were ordered to deliver their declaration of war , just a few minutes before 0755AM, Hawaii time.

I say inevitable because of the festering mess in Europe, already two years hence--Adolph twisted the Japanese's arms, as well as Mussolini----Strategy was ,--tie the Allied powers down on two ends of the scale--Didn't work-:D

Sadly, enough, given the times--I'm not to sure about the existance of another "Sleeping Giant", existing, anymore--Hope I'm wrong--Ax.

Good to hear from you--

axhandle December 8th, 2011 07:55 AM

Ski,
Holidays tend to remind me of what someone else doesn't have, not the reverse.

Yesterday, looking for something else, came across my copy of "M" by John Sack, got it at "Dix" and began to read my ballpoint pen entries in the pages.

"M"--Mike Co. was--oh well read it,--right behind us (A-1-1)--walking across the parade field, adjacent to the brigade--the sun was at the right angle--I saw a big "M", the height of the barracks, which had been painted over but shown thru by the light angle.

A must read, if so inclined--buy it , or type in "M" John Sack and read it online--

Have a good one--Ax.

Ezzrider December 8th, 2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 862092)
Ski,
Holidays tend to remind me of what someone else doesn't have, not the reverse.

Yesterday, looking for something else, came across my copy of "M" by John Sack, got it at "Dix" and began to read my ballpoint pen entries in the pages.

"M"--Mike Co. was--oh well read it,--right behind us (A-1-1)--walking across the parade field, adjacent to the brigade--the sun was at the right angle--I saw a big "M", the height of the barracks, which had been painted over but shown thru by the light angle.

A must read, if so inclined--buy it , or type in "M" John Sack and read it online--

Have a good one--Ax.

Ax - Which branch of the military were you in? I served 4 years in the Navy from 70 to 74.

axhandle December 8th, 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezzrider (Post 862103)
Ax - Which branch of the military were you in? I served 4 years in the Navy from 70 to 74.

Infantry, Drafted in '68.EOS--

My best Friend (Deceased) was in the Navy, in early '60's--graduated at 18yrs old from same, he quit HS.

What some tales we shared--;):)

axhandle December 8th, 2011 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 862132)
Infantry, Drafted in '68.EOS--

My best Friend (Deceased) was in the Navy, in early '60's--graduated at 18yrs old from same, he quit HS.

What some tales we shared--;):)

A Pic,

Bottom--German Navy--"Kreuzer Lurtzdam--'60's?
Middle --Soviet --"Baltic Fleet"-
On The Top,--U.S. Navy--WWII--Have a good one--;):)---Ax.

axhandle December 8th, 2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 862157)
A Pic,

Bottom--German Navy--"Kreuzer Lurtzdam--'60's?
Middle --Soviet --"Baltic Fleet"-
On The Top,--U.S. Navy--WWII--Have a good one--;):)---Ax.

A couple of Pics--c.'80's--U.S.S Alabama--Home Port--Mobile, Alabama--

In elementary school--(First Grade)--I gave $1.00 / lots of candy--:) to bring the 'Bama Home-- it's there--now--