IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

RozieDozie February 10th, 2011 06:17 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Snow. It's snowing. Sort of a drippy, yucky kind of thing. Yuck!

Good Morning, Everyone. I'm drinking coffee and waiting for the sun to rise but I don't think there's going to be one. :D

Enjoy your day.

Hi, Springfever! Good to see you....

chickweed February 10th, 2011 06:50 AM

Good morning all! We have a gingerbread icing of snow - and damp, cold, windy, icy........Yoda stayed out long enough to cock his leg on the bottom step! Mommy filled the bird feeders, made herself some iced coffee, and everybody is curled up under the covers watching the birds at the feeder on the bedroom deck. Except Fox - his blind eye is facing the door and his good eye is closed.
Spring! I was thinking about you yesterday....hope everything is going well.
WAKE UP EVERYBODY! We are a day closer to springtime!

woodwitch February 10th, 2011 07:03 AM

Good morning everyone. 2 below here today with mountains of snow. We are warming up for the next week and get into the 50 Tues. The Bald Eagle is back in this tree over looking the lake. I guess he things he is going to bag a goose. Good luck with that eagle.

Garlicluvr February 10th, 2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerhawk (Post 708453)
Nice to meet you Jeff:)

Yep I live 30 minutes south of Chincoteague and 30 minutes north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel that connects the peninsula to Hampton Roads/Va Beach... I live right in the middle of the VA peninsula on the seaside:) It is very cool to see a sunrise in the morning on the seaside and hang out on the bay side to see the sunset in the same day:D

Nice to me an ex-Navy iDigger! I am interested in your blacksmith work! Would love to see your set up:)

Summerhawk: My forge is in pieces right now, hope to get it set up some day now that I am at a permanent place and not moving or renting anymmore. I havent had one set up for several years as I have moved around some and was renting a place up until a few years ago.

When I had the forge going I was making mostly blacksmithing tools, a few knives and had started doing some decorative iron, door knockers, hardware, etc. And made several BBQ forks and spatulas.

I had a very basic brake drum forge at the time a truck brake drum with a piece of plate cut to fit the bottom a grate that was nothiong more than a steel circle or disk with holes drilled in it and some black iron piping going to an old hand crank buffalo forge blower I picked up at an auction. I found some bituminous or soft coal at a place north of Baltimore and a used 100lb anvil and was in business.

I was set up outside in back of my garage under some pines. Kind of out in the open but then I didnt have to worry about chimneys and venting. Mounted the Anvil to a large stump, used an old oil drum and a 5 gallon bucket for quenching. Water in the bucket and used motor oil in the metal drum with a handled lid in case of flare ups. Got most of my steel/iron stock from local junkyards, scrap places and mechanics who would save leaf and coil springs for me.

I have since bought a nice heavy cast iron firepot and a forge hood from centaur forge. Just need to build a steel or masonary forge and put it all together. I will probably go with a steel one as I can build it much faster and they function just as well as masonary for blacksmithing. Basic design is a large rectangular table with the firepot mounted in the center and probably angle iron lip all the way around the table. Put the hood above the firepot and some legs to get it at the proper working height. I like the fact that with a steel forge I can easily weld on a bunch of hooks around the edge for hanging tongs and other tools.

Jeff:)

w8in4dave February 10th, 2011 09:20 AM

Yea ok I am awake ... looking for a scale for making soap.. Decimals you know I am not good at math lol here is what //i came up with :D
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...paign=shopping

Garlicluvr February 10th, 2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwitch (Post 708682)
Good morning everyone. 2 below here today with mountains of snow. We are warming up for the next week and get into the 50 Tues. The Bald Eagle is back in this tree over looking the lake. I guess he things he is going to bag a goose. Good luck with that eagle.

Wood you are cold there. It is in the thirties here and I only got about an inch of snow. I have seen eagles get ducks so wouldnt be surprised if he does manage to bag one of those Geese even without your moron neighbors shooting them first.

w8in4dave February 10th, 2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozieDozie (Post 708664)
So, you built a windmill, eh? :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the stress test.

Rozie

Wouldn't that be cool to be able to build one?? Ajla sent me a pic..I took a pic of it and used it for my avatar :D cool huh??

axhandle February 10th, 2011 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 708539)
Well I went to see my family Doc today, had blood work done , EKG, and chest X rays ..my EKG was abnormal so I have to have a stress test monday morning ...Not what I wanted to do, or hear pfftttt ... Ax you have got to see my new avatar :D hang on :D gotta get it downloaded!!!

Absolutely love it--windmills are one of my favorite Gizmos-Ajla posted one last year where she lives the local source for ground meal and flour.

I saved the pic, subsequently did a bit of my inept artwork, and posted it back to her in reciprocation.

Well, here you are for the next week or so,--play it up!----;):D

I really hope you do well Post-Op, and a full recovery.:)

Ax is always about--

chickweed February 10th, 2011 09:33 AM

Wendy...good luck on everything! Most of the time the stress tests show no reason not to proceed - I have to have one everytime I have surgery. Sometimes, I think they are another gimmick for the insurance companies and really are not as necessary as they are made out to be.
And for goodness sake, Miss Klutz.....don't burn yourself while you are making soap!:D

Garlicluvr February 10th, 2011 09:37 AM

Dave: Good luck on the surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery. You know you may want to stop skateboarding after this.:D