IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

chickweed December 10th, 2010 06:44 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 671142)
Went over to the bank the other day ,Chick--waiting at the drive thru-off to my right--in a small clearing was a cat,pretty one, his house had been put there, insulated, people have been dropping off food etc.and even clearing the underbrush off, abandoned by someone--my heart went Twang--think we might adopt him--and at the least--make sure of existance for the winter.
I used to fill the truck up with good blankets, socks etc, and go put it out down at the courthouse lawn for the street people, if the County wants to arrest me for dumping----then so be it--!!

Hmmm--Yoda the clever Fox--the master is a rock---;):D

That is so sweet, Ax. If people have gone to that much trouble, the cat may be feral and not let you get close to it. We have one that we feed, that won't let us touch it. He will let us know if we forget to put food out - loudly. It plays with our critters,but won't take the hint that we are okay. Ed always leaves one of the cellar vents open- it is under the covered porch. Any stray is welcome to wander in and cool off/dry off/ warm up.... and we get mousers!

Garlicluvr December 10th, 2010 07:42 AM

I have taken in quite a few strays both cat and dog over the years and fed many others. They often turn out to be the best pets and mousers. I kinda like mutts and mixes often better than the purebreds.

I guess the same can be true of people, the mutts and mixes are often better, kinder people than the purebreds.

Jeff:)

axhandle December 10th, 2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 671677)
Enjoy your Trans Siberian!

Thanks for solving my puzzle, Ajla.:)

Yes the Orchestra is tomorrow afternoon, and on reading Greg Hildebrandt does some of their art work--he and his brother are some of my favorites.

Stay warm, it's going to be around 40F come tomorrow afternoon, and I have my wool scarf for the walk to the concert hall---:)

Thanks again--Ax.

axhandle December 10th, 2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 671684)
That is so sweet, Ax. If people have gone to that much trouble, the cat may be feral and not let you get close to it. We have one that we feed, that won't let us touch it. He will let us know if we forget to put food out - loudly. It plays with our critters,but won't take the hint that we are okay. Ed always leaves one of the cellar vents open- it is under the covered porch. Any stray is welcome to wander in and cool off/dry off/ warm up.... and we get mousers!

Someone even took a pet transport cage and sealed it off with duct tape to keep the weather out--going to swing by there on the way downtown.

Garlicluvr December 13th, 2010 07:37 AM

Morning Ax: you are colder than me this morning, but dont worry our temp is supposed to drop again after tomorrow. May actually get a white Christmas this year.

Is that woodstove stoked up yet? Cherry Yule Log?

I hope you enjoyed the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Have a good one Ax.

axhandle December 13th, 2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 673275)
Morning Ax: you are colder than me this morning, but dont worry our temp is supposed to drop again after tomorrow. May actually get a white Christmas this year.

Is that woodstove stoked up yet? Cherry Yule Log?

I hope you enjoyed the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Have a good one Ax.

Supposed to be in the Teens here till Thursday, then jump to mid '50's .Snowdrifts about all day off and on.The NE portion of state may get1-2 inches.

Got the log ready, family will be here off and on Christmas week then Christmas eve and day, the log.Meanwhile, burning some oak and a few pieces of cherry.

I would really like to have a Jodl(Norway), soapstone, they are supposed to be premier.

Have something I need some advice on, will get a pic today, downstairs in the furnace room there is a big wood burner, never used it but people before us installed it so it could heat the whole house, pipe in to ductwork.
Never seen one like it.

Watch out for Black Ice, and be careful--

P.S. Trans -Siberian--Outstanding!!!!

Ax

chickweed December 13th, 2010 08:01 AM

Good morning, Ax! Did you enjoy the concert as much as you thought you would? Here is a picture one of my friends took from Yorktown, looking towards Gloucester Point. I think it is a really cool shot of what living on the York River is like! The brick building on the the right is part of The Virginia Institute of Marine Science.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...emanleslie.jpg

axhandle December 13th, 2010 08:16 AM

Neat--O--got to find my pics of Yorktown--unique swinging bridge there, the 5'' gun on the foredeck is a real wicked piece of machinery, and I love Marine Labs.

Concert--Oh, Absolutely, You Bet!--more than I expected--the musicians are some of the best I've seen and heard.
Laser lights, fireworks, male and female vocalists-, backdrops-and the theme--well Greg Hidebrandt does their illustrations-- one of my favorites.;)

Evening, well spent--3hr concert, and they more than give one their moneys worth.

P.S. and more than one tribute to Troops--they also donated to the Childrens Hospital here in town.

Hope weather there stays tolerable for you and DH--I know his flightime will be limited, and Kitty Cat over by the bank is doing well---

Garlicluvr December 13th, 2010 09:29 AM

Nice Picture Chick: I remember manning the rails.

axhandle December 13th, 2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 673284)
Good morning, Ax! Did you enjoy the concert as much as you thought you would? Here is a picture one of my friends took from Yorktown, looking towards Gloucester Point. I think it is a really cool shot of what living on the York River is like! The brick building on the the right is part of The Virginia Institute of Marine Science.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...emanleslie.jpg

P.S., Chick the booms reminded me of the one's at the concert the other night.

Jeff, I know you have seen the mock up of a British Warship over at Yorktown--amazing how small in statute the people of the day, and the Marines had to be a minimum of 5' 8".

Read the ships log, Constitution, over at Boston--one of the Marines was incorrigible, about every week, logged in "Pvt.----- 9 lashes,fighting"
"10 lashes, insubordination"--on and on--wonder they didn't Keel Haul him, maybe they did--;):)