IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle December 4th, 2010 02:16 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER

I think the two(Siberian/Orient) would stitch together rather well.
As I gather the Trans Siberian is rather spartan in accomodations, a cross section of people and cultures--sort of an arduous , interesting, long, journey.

After such, board the Orient for pure opulance----what better a cross section of life, and experiences of a lifetime.

About a month away should do it--:)

axhandle December 4th, 2010 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big Boyz Toyz again, didn't buy but found a 1957 Lambretta Scooter yesterday, been in storage, origional condition--needs minor res-to.Runs, stops.
Asking price too much--but will haggle.

Attached pic is a '58 model restored.

Neato--down to the market or groceries---

Pepper December 5th, 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 667489)
Ax: The 41 mag felt pretty much the same as a 44 mag couldn't really tell the difference, both loud as hades and both have a pretty sharp recoil even in a large frame revolver. Both were ruger blackhawks. A heck of a lot more umph! than a 9mm. Were you possibly thinking of the 40 S&W which is primarily and auto round? Haven't fired one but from what I have heard about the same as a 9mm.

The 41 Mag is a rimmed revolver cartridge like the 44 Mag and 357 Mag. They jump a bit so not the quickest to get back on target. Wont do any rapid fire with them thats for sure.

The most enjoyable was the tweaked out Model 1911 .45 he had. Even with somewhat hot hand loads very pleasant to fire and super accurate.

Jeff:)

A 10 mm is a 40 cal and on the same power level as 41 mag which is a revolver round devel did make a 41 auto (devel)great gun expensive (also made the 45 )a company made a long slide 9mm mag and a 45 mag (grizzly)was made for 1 year (didnt catch on )the different in a 44 mag and a 41 mag is pretty big in terms of power I have all the blackhawk pistol cal includeing the 357 / 9mm convertable also the 32 Hr mag whichs also will shoot 4 or five other 32 cals (if you can find them) a 9 mm is a good cartridge not a great one it gets better if you load a heavy hollow point for home protection or use a glazer round , the 357 (110 grain or 125 )is one of the best self defense rounds ever a 45 is very good also if you can control the roll , I personally use a 10 mm colt delta elite 170 grain make the do bad DRT . lol A wilson 45 apc is about the best you can carry . or a sig 229 40 cal is very good also .rambling sorry .

Garlicluvr December 6th, 2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 668685)
A 10 mm is a 40 cal and on the same power level as 41 mag which is a revolver round devel did make a 41 auto (devel)great gun expensive (also made the 45 )a company made a long slide 9mm mag and a 45 mag (grizzly)was made for 1 year (didnt catch on )the different in a 44 mag and a 41 mag is pretty big in terms of power I have all the blackhawk pistol cal includeing the 357 / 9mm convertable also the 32 Hr mag whichs also will shoot 4 or five other 32 cals (if you can find them) a 9 mm is a good cartridge not a great one it gets better if you load a heavy hollow point for home protection or use a glazer round , the 357 (110 grain or 125 )is one of the best self defense rounds ever a 45 is very good also if you can control the roll , I personally use a 10 mm colt delta elite 170 grain make the do bad DRT . lol A wilson 45 apc is about the best you can carry . or a sig 229 40 cal is very good also .rambling sorry .

Pepper: I have heard the 10mm are nice cant get them here anymore although they were the rage 10 years ago or so. Gun store guy said they took them off the market because the FBI now uses them as their main service sidearm and took them off the market for the general public. Doesnt really make sense to me to pull a cartridge/caliber off the market.

I know the 44 mag has quite a bit more energy than the 41 mag but as far as shooting it I couldnt really tell much if any difference in recoil and general handling between the two.

I have always liked 357's and the 45's for a handgun for home defense etc. I also like a nice 12 gauge with buckshot either one of the side by side stagecoach guns or a 870 pump.

Pepper December 6th, 2010 07:53 AM

The 10 mm now isnt what it was 15 years ago it was down powered after the fbi agents said they couldnt control recoil so they went to the 40 cal , ( a 10mm short sort of down powered )they went to the 10mm after 2 or 3 agents were killed or wounded after shooting a do bad I believe 6 times with a 9mm ( it was in miame Fl) glock , IE witness , colte and 1 more cant remember the other one still offers the 10 mm. best performce is when it is brought up to industries loads (the original loads )by hand loading, opps rambling again :D

axhandle December 6th, 2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper (Post 668685)

Ramble on, Pep--:)---you have some "Pearls" here.---Ax.

axhandle December 6th, 2010 08:16 AM

Mornin, Jeff---

axhandle December 6th, 2010 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"The Ugly Duckling"--and I chuckle,-and a wink--
1.Best steel produced in 1953, Skoda.
2.Detail of "Rollerblock" mechanism.

A Tip, look at the top of the slide, there appears ding or punchmarks- #1 is the best and graded on down--this one is a #2.

Even the #4's can group 2 inches at 25 yds.

"Todays Bit of Useless Knowledge"---;)

Garlicluvr December 6th, 2010 12:48 PM

Morning Ax: The Swedes made the best steel for years the secret was the charcoal fired furnaces. Carbon from the charcoal leaches into the steel creating a superior steel.

Cant get the Swedish charcoal steel anymore except in small quantities the same with the charcoal iron (wrought iron) great stuff for architectual and ornamental work. Wrought iron does not oxidize or rust like steel does, therefore it last much longer especially in coastal areas where salt air does a number on steel. The outside of the wrought iron will oxidize some then it stops. Charleston South Carolina has some beautiful wrought iron work and it has held up well over the years.

Wrought iron is the preferred material for any outdoor ironwork, or anything besides tools. Just cant get it except for scrap from old bridges, structures as it hasnt been produced in this country since about the 1920's. Still one place at least in England that produces wrought but prices and shipping are prohibitive.

I have been trying to find someone with some to sell, every time I see one of the old wrought iron ships anchors that many coastal town shops and such have for decoration I stop and see if they want to sell it. So far no luck. Many of these early anchors and the chain were wrought iron again the resist corrosion much better than steel.

Ax: My woodstove burned pretty steady all weekend, smell of cherry in the crisp air was nice. I would love to have one of the russian or swedish stoves. Thats all I need though another project to add to the already lengthy list.

Garlicluvr December 6th, 2010 12:50 PM

Also Ax: if you have never looked up the process of making Damascus or woot steel do so it is fascinating. Evidently it was a closely guarded secret up until the early 1900's.