IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

Autumn December 1st, 2010 04:26 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665793)
They are the origionals, thick and the old silver cyanide process--only two little specks.
We hardly ever splurge on things, but we both had to have this one.
Hope you are well--and thanks for post---Ax.

I could tell by looking at them they were original, lucky find Ax. Plus, you and missus had the joy in finding it. Nice to know when to splurge...was just reading the post by Herb asking for prayers, Herb is in my prayers as are your son and his family. All is well here, still cutting back but things are good. Kids all have their jobs and are working hard to hang onto them. No time to whine or complain, better to shine at what you do. A good time for families to pitch in and help each other. Stay well and continue those fantastic finds.:)

skiracer December 1st, 2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665797)
Sharp eye, and thanks ,Ski I posted the wrong pic--it lacks 1 lock,(already located one) an escutcheon and a key--otherwise all there.

Double thanks for price and finish info,--I came in 'in the Black' on this one--:)

Lisa and i are antique hounds. you got yourself a primo piece. first time i have seen one like this with the two oval mirrors at the top. If you have a problem locating a key or an estecheon or a handle pull put a pic of the piece you need and I just might have one lying around in my box of stuff or might run into the one you need. ive got a load of that old hardware. and no charge and no problemo if i have it in the box. we are always going to estate and garage sales and flea markets so i see and come across alot of the old hardware.

Garlicluvr December 1st, 2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665794)
I got stuck on Behr's Swedish Tung oil finish, my favorite--and for those things away from water--Orange Shellac--

I am a fan of tung oil too and also of a shellac and wax finish. I do three to four thin coats of shellac buffing between each one then topcoat with finishing wax and buff to a nice deep luster. Gives the finish a nice depth and if it dulls a bit with time just buff apply another thin coat of finishing wax and buff out.

Again that desk is a beauty Ax, and unique with the oval mirrors.

Jeff:)

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 665842)
I could tell by looking at them they were original, lucky find Ax. Plus, you and missus had the joy in finding it. Nice to know when to splurge...was just reading the post by Herb asking for prayers, Herb is in my prayers as are your son and his family. All is well here, still cutting back but things are good. Kids all have their jobs and are working hard to hang onto them. No time to whine or complain, better to shine at what you do. A good time for families to pitch in and help each other. Stay well and continue those fantastic finds.:)

You sum to have a very strong constitution, Autumn, am glad things are at least going uphill for you.
I think of you often, and reflect back on a post or two---"Get out in the Rain, on a dusty road and smell the earth, it washes one's soul clean"--Ax.

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665860)
Lisa and i are antique hounds. you got yourself a primo piece. first time i have seen one like this with the two oval mirrors at the top. If you have a problem locating a key or an estecheon or a handle pull put a pic of the piece you need and I just might have one lying around in my box of stuff or might run into the one you need. ive got a load of that old hardware. and no charge and no problemo if i have it in the box. we are always going to estate and garage sales and flea markets so i see and come across alot of the old hardware.

Indebted to you--attached pics ---when you have time to look.

The lock for the desk, as I found on a supplier was called Desk Lock--guess? they were standard as the measurements were , as I extrapolated a fit.
The Pen Box (attached pic) knob is not glued nor screwed in, the whole thing was turned on a lathe.!

There is a place about 5 miles from me, a concrete bldg,about 2000 sq ft. went in a couple of times, the old fellow has since died and the bldg is still there with contents.
Ski, you wouldn't believe what is there, merchantile from ages still in the box, brass, bronze, iron you name it--stacked to the ceiling and little paths throughout---not new stuff either talking vintage and antique, stacked to the ceiling.

Have been trying to locate owners, and reasonably surmise it's tied up in a will or ??Bldg is maintained, and locked up.

Heck I'd move in, throw a bunk and hot plate in and live there--

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 665936)
I am a fan of tung oil too and also of a shellac and wax finish. I do three to four thin coats of shellac buffing between each one then topcoat with finishing wax and buff to a nice deep luster. Gives the finish a nice depth and if it dulls a bit with time just buff apply another thin coat of finishing wax and buff out.

Again that desk is a beauty Ax, and unique with the oval mirrors.

Jeff,
Sorry it took me a while to post this--for you and Little One--excuse the roughage of the diagram.I will post measurements of mine a bit later--it is a youth bow simple construction and a good teacher for younger ages.

P.S. A pic you will appreciate--detail of lock, all mortised in.

Pick up some Hide Glue--the old reliable--amazing stuff.

Be darned--post bow diagram later--really miffed at microsoft-pic- software , it can lose things in a heartbeat-

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go--

Garlicluvr December 2nd, 2010 08:01 AM

Thanks for the bow info Ax. I may be able to repurpose the cherry lamination I broke and make a shorter kids bow out of what is left.

I like the mortised in locks. I am a big fan of traditional joinery, Mortise and tenon, dovetail, dado, and rabbets along with some glue and/or pegs/pins where needed. I love timber framing joints, my dream is to build a timber frame house, and maybe barn also.

As a practice project I want to do a timberframed swing-set/playground for the boys.

Used to have an adz somewhere but it may have been lost in one of my moves or divorce. I also had a functional broad axe, I still have a good broad axe head just needs a handle and sharpening. Also have a nice big slick 3 1/2" wide blade and several good large timber framing chisels.

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 666161)
Thanks for the bow info Ax. I may be able to repurpose the cherry lamination I broke and make a shorter kids bow out of what is left.

I like the mortised in locks. I am a big fan of traditional joinery, Mortise and tenon, dovetail, dado, and rabbets along with some glue and/or pegs/pins where needed. I love timber framing joints, my dream is to build a timber frame house, and maybe barn also.

As a practice project I want to do a timberframed swing-set/playground for the boys.

Used to have an adz somewhere but it may have been lost in one of my moves or divorce. I also had a functional broad axe, I still have a good broad axe head just needs a handle and sharpening. Also have a nice big slick 3 1/2" wide blade and several good large timber framing chisels.

Cherry splits along the grain, brittle for combat, good for ornamental.

I have my G'Dads "Track Adze"--used for laying down rairoad ties--Adze on one end and a hammer on the other to drive spikes in--Love the Broadax.

A note , in passing--structures--Locust pegs-square--in a round hole of the structure-pounded in by a hickory mallet---never worry about 70 mile an hour winds again--

If, by chance soak some seasond hickory staves in kerosene, for the winter--next summer-a pleasant surprise--

axhandle December 2nd, 2010 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Wo, ist Ajla?!!"--
Rather a fine Frosty 'Morn here in Dixie"---"I thought we might go out for a stroll, by the market,haggle a bit, in the fortnight of Icey Winter-- purchase some wares, and return to a cozy Kitchen, a Board Game --Perhaps--;) and a "Good Sleep"--after all---;)--we earned it---Ax.

Caravaggio--"The Cardsharps"