IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle November 29th, 2010 09:13 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 664201)
I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two pics, they both look so good!
While here it is seriously starting to look like winter! Rosy cheeks and all! ;)

My neighbors cat looks just like it , only about 5 lbs heavier--it visits us.

I envy you Ajla, it never freezes the ponds or rivers here--never enough to support weight.
I would dearly love to be able to take one of those Ice Sailboats out--a Thermos of Glogg, cheese and bread--silk scarf blowing in the wake---"Hang on Today We cross the Zeider Zee";):D----what an Outing!!!

Stay warm, almost time to burn some Myrrh--;)

Garlicluvr November 29th, 2010 09:15 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664156)
"Get the Blue Wrench out, it'll come off of there"

OA for cutting only, have a small MIG/Tig and an old stick welder.
I really like the Mig--
SIL is a machinist and can do just about anything, he's more familiar than I with same, they have to (attempt) to repair some of the electric motors from China (1000 Hp and up)--he says it's almost impossible to get a weld to stick--metallurgy is junk coming from there.
They chopper them out to Navy vessals to do onboard repairs periodically.

Venerable AK--yes I've shot a few;):)--have a .45 but the smoothest I shot was Doc friends Colt Gold Cup--a far cry from Mil issue (pre-Beretta).

Sounds like your friend has a Chicago Piano--the tommy,--friend of mine had a PPSh--darn thing sounded like a hornets nest ripping a pair of blue jeans apart when he touched it off--typical Bloc design--tough, reliable, high rate of fire and cheap to make--it's wicked.

Glad you had a bit of a Walkabout at T'giving does one good--Ax.

Ax: The .45 was sweet BIL has his own machine shop and does some custom ones all based on Model 911 but tweaked and peaked for max smoothness and accuracy. 45's are his favorite so he has quite a few probable a half dozen or more at any given time. The one we shot was his goto target competition gun and very accurate. We were shooting metallic turkey silouhettes at 50 yards and using a post to steady myself a bit I was able to pick off four with five shots and I havent shot a handgun in years.

Finally lit off the woodstove had a couple of fires over the weekend. Love the smell of woodsmoke especially cherry.

This morning had a hard frost with thick fog. The chill in the air and the smell of leaves and earth were very pleasant.

Jeff:)

axhandle November 29th, 2010 10:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I still have a .45--;)

When the Low Fog sets in here, everyone wants to know when I will burn Christmas Cherry, along with some aromatic Pine--

Garlicluvr November 29th, 2010 11:31 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664257)
I still have a .45--;)

When the Low Fog sets in here, everyone wants to know when I will burn Christmas Cherry, along with some aromatic Pine--

The pine does smell nice too. I have tons of eastern red cedar on the place so always have some cut up branches for starting fires, cedar smell is heavenly.


Jeff:)

axhandle November 29th, 2010 11:40 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
"As I lit my candle to climb the damp, stone stairs to the North Tower, an answer to my dear Friends letter of , last, and on my mind: my Hearth Mouse came out"

"And what is the Fare of the Eve?--, my Friends have brought in Chestnuts, wood for the fire, and cheese and bread, !"

"I wish you the Eve, my Friend, but do not throw ones self about too much, and save some wood for the Morning Lark"

axhandle November 29th, 2010 11:42 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 664283)
The pine does smell nice too. I have tons of eastern red cedar on the place so always have some cut up branches for starting fires, cedar smell is heavenly.


Jeff:)

You got red cedar, and worried about bows, and comfort--;)

Garlicluvr November 29th, 2010 11:54 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664291)
You got red cedar, and worried about bows, and comfort--;)

Ax: Was wondering about cedar bows. Red cedar is easy to work and somewhat flexible but also a bit brittle. Have you ever tried it on bows?

One whole side of my property is lined with red cedar, plus some in the woods. I harvested a half dozen this spring for fence posts.


Jeff:)

axhandle November 29th, 2010 12:02 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 664303)
Ax: Was wondering about cedar bows. Red cedar is easy to work and somewhat flexible but also a bit brittle. Have you ever tried it on bows?

One whole side of my property is lined with red cedar, plus some in the woods. I harvested a half dozen this spring for fence posts.


Jeff:)

Extremely good for keeping bugs 'Abay, vermin and Light 'fer 'Tha Carry--aromatic and floats when all else fails--

Ajla November 30th, 2010 08:58 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664223)
My neighbors cat looks just like it , only about 5 lbs heavier--it visits us.

I envy you Ajla, it never freezes the ponds or rivers here--never enough to support weight.
I would dearly love to be able to take one of those Ice Sailboats out--a Thermos of Glogg, cheese and bread--silk scarf blowing in the wake---"Hang on Today We cross the Zeider Zee";):D----what an Outing!!!

Stay warm, almost time to burn some Myrrh--;)

The last time the river froze was in the sixties, and for the last 18 years it wasn't cold enough to skate on the lakes, so a whole generation missed out on the fun!
But, who knows, it's cold early this year! :) Global warming?

axhandle November 30th, 2010 10:39 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 664892)
The last time the river froze was in the sixties, and for the last 18 years it wasn't cold enough to skate on the lakes, so a whole generation missed out on the fun!
But, who knows, it's cold early this year! :) Global warming?

Ajla, I remember in that time, early'60's very unusual here,--I have some buried pics, of me on a Pond,--and I agree--the generation missed out on so many memories--the Honed Skates- good for miles , and a happy return-much fun and reverlry-wholsome-"To get back to Baba's Frische's Brot, maybe some good vegetable soup, and good butter, and warmth of a well maintained and cordial kitchen--Oh Well, I am Drifting Off--;):)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.