IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Liberty7 March 18th, 2009 12:34 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I'm doing NOTHING with snow/melting snow/mud in my garden area right now! Will 'start' seeds mid April and plant AFTER Memorial Day in my Zone 4.

hikingonthru March 18th, 2009 11:10 AM

Transplanted leggy broccoli sets to large cups. Saw that my herb seeds are starting to grow...and PTL...I got 5 out of 6 stevia seeds to start just by laying them on top of a damp peat pellet!

Now if I can just keep them alive!

steady March 18th, 2009 01:14 PM

yea i got my drip irrigation working. im happy bout that!

fulenn March 18th, 2009 04:18 PM

I got in from planting a few minutes ago. More tomatoes, peppers, marigolds, indian paintbrushes, and basil seeds. Mmmmmm! The seeds even smell good! I do know that I'm not supposed to be planting in the middle of the day, but I was over in a nearby town this morning and couldn't do it then.

Fulenn

fulenn March 18th, 2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 243522)
yea i got my drip irrigation working. im happy bout that!

I bet that feels great! I purchased one of those drip irrigation kits 2 years ago, but still have not set it up to use it. It looked a lot more involved than I thought it would be when I got it. I'm still setting out watering cans of water near my garden for emergencies and hand watering before work in the mornings.

Fulenn

lalbers March 18th, 2009 04:40 PM

Was gonna go and get manure this week to put on the garden, slipped on the ice on the steps, and cracked my illial crest in my hip. OWWWW. So now I'm crippling around, needing help to get dressed. hubby set up a makeshift hot house for me, I'm experimenting with it- soaking peat pots, and gonna start a few tomatoes and peppers. At least I got some peat under my fingernails! damm hip... Maybe I can get the kid to shovel a truckload for me this weekend if I feed him well!!

hikingonthru March 18th, 2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 243617)
Was gonna go and get manure this week to put on the garden, slipped on the ice on the steps, and cracked my illial crest in my hip.

:eek::eek::eek:
That sounds like it would hurt worse than stumping your toe on a stob.

lalbers March 18th, 2009 06:01 PM

yeah, and the pain lasts alot longer. been 4 days now, and I still need help getting dressed and can't bend at all, can't turn in bed at night...... but, get this- hubby is one of those people that saves everyting- he ordered some snowmobile part s this winter, and it came in a 3x3 styrofoam box with lots of cutouts for whatever parts. Of course, he saved the box, brought it in to me today, said,honey this is your new hot house to start seeds in, cuz he knows I'm going bonkers. being laid up. Brought in a small grow light, an old piece if plexiglass to cover it, set a glass of water in it for humidity, and I'm in as much hog heaven as i can get with being hurt and not being able to shovel manure (you might be a garden addict if.....) Been happily starting 6 different tomatoes, and peppers. Talk about cheap hot houses! Hey, whatever works

MrJT March 18th, 2009 07:04 PM

Just got finished sowing beets and lettuce; and planting some lettuce, onions, and broccoli.

I thought our 128 square feet of raised beds looked pretty small until I started planting in those little squares. We are going to have to give away a bit of veggies if everything grows OK.

steady March 18th, 2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fulenn (Post 243607)
I bet that feels great! I purchased one of those drip irrigation kits 2 years ago, but still have not set it up to use it. It looked a lot more involved than I thought it would be when I got it. I'm still setting out watering cans of water near my garden for emergencies and hand watering before work in the mornings.

Fulenn

does feel good that one is for the tomaos ive got anoter one bout half done for the onions , egg plant pepper area

fulenn March 18th, 2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 243633)
yeah, and the pain lasts alot longer. been 4 days now, and I still need help getting dressed and can't bend at all, can't turn in bed at night...... but, get this- hubby is one of those people that saves everyting- he ordered some snowmobile part s this winter, and it came in a 3x3 styrofoam box with lots of cutouts for whatever parts. Of course, he saved the box, brought it in to me today, said,honey this is your new hot house to start seeds in, cuz he knows I'm going bonkers. being laid up. Brought in a small grow light, an old piece if plexiglass to cover it, set a glass of water in it for humidity, and I'm in as much hog heaven as i can get with being hurt and not being able to shovel manure (you might be a garden addict if.....) Been happily starting 6 different tomatoes, and peppers. Talk about cheap hot houses! Hey, whatever works

Your hubby sounds like one great guy!

Cookinmom March 18th, 2009 09:35 PM

The seedlings are going through hardening off now. I pulled some weeds today. Couldn't wait any longer. Planted a hill (just one) of yellow squash (I may regret doing it already, but it's only a few seeds). And a few little spots of lavender, since I couldn't get it to sprout in the house. Mostly, I'm just having a fit keeping myself from going out and planting every available space. We still have a couple chilly weekends coming up, though.

SEEDSNATCHER March 18th, 2009 09:52 PM

TO LALBERS, KUDOS TO YOUR HUBBY!! HOPE YOUR RECOVERY IS SPEEDY!!:)
****I'VE BEEN OUT SHOVELING OFF MY GARDEN AND LAYING OUT BLACK PLASTIC HOPING TO SPEED THE PROCESS ALONG!!
****THANKFULLY I FINALLY FOUND GREEN TODAY, STILL FROZEN OF COURSE!! BUT I KNOW IT WONT BE LONG NOW!! :p
****AND TO ALL WHO ARE PULLING OUT DEAD WEEDS AND STUFF I ACTUALLY ENVY YOU RIGHT NOW!!:D

Locavore March 19th, 2009 03:19 PM

Got the first tomato seedling in the ground today!!!!:D:)

This first batch of a dozen plants--planted early February--has been growing beautifully in the greenhouse, and are averaging 8"-12" tall now. I've been hardening them off all week, and this morning put the first one in the ground! I sunk it in up to it's bottom leaves to give it good root structure, and it seems happy.

Sadly, I only have room for 2 tomato plants at a time in the ground, and will be trying two in hanging buckets as well, so the rest of the babies will be given to neighbors. I like to keep the neighborhood stocked with good heirlooms :D

We also cleared two sites for growing Loofah gourds! So excited about that.

M

FarmerCathy March 19th, 2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locavore (Post 244132)
We also cleared two sites for growing Loofah gourds! So excited about that.

M

You'll love the luffah gourds, but be ready for the vines to take over your yard by the end of summer.:eek:

Locavore March 19th, 2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy (Post 244163)
You'll love the luffah gourds, but be ready for the vines to take over your yard by the end of summer.:eek:

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that:rolleyes::eek: We spent a good deal of time this week considering sites where they could get big, but we're just not endowed with much sprawling space.

So, we're going to try planting them at the base of a tree and train them up into the tree branches, and then another site where it can climb a fense--even then we'll have to keep it cropped most likely.

Wish us luck!
:)

Dramaqueen March 19th, 2009 05:09 PM

I need to get this started tomorrow and I would like some help with my question on this topic please:o

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14287

FarmerCathy March 19th, 2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locavore (Post 244167)
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that:rolleyes::eek: We spent a good deal of time this week considering sites where they could get big, but we're just not endowed with much sprawling space.

So, we're going to try planting them at the base of a tree and train them up into the tree branches, and then another site where it can climb a fense--even then we'll have to keep it cropped most likely.

Wish us luck!
:)

That's a great idea! That would be fun to climb the tree to find the loofah's. :D

Cookinmom March 19th, 2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEEDSNATCHER (Post 243741)
TO LALBERS, KUDOS TO YOUR HUBBY!! HOPE YOUR RECOVERY IS SPEEDY!!:)
****I'VE BEEN OUT SHOVELING OFF MY GARDEN AND LAYING OUT BLACK PLASTIC HOPING TO SPEED THE PROCESS ALONG!!
****THANKFULLY I FINALLY FOUND GREEN TODAY, STILL FROZEN OF COURSE!! BUT I KNOW IT WONT BE LONG NOW!! :p
****AND TO ALL WHO ARE PULLING OUT DEAD WEEDS AND STUFF I ACTUALLY ENVY YOU RIGHT NOW!!:D

My weeds are very much alive. I think dollar weeds are indestructible! :D

hikingonthru March 21st, 2009 03:00 PM

weedeated and cut the grass today...cleaned out around the beds. Saw lotsa little things that were green popping up in my beds. Wondered what it was...that small, could be near anything.
Pulled one little microsprout...ARUGULA...no doubt about its taste! Soon!!!!

bughunter99 March 21st, 2009 11:02 PM

1. Talked the munckins into picking up the bazillion sticks littering the yard and burned them along with a bunch of old garden rubbish.
2. Picked up some free old horse poop and dug it into one of the beds along with some worm poop and leaf mold.
3. Took a risk and planted one of the broccoli's in the garden just to see what would happen.
4. Started hardening of the chard and lettuces and moved the peppers into the cold frame for day visits now.
5. Had the first CSA workday. We cleared the field. There were so many of us it took us only 1.5 hours. Great fun. This is looking like it will be worth the money for the social aspects alone, even if we don't harvest a single thing!

It felt great to finally be in the yard again. Sunny and 55. Perfect for spring clean up!

steady March 22nd, 2009 03:36 AM

planted my first ever fruit tree, a dwarf peach.

fulenn March 22nd, 2009 01:50 PM

Got my muskmelons into the ground. Then I just walked around and looked at my plants. Some of the tomatoes already have yellow blossoms! It just doesn't seem real. Basil went out yesterday, 4 different kinds, thyme got eaten by the birds, so more thyme went out (protected this time.) I've been picking the few weeds out of the garden that I didn't get to put mulch over--I ran out of motivation.:D The rest kept the weeds out nicely. I've been mulching around new plants one square bed at a time. Still have a few to go.

Fulenn

hikingonthru March 22nd, 2009 04:18 PM

Looking at all that bermuda grass between my raised beds and then looking at the roundup...look at the bermuda grass ... look at the roundup...

What to do...what to do???

Cookinmom March 22nd, 2009 09:27 PM

Planting! Put in some of the tomatoes & bell peppers on Saturday. Also a couple of eggplant and some herbs. Planted a few squares of pole beans and dixie speckled butterpeas.

blackberrygrl March 22nd, 2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bughunter99 (Post 245370)
1. Talked the munckins into picking up the bazillion sticks littering the yard and burned them along with a bunch of old garden rubbish.
2. Picked up some free old horse poop and dug it into one of the beds along with some worm poop and leaf mold.
3. Took a risk and planted one of the broccoli's in the garden just to see what would happen.
4. Started hardening of the chard and lettuces and moved the peppers into the cold frame for day visits now.
5. Had the first CSA workday. We cleared the field. There were so many of us it took us only 1.5 hours. Great fun. This is looking like it will be worth the money for the social aspects alone, even if we don't harvest a single thing!

It felt great to finally be in the yard again. Sunny and 55. Perfect for spring clean up!

I'm dying to move my broccoli and brussels out. Let me know how that one takes.

This weekend I transported a truckload of two-year old horse manure (the manure, not the horse :D) to the garden and tilled it in. I started my tomato and basil seeds indoors, planted a few dill seeds outdoors in a container.

FarmerCathy March 23rd, 2009 01:49 PM

I planted two 80' rows on Sat. of lettuce, broccoli, swiss chard, arugula, beets, carrots, onion, etc. My legs are sore from squatting and planting. Looking good so far though. :D Oh, and I transplanted tomato seedlings yesterday. 6 varieties so far. But something has eaten the head off several. I can't fiqure out what it is, maybe an earwig? It's in the trays because I moved them off the lowest shelf and more were eaten while I was asleep. :mad: I need to go get some DE to kill it. So maddening!

whodat March 23rd, 2009 09:16 PM

I cut a few cabbages from the garden today. They have pretty good flavor! I need to get the rest of them pretty quickly, I think. I was cleaning up the outside leaves and decaying vegetation, but decided that it must be time to harvest them instead. I can certainly use the space for something else, anyway. I've only tried growing cabbage once before, and they didn't do so well. These have done much better!

Patio Princess March 23rd, 2009 09:25 PM

Still "fencing". Saturday, I painted most of the posts white, then decided to paint the ulgy old wooden mailbox post, and install (a much-needed) new mailbox (also white). Then, I spent a few hours raking up, and bagging leaves in preparation for laying pavers inside the fence area near the shed (we can't grow grass there). Saturday will be the real first fence day--installing the panels.

I bought some yellow Johnny-Jump Ups to plant around the mailbox post. Decided to hold off until tomorrow--it's going down to 20F here tonight, but will warm up a lot tommorrow.

I bought some leaf lettuce and red cabbage plants, and a hanging basket of strawberries (mostly because it was so lovely, and had the white flowers and berries on it). I can't really plant anything yet--it's still too cold, esp. at night. I had to bring the 3 raspberry bushes and the blackberry bush, lettuce and strawberries in tonight. I also have 4 rose bushes doing very well in the garage!

I should get my tomato seeds started, but DH had been away for 4 days, and I couldn't install the grow-light by myself.

I know I probably shouldn't have bought all the above yet--but I am dying for Spring now, and need to garden. I'm going nuts here...

sharon1957 March 24th, 2009 08:34 AM

Been a few days since I posted here; since then we've lucked into a pickup bed full of evergreen groundcover that a school was digging out; DH spent most of Saturday and Sunday cutting it down to size, dipping the ends in rooting compound and planting the bed in front of the house with it. While he was doing that, I dug most of the first path (58 x 4 feet) up and onto the first bed, which is now two-three feet of topsoil amended with cottonseed meal as recommended by the soil test from the Extension office. Together we tackled inoculating stumps and logs with shitake spawn plugs. Still need to inoculate for oyster and reishi, but out of wood the right age.
Mulched the cherry bushes we planted last week. Watered everything in the ground. Dug out some daffodils the previous owner left scattered randomly around every yard. Going to do more of that soon. Composting the dark ones and saving the ones we like better. Dug up and potted some plants we want to keep but not where they are. Bought several herb plants at the health food store. Planted 72 cells of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, watermelons, winter squash, stevia (already up), tomatillo, ground cherries, and huckleberries. They are on my desk here, by the south window that looks out onto the garden site. Bought more seeds for groundcovers to plant on the sloping sides of the beds.
Rearranged the trash wood for a burn pile away from the garden and the trees, as soon as we get rain and the wind lays down. (We got our first real rain of the year last night -- 1 2/10 inches so far and it just started again!)
Found a source for straw bales so will be going for those as soon as I'm feeling better (I have the whatever it was DH was calling allergies when he had it last week).
Guess that's about it. Sure feel better having seeds in the ground, even if indoors, and having rain falling. And looking forward to lots more mushroom 'planting' soon. We're going to put a morel patch under the big cedar, and garden oysters in the straw mulch that will lay across the cardboard and untilled ground where the melons and squash will sprawl.

Locavore March 24th, 2009 07:05 PM

Planted my first "upside down tomato" in a hanging bucket. We'll see if the gimick works! At the very least, it's saving me a garden plot. Oh, to have more space.....

Began digging in some of the cover crop--fava beans, peas and vetch--to prepare the spaces for the next round.

Hubby says we aren't allowed to work in the garden this weekend--something about spring cleaning and taxes:mad::eek: Ah, shucks......darned taxes......

hikingonthru March 31st, 2009 10:08 PM

Lessee...well, today we repaired the left outer arm on the scarifier...got it ready to start in on new ground.

I set the support lines for my grape trellis and planted three muscadine vines that I had bought last year. They overwintered on the porch and that nice long main vine had died. But 3 of the 4 put out nice little new growth at the base. I lose a year of growth, but these were like $3 apiece.

Gave the seedlings some 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer for a little N-boost.

Trying to get some pics uploaded of my new little muscadine trellis.

HillsideDigger March 31st, 2009 10:12 PM

Today, I direct seeded some cauliflower and broccili (a little late I imagine), prepared 2 more rows for planting tomorrow and noted that my romaine lettuce direct seeded a few days ago has just ever so slightly appeared.

karlkatzke March 31st, 2009 11:53 PM

We're finally getting some rain. Had showers and t-storms three times in the past two weeks! Applied the first round of nitrogen-heavy fertilizer on Sunday, the 5-1-1 fish emulsion instead of the 2-3-1 or the 1-2-1. The cauliflower's looking like it'll bloom soon, the early onions look like they're getting BIG underground, and the tomatoes have taken off. Getting the first blooms on the nursery-bought pepper plants of all types, and on all the tomatoes in the raised beds. Clipped the immature berries on my strawberry plant to promote growth.

Been having major problems with aphids on the broccoli and kohlrabi. I've had to treat NIGHTLY with neem oil/dish soap for the past few nights just to slow 'em down, and I've lost nearly half the last seeding of Kohlrabi. I only had a hand spray bottle... I'm gonna have awesome spraying arms soon at this rate unless I go get a pump sprayer tomorrow! I might just do that. I'm steeping some capsicum powder in hot water right now to extract the oil to add to my pesticide.

swamp man April 2nd, 2009 11:10 PM

It's been raining here....Then the sun comes out...then another frog-strangler....then more sun. This is GREAT for my timber, fruit trees, bushes, and whatnot, but has delayed some of my other gardening somethin' awful. Oy. I thought I might get maters, peppers, eggplant, squash, and zooks in the ground today, but we got hit with another turd-floater, and it's too wet now, dangit.

But, here's some pics of what I got goin' on so far.

Some of the raised beds prepped, and finna' get hammered by yet another rainstorm. Those are snow peas off to the right. I hope to be pickin' them pretty soon.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nick13/aap2.jpg

Muscadines starting to peek out....and a beer can.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/nick13/aap3.jpg

semi-neglected patch of walking onions, and a wee carrot patch in need of thinning.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/nick13/aap5.jpg

We had an exceptionally cold winter, y'all, which kinda' sucked, but berries and brambles just loooooooove a cold winter with lotsa' frost....makes 'em set fruit like a mamma-jamma. I'm expecting a bumper crop of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. This is a close-up of one of my blueberry bushes, and, man, are they ever loadin' up nice this year.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/nick13/aap4.jpg

..and last but not least...my first asparagus shoot! I know it probably ain't normal for a man to be overly excited about asparagus, but I shant deny feeling just a bit tingly inside when I discovered it today. It was hard to track down the crowns (I had to perform a veritable stalking to acquire it), and it took so long to come up, I was worried that it wasn't gonna', but there she is, thrusting upward through the earth, all faloc-like. Hailyeah.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/nick13/aap1.jpg

Oh, and I forgot....I'm havin' my first go 'round with taters this year. Much like the asparagus, they had me all tweakin' cuz they took so long to come up, but quite a few have emerged now. Here's the first one that came up, along with a puppy dawg that oughta' know better than to be messin' around in the tater patch.

Whoops..didn't know there was a five-image limit

chickenclarence April 3rd, 2009 06:17 AM

Planting in the hoop house, starting seeds in flats, and tending, my almost ready to use, ''hot bed"! I am hoping the hb will start cooling down by Saturday so I can move some pepper and tomato seedling out there as well as start more of the same. ~:>

jadek April 3rd, 2009 07:44 AM

Deciding if I should plant out the onion & broccoli seedlings as planned, now that we have 6 inches of snow forecast for Monday....

Planning to start some more Extra-Dwarf Pak Choi in the house this weekend. The first batch only took 4 weeks from planting to harvest, and tasted AWESOME sauteed in sesame oil & soy sauce.

Starting more mesclun blend indoors, too.

Locating where in the veggie bed I planted those six late-to-arrive coneflowers last fall. I think there was something else stuck in beside them, and I can't remember what it was. I plan to write things down this year. And will probably lose that paper.

Laughing at the tulips that are growing quite vigorously - in the bottom of our ditch. I moved about 200 bulbs out from there last year, and it looks like there are at least that many still there. Not sure how they got established in the ditch; maybe a previous owner did it? They look happy, but odd.

TastyofHasty April 3rd, 2009 10:12 AM

Planted 1 apple tree,
1 nectarine tree,
5 various hardy kiwi vines,
1 grapevine
1 goumi

Today, seeds. I think I'll start INSIDE some melons, squash, and loofah.

Quote:

..and last but not least...my first asparagus shoot! I know it probably ain't normal for a man to be overly excited about asparagus, but I shant deny feeling just a bit tingly inside when I discovered it today.
Congratulations, Swamp Man! My first-ever asparagus shoots came up this spring, too! 7 of them. :D

chickenclarence, is your hot bed heated by manure underneath it?

ratdog April 3rd, 2009 05:45 PM

Tilling

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...n/IMGP1714.jpg

TastyofHasty April 3rd, 2009 06:31 PM

That is really getting rid of the lawn, all righty!!

karlkatzke April 3rd, 2009 10:57 PM

Bloomin!

http://garden.katzke.net/wp-content/...om-298x450.jpg

http://garden.katzke.net/wp-content/...ms-298x450.jpg

Even the aloe vera on the front porch is getting with it...

http://garden.katzke.net/wp-content/...et-450x298.jpg

PCKGRat April 4th, 2009 01:06 AM

Picked a contender bean today thinking something was wrong with it because there were purple stripes only to realize that maybe Contender have purple stripes. I ate it... I hope it was safe.

My one blue podded garden pea (or maybe it was yellow snow??) put out a beautiful purple blossom.

I checked on the new potatoes I planted. The older ones are huge.

Yesterday or the day before, I planted beans, cukes, and okra. Today I planted zucchini and squash as well as the remaining cukes. I laid down some chive and dill seed the other day. I threw some popping sorghum out by the zuc. and started setting up teepees for long beans and peas.

I was staring at my little tomato seedlings worried about putting them in the ground. I put a test tomato in the garden (small weak one. I think it got eaten, unless I changed my mind about planting it.

chilesprout April 4th, 2009 01:20 AM

My seedlings are still a bit young to plant out, but I have been exposing them to more and more sun.

tashak April 4th, 2009 09:08 AM

Got about two inches of snow yesterday morning and winds, and today it is low twenties this morning, supposed to be fiftyish. I'm waiting for full light to see if the bolting/flowering greens and the uncovered chives are okay or not.
But the ground later this week may see me planting cool weather stuff--already have the ID markers made and the seed packets sorted out for it.
Some of the fruit trees were leafing out last week, as were the honeysuckle and pecan (second time this year they've attempted it).
I need to find my heating mat so I can do some warm season indoor starts.

TastyofHasty April 4th, 2009 01:17 PM

Planted a small bed of "large leaf tong ho," edible chrysanthemum. Supposed when eaten to make the eater feel "light." Sounds good to me.:)

seedysal April 4th, 2009 04:06 PM

Tilling and waiting.
Our first attempt at growing a veggie garden since we became suburbanites.
I really miss the country.:(

FritzDaKat April 4th, 2009 04:54 PM

Well, got permission to start a composting area for yard waste @ the Church here as well as to replace the wood mulch ground cover with Purslane. Started my leaf pile and prepping to build a low 2,1/2' wall out of a huge pile of antique Brick we've got in the "Dungeon" (I just cant do anything according to "The Norm" for some reason.)

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...48b84c8365.jpg

And still harvesting Pigeon plop from that bell tower to add to the mix.

Planting some Hostas, debating on what sort of vining flowers to use as a cover along a section of fence where the HVAC boxes are on the north side of the building.

And it's rumored that Someone might have a digital camera I can "borrow" to take shots of this stuff.

P.S. There's a few 15'ish Church Pews we're looking to get rid of if anyone's interested. Maybe we could work a trade for Purslane? (Looking for about 20 or 30 starts to get it established around here.)

Cookinmom April 4th, 2009 10:00 PM

Praying for all that water to dry up before my plants succumb and the seeds rot! We got 8 inches in one night this past week. And that was after it had already rained a day and a half!

sharon1957 April 11th, 2009 11:23 AM

Lots of extreme weather here this last month, but the 31 bare-root hedge roses came in last Friday, so we retouched the 5' X 58' bed, and the corner at the far end, then dug the trench (1' wide by 2' deep) and planted them every two feet. I planted okra -- 4 red varieties, in a 1,2,3,4,3,2,1,2,3,4... with a '1 tallest and 4 shortest' pattern, 4 seeds every 1 foot -- behind them, so it will look like a hedge this year, on the street-side of the garden area. Hope to plant lettuce between okra today.
Bought more pinks (DH's favorite) and will plant them today.
Indoor 72-cell mini-greenhouse doing well except eggplant, watermelon, and ground cherries.
Hope to get next bed prepped today so we can build trellis (of crape myrtle) next weekend and plant on it.

American_Gardener April 11th, 2009 10:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, as for what i'm doing for the garden .. i'm just getting started. I already have a couple of kids vandalizing it.. so i'm doing some transplanting of wild roses, stinging nettle and raspberry bushes to the area they're getting in at. They actually are coming thru the raspberries as is.. i'm just transplanting some stinging nettle, mint and wild roses over there. Then i have to get to work on putting an irrigation system into the old garden area that i haven't used in 20 years. It's in too much shade during the summer.. but i figure it might be usefull for something. Anyways.. that's what i'm doing this week.

boizeau April 11th, 2009 10:50 PM

I'm watching the weeds grow. Grapes are just pushing but. We're in a regional cooling trend. It is really cool, not that i like cool.

fhalloran April 12th, 2009 08:05 AM

I just put in rosemary and parsley (in my raised bed) and today I'll run some chicken wire around the bed to keep the rabbits out. I need to thin my pea shoots today or tomorrow, too.

pepperhead212 April 12th, 2009 10:32 AM

Not much! lol Actually, only inside plantings, as I have the greens outside already, and it will be a while before anything else can go out there. But I have only 3 weeks to replace my framework for my upside-down tomatoes, so I will be doing that soon!

Now, I just check the pepper seedlings several times a day to see if any have come up, and transfer them to their pots under the lights.

Ajla April 12th, 2009 10:40 AM

I picked the nettles for soup, I spread the compost, I discovered that I definitely have no space to put all the seedlings, and I've been drooling over the tender greens!

Trisha April 12th, 2009 01:11 PM

Hot dry winds killed my newly planted peppers. Next time I will plant them with milk-jugs over them but I still have more plants so I will try again. I live where prairie once stood, and the grass is next to impossible to keep out of my growing beds. I scraped grass off a couple of feet wide along a fence, covered the bare ground with layers of newspaper, made seed-tape (seeds stuck to newspaper strips using flour-and-water glue) and planted quinoa along the fence. Never did that before. My dog loves to eat grubs and dug up too much of my early veggie crop, so I filled in the holes with tomato plants covered with milk jugs. The beets, carrots and turnips will be harvested before the tomatoes reach any size. I'm eating spinach, best spinach crop I ever grew.

zone4sprout April 12th, 2009 03:02 PM

Three weeks ago: Planted Sugar Ann snap peas, which just came up yesterday!
Two weeks ago: Planted 5 varieties of carrots and Detroit Dark Red beets.
Last week: planted a pear tree, two seedless grapes, two fall raspberries, and a bush cherry.
Yesterday: planted potato onions, Dutch Yellow Moon Shallots, and Stuttgarter onions.
Seedlings now under grow lights include tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and common herbs.
Chives are 6" tall.
Surprise finds: Two 4" yellow onions that overwintered. Delicious!

Billy B April 12th, 2009 05:02 PM

We have planted Onions Patatoes, lettuce, raddish in the veggie garden along the sides of the yard we have planted 4 more rasberries and 4 more Blueberries and in the center of the yard next to the veggie garden we just added 3 more Concord grapes. Tomorrow will be beets.

karlkatzke April 12th, 2009 06:25 PM

Found a large, gallon sized Quinault strawberry at Home Despot today for $8! I was looking for an everfruiting variety to complement the early-bearing Sequoia, which was all I could find last month.

One of my onion bulbs sprouted a flower stalk, so I pulled it from the garden and am having it with dinner tonight. Serves it right.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3540/...29d78eb204.jpg

fhalloran April 12th, 2009 08:58 PM

Update: Today I am stewing my own juices and feeling some aggression toward Lowe's.

I bought wire fencing to keep out the stupid rabbits. My bed is 8x4, and I bought a nice 25' length of wire fencing...you can fill in the rest. Not long enough. Grrr.

So tonight the rabbits will have a lovely entrance to their fenced-in pea shoot supper. Grr, grr, grr!

karlkatzke April 12th, 2009 09:11 PM

Fhalloran, do you have a dog or have a friend with a dog? I've found that the best pest repellent is natural... for some reason "prey animals" like bunny rabbits have a thing against going into a place that smells of dog poo. See if you can borrow a nice "lawn dumpling" and leave it right at the entrance to the "pen" that you built.

chickenclarence April 13th, 2009 06:24 AM

hmmm... stewing my own juices... Stupid rabbits... pea shoots... supper...

Sorry for that ''Mr. McGreggor'' moment... ~:>

Soilchica April 13th, 2009 10:22 AM

I've got 6 Roma, 6 Cherokee Purple, and 1 Husky Red cherry seedlings in the ground, along with 6 sweet red pimento and 3 jalepeno pepper plants. I threw a $0.43 bag of onion sets in the ground and they have shot right up in between 9 Buttercrunch and 8 Red Sails lettuces. My Siberian Kale has freaking taken over, so I gave it a good haircut yesterday, but with all the rain, it'll be back and taller than my tomato plants before the end of the week. Spinach and chard are doing sort of okay, producing, but not near as huge as the kale (probably b/c of the kale). Those two got disturbed about 2 weeks after being seeded, though, so I'm just glad to have any at all. Luckily, that rabbit met his end.

ctutt April 13th, 2009 11:12 AM

Dang! What you're doing should certainly produce very good results. But It's WAAAY too much work and effort for me.

I'm just building my first "real" raised beds. They're 24" high by 4' wide by 24 feet long, constructed of steel re-inforced concrete walls.

I intend to use Dutch White Clover for green mulch AND manure in concert with liberal amounts of compost and hope for a lot of earthworms and I won't worry too much about grubs (I think they're more attracted to grass roots, not sure, but I've had them when I lived in the city and over-fertilized and watered my lawn while trying to out-do my neighbors :-))

Among the many purposes of building my 24" high raised beds is to reduce bending and uncomfortable body positions while improving soil drainage, reducing and/or eliminating vole and mole pests where I live, to some extent, rabbits and mice and with some additional barriors, deer, racoons and o'possums too. I've never experienced a problem with grubs in my vegtable garden and I personally don't consider them to be a particular threat to most vegetables, (at least not in my vegetable garden).

OK, bottom line, fellow gardener, I think you're working too hard, you're too much of a perfectionist, you've possibly read too many books, you believe 'gardening' is a 'science', and it is, to "only some" extent. The rest is personal experience, area, climate, how much "work" you're personally willing to invest. You cannot ever be a 'perfect gardener, person/human-being, Mother, Father, Husband or Wife'. Why? Because "perfect" is defined by each of our personal 'realities', that is, our dreams, goals, fantasies and, sad news, those change over time. Bottom line? "Perfection" is un-reality--It doesn't exist!

My dear 'unknown' friend, you're making life much more difficult than is REALLY IS! You don't HAVE to believe or accept every little 'nuance' and abide by it. Nether YOU or your garden may not need 'fixing'. YOU DO HAVE a MIND, thoughts, beliefs, opinions of your own and YOUR GARDEN IS LARGELY A VERY NATURAL THING. A thing that grows and evolves on it's own, separate from you. Except that YOU plant the SEEDS.

Thank you for your post , your interest in gardening and for helping us gardeners realize, it ain't all that tough, at least it doesn't have to be. Only we, make it as difficult as it is for each of us.

ctutt April 13th, 2009 11:29 AM

I've planted garlic (last fall), spinach and peas so far this spring and started construction of my new raised beds for later frost-free plantings.

karlkatzke April 13th, 2009 11:38 AM

Hey, ctutt, it helps if you hit "quote" so that we know who you're replying to. ;)

As for me: Noticed this morning that I have fruit on the three store-bought pepper plants -- Cayenne, Anaheim, and Sweet Orange. The Cayenne is furthest along. Woohoo! All three upside down plants seem to be adapting all right, and my bush bean plants seem to finally be taking off ... I think it wasn't warm enough for them for a while or something. One of my broccoli plants seems to FINALLY be heading.

whodat April 13th, 2009 12:11 PM

I took out the rest of the cabbage in one of the raised beds and transplanted my tomato plants into the same space. Man, we have been enjoying that cabbage! I wasn't sure they would make it, but they've done pretty good! Some are starting to bolt, so I thought I'd better get them if I wanted them. I was holding off until Easter to put the tomatos and peppers out, since there is usually one last attempt at a freeze right before Easter. Also, some of the onions have keeled over and dried up, so I pulled those and we have been trying the dehydrator on both the cabbage and onions. Hey, it works better than I would have thought! My wife made a dip using some of the dehydrated onions and cabbage, and it was GREAT!
The spinach hasn't been growing well, and the hot weather will be here before I know it, so I have been planting the malabar and strawberry spinach substitutes. I've never tried them before and the tiny size of the strawberry spinach and bayam green seeds were a bit of a surprise. The malabar spinach seeds were soaking all night. I planted them outside, but I'm thinking that I should have put a few in containers in the greenhouse, just as a back-up plan.
Also planted a multitude of squash varieties where more of the cabbages had been. I'm ready for some serious greenery now!

TastyofHasty April 13th, 2009 05:06 PM

Yesterday I planted dahlia tubers (half-off at Wally-World now, had to get some!) Nearly froze my hands, it was so cold and wet out there! The day before I planted beets, nasturtiums, and calendula (all seeds). Today I ought to transplant my little inside-grown tiny grasslike onions ...

bellzeybubba April 13th, 2009 05:15 PM

Saturday, despite feeling congested, achy, and generally ill, I harvested one of my beds of onion bulbs, pulled up the rest of the radishes which were going to flower, and dramatically thinned the turnips in hopes of getting something other than greens from what remains.

Sunday, despite feeling absolutely horrible even with cold & flu medicine, I prepped the empty spaces from yesterday and from harvesting all the cabbages last week - dumped on compost, tilled in - and planted 4 new tomatoes, (my friend had bought too many for her garden so she gave them to me, 2 Black Prince and 2 Pineapple), an Emerald Giant pepper, a Tabasco pepper, 2 more eggplants, and a cantelope. Then I mulched everything and went inside and laid around doing nothing the rest of the day.

Today, feeling much better, I weeded and deadheaded the ornamental beds and gave the veggie patch a good foliar feeding.

Lemon Water April 13th, 2009 08:54 PM

This weekend my dad brought over an Earthtainer that he constructed for me for Easter! I just planted a Brandywine Suddeth and a Paul Robeson in it.

I've been running around doing everything lately, I'm so behind! And we've had lots of cool weather here which is very unusual. So over the past couple of weeks I...

- Seeded some more lettuce, in the shade this time
- Seeded the melons, squash and beans and built their trellis's but have yet to seed the cucumbers
- Planted a whole lot of tomato seedlings, and am attempting to sell the rest for super cheap because I'd hate to kill them and the money would be very useful!
- Re landscaped a portion of the front yard
- Planted some of the peppers, still have about 40 to go!
- Planted begonias, azaleas and other flowers in the back
- Bagged the peaches and nectarines
- Planted some hibiscus
- Fighting my mom's stupid pet rabbit who not only chews all the plants apart and then doesn't eat them, but is also just mean and lazy.
- And of course weekly compost runs

And as for the more fun things I've been picking kale and lettuce nonstop. I have WAY too much, so I give it away to nice people, or I use it to bribe my parents and further push my agenda to take over the property! :D I've also been enjoying peas, bok choy, fresh herbs, carrots, and radishes.

tashak April 13th, 2009 11:10 PM

Lots of little insects and butterflies due to the blossoming bolting greens, and saw the first lizard (a baby one, less than two inches long) today.
Planted the first peas, some lettuce, white hailstone radish, arugula, and more Lucullus swiss chard and more Bloomsdale spinach.
Watered everything including fenceline trees. And forgot to check to see if potatoes are starting up yet.
Rediscovered a tiny plot I haven't used in the last two years. Now to decide what to put there----

kellygirrl April 14th, 2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctutt (Post 259823)
...I intend to use Dutch White Clover for green mulch...

Hows that work, I've been curious for a while, have a bag of it, but wonder if I'd regret using it in veggie garden. You just pull it up where you transplant? How about if you want to direct seed? And unmowed, doesn't it get pretty tall?

Re thread topic: Lots of cold hardy veggies planted out and growing! God bless Winter Sowing! Also, had fun moving some species early tulips near a patch of starflowers, and viceversa for another patch, a huge no-no to do in bloom instead of dormant. But I did it and I ain't sorry yet!:p

GrowBabyGrow April 14th, 2009 12:23 PM

Just waiting to get my hands dirty!

We started a new garden, it will be 20' x 30'! Hubby will turn over more tonite.

I have peppers and Eggplant started indoors, but no sprouts yet. I tried putting them in a South window, nothing, last night i moved them into the basement under flourecent lights, i hope its warm enough for them down there to sprout?Sunflowers are 6" tall!

It will be rototilled may 1st and will plant around the 15th! I cant wait!

FarmerCathy April 14th, 2009 07:17 PM

Planted watermelon, sunflower, jacob's cattle bean, musquee de provence seeds today. Then right after my son and I got in the house it proceeded to hail. It's not usually this cold at this time. It will probably be 80 tom., knowing our weather.

fhalloran April 14th, 2009 08:35 PM

Ok, problem solved. No need to resort to Mr. Macgregor-esque rabbit stew (though that would be mighty tasty).

I built my compost pile and used the extra wire fencing from that to patch my raised bed fence, thus achieving the original goal. Take that, rabbit!

We do have 2 dogs, and I'm sorry to say that they poop a lot! But Mr. Rabbit has not been intimidated. I wish he was. Our home is surrounded by dogs, too (we live in a subdivision, so this bed is kind of like guerrilla urban gardening, except that we're hopelessly uncool), but Mr. Rabbit just hops along as he pleases.

So. Sunday I ruined my mood with the fence-that-wasn't, Monday I built the compost pile and patched the Fence-that-now-is. I also planted curly-leaf parsley to go with the flat-leaf and the Rosemary I planted last weekend after the farmer's market. I have 2 tomato plants ready to plant, but it's not quite warm enough here, yet. I need nights in the 60s, right?

I also weeded and thinned a few snow pea sprouts. Any advice on that would be much appreciated. Last, I checked on my new cherry and apricot trees, and confirmed that they're growing apace. If my raspberries would show some signs of life, that would be perfect.

fhalloran April 14th, 2009 08:36 PM

I forgot: Karl, is that a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

karlkatzke April 14th, 2009 10:16 PM

fhalloran, yes, she is, but she's a mixed mutt with god only knows what. She actually only has half of a ridge. But other than that and some odd (but very striking and enjoyable) fur colorations, a rough and slightly long coat, the 'gay' and high mounted tail, and a lack of white spots, she matches the breed standard closely.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3342/...2e322feb6f.jpg

She's also a superb hunter that would have your Mr. Rabbit in the stewpot (or, more likely, her belly) within a few days. I know that she supplements her diet with wildlife that wanders into our backyard, and I've witnessed her catching birds that are too slow to take off... even with the horrible hip problems she has.

jadek April 15th, 2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhalloran (Post 260969)
We do have 2 dogs, and I'm sorry to say that they poop a lot! But Mr. Rabbit has not been intimidated. I wish he was. Our home is surrounded by dogs, too (we live in a subdivision, so this bed is kind of like guerrilla urban gardening, except that we're hopelessly uncool), but Mr. Rabbit just hops along as he pleases.

Fhalloran, a friend told me told me the poo trick, too. I kept stepping in the stuff, but the animals hopped right over it. Same friend also told me I could stuff excess dog hair down animal holes to scare them off with the scent of a predator. I tried it, until I realized that I was simply supplying the creatures with bedding material. The hair would always disappear overnight. Grrrr!

A stray lab finally took care of the whole rabbit warren one night. I don't usually like dogs wandering loose in my yard, but that dog was an exception. No more rabbits!

fhalloran April 15th, 2009 10:44 AM

Karl, we used to have an RR - purebred and looked a lot like your girl. No killer instinct, though, which was too bad. Of course, at that time our problem was skunks, so a killer instinct would have been seriously problematic.

One of our current dogs is a rescue who is supposedly a RR mix, but we doubt it. And again - no killer instinct. Maybe it's us. We fail to nurture that element of doggie personality. I wish Boris would snack on Mr. Rabbit.

fhalloran April 15th, 2009 10:46 AM

Jadek, my experience is a lot like yours. Our little dog (35lbs) has a thick double coat. This time of year, everything in the yard is covered in bits of her hair (let's not talk about the house).

So if that was going to repel an animal, it would have done it. And don't I wish. But even if the poo thing worked, I might not do it. Ringing my little garden with poo would take a lot of the pleasure out of it, and I doubt my husband would want to eat anything grown there.

karlkatzke April 15th, 2009 12:37 PM

A ridgie with no killer instinct? Say it ain't so! I swear, this is the way she came. At six weeks old, this little fluffball CHALLENGED a 160 pound male great dane who was the acknowledged leader of the massive pack at my girlfriend's house for his rawhide chewy. He'd put his paws on your shoulders and lick your face clean. To get his chewy back, he grabbed the entirety of her in his mouth, and used his toungue to extract the rawhide.

Ajla April 15th, 2009 12:38 PM

I've harvested my first asparagus!

ellenr April 15th, 2009 05:51 PM

Kelly girl,
I am a winter sower too. For a few years, but this is my first year sowing vegies. [previously WS'ed annuals] Lettuce, chard, spinach and broccoli came up nicely. I planted some lettuce in a pot in driveway a couple of months ago and it is looking yummy.

I have no garden area where I live, and I garden in a community garden where planting vegies would just be feeding the critters, so I arranged with a friend/neighbor to plant most of my vegie sprouts in his garden. So far no creature attacks. I also put a couple of chard in a pot in my driveway. The pot may be too small, but this is all experimental for me. I just like growing them.

I winter sowed poppies, and they have been planted in the garden for about a month. I have about 20 containers of Salvia outside, but protected. I sowed them too early, so now I have to wrap them at night when the temp dips (like tonite - going down to 38). They germinated about 6 weeks ago (!) so I know they would like to get out of the container, BUT last year I put them in the garden too early and lost them to frost, so this year I am waiting til May 12.

ellen

Locavore April 15th, 2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 261340)
I've harvested my first asparagus!

Whoo hoo! I love asparagus. When we move, I hope to put in a bed......

Locavore April 15th, 2009 06:32 PM

Planted my 5 paprika pepper plants today! Whoo hoo! They've been growing in the green house for a while now, and are over due to get out into the garden, but I was worried about the windy weather we've been getting.

They're tied to stakes, in the hottest part of the garden, so I'm hopeful they'll pull through. I soooooooo want to have home-grown paprika this year!!!

I've still got 4 other kinds to find spots for, but the paprikas were the priorety.

hikingonthru April 16th, 2009 12:45 PM

Lessee....today I cut my yard and those on either side of me for green trimmings to ramp up the compost pile. I went too fast and it looked shaggy so I ended up micromulching it all! Oh well...good on the yards! I dug six 16-24 inch postholes along my chain link fence since the soil here is good and moist WAY down for the fist time in a long time. Gonna use it to trellis something...just not sure what yet. Likely luffas and noodle beans and maybe a mater or cuke. Got me some 2 inch wide goat fencing I found at the farm and turned the compost pile into it rather than the hog wire. Emptied the tumble composter on it between layers to give it some wet/green.

I DID learn something today...if you have a working compost pile in wire and you bust it open to turn it with dogs around, you are in it to the finish! That compost is like cocaine to my dogs! I also learned that while putting the seam of your wire mesh cylinder to the back looks better, it makes it tough to open the cage come turning time. I learned that I was able to get outside one what is likely the MOST BEAUTIFUL SPRING DAY I HAVE EVER SEEN! Thank-you, Jesus!

FarmerCathy April 16th, 2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenr (Post 261459)
Kelly girl,
I am a winter sower too. For a few years, but this is my first year sowing vegies. [previously WS'ed annuals] Lettuce, chard, spinach and broccoli came up nicely. I planted some lettuce in a pot in driveway a couple of months ago and it is looking yummy.

I winter sowed poppies, and they have been planted in the garden for about a month. I have about 20 containers of Salvia outside, but protected. I sowed them too early, so now I have to wrap them at night when the temp dips (like tonite - going down to 38). They germinated about 6 weeks ago (!) so I know they would like to get out of the container, BUT last year I put them in the garden too early and lost them to frost, so this year I am waiting til May 12.

ellen

I am really loving winter sowing as well. That will be how I plant all my tomato plants next year. They are so much healthier and stronger. Well, except for the sweetie tomatoes those plants are so fragile.

mythkat April 16th, 2009 06:05 PM

Well, I built all the raised beds in the last two weekends. I have four 12" x 16' x 4' beds and two L shaped 20" x 8' x 8 ' beds. The composed top soil (15 cuy) will be delivered tomorrow. I have to finish digging the rocks out of the beds and mixing in the composted chicken bedding and sulfur before I put the top soil in. I have to repot my started seedlings (they'll go in the bed at the end of the month). But before I put the plants in I have to build the rabbit fence. Ahhh, springtime in Nevada. :D

ellenr April 17th, 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy (Post 262090)
I am really loving winter sowing as well. That will be how I plant all my tomato plants next year. They are so much healthier and stronger. Well, except for the sweetie tomatoes those plants are so fragile.

I have my first tomato sprouts!
I plan to grow one in a 5-gal bucket, and the others I have to find space in someone's back yard.
I'm glad to hear the WS'ed ones are healthier.

kellygirrl April 17th, 2009 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenr (Post 262499)
I have my first tomato sprouts!
I plan to grow one in a 5-gal bucket, and the others I have to find space in someone's back yard.
I'm glad to hear the WS'ed ones are healthier.

Someone on this forum did an experiment last year, and her winter sowed tomatoes outperformed and resisted disease compared to her indoor sown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenr (Post 261459)
Kelly girl,
I am a winter sower too... I also put a couple of chard in a pot in my driveway. The pot may be too small, but this is all experimental for me. I just like growing them.

ellen

I love chard, especially Rainbow. I've mixed it in flower beds w/ success.

Were your poppies tiny tiny when you put them out? I haven't put mine out yet.

Interesting about salvia. It will be a learning process, getting the feel of what to put out when.
-------------------------

I am revelling in my magenta variegated lambsquarters. It comes up first in the hoophouse; where I let one go to seed it scattered itself a bit and also sowed itself like a successive-sow patch: I harvest the whole plants at five inches, and the younger ones underneath grow bigger, and I harvest them. I like to chop them and toss them in hot broth or soup when the soup is cooked, so they are tender but still vibrant. Soon my yard will have them all over, and I won't be able to eat them all, but now they are most welcome, some of my first wonderful greens of spring.

karlkatzke April 17th, 2009 12:30 PM

Hey, a Cauliflower headed! It's only about the size of a golfball right now, but I tied the leaves up over it head as the book I read says.

fhalloran April 18th, 2009 09:53 AM

Welllll...today we're going to have a little funeral for the tray of seedlings (Aster and Lupine - yes I know but I was going to transplant them very gently) that I steamed yesterday.

In a fit of jubilation at the 70-degree temps and the shining sun, I took my trays outside. But I put one in the sun and left the lid on. I didn't really think about it as a lovely little magnifier of heat, but when I realized what was happening and grabbed it back, too late. The soil was steaming. Dead little seedlings. Oh, well. Lesson learned.

The other trays are fine. And they're more important to me, being veggies. But still.

ratdog April 18th, 2009 05:27 PM

I planted 15 rows of beets,each row is 4ft long. Also planted 11 rows of red onions and some snow peas. Peace Ken!

reavilh April 18th, 2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog (Post 263138)
I planted 15 rows of beets,each row is 4ft long. Also planted 11 rows of red onions and some snow peas. Peace Ken!

When I started reading this I saw the 15 rows and almost spit a mouthful of coffee all over the computer. I thought this guy must really love beets. Then I got to the 4 ft part. I'm used to my rows, and they are 40 ft long.

MichiganderGardener April 18th, 2009 07:23 PM

Took advantage of this beautiful, sunny, 75 degree weather, and planted 4 ,40 foot long rows of yellow and sweet onions. A row of Lincoln Peas, and Swiss Chard. Planted some spinach in containers.

Yesterday planted a hedge of common Lilacs, and some French Lilacs.

ratdog April 19th, 2009 04:06 PM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by reavilh (Post 263146)
When I started reading this I saw the 15 rows and almost spit a mouthful of coffee all over the computer. I thought this guy must really love beets. Then I got to the 4 ft part. I'm used to my rows, and they are 40 ft long.

:D:D 4 of my beds are 4ft x16ft. We love pickled beets,still eating last years.

pls8xx April 19th, 2009 04:18 PM

I'm getting ready to pick sugar snap peas from the patch I planted back on Feb 18th. Photo from yesterday ...

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a93...ugarsnaps2.jpg

karlkatzke April 19th, 2009 04:51 PM

*sigh* Broccoli bolted to flower. I cut all of it down and tried tasting some of the heads, and they were bitter. Amending the area, now at least I can put in the other plants that have been patiently waiting in containers...

wyldewal April 19th, 2009 08:17 PM

Friday I got a new garden space ready for my little girl to plant sunflowers and pumpkins in.:) Saterday I had a few family things to take care of. Today it's snowing again.:eek:

FarmerCathy April 19th, 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reavilh (Post 263146)

I know I thought the same thing.

Planted this morning. Straight 8 cucumbers, about a 45' row. Then butternut squash and gourds in a 55' row, lettuce in 45' row, and summer squash in another 40' row. :D

karlkatzke April 19th, 2009 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sick, but I was so frustrated by the broccoli failure (due to my unknowingly planting too late) that I dug up that side of the bed and added manure, peat moss, and some clay from the yard until it was back up to the level of the sidewalk.

Then I planted the 'Quinault' everbearing strawberry in the middle, the Black Krim in one corner, bush Zucchinis in the other corners, and (if it grows) a bush Cuke close to the Zucchini that I'm not sure will make it. There was already a Super Sweet VF100 hybrid in the right hand side, and there's some kohlrabi in the bottom right that I'm curious to see what happens to.

In the upper left, you can see how far below the deck boards things have settled... almost six inches overall and up to 8-10 inches in places.