IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Minderella83 July 24th, 2011 08:54 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I weeded and made a shade cloth for my tomato plants.

Deanna July 24th, 2011 09:40 PM

Well, my melon patch had outgrown its confines so I had to go take out the fence, pull grass, hoe the ground, mix in the top soil, compost..ect, put more alfalfa out, and spread the vines out. About doubled the size of the melon patch. No fence now, but hopefully the plants are big enough the tree rats will leave them alone.

motherspider July 25th, 2011 07:55 AM

My eggplant is in a pot that we bring in the house during our frost period. If you are diligent in self pollination you even get fruit indoors. I only got 2, although it was nice to get anything with our unusual winter this past year almost killing everything.
We have put up a pergola over the garden this year to shade the heat and plan on enclosing with plastic this winter. I expect to have lots of food all year.
Just planted more okra 3 days ago and they have broke ground already. Planted snake gourd 4 days ago, am still waiting to see them. They will help the shade issue, climbing the pergola and then produce hanging fruit. Can't wait to see what they taste like.
Also, finished our flood bed over the pond. Will be planting seedlings in the next week or so and then begins the experimentation on our aquaponics.

Tia July 25th, 2011 03:16 PM

Yeah, the weather is taking a toll. . on everything but the tomatoes! They keep producing. . .especially the Sungolds, Heather! So many that I'm giving them away. And the funny thing is, I didn't even plant cherry tomatoes this year! These are all volunteers from last year! This year's squash and peppers were both a total disaster. . .hardly even grew. . .but the cukes and eggplant are doing fine and, of course, the okra. It just seems to love this hot weather. I water the veggie garden from 6-8 am every other day and yesterday I had to water the wildflower meadow! The leaves of the flowers were just going crispy! While I was out there, I discovered--and immediately dispatched--a clump of dodder! My first experience with it and Robin, my nursery lady, told me to get rid of it as fast as possible. It was a small patch and I was able to get every last speck out. Just hope it didn't produce seeds that I didn't see!

bella18 July 25th, 2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tia (Post 803527)
While I was out there, I discovered--and immediately dispatched--a clump of dodder! My first experience with it and Robin, my nursery lady, told me to get rid of it as fast as possible. It was a small patch and I was able to get every last speck out. Just hope it didn't produce seeds that I didn't see!

What is dodder??? :confused:

mikesf July 25th, 2011 04:11 PM

yes what is dodder?

Mulligan Man July 25th, 2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bella18 (Post 803556)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesf (Post 803561)
yes what is dodder?

X3

I just got done squishing cabbage worms and dusting cabbages.

VA Gardener July 25th, 2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bella18 (Post 803556)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesf (Post 803561)
yes what is dodder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan Man (Post 803566)
X3

+4

Sorellina July 25th, 2011 05:04 PM

Google is your friend, campers.

"Golden Dodder is an annual leafless flowering plant. It parasitises host plants by suckers called haustoria. The haustoria penetrate the tissues of the host plant and take out valuable nutrient reducing crop and pasture production . The stems are threadlike and usually bright yellow. The flowers are bell shaped in clusters along the stems and are creamy white in appearance."

http://www.noxiousweeds.org.au/wp-co...den_dodder.jpg

Sungold IL July 25th, 2011 05:12 PM

Yay for Sungolds! Mine are coming on strong! Though they don't seem to -- at least yet -- have the same flavor they did last year.

Sungold IL July 26th, 2011 09:44 PM

Right now I'm not doing anything for my garden...but the resident bat is doing his or her nightly rounds. It flies in a circle around my garden and hopefully has a great dinner of insects...

Prairie Princess July 27th, 2011 01:11 AM

I am doing happy dance that after 5 hailstorms and cold, long wet spring that it even survived, let alone, looks as good as it does.

Trisha July 27th, 2011 11:35 AM

:( I have not planted my fall crops, and in fact have to decide which existing plants get "voted off the island." The extreme heat and water restrictions mean that I cannot water everything, so I am watching plants die. Insects are thriving since we have lost most of the lizard population, even keep a tally of bodies we've found. I have decided to focus on my peppers, fruit trees, and valuable landscape plants that will survive in our evolving new climate zone. Everything is mulched, some plants get hand-watered, and the soaker hose is getting a workout. I hope the (required by city code) lawn is truly dead so I can plant one that is more sustainable. I feel guilty about the spark of hope in the developing tropical storm, which is our only hope for rain. I will start plants indoors in hope that the heat breaks by the time they are ready to put in the ground.

bdebonee July 27th, 2011 07:40 PM

Doing a happy dance because my butternuts are finally putting on fruit, although its extremely warm. 98+ every day.

The greek sweet red is a monster of a plant. It decided to grow about 15 ft in EVERY direction. Growing out of the old compost pile, into my neighbors yard (again, already redirected vines), and into our other lot. o_0

Butternut Rogosa Violina's are setting fruit earlier than the greeks.....

motherspider July 28th, 2011 03:57 PM

Watering, weeding, killing grasshoppers. My snake gourd came up finally, only 3 our of 5 made it. Not sure why such a bad ratio on those seeds, they are from local research farm and supposed to be made specially for our environment. Even the okra I got there didn't fair as well. 1 out of 20 didn't make it of the store bought and only got 9 out of 20 from the farm.

ricksroots July 28th, 2011 08:15 PM

I've been harvesting a lot of tomatoes recently - and trimming the plants too. My tomato crops are nearly done. At least the spring plantings. I have a few other plants going that I started from seed back in late May that are just starting to produce.

Sungold IL July 29th, 2011 10:50 AM

Good grief! I just spent what felt like forever dealing with squash bug eggs and nymphs on my "volunteer" squash. It is a haven for these bugs. The plant isn't doing great, so I hacked off a lot of the leaves and killed any bugs and eggs I found. I felt dirty after. Thank goodness for showers...

tsuyako July 29th, 2011 12:06 PM

Evicting slugs....

VA Gardener July 29th, 2011 12:36 PM

Fighting squash bugs and cucumber beetles. It has become a ritual to go to the garden in the morning and in the evening with a cup of soapy water and let the bugs take a swim.

RozieDozie July 29th, 2011 01:11 PM

Fighting fire ants; it's so dry they are eating everything for moisture. They've invaded my corn, my okra blossoms..... Pesty thangs!!!! And there's almost no way to get rid of them; they are everywhere. And they sting like fire! Got covered with bites this morning when I was picking corn. Ouch!!!!! Grrrrrrrr....

Mulligan Man August 12th, 2011 10:14 PM

Over the last week to 10 days I have set out....

100 Pak Choi
24 Early Jersey cabage with about 70 more to go
66 Orient Express Chinese Cabbage.

Planted 8 varieties of lettuce
Planted spinach.

Prairie Princess August 13th, 2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie Princess (Post 804488)
I am doing happy dance that after 5 hailstorms and cold, long wet spring that it even survived, let alone, looks as good as it does.

Hail storm #6 was not a pretty sight. :mad: Anyway, a quick cruise through this morning. Things are growing new leaves, and blossoms. Won't get near as much as I wanted, and a few of the "sticks" that were plants I'm going to pull and plant some lettuce and such.

mikesf August 13th, 2011 08:57 AM

#6 WOW! sorry about your luck

redneckplanter August 13th, 2011 01:17 PM

planting planting.lol

lalbers August 13th, 2011 01:45 PM

Planted some spinach, old stuff is bolting, and hoping for rain

Minderella83 August 13th, 2011 02:08 PM

This morning I went out and sawed off the back 2 feet of my garden and re attached the back wood to the smaller sides. Now have a 12 X 4 foot garden instead of 12 X 6 foot. Looks so weird and small. I will be able to reach everything without walking on my bed now.

TastyofHasty August 13th, 2011 04:54 PM

Pulling grass and weeds, looking to make spots to plant fall stuff.

lalbers August 13th, 2011 07:26 PM

I found another 3 feet for some fall chard. Still hoping for rain!

tracydr August 13th, 2011 11:48 PM

Hauling tons and tons of manure to prepare my fall gardens. Planting my seeds in the house.

bdebonee August 16th, 2011 04:33 PM

Watering for the most part....

Running late on getting winter veggies going and ground prepped. Summer garden
is still going strong. Tomatillos, assorted peppers, tomatoes, armenian cukes, and beans are coming
in left and right.

GennyL September 22nd, 2011 08:07 AM

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v.../spamalert.jpg

Little Minnie September 25th, 2011 11:04 PM

Sigh, pulling out dead tomato plants and potato bugs with them. They are not going to be composted!
Trying to keep 2 does out of the garden with fishing line that they seem oblivious to.
Looking at the Musque de Provence over and over to see if they finally turned tan yet.
Keeping up with the crazy erratic weather.

TastyofHasty September 26th, 2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Looking at the Musque de Provence over and over to see if they finally turned tan yet.
:D Yeah, I do that with my Milka's Red Bulgarian tomatoes that are getting white-green now but no blush yet ... come ON, I want at least one nice big tomato this summer!!

Tom C September 26th, 2011 12:28 PM

Stuffing tree seeds into cells for their winter slumber, awaiting new saplings next spring.

weedy September 27th, 2011 02:38 PM

Diggin sweet taters

redneckplanter September 29th, 2011 03:48 PM

hey hiking come post in yer thread here bro!

Desert Rat September 29th, 2011 06:21 PM

Still watching it bake!

MVNewf September 29th, 2011 07:12 PM

I moved all my dinosaur kale into my enclosed garden for the fall/winter season of growing....it wasn't very happy about being transplanted (kale was about 1 foot tall) but has come around with this rain and perked right up....nothing like picking veggies from the garden in Nov & Dec....:D

Mulligan Man October 1st, 2011 06:22 PM

Hauled 15,000 lbs of compost from the university farm to my garden. :D

MVNewf October 1st, 2011 07:10 PM

I picked about 3 pounds of broccoli this afternoon:) and tomorrow will pick a ton of kale and make another huge pot of portugese kale soup! (I have so much kale growing, even the neighbors are getting tired of eating kale) I have 18 Qts of it in the freezer already so I don't want to freeze anymore....I think on Monday, I will bring a bunch down to the senior citizen center.....

redneckplanter October 2nd, 2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan Man (Post 837294)

envy envy...lol

happygardener October 2nd, 2011 12:06 PM

Pulling weeds, bringing in plants, uncovering tomatoes, peppers, okra, brussel sprouts. Planning on where to put tubs DH brought from farm, deciding what to move around for next year, digging compost, should I bother with hoop house?,wishing for attached green house. Breaks over. Later.

Mulligan Man October 2nd, 2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 837429)
envy envy...lol

Well you could have come and got some too. :)

victoria stiles November 15th, 2011 12:59 AM

I am looking for some beautiful but cheap garden ornaments.

Redbud November 16th, 2011 04:14 PM

Put the garden to bed over the weekend. Had to harvest the last of the kale and took the fence down at the community garden. The kale went to the soup kitchen. We dug up and transplanted lettuce and spinach into the cold frame we rigged up. I'm hoping it will keep the plants going a bit longer. Also dug up several volunteer comfrey plants but haven't planted them yet. Right now they're in pots but we'll have to find a spot for them come spring.

TastyofHasty November 17th, 2011 11:00 AM

VOLUNTEER comfrey? That's the first I've ever heard anybody say they had that?! Does that mean you have the SEEDING kind of comfrey? Mine is grown from Horizon Herb's seed, supposed to set seed, but I haven't found actual SEED yet.

ratdog November 17th, 2011 03:50 PM

Leaves from the yard went to the garden.

MVNewf November 17th, 2011 04:11 PM

I picked Cauliflower and Broccoli, blanched them and got them into 4 Qt size freezer bags today....the brussels sprouts are doing awesome, I can hardly wait to pick some and roast them on a cold day soon......:)

Ezzrider November 17th, 2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan Man (Post 837294)

Any idea how many yards that is and what did ya haul it in? Lots of weight!

organicbaby November 17th, 2011 07:21 PM

Rolling in the lettuce (I planted too much...good news for those I view favorably :)), munching on sugar snaps and wondering how I'll get the thunbergia monster (that shows no signs of EVER quitting!) out of my fence.