IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

lalbers June 30th, 2011 10:52 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Coralled the kid who's here for summer vacation from college and weeded the garden. My tomatoes are so sickly this year, I doubt I'll get anything, but transplanted something (cukes, winter squash, zukes???) when we discovered them under the weeds.... gonna be interesting to see what they are! Corn appeared from the weeds also- and lots of cilantro, which I love anyway- volunteer from years ago.

Sungold IL July 1st, 2011 12:38 AM

I spent some time this morning pruning the bottom leaves of my tomatoes (seeing some disease already) and then spraying fungicide on my cukes and squash.

Direct Sunlight July 1st, 2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracydr (Post 790732)
Maybe because it's so much hotter here? I was getting fruit set until we climbed into the 105-115 in the daytime and 80-90s at night. Saturday will be 119. Now, even my eggplants and hot peppers have quit.

:eek: 3rd hottest June ever here, but I think our highest was 103. We have a 10% chance of rain the next three days. It may be a challenge getting the fall tomatoes out.

TxBullnettle July 1st, 2011 04:38 PM

Today makes exactly 3 months of harvesting black krim. Picked 5. Only three left and spider mites have just about finished plants. Harvest few pounds(hulls and attaching top) tamahumara popping sorghum. Rasberry ants have destroyed all peas and beans farming aphids. cutting in tomorrow(minus bugs).I leave work everyday with shirt of sweat and my gardening groove has been shot. too hot. oh yeah still picking ark trav and red cherries

ricksroots July 2nd, 2011 10:12 AM

Pounded a couple of steel garden stakes in the ground and ran a couple of 10' pieces of mason ladder between them to provide support for my 5 potted pepper plants that keep falling over. Too heavy for their little plastic 12" pots!!

Harvested a SLEW of jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, anaheim chilis, and some bell peppers too.

gixxerific July 2nd, 2011 10:21 AM

Harvesting onions, carrots, planting Lady Godiva Squash, cantaloupe and if I can squeeze it in either another pumpkin or watermelon or both.:D

I have a problem.:eek:

Sungold IL July 3rd, 2011 12:35 AM

Squashing the first Japanese beetle of the year... and squishing many clutches of squash bug eggs... also picked a bunch of peas!

WillysWoodPile July 4th, 2011 03:53 AM

I just finished running twine on my tomatoes. All finished... whew! I did some watering, and I took some pictures.

wjdavis1 July 4th, 2011 08:53 AM

[SIZE="6"]Tracydr[/SIZE] - just a question, I've got 'indeterminate' tomatoes, most of different ages, so I do not look for a great number at any time. How do you prepare your tomatoes to freeze them, so I can can them later when I get a bucket full? Thanks, :)

Prairie Princess July 4th, 2011 08:57 AM

It hasn't hailed for a whole week! :D Plants are recovering, seeds are sprouting!

Been tough going so far, but hopefully we're past the worst of the <*> weather.

chilzany July 4th, 2011 10:32 AM

so this weekend I put up beanpoles-beans are almost ready to start climbing. And then I raked up grass clippings and put on the beds as mulch-hot temps just finally hit this weekend. everything has sprouted that I planted, now they just need to really get growing. short season this year, really short. but volunteer sunflower is already blooming. last year they didn't bloom til end of August. go figure.

Maeve July 5th, 2011 01:12 PM

sprayed down my tomatoes with epsom salt water and gave a few of them a nice drink at the roots. Will do the rest this evening . . . hope it helps!

JanAdy July 5th, 2011 03:18 PM

watching everything wither and die.

I have to lug water from the lavoir (public water trough) up hill (approx 100metres) to my animals and garden.
Much as I love my garden, the animal water requirements are more important. I only have 2 x 50litre aqua-rolls. By the time they have filled and been dragged up hill a few times I'm @@@@@.

Pool Boy July 5th, 2011 03:32 PM

Picking the green beans as fast as I can!

That & weeding. I have resolved to stay on top of my weeding this year. It turns out that "hoping" a weed won't grow doesn't really work in preventing it from growing.

noobgahdnuh July 5th, 2011 03:36 PM

shade cloth... too hot for my peppers! too hot for me too... im stayin indoors the rest of the day.

WillysWoodPile July 5th, 2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanAdy (Post 793327)
watching everything wither and die.

I have to lug water from the lavoir (public water trough) up hill (approx 100metres) to my animals and garden.
Much as I love my garden, the animal water requirements are more important. I only have 2 x 50litre aqua-rolls. By the time they have filled and been dragged up hill a few times I'm @@@@@.

Put them young kids to work.

tracydr July 5th, 2011 07:31 PM

Repairing my shade structure after the dust storm this weekend. Putting the tomatoes back together, they were pretty mangled and tripods broken.
Picked ten pounds of tomatoes and five okra pods. Smashed aphids on the long beans.
I think since its only supposed to be around 101 tomorrow, I'm going to try some soapy water on the long beans, red rippers and okra. The aphids are awful. Diatemaceous earth seems to have killed the ants but the aphids are just awful.

chilzany July 5th, 2011 10:16 PM

nextdoor nighbor tells me it hit 100 today under his porch roof. I was indoors, just got home to start watering. I may have to set up some shade cloth for my pepper plants too. they're still not very big. neither is anything else for that matter.

Sungold IL July 5th, 2011 10:55 PM

I took some time to chase the ^%*(%&$ SVB, but to no avail.

I also sprayed fungicide all round...

bdebonee July 5th, 2011 11:22 PM

Need to plant more melons. These (&@# sparrows are killing me.

Just planted a hill and they've already ripped my new sprouts out.

Seems chicken wire won't keep them out, need to find out where I can find
floating row covers. Went to hardware store today, didn't see any.

ricksroots July 6th, 2011 09:16 AM

Brought some peppers and maters from the garden into work today:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...0/IMAG0241.jpg

bdebonee July 6th, 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksroots (Post 793702)
Brought some peppers and maters from the garden into work today:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...0/IMAG0241.jpg

Its time for Salsa!!!! :D

WillysWoodPile July 6th, 2011 01:48 PM

Very nice Rick.

loeb July 6th, 2011 02:53 PM

Today I've made an experimental grafting - old wilted watermelon, on old piece of pruned ficifolia pumpkin;) And it's raining AGAIN so, that's all :/

eagleheart July 7th, 2011 02:59 PM

Anyone have any ideas on why my pole green beans from the ground & about a foot up---the leaves have a rust colored spottings on them & of course at the top i have the Lovely Japaneese Beetles eating the leaves too :(

Pool Boy July 8th, 2011 09:55 AM

Just harvested my beans again, I seem to be on a 2-3 day cycle with them producing right now!

Also, just got the first zucchini last night with a few more to come in the next day or so. :)

TastyofHasty July 8th, 2011 10:19 AM

Walking around with the 100' hose attached to the rainwater tank, watering.

Every few days I spray some more homemade rotten egg sour milk wormwood garlic deer repellant. :):eek: ... SEEMS to be working. The pole beans are regrowing leaves and putting out some beans. Not seeing any more nipped off tomato tops either. They haven't chomped the okra! There's plenty of wild stuff out there the deer can eat ... the goal is, make them believe my garden tastes YUCCH!

Sungold IL July 8th, 2011 10:23 AM

I picked a small zucchini and a small yellow crook neck squash last night. Sauteed them up with snow peas AND garlic -- all home grown. Heaven on earth!! Right now I'm anxious for more squash before the borers get them! This morning I hand-pollinated the squash as the first one withered without getting pollinated...

WillysWoodPile July 8th, 2011 10:27 PM

Watering and weeding. I hate weeding.

gixxerific July 8th, 2011 10:53 PM

getting ready t bag my garlic, it's cured.

Trimming tomatoes and I found some climbing cutworms.:mad::mad::mad:

Prairie Princess July 8th, 2011 11:53 PM

Picked some spinach and lettuce and thanked the good Lord I dodged the hail again. 2 weeks hail free!

tracydr July 9th, 2011 12:34 AM

Washed my garden and repaired my shade after the second major dust storm. Tried to prop up the corn thats laying down, the opposite way from first dust storm, last weekend. Picked a baseball bat zucchini. Washed aphids off the long beans.
Finally have the garden in shape after two days of cleaning up from the "Haboob" so I guess tomorrow it's time for another one.
What was I thinking, planting 12 foot corn, to mature at the end of July during monsoon season?

tuk50 July 9th, 2011 12:56 AM

Taking advantage of our summer monsoons and planted about half a dozen tomatoes for a fall crop and planted kohlrabi.. first time for it and will plant a few every week till fall to see when the best time is here of the desert to start them next year. The gourd and luffa vines love the monsoon rains and are growing about 6in every day now. My grandson and I planted a couple of Giant Pumpkin hills yesterday and he is checking them every morning to see if they have come up yet.... Okra is really starting to produce and having to pick it every day .... will dehydrate some this year to see how it tastes... I read somewhere here that it makes a great snack and it sounds good.

ricksroots July 9th, 2011 02:03 PM

Harvested a bunch of tomatoes and asian yardlong beans today.

tracydr July 9th, 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuk50 (Post 795222)
Taking advantage of our summer monsoons and planted about half a dozen tomatoes for a fall crop and planted kohlrabi.. first time for it and will plant a few every week till fall to see when the best time is here of the desert to start them next year. The gourd and luffa vines love the monsoon rains and are growing about 6in every day now. My grandson and I planted a couple of Giant Pumpkin hills yesterday and he is checking them every morning to see if they have come up yet.... Okra is really starting to produce and having to pick it every day .... will dehydrate some this year to see how it tastes... I read somewhere here that it makes a great snack and it sounds good.

Wish I would get some rain! I just keep getting dust, literally.

lalbers July 9th, 2011 02:55 PM

I wish we would get some rain also. I'm watering the garden, but with the cool spring we had, now hot- and now all the smoke from both the AZ fire, and the Los Alamos fire burning just on the other side of the mountain, my garden is not happy this year. Been eating lots of spinach tho!

noobgahdnuh July 9th, 2011 03:18 PM

putting down gravel for weed control around my raised beds... looks real purdy.

tuk50 July 9th, 2011 04:38 PM

tracy, I feel for you.... I hate those dust storms.. got caught in one out by Wilcox a couple months ago on the way to visit grandkids in New Mexico... we just parked for a while and let the tumble weeds bounce off the car till we could see far enough ahead of us to be safe... I think we must of got the rain off the giant dust storm you guys had... we had winds that bounced the lawn chairs around and sent anything not tied down flying and then one of our first wonderful rains right behind the winds that gave us our first good soaking and the garden soaked it up and everything grew taller overnight. :)

Tia July 11th, 2011 08:38 AM

Finally got some good rain so I've been weeding, weeding, weeding! The veggie beds now look the way they're supposed to. . .actually uncovered some really nice onions I didn't even know were there! And the flower bed on the east side of the proper finally got some attention. Looks so much prettier with everything deadheaded and only the colorful flowers remaining. Now to plant some more seeds!

Sungold IL July 11th, 2011 03:03 PM

*sigh* They are doing some work on our electrical systems, and my compost pile is in the way. So today I have to move it... somewhere. And hope that they don't need to tear into anything else.

At least I was able to ask the guy who's working next door today, BEFORE they did anything to my yard. But I'm nervous about tomorrow.

And we got a huge storm this morning, so I've been dealing with the aftermath and figuring out what got damaged and what needs to be propped up more... I lost a few peppers, and pruned back some tomatoes, but things look okay otherwise.

SherylGallant July 11th, 2011 06:32 PM

Wow Rick! Beautiful pepper harvest! I'm picking the last of the peas and drying herbs and picking raspberries and cutting lettuce and spinach. No veggies ready yet.

Imp July 11th, 2011 07:04 PM

Tracydr, you can use a sort of florida weave for corn if it is not a huge patch. I had to do that in east Texas, long ago. I used a twine line every three rows to help support the stalks.

I had planted in wide short "rows", 3 lines of seed, staggered, to a "row", it also helped in polination to have 5 30 foot long rows in a spot, with staggered planting times.

springfever July 11th, 2011 10:22 PM

right now, just watering, watering and picking off dead leaves!

tracydr July 11th, 2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 796281)
Tracydr, you can use a sort of florida weave for corn if it is not a huge patch. I had to do that in east Texas, long ago. I used a twine line every three rows to help support the stalks.

I had planted in wide short "rows", 3 lines of seed, staggered, to a "row", it also helped in polination to have 5 30 foot long rows in a spot, with staggered planting times.

I think I'm going to need to do that. We had another storm and more rain! My corn is bending in the middle on some of the stalks? It's just starting to make pollen.
I sprayed the long beans off to get the aphids, just with water, and found another mantis. Tomorrow, I'm going to give some bloom booster to everything, using the rainwater I collected.
My chicken coop gets here tomorrow, so I need to move the chicks to a new pen and clear a path from the gate to where the coop will go. I'm so glad to have shelter for the chickens, yeah!

ricksroots July 12th, 2011 02:50 PM

Well it's nearly 100 degrees here (average 89, record 101). So, I'm watering =)

BetsyRoss1513 July 12th, 2011 03:49 PM

Letting the weeds grow, just keeping them short as possible so they don't interfere with the STARS.
Plucking as much basil as I can.
Harvested at least 5 14" zuchinnis in the last week (boy they do hide on you if you're not looking close and become HUGE! :mad: ) But my coworkers like the zuchinni bread I made :):) , and grilling them (tashty!). Watering(90-95's here Indy), and adding extra staking to the tomatos - they seem to shoot out extra fruiting branches so I'm trying to keep them off the ground!

Pool Boy July 12th, 2011 05:13 PM

In addition to picking my haricort verts I moved my pot of basil into the shade of my redbud tree to get it some respite from the blazing sun - it's much happier now. :)

I'm also warring with some chipmunks and rabbits at the moment. Each year I embark on a "chipmunk relocation program" and so far this year I've moved over a dozen to different environs. Rabbit combat mostly involves finding the gaps at the bottom of my fence and staking them down more firmly. I keep telling my wife I'm in the mood for some hasenpfeffer, but she's not too excited about that for some reason.

motherspider July 13th, 2011 02:34 PM

Just put in a fish pond and getting ready to build tables to house my aquaponics system that will waterfall into the pond.

Plus, just harvested out of worm barrel to replenish dirt garden to get ready for next planting.

tracydr July 13th, 2011 04:47 PM

Found a new home for two juvenile roosters. Yeah! Gave the Armenian cucumbers, long beans and red rippers some bloom booster, after rinsing aphids off the beans.
I'd almost call it cool today!

KidLit July 13th, 2011 04:55 PM

I've got squirrel combat--for some reason they seem to LOVE unripe Cherokee Purple tomatoes.

Pool Boy July 13th, 2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidLit (Post 797171)
I've got squirrel combat--for some reason they seem to LOVE unripe Cherokee Purple tomatoes.

It's weird, but the squirrels in my yard don't bother the garden at all. :confused:

My 11yo son wants a bb gun real bad & seems to be perversely interested in what it would be like to kill a chipmunk or twenty with one.

Gemini Jim July 13th, 2011 06:34 PM

Stink bug patrol. Picking maters and sour gherkins, watching for ripe Thai chili peppers. There's still some lacinato kale that the stinkers haven't completely ruined, but the broccoli is mostly toast. There is a lot of weeding to do and most of the taters are ready to dig, but that will have to wait at least until Sunday...

springfever July 13th, 2011 11:10 PM

Trying to keep myself from ripping those nasty looking tomato vines out of the dirt . I can't do that as they do have tomatoes on them!

tracydr July 13th, 2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pool Boy (Post 797175)
It's weird, but the squirrels in my yard don't bother the garden at all. :confused:

My 11yo son wants a bb gun real bad & seems to be perversely interested in what it would be like to kill a chipmunk or twenty with one.

My dogs have a preference for Cherokee Purple tomatoes (ripe) over all the other tomatoes. They drool when I'm cutting them.

tracydr July 13th, 2011 11:34 PM

Made a huge pot of vegetable soup tonight. Lots of zucchini, patty pan and tomatoes involved!

WillysWoodPile July 14th, 2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini Jim (Post 797209)
snip There is a lot of weeding to do...

I know, I know... I'll get right on it!

lalbers July 14th, 2011 01:49 PM

Della was barking in the back yard last night- this morning I know why- deer was in my garden last night- nothing to eat for them yet, but it KNOCKED OVER MY CORN!!!!! I have to work the next 3 days down in the city, but I'll replant some when I get back home- maybe, just maybe get some.

Train July 14th, 2011 02:28 PM

Ya

RIGHT NOW???
Not doing a thing now.
Right now, my garden is a grave yard.
My garden died with the
start of 100 degree days.

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/l.../HOTHOTHOT.gif
The only thing growing now is
Brussels sprouts, celery, cabbage and okra.
Peppers are still producing but who knows
for how long.
Not even thinking about maters at this time.
That's for next spring.
You know, December 1.
Heheh
Train

WillysWoodPile July 14th, 2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Train (Post 797569)
Ya

RIGHT NOW???
Not doing a thing now.
Right now, my garden is a grave yard.
My garden died with the
start of 100 degree days.

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/l.../HOTHOTHOT.gif
The only thing growing now is
Brussels sprouts, celery, cabbage and okra.
Peppers are still producing but who knows
for how long.
Not even thinking about maters at this time.
That's for next spring.
You know, December 1.
Heheh
Train

Sorry to hear that Train.

TastyofHasty July 14th, 2011 05:03 PM

Waiting for Stewart's Zeebest okra to stop putting out leaves and branches and get on with the OKRA??

I think I'll dilute the last of my stinky deer spray and spray some more tonight. A couple days ago I watched a small herd of about 4 or 5 deer looking all slumped down and disappointed and grumpy ... walking along in the pasture next to the garden. :D Yee haw!

Sungold IL July 14th, 2011 05:43 PM

Killing more squash bugs and squash bug eggs...

bdebonee July 14th, 2011 06:25 PM

Harvesting and watering. =)

Finally the easy part of the year.

Water, feed, and reap the fruits of my labor.

Sungold IL July 14th, 2011 08:05 PM

I also pulled my pea plants... it was time...

WillysWoodPile July 16th, 2011 09:06 AM

I'm hoping that somebody else will weed them.

ricksroots July 17th, 2011 10:34 AM

Not a lot. My raised beds have been surprisingly free of weeds all year. I'm in the mode where all I do right now is pick stuff and water stuff. =) I'm about ready to harvest some eggplant, though, that's exciting.

gixxerific July 17th, 2011 12:02 PM

I'm with Rikcsroots, I'm just enjoying t6he bountiful year thanking mother nature that it isn't a repeat of last year which was horrid on all accounts.:D

Beet Greens July 17th, 2011 12:46 PM

Right this minute I'm eating green beans...and they are pretty yummy. After lunch I should go thin some beets though.

Minderella83 July 17th, 2011 03:05 PM

I got rid of some of my tomato plants, watching my eggplant and watermelon grow. I have more eggplant getting ready for fall garden.

tracydr July 17th, 2011 05:11 PM

Getting rid of the nasty Chiquilteberries. I rounded up the four week old delinquent chicks and put them in the new coop. Detention hall for them! I built a fence around the tomatoes and need to figure out how to fence the sprawling squash before letting the juvies back out of detention. I also have two dead tomatoes today that need pulling, my first this year. Will need to plan funeral. Services this evening.
Also this evening, will spray my long beans and lemon cucumber with peppermint castille soap solution. Plain water spray blasting just isn't working. I've been spraying with water for two weeks, lace wing larva and praying mantis have shown up but still have too many aphids really worried about spraying with soap in this heat so I'll mist in the morning with some water to simulate "dew".

ricksroots July 17th, 2011 09:06 PM

I'm thinking of what I'm going to grow and not grow next year.

For example, I did not like the mississippi silver cowpeas - too starchy. I also liked the bush beans I grew last year better than the kentucky wonder pole beans I grew this year. I will NOT plant the "Jelly Beans Hybrid" tomatoes again.. the grape tomatoes, and I'm going to stick with the cherry tomatoes... the supersweet 100s were nice but I might throw a sweetie (heirloom) for next year too.

Etc.

peapicker July 18th, 2011 12:19 PM

Picked butterbeans/limas,field peas,tomatos and daylily seeds.
We finally got rain and every thing is looking better
It is surprisig though how the weeds can take off and overwhelm you after a rain.

tracydr July 18th, 2011 04:34 PM

I need to eat some eggplants tonight. Seems like we can not keep ahead of eggplants and they aren't even really doing that much yet. I wonder what I could use dried eggplant for? Sure wish I could can it.
It's giving more than the squash and I only have two plants. They are going on three years old. I really thought they would poop out by now but they seem to be getting bigger and stronger all the time!
Lost 5 tomatoes and 4 chiquilteberries ( not crying over the nasty Chiquilteberries) yesterday to some wilt disease with white mold in the dirt. Very scary, seems to be spreading rapidly through the soil. I drenched the rest of the plants with Daconil, even though I try to stay organic. Not sure what to do with the big moldy patch. Maybe a 10% bleach drench?
Think I'll plant some corn there and then use the garden for garlic, onions and brassicas over the winter, just in case it's Southern Blight.
Can't believe how fast it took off and spread! One day and the plants just wilted and died!

Minderella83 July 18th, 2011 05:45 PM

Tracydr,

Are you saying your eggplants are 3 yrs old? I thought eggplants died in the winter time. If they continue to grow yr after yr, I am in trouble. I started new seedlings about a month ago and will have too many plants. I have 5 eggplant plants now.

Direct Sunlight July 19th, 2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minderella83 (Post 799729)
Tracydr,

Are you saying your eggplants are 3 yrs old? I thought eggplants died in the winter time. If they continue to grow yr after yr, I am in trouble. I started new seedlings about a month ago and will have too many plants. I have 5 eggplant plants now.

If you get freezing weather, then they will die. They don't like frost at all. If you don't, I don't know what they do. Mine continued to produce into the first week of December one year; so I know they can keep going for at least 8 months plus.

grapenut July 19th, 2011 01:09 AM

Pepper plants are the same way, as long as they don't get too cold, they just keep on going.

gardeninggrammy July 19th, 2011 09:14 AM

I'm pulling the stuff that is dying out/slowing down to make room for the fall planting. Looks like today's a good day. Its hot and humid but overcast. Yesterday that sun was stinging me, it was so hot.

Pool Boy July 19th, 2011 10:40 AM

Gonna let my beans dry up for seeds to use next year. After that, I'll pull 'em out & may plant a few radishes & lettuce to head into the fall with.

Tomatoes are just beginning to ripen, so I'm looking forward to enjoying some tasty goodness later this week. Hope to make some salsa real soon, too!

Desert Rat July 19th, 2011 12:37 PM

Trying to get the drip system and timer tweaked just right so we can leave town for a week and not come home to dead and gone.

GennyL July 20th, 2011 09:26 AM

-1 YUK

tracydr July 20th, 2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minderella83 (Post 799729)
Tracydr,

Yes. Three years old. I cover them with blankets when it freezes and they are in the warmest spot next to my house. Baked in the summer and toasty in the winter. I get eggplant for about nine months a year!
Peppers will last for years, too. I had two year old peppers and an irrigation incident killed them last summer. I lost some habaneros this winter to freeze but last year's jalapeño made it so it's now over a year old and 5 feet tall. They get big trunks!
The winter that my habaneros produced all winter they turned into sweet habaneros which was really funny. They were delicious, tiny and not at all spicy.

Minderella83 July 20th, 2011 11:43 AM

I have a couple of eggplant plants in containers, thinking of bringing them in when a freeze or frost is due. I live in florida and only freezes maybe 1-2 wks a year. I also have some jalapenos in a containter, thinking of up potting them. What does it mean when they turn red?

skippydel13KYzone6 July 20th, 2011 11:52 AM

I've pulled my onion and curing them, still getting beans, tomatoes are just coming on, peppers coming on big time, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage are all gone, garlic is pulled and cured and just waiting for more squash and the cantaloupe and upper ground sweet potato squash to make fruit, need to dig potatoes and then I'll be putting in more broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower (rabbits got my last sets I put in), planting some bush beans and soon my fall greens. (and in my head already planning next year's placement of things in my garden to get more grown in my space)

Direct Sunlight July 20th, 2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minderella83 (Post 800660)
I have a couple of eggplant plants in containers, thinking of bringing them in when a freeze or frost is due. I live in florida and only freezes maybe 1-2 wks a year. I also have some jalapenos in a containter, thinking of up potting them. What does it mean when they turn red?

Red means eat them right away. Most people try to pick them before that, which is hard to do since they are green. Color change on most crops is a welcome thing.

Sorellina July 20th, 2011 12:35 PM

Ciao all-

Right now, it's all about the water. This humid heat without any rain has been pretty brutal. It feels like Houston, but it's Toronto. I'm just trying to keep myself and my garden as hydrated as possible until the heatwave subsides. I'll have lots of weeds, I'm sure, but there's no way I'm putting energy into weeding in this heat.

ricksroots July 22nd, 2011 09:28 AM

The forecast high today for Raleigh is 103 degrees. It's extremely rare that the forecast ever calls for "lower 100s". "High near 100" or "High around 100" yes.. but never "lower 100s". Hottest temperature on record at RDU airport is 105.

Oy.

GOD BLESS THE SOUTH!

I just have to keep telling myself how relatively tolerable it is here in the winter with average highs bottoming out at 49 degrees =)

Gemini Jim July 22nd, 2011 09:58 AM

Rick, we're in the same boat. It's 91 with a 104 heat index right now (9:50am!) at BWI, and forecast today is for 103. Could be worse: could be 117 in Afghanistan avoiding bombs.

I hope I get some time to do some watering this afternoon. If not it will happen early tomorrow morning. I've still got some tomatoes ripening, but flowering has stopped for now. Squash are doing their afternoon wilty thing, but are fine by morning. This morning I saw some squash bees crowding into the male flowers. So far not too many females.

Looking forward to cooler temps Sunday, and hopefully not too much rain. I plan to dig up all the rest of the taters, turn over the beds, and put down some buckwheat seed.

Sungold IL July 22nd, 2011 10:33 AM

Looks like I won't have to water-- but I'm really hoping I don't lose power. This storm coming in looks nasty.

This morning I prepped the garden for it -- made sure things were stake up, etc. Hope I did okay.

Mulligan Man July 22nd, 2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sungold IL (Post 801798)
Looks like I won't have to water-- but I'm really hoping I don't lose power. This storm coming in looks nasty.

We got 3.5" of rain out of it if it make you feel any better.

Sungold IL July 22nd, 2011 08:46 PM

Apparently parts of IL got that much too... though I don't think I got half that. But we didn't lose power.

springfever July 22nd, 2011 09:49 PM

I'm still watering like crazy every evening. I just pulled up the rest of the Amana Orange. The plants died and I didn't get one ripe tomato off it. Now the Cherokee purple are doing the same. It
was so disappointing but I know it happens. Lost the squash too. I still have a couple eggplants and a few pepper plants and there are tomato plants in big tubs.
I think I'm going to try and plants some butternut and acorn squash if I can find some seeds. I know it's late but as hot as it is , if I water every evening, it might be ok. I've never grown any fall gardens before.

ricksroots July 23rd, 2011 08:21 AM

It topped out officially at 103 yesterday. Forecast for 102 today and 100 tomorrow.

:(

Sungold IL July 23rd, 2011 08:55 AM

Well, I don't have to water today. I think we got another 2.5 inches overnight, with more to come.

Billy B July 23rd, 2011 09:42 AM

Our garden is burning up the tomatoes are going to be a near total loss. Had good onions and garlic and not dto bad potatoes. Okra is looking well still
and we have some fine peppers but the tomatoes have had it!

Texas Kenny July 24th, 2011 08:01 AM

Planting Top Pick Purple Hulls. I sow, and lay drip tape to get them up in the foot deep dust. Weeds are a problem but just in the rows. They enjoy the irrigation water too. Think I will invest in some Treflan. They tell me Peas southern will come up right thru it.

Texas Kenny July 24th, 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minderella83 (Post 800660)

Jalapenos turn red when they are ripe

ricksroots July 24th, 2011 09:11 AM

We've now had four straight days of triple digit weather. Today's high is going to be 99 - we'll see!

So yeah, I'm gonna water again :)

Sungold IL July 24th, 2011 10:00 AM

Opposite of ricksroots, I'm waiting for the current round of rain to end... we've had a ton of rain since Friday, ending our big heat wave. Several more inches yesterday. I'm feeling for all of you with your heat!!!

pepperhead212 July 24th, 2011 10:02 AM

I have 4 valves on a timer to water my entire garden, and lately I have set it to do this twice a day! I went out VERY early, and picked what I could, but it is already 97º here at 10 AM, so I am doing nothing except observing...the weeds grow, for one.

While I was picking I realized how fast the weeds grew this week! It is supposed to get in the 80's for highs this week, so I'll be able to get out there with my weedwacker. Maybe I'll find something I forgot I planted! LOL

roper2008 July 24th, 2011 12:12 PM

I'm trying to work in my garden a little. It rained last night so
it is really humid. Can't stay out there very long. I'm looking
for baby monarch's on the milkweed so I can raise them. So far
I have 3. I have to find them before the predators. I'll be looking
again later.

Gemini Jim July 24th, 2011 04:23 PM

It was supposed to be cooler today. Temps topped out around 98. Cooler than yesterday, but still...

I'm diggin' taters anyway. So far I got a 4-gallon bucket full, I guess around 20 lbs, from one 10' row.

Also the usual stink bug patrol, and starting to save seeds from cosmos and burdock.