IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Drew Dubious June 6th, 2011 08:54 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Eatin strawberries!

Beet Greens June 6th, 2011 09:25 PM

I'm jealous...my strawberries...and there are zillions this year...are as yet devoid of any hint of redness. My mouth waters every time I walk by the bed.

wjdavis1 June 6th, 2011 10:36 PM

To day is June 6. Having a late frost to kill most of my plants not in the cabbage family, I'm continuing to plant tomatoes (and start more seedlings), and other things, but have my melons all out, squash, green beans, some tomatoes which the rabbits have not eaten. I was told I was wasting my time on starting any more tomatoes (brandywine and roma's), they won't have time to produce? Am I too late?

daylilydude June 6th, 2011 10:59 PM

Prayin all this heat doesn't kill everything...

SherylGallant June 7th, 2011 05:24 AM

Hoeing. Tuesdays are "Hoe Day"...

Drew Dubious June 7th, 2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjdavis1 (Post 778711)
To day is June 6. Having a late frost to kill most of my plants not in the cabbage family, I'm continuing to plant tomatoes (and start more seedlings), and other things, but have my melons all out, squash, green beans, some tomatoes which the rabbits have not eaten. I was told I was wasting my time on starting any more tomatoes (brandywine and roma's), they won't have time to produce? Am I too late?

Sorry to hear it... I can sympathise, I lost all of my squash n melon n beans to the xtra moist weather. Onwards and upwards tho!

TastyofHasty June 7th, 2011 11:20 AM

wjdavis, I once direct seeded two rows of white cherry tomatoes in July; they produced really well and were very much worth it. I'm not a big 'mater expert; but I think cherry tomatoes produce earlier than full size tomatoes. Brandywines and Romas? Don't know. You can also start plants from cuttings of the tomato "suckers," that would be faster than starting from seed. I've just stuck them in straight damp perlite in light shade, keep damp and they will make roots.

Last few days, I've just been watering. Oh yeah, picked Manchurian apricots for the first time. Have picked a few blueberries. Picking lettuce. I'm thinking of picking a lot of parsley this morning, tabbouleh! ... except the green onions are getting kind of tough.

Backyard Homesteader June 7th, 2011 11:22 AM

I am just laying back chillaxin. In the 90's today so me and the ac are being buddie's today!

starsprouts June 7th, 2011 04:22 PM

Pulling weeds and waiting for my last batch of seedlings (pumpkins and sunflowers) to poke their heads up. Sugar snaps are about ready to harvest, the surviving pole beans I attempted to transplant are producing well and being allowed to go to seed for next year, potatoes are flowering, and tomatoes and volunteer squash/pumpkins have tiny fruits on them. There is more lettuce than I can possibly eat or give away, but at least it's pretty. I still need to get the second half of the deer fence up and replant the peppers that the groundhog destroyed.

Amalgamate June 7th, 2011 05:08 PM

I picked a few things today - cucumbers, yellow squash, sweet banana pepper, jalapeno, and 1 fake jalapeno (looks like one but isn't hot). I was surprised the fake jalapeno actually taste good.
I'm trying to protect my poor cucumber plants as much as I can from this drought and 90+ degree heat, but they're wilting horribly.

SherylGallant June 7th, 2011 07:19 PM

I did harvest lots of spinach and rhubarb today! Both went into the freezer. I have almost enough rhubarb to make 5 gallons of wine!

Prairie Princess June 7th, 2011 11:03 PM

I have sprouts!:D

Jamie733 June 9th, 2011 07:45 PM

I went crazy with the pepper plants this year! I had 27 but gave away 6. I've got all of them in pots spread throughout the garden. I've also got Dragon Tongue beans, Purple Podded pole beans, White Queen tomatoes, Paul Robeson Tomatoes, Chocolate Stripe tomatoes, Snow White Carrots, Cream of Saskatchewan Watermelon, Golden Honeymoon Melon, Du Berry Butternut Squash, and Crostata Romanesco Zucchini. =) The Du Berry Butternut Squash has very beautiful deep green leaves with white veins.

JanR June 9th, 2011 09:41 PM

I have still hardly planted anything and I'm getting really depressed. I have already written off potatoes and probably corn. All I have in the ground is 10 tomatoes and 5 cabbages and couple 10' rows of pole beans and I keep wondering if I am wasting my time. Lake Manitoba is till rising. It used to be a mile away and now it is only 1/4 mile away. They say that the lake will keep rising until the middle of July. The ground is pretty flat here. There is going to be another big rain storm next week. I am really getting worried. What do I do? Plant anyway and hope for the best or just give up. The grass hasn't been cut yet and is a foot high in places. How will we ever cut it if the ground dries out enough. I am praying for a drought. Anyone want some water. :)

TastyofHasty June 10th, 2011 10:32 AM

Oh if only you COULD send water from there to here.

I haven't done much about the garden, picked some parsley, water here and there, was going to plant cowpeas but it's so dry, and I've got a lot of beans coming so decided not.

I need to make myself get out there and water! Something about droughty weather makes me dole out water like it's gold.

Drew Dubious June 10th, 2011 11:09 AM

I just took in a good 7lbs of strawberries! :cool:

robinredchick June 10th, 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanR (Post 780375)
I have still hardly planted anything and I'm getting really depressed. I have already written off potatoes and probably corn. All I have in the ground is 10 tomatoes and 5 cabbages and couple 10' rows of pole beans and I keep wondering if I am wasting my time. Lake Manitoba is till rising. It used to be a mile away and now it is only 1/4 mile away. They say that the lake will keep rising until the middle of July. The ground is pretty flat here. There is going to be another big rain storm next week. I am really getting worried. What do I do? Plant anyway and hope for the best or just give up. The grass hasn't been cut yet and is a foot high in places. How will we ever cut it if the ground dries out enough. I am praying for a drought. Anyone want some water. :)

YES!!!! We do! I figure at some point all this water that is flooding states around us may spill over into Oklahoma, it maybe the only way we get any water this summer.

robinredchick June 10th, 2011 11:58 PM

I have been watching the broccoli grow in upper 90 degree heat, for a whole week now. Every day I watch for signs of bolting but alas, none.... yet!
Strange the way all the plants adapt or don't as this case maybe!

Drew Dubious June 11th, 2011 06:24 PM

Cucumbers and 2nd bean crop in! Also picked up a load of leafmold! It was a good day!

MVNewf June 11th, 2011 07:08 PM

I blanched another 4 Quart freezer bags of of Kale, 2 more Swiss Chard and 1 of Mustard Greens....snow peas and ground cherries and coming in like gang busters now....I have 26 summer squash plants growing ( 8 different kinds) and they are starting to have mini squashes, I'am getting scared with all these squash plants:eek: luckily none are growing in my main garden!!!!

JanR June 12th, 2011 09:55 AM

Yesterday, I transplanted another 10 tomato plants and some zucchini. Despite the fact that they are in a raised bed, the soil was very wet. Hopefully the roots won't rot. :( I want to plant more tomatoes today as well as some broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. I have almost finish two new raised beds on the north side of the house. I just have to add more soil, peat moss and manure. Hopefully I will get that done today and then I can plant more tomatoes in one bed and miscellaneous greens in the other.

Still hoping that the lake won't rise too much and flood us out.

Horsea June 13th, 2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanR (Post 781465)
Yesterday, I transplanted another 10 tomato plants and some zucchini. Despite the fact that they are in a raised bed, the soil was very wet. Hopefully the roots won't rot. :( I want to plant more tomatoes today as well as some broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. I have almost finish two new raised beds on the north side of the house. I just have to add more soil, peat moss and manure. Hopefully I will get that done today and then I can plant more tomatoes in one bed and miscellaneous greens in the other.

Still hoping that the lake won't rise too much and flood us out.

Considering the horrible weather + your potential flooding, I would say you have had a whole s***load of faith to do all that planting, still building raised beds. I built my last one today, a wee thing, 2' X 3', and only 8" high, out of little red & white bricks. Cute as a button. Shovelled some so-so soil into it and made the sign of the cross over it for good luck with the Iceberg lettuce seeded therein.

Flea beetles having fun with the turnip tops but in my experience when the plants get larger things improve.

Keeping my fingers crossed over the somewhat sick-looking tomatoes.

Seeded some shoepeg corn in a clump just for fun, it'll never ripen here, but what the hey! It's up, 1 inch "tall".

14 potato plants (German Butterball & Adora)) doing well, healthy looking & about 1 ft. tall.

Well, Jan, let's wait and see what we're harvesting in September. It's anyone's guess, that is for sure. :D

Prairie Princess June 13th, 2011 12:13 AM

Barring a catastrophe, I'm 95% done planting. I say 95% because I never really finish.:D

Now if everything will sprout, I'll be in good shape. Trying broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts from seed. Never done that before.

Also built a little toad garden under the swamp cooler today.

Drew Dubious June 13th, 2011 11:36 AM

Turnips!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...0613111106.jpg

Maeve June 13th, 2011 11:49 AM

Nice Drew!!!

We put in tomato stakes this morning and mixed up about 20 gallons of fish emulsion to feed the tomotoes and peppers. Needless to say, I stink! :D

Sungold IL June 13th, 2011 12:40 PM

I am going to be mulching the pathways around my raised beds.

Horsea June 13th, 2011 12:42 PM

Drew, I don't know how the heck you grow such lovely turnips without their getting seriously eaten by all kinds of different insects. I've not had your luck (or is it your technique).

Drew Dubious June 13th, 2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsea (Post 782019)
Drew, I don't know how the heck you grow such lovely turnips without their getting seriously eaten by all kinds of different insects. I've not had your luck (or is it your technique).

Haw, don't let me fool yah. I prolly only have around 30% market quality. those are just some of the nice ones. I still have to take care of some wire worms and some borers ( i think ). The chewed up ones go into veggie broth! :D

ricksroots June 13th, 2011 04:45 PM

Nothing today but watering. I did buy a new hanging basket at the Farmers Market (along with an eggplant, some yellow squash, blueberries, and sweet corn).

Horsea June 13th, 2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sungold IL (Post 782017)
I am going to be mulching the pathways around my raised beds.

What do you use for mulch?

Moi, I put many layers of newspapers between the beds, then freshly mown grass clippings on top (they are moist & heavy and won't blow away and by the time they dry, they have kind of embedded themselves).

Maeve June 13th, 2011 05:11 PM

i decided to throw some lettuce seed in a bin and see what happens . . . i think it's too hot now, but maybe I'll have some luck! Also added some chives to a pot and some dill. Don't know if they'll do anything though :D No harm in trying!

Prairie Princess June 13th, 2011 09:50 PM

Praying that tomorrow mornings damage assessment, isn't to bad after tonight's hail storm. I had spent the weekend getting 95% done. Now, who knows.

Beet Greens June 13th, 2011 10:05 PM

Good luck, Prairie Princess

Prairie Princess June 13th, 2011 10:20 PM

The plants will probably be ok, but all the seeds I planted? Time will tell. Funny about nature, it sometimes has a habit of proving us wrong. WE had a horrid storm last year, right after the 4th of July. Hail, wind, and 6 inches of rain in a few hours. The garden survived. It was a a bit slow coming back, but I still got plenty of veggies. And our alfalfa, that we figured was gone, grew like a weed thanks to the neighbors fertilizer that flooded our field!

Pretty much a **** shoot, and we're just starting the stormy season here.

TXDirtDog June 13th, 2011 10:21 PM

+1 on the good luck wishes Prairie Princess.

Put up a tarp hooked into the Florida weave poles to try to get some sun relief for the maters. It physically hurts to be out in the middle of the day. Need to do more tarping for squash beds and more in the mater rows.

Prairie Princess June 13th, 2011 10:35 PM

The plants will probably be ok, but all the seeds I planted? Time will tell. Funny about nature, it sometimes has a habit of proving us wrong. WE had a horrid storm last year, right after the 4th of July. Hail, wind, and 6 inches of rain in a few hours. The garden survived. It was a a bit slow coming back, but I still got plenty of veggies. And our alfalfa, that we figured was gone, grew like a weed thanks to the neighbors fertilizer that flooded our field!

Pretty much a **** shoot, and we're just starting the stormy season here.

blackberrygrl June 13th, 2011 10:48 PM

Pulling up the 1,001 volunteer tomato (I'm blaming Matt's Wild Cherry) plants out of the ground.

Prairie Princess June 14th, 2011 07:57 AM

Well, my plants are a little raggedy and beat up. but as long as we don't get too much more hail, they'll pull through. 1 1/2 inches of rain. I was out mulching my raspberries and watched the storm blow in. The wind was blowing from the east, which is weird around here, and the storm came out of the northwest. That is always a bad combination around here. I guess it hailed a lot worse in town 8 miles away. Broken windows in houses and such. Wonder how the skylights at work held up?

chickweed June 14th, 2011 08:11 AM

I just stumbled upon a garbage bag full of instant milk packages! Sprinkling a pack of it around every mater, squash, eggplant, etc until it runs out. Great source of calcium for spot treating!

Maeve June 14th, 2011 08:18 AM

what I'm doing for my garden today . . . going to work, so I have enough money to buy more fish emulsion! lol

Gemini Jim June 14th, 2011 09:01 AM

I'm at work starting to shop online for more seeds. Taters will be coming out of the ground soon, so gotta have something to plant! ;) Will be trying daikon and collard greens. Also want to get my fall order in to SESE for potato onions before they sell out. Maybe I'll throw some more garlic and perennial leeks in the cart while I'm there. Is it too late for a couple okra plants? Hmmm, maybe zucchini is a good nurse plant for collards...

The other night we got a thundershower that delivered about 1-1/2 " of rain in under 15 minutes. The 10'x10'x18" future rain garden (aka "The Pit") refilled after 3 weeks of drying out. I expect those ducks back any time now...

Stupice has phenomenal fruit set, just waiting for a little color. Hickory king corn is pushing 6' with no sign of stopping. Thai chilis are flowering away and starting to set fruit. Mouse melons (sour gherkins) are climbing the chicken wire. So far I've only seen female flowers so no joy on the tiny melon-cukes yet, but there are tons of itty-bitty buds.

Peas are nearly spent, and it hasn't helped that I've left several pods to go to seed. More planting space coming right up...

GreenGal June 14th, 2011 09:42 AM

Jim..what do you mean tomatoes are coming out of the ground soon? I keep mine in the ground until a frost or two hit. Shouldn't they produce that long? and what is a "nurse plant"?

Gemini Jim June 14th, 2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenGal (Post 782442)
Jim..what do you mean tomatoes are coming out of the ground soon? I keep mine in the ground until a frost or two hit. Shouldn't they produce that long? and what is a "nurse plant"?

LOL! Taters not maters!

"Nurse plant" is an idea from plant ecology where a fast-growing plant provides a refuge from too much sun, heat, wind, whatever to help a slower-growing plant germinate and become established. By the time the second plant needs the space, the first will have completed its life cycle.

TastyofHasty June 14th, 2011 02:44 PM

I got potatoes! So thrilling, like one of those penny hunts for kids ... scrabbling under the dirt for nice smooth rounded potatoes! Now I know why potatoes were such a big deal when they got introduced from the New World! :D

Gemini Jim, just read your post ... oh, so now the potatoes are done, it's time to plant something else there. hmm.

tracydr June 14th, 2011 04:43 PM

Moved the four week old Banties to a makeshift pen next to the tomatoes. They are so tiny! Had to completely cover the pen, as they are learning to fly. Just as I was finishing up, I found my papillon in the middle of the pen, she found a way to sneak under. Those little guys are a little too tiny for me to trust them alone with her still, so I had to beef up the bottom.
By that time, I was about to have a heat stroke, so I'm inside cooling off. I hate AZ summer weather!
While I'm cooling off, maybe I'll look into ordering my fall garlic. Hoping to get some creole and other good southern types, something more interesting than the store-bought stuff that I usually plant. And,go ahead and complete my BC fall seed order.
I also need to start my celery and artichoke seeds. Just bought some violet artichoke seeds.
Making squash blossom soup and bloody mary's tonight, all from the garden! Even the garlic, herbs and peppers. Except the onions and carrots. My carrots were tiny and I forgot to plant onions because I dint do much gardening last winter.
Still need to do some watering, pick tomatoes and tie up some tomato plants. I mulched my melons yesterday with some soiled rice hulls when I cleaned out the chicks and they aren't wilting in the heat like they have been. I'm sure they'll like the little bit of added fertilizer as well.
Anybody in the Midwest noticing all that smoke we're sending you from AZ? We've had some giant, horrible forest fires. The one up by Greer is the worst in AZ's history. I'm sure hoping we get to monsoon season soon and get some real rain. They said the humidity up in the mountains is between 1-2%, I've never heard of it so low! Between that and high winds, those four fires aren't going to go out any time soon.

SherylGallant June 14th, 2011 05:13 PM

Today is Tuesday, so I hoed. I also watered. I swear I am keeping the Tuesday hoeing schedule all summer! It really helps me to keep up with it, not that there is a lot to do. It tooke me less than an hour to do it all this morning. I spent the rest of the morning watering. Not raining this week at all!

I also planted out a few ground cherry seedlings.

tracydr June 14th, 2011 05:21 PM

Sheryl, I tried to plant out ground cherries the last two weeks but I think they were too tiny to handle the heat. Those and my two varieties of eggplant all withered and died, despite daily watering and some shade. Most of the basil made it.
I have some more ground cherry seedlings, pineapple variety, so I'm going to let them get a bit bigger, maybe repot a couple of times before trying again.
I guess I'll start some more eggplant seeds and it can go in with fall tomatoes. They grow pretty fast here and I really don't need any right now as I have two that are producing a ton. It's just that they are two years old and I jeep expecting them to poop out.
Besides, I wanted to try some new varieties, so I started Louisiana long green and Ping Tung long.

TXDirtDog June 14th, 2011 06:13 PM

I have had a tough time with the ground cherries and tomatillos in the raised bed as well. Had to up the watering schedule and they seem to be responding.

Today I sank a couple of 4X4's at the edge of one of the tomato rows to provide poles for another tarp over some of the tomatoes. Tied it in with the Florida weave supports. 2' down, and it was still dry powdered clay. Usually at 2', water begins seeping into the hole. :(

Used seaweed emulsion on the tomatoes, hoping it gives them some heat resistance.

I did get to pick the first true pumpkin today. Nice bright orange. A little feller. Probably a sugar pumpkin - it was a volunteer. :)

Oh and I watered, watered, watered!

VA Gardener June 15th, 2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini Jim (Post 782419)
Also want to get my fall order in to SESE for potato onions before they sell out. Maybe I'll throw some more garlic and perennial leeks in the cart while I'm there.

Don't wait too long to place your order. They do run out of their perennial onions. I got mine from them last fall, and am very pleased with the harvest. I am thinking about trying their perennial leeks. We will have to swap some notes later. :)

tracydr June 15th, 2011 05:18 PM

Watered today. It's just too hot today, our hottest day, yet. 107 predicted this afternoon. I think I lost some of my little tomato seedlings, they were looking so good and today they were totally wilted. I quickly soaked them in water and pulled them into deeper shade, some of them popped back but not all. I almost lost my aji dolce seedlings, which took three months and multiple tries to get germinated. I pulled my seedling stand back into the full shade until this weather breaks or everything is ready to plant out.
I need to start planting a few of the slower fall starters inside but I think I'll take a gardening break and play catch up on house/dog work. My papillon smells like a chicken for some reason, maybe because she's decided to eat and live with them?
Sometime this week, I'm sure I'll have enough tomatoes to can small batch of spaghetti sauce. I'm going to experiment with using the crock pot overnight. I have around ten-fifteen pounds in the freezer (used a bunch for fresh sauce and bloody mary's) so I'm waiting another couple of days for maybe a total of twenty five pounds.

Gemini Jim June 16th, 2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA Gardener (Post 783164)
Don't wait too long to place your order. They do run out of their perennial onions. I got mine from them last fall, and am very pleased with the harvest. I am thinking about trying their perennial leeks. We will have to swap some notes later. :)

Just got it in today. Yellow potato onions, perennial leeks, and Chesnok Red garlic. :D

Trisha June 16th, 2011 10:10 AM

It's almost 100 degrees so the lettuce, carrots, beets, and turnips are in my fridge or compost pile. 'Maters are coming in, something stole my Asian pears and browsed the tree, fire blight took out one apple tree, and the blackberries are almost finished. Right now I am digging up plants along one side of the house because a crew is jacking up that side next week- it sunk a couple of inches. While it's too hot to garden I am planning the crops that go in at the end of July.

Prairie Princess June 16th, 2011 10:22 PM

Hailed again tonight. My poor garden is going backwards.

Drew Dubious June 18th, 2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie Princess (Post 783970)

:(:(:(

robinredchick June 20th, 2011 10:48 AM

Watering, Watering, and more watering!!! and praying lots for rain! But all in all, my garden is still growing. I am using some crushed tobacco leaves I grew last year in combination with hot pepper and garlic spray to keep the bugs off and it seems to be working!

bdebonee June 20th, 2011 05:35 PM

Fed bonemeal and mulched most of the garden today. Didn't water the zucchini. Gotta repair a fence.

:/

watered also, except the mentioned above.

I got pooped out. lol. Still trying to keep the bunnies and birds away...

bdebonee June 20th, 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie Princess (Post 783970)

You can look forward to a comeback! :o

Sungold IL June 20th, 2011 06:22 PM

I ate my first cherry tomato from the garden today!!! :)

I also harvested a pound of Swiss chard, and some sugar snap peas, garlic scapes and a scallion for dinner...

bughunter99 June 20th, 2011 07:01 PM

Waiting for it all to dry out. AGAIN!

tracydr June 21st, 2011 05:15 PM

Waiting for rain and cooler weather. 111 tomorrow so I'm going to water well this afternoon. Looking at trying to get an indoor seedling setup to start fall veggies.

TXDirtDog June 21st, 2011 06:32 PM

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ening020-2.jpg

Doing things like this......

So things like this don't happen. :mad:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ening023-1.jpg

peapicker June 21st, 2011 08:58 PM

Good idea Tx
I think it is too late for mine
I did pick Butterbeans/limas,Southern Peas and Pole snap beans today and the last of the turnip greens
Getting a good rain now,hopefully it is not too late to salvage more vegies.

Direct Sunlight June 21st, 2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trisha (Post 783620)
It's almost 100 degrees so the lettuce, carrots, beets, and turnips are in my fridge or compost pile. 'Maters are coming in, something stole my Asian pears and browsed the tree, fire blight took out one apple tree, and the blackberries are almost finished. Right now I am digging up plants along one side of the house because a crew is jacking up that side next week- it sunk a couple of inches. While it's too hot to garden I am planning the crops that go in at the end of July.

I've still got carrots going but they're in shade 75% of the time. They are right next to the house. My corn was taking a beating from the heat before the rain rolled through.

Drew Dubious June 22nd, 2011 06:36 AM

Dug some early fingerlins lastnight! Yellow Russians! Gunna make tater salad this mornin. Been harvestin peas every other day and the maters are settin fruit! woo

tracydr June 22nd, 2011 11:11 AM

I think I need to build shade for my squash today. 114 predicted and they almost died yesterday when it reached 107. I sure don't want to lose my winter squash!

blackberrygrl June 25th, 2011 01:28 PM

Givin' my tomato blossoms a little sexy time together! Hahaha

gixxerific June 25th, 2011 04:01 PM

Curing garlic, waiting for the onions to be ready and way too much to say in just one thread.:p

chickweed June 25th, 2011 04:21 PM

Picking maters, cukes, zukes, squash, eggplant, herbs.....and the first fig of the season, today.

chickweed June 25th, 2011 04:51 PM

Sitting in lawn chairs, with a glass of wine.....watching these grow....
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...dens/005-4.jpg

tracydr June 25th, 2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXDirtDog (Post 786152)

Ouch. I wonder if I need to shade my kabocha and spaghetti squash? I have shade over my tomatoes but not the squash.
They are on the north of the corn, which is eight feet tall, so get some shade from that.

tracydr June 25th, 2011 05:18 PM

I planted some okra and tossed some basil seeds out. Not much hope for the basil in this heat but the okra should do fine.
Tomorrow, I need to set up some sort of indoor lights for my seedlings. I usually start my seeds on the porch but everything was dying in the heat, despite full shade.

Maeve June 25th, 2011 06:06 PM

looking good Chick! Wish I were as far along as you! :D

Little Minnie June 26th, 2011 08:43 PM

I am finally hooking up my drip irrigation to tomatoes, squash, melons and cucs on Tuesday. I sure hope I can do it!

ricksroots June 26th, 2011 10:46 PM

So, this weekend, I ripped out my last remaining zucchini after deciding it wasn't going to fruit anymore. I bought three bags of "Moo-nure" and a 2 cubic foot bag of garden soil in order to fill up the raised bed that the zucchini was in. It wasn't really "full". I planted one of my heirloom tomatoes near the pole beans, and then this morning I went to the farmers market and got a couple more zukes (Black Beauty) and a couple pickling cucumbers (variety unknown). I planted the two zukes and 5 of the cukes... the existing cuke vines are nearly done producing and will be pretty much done by the time the new cukes start vining up the trellis.

The NC State vegetable planting guide does not say that this is an acceptable time to plant cukes or zukes, so we'll see how it goes. I'm guessing that the summer is to hot for them. If that endsu p being the case, oh well.

I mulched the new zukes and cukes heavily with fresh grass clippings today (being careful not to get the clippings too close to the stems of the plants), and added more grass clippings to the tomato garden as well.

Today, we had BLTs for dinner, with our first ripe Big Beef tomato. It was delicious. Had to get lettuce at the store cuz I forgot to get some at the farmers market this morning (plus, it's way out of season here so they might not have had any anyway)

I also harvested the ripe copeas and we cooked them for dinner with our BLTs. Meh. Probably more suitable to go in some kind of soup.

Prairie Princess June 27th, 2011 08:13 AM

The yellow squash finally sprouted. Enjoying fresh green onions. Replanted 4 peppers and 5 tomatoes Saturday, that were lost in the last hail storm. Broc, caul, carrots finally sprouting.

Ping pong ball size hail Saturday night. Grr. Holes in the siding on the house, probably totaled the Suburban. Broke the bug shield on my truck. Etc. Etc.

tracydr June 27th, 2011 10:14 AM

Watering. Going to the store for garlic so that I can can my first big batch of tomatoes. Yeah!!! I have a freezer full, just begging to be canned. I also put ten bags of zucchini in the freezer yesterday and baked zucchini bread. So, since it's 115 today, I'm spending my day in a hot kitchen instead of a hot garden. Won't be too bad since I'll use the crockpot to make sauce, than boiling water bath.
I also need to pot up some of my seedlings so they can tolerate the few hours that I'm forcing them to get dappled sunlight while I figure out some sort of lighting system in the house for them. They have to get out in the heat a little anyway, or theyll never make it when I have to plant them out in August.

VA Gardener June 27th, 2011 10:32 AM

Finished harvesting my garlic. Not a bad haul for the first year growing. Can't wait to taste it.

bdebonee June 27th, 2011 11:55 AM

I'm trying to keep bunnies out. lol.

Tomatoes are setting fruit, just waiting for my first ripe one.
I'm a bit confused as to why many of you are having problems with
your fruit setting in this weather.

I live in the high desert, and we're getting 93-100 every day now, and my
tomatoes, zucchini, and armenian cucumbers are setting fruit just fine.

Maybe its because we have pretty much no humidity???

I don't know, but I go out every morning at anytime from 6-6:30 and give
the plants a nice rough shake. By doing this, I'm hoping I'm knocking the pollen
loose so they can be pollinated before the hot weather arrives for the day.

Can someone chime in?

I'm going to plant more melons and squash.

Trisha June 27th, 2011 12:25 PM

I found this about temperatures and tomatoes failing to set fruit:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/2001/080401.html

I learned this somewhere along the line. Small fruits, like cherry or paste tomatoes, can produce on a limited basis during this heat. People here in TX throw the plants out when they hit this point and plant new seedlings in mid-July, which mature and bear fruit just as the temperatures drop.

tracydr June 27th, 2011 05:36 PM

The okra I planted on Saturday has already sprouted! I think I may add some black sesame seed to that area, since it's in front of the house. I saw a picture of black sesame blooms and they were so pretty. Besides, sesame is about the most drought tolerant thing I could possibly plant and should be very heat tolerant as well. Black sesame is such a useful seed, I use it a lot on my breads. I never thought of growing my own sesame before until I happened upon an article about it recently. It's a all just one big science project going on around my house.
My big concern right now is keeping my chicks comfortable. I had one of my two week old americaunas die yesterday from the heat. That poor little chick. I feel so bad, having put those little guys outside with this heat, but with twenty five of them, they really needed some more space. The other varieties like the Fayoumis seem a bit more comfortable. The 6 week old Banties seem okay but the 6 week old jumbo old crosses are really suffering. I've spent the morning setting up fans and cooling stations for them. (rice hulls soaked in water for them to lay down on).
I may start adding some electrolytes and sodium bicarbonate to their water as some of my reading seems to indicate it can help. Poor babies, this next few days will be miserable, 115 everyday until Saturday!

Sungold IL June 27th, 2011 09:30 PM

My squash got too big and was overshadowing a pepper plant. But I picked the last of my lettuce, so I moved the pepper to where the lettuce was... hopefully it will like it better there.

GennyL June 27th, 2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracydr (Post 789088)
The okra I planted on Saturday has already sprouted! I think I may add some black sesame seed to that area, since it's in front of the house. I saw a picture of black sesame blooms and they were so pretty. Besides, sesame is about the most drought tolerant thing I could possibly plant and should be very heat tolerant as well. Black sesame is such a useful seed, I use it a lot on my breads. I never thought of growing my own sesame before until I happened upon an article about it recently. It's a all just one big science project going on around my house.
My big concern right now is keeping my chicks comfortable. I had one of my two week old americaunas die yesterday from the heat. That poor little chick. I feel so bad, having put those little guys outside with this heat, but with twenty five of them, they really needed some more space. The other varieties like the Fayoumis seem a bit more comfortable. The 6 week old Banties seem okay but the 6 week old jumbo old crosses are really suffering. I've spent the morning setting up fans and cooling stations for them. (rice hulls soaked in water for them to lay down on).
I may start adding some electrolytes and sodium bicarbonate to their water as some of my reading seems to indicate it can help. Poor babies, this next few days will be miserable, 115 everyday until Saturday!

I have no knowldge or experience with this but I'm sure some here do....when my Sibs were in AZ they spoke of "swap cooler's" all the time- what are they and would they help?

gixxerific June 28th, 2011 08:13 PM

Waiting impatiently for my BFTula's to ripen. And getting ready to try and plant some more pumpkin, squash, watermelon where my garlic was and where soon to be were my onions were.

Oh and drinking a beer for the garden. It's gotta help right?:D

Sungold IL June 28th, 2011 11:33 PM

Trying to kill the *#(&(#&$)# squash vine borer that I see flitting quickly around...

ricksroots June 29th, 2011 09:01 AM

We got an inch and a half of rain yesterday afternoon. I know we got more over night but I didn't check the rain gauge. It wasn't a significant amount, but it should make my lawn happy, and it filled up my rain barrel.

Gemini Jim June 29th, 2011 09:40 AM

Was gone for the weekend, and returned to see things developing nicely.

Out of ~35 'Hickory King' corn plants in the 3-sisters bed, all but ~4 are clearly over 6'. A few look to be topping the 10' mark and are starting to tassel. Pole beans are climbing the corn, and a volunteer sunflower is about to bloom. Various squashes and pumpkins are vining and starting to work their way through the jungle of corn, bolted radishes, zinnias, marigolds and pigweeds. I'm hoping this riot of plants is sufficiently confusing to the Notorious SVB, 'cause I can't get in there any more! :rolleyes: Pics to follow...

4 Stupice's were orange with green shoulders, and as the plant is laden with green fruit I picked them and brought them in. I'm eating the 1st one at my desk at work. Sweet little mater! :D

The Sugar Snap peas seem to have gotten a second wind; got a nice little batch for Monday dinner along with some Lacinato kale and some tiny heads of broccoli.

Potatoes and shallots are ready to harvest, hopefully by this weekend before we go out of town again. I plan to sow buckwheat in the wake of the taters, and at least some of that space will be the new garlic beds, maybe after throwing in a couple late zucchinis and maybe some more maters and a few more beans...

Edit: On second thought, following taters with maters probably isn't such a good idea. Hmmm, maybe collards...

Direct Sunlight June 30th, 2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sungold IL (Post 789171)
My squash got too big and was overshadowing a pepper plant. But I picked the last of my lettuce, so I moved the pepper to where the lettuce was... hopefully it will like it better there.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/larrys-hi...gie-tales.html

Squash is well-named, when it is growing fast...

WillysWoodPile June 30th, 2011 12:39 AM

Rototilling, rototilling, rototilling...

grapenut June 30th, 2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile (Post 790382)
Rototilling, rototilling, rototilling...

:D hehehe! yep! I know the drill.:eek::cool:

Gemini Jim June 30th, 2011 06:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of the 3-sisters garden, with peripheral tomatoes.

Overview. The plot is about 13' across, and now about 10' high:
Attachment 13236

Hickory King corn tasselling:
Attachment 13237

Russian Black, with radish flowers in foreground:
Attachment 13238

Stupice, with cosmos:
Attachment 13239

ricksroots June 30th, 2011 07:56 AM

Very nice!!!

RozieDozie June 30th, 2011 08:57 AM

Nice 3 sisters, Jim! I did a muchly modified version, as in no beans, so I don't guess it's really 3 sisters. Maybe 2 sisters?? :)

Gemini Jim June 30th, 2011 08:59 AM

Well I guess mine is more like 3 sisters and many cousins!

Desert Rat June 30th, 2011 01:28 PM

Just dumped a load of goat manure on a wide row and planned on tilling in and planting blackeyes and armenian cukes but threw out my back so that's on hold til further notice. My okra is finally coming out of a funk and taking off and the winter squash are putting on new runners and blooming again so hoping for a few more of them to set on. Can't hardly keep up with the white lebanese summer squash and seeing more baby melons everyday. The awful heat we're having isn't taking too much of a toll on anything except for the tomatoes, afraid they're done for now except for a few Tommy toes and Matinas. I'm never going to grow celebreties again, might as well buy from the store.

VA Gardener June 30th, 2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini Jim (Post 790492)
Well I guess mine is more like 3 sisters and many cousins!

Your "3 sisters and many cousins" garden is gorgeous!

tracydr June 30th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GennyL (Post 789175)
I have no knowldge or experience with this but I'm sure some here do....when my Sibs were in AZ they spoke of "swap cooler's" all the time- what are they and would they help?

They are an evaporative cooler. Sort of a simplified AC that uses evaporation to cool. It only works if it's very dry. A lot of large places like garages and arenas will use them because they are much less expensive to run, although they usually won't be able to cool as much, either. Where I train my dog has them and they're good until monsoon season, than it's too hot and humid and they don't work well.

tracydr June 30th, 2011 04:05 PM

Maybe because it's so much hotter here? I was getting fruit set until we climbed into the 105-115 in the daytime and 80-90s at night. Saturday will be 119. Now, even my eggplants and hot peppers have quit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdebonee (Post 788951)
I'm trying to keep bunnies out. lol.

Tomatoes are setting fruit, just waiting for my first ripe one.
I'm a bit confused as to why many of you are having problems with
your fruit setting in this weather.

I live in the high desert, and we're getting 93-100 every day now, and my
tomatoes, zucchini, and armenian cucumbers are setting fruit just fine.

Maybe its because we have pretty much no humidity???

I don't know, but I go out every morning at anytime from 6-6:30 and give
the plants a nice rough shake. By doing this, I'm hoping I'm knocking the pollen
loose so they can be pollinated before the hot weather arrives for the day.

Can someone chime in?

I'm going to plant more melons and squash.

bdebonee June 30th, 2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 790660)
Just dumped a load of goat manure on a wide row and planned on tilling in and planting blackeyes and armenian cukes but threw out my back so that's on hold til further notice. My okra is finally coming out of a funk and taking off and the winter squash are putting on new runners and blooming again so hoping for a few more of them to set on. Can't hardly keep up with the white lebanese summer squash and seeing more baby melons everyday. The awful heat we're having isn't taking too much of a toll on anything except for the tomatoes, afraid they're done for now except for a few Tommy toes and Matinas. I'm never going to grow celebreties again, might as well buy from the store.

What didn't you like about the celebrities?

I'm curious.

bdebonee June 30th, 2011 04:07 PM

Planted wax beans, corn, and more squash with my niece and nephew yesterday.

They love working in the garden with me. =)

I've got them addicted.

Had some business to handle this morning, but finally getting ready to go out and do a light
water since I did just water yesterday.

gotta do my best to keep the soil moist in this desert!

Desert Rat June 30th, 2011 07:45 PM

I did have good fruit set with the celebrities but pretty much all split pretty badly and the taste just isn't what I expect from a homegrown tomato. Could be the climate or my soil, I've tried them for 2 years now and want to try others.