IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

eagleheart April 12th, 2011 10:25 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Well someone told me to put a heating pad under them----but my husband won't take any advice ;( When he first planted them he didn't want to put plastic or a dome over the top of them---so they didn't start for a long time --- until I finally covered them with something :) But their just little skinny things right now :) I would like to build a cold frame to them in outside but I'm not sure that will get done this year or not.

grapenut April 12th, 2011 10:52 PM

are your plants by a window sill or under lights...or? sounds to me, that there starved for light.

tsteven1 April 13th, 2011 10:36 AM

Here's an interesting thing. I direct seeded a jalapeno in a container in early 2010. It grew and gave me peppers last year. And then, around early November 2010, I read in here that peppers can be brought in for the Winter. So I did that. And I put it back out last month. There was some 'dieback' on the leafs and branches, so I trimmed it back to what looked strong.
It's putting out some good leaf growth now, and I'll have some peppers again this year, I'll bet.
Tim

TastyofHasty April 13th, 2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Well someone told me to put a heating pad under them
If you read on iDig this (using "bottom heat") is done generally for peppers and tomatoes, either using a heating pad on the lowest setting or an official seed-starters' heat mat, until the weather outside heats up to "summer time." The newer heating pads are made so they turn off after a short time, though.

tsteven1 April 13th, 2011 11:42 AM

I just learned how to get pictures in my post so here is a shot of my 2010 container jalapeno, that overwintered inside, out in the sun getting its growth on for 2011.
Tim
http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/p...pictureid=5088

OneoftheEarls April 13th, 2011 12:38 PM

seedling maps....six pages :)

neeld April 13th, 2011 08:36 PM

It's been a killer of a week. Summer stuff starts going in at the end of the month and I've pounded more t-posts and strung more trellis than I care to remember.

Got most of my tomatoes potted up, I have about 100 more to go (they start going in the ground in about 2 weeks but it's going to take me a while to get them all in). I'm trying something different this year and going to do it like they do in a greenhouse with close spacing and training to 2 vines each, hence why there are so many. The rest are going to be donated to the neighborhood and community gardens around the area. The big ones in the back are in gallon grow bags and were seeded outside in January. They survived a couple of light frosts in February. The others were started indoors and moved outside after the first true leaves.
http://i.imgur.com/xFV9z.jpg

and about half of my peppers and eggplants (transplant to the field mid May)
http://i.imgur.com/XhBOF.jpg

Spent all week setting trellis for beans (300 feet) and getting everything ready for transplanting squash (70 hills of winter and 20 summer), cucumber, melons and watermelons (about 100 feet of hills each).

Oh, then there are these messy buggers. I'm hoping they will be part of my bug control plan but if they don't work out, well they supposedly taste like pheasant.
http://i.imgur.com/71P6W.jpg

Busy week.

Prairie Princess April 14th, 2011 08:10 AM

My garden is still a dream, some in little cups in the house, the rest waiting in seed packets for better weather. It's snowing.

RozieDozie April 14th, 2011 09:02 AM

Very nice, Neeld.

We have two BIG gardens and one still has the winter cover crop in place (needs to be tilled in) except for a 25' x 4' raised asparagus bed that we had to build in a hurry because the crowns were delivered too early. They're doing well, though, with lots and lots of sprouts.

The other garden is just about ready for planting; we will put in tomatoes and peppers this weekend. Hubs built the tomato trellises yesterday and finished tilling the peanut patch. Today I'm tilling a big patch for pole bean and cuke trellises and melons..... Hard work but fun, too.

css April 14th, 2011 09:10 AM

got all my peppers, tomatoes, pak choi and flowers in seed trays and tomatoes have been potter up once. my cold frame is holding about 225 lettuce heads in trays and the pak choi and 1 tray of tomatoes out there now (a little experiment)....getting excited to say the least.

Gemini Jim April 14th, 2011 09:37 AM

Transplanted tomatoes from egg cartons to newspaper pots. Mix is 50/50 peat/perlite with some organic fert blend I had sitting around: bone, blood, greensand, and lime. Watering from the fish pond.

Out in the garden, potatoes and peas are up and growing nicely. Garlic is getting tall and salsify has germinated well. I hope to get out there this weekend. Between my schedule and the rain it's been hard to keep up with thinning and weeding out the violets and creeping charlie! I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed once the nutsedge starts up!

After work I'll be sowing some burr gherkins and mouse melons in egg cartons to plant out in a couple weeks. I'm surprised at how small both types of seeds are, more like sesame seeds than cucurbits!

starsprouts April 14th, 2011 12:55 PM

I got to play with dirt yesterday! Potted up all my new tomato seedlings from their window greenhouse thingies into 3" peat pots and plastic cups. I moved the basil and chive seedlings out, too. Doing that made room for a whole bunch of new pepper seeds in hopes of having a few peppers this summer, since the seeds I planted earlier in the year, in an old set-up I've had, failed dismally. I moved some of the onion seedlings out, too, but I'm not sure where to put them. They seem to need a deeper container than what I have available, so I'm having people save milk jugs for me over the next few days and going to put the onions in those. I also got together with a few other people for a small seed swap. We all walked away happy, so I'll admit that I'm a bit proud of myself for putting it together. Lots of seeds that were going to go to waste now have loving homes, and the ones I got are all OP, so I hope to grow them out and save their plants seeds for next year. I also got a sage plant to replace mine that died out over the summer, but it was in a plastic bag with root sticking out everywhere, so I put it in a pot with some soil late last night.

Today I fertilized all the little babies since I ran out of time yesterday. I put 1 tbsp of Neptune's Harvest Seaweed and Fish in 1 gallon of water. The container had directions for houseplants and outdoor plants, but since these are outdoor plants currently inside...? I figured it was easier to add more later if necessary than to take it away, so I erred on the side of too little.

Today, once I get my less fun chores done around the house: Moving out the rest of the onions and planting all the new stuff I got last night.

Grow, plants, grow!

OneoftheEarls April 14th, 2011 01:10 PM

brought Kubota to the community garden...getting ready either for snow or tilling.

TastyofHasty April 14th, 2011 02:12 PM

Tilled in horse poo. I'm kinda POOPED. Heh.

Texas Kenny April 14th, 2011 10:58 PM

Harvested all the spinach for the market for the last time. Cut broccoli,cauliflower and cabbage, kohlrabi too. Bunched Scallions grown from set onions. Pulled some big spring onions grown from transplants. Tops are beginning to flop over. Walmart sells 3 good size bulbs in a bunch for $1.50. Still got lots of beets, carrots and turnips to bunch to get ready for the first Farmers Market of the season this Saturday. It is almost to hot for cool weather crops.
Strawberries are about to call it quits. Was our first time to grow strawberries and they did real well.
No rain yet so the irrigating is going nonstop. Weeds haven't been a real problem yet because it's so dry.
Aphids were a problem on almost everything with leaves. Once over with pyrethrin fixed that.
Irish Potatos are budding up and ready to bloom. Should be some new potatoes to grub out on in another week or so. I like them with snow peas.

bdebonee April 14th, 2011 11:03 PM

This week so far,

I've planted beans, sowed more lettuce, transplanted a few peppers, and started hardening off
my tomato starts. I wish I hadn't been so careless with my first batches of
maters. They'd be perfect starts to go in the ground. Sowed some summer squash and cucumbers
today. Going to start the melons soon. Weather is warming up nice and steady now.
I want to try the Minnesota Midget Melon. I also have the orangeglo watermelon and banana melon.
Hoping for plenty of melons this year :)

Tilled up some more garden space. Have ALOT more to do. My goal for this year is no less than 50 mater plants, no less than 35 pepper plants (if not more, I LOVE peppers), and no less than 35 bean plants.

I sowed some marigolds and a hummingbird/butterfly flower mixture. (I know its late, but hey, it can't hurt)

Watered the peas, spinach, radishes, echinacea, and the other row of lettuce.

I've been busy busy busy! Spring time is officially here and its wonderful weather. Mid 70s in the day and about 48-50 degrees at night. Also planted some potatoes.

Want to start my wax beans already. Need more garden space! My gpa jokes around that I should
have just gotten a tractor and tilled up our empty lot next door. My neighbor calls me "Farmer John". lol. I love it! Going to start more basil.

Picked up some hybrid toms today. Wasn't planning on doing anything besides heirloom toms this year, but I'd like some early tomatoes since I'm getting a late start on mine. They won't pollinate my others since they're still 5 day old sprouts.

Man, I still have so much to do! Gets me excited thinking about it!

Need to pot up my pepper sprouts.

ezzirah April 15th, 2011 07:12 AM

trying to keep my garden from dying in the drought and wind!

gardeninggrammy April 16th, 2011 11:01 AM

I got my cool weather veggies planted outside. Mixed lettuces, spinach, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli. Preparing the beds to get my beans and peas started. Dug up all of my strawberries to be replanted elsewhere. Built my potato boxes. I still have a heck of mess to clean up out there too!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...veggiesout.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Broccoli-1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...atoBoxes-1.jpg

TastyofHasty April 16th, 2011 07:53 PM

Planted Marengo Romano beans, Purple Pod Pole beans, Kentucky Wonder beans, Sonesta dwarf beans, garden huckleberry (big pot), fenugreek (big pot).

It's so nice just walking around and looking at everything.

Planted the Flame grapevine out by the arbor-to-be.

Gardeninggrammy, do you mix your soil in that big bathtub-size thing? And I have never seen broccoli planted in a hanging bucket!

bdebonee April 16th, 2011 08:25 PM

Got free compost today! =)

Waste management was giving away free compost, so I got about 50 gallons,
and about 30 gallons of mulch. It wasn't much, but every bit helps.

Tilled the soil where I will be planting my peppers and cowpeas.
Transplanted some more tomatoes into the garden. Transplanted more
peppers from jiffy pellets to cups. Will probably plant them out around May 10.

Started even MORE tomatoes and peppers. ;)

Going to start my winter squash tomorrow. Planted more flowers for my gpa
in my gma's (R.I.P) old flower bed.

My echinacea finally came up!!!! Took a whole month.

I can't wait to start growing my winter squash, this will be my first year
for winter squash.

Going to go sow some melons in some jiffy pots right now.

32bantam April 16th, 2011 08:31 PM

Got it tilled a couple of nights ago. It's rained and been windy today. Looks like I'm planting a good crop of maple trees from the looks of all the whirly birds in it now.

ezzirah April 17th, 2011 05:15 PM

All I did was water today. I got plants I am hardening off so next week I will be planting them.

Rumpleteazer April 17th, 2011 06:40 PM

Lots of frantic sowing of veg seed. Got loads going in the greenhouse and some out in the veg plot. Got some potatoes in already.

gardeninggrammy April 17th, 2011 10:25 PM

Tasty of Hasty .... That's a dented old horse trough that tractor supply practically gave me because it was so damaged. I save planting in it til last and use it to mix up my soils for the various buckets. I just moved my strawberries out of it and I'll plant my green beans in it this year. I've got one broccoli plant in each of the hanging buckets. They're really big and deep and I'm hoping they're big enough for one plant each. I've never tried them in a bucket before, but it can't hurt to try.

starsprouts April 17th, 2011 10:40 PM

Lots more painting today. Looks like I'm going to need one more can of paint to finish off the last of the job. I got three of my eventual nine raised beds in place and half filled with soil. The neighbor with the alpacas is actually going to come drop off a load of manure tomorrow or Tuesday with his tractor--he took pity on me because I've been trying to borrow a truck to no avail and was going to start carting it back and forth, up both of our steep driveways/roads, with my garden wagon and a toddler. I'm trying to figure out if I need to mix anything other than manure in before I start planting greens and a late sowing of peas.

I potted up the beans, which are growing like crazy. They're stuck in the window now since my seedling collection has outgrown their lights. Potted up the two biggest tomatoes, too.

I also cut down a tree that was in the way and had nasty thorns all over it. It was a small tree, but still--I cut it down! With an axe! Feel free to tell me how awesomely tough I am. I'm going to start growing muscles along with veggies if I keep this up!

Gemini Jim April 18th, 2011 08:52 AM

Yesterday got to do some thinning and weeding. The soil was much too wet for any serious digging, but some stubborn asters could be fairly easily coaxed out of the ground. In the process I ended up dividing some very old and woody oregano plants and moving them to sunnier spots. Hope there will by time for thyme today! I made a vow to weed at least one row or bed section every day before I leave for work. Hopefully that will help me stay on top of things.

starsprouts, give me a nice sharp axe over a chainsaw any day!

ander217 April 18th, 2011 09:33 AM

We've been harvesting salads from the raised beds for a few weeks, and just learned we could add raw lamb's quarters tops to the salads. (De-lish. Now we weed and harvest at the same time!) I was adding violet blossoms to the salads, too, until Hubby mowed them down. I snipped a couple of pansy blooms instead for yesterday's lunch salad. This is the first time I've ever used edible flowers -they make really pretty (and tasty) salads. We're also succession planting more radishes and lettuces. I'm trying rats-tail radishes for the first time this year. Can't wait to see what the seed pods taste like.

We're working on last of the trellises for peas, tomatoes, and pole beans, and Hubby is making an arbor over the garden entrance. He already planted two grapevines, so now he's committed.

I planted more swiss chard and carrots this week, and I have a tomato plant to set out. I'm experimenting with direct-seeding some of my tomatoes this year but don't want to put all my tomatoes in that basket.

We tried pea inoculant this year and it's really making a difference in the growth of the peas. I hope that means a better harvest, too. Ours were pretty dismal last year. First pea failure I ever remember in decades of gardening.

Now we're ready to sit back and enjoy a bit and wait for summer-planting time. Spring has sprung for us.

Tutter April 18th, 2011 09:46 AM

Today, not as much as I would like!

TastyofHasty April 18th, 2011 09:53 AM

gardeninggrammy, we now have a bathtub out there and I'm trying to figure what to do with it. Maybe I'll use it like you use that big tub.

Rumpleteazer, I like that about "frantic sowing." :) I try to keep it down to steady plodding sowing, but found a packet of chinese cabbage I'd left out in the garden by mistake, all soaked; the seed just got dumped on the ground and slightly covered up, too much else to do at the time.

w8in4dave April 18th, 2011 10:12 AM

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/bfdfbaeb.jpg

Prairie Princess April 18th, 2011 11:30 PM

Sleet outside. Bummer. Hope the broc and caul make it. Wed is the only day this week, the sun is supposed to shine. Snow and rain the rest of the week, thankfully, no sub 32 temps. *crosses fingers and toes and all other loose body parts*

I did score a big round bale of straw yesterday for mulch.

TastyofHasty April 19th, 2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 752651)

Oh my, I'm sorry, but that struck me as funny! :D Just think, w8in, it is getting a bit HOT here, pretty soon we will have to pay for Air Conditioning, you have SPRING to look forward to. :rolleyes:

Sorellina April 19th, 2011 12:27 PM

Ciao all-

Well, it was partly sunny earlier today, but now we're getting clouds and rain with wet snow possible later this afternoon. I took the flats out of the garage for a few hours, but if we do get that wet snow, back inside they'll go. I also rolled up the covers on the raised beds and took the ends off the row covers as condensation was building up. All of the Asian greens, kales, mustards, and leeks are fine. I did lose a couple chards and bulls blood beets, though. Thankfully, I have some extras. That's one nice thing about beet and chard seeds - you get a lot of twins.

One upside to the cold weather is that the Purple Mizuna and Rubi Pak Choi are a beautiful very dark burgundy. The Red Frills Mustard is also now changing to a darker burgundy colour. I love green and purple in the garden and before I grew "greens", I only had that with my basils.

All of the Daikons are now up and I got 1 Salmon-Flowered Crown Pea sprout, probably because of the cover over the half barrel.

starsprouts April 19th, 2011 02:57 PM

Rain, rain, rain. We got another bed in place last night, but I couldn't finish painting because the store was out of the paint I needed. I did pot the onions up to a deeper container, though. Planted the lettuce in a big flat to get a jump start on it, but I might have covered the seeds too deeply. One way to find out, I guess.

My husband came in this morning as he was leaving and told me all my "peas or whatever" (beans, actually) in the window were dead. I freaked out and jumped out of bed. They're fine, but he won't be when he gets home!

Does spending time on IDig count as doing something useful for my garden?

Vinny April 19th, 2011 04:56 PM

Lol well it's in the low 90s here but there's not much to do today but wait for the sprouts to shoot up.

TXDirtDog April 19th, 2011 05:43 PM

Inspected the garden, watered, killed a bug, pulled a few weeds, gathered some ground cherries and am in the process of potting up MORE tomatoes :eek:

Will gather more mulberries this evening.

Forgot to add: immasculated some more mater flowers and gathered some more pollen for crossing project.

Sorellina April 19th, 2011 07:17 PM

Ugh. Snowing and ice pellets. I had to run outside, put the flats back into the garage, and re-cover all of the plants I uncovered today. This spring is really becoming a downer.

peapicker April 19th, 2011 08:10 PM

Replacing bean poles that was knocked down from the storm that hit the East on Fri.
Picking up limbs from the storm
Planted more beans and cowpeas

TastyofHasty April 23rd, 2011 02:18 PM

Just planted a small bed of beets, Flat of Egypt. This year I must remember to sprinkle a bit of Epsom salts around there. Since beets are "magnesium accumulators." Something I had decided to try out, since beets haven't been growing well for me the past several years.

Looking at my "pankar huyu," looking like an empty pond now with horse manure thrown all around on the bottom and the sides, I thought about how I planned for the manure to break down over summer so I could weed it all out in fall and put a "greenhouse dome" over it. "Why not throw daikon radish seed in there and see what happens," said Self to me. Since Self knew I had a bunch of old saved daikon seed from 2007." MIGHT work. Even if it doesn't, she said, big deal. But it would be very nice to have some big old daikon radishes just happen to grow there.

Gemini Jim April 23rd, 2011 05:54 PM

Finished weeding the "old" herb bed that was being overrun with perennial asters. In the process pruned the dead wood from the rosemary, moved two thyme plants, and potted up one rue and about a dozen catnip and lemon balm for a local plant swap next month.

Fertilized all the brassicas (brassicae?) and alliums (allia?) with a little top-dressing of chicken poo, then mulched them with straw. Did first hilling-up of potatoes.

Brought out peppers and tomatoes to continue hardening off. Supposed to be warm tonight, so I'll probably leave them out, under the eaves in case of rain. Some of the peppers look a little yellow, so I top-dressed them with a little chicken poo too...

HomesteadMommy April 23rd, 2011 08:25 PM

Well it finally stopped raining early this morning so we ventured outside. I need to get more seedling mix, but had enough on hand to start some seed. Today I planted a flat of Heinz paste tomatoes, another flat of tomatoes a few each of chocolate cherry's, sweetie, egg yolk, bonny best, hendersons pink.
Half a flat of egg plant, half a flat of sunberry's, flat of ground cherry's and 8 California Wonder bell pepper plants.

The only things up in my garden right now are the garlic and rhubarb. The garlic is what we couldn't harvest last year. All the rain left tiny tiny bulbs that were not worth digging up. Now I have to move a ton of them. lol Many will be tucked around other plants.

The rhubarb, my 2 plants I put in a few years ago are coming up. So far only 1 of the 6 plants a friend gave me last year has come up. :(

Would be great if the weather would get nicer!!

chickweed April 23rd, 2011 08:26 PM

Playing catch up!

Beet Greens April 23rd, 2011 10:50 PM

Went out early this morning and filled beds, then when it was late enough to not feel too bad about disturbing the neighbors I finished the last eight feet of the full-length bed and filled that. Wasn't a lot of fun mixing soil and manure in a drizzle, but, what the heck the job is done. Then I repotted a lot of stuff in the GH. Was rather pleasant to do that while listening to the rain on the GH...really quite relaxing.
Tomorrow morning, before things get crazy with Easter dinner and the grandkid's easter egg hunt, I plan to fill three containers then build the first level of two potato condos and plant Kennebec and Red Pontiac potatos.

Drew Dubious April 24th, 2011 06:33 AM

::greets Beet Greens with a tip of his hat and a nod:: Hello fellow masshole! :D

Beet Greens April 24th, 2011 07:24 AM

Hey Drew, thanks, and happy Easter to you.

ezzirah April 24th, 2011 09:39 AM

Sitting around feeling very grateful for the rain!

SpaceAge April 24th, 2011 01:44 PM

wishing it would plant and tend itself !

Maelstrom April 24th, 2011 02:07 PM

Praying for rain...that's what I'm doing for my garden right now. Manual watering of the 2000+sq meter garden (4 times larger than last year!) is killing me!

peapicker April 24th, 2011 04:19 PM

Taking note of what I need to do tomorrow
Wlile surveying the garden I helped a few pole bean runners find something to run on.and noticed quite a few skips that need to be replanted.
I might just put a tomato plant where the skips are.

Beet Greens April 24th, 2011 08:14 PM

I decided this evening, after all the kids and grands went home that it was time to plant peas. So I did. And, radishes, buttercrunch lettuce, mesclun, beets and turnips. It felt good to really get in the dirt, and if it turns out to be too early for the beets or turnips I'll simply replant. I look forward to thinning the beets (hence the name)...I just hope I get them before the woodchuck does.

MVNewf April 24th, 2011 08:25 PM

QUOTE Beet Greens
it was time to plant peas. So I did. And, radishes, buttercrunch lettuce, mesclun, beets and turnips.

Oh gosh it is not to early to plant those seeds directly in your garden....I planted all mine 3 weeks and they are all up about 2" and growing.....3 weeks and all my tomato, eggplant and pepper plants will get transplanted into the garden, along with all the beans and cukes.....May 14th weekend is the weekend everything else gets planted here....except the melons & squash I like to wait till Memorial Day weekend....

Drew Dubious April 24th, 2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVNewf (Post 756774)
QUOTE Beet Greens
it was time to plant peas. So I did. And, radishes, buttercrunch lettuce, mesclun, beets and turnips.

Oh gosh it is not to early to plant those seeds directly in your garden....I planted all mine 3 weeks and they are all up about 2" and growing.....3 weeks and all my tomato, eggplant and pepper plants will get transplanted into the garden, along with all the beans and cukes.....May 14th weekend is the weekend everything else gets planted here....except the melons & squash I like to wait till Memorial Day weekend....

I putted me squash out today :D

Beet Greens April 24th, 2011 09:31 PM

I think my squash and pumpkins are going out this next weekend. It looks like they're not going to make it much longer than that anyway, so I might as well get 'em out there.
I usually have planted my garden on Patriot's Day, but the rain and cool weather scared me off this year. It was late last year too, in May I think, because I waited for my son to come and rototill th garden. It did just fine, but I was a wreck by the time I got the seeds in.

Gemini Jim April 25th, 2011 10:17 AM

All the plants out from under the lights since Friday night: tomatoes, peppers, basil, mouse melons. I know it's not ideal to harden them off so abruptly, and some got a little too much wind, but the trade-off is that the basement is dank and damp after all this rain, and there was mold on the soil, so I thought a little sun and breeze was essential! I'll do what I can to keep them happy outside as long as this warm humid weather continues. Should be able to plant most of the toms out this weekend.

Turned a bed for brocolli and lacinto kale transplants to go in ASAP, hopefull today after work. I also want to plant some store-bought leek crowns just to see what happens.

Mulched more beds and paths. Gotta have more strawbales! (said in my best Christopher Walken voice...)

catgrass April 25th, 2011 10:54 AM

Fertilized with liquid fertilizer, watered real well (no rain in WEEKS!), picked 2 cucumbers and ate them for Easter dinner, picked 2 bell peppers and they were also part of Easter dinner, munched some nasturtiums off the plant and squished 2 horn worms.

starsprouts April 25th, 2011 04:56 PM

I planted my first things outside today! Shovelled more soil into one of the beds, dumped in two 40 lb. bags of compost/manure mix, mixed it all up real good, and planted my little seeds. I should've had some of them out a long time ago, but between the weather and my various "helpers" not cooperating, it just didn't happen this year. Turnips, onions (the rest are upstairs waiting to be transplanted), carrots, a little spinach, and a few golden beets that I got from a friend. I used a lettuce mix as the dividing lines between the various crops. Now I'm nervous and hoping that everything grows okay!

Also rescued a potato and some pumpkin seeds of unknown variety (could be from the big jack-o-lanterns or the tiny baby pumpkins a sweet local farmer gave my Moose). They were all growing in the compost heap, along with a lot of corn, but we can't do corn this year. Pumpkins and potato are in pots with some soil until I figure out what to do with them.

Snack time is over. Back out to play, this time with my smallest gardening buddy!

Gemini Jim April 25th, 2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsprouts (Post 757290)

Snack time is over. Back out to play, this time with my smallest gardening buddy!

Sweet! My big boy (age 4) got a hoe, shovel, and rake from his Oma, and he was helping me prepare a bed for some broccoli and kale seedlings. Ironically, having a little gardening buddy forces some order into my otherwise chaotic gardening style...

swinneyswitch April 25th, 2011 08:42 PM

going to pick remaining beets tomorrow; lettuce finished; huge, huge tomatoes on vine waiting to ripen; going out to pick blackberries tomorrow and most importantly PRAYING FOR RAIN! We need it so badly here in Texas.

Prairie Princess April 25th, 2011 10:17 PM

Still dreaming. It snowed today. *Deep sigh*

Captain_Compost April 26th, 2011 04:26 AM

Feel sorry for you all up north that are having to still put up with cold and even snow. Down here the entire south/midwest states just got a ton of needed rain.

So now will come the weeds. I'm not looking forward to it. Yet another good argument for mulching... mulch, mulch, and when that fails, mulch some more.

Been keeping up on the maters, which are gonna get spoiled from the rain, plus keeping and eye out on my cantaloupes which got eaten last year by some little critter just as they were starting to put on runners. Fertilized already some... just waiting for the warm spring sun to do its thing and watch my babies grow.

Got some last minute cherry tomatoes started and under the lights. They're about 4 inches tall now and looking great. I'm wondering if it's getting too late to start anything else for summer.

ezzirah April 26th, 2011 06:49 AM

I am sorry for the snow up there Prairie Princess!

Yeah, we got much needed rain and it washed away my tomato starts! I have to go get some transplants now! GRRRRR.....

Prairie Princess April 26th, 2011 01:48 PM

The good thing about snow this time of year is it doesn't stick around. The sun was actually shining for a few hours this morning. :D

Our average last frost date is around 5/7. But in the last few years we've had some pretty hard freezes around the 20th.

I think I may set a few things out this weekend and cover them. I've got a bunch of old plastic jugs and some bubble wrap to put around them. That should protect them ok.

I need to haul the hog panels up and get hub to bring me some steel posts.

Oh, and he scored a 2 wheeled wheelborrow for me today. Some one dumped it at the land fill. He said it just needs a tire fixed. Otherwise, looks almost new!:D

Drew Dubious April 26th, 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie Princess (Post 757782)
Oh, and he scored a 2 wheeled wheelborrow for me today. Some one dumped it at the land fill. He said it just needs a tire fixed. Otherwise, looks almost new!:D

noice :)

Gemini Jim April 28th, 2011 09:41 AM

Hey, how'd this thread get to page 2? Must be all the storms...

Anyway, I got out for a couple hours yesterday. Planted out my baby broccoli and lacinato kale plants. I'm not sure why I bothered, because their direct-seeded counterparts are already much bigger! Also, just for giggles, planted 3 leek crowns from store-bought leeks into what may be becoming the perennial allium patch. #1 Son helped me define paths.

I tried to hill up the taters for a second time, but I'm running out of soil, even with generous amendment of straw. Will have to cut more sod from the future rain garden to keep up with them.

Peas are growing fast but still no flowers. I hope it stays cool enough for them. High temps in the 80's last few days.

I discovered that slugs are murder on mouse melon {Melothria scabra) seedlings. I lost 4 of them before I moved them to the brick stoop and dusted liberally with DE. Will have to watch them like a hawk when they go out in the garden!

Other indoor starts (peppers, tomatoes, basil) have been out since Friday and loving the warmth. The newspaper pots are not holding up so well though. I'll make them thicker next time.

Tutter April 28th, 2011 09:44 AM

Just got done moving two dozen flats of tomatos back into the greenhouse as bad storms are coming with wind and maybe hail. Battening down all the hatches!

rengiesuerte April 28th, 2011 11:00 AM

Interesting thread! Just watching my Dahlias I got at Lynch Creek Farm. I'll have these tubers on my garden tomorrow.

starsprouts April 28th, 2011 11:15 AM

Cut up potatoes for my "will these grow better in a cardboard box or a nursery pot?" experiment. Watered my seedlings. I have cucumbers, morning glories, and a few last-minute peppers from a seed swap starting to come up! Need to get out and paint the last few raised beds while the kid naps, but the weather channel has said every day this week that it's going to rain at noon, so I don't paint because I don't think it will have time to dry...then the stupid storms predictions are pushed back an hour at a time until it never actually rains until midnight.

I'm trying to get some lemon seeds to grow, too, but they're just picked out of the lemonade I made yesterday, so I don't know if they'll work or even be very good if they do.

TastyofHasty April 28th, 2011 01:16 PM

Transplanted a bunch of overgrown daffodils back to our back gate. Lots of rocks. Seven clumps. They're done blooming, seems like I read somewhere now's the time to transplant? :confused: Anyway, it's done now, used some of the horse manure we received a short while back to transplant them with.

[editing] and then I dug up an area with about 4" of mashed wet leaves on top of old dead grass, all the way down to turn them under actual DIRT, evened it all out, then planted turnips.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...9-facebook.gif

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smile...mileys-468.gif

JanR April 29th, 2011 11:04 AM

It is finally dry enough that I can walk on the grass. It is still really squishy underfoot, but not too bad. The weeds are starting to grow in the raised beds. :( , but there are also a few green onions growing that didn't get pulled out last year. I'm not sure whether I want to pull them and eat them or let them go to seed and collect the seed. I think that raised bed is destined for tomatoes this year, but I'm sure that I could find a little room to leave and onion or two. :) I also found out that my garlic was growing. I was going to pull off the mulch until I remember the weather forecast. We are supposed to get 55mm of rain and then 20 cm. of snow this weekend. We actually have a winter storm watch in effect. Grrrrrrr..... I am not amused. Spring had finally seemed to have arrived. I want to get out and clean out the greenhouse. I guess I can do that in the rain this weekend. :) I desperately need to get some tomato transplants out there as I am running out of room in the house.

Gemini Jim April 29th, 2011 11:11 AM

Tomatoes in Manitoba outside? I'm impressed!

JanR April 29th, 2011 11:23 AM

Tomatoes grow just fine here in Manitoba. The growing season is a bit short, but they do well. It may be really short this year. :(

OneoftheEarls April 30th, 2011 05:14 PM

First I had to fix the overheating issue with the S-10. Last week the radiator was changed out but it was still overheating, I put in a new thermostat and seal, still hot (260). Checked flow IN radiator, the coolant reservoir was full but low....I added TWO gallons. Sooooooooooo...that's why. Doing well, so I got out the Troy Built Horse, changed the Earl, added some Lucas mix, adjusted the carb...purring.

Hooked up my utility trailer and put in the lawn mower, trimmer, extra propane tank, grill and the Horse. Made in back into town, added expensive gasoline to truck and a container. Took out tiller and opened up a new garden in backyard, cleared out the old cages and tilled about half of last year's garden.

5 o'clock and I was hoping ya'all would let me take a break. Received three SASE envies to fill....plants are doing fine....finally broke 60F.

swinneyswitch April 30th, 2011 10:01 PM

Today I am reaping some of the first rewards of working hard in my gardens. I put up 3 quarts of blackberries; 9 pints of pickled beets; made beet wine for the first time-I just have to wait 15 days before I can sample it; and ate my first thick slices of black krim tomatoes. They were yummy, yummy yummy. I have about 12 Romas waiting for saucing; about 1/2 dozen tomatoes waiting to be sliced and probably a enough Asparagus Beans for a good meal and a half. Life is Good! God is Awesome! Blessings to all! ;) Linda in Swinney Switch

MVNewf April 30th, 2011 10:24 PM

I planted half my tomato plants into the garden today :D I did put a plastic over a hoop house type rig, just at night for the next week or so....they have been outside in another hoop house for over a month now so they are very adjusted to our spring 40 degree nights now....I just have SO many seeds started right now, I have to ween them into the garden...moved all my squash and bean seedlings to the garage, but still have all my melon seedlings under the T5 lights in the basement, they like warm, warm warm....:D

Gemini Jim May 1st, 2011 01:47 AM

Me and #1 son planted hickory king corn in the 3 sisters bed after hoeing out some of the sod pieces that remain and raking in some composted chicken poo and mineral fertilizers. The rest of the sod will be buried or spot-picked as we go.

Tomatoes and peppers went back in the basement tonight, as temps predicted in the 40's (50 right now at 0137). I'll plant out a few tomorrow, but some are still small, and some might still be traded, so I can stagger them. 2 largest individual tomato plants are 1 stupice and 1 black russian, so they'll definitely go out. Maybe 1 sweet pepper and 1 Thai chili too.

Too much time was spent today cutting grass, including a run the the !#@$#% gas station, but that's out of the way for the moment. Now after cutting the tall stuff I can start using the reel mower (reel nice, reel quiet!).

OneoftheEarls May 1st, 2011 08:09 AM

rainy today...plan C, clean and work in pole barn.

Pray for the ones hurt by the tornadoes.

Backyard Homesteader May 1st, 2011 08:47 AM

May rain again..o'joy! If not gonna till my garden again. Gonna try and plant some more stuff. If it rains gonna build some more raised beds.:)

Backyard Homesteader May 1st, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls (Post 761094)

5 o'clock and I was hoping ya'all would let me take a break. Received three SASE envies to fill....plants are doing fine....finally broke 60F.

Hey see you got the 60 degree weather I sent ya...lol:)

JanR May 1st, 2011 09:04 AM

Today I'm going to transplant some tomatoes into bigger pots. I'm certainly not doing anything outside. We had about 3 inches of rain overnight on Friday. There was a board floating around in my garden. Yesterday it turned to snow and we probably got about a foot of snow. I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to plant anything this year. :( I wonder what effect the cold is going to have on my garlic, which was starting to grow. It's a good thing that I didn't remove the mulch. :)

Okie drifter May 1st, 2011 09:17 AM

watching it once again fill with water from another thunder storm

ezzirah May 1st, 2011 09:41 AM

I know, at this point I think we need rafts...

JanR May 1st, 2011 11:46 AM

Weather has certainly been bizarre. To think I should be able to plant out my tomatoes in less than a month. My potatoes should already be in the ground along with lots of other things. Not a hope. :(

Gemini Jim May 1st, 2011 05:26 PM

Cloudy today with sporadic drizzle. Not enough to keep my out of the garden. Planted out 5 biggest tomato plants, each with basil starts nearby. With #1 son scattered various flower seeds over 3 sisters garden: marigods, nasturtiums, zinnias, cosmos, nigella, alyssum, coreopsis, butterfly weed... Should be colorful out there soon! Planted out mouse melon seedlings under a chicken wire fence. Picked first fistful of arugula for tonight's salad.

Beet Greens May 1st, 2011 08:20 PM

Built two potato condos today. They are 2 feet by 2 feet and 8 inches deep. I set them on weed block paper so hopefully nothing will grow (or crawl) up through them. Planted Kennebecs and Red Pontiacs. The boxes are built to easily stack new boxes on so I can get them pretty tall before the harvest I hope.

OneoftheEarls May 1st, 2011 08:41 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...B/a3324dfe.jpg

Easy photo...way harder behind it...I love it!

TastyofHasty May 2nd, 2011 01:24 PM

It's drizzly today and durned cold as it has been the past couple of days. Weather says it's 44F out there now and going down to 38F tonight. BUT going up to warmer weather by the end of the five day period on the weather report. I've been pulling weeds and bermuda out of just one end of the "berm" between the ditch on the side of my front garden and our driveway. Planning on FLOWERS. :) IF I can clear out the bermuda and weeds, that will look pretty this coming summer!

OOTE, congratulations on your excellent tiller! It will save gas compared to a tractor, won't it?

eagleheart May 4th, 2011 09:34 PM

I'm in Northern IL and we had frost his 'morn :( What is Mother Nature doing to us this year??

WinterSown May 4th, 2011 10:37 PM

Today has been a cold, damp and rainy day. The plants are loving it but I'm chilled to the bone and am sustaining myself with mugs of tomato soup. Outside are all my tomato seedlings, sown in two batches this year--the first was seeds folks have given me and the second batch was seeds from USDA/GRIN, and among those are two Campbells Soups, numbers 54 and 119. Ahhh, the circle of life.

All my sprouted veggies are planted and I must transplant the herbs too. I've got carrots, beets, cahrd, lettuces, peas, scallions and onions; I'm waiting on a flat of spinach to sprout any day now. I've only sown one flat of summer veggies, a blend of eggplants, and hopefully I will get the peppers sown before the end of the week.

Sorellina May 5th, 2011 09:29 AM

Ciao all-

Similar to Trudi, we've had lots of rain over the past few days. Now that the sun is out and we're warming up to a scorching 16C/61F, I'll get the hardened off herbs transplanted. The last 2 days have been all about potting up a total of 5 flats of flowers and I'm still not done. That has to be some kind of personal record. It wasn't long ago that I didn't plant any flowers but nasturtiums and sunflowers.

catgrass May 5th, 2011 09:53 AM

I'm picking! Pickin' green beans, bell peppers and cucumbers. Eggplant flowering, tomatoes are green, tiny squash on the vine.

Gemini Jim May 5th, 2011 10:06 AM

Got out briefly yesterday after work for some thinning, weeding, and harvesting. Arugula is hitting its peak. Cilantro is growing. The red Russian kale just won't quit. I harvested enough for 2 meals, though I did get some comments that it's starting to get bitter. I say put more butter on it! :D It will have to come out soon to make room for tomatoes and peppers. Maybe I'll try moving some of the plants to a shadier spot and let them recover till fall. Pulled out some sick garlic plants. Looks like white rot (started another thread on that...)

TastyofHasty May 5th, 2011 10:15 AM

I planted a few seeds in the winter-sown pots that didn't seem to have anything surviving in them. It happens. There are quite a few that DID grow, anyway.

I planted ... something called "Cerinthe Major," (a flower), Zaatar Oregano, and St. John's Wort. All little teensy packets of seed, so it seemed best to plant in a pot where I can see what comes up and have it identified, then IF any plants show up, I can transplant to the garden later.

Pulled lots of weedy stuff, especially chickweed, out of the garden. Just walked around in the gorgeous day looking at everything starting to grow. My crambe maritima popped up little plantlets! Hurrah!

ricksroots May 5th, 2011 10:45 AM

Cleaned up the back yard a bit and put coat of paint on the deck planter I made a few days ago. Moved my cucumber trellis closer to the plants so I can start training them.

redneckplanter May 5th, 2011 11:27 AM

killing stinkbugs.hoping fer punkins.

JanR May 5th, 2011 12:18 PM

Today, I removed the mulch from my garlic bed and cut the old fronds from my asparagus that I planted last year. The asparagus is growing, so I will soon have some asparagus. I will have to check the ditches for some wild asparagus. Everything is still so wet and the ditches are filled with water so that asparagus is probably still drowning. :( I tried to dig the ditch a little deeper that is draining the main garden. It is still full of water. Thank goodness for raised beds.

TXDirtDog May 5th, 2011 01:46 PM

Watering, watering and more watering. Trying to keep everything alive until we finally get some rain.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ening004-9.jpg

TastyofHasty May 7th, 2011 04:57 PM

Planted "Petite Filet Beans" and "Stewart's Zeebest okra."

Next today I hope will be Calaloo and maybe some Zinnias. It has turned warm here all of a sudden. :)

OneoftheEarls May 7th, 2011 05:29 PM

two rows of taters and 8 dwarf/early toms

sore throat and headache...

sunny out

ness May 7th, 2011 06:50 PM

Working on a gravity-fed irrigation setup. 5 gallon bucket on the fence, 1/4 inch plastic tubing running the length of the bed spaced 1 foot apart. I've already got stuff growing, so it's a little tricky snaking the tubes through. I have learned if it all doesn't lay flat, the water won't flow. Giving the first bed 5-gallons of Miracle Grow right now. And...frying some bacon for wilted lettuce.

ricksroots May 7th, 2011 10:37 PM

Painted my other PVC tomato support (greeen looks bettter than white!). String up the cherry and jelly bean tomatoes. Mowed the lawn. Spread glass clippings on more plants out front. Put the rest of the grass clippings ni a pile with some wood chips out behind the shed and mixed them in. Bought two new blueberry bushes at the farmers market and planted one in my deck planter. Left the other in the pot out by the other blueberry. Will put it in the ground AFTER it bears its fruit.

Planted 50 heirloom tomato seeds today, prudends purple mortgage lifter, and sweetie. Used miracle-gro seed starting mix (I know, sacrilege!) and jiffy peat pots. Got them on the heat mat right now!