IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Sister Fearless February 1st, 2011 08:00 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

was trimming out dead cane from daisy clumps and old fennel stalks...I hoed and chopped all of my cover crops to start the decay for this season...and noticed that not only the bulb flowers, chives, garlic, and columbine coming up, but my shrubs all have leaf buds....blueberry, lilac, and current bush

JanAdy February 7th, 2011 04:11 AM

After 2 days of sun I thought I'd work outside today - FORGET IT.

Last night there was a really sharp frost. Burning off now to develop into a thick mist/fog.

kfcfish February 7th, 2011 08:25 AM

starin at the books and watchin the snow fall.

DebbieG February 7th, 2011 10:21 AM

I'm trying to figure out where to build raised beds and how much I can plant. It looks like I'm only gonna have about 100-150 square feet to work with, and of course I want to plant a zillion different things! :eek: Of course I'm gonna get creative and do some edible landscaping where ever I can fit it in. My lot is only 40X120 and we have a 14X70 mobil home on it with a front porch and a back deck, plus 2 10X10 dog pens, which we are going to expand this year so that the dogs have more room to play. We also have to build a small shed to house "stuff" like chain saws, gardening stuff, and more stuff. So as you can see, I have my work cut out as far as planning. Oh, I forgot, we are also putting up a privacy fence, which will mean more shaded areas in the yard.

hikingonthru February 8th, 2011 11:57 PM

Wondering if it will snow on Thursday...want my father to get a chance to till the weeds in before they pop up. Lotsa good old composted leaves need to go in too. I do not have a garden here at our new house...grieves me greatly.

reubenT February 9th, 2011 07:55 PM

I'm cuttin timber! yup, hauling 6-7 ton loads every couple days to the pulp yard. (i get paid $21 a ton for it) tryin to clean up my future garden. Well, sort of. trying to get 3 acres ready for apple trees. The view from the apple land is getting better, I can see the mountainside on the other side now quite well. Gotta get the dozer worked on in the next few days so I can finish it up, and then clean up a half acre for tomatoes way down on the other side of our land. It's snowing again now. But the weather prophet says the next week will see no more wet stuff and nice weather so maybe we can get plenty done.

bughunter99 February 9th, 2011 09:55 PM

Topped of the ice rink. Its going below zero tonight which means really great conditions for making great ice!

TXDirtDog February 9th, 2011 10:23 PM

Added a 2nd light bulb to the mini greenhouse and left my tomato starts in it for this cold wave. 28F outside temp, 47F in the greenhouse. I'm a happy camper, cause there just ain't enough room under the grow lights for maters and peppers to all be happy.

redneckplanter February 9th, 2011 10:24 PM

fixin to stalk tdd's compost piles...smiles.shhhhhhhhhhhhh

TXDirtDog February 9th, 2011 10:49 PM

Just taint right, taint fittin. Lol.

Tutter February 10th, 2011 07:56 AM

Today I'm hoping to get the end walls installed on the new greenhouse. Yesterday I was chasing 6X10 sheets of polycarb that I "thought" were secured. Wasn't expecting 50mph windgusts...those suckers were airborne and heading towards the next county.

tsteven1 February 10th, 2011 09:12 AM

Lots of repair and replanting coming out of the cold.
Tim

redneckplanter February 10th, 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXDirtDog (Post 708588)

rotfl.............

redneckplanter February 10th, 2011 09:59 AM

moved the lil new maters up onto a raised platform under the lights.some critters ate leaves off 2 seedlings....left bigguns alone.......sighs

WillysWoodPile February 10th, 2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXDirtDog (Post 708588)

The first ever restraining order to keep someone from coming within 100 feet of a compost pile? The coppers would be talkin' about that one for a long time.

WillysWoodPile February 10th, 2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 708795)
moved the lil new maters up onto a raised platform under the lights.some critters ate leaves off 2 seedlings....left bigguns alone.......sighs

Break out a flashlight and the .22 LR. And if you really wanted to have fun you could get yourself one of those Russian military surplus night-vision optics, cheap.

SimonJester February 10th, 2011 09:22 PM

Admiring the new green leaves on our bell peppers that have been outside during the cold. Also planting onions and potatoes.

redneckplanter February 10th, 2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile (Post 708949)
The first ever restraining order to keep someone from coming within 100 feet of a compost pile? The coppers would be talkin' about that one for a long time.

smiles...well he did steal somma leaves last year!

JanAdy February 14th, 2011 05:57 AM

On Friday I managed to dig 3 rows of my Winter Dig in the veggie plot before I got rained off. (I know it's late Winter/early Spring but I've only just managed to get round to it). Also put 2 rows of Pea Seeds in the covered seed bed.
Sat I dug another 3 rows, cleared a load of bramble and repairesd some of the fencing that has collapsed under the weight of said brambles.
Today - watching the rain again.

VA Gardener February 14th, 2011 07:58 AM

I removed the mulch from my raised beds, and found a lot of garlic and onions, as well as spinach and lettuce. Spring is almost here!

swinneyswitch February 15th, 2011 01:37 PM

gettin ready to set out tomatoes! planted from seed this year and musta done something right because we have 90 tomato babies that look super; about 12" tall and ready for the real world. We used Vortex potting soil for the first time this year and it made a believer out of me. We even abandoned them for 2 weeks while we went up north and they did great. Family and neighbors will benefit from my husband's green thumb this year.

KsMama11 February 15th, 2011 02:54 PM

Just waiting for the snow to melt!

TXDirtDog February 15th, 2011 05:42 PM

Fed the citrus trees, but ran out of citri-tone. Have to pick up some more tomorrow for the lemon tree. Did yard cleanup and got rid of broken wood, etc.

Note to self: When leaf raiding, don't stuff the empty bags into open totes to get later. Make the extra steps to put them into a covered trash can. Rainwater makes them really funky!

It was a beautiful day!

I feel good....like I knew that I should now......Iiiiii feel good!

organicbaby February 19th, 2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXDirtDog (Post 711869)
Fed the citrus trees, but ran out of citri-tone. Have to pick up some more tomorrow for the lemon tree. Did yard cleanup and got rid of broken wood, etc.

Note to self: When leaf raiding, don't stuff the empty bags into open totes to get later. Make the extra steps to put them into a covered trash can. Rainwater makes them really funky!

It was a beautiful day!

I feel good....like I knew that I should now......Iiiiii feel good!

Ain't it funny how a few degrees warmer can make such a big difference? Maybe I'm getting old but I seem to notice such things more frequently, lol

Fed the blueberries, did compost harvest/leaf roundup--rebuilding compost piles, sowed Profuma di Genova/Sweet Dani basils, summer savory, salad burnet, cilantro, and dill. Fed the garlic, lettuce, potato onions and spinach.

TXDirtDog February 19th, 2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organicbaby (Post 714829)
Ain't it funny how a few degrees warmer can make such a big difference? Maybe I'm getting old but I seem to notice such things more frequently, lol

Fed the blueberries, did compost harvest/leaf roundup--rebuilding compost piles, sowed Profuma di Genova/Sweet Dani basils, summer savory, salad burnet, cilantro, and dill. Fed the garlic, lettuce, potato onions and spinach.

And how! I'm noticing seasonal changes a lot more also. That last cold snap came with a lot of wind, and I went into a bit of a funk. Found out later that's not unusual. We won't talk about the other factor it causes in polite company. Lol.

Glad you were able to get so many things done.

I got the tilling done day before yesterday. Today, I put up 3 Florida weaves using untreated landscape timbers and 2X4's. They'll hold 8 plants each. The rest of the maters will get staked. I wanted to see how a weave does for me. Mixed soil and planted 4 maters. I know it's too early but I couldn't help myself. Besides, I've got a little voice whispering in my ear with a redneck accent and that Florida weave looked so lonely. Lol. I am sore, tired and burnt. But I feel good.

redneckplanter February 19th, 2011 08:54 PM

planting maters........lol
and hoping it don't get toooo cold............lol

TastyofHasty February 20th, 2011 10:32 AM

Chopped back the peach tree, rather than cutting it down completely 'cause it's sick with brown rot. Cut out all branches in the middle, and all branches reaching higher than I can.

Started digging places to plant fruit trees and little berry starts coming soon.

peapicker February 20th, 2011 10:41 AM

Planted turnips and put up more bean poles yesterday morn
Planted more peppers and tomato seeds to flats yesterday afternoon

Sorellina February 20th, 2011 11:40 AM

I sowed seeds inside. It's glacier-infested outside still. :rolleyes:

JanAdy February 21st, 2011 01:59 AM

This week (in between the farm animals and house-hold emergencies) I've sown Peas, Runner Beans and French Haricot Beans in pots in the old cold frame and built a new cold frame. Also done a bit more of my (very late) winter digging.
Now I'm watching the torrential rain.

catgrass February 21st, 2011 03:30 PM

I tilled one little patch (8 x 8), cut another cabbage-repotted several houseplants and made new starts for the spring yard sale. Potted up several seedlings into "real" soil to go in the ground in about 2 weeks. ( got carried away-I have LOTS of tomatoes!) Took ALL the plants out of the garage, watered, fed, washed and put in their places on the porch. Cut back lots of dead growth on the flowering shrubs, filled the bird feeders, made a fire in the fire pit and drank some wine. The weekend was good. :)

gerry February 22nd, 2011 05:39 AM

Finished feeding and re-mulching the blueberries.
I thought I was going to turn over and weed another bed yesterday, but the back said no, so I went shopping instead. Got materials for a hoop house and repair kit for one of the hoses. Drilled a hole for a cotter pin in the axle of the old yard cart. A hub came off and was stolen by a squirrel, so the wheel won't stay on. It was so much handier for small jobs than the new one.
Looks like I might actually get the beds all weeded and prepped before I need to give in and till. Please pray for my back to hold out for me. Thanks to a good chiropractor.
Winter sowing is sprouting all over the place. Just a few more mini-greenhouses to prep and a couple of flats to repair and sow.
This sure is an exciting time of year! :D

awais2611 February 22nd, 2011 07:12 AM

The veggie bed still has stuff growing in it and I'm still floundering around still trying to figure out what to do with it next, so I let it be while I tackled the area that's more familiar.

TWC015 February 22nd, 2011 08:00 AM

I am in the process of planting my cool season vegetables. I have onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels Sprouts planted, with more of these to plant still.

Garlic and overwintered onions are beginning to grow rapidly.

bughunter99 February 22nd, 2011 08:00 AM

Staring at the soil covering my seeds and willing seedlings to appear!:)

tetasplantshack February 22nd, 2011 08:26 AM

Going to get a load of mushroom compost and seed starting about 6 trays of vege's, today is Get Er Done Day! :)

redneckplanter February 22nd, 2011 12:14 PM

planting bonsai eggplant/peppers in texas...........lol

Christilin February 22nd, 2011 09:57 PM

Tomorrow is: potatoes, onions, more peas, finish getting the strawberries cleaned out, get row covers ready for the cabbage and broccol- that will be transplanted out in a few weeks. Day off in the middle of the week means I mostly get to spend it doing what I want to instead of on someone else's agenda... :D

bdebonee February 27th, 2011 06:34 PM

Just started more tomatoes and peppers (although I barely have room for the ones I have now. lol)

Put more peppers under the lights today.
Thinned some plantings.

Going to scope around the yard for weeds that haven't gone to seed yet, round 'em up,
then add to the compost pile.

Jolicoeur February 28th, 2011 07:26 AM

On Sunday I found out that just about 3 miles from me are huge mountains of black, steamy and fluffy leaf compost free for the taking. I made five trips with a large plastic tub. Think I need to do about 5 or 6 more, lucky day! :p

Jolicoeur February 28th, 2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdebonee (Post 720434)
Just started more tomatoes and peppers (although I barely have room for the ones I have now. lol)

Put more peppers under the lights today.
Thinned some plantings.

Going to scope around the yard for weeds that haven't gone to seed yet, round 'em up,
then add to the compost pile.

great! This year I can't do my own starts, going on vacation for 10 days during seedling time, need to direct sow and buy starts this year. :rolleyes:

RozieDozie February 28th, 2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolicoeur (Post 720663)
On Sunday I found out that just about 3 miles from me are huge mountains of black, steamy and fluffy leaf compost free for the taking. I made five trips with a large plastic tub. Think I need to do about 5 or 6 more, lucky day! :p

That IS a lucky day, Jolicoeur! I found some, too, and no one seems to know who it belongs to. I'm sure, though, as soon as I backed the truck up there the owner would find me... :D

RozieDozie February 28th, 2011 07:41 AM

Today I'm doing some more tilling in a 100' x 70' garden plot that hasn't been gardened in about 10 years. We cut down the pines and oaks and hackberry (GGGGGRRRRR!!!) and dug up the roots. The soil is pretty good, but grass and fire ants have moved in so I'll have my work cut out for me. I'm going to do the tilling by myself because I'm going to make grass paths. Hubs would rather take the tractor and just dig the whole thing up, but then I'd have to make paths out of something else. Hope this works....

We're planting spring peas on Friday in a garden without a fence so if the deer don't eat them all we will have some peas and a nice cover crop.

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and 2 watermelon seedlings are all up and doing well in the green house and I cannot wait to plant!!

We're expecting severe weather here today; hail, etc., so I'm glad nothings in the ground yet.

nullzero66 February 28th, 2011 04:14 PM

Yesterday I did quite a bit in the garden. Started out the day sorting through cuttings received from UC Davis (stuck some in a soil mix to root as well). I then watered all the seedlings and soon to be seedlings. Right now i have the following going; Thai Roselle, Burmese Orka, Chinese Giant Pepper, Winged Bean, and Kiwano.

Later in the day, I drove down to my parents home to tend to the container fruit garden. I re-potted the following plants; Ice cream bean (1 gallon to 25 gallon, this one grows fast from what I hear), Manila Mango (5 gallon to 25 gallon), and Yellow Peruvian Prickly pear (1 gallon to 3 gallon). I also re-mulched a bunch of container plants and harvested some oranges. Took various pictures of all the plants as well.

redneckplanter February 28th, 2011 05:08 PM

trying cukes and icebox melon planting early...smiles

TWC015 February 28th, 2011 05:28 PM

I just put out some Silver Queen corn seeds. I'm taking a big risk of having frost. I'm going to also try some squash and cucumbers this early. My soil temperature is warm already. I'll just plant more seeds if frost gets these.

TXDirtDog February 28th, 2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWC015 (Post 720997)
I just put out some Silver Queen corn seeds. I'm taking a big risk of having frost. I'm going to also try some squash and cucumbers this early. My soil temperature is warm already. I'll just plant more seeds if frost gets these.

I think that's a great idea. Depending on size of patch, maybe you can cover with tarping, plastic (raised a little off seedlings) or something when frost threatens.

worst case - replant.
Best case - eating good early!

Like Train says, seeds are cheap. Just make sure you always have some in reserve.

OneoftheEarls February 28th, 2011 08:09 PM

72 varieties started...

happygardener February 28th, 2011 11:04 PM

Yesterday, decided to rearrange my mostly raised bed garden. Moving hoop house, starting strawberry bed, gonna set posts tomorrow for raspberry bed and peas. Planning on paper like crazy and sorting seeds. So excited!

TXDirtDog February 28th, 2011 11:34 PM

Started a 3rd compost pile.

Starting 9 varieties of maters (27 seeds) concentrating on early to mid season types. Ummm, just in case you understand.

happygardener March 4th, 2011 09:39 PM

So sore from pulling weeds and ground cover. Was digging a trench in the new strawberry bed for drainage. Then I decided to plant potatos in the trench. Wondering if these would be compatible. ??
What do you think?

w8in4dave March 4th, 2011 09:45 PM

Dreaming :D

Gardenizit March 4th, 2011 11:22 PM

Thinking

SJonathan March 5th, 2011 07:28 PM

Compulsively checking a flat of dirt.

VA Gardener March 5th, 2011 08:17 PM

Got my raised beds ready for tomorrow's planting: added compost, buried some fish, fertilized spinach with fish emulsion. The moon is favorable for the next couple days. In will go peas, more spinach, lettuce, dill, parsley, cilantro, fenugreek, calendula, borage and favas.

Spring is here!

swinneyswitch March 5th, 2011 09:11 PM

Woo Hoo! Happy Dance...Happy Dance! Our 2011 garden is in the ground! Worked all week long and have everything in that we want and then some. I am so excited...now all I have to do is weed, water, search for pests, feed, and then start all over again until harvest time.

redneckplanter March 5th, 2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJonathan (Post 723938)
Compulsively checking a flat of dirt.

soil voeurism is a felony sj....smiles:D:D

redneckplanter March 5th, 2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinneyswitch (Post 723959)
Woo Hoo! Happy Dance...Happy Dance! Our 2011 garden is in the ground! Worked all week long and have everything in that we want and then some. I am so excited...now all I have to do is weed, water, search for pests, feed, and then start all over again until harvest time.

yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! grow it texan!!!!!!!!!!

SJonathan March 6th, 2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 723966)
soil voeurism is a felony sj....smiles:D:D

That makes your "show me your soil" thread internet pornography.

TastyofHasty March 6th, 2011 12:43 PM

Planted today, just 4 little bare-root fruit bushes: 2 goumi, 2 "Regent" Juneberry.

chickweed March 6th, 2011 04:10 PM

Just bought a used Ford 1320, 4WD tractor. Got a heck of a deal - and it came with front end loader, scraper, aerator, and bush hog attachments. In other words...no excuses for not getting things done this year!

springfever March 6th, 2011 10:18 PM

I just brought a small childs plastic pool on the deck to plant lettuce in. Went to BC today. yea!

hikingonthru March 7th, 2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 724309)
Just bought a used Ford 1320, 4WD tractor. Got a heck of a deal - and it came with front end loader, scraper, aerator, and bush hog attachments. In other words...no excuses for not getting things done this year!

Congrats on the great find! You will never know how you got by w/o a front end loader!

As for me - wishing I actually HAD a garden.

TastyofHasty March 11th, 2011 07:49 AM

Yesterday, planted spinach, Carouby de Maussane snow peas, and Oregon Sugar Pod snow peas, and Sugarsnap peas. ... then yesterday evening my big (for me) order of bare-root trees came in.

Connie King March 11th, 2011 01:45 PM

Just retired last October and wanted to finally grow some plants of my own. It’s been years since I attempted this and wanted to try the hydroponics method. I found this new information about Aquaponics and thought I would give it a try. I have been blown away with the results. You should check this out, it showed me everything I needed to do to get growing.
.....You may post garden related links after 25 legitimate posts.....

TastyofHasty March 12th, 2011 09:00 AM

CLICKBANK? ... http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/sig...el-no-spam.gif

lalbers March 12th, 2011 06:43 PM

I;m gonna try some spam in my garden this year. Might just grow in my short season....
Got ahold of my friend who has horse manure- thursday is the day he will fire up his tractor- I'll fire up my old 79 F350, and he'll load me up- at least two loads! Yippee!!!!! Hubs kids are here for spring break, so they can help- and till!!!! woot woot!

Izzy March 12th, 2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalbers (Post 728257)
I;m gonna try some spam in my garden this year.

But why? Spam is a noxious perennial growth that keeps coming back.

VA Gardener March 13th, 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 728300)
But why? Spam is a noxious perennial growth that keeps coming back.

Till it in for green manure? :D

bughunter99 March 13th, 2011 12:51 PM

Yay, no more snow! Its time to clean up the ice rink plastic!

seedlover March 13th, 2011 03:09 PM

I got some pepper and more tomatoes seeds started today. Have a few tomatoes, basil and fennel sprouted from seeds I started about a week ago.
I have 16" of snow on the ground, just went out and measured it. Lately it snows almost every day. Sure wish it would start to melt, I want to get in the garden. Temps are suppose to be warmer this week, sure hope so. I'm getting excited!!

Beet Greens March 13th, 2011 05:24 PM

Today I finished getting all those seeds into peat pots and under lights. Most of the seeds I planted under the lights last weekend are up and at least an inch tall now. If the rain and snow stay away I'll build a greenhouse next weekend and all the plants will move out there shortly after.

T'Gardenator March 14th, 2011 07:01 PM

Today I ripped open several blisters and skinned a knuckle hammering t-posts and hoeing rows!! No. . . I am not complaining about this. . . I've been waiting months to get those blisters lol :) I now have 5000 square feet of veggies planted and about 3000 more to go. Put in purple hull peas today and crossing my fingers it isn't a wee bit too early for them.

KentuckyGardenGirl March 14th, 2011 07:18 PM

Got my greenhouse up and have my seeds planted- Ozark Pink tomatoes, Reisenstraub Cherry Tomatoes, Ozark Giant peppers, Italian Pepperoncini peppers, Purple Tomatillos, and Jelly Melons- this week we'll be getting a load of chicken manure to spread in the garden then gonna till that with a bunch of partially composted leaves from last year, as well as some sand in hopes of loosening up this clay we've got here. Received my onion shipment from Dixondale today and hoping to get those into the ground, along with my beet seeds and peas, very soon.

Beet Greens March 15th, 2011 07:20 PM

Today I'm smiling...there's lots of little sprouts poking their little heads out of the seed starter today. I now have Roma Tomatoes, Black Krim tomatoes, lettuce, two kinds of squash,Broccoli, onions and two or three types of flowers up.

TXDirtDog March 15th, 2011 11:32 PM

Tilled up the rest of the squash patch using the cultivator on the weed eater. Got the wood and dirt for a 2nd raised bed. Started prepping an area between our house and the neighbors' for a new garden area.

OneoftheEarls March 16th, 2011 06:00 AM

starting trays...sidewalks are icy...yard still has snow....looking at the community garden project and fundraising

216 varieties of tomatoes are up or in...

another 72 join before Sunday

so all I have are plans and vision

Texas Kenny March 17th, 2011 01:24 PM

I gave all the Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi and Kale a good soaking drink. Next rain is possible the end of next week. I have all the drip tape on reels from last year. It needs to go out but time don't let it happen.
Plowed under the elbon winter cover crop on the pea field yesterday. Will sow the first peas about April 15. I hope the aphids leave them alone. Early plantings get sucked to death.
Picked 2 strawberrys yesterday. The late (Jan 5th) planted Sweet Charlies are covered in blooms and little green berries.
Trying to decide what to pull up in the quick hoop raised beds so I can plant the peppers and eggplants.
Potatos are up. Planted 500 lbs of seed potatos on Presidents Day.
Tomato Plants are going out to the field this afternoon. I won't stake them until I'm sure there is no chance of frost.
Need to plant Sweet Corn in the next day or two. I wish there was a little more moisture.
First early Squash and cucumbers are seeded in pots. Don't know why I couldn't have just planted in the field. Hundreds of pumpkins are growing all over the compost pile since I turned it last.
The extra hour of daylite in the evening is nice.
Weeds have not been a problem yet. Kenny near Henderson TX

TastyofHasty March 17th, 2011 02:33 PM

Mowed the side pasture till I got stopped by a flat tire on the 25 hp mowing lawnmower. Chopped back a lot of smooth sumac, anyway.

peapicker March 17th, 2011 06:39 PM

Cut more saplings for bean,tomato and southern peas
Hope to put in another 100 ft.
This should bring it to 500ft.
Sure gonna be a lot of beans if weather permitting

ovenbird March 17th, 2011 07:22 PM

I spent 2 hours out there and pulled some weeds, cleared off garden beds, dug holes to plant potatoes in tomorrow. (Yes, I know it isn't Good Friday, but that day is really late this year, so I am jumping the gun, I'll mulch them with some straw for protection) and put a wheelbarrow load of compost on the raised bed. Yes, you are right, I do take too many breaks.
I took one long break when the neighbor came over to vent about how difficult it is for her to teach her first graders now that test scores have become so important. She wanted to take them out for a little mid afternoon recess today because it was a rare beautiful warm March day, but was not allowed to because she had material to cover before some upcoming testing. And she told me that the schools are mainstreaming the Behavior Disordered students now.

TXDirtDog March 17th, 2011 08:06 PM

It's easier to show in pics than write a long post. As of today I am fully planted except for finding some cushaw seed, okra and melons will go in later and I'll drop a few more maters and sow some flowers around the front fence.

Bean trellis
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...rdening001.jpg

Arched trellises for cucs and squash
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...rdening002.jpg

Tomato rows
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...rdening003.jpg

Greens rows
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...rdening005.jpg

Raised beds with peppers and some others
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...rdening004.jpg

TXDirtDog March 17th, 2011 08:08 PM

5 image limit. Lol.

New area being prepped
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...rdening006.jpg

I'm a little tired. Lol.

grapenut March 17th, 2011 08:50 PM

Looking good TDD. Me, I'm thinking of getting some toy boats and set them adrift in my garden, my yard and field look like a swamp at the moment...go ahead! ask Sis how much rain we have had.:eek::D

TXDirtDog March 17th, 2011 09:20 PM

Thanks grapenut. I'm sorry ya'll are getting so much water. If you notice in my pics, I'm going for a combination of raising rows and digging drainage paths. I'm going to bury a few conduits later to allow overflow to drain off. I hope to avoid last year's debacle.

Sayin a prayer for ya'll to get some relief from the rains.

bdebonee March 18th, 2011 05:58 AM

I planted spinach, peas, radishes, carrots, and a few tomato starts in the ground.

Got my hills nice and ready for the melons.
Still adding the final touches to garden 1, then work on garden 2 can start.

Started even more maters! Oh man, I went overboard this year. I think somewhere around
9 varieties of tomatoes this year. and I'm trying them all. lol.
(this is alot for me with my limited space)

Went overboard with peppers too. Gosh darn it. Now I have to find more room for all this stuff.
Spring fever got me. =D

Grandpa says I've got so many plants around here we'll have tomatoes growing out the cabinets. lol.

SimonJester March 18th, 2011 07:45 AM

I'll be planting bell peppers, blackberries and a lime today. Temps should be in the 80s, so it will be a great day for it.

Texas Kenny March 18th, 2011 08:47 AM

Cut the first asparagus of the season this morning. NE-TX

VA Gardener March 18th, 2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Kenny (Post 731834)
Cut the first asparagus of the season this morning. NE-TX

My first asparagus shoot came up yesterday. Hopefully will be cutting it this weekend.

What did you do with yours - eat it raw?

halfway March 18th, 2011 09:04 AM

Just finished up-potting about 50% of my pepper seedlings into 3.5 inch pots. Coco coir is the medium and I am curious to see how this works out. It holds both oxygen and moisture very well and appears to do a great job of "wicking" when bottom fed.

My plan is to apply a diluted nutrient solution for the final 4 weeks before planting out. We will see how the plants do up until then and I may begin sooner if needed.

About half the peppers are still germinating and the tomatoes are right behind them. It's nice to have the expanded "glow" coming from the basement. It must be spring! :)

lalbers March 18th, 2011 04:43 PM

Grapenut, my parents live in Oregon also, and they are sprouting moss themselves. Send some rain down here, please!!!!! We really really really need it.
Got two truckloads of horse manure today- yippee! Will spread it around tomorrow when it isn't windy

Sister Fearless March 18th, 2011 05:33 PM

started some onions, lemon cukes....tomatoes....and basil in my green house porch....but holding out for direct sowing...the temps are getting closer but we keep having big hail storms and gully washer rain....still watching and waiting

ovenbird March 18th, 2011 06:57 PM

I went ahead and planted my potatoes today: October Blood, Golden Sunrise, Lump o' Gold, all three are OP potatoes from Tom Wagner, and Yukon Gold. I found a sale on seed potatoes on Wednesday, found one potato that was about 2" in diameter ( it cost me 6 cents), came home and cut it into 3 pieces and let them chit for 48 hours ( cut sides were dried and a little shriveled, so I think that was enough time), and they are now in the ground.

I dug huge deep holes and put my 2' tall hardware cloth rings in the holes. I got 4 gallons of worm castings and mixed them with the soil dug out of the holes and put about 4" of it back in the holes, planted the potatoes and covered it with 2" more soil to about 4" below the soil line. Then I added 8" of straw on top, so the seed potatoes are well mulched and insulated.

I grew the Tom Wagner potatoes from seed last year, but did not get any viable seed from them. Fortunately, The potatoes kept over the winter and I just replanted them. The were smallish potatoes with several eyes, so I just planted the whole potatoes.

Prairie Princess March 18th, 2011 10:46 PM

Went through all of my seeds.

I'm finally going to start some stuff tomorrow. Some things can't be set out here until around the 20th of May. Gonna whup the hubby into shape to help me with some things. Want to get a couple of raised beds ready for some cool season stuff like broc and cauliflower.

Hope it isn't snowing tomorrow.

redneckplanter March 18th, 2011 11:59 PM

stealing more leaves and big barrels...lol

TerpGal March 19th, 2011 12:14 AM

Potted up my tomato, pepper, and eggplant seedlings. Can't wait for the start of May.

happygardener March 19th, 2011 10:03 AM

Moving large pots onto driveway. Started 64 tomatoes and have room for 20 in garden, 10 in pots and will give the rest away, also donate some to St. Jude auction.

RozieDozie March 19th, 2011 10:28 AM

It's too early to plant anything yet, like tomatoes and peppers, although it has been 80+ degrees two days in a row. I'm soooooo tempted, but the "old timers" swear we are due for another hard freeze.

So..... I ordered more concrete blocks today for my raised beds (to be delivered Tuesday) and also ordered 32 cubic yards of compost mixed with Kricket Krap everyone swears is the best thing since sliced bread. My garden soil is El Yucko and has to be ammended with something "bought" or we won't get a garden this year.

I've been composting everything I can get my hands on like crazy but still don't have enough for this soil. Hope the Kricket Krap compost does the trick.

Anyone ever used Kricket Krap? Or is this just something they sell here?

w8in4dave March 19th, 2011 10:29 AM

W8n 4 my garden to dry out so I can plant something :D thinking on peas :D

RozieDozie March 19th, 2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 732495)
W8n 4 my garden to dry out so I can plant something :D thinking on peas :D

I planted my peas this past week. We need rain!!! LOL! Are gardeners ever satisfied??