IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

AnnClaire June 23rd, 2010 10:38 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Went out to water this PM and just about cried ... the wind changed direction and half my 5' sweet corn is laid down :/ I'll get up early tomorrow and water with the soaker hose if we don't get any rain tonight and hope the corn will stand back up ... maybe try to hill it tomorrow afternoon if it doesn't stand on its own ... and it tasseled this week!

Arrrggghhh ... next year, I am going back to planting 2 kernels per hole ... they withstand high winds better with each other for support.

hikingonthru June 24th, 2010 01:06 AM

Enjoying the matsuki cukes immensely. Crying that my yellow squash plants are not recovering from the hail storm. Wondering why my bell peppers are not doing any better. Getting ready to till my Pap's garden after he leaves town to work and put in some crowder peas.

chickweed June 24th, 2010 10:13 AM

Battling squash bugs. It is so hot that you would think that they would fry!

Amaranthos June 24th, 2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnClaire (Post 557788)
Arrrggghhh ... next year, I am going back to planting 2 kernels per hole ... they withstand high winds better with each other for support.

Hey, that's a good tip, thanks for sharing! :)

simplicity June 24th, 2010 04:05 PM

Wishing it wouldn't rain quite so much or as hard - a nice rain twice a week would be enough. Checking for insects (the dreaded Japanese beetles have arrived) and weeding have become routine. The garden is doing great for the most part.

Sungold IL June 24th, 2010 07:42 PM

Killing Japanese beetles.

Go4dagreen June 24th, 2010 08:39 PM

The cucumbers are growing like crazy right now. It is fun to go out and look at the vines ar around 5pm while the sun is still hot. The leaves are all droopy looking and they are slimy to touch. Then I go out again at dusk and the leaves are like new, perked up and fuzzy to touch. I am going to pick a couple of the young cukes tomorrow so the plants keep producing. They are doing better than anyting else in the garden.

tashak June 25th, 2010 11:45 AM

Harvested shallots and a couple radishes.
Have two short rows of a lettuce variety that is not performing well so I'm going to plant or transplant something else there tonight or tomorrow and learn if it is the location or that lettuce variety.
Long beans are up. I need to do a couple more bamboo teepees for some other vining stuff that isn't quite ready to transplant, and I also need to transplant some head cabbage in the next few days.
Earlier today transplanted Navaho Gold, 4corners squash, tomatillo, cushaw.
Getting hot already this morning.
I think the neighbor's mint transplant is going into a large pot as soon as I figure out where to put that and how to shade it.
Rumors of possible rain tonight and tomorrow night.

nullzero66 June 25th, 2010 12:26 PM

This season has been low key compared to last. I have been busy with a new job and away from my plants more then I like :(. So I decided to do low maintenance herbs and maintaining my containerized fruit trees.

weedy June 25th, 2010 12:58 PM

Just in from the garden planted 2 1/2 rows (250 feet) of Bodacious sweet corn (4th planting) 1/2 row (50 feet) of Blue Lake beans (2nd planting). I have the soaker hose going on the maters now. Picked the squash AGAIN.

hikingonthru June 25th, 2010 08:47 PM

Well, we got a hard rain here today soaking the ground...so no planting crowders tomorrow. Since we had a good rain and the beds got soaked, I broke open the compost pens and used some of to mulch the raised beds about 4 inches deep to help hold some of that precious water in. Now, this is just leaves from the Fall...no new green stuff but that pile was HOT to the touch in the middle. It was warm when I laid it out so I know it is just blessing those roots with warmth, not scorch. I did work night 12s the past two nights and was so tired today I could not even ride my nordictrack. Did not sleep well and got the grass cut. Took down the electric fence wires around my garden. The dogs just hop over or under it anyway. It looks better and the grass between the beds is easier to mow.

My thinned cukes along the fence are starting to do OK as are the vining okra (louffa). My okra sets are pooping out and I have a single okra. I ought to slice and fry it on principle. I could make a jigger of gumbo!

Trimmed my mater plants to keep the air circulating and now the low toms got sunscald real bad.

AND my mother actually got me one of the topsy-turvy things. It is a humourous looking contraption and I actually put one of the leftover tom seedlings in it just to see if it works.

pita June 26th, 2010 09:43 PM

Weeding, weeding and more weeding...the rains have finally backed off some, and temps in the low 80's today, so the weeds are having a field day...where's my scythe:eek:

pita out!

tughillcam June 27th, 2010 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my garden as of 2 days ago...
potatoes in the foreground, the other stuff is still small so can't be seen well-

Attachment 10437

chickweed June 27th, 2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 560042)
potatoes in the foreground, the other stuff is still small so can't be seen well-

Attachment 10437

That is one beautiful garden!

chickweed June 27th, 2010 08:25 AM

Weeding, watering, watering, watering, weeding........

tughillcam June 27th, 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 560069)
That is one beautiful garden!

LOVE my 4 hp mantis !
I also grow double rows of potatoes. I grow 2 rows side by side 12-14 inches apart - that way I hill the sides and center while
the middle holds the water instead of running off both sides.

ratdog June 27th, 2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 560042)

Attachment 10437

Your garden looks great!!http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...isc1/thumb.gif

tughillcam June 27th, 2010 11:13 AM

Thanks ! it's a work of Love-
my garden is my church :)

Trisha June 28th, 2010 08:21 AM

The drought is getting bad, but at least I don't have to mow the lawn now. Wildlife is attracted to the yard because we have a little pond and the birds are controlling the insects. But, the squirrels polished off the Asian pears while we went camping for a few days. The blackberries dried on the vine in the heat, too small a window during ripening. The middle eastern melons love the heat as long as I keep them watered. The Tappy's tomatoes are producing heavily but all other kinds have stopped. Peppers are finally growing, having waited for the temperatures to warm. Next year I will plant the basil in afternoon shade because it is getting fried. Only the volunteers under the tomatoes are palatable.

We did get 38 pounds of Yukon Golds from our 'tater patch!

MichiganderGardener June 28th, 2010 02:26 PM

Tug, those are some nice looking potatoes you got!! :)

Rain, rain and more rain this past week..Great for the garden, but getting lots of weeds..so been out weeding and hoeing...Transplanted the last of the tomatoes, hauled several wheelbarrow loads of chicken compost and spread around my watermelons, squash, corn ,and tomatoes..and last week planted another row of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans.

Supported/trained my Armenian Cukes to climb up a trellis in the greenhouse. They are going gangbusters and now flowering..

I picked my strawberries and the last of my rhubarb last week and made a lot of strawberry rhubarb jam...

ratdog June 28th, 2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 560168)

I can relate to that!:D

southerncomfrey June 28th, 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 560168)

I totally agree.:D

Love them 'taters!

lorna-organic June 28th, 2010 04:48 PM

Good job, Tug, lovely garden! Most of my stuff is still on the runty side, but a few plants are beginning to branch out and do their thing. :) I harvested my first patty pan squash today. :)

I hope we will get some good rain. It is sprinkling. There is thunder in the distance, moving closer with each rumble. A nice bank of dark clouds is moving in. I hope the payload gets dropped here. That would be three periods of rain in the last four days, a good thing for a desert garden.

tughillcam June 28th, 2010 05:16 PM

Thanks Lorna-
I know it doesn't sound like much to some but we've got over 8 inches this month.
That's alot for around here

hikingonthru June 28th, 2010 09:10 PM

Hey tug...send some of that rain down here...the slow, gentle kind..but after I get the hail damage on the roof fixed! Haha!

Today, I harvested some maters...the slugs and birds have been having at them...really hate it is so hard for them, but it is a good reason to put out a bird feeder and birdbath...and some beer tins for the slugs. Hey, if you gotta go...why not go drowning in a good american ale?

Got me some more cukes. Filled the kids pool with water today...will recycle into the garden.

Trimmed the cilantro and basil back. Thinned the basil in my pots and transplanted more in between the maters. Watered the cukes. Watered the bell peppers...which are ALSO getting attacked by insects...most are getting holes in them. Sweated a lot.

I also rode my Harley about 75 miles today. To computer training for my grad assistantship, but took the scenic ways and enjoyed myself. Four wheels carry the body....two wheels transport the soul. Dunno what that has to do with gardening, but it was very relaxing.

HillsideDigger June 28th, 2010 09:45 PM

For my gardens, I am reading the wisdom of all you pro's right now.

tughillcam June 29th, 2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikingonthru (Post 561264)
Hey tug...send some of that rain down here...the slow, gentle kind..but after I get the hail damage on the roof fixed! Haha!

Today, I harvested some maters...the slugs and birds have been having at them...really hate it is so hard for them, but it is a good reason to put out a bird feeder and birdbath...and some beer tins for the slugs. Hey, if you gotta go...why not go drowning in a good american ale?

Got me some more cukes. Filled the kids pool with water today...will recycle into the garden.

Trimmed the cilantro and basil back. Thinned the basil in my pots and transplanted more in between the maters. Watered the cukes. Watered the bell peppers...which are ALSO getting attacked by insects...most are getting holes in them. Sweated a lot.

I also rode my Harley about 75 miles today. To computer training for my grad assistantship, but took the scenic ways and enjoyed myself. Four wheels carry the body....two wheels transport the soul. Dunno what that has to do with gardening, but it was very relaxing.

boy, it was a gentle one yesterday... almost soft, but steady. Hail ? yukko... you can keep that !
I had my 'recipe' analyzed.. using it this year, (NPK is 2.2 - 3.6 - 12.3).
I realized slugs and snails HATE it. YAY ! one more reason to use it !
Gotta look up Winter... he'd like to know :)

AnnClaire July 2nd, 2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go4dagreen (Post 558493)
The cucumbers are growing like crazy right now. It is fun to go out and look at the vines ar around 5pm while the sun is still hot. The leaves are all droopy looking and they are slimy to touch. Then I go out again at dusk and the leaves are like new, perked up and fuzzy to touch. I am going to pick a couple of the young cukes tomorrow so the plants keep producing. They are doing better than anyting else in the garden.

I am watering once a day still ... gotta just LOVE the water retention of the mulch! It is already helping with the water bill!

As for the wilting of the cucumbers, I understand that this contributes to bitter cukes and open centers ... at least that is what I found last year. My cukes are only a couple of inches long yet, so I cannot say if the water retention of the mulch will affect those issues this year, but they have not wilted once in the high heat we have been having ... and we haven't had rain for at least 3 weeks, so the daily watering is all the moisture they are getting :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaranthos (Post 558325)
Hey, that's a good tip, thanks for sharing! :)

Well, Tuesday the corn was starting to right itself and by yesterday was standing tall again ... it was over 6' when knocked down and is 7' now ... also tasseling so I am brushing through the patch each morning, shaking stalks :D

Found a mater on one of the beefsteaks that is already the size of my thumb! Woohoo!

Pulled the second thinning of the carrots Wednesday and they were SWEEEEEEET!

Found 2 peppers on my sweet bananas that are over 2" and I know they weren't there Wed morning!

We are supposed to get a break from the heat this weekend, but the tomatoes are still blooming and putting on maters, so planting them where they get afternoon shade and mulching well has definitely made a difference this year!

I have been a firm believer in composting and soil ammending, but I am now a true believer in using grass clippings for mulch! If ya ain't doin it, ya should be! :D It cuts down on the weeds too ... I only pulled 8 weeds this week and most of them were in the bare earth of the onion patch which I will probably mulch next year too!

chickweed July 2nd, 2010 09:02 AM

Succession planting and weeding, watering, weeding, watering.....

woodwitch July 2nd, 2010 09:17 AM

Water water water weed weed weed pick. Wish there was less watering and weeding and more picking.

JanAdy July 5th, 2010 04:53 AM

Here (in central France) we had a week of torrential rain that battered everything. Then a week of heat (mid-day temps of 40C in permanent shade). One night of thunder/lighting that shook the 18in thick walls of my house. You're welcome to some of our weather.

This morning I transplanted the sweetcorn and potted some more pea seeds and checked the electric fencing for the sheep.
Now doing indoor jobs coz it's getting up to the high 30'sC again

weedy July 5th, 2010 10:27 AM

Soaker hose going on green beans this morning. No rain on the garden here in nearly a month.( South central Missouri)
JanAdy I'd be more then happy to take some of that rain you can keep the high temps we have plenty of that.:D

hikingonthru July 7th, 2010 04:48 AM

Replanting the cukes that my dogs dug up.

Penny July 7th, 2010 06:29 AM

Tughill....that garden looks great!

T'Gardenator July 7th, 2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikingonthru (Post 566380)
Replanting the cukes that my dogs dug up.

Oh!! F-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-ing! My dog has had her naughty little paws in my garden a time or two also :) -good luck with replanting if you can!

hikingonthru July 10th, 2010 04:21 PM

Watching the skies and hoping it will rain soon...can't water for an empty rain barrel.

TastyofHasty July 10th, 2010 11:18 PM

That is such a helpless feeling, watching everything dry up and wilt for lack of water. Hiking, I liked what Emerald said about half-burying milk jugs with little holes in the bottom next to plants you just HAVE to save, half-fill them with water ...

I changed my mind about where to plant three blueberry plants; dug up the area BEHIND our shed, threw on some sulfur, threw on a big bag of peat, dug it in just before torrential rain hit the shed roof. It falls from the roof right on that area, so it's been soaked several times the last few days. Tomorrow the blueberries go in the ground.

hikingonthru July 11th, 2010 08:27 PM

I finally gave up and hooked up the irrigation system...with faucet water. Beats everything dying.

I am actually wanting to plant some late cowpeas at my dad's garden. Since we don't get frost till late Nov. or even Dec. here anymore (Oct. used to be hogkilling month), they will likely make just fine. Not long till time to put in collards and fall kale.

Amaranthos July 11th, 2010 08:55 PM

Planted blueberry bushes in a raised and heavily amended bed. :)

T'Gardenator July 12th, 2010 04:15 PM

Am about to head out to the garden in an attempt to reclaim my vacation neglected garden :D - and get rid of the squash bugs that moved in while I was away :mad:

RebelDigger July 12th, 2010 09:08 PM

Had an eye doctor appt. today so did not get much done. Picked tomatoes and okra, found one squash bug and a couple of clutches of eggs, got rid of them. Tomorrow I need to finish building my trellis for the zukes I planted last week as they are coming up. Also, need to mow the grass so will have more clippings to do more mulching, love mulching with grass clippings, has cut down my weeding time drastically this year. Wish I had thought of it years ago!! Also will be potting up some cucumber and yellow squash seed to have seedlings ready to set out next month for a late crop.

SherylGallant July 13th, 2010 06:04 AM

Weeding :rolleyes:
Hand pollinating the squash and typing up the vines and tomatoes each day as they grow. Picking zucchini.

T'Gardenator July 13th, 2010 01:19 PM

Massive weeding frenzy! :eek::D Also picked about 8 pounds worth of peppers. Gonna try freezing 'em since I like to fry them :)

AnnClaire July 16th, 2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelDigger (Post 570153)
<snip good stuff> Also, need to mow the grass so will have more clippings to do more mulching, love mulching with grass clippings, has cut down my weeding time drastically this year. Wish I had thought of it years ago!!

Isn't it AMAZING how well that stuff works? :D I also switched to mulching with gc's this year and am a convert! I cruise the alleyways and neighborhood on saturday morning for bagged clippings LOL It also does a bang up job of conserving moisture and the high heat does not stress the plants at all this year!

I am also a major convert for laying down a layer of leaf mold under the gc's with compost sprinkled on top ... it makes the compost go way further, and the plants seem to be just as happy with this rather than the straight compost I used to use.

July garden pics - planted 4/15:
http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/u...url/Gardening/

T'Gardenator July 16th, 2010 01:34 PM

having a heat stroke in my garden today :( didn't get a whole lot done by the time I had to come in and jump in a cold shower !! arg!:eek:

hikingonthru July 18th, 2010 12:46 AM

Looking at the weeding and deciding they are not weeds...they are flowers...and they are my friends. I don't like to cut on my friends...problem solved!

EcoSafeMom July 19th, 2010 12:40 AM

I tied up the potatoes that were all falling over to get them off the grass.
I dumped the slug beer coffins, rinsed & refilled them.
Since my squash was preventing half my corn from growing and I didn't have enough to pollinate and produce. I pulled it out to give the tomatoes more direct sun and the squash room to escape the bed because the leaves were getting so jammed up in there the squash are growing pinned between them.
I bought more bamboo stakes and gave some of my tomatoes more support.

T'Gardenator July 19th, 2010 07:46 AM

Going to attempt to weed. Using our share of hay off the field as mulch to keep the weeds down. . . *really* hope it works <sigh> hate those weeds :)

Go4dagreen July 19th, 2010 08:32 AM

Yesterday I harvested seeds from one radish plant from Spring 2010. Got almost 150 good seeds from one plant. Going to pick 3-4 more nice cucumbers today.

JanAdy July 21st, 2010 01:10 PM

Watching the rain -AGAIN.

Sat, Sun, Mon we had temps up to 38C in the shade --- Just coz I was working from 6.30a.m. till 9p.m.
Tues I stayed in bed most of the day -- and it was warm.
Today -- just because I'm feeling nice and refreshed and relaxed --It Rains
Typical!

capebuffalo July 21st, 2010 04:16 PM

praying for my 1st ripe tomato , some male blossoms for my little girl cukes and rain would be nice :rolleyes:. be nice to get some blossoms on my melons.

debating on ripping out my last broccoli plant , never produced a head and i think the heat will prevent that now. prolly wasting water on it.

debating on picking all my peas and ripping those plants out. i don't think they will produce more as they are turning brown at their base , even though they are watered good.

trying to figure out how a deer managed to get inside my boma, didn't eat anything but it's only a matter of time as everything else drys up.

left some pruners :eek: beside my rinky dink luffa , in the hopes it commits suicide and i can justify ripping it out.

capebuff

TastyofHasty July 22nd, 2010 11:43 PM

I've started watering some in the garden. Especially, filling the gallon milk cartons with little holes in the bottom, half-buried ... now I've got them with new squash plants all around them, and basil planted around three more. Also planted a couple rows of yard-long beans, which I'm just watering in the evenings, and planted some Marengo Romano pole beans ... which I may have soaked too long in advance ... we'll see if anything comes up.

I'm siphoning rainwater out of a 55-gallon barrel into buckets right now ... leave siphon flowing into one bucket while I go water with the other, got to get the big water tank hooked up to a hose.

And I've got little lettuce babies in the pots I planted in the south-facing window, inside. I've been thinking ... in about a month, I can transplant some of them to the garden in a shady spot. It's about time to start fall garden stuff! I am not good at that ... it always seems too hot out there.

chocolatepop July 23rd, 2010 12:19 AM

probably gonna pluck out some of my cole crops as well as my peas, gonna throw on some fish emulsion tomorrow too.

chickweed July 25th, 2010 11:20 PM

I am in mourning for my gardens.....

Direct Sunlight July 26th, 2010 03:56 PM

Well, I came back from vacation yesterday, and tried to put things in order today. We had someone water some but they didn't pick anything. Threw out about 6 rotten tomatoes and a cushaw that had split open and leaked foul-smelling liquid when it was picked up. :eek: Hopefully another one that split a couple of days ago can still yield some fruit; it's a thirteen-pounder. I sprayed the garden with a mix of bt and garlic juice to eliminate the mildew I saw on the cushaw & try to save the hubbard squash (dying again). The cushaw vines seem to have suffered badly in my absence, am not sure why. I planted a few more seeds in case I ever get the hubbard figured out.

I picked about 3 Wal-mart bags full of stuff; the okra took as long to pick as everything else put together. Some of it's so solid you could play darts with it. :) One watermelon I think is ready; if it's good then it'll be time to pick some more. It was only 12 pounds; the Moon & Stars is supposed to be bigger than that. If it's good though it'll be plenty for us & friends. Last, I uprooted the corn from the spring, and planted some more in its place. It should be ready to pick the first or second week of October. The first batch didn't do too well, so hopefully I've learned when to pick it.

AnnClaire July 27th, 2010 01:43 AM

Getting ready to pull the corn stalks, harvesting pickling cukes and table cukes every day, picking okra every other day, picking banana peppers once a week, picked the first two jalapenos today, pulled two romas today.

rockpilefarmer July 27th, 2010 09:45 PM

fall planting. Squash (summer) turnips, beets, lettuces....just the start.

Sorellina July 29th, 2010 08:17 AM

Ciao all-

There's just no way to "catch up" with the weeding, so I pull out the biggest ones and the nastiest ones until my bin is full and call it a day. We had a very large thunderstorm yesterday which once again filled the rain barrels to over-flowing. I need to figure out a plan for how to deal with that wasted water. I'm still picking cucumbers, zucchini, romano beans, and eggplants every day, but thank you God, none of it is overwhelming me with massive numbers yet. Lots of male pumpkin blossoms but few female ones. I have 3 Galeaux d'Eyesines pumpkins growing off 6 plants, but it's in a 3 sisters bed so the vines are not in full sun. Still, I use the male blossoms for fritters and it's fun to grow my own pumpkins, even if the production is low. Another disappointing year for my okra. I need to grow more plants, lots more plants if I'm to be able to actually use my garden-grown okra in anything. My cowpeas and soldier beans are growing nicely where the Asian greens were. I'm down to 4 Russian Red kale plants now. All the rest succumbed to head rot but not before giving me just an insane amount of produce. I've got to sow more lettuce today where the kale was. Now it's staking things before they blow over in the storms, keeping up with tying tomatoes and tacking down wayward bean tendrils and cucumber vines, picking up fallen fruit to keep the wasps and flies in check.

woodwitch July 29th, 2010 09:07 AM

Getting ready to harvest onions and carrots and get some of the beds ready for fall planting.

hikingonthru July 29th, 2010 01:12 PM

Watching everything dry up. Umpteenth day in a row with temps in high 90s and heat index past 100. It is hot Hot HOT!!! And not the good HoT...like me!

nordicnacho July 29th, 2010 01:24 PM

I'm feeding my peppers dead animal by products.

Amaranthos July 29th, 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicnacho (Post 582862)
I'm feeding my peppers dead animal by products.

Carnivorous peppers? :eek:

T'Gardenator August 1st, 2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direct Sunlight (Post 580821)
Well, I came back from vacation yesterday, and tried to put things in order today. We had someone water some but they didn't pick anything. Threw out about 6 rotten tomatoes and a cushaw that had split open and leaked foul-smelling liquid when it was picked up. :eek: Hopefully another one that split a couple of days ago can still yield some fruit; it's a thirteen-pounder. I sprayed the garden with a mix of bt and garlic juice to eliminate the mildew I saw on the cushaw & try to save the hubbard squash (dying again). The cushaw vines seem to have suffered badly in my absence, am not sure why. I planted a few more seeds in case I ever get the hubbard figured out.

I picked about 3 Wal-mart bags full of stuff; the okra took as long to pick as everything else put together. Some of it's so solid you could play darts with it. :) One watermelon I think is ready; if it's good then it'll be time to pick some more. It was only 12 pounds; the Moon & Stars is supposed to be bigger than that. If it's good though it'll be plenty for us & friends. Last, I uprooted the corn from the spring, and planted some more in its place. It should be ready to pick the first or second week of October. The first batch didn't do too well, so hopefully I've learned when to pick it.

My corn didn't do well either! :eek: And I know a couple other people right around here who's yields were 1/2 of what they were last year. go figure.

T'Gardenator August 1st, 2010 09:30 PM

Planted some Red Chinese pole beans today around my sunflower stalks then spent the evening weeding the melon patch. Found some huge ones hiding in some overgrown grass! :D

Sorellina August 2nd, 2010 03:46 PM

Ciao all-

Today's a holiday in Ontario and we've spent it at home catching up on gardening, smoking a pork shoulder and 2 racks of ribs, and just enjoying the cooler weather. I finally got around to sowing more lettuce, this time a blend of different varieties from SSE. I also sowed 2 rows of Vittoria bush beans where the Russian Red Kale was and hilled my leeks again. Now that the kale's out, the leeks are really starting to fatten up. I also planted some red onions I still had in a cell pack. I had no idea how many little plants you get in a cell-pack, but I sure know now. I still have some left so I have to think about where I want to shoehorn them in. Lawns got mowed today, Duane got the garage cleaned up and we're now ready to relax with some good barbeque, a slow-roasted heirloom bread pudding, and a large garden salad. Beer's on the menu, too.

Direct Sunlight August 4th, 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T'Gardenator (Post 584880)
My corn didn't do well either! :eek: And I know a couple other people right around here who's yields were 1/2 of what they were last year. go figure.

I've heard that planting corn around here is a real gamble, but lots of people do it anyway...

Sungold IL August 4th, 2010 09:02 PM

urgh. 60+ mph wind gusts this morning wreaked havoc on my tomatoes. Some of my cages are only 4 feet tall and the parts of the plant above that got completely bent. The tomatoes in the bigger cages fared better, but the cages all leaned over too far. I spent a lot of time pruning back tomatoes. Though, I've still got a lot of tomatoes coming!

And I keep picking patty pan squash...

Nokiaj August 9th, 2010 06:45 AM

Waiting for just one tomato (birds or other "critters" have been beating me to the 'pickin'...a few melons still on the vine - may have "gotten" the critter eating the early ones.... started lettuces, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and can't remember everything this morning - started in the greenhouse...we'll see what comes up!

GGKerry August 10th, 2010 05:59 AM

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...49740518371512
Admiring!
And... of course, weeding, neeming, harvesting, waiting on those darn maters to ripen already!

OneoftheEarls August 10th, 2010 07:48 AM

waiting for ripening....of the bazillion tomato fruits

chickweed August 10th, 2010 07:51 AM

Still waiting for triple digit heat to abate so I can plant a fall garden.

woodwitch August 10th, 2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 590794)
Still waiting for triple digit heat to abate so I can plant a fall garden.

Me too. I have one bed ready to go but it is way to hot to plant.

KellyGardens August 10th, 2010 11:41 PM

Spent my evening helping cucumbers up their trellis, tying up and moving tomato plants and pondering whether or not to pull up my fava beans and replace them with something else.

chickweed August 11th, 2010 11:21 AM

Today, I am going to my chiropractor, so I can be in shape to welcome cooler weather!

lorna-organic August 11th, 2010 11:43 AM

I finally got my hands on some fish emulsion. I began the process of fertilizing this morning. It will take me awhile, as I do it by hand.

TastyofHasty August 11th, 2010 08:14 PM

Squash bugs on yellow crookneck squash, got squashed. And little golden eggs on leaves got ripped off. That's about it.

springfever August 11th, 2010 08:40 PM

I've pulled up most of my tomato plants and all my cucumber plants but one and my cantaloupe plants.
I'm thinking of planting something but don't know what.

woodwitch August 11th, 2010 08:40 PM

Watering watering watering. No rain for 2 weeks. A big rain cloud passed right over the house this evening and nada.

chickweed August 11th, 2010 09:45 PM

I drove through a storm coming home from chiro today. As usual, it split and went around our property. We did get a sprinkle in part of the yard. The hood of one car and half the top was wet - the trunk and the other part of the top was bone dry!

w8in4dave August 11th, 2010 10:27 PM

We had a monsoon here, up north lol ..............

Trisha August 16th, 2010 08:27 PM

Watering. I am picking peppers and collards but everything else has stopped producing or died. I can't plant fall crops because of the heat. I am burying my kitchen waste in the beds where fall crops will go because it is so hot that the compost pile gets baked dry.

T'Gardenator August 17th, 2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 592538)
I drove through a storm coming home from chiro today. As usual, it split and went around our property. We did get a sprinkle in part of the yard. The hood of one car and half the top was wet - the trunk and the other part of the top was bone dry!

LOL! same thing happened here. Been hoping and hoping for some of the rain the weather man said was heading for us. Then drove through a gully washer on my way home thinking . . . yeay!!! got half a mile from our house and everything was bone dry. completely missed us. ARGH! :D such is life and rain!

JanR August 17th, 2010 08:59 AM

Be careful what you hope for! :) I wanted it to rain last weekend and boy did it rain. It didn't stop for 3 days and now it is cold. 41 F last night. :eek: and it is raining again.

poypoyking August 17th, 2010 11:00 AM

I am anxiously checking my garden every day for new tomatoes :) I am at 73 DTM right now, so things are starting to blush everywhere.

I did pull up the last of my lettuce the other day, other than that weed control and tomato/pepper prowling.

JanAdy August 18th, 2010 12:26 AM

supposed to be doing my friends garden ready for her coming over on holiday and .....
Guess what?
First rain in a week.

JanR August 18th, 2010 08:17 AM

Picking Beans, picking beans and picking more beans and putting them all in the freezer. Trying to prop up my corn that gone blown over in the wind. :( Too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I can't wait until I can retire. :)

springfever August 18th, 2010 08:51 PM

I went out this evening and planted some turnip seeds, then realized, I have never grown a turnip.
I don't know if I planted it at the right time or the right depth or anything.
What was I thinking!!!
Well, I only had 3 small spots, each one about 3 ft. square and that may be too small.
Help, please.

nullzero66 August 19th, 2010 06:19 PM

Recently potted a peruvian prickly pear pad to root. Now waiting on it to root, cant wait to have some sweet Tuna fruit. Also waiting on Yacon and OCA plants to come in the mail.

Jennie_in_Iowa August 20th, 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfever (Post 598609)
Help, please.

Spring, Turnips are EASY! I grew a 5 foot row of them this spring with no troubles to speak of. I planted them a week or two before last frost.

Planting depth of 1/4 is fine. Each turnip needs a 4" Diameter area to get to full size unstressed. Grow until you can see the shoulders poking up and they look about right. :-)

I bet a fall crop is great, idiggers assure me they can survive my zone 4 Iowa in the ground under hay bales, I bet you'll have turnips to harvest until the ground freezes in MO.

VA Gardener August 26th, 2010 08:53 AM

Did a second planting of my fall garden - spinach, lettuce, parsley, dill, radishes.
About a month ago did the first planting - peas, carrots, green bunching onions, beets, chard.
The third one will be in October - garlic and perennial onions.

Tia August 26th, 2010 10:29 AM

We finally got a good deal of rain the other day and the humidity has lessened, so I'm taking advantage of the soft soil and WEEDING, WEEDING, WEEDING! In those close-to-100 days, it kinda got away from me so I'm playing catchup. Pretty soon I'll start putting in my winter garden. Should've started already according to my gardening calendar, but it's just been waaaay to hot for cabbage and broccoli, and seeds would never have germinated. . .I wouldn't be able to keep them moist!

It was so hot, my tomatoes, peppers & eggplant stopped producing, but they've decided to start again. . .especially the peppers! The plants are about 5' tall! I've never seen pepper plants that tall before, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to stake them!

I'm watching my volunteer pumpkin patch. It's spreading out in all directions and I have lots and lots of pumpkins.

lovetheland August 26th, 2010 01:07 PM

Weeded my herb and native wildflower garden yesterday. Cut and washed peppermint, spearmint and sage which is now drying for teas, cooking and soap. Moved the compost pile out from under the trees so it will not linger in moisture and also so it will be more accessible for turning. Watching my beans grow that I planted a while ago and I'm excited about fall beans. Harvesting lettuce and flower seeds. Amazing, always something to do!

lorna-organic August 26th, 2010 01:19 PM

I planted tepary beans, cauliflower and carrots this morning. I have been anxiously watching for sprouts of some greens I planted a couple of weeks ago. I spotted a few tiny sprouts. Weeding is an on-going, daily process since the monsoon rains. My compost pile is growing by leaps and bounds. I got about 25% germination on the Roma green beans I planted a little while ago. Plants seem to be doing well.

I found a mystery pumpkin or squash plant growing along my driveway. I adopted it and am looking forward to seeing what it is.

JanAdy November 3rd, 2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorna-organic (Post 604656)
I found a mystery pumpkin or squash plant growing along my driveway. I adopted it and am looking forward to seeing what it is.

Earlier this year I chucked a load of old pumpkin seeds out. All mouse nibbled or going moldy etc. 3 plants grew - up the hedge - through the hedge - into my neighbouring field - all over the place. Would have had about 30 pumpies but the hens and goat beat me to them. Managed to rescue 10 of them and have made stacks of pumpkin marmalade and soups, got some in store and roasted some of the seeds for myself. Also dried some seeds for future use.:)

MVNewf November 3rd, 2010 12:14 PM

What am I doing for my garden right now? :D:D Nuttin. It is as bare as bare can be:D:D was 26 this morning

jbosmith November 3rd, 2010 06:10 PM

Looking at seed company websites!

It's too cold for anything else.

catgrass November 4th, 2010 08:33 AM

I'll be cutting broccoli in a couple days-and if our "cool" front isn't too cool, I'll have tomatoes in about 1 1/2-2 weeks! Will probably pull up one of the two remaining bell pepper plants-tired of messing with them.

ACW November 4th, 2010 10:04 AM

collecting leaves and mulching the slowly emptying beds ,still a few runner beans making slow growth may get a few portions before we finally get a killer frost !

Nastarana November 4th, 2010 12:22 PM

Well, I went and builded my very first evey cold frame--'built' is an exageration, it consisted of an old door with glass panels propped up on four cinder blocks, and, so far, leaves heaped up along the sides. I plan to fill in the sides with mineral water and wine bottles I have been saving as soon as ithe rain stops. The baby lettuce plants inside are thriving so far.

Sorellina November 4th, 2010 04:23 PM

Brr. I know I'll be thinking what we have right now is warm in about a month. It still feels cold out there. I chopped more plants for the compost, cut down the iris and phlox, pulled borage and thistles for yard waste pickup tomorrow. Everything's done for now, but there's still tidy up to do before things get all frozen and gooey. Most of the soaker hoses are still in place and they'll need to get tied up for garage storage, likewise all of the stakes. Most of the plants are out now, though. I still have raking to do because not all of the trees have lost their leaves. That'll be fun.