IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

tashak February 2nd, 2010 11:10 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Waiting, waiting, waiting. Currently snowfree (but snow will be back), ground still wet/muddy from all the melting, too cold and wet and early to plant outside. Need to find the indoor heat mat so I can start stuff inside in March/April.

bughunter99 February 2nd, 2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 454631)
I want one of those! Hubs says we already have them - raised beds and compost pile. We bought worm eggs for the first big raised bed and waited like expected parents for them to hatch! If we keep getting winters like this, I am going to put one of those condos in the house, regardless!

I highly recommend it! This is the second winter mine have been in the house and there is zero odor and zero problem, and man the stuff that they make is pure gold! I have them outdoors in the summertime in the shade because that gives me lots more "worm tea" which the plants seem to love.

I have this set-up. Pricey but worth in in my opinion. Really easy to change the bins around, very mobile and has been a great learning experience for the munchkins. :)

Mt.Imagine February 2nd, 2010 10:37 PM

My cucumbers have started fruiting, my peas have germinated, and I'm nearly done with my protective netting. Everything I've planted in greenhouse a last month has come up, and is growing fast and healthy--hopefully the litchi tomato will fruit this time! I started 7 papaya seedlings in my greenhouse; 3 were deemed insufficiently healthy for planting in the germination/hardening process, and of the 4 planted out, two have died. What a bother! I think I will just direct seed next time; though I realize the ones that have survived were the biggest ones, I really dread having to go through all of that again. Hopefully my tamarillo trees, also greenhouse-started, will do better.

lumina February 3rd, 2010 10:51 PM

Some of my salad greens are BITTER. Time to pull up & plant some more.

chickweed February 3rd, 2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bughunter99 (Post 454796)
I highly recommend it! This is the second winter mine have been in the house and there is zero odor and zero problem, and man the stuff that they make is pure gold! I have them outdoors in the summertime in the shade because that gives me lots more "worm tea" which the plants seem to love.

I have this set-up. Pricey but worth in in my opinion. Really easy to change the bins around, very mobile and has been a great learning experience for the munchkins. :)

Thanks - I bookmarked the site. They are not as expensive as some I have seen.

velcromom February 3rd, 2010 11:53 PM

Not doing much garden stuff besides enjoying the fresh buttercrunch and romaine lettuce, a few radishes too... getting ready to wintersow a few things as soon as this rotten cold goes away!

hikingonthru February 5th, 2010 09:40 PM

Trimmed back the muscadine vines and the pruned the pear & peach trees in my very tiny little orchard plot at the farm.

Dying that I did not do this college thing right the first time. Proud I am doing it right this time.
Missing the time with family and in the garden it means presently.

garden_vato February 6th, 2010 12:14 AM

went out and pulled up some plants that were still out there. trying to figure out where im going to put everything.....it wouldnt be quite so hard if i wasnt growing so many peppers, but........theres just no arguing with the capsicum addiction. the good thing is im not growing any corn in my own garden, so that will free up A LOT of room. i will probably still grow some flour corn over at my sisters place though. i will also be putting a garden in down at my brothers house. hes in afghanistan at the moment and will be back in july or august, so **** be getting back right as things start to take off and he wont have to do the work of putting it all together.....so im working on plans for that as well.

chickweed February 6th, 2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt.Imagine (Post 455184)
My cucumbers have started fruiting, my peas have germinated, and I'm nearly done with my protective netting. Everything I've planted in greenhouse a last month has come up, and is growing fast and healthy--hopefully the litchi tomato will fruit this time! I started 7 papaya seedlings in my greenhouse; 3 were deemed insufficiently healthy for planting in the germination/hardening process, and of the 4 planted out, two have died. What a bother! I think I will just direct seed next time; though I realize the ones that have survived were the biggest ones, I really dread having to go through all of that again. Hopefully my tamarillo trees, also greenhouse-started, will do better.

I am living vicariously through you!

pepperhead212 February 6th, 2010 10:20 AM

Watching it get covered, deeper and deeper...

Up to 16" so far, and expecting much more.

chickweed February 6th, 2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperhead212 (Post 458405)
Watching it get covered, deeper and deeper...

Up to 16" so far, and expecting much more.

I am NOT living vicariously through you:D

bughunter99 February 6th, 2010 04:52 PM

Starting leeks, eggplants and peppers and trying really hard to put off starting the tomatoes.

izitmidnight February 6th, 2010 07:05 PM

Well, i just harvested some broccoli. Only three more heads left in the garden. This is the first time I've grown it. It sure tastes better than what's in the stores!

blackberrygrl February 6th, 2010 10:11 PM

Watched the snow fall, watched the dog run through the snow-covered garden, and moved my newly sprouted onion seeds under the lights.

noobgahdnuh February 7th, 2010 02:05 AM

just completely overloading my brain with garden info before I set out on my mission to have a stellar garden this year!

delynnr February 8th, 2010 06:55 PM

My garden has been under snow since before Thanksgiving. It is snowing again today. I have been wanting to mulch my garlic a bit more, but I am just hoping it survives the winter. I guess I am glad it is not muddy because that would mean more muddy dog prints in the house.

carolyn1998 February 8th, 2010 07:55 PM

Just finished setting out 36 tomato plants (15 different kinds). Also finished planting my potatoes along with garlic, onion, peas. All my fall planted greens are still producing well and the broccoli is coming along nicely.

HillsideDigger February 8th, 2010 08:44 PM

I'm still waiting for the snow to melt and there's more snow expected tomorrow and night.

Such snow hasn't delayed planting bed preparation here in over 14 years.

tashak February 9th, 2010 12:07 AM

Reading the SandHill growing info on sweet potatoes and being tempted by their bargain assortments.
Wondering if the compost piles will have any volunteers. And if anything selfseeded from last year, think the millet and amaranth might have.
Admiring the shallots and garlic and chives starting to show life again. (But they might be covered with snow later tonight.)

ellenr February 9th, 2010 06:30 AM

I'm yearning.

I have so much to do, and the snow keeps falling. And falling.
Another foot (?) expected tonite/tomorrow.
sigh...

When it ever stops snowing I have to:
Move my compst pile, re-do it.
Dig up a lot of my beds, where I do NOT want Salvia, 4 o'clock, and Gaillardia to re-seed.
Move Soapwort from the 'nursery' bed to the regular garden
Figure out a way to get rid of the Cup Plant, in the middle of the garden, which has gotten too big. My latest idea is to cover it with a rug.
I've gotta dig up a small tree, which I planted in my plot when it was 6 inches high and so cute, now it is a foot and a half, and really must go outside the garden.
sigh again :(

Spring dreaming.

whodat February 9th, 2010 10:04 AM

I don't have any snow, but it has sure been a rainy year so far. I know it's a good thing, since it rains a bit, stops for a day or two, rains a bit more.... just right to soak in and recharge the aquafers, I imagine. Still.... I just had to plant a little bit of spinach yesterday, in the tiny greenhouse (more of a shed). I don't know how it will do but at least I felt like I got my hands dirty. I had moved a bucketload of red wigglers from the worm bed into one of my growing beds to help break down from stuff that I had put in there a while back. I'm curious how that will do in the long run. Building up the garden plot has been a very long-term project, but it gets better every year.

chilesprout February 9th, 2010 11:13 AM

No snow here, but blessed rain for our parched earth! I planted Hungarian blue breadseed poppies, carrots, red mustard, rapini, letuce and erected a big pvc conduit tee pee with plastic trellising sewn on (not very "cradle to cradle" but it will last several years). Sugar snap peas and kale are planted around that. It has an opening on one side so it will eventually be a really cool kid hideout. Now I am making seed bed markers.

Amaranthos February 9th, 2010 11:20 AM

Starting cabbage, onion and leek seeds on racks above my steam radiators, and transferring the sprouted trays to shelves under lights. Counting snowflakes. ack.

noobgahdnuh February 9th, 2010 11:40 AM

Tilled in about 4 or 5 bags of gypsum and a bunch of chicken poop into this CLAY! Will be adding compost when it stops raining. Also, starting my peppers and toms today.

bekajoi February 9th, 2010 05:41 PM

I'm planning. And planning. And planning some more. There is a thick-ish (for my area anyway) layer of snow on the ground so I can't physically do anything outside right now... but I've got someone coming this weekend to help remove some gravel from the side of the house and that will help level off a bit of the yard and help me prep it. They get to take the rocks with them for their own project so it works out well! :)

I need to finish with the planning so I know what to plant! I know I need to start my onions and leeks soon, since they take ages before they can go outside...

TastyofHasty February 10th, 2010 08:17 PM

I need to catalog my seeds on the computer ... so I know what I still have, what I've run out of. This is the first step, reminding myself to DO it. :o

hikingonthru February 15th, 2010 02:08 AM

I am looking at my half-grown brussel sprouts with the remnants of a snow on them. My neighbor told me that snow puts nitrogen on the ground. Anyone got a thought on that? I see that my composter bin leaves have settled a good bit...so I need to turn them I am planning what to put in the ground and prepping to start my seeds. I need ACRES for all the toms I want to plant. I need at least 1/2 acre just for herbs alone! Looking at some taters sprouting in the bin and thinking they may be just right bout tater planting time!

hikingonthru February 15th, 2010 03:06 PM

Looking out at the cold blue sky and being glad it was not more snow. Here in the south, we have to take it in spurts. Too much and we get a little loopy!

OK...I have lots of CARBON in the form of dead leaves. I was looking around to find some local sources of N that I could mix into the pile and help get it cooking.

Am perusing the Heavenly Seed LLC catalog. www.heavenlyseed.net Reading that velvet beans (not for human consumption) can break the nematode cycle. Interesting! Anyone try these?

chickweed February 18th, 2010 06:50 AM

Planning....and waiting for the ground to dry so I can plant peas...

Desert Rat February 18th, 2010 09:43 AM

Getting ready to amend the soil in a spot for a few potatoes, gotta get them in now or it'll be too late. All that rain a few weeks ago has kept it too wet til now. Also getting some potting soil together ala Train so I'll have it on hand when the transplants go in, still need blood meal and greensand to finish that up. My broccoli raab and asian greens are bolting due to the almost 80 deg. temps we've had this week so I'll be pulling and cooking them up to freeze. Going to start pulling more turnips as the aphids are taking over and need the space for squash and cukes in a couple of weeks. I like turnips and the greens but don't know if I'll plant them again because of the aphids and loopers. They don't seem to go for the kale, red mustard or beets so I may stick with them in the future. Going to be another beautiful day so I better get started before it warms up too much.

SherylGallant February 18th, 2010 09:55 AM

Doing planning, lots and lots of planning. We have decided that we want to do the CSA thing next year. We could do it this year but want to make sure we can produce enough vegetables every week of the year, so we are doing a lot of planning. We will only take on as many customers as we think we can handle next spring.

We are starting another vegetable garden in the empty field on the other side of the parking lot. Hopefully by next spring it will be a good place to plant. Putting in lots of manure and compost this year and growing peas and beans in it.

We can grow a lot of produce with planning.

jlwbc4 February 18th, 2010 08:22 PM

What are loopers?

ellenr February 19th, 2010 04:31 AM

I have SO much to do and can't even get into the garden due to snow.
What I need to do -
Re-do the compost pile. I have too many large sticks and such that will take forever to decompose. I'm going to re-do it with leaves and kitchen waste.

I have a lot of digging to do. Usually I like re-seeds as they make for lazy gardening. This time I don't want the re-seeds so I have a lot of digging.

I have a lot of clean-up to do, cutting down, pulling up.

I have annuals to wintersow, but not yet.

so basically all I am doing is waiting and getting increasingly fed up with this winter weather! :mad:

ellen

TastyofHasty February 19th, 2010 08:55 AM

Planted a couple kinds of lettuce seed, asparagus seed, escarole, cauliflower, and broccoli seed in seed trays two days ago. Just set them on shelves in the south-facing window, inside, no extra heat.

I HAVE to get out there and dormant spray my peach tree! This is the first step ... ruminating about it.

And I have a couple little English walnut trees in pots (bought and planted in pots last year, they were so tiny) that need to get planted soon ... and a couple extra gingkos grown from seed still in pots, that are about ready to plant ... ruminating ... :rolleyes:

kellygirrl February 22nd, 2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TastyofHasty (Post 469128)
I HAVE to get out there and dormant spray my peach tree! This is the first step ... ruminating about it.

Gak! So do I! Some stonefruits, anyway. Do you do it more than once? Lime-sulphar spray or what?

tashak February 22nd, 2010 02:50 AM

Growing snow.

chickweed February 22nd, 2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tashak (Post 471306)
Growing snow.

It reseeds rather quickly:D

w8in4dave February 22nd, 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tashak (Post 471306)
Growing snow.

Yup today it was ice and snow :D

hikingonthru February 22nd, 2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwbc4 (Post 468757)
What are loopers?

Evil little things.

hikingonthru February 22nd, 2010 08:29 PM

With my clay soil and potato rot issues...wondering if you could dig a hole and do a sort of drywell situation for taters. Make a big hole a few feet deep, line bottom with excess gravel, fill will sand/compost/clay mix in bottom and just add more as the tater plant grows upwards? (Where I hope to be moving, they really do frown on stacked tires in the yard....first time dealing with a HOA).

coozandra February 22nd, 2010 08:54 PM

picking winter cress snacks. plant peas soon.

morninglorie February 24th, 2010 03:58 PM

:p You kiddin' ? Like some other posters, I see snow when i look at my garden....... phooey ! :mad:

Can't get out there till April, probably. What i'm about to do is plant parsley in a pot in a sunny window. Don't laugh.......it's a start ! ;)

kellygirrl February 26th, 2010 05:20 PM

Morninglorie: check www.wintersown.org and the thread active on IDig now. It's fantastic. (still, zone 3, yikes)

I have recycled plastic containers starting up in my front yard again, with brassicas and cruciferouses and flowers and all kinds of things. Some of them will sprout in the containers sitting in snow, and get planted out good and early.

w8in4dave February 26th, 2010 07:44 PM

Ok kg...brassicas and cruciferouses ?? What is that??

gerry March 1st, 2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikingonthru (Post 471939)
With my clay soil and potato rot issues...wondering if you could dig a hole and do a sort of drywell situation for taters. Make a big hole a few feet deep, line bottom with excess gravel, fill will sand/compost/clay mix in bottom and just add more as the tater plant grows upwards? (Where I hope to be moving, they really do frown on stacked tires in the yard....first time dealing with a HOA).

We didn't have a really good association back in Oregon. People pretty much ignored it. (You painted your hose blue and didn't get approval???)

I have some taters that overwintered. They were well mulched. I wonder how they made it thru the winter, the coldest winter in 10 or 15 years.

Mt.Imagine March 1st, 2010 06:18 PM

I'm in the greenhouse every morning, pollinating the melons, watermelons, and zucchini inside (the cucumbers in there are parcenthocarpic OP, so I don't need to do anything.) Outside, my other cucumbers are putting out tasty pickle-sized snacks, and the two black prince vines loaded with tomatoes are starting to change color. I'm mentally preparing for a big planting right now; the curcubica ficifolia, yacon (including the seeds I managed to produce), oca, and lettuce salsify are soon ready for planting, as are the last three tamarillo trees. There seems to be a bit of a drought here--we've had much less rain than past winters, which is good to get ride of the weeds, but... I'm going to have to find a solution for my two avocado trees, which have leaf loss and lots of burnt brown shades on the ones which remain; in my dream last night they already had fruit on them, only the fruit looked more like peaches.

Sister Fearless March 1st, 2010 06:51 PM

Have garlic and chives up. Planted some purple cone flowers and borage. My valarian, peopnys, mint, and lemon balm are all back up as well as feverfew, and my asparagus!

In my south facing windowed in front porch i have broccoli, peas, cauliflower, bruss sprouts, basil, cucmbers, and snake gourds starting.

I will be planting more in the next two weeks. We have had such a warm and early spring here. Is it el nina or el nino?? I forget.

bellzeybubba March 1st, 2010 08:24 PM

waiting
waiting
waiting
Ok that's not entirely true. Yesterday I transferred my tomato seedlings to (relatively) larger pots. I did a bit of weeding. I spent a couple hours with the ornamentals cutting back perennials and feeding the spring bloomers. I harvested a little lettuce and a couple small carrots that were super awesome but now I'm just waiting for the rest to get bigger along with all the other stuff in the garden slowly growing. Waiting waiting waiting.

bellzeybubba March 1st, 2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 474990)
Ok kg...brassicas and cruciferouses ?? What is that??

Brassicas and cruciferouses are plants in the mustard family - cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collards, mustards, all kinds of other greens, etc. Brassicas are the specific genus that contains all the cabbages and mustards. Crucifers are the entire family including radishes & other related plants. They're called crucifers because the flowers have 4 petals and make a cross shape.

TWC015 March 1st, 2010 09:57 PM

I finally got some onion plants out yesterday. I sowed radish seed as well. Brussels sprouts growing again.

jlwbc4 March 1st, 2010 11:15 PM

I finally planted my lettuce and spinach (lots of spinach). Filled 2 more raised beds, ready for peas to go in tomorrow. Plan on filling 2 more beds tomorrow, and if have time radishes and parnips in one. Should start on herb section soon....

chickweed March 2nd, 2010 06:39 AM

Waiting for this next winter storm to go through and customizing computer workbork to keep up with everything. This time last year, seedlings were popping up everywhere!

suki harada March 3rd, 2010 01:24 PM

Hi I'm brand new to this forum, I live in ABQ. near Old Town and find that the bolok "Down to Earth" published by Albuquerque Area Extension Master Gardeners is great! Hope to have tomatoes this year after a poor year last year-north valley had that virus. Just a hello to a fellow New Mexican.

suki harada March 3rd, 2010 01:33 PM

My seeds have sprung! We have a little green house area with a long shelf so this year I got an early start-my Greek Basil, Japanese long cukes, banana peppers, copia tomatoes re up. I am waiting to see the Vhinese 5 color peppers. First time I've tried these. While I babysit seedlings and transplant to bigger pots as needed my husband is preping siol in our raised beds. he spent weekend pruning roses and hosing off our baby evergreens. A few years ago we decided to have an evergreen forest on the NE part of property. Now we have squirrels and woodpeckers and owls hanging lout. Starting awhile ago, when our grape vines matured we have raccoons as regulars. Fun! So it is soil prep, amend if needed, pruning, and repotting seedlings.

VA Gardener March 3rd, 2010 02:28 PM

Planted seeds of spinach, lettuce, peas, radishes, parsley and dill last week in my raised beds (square foot gardens actually).
Planting broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts transplants this week.
That will do it for the spring crops.
Ordered all of the seeds for the summer crops, as well as tomato, pepper and ground cherry transplants (will be shipped in the later part of April).
Nothing came up yet - can't wait.
We had a hard winter in Virginia this year. Looking forward to a nice spring and summer.

jlwbc4 March 3rd, 2010 05:21 PM

I put in peas, parsnips, radishes, and beets. In went blueberry plants, concord grapes, rasperries and blackberries. In the house are zinnias, marigolds, and cantaloupe. Tomorrow, sweet peas here I come!

tashak March 3rd, 2010 05:24 PM

Waiting out the week's coming storms, very cold higher wind speed todaqy. I did bring in three or four 4" starter pots today so their soil would be warmer for indoor starts.

Crocodile March 3rd, 2010 05:55 PM

I am doing some much-needed work on my garden paths. I'm removing old mulch and trying to dig out some some hateful grass (I think it's quackgrass) that is growing everywhere.

lorna-organic March 3rd, 2010 05:56 PM

Hello, Suki, welcome to Idig. I live about 35 miles south of you.

I direct sowed two types of spinach seeds today. Yesterday I planted sprouted strawberry roots. There is no sign of activity from the seeds I put in last week. I do have volunteer arugula sprouting in one garden, so I don't think it is too early to plant greens. We shall see...

w8in4dave March 4th, 2010 10:11 PM

W8in4thegarden2thaw

PCKGRat March 5th, 2010 02:07 AM

Just did some Midnight gardening. Prepped the bean bed with some rich organic juice bar slush + coffee grounds + bumper crop. I'm thinking of rimming it in Marigolds, but I don't know whether beans like Marigolds or not. I am going to plant from the inside out, I think. Maybe in a circle and add to the outside as new seedlings emerge. It depends on how much space I have. I am thinking of putting the beans out on Sunday if the weather holds. They have been outside daily in the shade of the porch. I might need to harden them off a bit more though.

TastyofHasty March 5th, 2010 08:17 AM

Trying to get the tiller started.

Neighbors brought a truckload of horse manure, which got spread across the back of the garden.

Used a homemade dormant spray on the peach, plum, almond, and one gol-durn Manchurian apricot tree yesterday:

Quote:

For one gallon of water,
5 Tablespoons of Hydrogen peroxide
2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons of a Castile soap
After mixing this material into my sprayer I find that if I shake this mixture vigorously it seems to blend up very well. I often agitate this material during application as well to ensure continued mixing. The reason I use Castile soaps is that they are of natural origin (most begin with olive oil) and they are rich in potassium salts that are known to eat
through the protective waxy coating (cuticle) on insects. This exposes pests to the elements and often causes them to lose body fluids, thus eliminating them. The hydrogen peroxide and the baking soda are very effective at removing active disease organisms and sterilizing fungal spores.
Today I hope to get around to using a store-bought "Volck Oil" dormant spray on at least the peach tree.

w8in4dave March 5th, 2010 09:45 PM

Sounds like there is some movin goin on...

Maelstrom March 6th, 2010 02:45 AM

After three beautiful days, got the garden tilled, added org matter and fert and tilled once again.

Got an addition few rows of garlic and shallots in, and started prepping for next weeks seeds (carrots, turnips, rutabagas and parsnips). Also thinking about getting greens in.

This morning I wake up...to snow. A R G H.

tashak March 6th, 2010 02:51 PM

Waiting for the winds to die down--too windy to plant lettuce and spinach seeds, still a little early for peas.

jlwbc4 March 6th, 2010 03:46 PM

Woke up this afternoon (I work nights), watered in my PJ's. Who cares what the neighbors think.:D:D:eek:

Saw the first hint of green in one of the beds. Hope them's turnips!!!

bughunter99 March 6th, 2010 05:29 PM

I moved the peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants out to the coldframe for six hours today, for a bit of fresh air.

w8in4dave March 6th, 2010 09:00 PM

w8in4spring :D W8in4warmerdays :D

tashak March 6th, 2010 09:55 PM

Tulip leaves have been up for a fortnight, first narcissus leaves up today, and what seem to be grape hyacinth leaves up about a week. Chives and crocus up a couple weeks, and pulling weeds several times a week for the ducks and hens.
Garlic (frostnetted) leaves 6'9" tall, and not frostnetted 3-5" tall.
Hoping for no breeze/wind tomorrow so I can plant some small seeded cool weather greens and roots.
Nice to see some green stuff.

reavilh March 7th, 2010 07:13 AM

I got about 1/3 of the garden worked up yesterday. Tilled in some compost and lime. If the rain holds off, I'll plant my lettuce, onions, radishes, and greens today.

Love My Garden March 7th, 2010 09:00 AM

Today.....am sowing peas and onions, lettuce and spinach!!!:D and trying to figure out how to get rid of the bunny without killing him....possibly offer him a plane ticket to go visit relatives....:D

w8in4dave March 7th, 2010 09:12 AM

Oh I guess I am wintersowing tomatoes to go in my garden so I am doing something

Direct Sunlight March 7th, 2010 10:55 AM

Tried burning off fallen tree limbs (after the record-setting snow) I set up in my garden space for a bonfire, but only a few of the limbs burned. I guess those scrub oaks in the front yard are more alive than I thought! Now I get to figure out what to do with them until they dry out and can be burned, so they don't get in the way.

My wife took that 8-12 weeks they recommended and started some plants indoors Super Bowl Sunday. Results: one pepper, one eggplant, 10 tomatoes, 0 strawberry, 0 cassabanana. The strawberry is slow to grow I heard. I planted some more two weeks later when we got some more supplies. 35 pots haven't done anything yet.

word-doctor March 7th, 2010 05:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We've had terrible weather here, and it's been a struggle in our gumbo clay. The fence is to keep our dogs out.

Pic 1: Before, in January. One 16x4 bed and one 24x4 bed, made with scavenged landscape timbers. Big mess.

Pic 2: #2 son loves to work.

Pic 3: Here are about 2/3 of the bricks I pulled out of the clay; a long, misguided attempt at walkways (criminy--where did I GET them all?)... and...

word-doctor March 7th, 2010 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 4: After. Went from 160 ft/sq to 313, and moved 6 yards of garden soil yesterday and today.

We're ready for some serious growing!!!

hikingonthru March 7th, 2010 06:19 PM

VERY LATE in putting my mater seeds in the peat pots. VERY late. But, better late than .... well u all know.

hikingonthru March 7th, 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by word-doctor (Post 479915)
Pic 3: Here are about 2/3 of the bricks I pulled out of the clay; a long, misguided attempt at walkways (criminy--where did I GET them all?)... and...

That brickpile looks like the start of a good raised bed! Strawberries, anyone?

tashak March 7th, 2010 07:14 PM

Still derocking plots--may give up on one boulder.
And adding shredded newspaper and aged manure to some of the plots.

lj in ny March 7th, 2010 08:02 PM

I started my tomato seeds today. We still have 6" of snow still on the ground...

EmeraldSkye March 7th, 2010 08:35 PM

We built two 3'x16'x12" raised beds in the garden today! Now I just have to fill them and get them in use. Eventually we may build one more of the same dimension and two that are 3'x5'.

Nokiaj March 8th, 2010 06:31 AM

Broccoli is about the size of a half dollar, collards looking good, cauliflower growing, garlic looking nice... seeds sowed indoors: beans, peas, carrots, radishes, zucchini, can't remember it all. Not one seed has started sprouting...I'm praying for a great garden this year. I do have tomatoes - unsure of what they are as they just sprouted on their own in the greenhouse! Many things in the greenhouse from the winter, white sage, all herbs....Can t' wait until i have goodies to transplant to my well-prepared outdoor garden! I worked in cow manure, top soil, compost and mulch two weeks ago so I'm once again, hoping for the best!

gerry March 8th, 2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TastyofHasty (Post 478548)
Trying to get the tiller started.

Hallelujah!! Warm weather and no rain! I'm so far behind plan that I gave up and tried to start the tiller. :( Now to call the BIL for help with that and the shredder he gave me and forgot about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 479100)
Sounds like there is some movin goin on...

That often happens this time of year. :) I've got 8 trays of sprouts just about ready to go out. I guess it's dig fast time and cover it all up before the rain returns tomorrow night. :eek: And off to pick up a load or two of compost in my brand new (to me) pickup truck.

(New pictures on the blog later today.)

jeffinsgf March 8th, 2010 08:13 AM

Over the weekend I planted a hundred Granex onion plants. I set out a dozen cabbages plus lettuce, endive and escarole that I started a few weeks ago. I direct seeded some arugula and spinach. I potted up my peppers and eggplant. The tomatoes that I put in the germination tray last week all popped together between Friday and Saturday.

Crocodile March 8th, 2010 08:33 AM

Got the quackgrass dug out from my two main (4' wide) paths over the weekend. I still have to work on two of my minor (18" wide) paths. That is one hateful weed.

I also was able to cultivate my bed that has the strawberry border! I removed a bunch of weeds and planted 10 sq. ft. of radishes, 4 sq. ft. of peas, and 1 square foot each of endive (frisee), arugula, chicory, radicchio, claytonia, mibuna, mizuna, and green wave mustard. I wanted to plant some spinach, too, but the rain was starting up.

This is the earliest I've ever planted anything, and I have no idea how much will grow and how much will freeze. I think all of the things I planted are pretty cold hardy, so I have high hopes!

In case anyone wants to know which radishes I planted: Cherry Belle (x2 ft), Round Black Spanish, Zlata, Candela di Fuoco, Long Black Spanish, Hildsblauer Blue Winter, White Icicle, Watermelon, and Purple Plum.

Ohiorganic March 8th, 2010 08:43 AM

Soil testing is what we are doing. Oh and pruning trees and brambles. have started spring planting in hoop houses. Too much snow still on the ground to plant outside but maybe by this evening it will all be gone.

californiaangel March 8th, 2010 12:32 PM

Tomatoes growing in the garage (no greenhouse) - 24 little bitty plants now in 4 inch pots but tomatillo did not germinate. Cukes germinating in the house window. 3 kinds of peppers, 3 kinds of melons, 1 pumpkin, huckleberry, too much zucchini (as always) have all germinated in little six packs. Waiting on eggplant and other summer veggies to germinate. In the yard plenty of lettuce, onions, scallions, radishes, peas (plants - no pods), and 3 bean plants (miracle plants from last year that germinated this year on their own in a totally different bed). Mostly setting up structures and waiting out the rain. El Nino indeed!

EcoSafeMom March 8th, 2010 12:45 PM

I have 22 tomato seedlings that I've transplanted most of at least once into larger containers. They're starting to get their third leaves.

My peppers (King of the North) and my eggplant failed to germinate. I think I need one of those warming mats.

I bought a 100 watt full spectrum bulb and put it in a lamp over my seedlings and I have it on 14 hours a day as well as them being on a table in the only western facing window of the house.

I planted one of my 1/2 barrel containers full of sugar snap peas (some I saved from last year just to see what they would do and happily they're germinating).

I have volunteer broccoli and chard from last year already coming up in the garden. I weeded and aerated 1/2 of the raised bed garden and removed the soil in 1/4 that was contaminated by a wormy feral cat.

All of my 1/2 barrel containers that are empty are ready to go. One has strawberries coming back, and one I'll be putting my onions and ginger in.

HillsideDigger March 8th, 2010 08:47 PM

I planted the first bed of the season today, wando peas and 2 to 3 weeks later than the last several years. There was snow laying on the ground within site.

w8in4dave March 8th, 2010 09:01 PM

I think I saw some swiss chard coming up from last year.....

TXDirtDog March 8th, 2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 480513)
I think I saw some swiss chard coming up from last year.....

Poor w8in4dave, I know ya hate sittin' on the sidelines right now, but your time is a-comin'. Hang in there girl. You'll be gettin your dirt under your nails before ya know it.:)

Maelstrom March 9th, 2010 01:25 PM

Argh...

Beautiful week last week. Nice mild temps (for this time of year) ranging from 5 C - 16 C (lows/highs).

I was able to get out in the garden and till. Not once, but twice (600 sq meters). First to break up the ground that had been packed down and get the last remaining bits of corn stalks I missed last autumn into the ground, and the second to mix in the amendments, improve the tilth a bit more and get some O2 into the ground.

Got the spring garlic/shallots rows planted next to the fall ones, and formed the rows for the leek and onion transplants (with room for lettuce and carrots interspersed) as well as the beds for the turnips/rutabegas/parsnips/salsify (prepped).

Queue this week (when I was actually going to plant the above mentioned rows) at 5 weeks before the last average frost). Highs 0 or 1. Lows -8 or so. So cold in fact (for the season) that it caught me unawares the first night and I lost 4 tomatoes to frost damage that were next to the windows in the greenhouse. The heater was on, but only in fan mode -- it got to -.6 for short period and was enough to damage the plants enough to kill them. Oh well, 140 or so left ;) But still, hate to see such nice looking plants go before their time.

Now with all the wind (and it's drying effects), the ground frozen again, looks like I'm down for the week (at least in the garden). I was even planning to prep the brasscia and potato patches this week. Urmph.

Watching the news, though, Looks like Spain and Corsica are *really* getting the raw end of the deal... 40 cm of snow overnight in those regions at this time of year -- Ouch!

LBP March 9th, 2010 02:11 PM

I'm actually tilling tonight! At least enough ground to put in my onion sets! Can't wait to smell "dirt" again!

klorentz March 9th, 2010 02:23 PM

Getting ready to start mater and pepper seeds and a few eggplant.The prob is choosing which maters and peppers to start first.:D

Kevin

hikingonthru March 9th, 2010 02:23 PM

Seeded 48 beefsteak maters and 24 bell peppers in peat pots.

alexiadevenuzia March 9th, 2010 02:34 PM

Just got a 15x15 parcel in a garden and spent Sunday pulling the old dead plants out and turning the soil. Now I am planning on what I should add to the soil to make it the best soil possible. I also might remove the old flimsy raised beds and redesign the whole garden to maximize the most real estate out of it. I also watched some YouTube videos on how to make trellis's and bean/tomato cages, etc. I've been been making a list of the vegetables I want to grow and looking into seeds online as well as transplant plants from a local nursery. I also think it would be so fun to plant a few types of flower seeds in different sections to make the garden extra pretty. Also am keeping one corner free so that I can put an old chair in that corner, a foot stool and have a nice place to go read a book or write in my journal, when I visit my garden. I'm SO excited about this new garden! Any tips on what to add to the dirt for my area, would be most welcome. I'm in So Cal, the beach area. Thank you!

chickweed March 9th, 2010 03:16 PM

Clean up, clean up, and more clean up!

chilesprout March 9th, 2010 03:50 PM

planted some broccoli, carrots, beets, beans and corn. Did more layer mulching with cardboard and compost over weedy areas to smother the weeds. I have amazing worm activity in my soil now. They are really churning it up out there. I'm brewing compost tea with a little air pump and the plants just love it. I found a Lapins cherry tree on sale and brought it home. It loves the tea as well. I planted some black raspberry canes and some more bluberry bushes. Over all very busy, we have had strangly cold weather and a good amount of rain this winter.

PCKGRat March 9th, 2010 08:28 PM

Transplanted half the pepper babies today. There's over 25 more to transplant.

The beans have been hardening off and will need to get into their plot soon. The weather is not behaving.

The toms are in the ground and I want to get the zukes and cukes going (not tonight though). I need some more pots. I am running low on them and wanted the zucchini to have some room to grow before transplant.

startover gardener March 9th, 2010 11:20 PM

I have had a few good days. I planted my replacement trees in the orchards. My wife and I planted a lot of bulbs, and I got started in on the pruning . The space under the lights is full, the early stuff will need to go out soon. This work window came at just the right moment. It is nice to be able to do things outside again.

tashak March 10th, 2010 10:08 AM

Snowing again here, probably not getting any outside stuff done now today since it is still below freezing and winds are forecast stronger later today....
Back to reading growing information in catalogs, books, and online, and trying to figure out the most effective succession planting for here, maybe starting some indoor seeds soon, especially the three tomato seed trialing ones.